Search billions of records on




This is an attempt to put together any notes or information gathered about these relatives during this period of time. Almost all of what has been compiled thus far has been relatives from the South, who were soldiers of the Confederate States of America (C.S.A.)  These are ancestry of the Robertson and the Vann lines, who  are all southerners for generations. There are a few Union soldiers from the Owen lines. As new information is obtained it will be added.  Fortunately, some of the ancestor’s families recorded stories about those relatives that fought in the civil war, and because of that we have a bit more information than you can get just from government records.


WILLIAM HENRY WISE (1826-1910) Great Grandfather (son of Preston Wise)

Served in the Confederate States Army (CSA) and was badly wounded during the Civil War.  Enlisted 4 Mar 1862 in the "Bulloch Guards." (Age 36)  Was a 1st Corporal in Company C, 47th Regt. Georgia Volunteer Infantry, Army of  Tennessee , CSA, 12 May1862.  Transferred to Co. K, 47th Regt. GA. Infantry 22 Nov 1862.Wounded 30 Nov 1864 in left shoulder and arm at the Battle of Honey Hill, in Jasper Co.,  South Carolina .  His wounds were treated with emergency battlefield surgery. He was retained for treatment in field infirmary and admitted 22 Dec 1864 , to 2nd Div., 20th  Corps CSA Hospital , with festered and unusable left arm.  The remains of his left arm were amputated at the socket on 23 Dec 1864.  On 16 Jan 1865 he was removed from the field, admitted to the Charleston CSA General Hospital 16 Jan 1865 for recovery.   He was medically discharged on 17 Apr 1865 and transported to  Savannah,  Georgia .

In the first week of December 1864 William was reported as missing and probably killed in action at Honey Hill, Jasper County, South Carolina  and later in the month he was posted as "Grievously Wounded in Action" at the Courthouse in Statesboro, Bulloch County, Georgia. Family members in Bulloch and  Bryan Counties, Georgia, were notified that he was alive, badly wounded, and of his whereabouts in South Carolina the third week in December 1864.

After he came home from the Civil War, he was affectionately known by family, friends, and neighbors as "ONE ARM BILL WISE."  He was disabled for the remainder of his life as a result of his wounds and loss of his left arm.

Descendants said that when he came home from the Civil War, Bill was physically weakened and could not do heavy labor.  He could no longer ride a horse, but got about town and his properties in a horse and buggy, or walked about greeting everyone. It's said that he was the best candidate for Mayor or County Representative, but Bill disliked politics and said he would have no part of being a politician.

His military and pension records from Washington Library in Macon, Georgia, indicate that he was wounded by a Minnie ball between the left elbow and shoulder at the battle of Honey Hill, South Carolina and that the left arm was removed at the shoulder socket shortly after the battle.  The pension applications list the date of the battle as the (blank) day of December 1864.  With that injury we can forgive him for not knowing that the battle was actually on November 30, 1864.  You can read an account of this battle by the Confederate commander, Gustavus W. Smith, Major‑General, CSA., beginning at page 667 of Volume IV of “Battles and Leaders of the Civil War”, Published by Castle, a division of Book Sales, Inc., Secaucus, N.J.  You can also find a discussion of this battle on pages 653 and 711 of Vol. 3 of  “The Civil War” by Shelby Foote, Vantage Books, a division of Random House, New York. The Civil War Almanac, World Almanac Publications, 1983, also lists November 30, 1864 as the date of the battle.

PETER HENRY STRICKLAND (1806-1875) Great Grandfather, (son of David J. Strickland).

Served in the Confederate Army during the Civil War.(Age 55)  Was a Private in Co. B, 1st Georgia Reserves, Bulloch Co., GA. Militia.  Served as a prison guard at the infamous Andersonville Prison, Sumter Co., GA.

JACOB WISE (1812-1891) Great Uncle (son of Preston Wise).

JAKE was  remembered by the old families of Liberty and Bryan Counties, Georgia for the role he played in the 1864 1865 (Age 52) Civil War defense and recovery of Militia District 19 of Bryan County, Georgia.  There were many stories of how Jake, his neighbors, and a number of  slaves desperately barricaded the old Clyde Pembroke Road, just west of Clyde, Georgia (not far from the old Courthouse), to spoil the Yankee's flanking attack on Fort McAllister and march onto Savannah .  After skirmishing and blocking the Yankees for four days (6-10 Dec 1864),  i.e., burning creek bridges from Clyde to the Savannah Road, his group was overwhelmed by shear numbers of Union troops and massive cannonading.  When the Yankees finally broke through,  Jake and his group evaded capture by hiding in nearby backwater swamps and woods.  After about two days of hiding, and much discussion, they unwillingly came out of the swamps cold and wet clean through and marched to the burned and damaged  Clyde courthouse to get help for their wounded, and to find and bury the dead.

At the Clyde Courthouse, Jake demanded that the Yankee soldiers help put out the fires they set, and provide medical help for the injured civilians.  He defied Yankee officers by refusing to give them information about Fort McAllister and back road map markings.  One story is that Jake kept disrupting their relentless questioning with offensive fuming and cussing at every Yankee officer who tried to question him.  He admonished them for their excessive cannonading, ransacking, raiding of homes and home gardens, for deliberately setting fire to the courthouse, homes, barns, outhouses, churches, and for the senseless killing of farm animals.  In later years Jake said he was outraged at the Yankees.  He thought it was one thing to forage from gardens and slaughter farm animals for food, but he heard Yankee officers order their men to gather up farm animals, and deliberately shoot and bayonet them, and leave the dead animals to bloat and rot where they fell or dump them into water wells throughout the area.  Jake said the Yankees spitefully shot and left mules, horses, dairy cows, and beef cattle inside homes and inside the Clyde Courthouse. Jake said he was hatefully outraged at the Yankees for deliberately burning people's homes, the Clyde courthouse, their jail, their corn and tobacco fields, and the three nearby sanctified churches.

Since Jake was the Military District official, he was arrested and carted away in chains.  Jake and one of his wounded sons [James] were taken to a war prisoner compound within  Fort McAllister , i.e., for taking up arms and public defiance of the Yankee authorities. His wife Polly and family friend Reverend Driggers [?], with their families, had previously fled Clyde and were camped in some woods near the Fort. To add to their problems, while at the Fort the Reverend Driggers received word from Jake's father that his brother William, who was in the Confederate Army, was posted missing and presumed killed during the Battle of Honey Hill, in Jasper Co., South Carolina.

On Christmas Eve, the Reverend [?] Driggers and Polly frantically pleaded with the Yankee Commander to release Jake and his son James from the prison.  They were successful, and Jake and his wounded son were found in the POW compound and conditionally released on Christmas day 1864.  Both father and son were honor bound to remain under house arrest until they accepted the Savannah surrender terms and signed "the paper," i.e., an Oath of Allegiance to the  Union.  The family story is that when the family returned to their ransacked plantation home, they found young relatives from Bulloch and Liberty Counties camped at his home site waiting to tell JAKE that his brother WILLIAM was alive but badly wounded and in a hospital somewhere in South Carolina. JAKE, Polly, and the family all cried, and gave thanks to the Lord, they said, for one of the best Christmas presents they had ever received.

Later they all walked the road to the area of Clyde Cemetery, where the town's big artesian well was located. The Yankees used this well in Clyde to water their men and horses, and did not contaminate it with dead animals when they left.  It was the only uncontaminated well for miles around where people could get drinking water.  At the the Clyde Cemetery, near the big well, the Reverend Driggers gathered the people and had them build and keep a large bonfire going.  That cold evening they held a Christmas service, sang carols, and afterward all slept around the bonfire. For about a month they kept the big bonfire going, and they gathered, butchered, and roasted stray pigs, chickens, and cattle to feed themselves and anyone else traveling near Clyde. The bonfire was so big that it could be seen for miles at night  and the word was that anyone needing help should come to it for food, clothing, water, warmth, and doctoring.  Also, all young boys took turns standing in the cold on the Savannah Road to give refugees directions to Clyde for food and help.  Jake's young sons Newt and Jasper remembered how their father sternly warned him to run for help for all hurt and older folks, and to stay away from anyone they thought was sick with the deadly smallpox or typhoid fever.

His son Newt recalled that large numbers of slaves slipped away from the Yankees at Fort McAllister and Savannah, and were trying to return to their plantations and families.  Jake gave strict instructions to Newt and the other boys to help the slaves, and to give them directions to Clyde through trails in the woods, since there were always patrols on the roads searching for Yankee deserters, Confederate soldiers, and slaves. When they arrived at Clyde, the slaves were fed, clothed, given blankets, and sheltered just like everyone else, but they had to hide in small camps hidden in the woods so the Yankees wouldn't take them back to Savannah in chains and send them to Mississippi.

In later years, the old folks of lower Bryan County called those first hard days after the invasion  "The Days of the Great Clyde Picnic." After the word was passed, other recovering communities built big bonfires and relief stations for the hungry, sick, and injured.  In the next few weeks, word spread and help came to devastated Bryan, Liberty, and Chatham counties from relatives all over southern and central Georgia. When relief wagons full of relatives came with help, they brought wagon loads of food, clean clothing and blankets, and sailcloth tents.  Many relatives brought mules and horses for Clyde officials to use.  Newt said all the youngsters had chores of gathering and burning spoiled clothes and blankets, to help prevent the dreaded smallpox and typhoid fever. They also hid corn, hams, chickens, and eggs in the woods, so the Yankee foragers wouldn't take the only food they had.  Newt said he remembered the women happily crying and singing the Church song "Glory, Glory, Glory" whenever a rescue wagon came into view.

Years later Jake said that times were really hard during those first weeks after the invasion.  He said the Yankees gave little help, and then only left them a few tents. The only food they had was what they found along the rivers, creeks, and backwater woods. Jake's son Newt said during this time he, his brothers, and cousins plucked enough chickens, butchered enough pigs, toted enough firewood, and boiled enough water to last their lifetimes.  Jake's son Jep remembered that some of the older boys caught large rattlesnakes and roasted them over the big bonfire. Jake's wife Polly, along with all other wives and young girls, worked day and night cooking food, washing and sewing clothes, making bandages for the injured, and setting up tents for the people traveling along Clyde Road.

Polly had her sons go to their home and tote her big heavy stewing kettle to the bonfire. Years later, at her funeral service, the story of Polly and her big stew pot was told.  It's said that during those first days after the invasion, you couldn't count the people Polly fed by making sure her big iron kettle was kept full of her "Everythin' Soup." This was a camp stew made from chunks of whatever they had, i.e., beef, pork, corn, Irish potatoes, sweet potatoes, grown and wild carrots and onions, rice, peas, etc., all cooked in twice‑boiled well water and flavored with crushed salt lick.  Some said that Polly would never admit it, but it was really her rusty old iron kettle and rattlesnake meat that made her "Everythin' Soup" so tasty and satisfying.

Polly kept the old and young women busy cooking, washing, and making do with blankets, bed clothes, and flour sacks gathered from abandoned houses or brought with them.  Polly said she busied herself to keep her mind, and that she gave herself and all the women around her only five minutes a day for a good cry, and then they had to keep themselves busy cooking, sewing, and "feathering the nest" to keep everything going.  Within a week, the women of Clydehad a tent for everything, i.e., a tent to tend infants in one place, a tent to store clean clothes, a food tent, an infirmary tent for the Doctor, etc.  Most of the husbands and teenage sons kept busy cutting trees, splitting logs, hauling wood, and making damaged homes livable again. The young daughters made bandages from bedclothes, and tended the infants, the old, and the sick.  One Preacher said that people of Clydebecame more than just neighbors during those cold and desperate days, and people never forgot what everyone did for friend and passing stranger alike.

While under home arrest, Jake and his leg‑wounded son James were supposed to stay on the plantation, and were forbidden to travel.  The family had two Yankee soldiers guarding and camping near his damaged and ransacked plantation home site.  Jake's older sons, nephews, and neighbor boys, buried Jake's dead farm animals, cut and split logs, made planking, and worked to fix up their home.  After Jake's son James escaped to  South Carolina, one Yankee guard followed Jake around, no matter where he went.  The guards were not allowed to make talk or accept anything from the family.  By the end of January 1865, about a month into house arrest, the Yankee guards and the Clyde Road outposts suddenly packed up and went to their big camp on the other side of the Ogeechee River.  Soon as the Yankees left, Jake said he applied some "Yankee honor" and immediately ignored his parole order. For the next two months Jake was everywhere in his District.  He traveled on mule and horseback, organized parties of men to rebuild homes, tended to smallpox and typhoid outbreaks, and made sure everyone quickly buried the dead people and animals. Even before his Yankee guards left,  Jake organized searches for families hiding in the woods, and checked on families living deep in the woods and not in the invasion path.  Jake said many times he thanked the Lord that the Yankees let him come home, for he felt it was the Lord's will for him to do just what he was doing at the time.

In March 1865, Jake and others were notified that they were charged with illegally taking up arms against the Union, for refusing to accept surrender terms, for violating his parole, and for refusing to sign the surrender "paper."  About a week later a hearing was held by Savannah Yankee officials in big Army tents in front of the Clyde Court House.When Jake spoke up at the hearing, he's remembered for saying that he and his neighbors did nothing more than defend their homes and town from an armed enemy just as the existing Union and Confederate Constitutions and laws allowed.  As far as signing an Oath of Allegiance, Jake said he saw no need for it, and that there was nothing in the Yankee Constitution or law that required born Americans to take such an oath. Jake's family worried that as punishment they could lose everything in fines and "invasion taxes" if the Yankees won their case.  Jake's sons remembered everyone talking about this during the summer of 1865, when word was received that the new U.S. President decreed that all Southerners had to sign the "paper."  Jake said that after what the Yankees did to the South, it would be a "cold day in Hell" before he would sign their terms and he never did.   Years later Jake said that he always feared the Yankee soldiers would come for him one day but they never did come back for him or anyone of the others involved.

After the Clyde hearing, Jake and a number of his neighbors were found guilty as charged and fined $100.00  U.S. money.  Later the charge for breaking his parole was dropped, since Jake was the officially appointed Commissioner for his Confederate Military District.  All involved were given 90 days to pay the fine and sign the Oath of Allegiance at the Court House in  Savannah.  Still defiant, Jake ignored the Yankee order, and for the rest of his life he never did pay his fine or sign the Yankee surrender paper. Jake, his family members, and his neighbors were always proud that they never surrendered to the Yankees or signed the "paper." Jake said that most Southerners felt just like he did, and that the Yankees probably created so much paper that they just never could get around to jailing so many who defied them. Old folks of Clyde said they always thought it was really a fear of the widespread smallpox and typhoid fever that kept the Yankees from coming for them.

Jake's son Jep said that his grandfather  Preston once told him that Jake looked and acted just like his grandfather William Wise.  Jake was hard to get riled, but being like his grandfather, he could be made crazy-angry and obstinate toward people that offended him, such as Yankee soldiers, scallywags, and carpet-baggers.  His wife Polly said that she thought the Yankees just gave up on Jake, just to get away from his righteous raving and ranting at them. For a man who was never known to cuss, his wife Polly said Jake laid some embarrassing loud and public cussin' on the Yankees.

BURRELL J. WISE (1848-1865) Great Uncle  (son of William H. Wise)

Served as a young teenager (Age 16) in the Confederate Militia during the Civil War, i.e., in Capt. Few's Co., 3rd Georgia Volunteer Infantry Militia Regiment. May have died in the War.

JOHN DANIEL WISE (1828-1863), Great Uncle (son of Preston Wise)

Served 1861‑1863 in the Confederate Army during the Civil War. (Age 33) Enlisted as a Private in Company I, of the Toombs Guard, Georgia Volunteer Infantry, CSA.  He was appointed First Sergeant, then on 6 May 1862, as a 1st Corporal in Company C, 11th Battalion, Bulloch County Georgia Volunteer Infantry, Army of Tennessee, CSA. John was wounded 20 Nov 1863 in  Knoxville,  TN , and died of wounds 25 Nov 1863. His will dated 4 Mar 1863 was made while serving in the Confederate Army. The Roll for February 28, 1863, shows John absent as Enrolling Officer for 20 days beginning February 15, 1863.  John was badly wounded at Knoxville, Tennessee on November 20, 1863, and died of his wounds on November 25, 1863.  It is assumed John is buried near the battle site at Knoxville, Tennessee.

It is suspected that he was with McLaws unit which would put him in the vicinity of what was then known as Armstrong Hill.  It is now known as Cherokee Bluff.  He is not listed among those buried at the  Confederate Cemetery in  Knoxville .  He could be one of the unknowns, or his grave may not have been found after the war when the bodies were re‑interred in the Confederate Cemetery .  It is doubtful that his remains were returned to Georgia because at the time of his death General Grant had control of Chattanooga which was the main rail center between Tennessee and Georgia.

MOSES JACKSON MCELVEEN (1818-1881) Great Uncle (son of William E. McElveen)

He enlisted as a private in Captain Hughes' Company, 1st Battalion Georgia Cavalry, October 8, 1861, for a period of six months. (Age 43)  He reenlisted on April 25, 1862, for three years or the war.  Captain Hughes Company, 1st Battalion Georgia Cavalry was transferred to Company D, 5th Georgia Cavalry Regiment, 20 January 1863, by Special Order Number 20.

WILLIAM EMANUEL MCELVEEN JR. (1812-1880) Great Uncle (son of Wm E. McElveen)  Served in the 3rd Co., 17th Ga. Militia of the C.S.A.  (Age 49)

PETER D. STRICKLAND (1841-1863) Great Uncle (son of Peter Henry Strickland)

Peter served in the 9th Georgia Volunteer Infantry, Company I, and was killed in the Battle of 2nd Manassas in Virginia on August 30, 1862 (Age 21).

WILLIAM JOHN STRICKLAND (1848-1906) Great Uncle (Son of Peter Henry  Strickland)

Served in the Civil War as a teenager.  Enlisted when he was 15 years old.  Member of the Bryan Co., Camp of Confederate Veterans. Resided in Stilson, Bulloch Co., GA. after the Civil War, and in 1903 returned to Pembroke, Bryan Co., GA. Served as Mayor of Pembroke, Bryan Co., GA., served as President of the Pembroke Bank, and was active in building the town of Pembroke, Bryan Co., GA.

PETER CONE RICHARDSON (1839-1918) Great Uncle (by marriage to Cynthia Strickland)

Served the Confederacy during the Civil War in Co. "K", 47th Regt., Bulloch Co. Georgia Volunteer Infantry, Army of Tennessee CSA.  He enlisted as a Private May 6, 1862 (Age 23) by Col. W.S. Rockwell, for the period of three years or the duration of the War.  Was wounded at James Island, SC, June 10th 1862.  The Roll for February 28, 1863, last on file, shows him present for duty. No later record found. The surname he gave the last name of RICHARDSON, i.e., his mother's maiden name, and due to her and his father PETER CONE never having married.

Muster Reports: Company Muster Rolls for May 6 to June 30, 1862  Absent, Wounded and in Hospital. Company Muster Rolls for July & Aug 1862 /Present Company Muster Rolls for Sept. & Oct. 1862    Present. Last paid by Capt. T.R. Hines on 8/31/1862. Company Muster Rolls for Nov & Dec 1862 Severely wounded in Battle on James Island, S.C. June 10, 1862 – left in Ga.   Last paid by Capt. T.R. Hines on Oct 31, 1862. Company MusterRolls for Jan & Feb 1863 Present - sick in quarters.  Last paid by Capt. Hines on Dec 31, 1862. Bounty Pay & Receipt Roll - not dated. Bounty $50.Regimental Return - July 1862.  Absent - sick. Regimental Return - Nov1862, Absent  with leave.

The 47th GA Infantry Regt. was organized during the winter of 1861-1862with men raised in Mitchell,  Randolph, Bulloch, Chatham, Screven, Tattnall, Appling, Bryan, Liberty, and Dodge Counties. In May, 1862, the just organized 11th Georgia Battalion merged into Regimental size, andwas ordered to the Charleston area.  The Regt. was later moved to Mississippi where they fought at  Jackson. The 47th was than assigned to General Stovall's and J.K. Jackson's Brigade, and fought with the Army of Tennessee at Chickamauga, Chattanooga, and in the Atlanta Campaign. They returned to Charleston and was active in the battles at James Island, Waynesborough, and Honey Hill, SC.  The 47th was transferred to G.P. Harrison's command, and participated in the defense of Savannah and in the North Carolina Campaign.

In December, 1863, the 47th unit totaled 187 men and 124 arms, by Jan1865, there were 259 present, and by March 1865, there were 160 men left.  The 47th surrendered on April 26, 1865. The Field officers were Colonels A.C. Edwards and G.W.M. Williams, Lieutenant Colonels Joseph S. Cone and William S. Phillips, and Major James G. Cone.

WILLIAM GRIFFIN (1815-1879) Great Uncle (by marriage to Cynthia Strickland)

Served in the Confederate Army in the Georgia state militia, 1865, (Age 50), the last year of conflict and participated in the Battle of Atlanta. He was previously a 2nd Lt. in the Ware Co., GA Militia, 1834-1837. He also participated in the Indian War of 1838 as 1st Corporal, in Capt James Walker’s Ware Co. Georgia Militia Company. Also served in the Mexican War.

HUGH MCCALL DAVENPORT (1822-1880) 1st Cousin (by marriage to Martha Ann Stone)

Hugh was a Major in the Confederacy.  (Age 39)

JOHN DEAL (1842-1909) 1st Cousin (by marriage to Susannah McElveen)

Served as a Private in the Confederate Army during the Civil War. Enlisted 10 Jun 1861 in the Bulloch Co., GA. "Toomb’s Guards." Discharged.

WILLIAM DENMARK (1816-1881) 1st Cousin (grandson of William Wise), also by marriage to Caroline Wise, is a Great Uncle.

William, at age 46, enlisted at Statesboro,  Bulloch County, Georgia, as a Private in Capt. Samuel Dowse Bradwell's Co. H, 25th GA. Infantry,  Wilson's Brigade, CSA.  He was discharged for disability on October 3, 1863, at Dalton, Georgia.

MALACHI H. DENMARK (1825-1909), 1st Cousin, (grandson of William Wise), also by marriage to Rebecca Wise, is a great uncle.

Served as a Private in the Confederate Army during the Civil War. Enlisted in the Bulloch County, Georgia Toombs Guard, 10 Jun 1861. (Age 36) He was wounded in the right shoulder and head, and was captured during the Battle of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, 2 Jul 1863.  Paroled at  Hammon U.S. General Hospital, Pt. Lookout, Maryland and transferred for exchange 17 Mar 1864.  Exchanged and received at City Point, Virginia on 20 Mar 1864. Detailed permanently as nurse in General Hospital # 2 on account of wounds 29 Feb 1864, at Savannah,  Georgia .  On said detail 28 Feb 1865.  No later record on him.  It should be noted that Malachi enlisted on the same date and was in the same military Company and Regt. as his 1st cousins John Daniel Wise CSA‑GA (who died of wounds after the Battle of Knoxville, Tennessee) and William H. Wise CSA‑GA (who was wounded at the Battle of Honey Hill, Jasper County, South Carolina).

REFERENCE:  Muster Roster of Co., I, 9th Regt., GA. Volunteer Infantry, Army of Northern Virginia, CSA, Bulloch Co., GA., "Toombs Guards," as published on <>, page 3. It can truly be said that very few units from any state or on either side saw any more combat than the 9th  Georgia and at locations from  Gettysburg to Charleston. 

THOMAS IRVING DENMARK (1809-1897), 1st Cousin, (grandson of William Wise)

When the Civil War came on he was over age but later when the call went out for volunteers from 16 to 60, he volunteered though he was 55 years old at that time. He saw hard service in the battles around Atlanta and was there when that city fell. His sons Redden and Clayton enlisted in the early part of the war and were in it until the close.

JAMES DENMARK (1819-1880) 1st Cousin, (grandson of William Wise).

Served as Corporal in the Confederate Army.  He enlisted in Captain Brannen's Company, 12th (Wright's) Regiment of Georgia Calvary (State Guards) in Statesboro, Georgia . August 4, 1863. (Age 44) Was a prominent farmer and land owner in Bulloch Co. James was Sheriff of Bulloch Co., GA, in 1853.

ANDREW JOHN ALBRITTON (1828-   ) 1st Cousin (Grandson of David J. Strickland)

In he 29th Georgia Volunteer Infantry, Company E/H "Alapaha Guards". (Age 33)

WILEY RIGDON (1823-1862) 1st Cousin, (by marriage to Rebecca Denmark).

Wyly Rigdon, enlisted as pvt June 10, 1861. Died at Chimborazo Hospital, Richmond, Virginia. May 8, 1862. (Age 39) “Roster of Confederate Soldiers of Georgia ”. 1861‑65, 975.8 M22h Vol. 1 p. 1058 (Bulloch County).

HENRY WISE (1836-1883) 1st cousin, (Grandson of Preston Wise).

Was a Confederate Civil War Veteran.  Served c1863‑1865 in Co.A, 25th Regt., Bryan Co. GA Volunteer Infantry. (Age 25).

JAMES WILLIAM WISE (1839-1922) 1st cousin, (grandson of Preston Wise).

James served in the Confederate Army during Civil War (10 Jun 1861 to 12 Jun 1865). He was among the first to enlist (Age 22) and among the last of the Confederate troops to surrender when the Civil War ended.  The family story is that James was home on medical furlough (upper leg wound), and recuperating at his parent's plantation home when the Yankees swept through Bryan and Liberty Counties to capture Fort McAllister and Savannah.  James and his father Jake Wise were among a group of sixty or so neighbors and slaves that barricaded the Clyde Road , burned the creek bridges, and bottlenecked the Yankee movement along what is now the old Clyde and Savannah Roads in December 1864.  James and his father Jake WISE were taken prisoner at Clyde Court House on 20 Dec 1865, chained, and taken by wagon to the Prisoner‑of‑War compound at Fort McAllister, Georgia.  He and his father were conditionally released to house arrest on Christmas Day, but in the second week in January 1865, James escaped and fled to a Confederate straggler company formed in Beaufort County, South Carolina.  James and a small group of Confederate stragglers stole rafts and almost drowned making a night crossing on the Savannah River to escape.  Under orders, his unit operated independently and fought harassing skirmishes against the invading Yankees as they marched through South Carolina to North Carolina.

With the help of local farmers and townspeople, his straggler company ambushed Yankees in the woods and swamps of SC and NC where they surrendered 11 days after Civil War ended.  Bryan and Bulloch County newspaper articles in the 1890s featured James' escape and evasion experiences on Confederate Memorial and CSA Veteran Day holidays. The family story is that James and his small band of Confederate stragglers had no way of knowing the Civil War was over, and finally surrendered to a Sheriff's posse in NC, i.e., because they no longer had horses (they ate them), could no longer find food, had only a few rounds of rifle cartridges left, and his leg‑wound was badly infected, festering, and swollen. James said he'd lost the shoe off his good leg in the deep and gummy NC swamp mud.  James was known for summing up the reason for his outfit's surrender by saying "No horses, no food, no clothes, no ammunition, no shoes, no Momma or Poppa ‑ ‑ but Lord oh Lord, there sure was a lot of Yankees."

James and members of his outfit were apprehended by a local NC Sheriff's posse that searched for them and found them hiding in the woods near  Wagram, NC .  After making sure they were fed, washed, shaved, uniformed, and wounds tended, the Sheriff turned them over to the Yankees. James and his group were imprisoned and he was discharged from the Yankee prison camp at Raleigh, NC on 12 June 1865.  After his release, he walked and hitched rides back to his parents home in Bryan Co., GA.  James was a local hero to the people of Clyde, Bryan Co. GA.  His father "Old Grandpa" Jake Wise often said that he was very proud of all Wises that served the Confederacy.  Jake bragged about his son's Civil War exploits to friends and family, and his grandpa Preston Wise said that James was another "spitting image" of his Revolutionary War father William Wise, RS SC (c1747-1816), in looks, carefree and loving spirit, yet had the same bull headedness, anger, and temper rages when someone wronged him." (This family story was passed on to John F. Wise (b.1936 NY)in 1976 by his 1st cousin David Stephen Wise (1893-1978), of Richmond Hill, Bryan Co., GA.)

James served as a Private and 3rd Corporal, 1st  Co. A and Co. B, 25th Regiment, GA Volunteer Infantry (Bryan Co. GA. and Army of  Tennessee). Also found in the Georgia State Archives was an original Roll Call Chit on James, which reports that he was absent from duty, with an explanation scribbled on the chit that said James was "Drunk and in Jail again."  James' children said that their father told them that he was a pretty wild, heavy-drinking, and rowdy person before the Civil War and that his Civil War experiences changed all that and humbled him.  He always referred to himself as "a victim of that War," and that he didn't like to talk about the terrible things he did to survive and get back home. James told his wife and children that his Civil War experiences brought him down a quite a few notches, changed his thinking about life, and made him a lot closer to his family, friends, neighbors, church, and especially to his Lord Jesus.  His wife and children described James as a quiet, pleasant, and hard working man.  He was always happy and, except for his "War limp," a healthy man who like his mother was never known to have a sick day in his adult life.  James thought it very important to be an example to his children, nieces, and nephews.  His family never knew or heard of him to show anger, cuss, raise his voice, drink liquor, smoke, chew, or miss a Sunday service or church meeting.

JOHN WILLIAM WISE (1844-1910) 1st Cousin, (grandson of Preston Wise).

Served in Capt. Wooten's Detachment of Georgia Volunteer State Militia, and Capt. Harris' Company of Volunteer Georgia Infantry Militia. (Age 18)

JAMES BENNETT (1831-1865) 1st Cousin (by marriage to Mary F. Strickland)

Died 7 Apr 1865, killed-in-action during the Civil War Battle of  Bentonville,  North Carolina..  Burial place unknown. (Age 34)

OBADIAH C  GIBSON  (1809-     ) 1st Cousin

Served as Captain in Scogin's Battery, Georgia Light Artillery (Griffin Light Artillery). Griffin Light Artillery was organized at Griffin, Georgia, in May, 1862. It was attached to the Department of South Carolina, Georgia , and Florida and served on the Georgia coast and in the defense of Savannah. The unit was broken up in January, 1865. Captain C.R. Hanleiter was in command.

JOHN ELLIS  GRIFFIN (1839-1862) 1st Cousin (Grandson of David J. Strickland)

Enlisted in Company K, Georgia Volunteer Infantry Regiment on 31 Mar 1862 (Age 23). Died 5 Sep 1862, in his nephew's home, in Pierce Co., GA.  Was badly wounded in action during the Civil War during the 2nd Battle of Manassas, VA on 28 Aug 1862.  Was returned home on medical leave, became addicted to morphine, and died as a result of his wounds.  At time of his death he was being cared for in the home of his nephew.

ELIAS M. McELVEEN (1846-1907) 1st cousin, (grandson of Preston Wise).

Served in the Confederate Army during the Civil War.  Enlisted as a Private 16 Feb 1864, (Age 18) in the Bulloch Co., GA. "Toombs Guard,"  Co. I, 9th Regt., GA. Volunteer Infantry, Army of  Northern Va., CSA. Captured at Bull's Gap, TN 16 Mar 1864.  Paroled at Camp Chase,  Ohio and transferred to City Point, VA. for exchange 25 Feb 1865.  No later record. “Roster of Confederate Soldiers in Georgia”. 975.8  M22h Vol 1, p. 1058. Bulloch County

WILLIAM JAMES MCELVEEN (1838-1865) 1st Cousin (Grandson of William E. McElveen) Served in the Confederate Army during the Civil War.  Enlisted as a Private 10 Jun 1861, (Age 23) in Co. I, 9th Regt., GA. Volunteer Infantry, Army of Northern VA., CSA., Bulloch Co., GA. "Toombs Guards."  Wounded at Farmville, VA. 7 Apr 1865, and died in U.S.A. Hospital at  Farmville,  VA. Buried in CSA Cemetery,  Farmville , VA.

WILLIAM E. MCELVEEN (1843-1863) 1st Cousin (Grandson of William E. McElveen) Was killed at Gettysburg,  PA, July 1863, during the battle in the Civil War. (Age 19)

ABRAHAM STRICKLAND (1835-1906) 1st Cousin (Grandson of David J. Strickland)

Served as a Private, CSA, 50th GA. Infantry Regt.  Enlisted at Blackshear, Ware/Pierce Co., GA., 4 Mar 1862 (Age 27).  Deserted CSA, and published roll shows that he was taken to Washington, D.C., where he took the oath of allegiance to the U.S. 18 Mar 1865, and was furnished transportation (i.e., ship) to St. Augustine, FL.

DANIEL JOHN STRICKLAND, SR. (1802-     ) 1st Cousin (Grandson of John Strickland) Served in 29th Georgia Volunteer Infantry, Company F/A "Georgia Foresters".  (Age 59)

JOHN ELIJAH STRICKLAND (1842-1864) 1st Cousin (Grandson of David Johnathan Strickland)  Died between 19-21 Dec 1864, (Age 22) during the Civil War while defending Fort McAllister, Bryan Co., GA.   Family story is that he served in the Confederate Bryan Co., GA.  The family knew he was in the battle for Fort McAllister , but did not know what happened to him.  His name never showed up on the Clyde courthouse casualty list, so the family hoped that he was taken prisoner and would soon be coming home.  Sometime in May 1865, the family was notified of his death and that he was buried by the Yankees in an unmarked mass grave in the woods near Fort McAllister.  His family searched for the mass grave, but they never found the mass grave or his remains to bring home for a proper family burial.

HENRY LEWIS STRICKLAND (1825-1862) 1st Cousin (Grandson of John Strickland)

Served as a Private, CSA, 21 Sep 1861-May 25 1862, in Co. "G," 26th GA Infantry Regt. (Bartow Light Infantry); promoted to Junior 2nd Lt., 8 May 1862, and served until he was killed-in-action, in the Battle of Cold Harbor, Virginia. (Age 36)

ROBERT MARTIN STRICKLAND (1838-1862) 1st Cousin (Grandson of John Strickland)

Served in 12th Georgia Volunteer Infantry, Company B "Lowndes Volunteers". (received from Died 14 Jun 1861 (Age 23)  Killed-in Action in battle at  McDowell,  VA.   Burial place is unknown.

WILLIAM ROBERT HOBBS (1839-1897) 1st Cousin (by marriage to Salety Ann Strickland)

Served in the Confederate Army during the Civil War. Enlisted 3 Apr 1862,in Bryan Co., GA. (Age 23)  Served initially in Capt. J. L. McAllister's Hardwick Mounted Rifles. About 17 Sep 1863 his company was divided into Companies A & B, 24th Battalion, GA. Cavalry, which became the 7th Regt. of GA. Cavalry, CSA.  He is last recorded in Company "H" and present for duty October 1864.

JAMES HOLLOWAY (1837-1885) 1st Cousin (by marriage to Martha Jane Strickland)

Served in the Confederate Army during the Civil War.  Enlisted as a Private 15 Aug 1861, (Age 24) in Co., I, Bulloch Co., GA. "Toombs Guards." Present on roll for January 1865, last on file shows him absent on leave.

CUYLER NEVILLE (1846-     ) 1st Cousin (by marriage to Ann E. McElveen)

Served in the Confederate Army during the Civil War (Age 16).  Enlisted as a Private in Co. I, 9th Regt., GA. Volunteer Infantry, CSA, Bulloch Co.,GA. "Toombs Guards."   Appointed 3rd Sgt. in Dec 1862.  Discharged at Savannah, Chatham Co., GA. on 24 Oct 1863.  Re-enlisted as a Private in Co. F, 22  Battn, GA. Heavy Artillery 20 May 1864.  Roll for Oct 1864, his last record on file, show him absent, sick.

JOSIAH LEWIS PERRITT (1825-1894) 1st Cousin (by marriage to Lucretia F. Strickland)

Served in the Confederate Army or Militia during the Civil War, and fought at the Battle of Olustee. (Age 36)


LEWIS LUNSFORD VANN (1848-1925) Great Grandfather, (son of Elzey Vann).

Listed as soldier in Confederate States Army, Company A, 5th Georgia Infantry. (Age 16)

LEANDER LEWIS VARNEDOE (1829-1895) Great Grandfather, (son of Nathaniel Varnedoe).

Laurel Hill Cemetery Records, Thomas County, Georgia, contains title of Captain of Confederate States Army. (Age 33) Captain Varnedoe removed with his family to Thomasville after the war, in 1868. He started his plantation near Thomasville with  the cultivation of the LeConte pear. His venture is credited with doing much for the economy of Southwest Georgia during the Reconstruction period.

ANDREW JACKSON VANN (1845-1918) Great Uncle, (son of Elzey Vann).

Enlisted as Pvt. Promoted to Sgt in Company E, 50th Georgia Infantry, CSA (Age 17)

JOHN VANN (1842-1862) Great Uncle (Son of Elzey Vann)

History of Thomas County, Georgia indicates he died in the Civil War. (Age 19)

RUFUS ALONZO VARNEDOE (1834-1893) Great Uncle, (son of Nathaniel Varnedoe).

On 17 May 1861 he enlisted at Palmyra, GA as a Private in the Liberty Independent Troop. (Age 27) By August, however, he was discharged for "general disability." In Nov. 1862 he removed his servants from Liberty Co. (in the path of Sherman) to Thomasville, GA, "so as to evade our Yankee or Abolition enemy," as he wrote on 27 Oct. 1862. For several years after the war, Rufus was agent for the Southern Express Co. in   Thomasville, where he lived with his father-in-law. In 1870 he moved to Atlanta, GA to assume control of the business of the Brooklyn Life Insurance Co. for the Southeast. He later worked in the office of the Clerk of the Superior Court of Fulton Co.,GA. After an illness of 3 years, he died of dropsy at his residence in Atlanta. He is buried in the Oakland Cemetery. Anna died 29 Dec. 1915 and is buried beside Rufus.

PLINY SHEFFIELD, JR. (1839-1908) Great Uncle, (son of Pliny Sheffield.)

Pliny spent his early life in Thomasville, and at the age of 17, after the death of his father, entered the famous Webb School in Tennessee . He then completed his education at the Universityof Virginia, and while there, in 1861, realizing that the few battles already fought for state’s rights would not settle the issues at stake, he withdrew from the University late in 1861 and returned home to fight for the Confederacy. Early in 1862 the call went out for more volunteer companies and Brooks County was called to furnish one, so he volunteered for that service and orgainized a volunteer company of which he became Captain. It was called the Brooks County Volunteers, and became Company K, 50th Georgia Volunteer Infantry Regiment. This company became a part of the Army of Northern Virginia under General Lee and participated in campaigns in Virginia, Maryland,  Pennsylvania and Tennessee..

After being mustered in, the unit went by rail with other companies to Savannahon March 4, 1862, where they joined with the rest of the 50th Regiment, which was made up entirely of Wiregrass Georgia men. They went on to Ft. Boggs on the  Savannah River for two months training. A tailor outfitted the company at the expense of Captain Sheffield.

One extra man that went was Ben Davis, the colored man who had been more than a body servant to ‘Marse Plin’ from early childhood, he had been friend and companion where ever his master’s travels carried him.

Captain Sheffield saw action at Bull Run, on into Maryland and to the bloodiest battle of the war at Antietam. The battle of Gettysburg was fought July 1-3, 1863, with losses from which the Confederate Army never recovered. General Lee’s army retreated into Virginia.

On July 31, 1863, Pliny was advanced to the rank of Major. He took advantage of his furlough and visited Richmond, Virginia. While walking the streets with a fellow companion, he saw a group of girls pass. Eying them soldier like (the tale is told that he saw Mary Read Hunt’s ankles as she was going up some steps), Major Sheffield turned to his friend and remarked “There goes a flock of beautiful birds, one of which I expect to catch.”  He sought an introduction to Mary Read Hunt and eventually won her promise of her hand in marriage.

In November, 1863. Headed by Colonel Peter McGlashan, Company K, a part of Bryan County’s Brigade in Longstreet’s Corps, beseiged Knoxville, Tennessee, and fought a few battles in that state withdrawing before the year closed leaving the Federals in possession. Due to his initiative in the action, Major Sheffield was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel, December 21, 1863.

Bryan’s Brigade returned to the Army of Northern Virginia where General Grant was operating against General Lee. Early in May, 1864, General Grant crossed the Rapidan, entered the “Wilderness”, a densely wooded country west of Chancellorsville. The fighting from the 5th to the 7th was called the Battle of the Wilderness, and was practically continuous with a frightful loss of men on both sides.

In the Battle of the Wilderness Colonel Sheffield lost his right arm. Falling on the battlefield, two men directed by Col. Sheffield made a tourniquet with a handkerchief, thus staying the flow of blood and saving his life. One of those men was the faithful bodyguard Ben Davis who had stationed himself back of the battle lines watching ‘Marse Plin’.

Colonel Sheffield, with other wounded, was carried to a large home nearby which had been turned over by the owners to be used as a hospital. Bountiful trays were brought to Pliny every day by a young lady of the vicinity. One day when she came she found the wounded colonel asleep with a daguerrotype (photo) of Mary Hunt on his chest. She asked the soldier in the bed next to him if Col. Sheffield had a sister, and he unwittingly said no.  The story goes she never returned with another tray. In writing to Mary Read Hunt in Richmond, he told her that he had lost an arm and therefore would release her from her engagement. She replied that in losing one arm he had gained two. They were married in Richmond on July 20, 1864, while he was still convalescing from the loss of his arm. Due to his incapacitation, Pliny resigned his commission on November 28, 1864, and returned home.

Though handicapped because of an exposed nerve from the loss of his arm, Pliny always carried himself about in his business and social contacts with courage and good cheer. He was proud of the strength of the starved Confederate soldier. On the return to reconstruct the old life, he realized he held mortgages on several farms whose owners had fought side by side with him in Company K.  These notes were cancelled.

Although he lost much in land, money, cotton and slave wealth in the civil war, and gave of himself as well to the Confederate cause, he left the battle front with a resolve to cherish no animosity towards those who were his enemies on the field of battle. In later years he instilled into his children the necessity of striving towards a harmonious union of the North and the South for the strength of the American nation.

PLINY SHEFFIELD HEETH (1845-1928) Great Uncle, (son of Richard Washington Heeth).

Laurel Hill Cemetery records, Thomas County, Georgia, indicates he served in the Company F, 20th Georgia Battalion, CSA.  (Age 18)

NATHANIEL JAMES VARNEDOE (1826-1886) Great Uncle (son of Nathaniel Varnedoe)

He was reported to be a very large man, too large to conveniently ride a horse. This seems to be verified by his picture. There is a tradition in the family that because he couldn’t ride, he couldn’t join the local Confererate calvery unit, the Liberty Mounted Rangers, like his brother, Leander. He, therefore, got a peddlers wagon and traveled through Pennsylvania gathering troop movement information for General Lee. In this role as a spy, he left no official Confederate war records.

HENRY SANFORD (1832-     ) Great Uncle (by marriage to Jane Vann)

In 1861 H. H. Sanford enlisted in the Company E, 29th Georgia Regiment, Confederate army in Thomasville, Georgia. (Age 29) He was discharged in 1865 in Chase, Ohio apparently from a military prison. Reference: Origins, Vol. 3, Summer 1993, Ex Confederate Soldiers in Thomas County .

9/5/1862 H H Sanford of Thomas County was appointed along with several from other counties to hire Negroes to work on the defenses of the city of  Savannah by order of Brigadier General Mercer. Reference: Washington County Newspaper Clippings, p. 306.

ALFRED IVERSON (1790-1873) 1st cousin, (grandson of Samuel Jones II).

Hon. Alfred Iverson, US Senator from Dec 3 1852 until the passage of succession. He then entered the service as a Colonel of a regiment in the Confederate Army in Nov 1862, (Age 72) became a Brigadier General and died in Macon Mar 4 1873.

JAMES OGLETHORPE VARNEDOE (1842-1927) 1st Cousin, (son of Samuel McWhir Varnedoe). (Age 21) enlisted and was appointed corporal, Liberty Independent Troop, 1st battalion Georgia Cavalry.  He Transferred to Company G, 5th Regiment, Georgia Cavalry 20 Jan 1863. He was listed as Absent Without Leave from 1 Dec 1864. He returned to duty from 30 days furlough near the close of the war.

CHARLES CARROLL VARNEDOE (1843-    ) 1st Cousin, (son of Samuel McWhir Varnedoe). Enlisted  in the Liberty Independent Troop on 1 Oct 1861. (Age 18) He transferred to Company G, 5th Regiment, Georgia Cavalry, on 20 Jan 1863; to Company D, 20th Battalion, Georgia Cavalry, on 30 Jun 1863; to Company I, 8th Regiment, Georgia Cavalry, in 1864. Company Roll for December 1864, last on file, shows him on horse detail since 19 Nov 1864. Records show he was paroled at Thomasville, Georgia, 17 May 1865.

FRANCIS MARION JONAS VARNADO (1842-1916) 1st Cousin (Grandson of Samuel Varnado)

Civil War 22 Mississippi Regt Co E (transferred to 33rd Mississippi 10 Jan 1863) Pvt (Age 20)

ROBERT ANTRIM MCKINNON (1839-1862) 1st Cousin (Grandson of Nathaniel Raines Mitchell) Robert served with the 27th  Regiment,  Georgia Volunteers, Company B known as the Ocklockonee Light Infantry. He was sent to Mackeys Point below Savannah where he contracted malaria and died. (Age 23)

SAMUEL L. MALLARD (1848-1916) 1st Cousin (Grandson of Thomas Mallard)

Laurel Hill Cemetery Records. Thomas County, Georgia . Gives full birth and death dates. Also indicates he was a C.S.A. soldier. (Age 16)

WILLIAM DICKEY MITCHELL (1839-1892) 1st Cousin (Grandson of Thomas G. Mitchell)

William served as a Lt. Col. with the 29th Georgia Infantry. He lost an arm in the battle at Chickamauga. (Age 23)

RICHARD RAINES MITCHELL (1834-1909) 1st Cousin (Grandson of  Thomas G. Mitchell)

Richard served as a private with Company C, 12th Georgia Militia. He never married. (Age 27)

ROBERT GOODWYN MITCHELL (1843-1926) 1st Cousin (Grandson of Thomas G. Mitchell) Robert served enlisted as a Sgt. with Company E, 29th Georgia Infantry. He was promoted to Lt. and was wounded in the Dalton Campaign in 1864. (Age 19)

HENRY WYCHE (1812-1887) 1st Cousin (Grandson of Thomas Goodwin Mitchell )

According to the May 15, 1861 issue of the Southern Enterprise, Henry contributed to the formation of the Ochlocknee Light Infantry and the Thomasville Guard. (Age 49)

CAMDEN M. SHEFFIELD (1841-     ) 1st Cousin 

Served as Pvt in Atkinson’s Company of 26th Georgia Infantry.  (Age 20)


The Owen line did not migrate from England to Utah until after the Civil War.  However, the Hudson and related lines go back into Ohio during the time of the Civil War, and all of them would have fought on the side of the Union.  Lyman L. Hudson is one that has been recorded as having enlisted in the Union army. His life sketch contains a story of his experiences in the Union Army.  A few other relatives on the Hudson line have been identified on the Union side of the Civil War. 


HUDSON, Lyman Lorenzo  (1848-1932)  Great Grandfather

Private in 150th Regiment, Co. K, Ohio Infantry National Guard.  Also Private in 176th Ohio Infantry, Co. E.   (Age 16)

150th Regiment, Ohio Infantry National Guard:  Organized at Cleveland, Ohio, and mustered in May 5, 1864.  Moved to Washington, D. C., May 7, and assigned to duty as garrison at Forts Lincoln,   Saratoga, Thayer, Bunker Hill, Slocum, Totten and Stevens, Defenses of Washington, till August. Attached to 1st Brigade, Haskins' Division, 22nd Army Corps, to July 1864. 2nd Brigade, Haskins' Division, 22nd Army Corps, to August. Repulse of Early's attack on Washington, D. C., July 11-12. Mustered out August 23, 1864. Regiment lost during service 2 Enlisted men killed and 10 Enlisted men by disease. Total 12.

176th Regiment, Ohio Infantry Volunteers:  Organized at Camp Chase, Ohio, August 10 to September 21, 1864. Mustered in September 21, 1864. Left State for Nashville, Tenn., September 1. Attached to Post and Defenses of Nashville, Dept. of the Cumberland, to December 1864. 2nd Brigade, 4th Division, 20th Army Corps, Dept. of the Cumberland, to March 1865. District of Nashville, Tenn., Dept. of the Cumberland, to June 1865.

SERVICE - Provost and guard duty at Nashville, Tenn., September 1864, to June 1865. Battle of Nashville December 15-16, 1864. Mustered out June 18, 1865.  Regiment lost during service 102 Enlisted men by disease.

HUDSON, John Quincy Adams (1829-1875)  Great Uncle  (Son of William Norton Hudson)  116th Ohio Infantry, Co. F/K.  Assistant Surgeon  (Age 32)

116th Regiment, Ohio Infantry:  Organized at Marietta and Gallipolis, Ohio, and mustered in September 18, 1862 (Cos. "F" and "K" mustered in October 28, 1861, and joined regiment at Buckhannon, W. Va.). Left State for Parkersburg, W. Va., October 16; thence moved to Clarksburg and Buckhannon. Moved to New Creek November 9, and to Moorefield December 12. Attached to Railroad Division, West Virginia, to January 1863. Romney, W. Va., Defenses of the Upper Potomac, 8th Army Corps, Middle Department, to March, 1863. 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, 8th Army Corps, Middle Department, to June, 1863. 1st Brigade, Elliott's Command, 8th Army Corps, to July 1863. 1st Brigade, 1st Division, Dept. of the Susquehanna, July 1863.  McReynolds' Command, Martinsburg, W. Va., Dept. of West Virginia, to December 1863. 1st Brigade, 1st Division, West Virginia, to April 1864. 1st Brigade, 1st Infantry Division, West Virginia, to December 1864. 1st Brigade, Independent Division, 24th Army Corps, Army of the James, to June 1865.

SERVICE-Duty at Moorefield, W. Va., December 15, 1862, to January 10, 1863. Moorefield January 3. At Romney till March 17. Near Romney February 16. At Winchester, Va., till June. Operations in Shenandoah Valley April 20-29. Scout toward Wardensville and Strasburg April 20. Scout to Strasburg April 25-29. Bunker Hill June 13 (Cos. "A" and "I"). Battle of Winchester June 13-15. Retreat to Harper's Ferry, W. Va., June 15-16; thence to Washington, D. C., July 1-4, and join Army of the Potomac at                                            Frederick, Md., July 5. Pursuit of Lee to Manassas Gap, Va., July 5-24. Wapping Heights, Va., July 23. At Martinsburg, W. Va., August 4, 1863, to April 29, 1864. Skirmish at Hedgesville October 16, 1863 (Detachment). Sigel's Expedition from Martinsburg to New Market April 29-May 16, 1864. Battle of New Market May 15. Advance on Staunton May 24-June 6. Piedmont June 5. Occupation of Staunton June 6.

Hunter's raid on Lynchburg June 10-July 1. Lynchburg June 17-18. Ordered to the Shenandoah Valley July.  Battle of Kernstown-Winchester, July 24. Sheridan's Shenandoah Valley Campaign August 7-November 28. Charlestown August 21, 22 and 29. Berryville September 3. Battle of Winchester, Opequan Creek September 19. Fisher's Hill September 22. Cedar Creek October 13. Battle of Cedar Creek October 19. Duty at Opequan Crossing November 18 to December 19. Moved to Washington, D. C., December 19; thence to Aiken's Landing, Va., Siege of Petersburg and Richmond December 27, 1864, to April 2, 1865.  Appomattox Campaign March 28-April 9. Hatcher's Run March 29-April 1. Fall of Petersburg April 2. Pursuit of Lee April 3-9. Rice's Station April 6. Appomattox Court House April 9. Surrender of Lee and his army. Duty at Richmond, Va., till June. Mustered out June 14, 1865. Companies "F" and "K" consolidated  with 62nd Ohio Infantry.   Regiment lost during service 4 Officers and 90 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 3 Officers and 88 Enlisted men by disease. Total 185.

HUDSON, Christopher Columbus  (1843-1931) Great Uncle  (Son of Christopher C. Hudson)  

Private in 176th Ohio Infantry, Co. E.  (Age 18)

SISSON, Lorenzo G.   (1822-1860) Great Uncle (Son of Augustus Lyman Sisson)

Private in 30th Missouri Infantry, Co. E.  (Age 39)  May not be correct if died in 1860.

30th Regiment, Missouri Infantry  Organized at St. Louis, Mo., September and October, 1862. Attached to Cape Girardeau, Mo., Dept. of  Missouri, to December, 1862. 1st Brigade, 11th Division, Right Wing 13th Army Corps (Old), Dept. of the Tennessee, December 1862. 1st Brigade, 4th Division, Sherman's Yazoo Expedition, to January 1863. 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 15th Army Corps, Army of the Tennessee, to August 1863. Post of Vidalia, District of Natchez, Miss., Dept. of Tennessee, to April 1864. 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 17th Army Corps, Dept.  of Tennessee, to August 1864. 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, 19th Army Corps, Dept. of the Gulf, to December 1864. 2nd Brigade, Reserve Division, Military Division West Mississippi, to February 1865. 3rd Brigade, 1st Division, Reserve Corps, Military Division West Mississippi, to February 1865. 3rd Brigade, 1st Division, 13th Army Corps (New), Military Division West Mississippi, to July 1865. Dept. of Texas to August 1865.

SERVICE.-Duty at Cape Girardeau, Mo., till November 10, 1862. Moved to Patterson, Mo., November 10-17, and return to Cape Girardeau November 25-29. Moved to Helena, Ark., December 8-16.  Sherman's Yazoo Expedition December 22, 1862, to January 3, 1863. Chickasaw Bayou December 26-28.     Chickasaw Bluff December 29. Expedition to Arkansas Post, Ark., January 3-10, 1863. Assault and capture of Fort Hindman, Arkansas Post, January 10-11. Moved to Young's Point, La., January 17-23, and duty there till March. At Milliken's Bend, La., till April. Expedition to Greenville, Black Bayou and Deer Creek April 2-14. Demonstration on Haines' and Drumgould's Bluffs April 29-May 2. Moved to join army in rear of Vicksburg, Miss., via Richmond and Grand Gulf, May 2-14. Jackson, Miss., May 14. Siege of Vicksburg, Miss., May 18-July 4. Assaults on Vicksburg May 19 and 22. Advance on Jackson, Miss., July 4-10. Siege of Jackson July 10-17. Ordered to District of Natchez, Miss., August 15. Assigned to garrison duty at post of Vidalia till April 1864. Action at Vidalia September 14, 1863. Expedition to Trinity November 15-16. Expedition to Tensas River February 2-3, 1864. Repulse of Gen. Polignac's threatened attack on Vidalia February 17, 1864. Expedition to Tensas River March 10-11. Moved to Vicksburg, Miss., April 3-5, and duty there till May 9. Expedition to Big Black River Bridge May 9-16. Camp at Vicksburg till July 1. Pearl River Expedition July 1-10. Guard pontoon train at Big Black River July 3-9. Moved to Morganza July 28-30, thence to Port Hudson, La., August 23-24. Expedition to Clinton August 24-27. Moved to Morganza August 28, and to mouth of White River, Ark., September 3-8. Duty there till  October 18. Moved to Memphis, Tenn., October 18-19. At Fort Pickering, Memphis, till October 28.  Moved to mouth of White River, Ark., October 28-29, thence to Duvall's Bluff, Ark., November 7-10, and to Memphis, Tenn., November 27-December 1. Consolidated to a Battalion of 4 Companies November 30. Moved to Kenner, La., January 2-8, 1865; thence to Dauphin Island February 11-18. Campaign against Mobile, Ala., and its Defences March 17-April 12. Siege of Spanish Fort and Fort Blakely March 26-April 8. Assault and capture of Fort Blakely April 9. Occupation of Mobile April 12, and camp there till May 10, and at Fort Blakely and Fort Tracy till June 8. At Mobile till June 28. Moved to Galveston, Texas, June 28-July 1, thence to Columbus July 9-11. Post duty at Allayton till August 21. Mustered out at Columbus, Texas, August 31, and discharged at St. Louis, Mo., September 11, 1865. Regiment lost during service 2 Officers and 10 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 1 Officer and 280 Enlisted men by disease. Total 293.

SISSON, Alonzo S.  (1845-1908)  1st Cousin  (Grandson of Augustus Sisson)

Enlisted as Private in 2nd Wisconsin Cavalry, Co. B. Promoted to rank of Corporal (Age 17)

2nd Regiment, Wisconsin Cavalry:  Organized at Milwaukee, Wis., December 30, 1861, to March 10, 1862. Left State for St. Louis, Mo., March 24, 1862. Duty at Benton Barracks, Mo., till May 15. Moved to Jefferson City, thence to Springfield, Mo., and duty there till June 14. Attached to Steele's Command, Army of Southwest Missouri, Dept. of Missouri, to July, 1862. District of Eastern Arkansas, Dept. of Missouri, to November 1862. 2nd Brigade, Cavalry Division, District of Eastern Arkansas, Dept. of the Tennessee, to January, 1863. 2nd Brigade, 2nd Cavalry Division, 13th Army Corps, Dept. of the Tennessee, to February 1863. 3rd Brigade, District of Memphis, Tenn., 5th Division, 16th Army Corps. Dept. of the Tennessee, to June 1863. Busseys Cavalry Brigade, Herron’s Division, 13th Army Corps, to August 1863. Cavalry Brigade, 17th Army Corps, to September 1863. 1st Division, 17th Army Corps, to January 1864. Winslow a Cavalry Brigade, District of Vicksburg, Miss., to December 1864. 3rd Brigade, Cavalry Division, District of West Tennessee, to July 1865. 2nd Brigade, 2nd Cavalry Division, Military Division Gulf, to August 1865. Dept. of Texas to November 1865.

SERVICE.-March to Batesville, Jacksonport and Helena, Ark., June 14-July 12, 1862, and duty there till January, 1863. Action at Yellville, Ark., June 25, 1862. Near Fayetteville July 15. Expedition from Helena to Moro August 5-8 (Detachment). Near Helena August 11. Near Helena September 19-20. Expedition against Arkansas Post November 16-21. Expedition to Yellville Noveinber 25-29. Expedition from Helena to Grenada, Miss., November 27-December 5. Oakland, Miss., December 3. LaGrange, Ark., December 30. Lick Creek, Ark., January 12, 1863. Clarendon Road, near Helena, January 15. Ordered to Memphis, Tenn., February 4, and duty there till May. Nonconah Creek, near Memphis, April 4. Expedition to Coldwater April 17-20. Horn Lake Creek May 18 (Co. "L"). Expeditions to Hernando, Miss., May 23-24, 26 and 28 Detachments). Moved to Vicksburg, Miss., June 10-13. Siege of Vicksburg , Miss., June13-July 4. Advance on Jackson, Miss., July 4-10. Clinton July 8. Siege of Jackson July 10-17. Canton July 12. Expedition to Yazoo City July 12-21, 1863 (Detachment). Bolton's Depot July 16. Grant's Ferry, Pearl River. July 16. Briar Creek, near Canton, July 17. Duty at Red Bone Church till April 27, 1864. Action at Red Bone Church September 25, 1863. Ingraham's Plantation, near Port Gibson, October 10. Red Bone April 21, 1864. Moved to Vicksburg April 27, and duty there till December. Salem May 29 (Detachment). Worthington's and Sunnyside Landings, Fish Bayou, June 5. Old River Lake or Lake Chicot June 6. Expedition from Vicksburg to Pearl River July 2-10. Clinton July 4. Jackson July 5-6. Clinton July 7. Expedition from Vicksburg to Rodney and Fayette September 29-October 3. Port Gibson October 1. Fayette and Cole Creek October 3. Expedition from Natchez to Woodville October 4-11. Woodville October 5-6. Fort Adams, La., October 5 and 7. Operations in Issaqueena and Washington Counties October 24-31. Expedition from Vicksburg to Gaines' Landing and Bayou Macon, La., November 6-8. Expedition from Vicksburg to Yazoo City November 23-December 4. Concord Church December 1. Moved to Memphis, Tenn., December 8. Grierson's Expedition to destroy Mobile & Ohio Railroad  December 21, 1864, to January 15, 1865. Franklin Creek December 21-22, 1864. Egypt Station December 28. Expedition from Memphis to Marion, Ark., January 19-22, 1865 (Detachment). Duty at Memphis, Tenn., till June. Expedition into Northern Mississippi March 3-11. (Part of Regiment ordered to Grenada, Miss., May 9, and duty there till June 24, when rejoined Regiment at Alexandria, La.) Ordered to Alexandria, La., June, March from Alexandria to Hempstead, Texas, August 8-26, and duty there till October. March to Austin, Texas, and there mustered out November 15, 1865.  1st Battalion (Cos. "A," "D," "G" and "K") served detached June 13, 1862, to September 1864. Ordered  to Cassville, Mo:, June 13, 1862, and duty there till October, 1862. Pineville June 23. Attached to 1st Brigade, 3rd Division, Army of the Frontier, Dept. of Missouri, to June, 1863. District of Rolla, Dept. of  Missouri, to August, 1864. District of North Missouri to September 1864. Duty at Osage Springs, Mo., October, 1862, to December, 1862. Battle of Prairie Grove, Ark., December 7. Expedition over Boston Mountains to Van Buren, Ark., December 27-29. At Forsythe, Mo., till March 1863. At Lake Springs till June, 1863. At Rolla till September 1864. Lane’s Prairie, Mo., May 26, 1864. Scout in Phelpa and Marlas Counties August l (Co. "A"). Rejoined Regiment at Vicksburg, Miss., September 1864. Regiment lost during service 24 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 4 Officers and 234 Enlisted men by disease. Total 312.

HUDSON, James Fairchild  (1846-     ) 1st Cousin (Grandson of William Norton Hudson)   Corporal in 150th Ohio Infantry National Guard, Co. K.  (Age 16)

SISSON, Zelotus C.  (1832-     ) 1st Cousin  (Grandson of Augustus Sisson)

Enlisted as Private in 10th Ohio Cavalry, Co. K. Promoted to rank of Corporal. Served in 41st Ohio Infantry as 1st Lieutenant.  (Age 29)

10th Regiment, Ohio Cavalry:  Organized at Camp Taylor, Cleveland, Ohio, October, 1862. Left State for Nashville, Tenn., February 27, 1863. Attached to 2nd Brigade, 2nd Cavalry Division, Army of the Cumberland, to August, 1863. 3rd Brigade, 2nd Division, Cavalry Corps, Army Cumberland, to November, 1863. 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, Cavalry Corps, Army Cumberland, to April, 1864. 2nd Brigade, Kilpatrick's 3rd Division, Cavalry Corps, Army of the Cumberland, to October, 1864. 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, Cavalry Corps, Military Division  Mississippi, to June, 1865. Dept. of North Carolina to July, 1865.

SERVICE.-Duty at Murfreesboro till June, 1863. Expedition to Auburn, Snow Hill, Liberty, etc., April 2-6. Smith's Ford April 2. Snow Hill, Woodbury, April 3. Scout to Smithville June 4-5. Snow Hill June 4. Smithville June 5. Scout on Salem Pike June 12. Middle Tennessee or Tullahoma Campaign June 23-July 7. Occupation of Middle Tennessee till August 16. Passage of Cumberland Mountains and Tennessee River and Chickamauga (Ga.) Campaign August 16-September 22. Battle of Chickamauga September 19-21. Operations against Wheeler and Roddy September 30-October 17. McMinnville October 4. Farmington  October 7. March to relief of Knoxville November 27-December 8. Near Loudon December 2. Expedition to Murphey, N. C., December 6-11. Near Dandridge December 22-23 (Detachment). Dandridge December 24 (Detachment). Mossy Creek, Talbot Station, December 29. Schulz's Mill, Cosby Creek, January 14, 1864 (Detachment). Near Wilsonville January 22, 1864. Expedition to Quallatown, N. C., January 31-February 7 (Detachment). Quallatown February 5. Scout from Ringgold, Ga., to Lafayette April 24-25. Atlanta (Ga.) Campaign May 1 to September 8. Stone Church May 1. Lee's Cross Roads and Ringgold Gap May 2. Demonstrations on Resaca May 8-13. Sugar Valley May 11. Near Resaca May 13.  Battle of Resaca May 14-15. Rome May 17-18. Battles about Dallas, New Hope Church and Allatoona Hills May 25-June 5. Near Stilesboro June 9 (Detachment). Operations about Marietta and against Kenesaw Mountain June 10-July 2. On line of the Chattahoochie River July 3-17. Siege of Atlanta July 22-August 25.  Frogtown August 3. Lovejoy Station August 10. Sandtown and Fairburn August 15. Kilpatrick's Raid around Atlanta July 18-22. Camp Creek August 18. Red Oak and Jonesboro August 19. Lovejoy Station  August 20. Claiborne August 24. Flank movement on Jonesborough August 25-30. Fairburn August 27-28. Red Oak August 28. Flint River Station and Jonesborough August 30. Battle of Jonesboro August 31-September 1. Lovejoy Station September 2-6. Campbellton September 10. Operations against Hood in North Georgia and North Alabama September 30-November 3. Camp Creek September 30. Sweetwater and Noyes Creek near Powder Springs October 2-3. Van Wert October 9-10. Dallas October 21. March to the sea November 10-December 15. Bear Creek Station November 16. Walnut Creek and East Macon November 20. Waynesboro November 27-28. Buckhead Creek or Reynolds' Plantation November 28.  Louisville November 30. Waynesboro December 4. Ebenezer Creek December 8. Siege of Savannah December 10-21. Campaign of the Carolinas January to April, 1865. Aiken and Blackville, S. C., February 11. North Edisto River February 12-13. Guenter's Bridge February 14. Phillips' Cross Roads, N. C.,  March 4. Rockingham March 7-8. Monroe's Cross Roads March 10. Taylor's Hole Creek, Averysboro,  March 16. Battle of Bentonville March 19-21. Raleigh April 12-13. Morrisville April 13. Bennett's House  April 26. Surrender of Johnston and his army. Duty in the Dept. of North Carolina till July. Mustered out July 24, 1865. Regiment lost during service 3 Officers and 34 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 1 Officer and 158 Enlisted men by disease. Total 201.

41st Regiment, Ohio Infantry :  Organized at Camp Wood, Cleveland, Ohio, August 26 to October 29, 1861. Mustered in October 31, 1861. Moved to Camp Dennison, Ohio, November 6, thence to Gallipolis, Ohio, November 16, thence to  Louisville, Ky. Duty at Camp Wickliffe, Ky., till February, 1862. Attached to 15th Brigade, Army of the Ohio, December, 1861, to January, 1862. 15th Brigade, 4th Division, Army of the Ohio, to February, 1862. 19th Brigade, 4th Division, Army of the Ohio, to September, 1862. 19th Brigade 4th Division, 2nd Corps, Army of the Ohio, to November, 1862. 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, Left Wing 14th Army Corps, Army of the Cumberland, to January, 1863. 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, 21st Army Corps, Army of the Cumberland, to October, 1863. 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, 4th Army Corps, Army of the Cumberland, to August, 1865. Dept. of Texas to November, 1865.

SERVICE.-Advance on Nashville, Tenn., February 14-25, 1862. Occupation of Nashville February 25 to March 18. March to Savannah, Tenn., March 18-April 6. Battle of Shiloh, Tenn., April 6-7. Advance on  and siege of Corinth, Miss., April 29-May 30. Occupation of Corinth and pursuit to Booneville May 30-June 12. March to Athens, Ala., and duty there till July 17, and at Murfreesboro till August 17. March to Louisville, Ky., in pursuit of Bragg August 17-September 26. Pursuit of Bragg into Kentucky October 1-22. Battle of Perryville, Ky., October 8. Danville October 11. Rockcastle River October 18. Nelson's Cross Roads October 18. Pittman's Cross Roads October 19. March to Nashville, Tenn., October 23-November 6, and duty there till December 26. Advance on Murfreesboro December 26-30. Battle of Stone's River December 30-31, 1862, and January 1-3, 1863. Woodbury January 24. Duty at Murfreesboro till June. Expedition from Readyville to Woodbury April 2. Snow Hill, Woodbury, April 3. Middle Tennessee (or Tullahoma) Campaign June 22-July 7. Liberty Gap June 22-23. Occupation of Middle Tennessee till August 16. Passage of the Cumberland Mountains and Tennessee River and Chickamauga (Ga.) Campaign August16-September 22. Lee and Gordon's Mills September 11-13. Battle of Chickamauga, Ga., September 19-20. Siege of Chattanooga, Tenn., September 24-November 23. Reopening Tennessee River October  26-29. Brown's Ferry October 27. Chattanooga-Ringgold Campaign November 23-27. Orchard Knob November 23-24. Mission Ridge November 25. March to relief of Knoxville November 28-December 8. Operations in East Tennessee till April, 1864. Atlanta (Ga.) Campaign May 1 to September 8. Demonstrations on Rocky Faced Ridge and Dalton, Ga., May 8-13. Battle of Resaca May 14-15. Adairsville May 17. Near Kingston May 18-19. Near Cassville May 19 and May 24. Operations on line of Pumpkin  Vine Creek and battles about Dallas, New Hope Church and Allatoona Hills May 25-June 5. Pickett's Mills  May 27. Operations about Marietta and against Kenesaw Mountain June 10-July 2. Pine Hill June 10-14. Lost Mountain June 15-17. Assault on Kenesaw Mountain June 27. Ruff's Station, Smyrna Camp Ground, July 4. Chattahoochie River July 5-17. Pace's Ferry July 5. Peach Tree Creek July 19-20. Siege of Atlanta  July 22-August 25. Flank movement on Jonesboro August 25-30. Battle of Jonesboro August 31-September 1. Lovejoy Station September 2-6. Operations against Hood in North Georgia and North Alabama September 29-November 3. Nashville Campaign November-December. Columbia, Duck River, November 24-27. Battle of Franklin November 30. Battle of Nashville December 15-16. Pursuit of Hood to the Tennessee River December 17-28. Moved to Huntsville, Ala., and duty there till March, 1865. Operations in East Tennessee March 15-April 22. Duty at Nashville till June. Moved to New Orleans, La., June 16; thence to Texas. Duty at San Antonio till November. Mustered out November 27, 1865.

Regiment lost during service 8 Officers and 168 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 1 Officer and 153 Enlisted men by disease. Total 330.

SISSON, Olen George  (1841-1919) 1st Cousin  (Grandson of Augustus Sisson)

Private in 2nd Wisconsin Cavalry, Co. B.  (Age 20)

SISSON, Oree Augustus (1844-1908)  1st Cousin  (Grandson of Augustus Sisson)

Private in 2nd Wisconsin Cavalry, Co. B.   (Age 17)