Above is a picture of the new church, below is a picture of the monument commemorating the Ministers and Vestry of Wicomico Parish. They do not list the name of John Leland, Jr., and they have the dates for David Currie and John Leland, Sr. confused.
"The third church, completed in 1771, was the largest
colonial church in Virginia."
The History of Wicomico Parish page vi
The third church was built on the same plan as Christ Church in Lancaster County. If you wish to see what the 3rd Church may have looked like this link will take you to American Memory search "Historic American Buildings", Virginia-Lancaster County-Kilmarnock vincinity
| " Know all men by these presents
that we John Wily and Anthony Sydnor are held and firmly bound unto Thomas
Gaskins and Charles Copedge Gent. Church Wardens of the Parish of Wicooomoco
in the County of Northumberland & Colony of Virginia their heirs &
successors in the penal sum of Two thousand pounds. To the which
payment well and truly to be made unto the said Church wardens their heirs
and successors. We bind ourselves our and every of our heirs Exors
and Admrs Jointly and severally firmly by these presents sealed with our
Seales and Dated this 5th day of October 1763. - -
"The Conditions of the above Obligation is such That Whereas the above bound John Wily hath this day agreed with the above named Thomas Gaskins and Charles Copedge Gent. Church wardens of the said Parish of Wicocomoco in the County of Northld and Colony of Virginia. To build a Neat Brick Church near the old one, where the said Church wardens shall appoint, in the sd. Parish of Wicocomoco, Seventy Five feet in Length and Thirty feet in Wedth with a Cross of the same Length and Wedth from out to out, the Foundation to be sunk two feet in the ground, and to be well ram'd if required, To be four feet and a half thick to the surface of the Earth, And from thence to rise four feet of the thickness of three feet to the water table, and from thence to rise Eighteen feet to the Top of the Wall, of the Thickness of two feet seven inches and a half, the hight of the Wall from the Surface of the Earth to the Top being Twenty two feet, the Bricks to be Nine inches Long and two & a half thick, the Frame to be of good Oak or Poplar, the Doors and Windows to be of the same hight and width of those in Christ Church, in proportion to the hight of the Wall, the bricks over the Tops of the Doors and Windows to be Rub'd work, to have three Ox Eye Windows one in each end over the door as in Christ Church, th have the same number of pews and Windows as the Plan directs, that will be delivered to the undertaker, the pews to be Wainscotted & paneled, Three Gallerys of Twelve feet high from the floor of the Church to the floor of the Galleries, to be Eighteen feet wide, and to have four pews in each, with an Isle at the back of each three feet wide, to be well shingled with the best Cypress Shingles at least Eighteen inches long, upon inch pine plank, the windows to be Glazed with good Crown glass, the body of the Church and Ceiling to be well Plaistered and white wash'd - - Iron hinges and bolts to the pew doors, the Floors, pews and doors to be of good pine plank, the Allies to be laid with good Flag Stone, a Lock and bolt to the front Door and a sufficient Bar and Bolt to the other doors, the Altar to be Neatly Wainscotted with good pine plank as high as the windows, the Rails and Bannisters to be of good Popler, painted of the same Coulour with the rest of the Church, the whole to be a Neat Brown, a Neat Pulpit and roomly Desk, the pews to be of the same hight and the benches of the same width of those in Christ Church, to have a Neat Modation Cornish round the Eyes, the Cornish Doors and Windows to be neatly painted on the out side with white Lead, the Galleries to be supported with turned and fluted Collumns, the wall to be well grouted every three courses, to have a compass Ceiling and the Roof agreeable to the plan. The whole to be completed in Four years from the fifth day of October next ensuing in a neat strong and workmanlike manner by the undertaker. Four hundred pounds to be paid at the day of the undertaking. Four hundred pounds more two years afterwards and the remainder at the finishing of the work. Now if the said John Wily shall well and truly perform, fulfill and keep all the Articles and Clauses above mentioned - That then the above Obligation to be void, otherwise to remain in full force and power and virtue - Memd before signed, that the doors and windows and corners of the sd Church to be Rubbed work-
Signed, Sealed and Delivered in
Presence of William Angel, Kemp Hurst,
Moses Lunsford, Geo. Dawson,
At Court Held for Northumberland County the 8' day of April 1765-
This Bond from Jno Wily and Anthony Sydnor to Thomas Gaskins and
Charles Copedge, Gt. Churchwardens of Wicocomoco Parish,
was proved by the oaths of William Angel, Kemp Hurst, Moses Lunsford
and George Dawson.
Witnesses thereto & admitted to Record.
"The History of Wicomico Parish, including 1703-1795 Vestry Minutes"
"Part I of this book consists of the Wicomico Parish Vestry Minutes from 1703 to 1795, which are published here for the first time. These minutes, complete with an index of names and events, provide a fascinating glimpse into the lives of the people who settled Northumberland County. The vestry minutes describe the concerns of the immediate church, such as hiring the minister: repairing the building; providing wine, bread, and ornaments; and present the activities of the vestrymen who were charged with care of the parish community. The vestrymen saw to the needs of the indigent, insane and bastards, provided men to work on the roads, conducted land processionings every three years to define the bounds adjoining properties, levied tithes upon the inhabitants (primarily landowners) of the parish, elected churchwardens, who brought offenders against the moral and ecclesiastical law before the court for judgment. The minutes also provide insight into the activities of the colonists, who were required to attend church or be fined five hundred pounds of tobacco. Part II contains a brief narrative history of the events leading to the rise of four different churches on the same site. The third church was the largest colonial church in Virginia, completed in 1771. Soon after its completion, the American Revolution brought the separation of church and state, which ended the church's ability to tithe its parishioners; the church fell into ruin and was demolished in 1840. The bricks were sold, gravestones stolen, and the communion silver was sent off for safekeeping. The congregation dwindled, and Wicomico Church became dormant for more than forty years. In time, the congregation grew, meeting in homes and an abandoned schoolhouse. In 1882, Wicomico Church was officially reestablished. The present 1902 church building, Wicomico's fourth, stands roughly on the side of the second church, and the congregation is active and healthy once more. The History of Wicomico Parish, including 1703-1795 Vestry Minutes, a 240 page paperback, is available at $32.00 each plus $3.50 shipping. To order copies of the book, which is in its second printing, please make checks payable to Wicomico Parish Book and mail to: Wicomico Parish Book, Wicomico Episcopal Church, P.O. Box 321, Wicomico Church, VA 22579."
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids