Related Families

Tue 20 Oct 2009 02:10:36 PM EDT

H2>Families Related to Carraways in Princess Anne

A couple of dozen 18th century families in Princess Anne Co. may have had members who moved south--to Craven Co. and largely to an area just north of the mouth of the Neuse River in what was then Craven Co., NC, but later became Pamlico Co. Most or all of those described here were related to or at least associated with CARRAWAY in one if not both states. This study shows one of the significant migration paths by which people in southeast coastal Virginia moved southward into North Carolina.

The study is made in an attempt to establish (or disprove) the kinship of each of these families in Princess Anne with its corollary in Craven Co. It is obvious for example that the Carraways who came to Craven In 1729 are the same family who were selling their property in Princess Anne about that time; for one thing those were virtually the only Carraways in America at the time. But such direct evidence has not been found for most of the families discussed. It is important therefore to realize that no claims are made about kinship between most of the families in the two locations. The data is only provided as suggestions for possible further study.

At the opposite pole is a family like MOORE. There were certainly Moores in Princess Anne for a century before the Revolution. And Moores owned property on the Lower Broad Creek adj to the Carraways, Clayton and Delamar families. But there are Moores in just about every county and living pretty close to just about everyone.

It is hoped that some readers of the study may have data linking the Moores, or the Whitehursts, or the Halls, or the Saunders, or any of the families involved.

John Carraway II and his wife Anne Kemp Carraway had a large family and some of them appear to have moved to Craven Co. more or less immediately upon the death of John. By In 1729 his children for the most part were adults with families of their own. It appears in other words that a number of family units traveled to the Neuse, if not together, then at least in the same time period.


(Note: in this file the # symbol will be used for the monetary unit of the pound.)

Here is a list of surnames in VA and NC. Most of these people were related to, connected with or associated in some way with the Carraway family, many of whose members moved to Craven Co. NC ca In 1730:

All of these surnames appear in Craven Co. NC in the 18th century. All but Clayton appeared previously in Princess Anne Co. VA.


Ackiss

In 1665 Mrs. Ann Hacke, widow of Dr. George Hacke, and her sons, George, Nicholas, and Peter, were granted 1000 acres in Northampton Co at Pungotegue.

In 1764 Mr. John Ackiss owned land adjacent to the 1/2 acre which John Whitehead Jr. and Mary his wife conveyed to the "elders and rulers of the Regular Baptist Church at Pungo. (This deed was witnessed by Philip X Fisher among others. Could Philip be kin to the Randolph Fisher who sold property on the Neuse to Thomas Carraway In 1729?)

In 1774 Mr. John Ackiss was Church Warden in the Parish of Linnhaven. In 1775 he was a member of the Princess Anne Committee of Safety.In 1776 he was appointed to take the tithes for the upper and middle precincts of the Eastern Shore and for Black Water Precinct. He listed himself in the Upper Precinct with 1000 acres and 19 slaves, and In 1779 he was a vestryman.

In Craven County

In 1729 Robert A. Atkis was a witness to a deed of 250 acres on the north side of the Neuse beginning at Powells Cr. and running down the river to Island Cr.; below it was George Whitaker and above it was William Carraway. This was a conveyance from Charles Hopton to Elizabeth West. The other witnesses were Thomas Masters and Peter Oxenwall.

In 1730 John Ackis, late of Virginia, purchased 270 acres on Dawson's Cr., a lapsed patent of Francis Dawson, owned in sequence by Richard Graves, Joseph Edmondson, John Cake, and finally Charles Denman, Esq. Daniel Shine, attorney for Denman, conveyed this deed to Ackiss.

In 1730 Robert Atkins witnessed the conveyance of Thomas Harvey to Rees Price for #40 of 100 acres beg at the mouth of Orchard Creek and running up the river to the upper corner of Fulsher's line then down Orchard Creek to beg.
wits: Wm Handcock, Junr. R. Atkins
"I sign all my right of the within mentioned deed to Mr. Rees Price. Robert Atkins wits Dan Shine and Thomas Harvey

In 1733 Hugb Ackis planter for #40 sold to Samuel Granberry 50 acres beg at the mouth of Dawson Creek running up a line to the head of John Akis' branch above the house then down the branch to the creek and down the creek to the beginning.
wit: Valentine Bowers, Sarah Ackis and Hugh Bunkes.

In 1738 John and Margarett Ackis for #260 sold to James Roberts 270 acres at mouth of Dawsons Creek on side of sd creek except 50a which he had already sold to Sam Grandbury near the mouth of the creek, "where he now lives."
wit: Thomas Pearson.

In 1750 Sam Granberry, planter sold the 50 acres he had acquired from Hugh Ackis to Abner Neale Esqr. for #15.
witnesses: Edmnd Cullen, Jos. Masters and Tho Cook


Bowers

In 1654 Robert Bowers transported Francis and Symon Harper and William and Elizabeth Saunders among six people and was granted a patent for 300 acres at the head of Symons Cr. near the west branch of the Eliz. River.

In Craven County

In the In 1720's Christian and his son Valentine Bowers owned property on the north shore of the Neuse, some of which was sold In 1729 by Randolph Fisher to Thomas Carraway.

In 1730 Arthur Bowers, doctor of Physic for #160 bought from George Bould, blacksmith, 300 acres beg at the mouth of Beard's Creek and running down the river, then 1 miles back from the river, then back to beg.
witnesses: Martin Franck and Nichs Rutledge.

In 1731 Dr. Arthur Bowers sold to John Keeling planter for #150, the 300 acres which he had purchased the year before from George Bould on the north shore of the Neuse beg. at mouth of Beards Cr. and running down the river, thence to the back line running 1 mile.
wit: Martin Franck and Jacob Sheets


Brinson

In 1772 Hillary Brinson is listed as a parishoner with 50 acres by vestry for Parish of Lynhaven County of Princess Ann with vestrymen Capt. James Kempe and Capt. John Whitehurst. This short list included Jacob, Wm, Wm Jr., and John Keeling and John Lovett.

In 1775 Cornelius and William Brinson and John and James Cason and Edward Cannon Jr., John, Jacob and Cason Moore, James, John and Thomas Simmons, John, Solomon, William, and Hillary Whitehurst listed for the Middle Precinct of the eastern shore by Edward Cannon, justice who was charged by the court to take the Titheables.

1804 Sarah Brinson married John Moore.

In Craven County

In 1749 Samuel Pasey (Pacey), cooper, sold to Cason Brinson Jr. planter for #28, 150a, part of a survey granted to Sam Pasey 15 oct 1748 on ns Neuse and ws of Goose Creek.

In 1750 Cason Brinson sold 82 acres to Cason Scott, part of a grant to Simon Malpas dated 15 Feb. In 1739. It was on the east side of Goose Cr.

In 1758 James Brinson bought from Peter Harper 75a on e side of Goose Cr.
wits Cason Brinson and John Linton

In 1760 Cason Brinson sold to Wm Fulsher 68a on w. side of Pearces Crk, part of the land that Benedictus Horsington bought of Edmund Pearce; patented by Edmund Pearce In 17 June 1706.
wits: Robt Burney and Jeroshua Fulsher

In 1771 Robert Brinson's corner was adj to John Bryan and James Clayton according to Clayton's grant of 500 acres in SW Lower Broad Cr: adj Delamar, Brooks, Bryan, Brinson, and Wilkes.

In 1782 James Brinson patented 300 acres on the east side of Upper Broad, beginning at Solomon Edwards' corner post, to Goose Cr. The same year Cason Brinson patented 150 acres nearby.

In 1784 Sarah Brinson married Samuel Sparrow.
bond Abner Neale
witness: Christopher Neale, who was also clerk of court.

The 1790 Craven Co. census shows Daniel and James Brinson adjacent to Samuel Sparrow and close to Hall, Delamar, Carraway, West and Dawson.

In 1844 Peter Brinson married Sarah Ann E. Carraway.


Carney

(No Carney patents found in Virginia.)

In 1761 Richard Carney was appointed vestryman of Portsmouth Parish of Norfolk Co. (also James Ives)
(These two families were neighbors of Carraways and Claytons in Craven Co.)

In Craven County

In 1742 John and Mary Carraway sold to John Nelson 800a n side of Neuse, n side of Powells Cr where Richard Smith lived, patented In 1724 by Richard Smith. (This property was named Hickory Point.)
wits John Carney, John West and Thomas Nelson
The #700 purchase price was receipted by Richard Lovett.

In 1750 John Carney bought from Eliz Simmons for #6:8S 115 acres on Adams Creek ss of the Neuse.
witness: Southy Rue

In 1753 James Carney, a tanner who had apparently left Craven County conveyed 200 acres at Turkey Point to Solomon Daugherty.

In 1799 John Carney for #52 bought from James Clayton 40 acres in forks of Smith Creek, adj Abner Neale and James Thomas.
witnesses: James Tolley and James Carraway

(LDS Source, Harace D. McClune, Descendants of Henry McClune 1962 SAR in San Francisco state that:
James Clayton, b Dupline Co, NC, 6 June 1727,
son of George Clayton and Eliz Jane Ferman,
md Hannah Carney (1725-1777) Dupline,
dau of Abraham Carney and Judy Lucas.
Your writer has no idea if or how this James Clayton fits into his family or any of the Craven Co. Claytons.)

In 1801 Wm D. Bryan for $1000 sold 150a to Joseph Carraway e side of Smith Creek beg upper side of Woodward Gut running up the gut to the head of said Joseph's line, to the creek line of patent hence down the creek to the beg.
wits: James Carney, Jr. and Wm Tripp


Cannon

In 1646 Edward Cannon and his wife, Ann came to Virgina with 6 others transported by Edward Hall for 400 acres in Lower New Norfolk, the sw side of Bennets Cr.

In 1652 Edward Cannon and Thomas Allen patented 520a Lower Norfolk in Linnhaven parish on a branch of Mr. Woodhouse's Dam.

In 1654 Edward Cannon was one of signers of a petition to the Lower Norfolk Co. Court for a minister for the area.

In 1684/5 Thomas Cannon was listed in Lower Norfolk Libraries with 2 bibles and 1 other book.

In 1684 the will of Elizabeth Cannon was proved. She was exor of her late husband, Thomas Cannon. She named sons Edward, Thomas and John and daughter Sarah. Among the exors was brother-in-law Edward Cannon.

About 1695 John Carraway 3 (ca 1675-1719) married Elizabeth Cannon. She was the daughter of Edward and Elizabeth Martin Cannon.

In 1698 Edward and Thomas Cannon witnessed the will of Capt. Thomas Russell.

In 1699 Thomas Cannon wrote his will naming brother John and cousin Edward Carraway.

In 1700 Mary Cannon deeded property to son John and daughter Elizabeth.
Witnesses were Mark Powell and John Carroway, Jr. (John III)

In 1710 Edward Cannon witnessed a conveyance from Joel Cornick to John Cornick.

In 1716 John Carroway Sr. and wife Ann made a deed of gift of 100 acres each to sons Thomas, William and James at Bowin's River in Princess Anne Co. VA, dated - 31 July 1716
wit Richard Corbet, Mary Canon. This Mary Cannon was perhaps the mother-in-law of John Carraway III.

In 1723 Edward Cannon deeded to son Edward 115a.
Wit John Cornick, William Vese

In 1733 John Cannon wrote his will, naming wife Amy (exor) and sons Thomas, John, and Edward and daughters Mary, Elizabeth and Amy.
Witnesses were George and Richard Simmons and James Spratt.

In 1734 Edward Cannon wrote his will naming wife Elizabeth and son John.

In 1735 Amy Conner(?) deeded gifts to her children Thomas, Edward, Elizabeth and Amy Cannon.

In 1748 Dennis Cannon for 5 shillings sold to John Capps the 200a which Edward Cannon, Sr. gave to his two sons, Edward and Dennis. (This conveyance may reflect the movement of the Cannons to NC.)

In 1775 Edward Cannon and others petitioned the court for "establishment of a town at Kempes Landing at the Head of the Eastern Branch". James Kempe was a member of the court.

In 1776 Edward Cannon and William Nimmo were appointed Collectors of the Parish Levy in Princess Anne.

(We're indebted to CANNON RESEARCH by Martha Mewborn Marble of 1377 Independence Ave, SE, Washington, DC 20003 for much of the data in this section.)

In Craven County

In 1733 Sarah Cannon wrote her will (found in Beaufort Co. Will Book) naming children - Margaret, Edward, Dennis, Sarah, Henry, Jessee, Mary, Olef, John, David, Ruth, and William. The exor was son David.

The 1769 Craven Co. Tax List included Edward, Elizabeth, and Henry Cannon.

The 1780 Craven Co. Tax List included Henry Cannon, Sr.

Soon after 1795 James Cannon married Eunice Clayton. She was the daughter of James Clayton by his last wife, Mary Edwards. James and Eunice Cannon went to Georgia with other members of the Clayton family.

In 1803 the inventory of Nathaniel Carraway, Jr. included the debts of James Cannon and his wife's grand nephew, James Clayton.

(We're indebted to CANNON RESEARCH by Martha Mewborn Marble of 1377 Independence Ave, SE, Washington, DC 20003 for much of the data in this section.)


Collins

In 1742 George Collins married Mary Phillips.

In 1771 Lemuel Collins was listed in the Princess Anne Vestry with 100 acres and 2 slaves. John was listed without land, but with a slave.

In 1779 Henry Collins was on the jury that found George Logan guilty of treason. (Logan's house was at Kemp's Landing and used temporarily as a courthouse.)
The same year Henry Collins was appointed a processioner in the Little Creek Precinct.

In Craven County

Amy Carraway, daughter of Thomas Carraway, was married to a Collins. She was listed in Thomas Carraway's will, written In 1767.


Consolvo --This received Mon 10-04-99 from

William A. Consolvo I am researching the Consolvo family, who also has records from both areas. William Consalvo is recorded as purchasing land in Princess Anne County in 1690 and again in 1713. The Consolvo's of Craven can be found in the family histories of Graves and Greene, as Hannah Consolvo of Craven married into both of these families. These southern Consolvo's are also variously recorded as living in the Perquimans, Albemarle area.

Gaskin

In 1636 Thomas Gaskins was granted 300 acres in Accomack Co. He transported Josias, Eliz., Alic and Mary Gaskins and Josias Grambling.

In 1638 Cevill Gaskins was transported by William Rainshaw for 300 acres in Lower Norfolk about 6 miles up the eastward branch of the Eliz R.

In 652 Savill Gaskin patented 250 acres in Linn haven.

In 1659 Savill Gaskins was a member of Lower Norfolk Court.

In 1775 George and Dianah Gaskings were listed as property owners in Lower Precinct of the Western Shore as also James Carraway and James Kemp.

In 1791 George Gasking married Sarah Carraway.

-----In Craven-----

(Waiting for further information)


Hall

In 1642 Edward Hall was in a court action as attorney for Mr. Robert Powis Clarke.

In 1645 Edward Hall, church warden, presented a malefactor to the court of Lower Norfolk Co.

In 1646 Edward Hall was granted 400 acres lower New Norfolk on sw side of Bennets Cr. for transport of 8 including Edward Cannon and his wife Ann, and the following year Thomas Hall patented 300 acres near the southern branch of the Elizabeth River.

In 1654 Edward Hall was one of signers of a petition to the Lower Norfolk Co. Court for a minister for the area.

-----In Craven-----

Thomas Carraway had patented In 179 acres at the head of Cashaw Cr. In In 1760 Benjamin Hall acquired half of this tract from Thomas Neale. In 1763 Benjamin Hall,Nathaniel Carraway, John Bryan, Thos Delamar, Jos Edmondson Senr, John Mill Sr. Chris. Dawson Esqr, James Edmondson, James Carraway, Thomas and John Nelson, Charles Chenwolf, and John Bryan were appointed a jury to lay the road below Wm Bryan's plantation

In 1786 Benjamin Hall's corner is said to be adjacent to a tract between the head of Trent and Smith's Creek, part of a 1768 patent to William Brooks, which he conveyed to Thomas Carraway, Jr.

In 1789 Elizabeth Hall married Thomas Delamar, the son of Francis Delamar III and Harty Nelson. The bondsman was Thomas Carraway.

The 1790 Craven Co. census shows Thomas Hall adj Samuel Sparrow and close to Brinson, Delamar, Carraway, West and Dawson. It also shows Oliver Hall adj James Carraway and Thomas Ives.

In 1792 Oliver Hall witnessed the conveyance of Sam, Benj. and Thomas Sparrow, shipwrights of Craven to Joseph Carraway of a tract on the e side of Smith Cr., including part of the patent granted to Cason Brinson.

In 1796 Daniel Hall, Methodist minister, was appointed (perhaps by Francis Asbury) to the Pamlico circuit. In 1801 he located (Methodist parlance for giving up his credentials as a "traveling minister"). The same year Joseph Hall was admitted to the Methodist Conference on trial.

In the early 19th century two Carraway men married Hall girls in Craven Co:

1812 Emery Carraway married Sally Hall.

1814 William Carraway married Dorcas Hall.


James Clayton, who came to Craven Co. In 1767 from Kent Co. DE and then Hyde Co. NC, was closely associated with another Hall family in these two locations. It has not been determined which of the Halls in Craven Co. in the 18th century were associated with the DE and Hyde Co. Halls and/or the Princess Anne family.

Hancock

In 1652 Symond Hancock gave His God-Son John Williams[on] A Cow Calf In This Manner. The First Calf It Brings For Use Of Said John Williams, The Third Calf To Be For Use Of Elizabeth Carraway. If John Williams Die Before 21 The Cattle To Elizabeth Carraway. If She Die Before Coming Of Age The Cattle To John Carraway His Second Or Third Childe And For The Better Looking After These Cattle It Is My Desire That The Father Or Mother Shall Have The Male Increase, And This To Be Recorded As A Free Gifte.
Wit: William Moseley, John Pigott.

(In 1640 John Williamson was transported by John Radford for 200 acres Lower Norfolk Co. on Western br. of Eliz River.)

In a In 1652 petition of John Carraway, he was to have half of male increase of cow given by Richard Wester (or Woster) (Foster) to the orphan of Roger Williams[on], now in possession of sd Carraway who married the relict of Williams[on].

In 1654 Sarah Hancock of Lynhaven was granted 300 acres adj John Carraway.

In 1654 John Carraway signed bond for Sarah Hancocke, wife of Simon.

In 1669 Wm. Hancock, Arthur Moseley, Thos. V. Ivy and George Kemp appraised the estate of JOHN CARRAWAY.

-----In Craven-----

In 1714 Capt. William Hancock was owed money by Francis Dawson, decd of Craven Precinct. (Dawson slaughtered by Tuscaroras?)

In 1730 Col William Hancock owned land on the south shore of the Neuse, as did also William West, cooper.

In 1764 James Handcock witnessed the conveyance of William Whitehurst to Thomas Roe, Jr., both of Craven for #25 s side of Neuse left side of Slocumb's cr beg at John Slocumb's corner, marked by said Whitehurt and Tho Smith patent 29 Mar 1751 150a wit James Handcock James Jones James Read


Harper

In 1642 William Harper was transported by Epaphroditus Lawrence with others for 1400 acres in Upper Norf. Co. on New Towne haven River.

In 1654 Francis Harper and Symon Harper and his wife and also William and Elizabeth Saunders and John Walker were the six people transported by Robert Bowers for 300 acrs at the head of Symons Cr., a branch of the west branch of the Eliz. River.

In 1706 John Harper's plantation was selected by a general court as the site for a trial by drowning/swimming of Grace Sherwood, accused of witchcraft by Luke Hill. (Cf William and Mary Quarterly)
In another account it is referred to as William Harper's plantation.

In 1753 James Harper witnessed the will of James Nimmo in Princess Anne Co.

In 1761 Samuel and William Happer were appointed vestrymen of "Sait Brides" Parish of Norfolk Co.

-----In Craven-----

In 1729 William, John and Thomas Carraway with Furn Green, Sr. and Jr. and Nicholas Harper to lay off road from Gum Swamp to the ferry.

In 1758 Peter Harper conveyed 75a to James Brinson on e side of Goose Cr. wits Cason Brinson and John Linton

In 1778 John Harper patented 200a on Chinkepin Cr.

In 1778? John Bryan patented 100a Goose Cr. and head of Persimmon Br. adj Peter Harper.

In 1784 Thomas Harper deeded to Mary Carraway for 400 lbs the land he patented Feb. 28, 1775.

In 1785 Abraham Harper patented 90a adj the river, Wm Carraway, Sam Hover, Thomas Harper

Georgia:

1830 Wm M Harper won lottery for Head (probably Carroll County) and soon married Harriet Clayton in Butts Co.


Horsington

In 1663 John Horsington, Gent. patented 1750 acres in New Kent Co. on the branches of Black Cr. and the record gives a list of the 35 people he transported to qualify for this acreage. The list included Robert, Thomas, and Dorothy Horsington and Dorothy Cannon.

It seems likely that the Benedict Horsington who married Dinah Carraway, daughter of John and Anne Kemp Carraway, may have been a member of this family.

-----In Craven-----

Some time in 1729 or before Benedict Horsington purchased from Edmund and Rachel Pearce 1/2 of a tract on the Neuse to Powells Cr, which Pearce had patented in 1707. In 1729 they sold the other half to Thomas Carraway, who was Horsington's bro-in-law.

In 1732 Dinah Horsington conveyed to her four daughters (after her death) the 275 acres where she lived. The daughters were Elizabeth, Dinah, Mary, and Sarah.

In 1760 Cason Brinson sold to William Fulsher 68 acres of Horsington's tract; the witnesses were Robert Burney and Jeroshua Fulsher.


Ives

In 1655 Timothy Ives and Margaret, his wife were transported by John Marshall for 100 acres in Lower Norfolk Co. on e branch of Eliz R.

In 1663 Johanna Ives was transported by Jacob Smith for 300 acres Lower Norfolk Co. adj Smith's Cr., Thomas Sayer

In 1746 Robert Ives married Cosiah Johnson in Norfolk Co.

In 1761 James Ives was appointed vestryman of Portsmouth Parish of Norfolk Co. (also Richard Carney)

-----In Craven-----

In 1728 John Ives acquired from Robert Stanton 100 acres of the patent of Col John Worsley. The property was located between the north shore of the Lower Broad and the mouth of the Neuse and adjacent to Mr. Harford.
witesses included Job Ives and John Brooks

In 1737 Job Ives witnessed the will of John Martin (in Hyde, Beaufort, Craven?? Co.) and proved it in Beaufort Co.

In 1739 John Ives bought from John Moore of Bath Co. for #14 293 acres being included in a patnet granted to sd John Moor at head of lower Broad cr, sd patent dated 1 july 1738, afsd parcel being part of high land in sd patent that lies on east side of the swamp beg at the present main road and binding with the edges of the main swamp to the head line, also use of any standing timber in any part of the cypress swamp in the patent.
witnesses: John Good, Sam Harvey, Chas Howard.

In 1744 John Ives deeded the upper half of his 100 acre plantation to his son Job and the lower half to his son Jonas.
John Moore was one of the witnesses.
In 1752 John Ives died, having stipulated the above deeds in his will in Craven Co.

In 1761 Job Ives gave his son John Ives the plantation where he lived, on east side of Browns Cr. beginning at William Carruthers' corner. He also gave him the 50 acres at the head of Broad Creek which he had bought from John Moor, who patented it in 1738.
Witnesses were John Carruthers, and William and Joseph Brooks.

In 1761 John Ives acquired 150 acres from George Phenney Lovick on the south shore of the Neuse, and one of the witnesses was Joseph Hall. (This Lovick was probably from the family represnted in Bertie Precinct rather than a Lovett from Princess Anne.)

The 1790 Craven Co. census shows Thomas Ives adj. to James Carraway and Oliver Hall.

In 1796 John Ives bought from Nathaniel Carraway a tract at head of Trent Cr. beginning Howards patent line, corner of John Carruthers, running along Carruthers and Wm Brooks patent line to corner of Brooks patent.
wts Joshua Carraway Wm Brooks

In 1806 William Ives witnessed deed of Joshua and Sarah Carraway and Eliz Morris to Spring Brooks to land s side of Bay River.

In 1807 Henry Ives married Mary Delamar.

In 1842 Thomas Carraway married Elizabeth Ives.


Keeling

A Thomas Keeling came to Virginia with Capt. Adam Thorowgood on the Hopewell in 1628. In 1635 he patented 100 acres in Elizabeth Citty Co. In 1643 Ensign Thomas Keeling patented 200 acres in Lynhaven, but in 1647 this grant was conveyed to William Shipp. In 1651 Thomas Keeling patented 700 acres near the head of the main branch of the Lynhaven River.

In 1665 John Keeling patented 150 acres in Lynhaven Parish, granted to Adam Keeling in 1661, who gave it to his son, John.

In 1678/9 The Court in Lower Norfolk included Mr. Adam Keeling. A complaint was made against Alice, wife of Thomas Cartwright concerning death of a child by witchcraft. She was acquited by a jury of women.

In 1685 Capt. Adam Keeling in a listing of books in Lower Norfolk Libraries had 4 books.

Thomas Keeling married Elizabeth Carraway Lovett. Their children were: Thomas, John, William, Elizabeth, Adam and Margaret.

Anne Keeling married William Carraway Lovett. Their children were:
William, Mary, and Ann

In 1799(?) Sarah Keeling was married to William Carraway by Rev. Anthony Walke.

In 1714 Adam Keeling (1698-1771) married Sarah Cartwright. Their children were William, Thomas, Henry and Sarah

In 1721 Margaret Keeling married John Carraway 4. Their children were: Henry, Elizabeth, Thomas, John, Adam, and Bedreadon. (Some of these children were born in Princess Anne and some in Craven.)

-----In Craven-----

In 1729 John Keeling, perhaps the son of Thomas and Elizabeth Carraway Lovett Keeling, paid #40 of Virginia money to John Wexdell for 130 acres adjacent land of John Bernard Sherwood. Witnesses included John Carraway and William Cartwright. The same parties (including witnesses) were involved in a similar deed of 95 acres on the east side of Beards Cr. In 1732 he sold this 95 acres, "where I lately did dwell". (This land is in the vicinity of what seems to be the primary holding of William Carraway Esq, who in his 1783 will mentioned the mill on Beards Cr. and left most of his property, at his wife's death to his nephew Francis Delamar.)


Kemp

In 1642 Thomas Kemp, as well as Jon Carraway, Robt Fentrice, and John Nemo were among the persons listed by Chrstopher Boyce to qualify for a patent of 2000 acres on the Peankatanke River.

In I649 George Kemp and others, referred to as Seditious Sectuaries, were presented to Court for not repairing to their parish church, etc. In 1652 he patented 400 acres in Lynhaven, crossing the eastern branch of Eliz R. The same year John Carrowaye witnessed the will of William Moseley Elder, who mentioned in his will a conveyance from George Kemp. Kemp must have returned to England briefly because the following year he and his wife, Mary (Lovett), were listed among those transported by William Langly.

In 1669 John Carraway died and George Kemp, William Hancock, Arthur Moseley, and Thomas. Ivy were directed to appraise his estate.

In 1674 Anne Kemp, daughter of George Kemp and Mary Lovett, married John Carraway 2.

In 1725 another George Kempe was appointed by Linhaven vestry as surveyor of tobacco for the Eastern Branch precinct. Three years later he became a vestryman.

From 1771 to 1774 James Kempe was a vestryman at Princess Anne Co. The last three years he is referred to as Capt James Kempe.

In 1775 James Kempe and a number of other related families, John and William Hancock, Edward Cannon, William Keeling, Jr. and others, Gent. were members of the Committee of Safety of Princess Anne. He was also one of the justices who heard a petition by Edward Cannon and others, for the "establishment of a town at Kempes Landing at the Head of the Eastern Branch".

In 1779 James Kempe and other vestrymen of Linhaven Parish named processioners, including
William Hancock and Enoch Whitehurst on the south side of Eastern Branch precinct.
James Moore on the north side of the Eastern Branch precinct
Joshua Whitehurst for the upper precinct of the Western Shore.
Jacob Keeling for the lower precinct of the Eastern Shore.

I have not as yet found the Kemp surname represented in Craven.


Lester

Data on this family in Princess Anne is skimpy so far. However there was such a family in this area:
In 1637 James Lester was transported by Thomas Symmons for 450 acres in Charles River Co.

In 1782 Mrs. Mary Lister of P.A., decd; estate paid 4 pd 4 shillings for attendance and medicine to self and two children. In 1806 John Lester married Elizabeth Whitehurst (by Rev. Anthony Walke) In 1810 he lived in Princess Anne County and had 7 slaves. -----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----In Craven-----

James and Mary Edwards Clayton had a daughter Elizabeth, who married Jesse Lester some time before her mother died In 1795. Jesse was named one of the executors of Mary Clayton, his mother-in-law although Elizabeth had already died. He may have moved to GA with other members of the Clayton extended family.

In 1789 Jesse Lester purchased 30 acres from William Carraway in the Island Creek area, the deed being witnessed by Joseph Carraway. The previous year he had witnessed Joseph Carraway's purchase of 40 acres at the same place. Joseph Carraway and Jesse Lester had married half sisters: Sarah Edwards ca 1771 and Elizabeth Clayton, some years later.

In 1792 Jesse Lester, who was a blacksmith, appears to have sold his land on Island Cr. to his brother-in-law Joseph Carraway. This deed was witnessed by Francis Delamar, another member of the extended family. In 1795 Jesse Lester patented 100 acres in Craven on the east side of Green Point Run adj John Biggs and Wm Bryan.


Lewis

In 1698 John Lewis and his wife attended court in Princess Anne Co. as witnesses for James and Grace Sherwood, who were ordered to pay them for 4 days attendance.

In the 1772 Lynhaven Parish tax list there was a John Lovet with 87 acres. In 1774 Thomas Lewis with 90 was added.

In 1800 James Lewis appeared in Princess Anne Court and after proving his ordination as a Methodist Episcopal minister, signed a bond to celebrate the rites of Matrimony. He officiated that year at the weddings of Nathan Whitehurst and James Whitehurst, and John Whitehurst the following year.

-----In Craven-----

In 1728 Thomas Lewis was on Adams Cr. and adjacent to property owned by John and Lance Lovett.


Lovett

In 1651 Lancaster Lovett (husband of Mary Carraway?) patented 200 acres in Linhaven on Bennet Creek, and with John Martin, 600 acres at about the same place. (These associations of Lovett, Martin and Carraway, may be reflected by certain 18th century deeds in Craven Co.)

In 1654 Lancaster Lovett, brother-in-law to John Carraway II, was one of signers of a petition to the Lower Norfolk Co. Court for a minister for the area.

In 1657 Lancaster Lovett married Mary, daughter of John Carraway I.

In 1658 Lancaster Lovett patented 500 acres in Linn haven Parish adj John Martin's house at the forks of Bennetts Cr.
Edward Cannon and Edward Hall also lived in this area.

In 1674 John Carraway 2 married Ann Kemp, daughter of George Kemp and Mary Lovett.

Mary Carraway. daughter of John and Ann Carraway married John Lovett

In 1816 Lancaster Lovett married Mrs. Amey Moore in Princess Anne Co.

-----In Craven-----

In 1728 John Lovett for #80 sold to Lance Lovett half of a 160 acre tract on Adams Cr adj property of Thomas Lewis.
Randal Lovett was a witness.

In 1742 Richard Lovett witnessed receipt of #700 paid by John Nelson, Jr. of Pasquotank to John and Margaret Carraway for 800 acres (called Hickory Point) on n side of the Neuse. Witnessess of the deed were John West, John Carney and Tho Nelson.

In 1761 George Phenney Lovick conveyed 150 acres to John Ives on the south shore of the Neuse. (This Lovick was probably from the family represented in Bertie Precinct rather than a Lovett from Princess Anne.)

In 1774 William Whitehurst sold to Thomas Roe, both of Craven for #12 south side of Neuse adj john Flybus, John Bennners Esq beg at pine at Thomas Roe's line.
wits Basil Smith and Richard Lovett


Martin

In the 17th century the Martin family lived on Bennett Creek near Lancaster Lovett and the Cannons. Elizabeth Martin married Edward Cannon, and their daughter, Elizabeth married John Carraway III.

In 1638 Robert Martin was granted 2250 acres in Lower New Norfolk Co. in Eliz Riv, w. on Indian Cr. (near Whitehurst property)

In 1645 John Martin and Edward Hall, church wardens presented a malefactor to the court of Lower Norfolk Co.

In 1651 John Martin and Lancaster Lovett patented 600 acres in Linhaven on Bennet Creek. The Lovett, Hall, Martin and Cannon families seem to have lived in this area. (These associations of Lovett, Martin and Carraway, may be reflected by certain 18th century deeds in Craven Co.)

In 1658 John Martin's house was adj to 500 acre patent of Lancaster Lovett in Linn haven at the forks of Bennetts Cr.

In 1662 John Martin and Richard Foster were members of the Lower Norfolk Court order the vestry to meet.

In 1665 John Martin patented 578 acres Lynhaven Parish Indian Cabbin Branch of Lynhaven River adj John Woodhouse.

John Carraway 3 (ca 1675-1719) md Elizabeth Cannon ca 1695. She was the daughter of Edward and Elizabeth Martin Cannon.

-----In Craven-----

In 1722 John Martin and Francis Delamar were witnesses of the will of widow Sarah Jones of Bath. (She was on the Hyde Co. tax list in 1715.) This will appears to be in the Hyde Co. will book.)

In 1722 John Martin patented 100 acres on the south side of Bear River and west side of Trent Cr.

Thomas Martin purchased land from Randolph Fisher of Craven on the north shore of the Neuse adj to 130 acres which Fisher sold to Thomas Carraway In 1729.

In 1730 John Martin sold Benjamin Rice 235 acres on the south side of Bay River and west side of Trent Cr., which he had patented in In 1722.
Witnesses included Francis Delamar and John Carruthers.

In 1730 John Martin witnessed Daniel Shine's sale of 306 acres on the south side of Bay River to Francis Delamar.

In 1730 Thomas Martin witnessed a conveyance by John Hoard carpenter, son of Peter Hord, to John Mills marriner for #50 of 150 acres in Powells Creek, named White Hall.
witnesses: Thomas Martin, Will W Hudson and Wm Webb.

In 1737 the will of John Martin was proved in Beaufort Co. Court by Job Ives
wife Rosolanah (Carruthers) Martin all my estate during her life, then to my 2 sons John and Joseph Martin such of my lands as follows:
son John my now dwelling plantation with my lower plantation at the mouth of Broad Cr.
son Joseph all my plantation on ss Bare River near the fork adj Francis Delamars land
dawter Eliz Martin 1/2 my land on ns Bear River adj James Hewmeser? land
My child now carried in bowells of wife the other half , the upper end of sd tract on ns Bear River it being 640a to be divided betwixt sd child and dawter Eliz.
rest to be equally divided among heirs.
exrs: wife Rosolanah Martin and her brother John Carruthers and Francis Delamar and Robert Spring.
wit: William Carruthers, Job Ives, Eliz E Carruthers
Beaufort Precinct court 1737, proved by Job Ives and exhibited by Rosolanah Martin widow qualified.

It appears that Martin, Delamar, and Carruthers all lived in Hyde County before coming to Craven.

Question: Was this the same Martin family that had intermarried with the Cannons in Princess Anne???

In 1761 Joseph Martin, son of John Martin, sold 150 acres on the south side of Bay River, which John Martin had bought from Solomon Witherington.

In 1762 Samuel Martin, Arthur Carraway and Esther Parson witnessed Elizabeth West's sale to James Carraway for $10 of 500 acres on the north shore of the Neuse, beg at the creek.


Moore

William Carraway, son of John and Anne Kemp Carraway married Anne Moore, said to be the daughter of William Moore. There is a Moore family in Princess Anne and a Moore family on the Lower Broad Cr. in Craven Co., but I have not been able to establish a relationship between the two.

John Moore was the great great grandson of John Carraway I:
1. John Carraway and Ann Foster Williamson
2. Mary Carraway and Lancaster Lovett
3. William Lovett and Anne Keeling
4. Ann Lovett and Cason Moore
5. John Moore, son of Cason and Ann Lovett Moore, was thus a Lovett, a Keeling, and a Carraway (date and whereabouts unknown to the present writer).


In 1657 Edmund Moore patented 200 acres in Linhaven on Cypress branch.

In 1681 John Moore has a parcell of old books.
In 1763 Francis Moore and Anna, his wife sold to Dr. Christopher Wright 50 acres "of low ground on the sea side". Christopher Wright later sold it to Simon Stone and moved to North Carolina.

In 1765 Francis Moore was sued by Christopher Wright for money due the estate of William Hunter.

In 1768 In P.A. John Moore (son of Thomas) of P.A. capias to answer Williamson and Singleton re Trespass.

In 1775 James Sr., Abnor, Willoughby, and Caleb Moore own property in the Upper Precinct of the Eastern Shore (also Brinson, Martin, Whitehurst, and Williamson).

In 1775 John, Jacob and Cason Moore, Cornelius and William Brinson and John and James Cason and Edward Cannon Jr., James, John and Thomas Simmons, John, Solomon, William, and Hillary Whitehurst listed for the Middle Precinct of the eastern shore by Edward Cannon, justice who was charged by the court to take the Titheables.

In 1778 Cason Moore, John Hancock, Charles Williamson and other members of the court held at Kempe's Landing selected a court house and 'goal' until proper buildings can be built.
(There is a description of an early movement of the British army led by Lord Dunmore which involved Kempsville In 1776. It can be found in Lower Norfolk County Antiquary Vol 2 , pp 132 ff.)

In 1779 James Moore, Jr. was a juror in the Princess Anne trial which found George Logan guilty of treason and confiscated his home and property at Kemp's Landing.

In 1779 James Moore was a processioner on north side of Eastern Branch precinct.

In 1788 Cason Moore a vestryman at Linnhaven Parish when Rev. Anthony Walke was inducted as minister.

In 1789 Caleb Moore married Sarah Whitehurst.

In 1804 John Moore married Sarah Brinson.

In 1815 William Simmons married Amey Moore.
In 1816 Lancaster Lovett married Mrs. Amey Moore.

In Craven County

In 1729 William Carraway and his wife Anne, daughter of William Moore were living in North Carolina and sold to John Fentress for 16 shillings her share of her father's estate in Princess Anne.

In 1729 William and John Carraway, Furnifold Green, and John Moore to lay out road from head of Brown's Creek.

In 1737 John Moore bought from Sam Harvey, cooper, for #25 40 acres more or less on ss of Lower Broad Creek beg at the mouth of a gut a little below sd John More's dwellingg house and running down Broad Creek to the next gut then up sd gut and westermost branch of sd gut ...... to Price'ss line then along sd Prices line to 1st mentioned gut then down sd gut to Broad Creek to beg., a tract formerly granted by patnet dated 1719.
wit: Chares Howrd, John Ives, Joseph edmundson.

In 1738 John Moore patented 293 acres at head of Lower Broad Crk and the following year sold it to John Ives for #14.
witnesses: John Good, Sam Harvey, Chas Howard.

In 1744 he was one of the witnesses in John Ives's deed of his 100 acres on the north side of the Lower Broad to his two sons, Job and Jonas.

In 1767 John Moore the elder sold to John Carruthers Esq 100 acres on the north side of Lower Broad Creek from mouth of Whitehouse Gut, to a patent granted to Col John Worsley for #16 and a couple of months later Carruthers sold the tract for the same price to James Clayton.

In 1767 (same date as above) John Moore's patent is adj to property which John Carruthers Esq sold to James Clayton on the south side of Lower Broad Creek, beg at mouth of Poplar Branch, to John Moore's patent (In 1745), to Isaac Simmons line.
wit: Thomas Delamar and Isaac Simmons.
(Book 14, pp 99 and 101 have the two deeds)

In 1771 James Clayton patented 500 acres SW Lower Broad Cr. adj Tho Delamar in John Moore's Back Line to Tho Delamar's back line to Jos Brooks' corner to John Bryan's line along John Bryan's line to Robt Brinson? corner to Jos Wilkes' line.

In 1791 John Moore's line is adjacent to conveyance of William Clayton to Joseph Good, being part of 2 patents, one granted to John Moore for 293 acres bearing date 1738 and the other granted to James Clayton in 1771 for 500 acres.
witnesses Nicholas Cary and Wm Claton, Jun.

In 1797 Thomas Carraway md Seney Moore

1811 James Clayton for $400 to James Jones 250a w side of head of Broad Cr. beg. John Moore's corner, s side of Poplar Branch, John Paris Line, to back line of Tho Delamar patent line then s across James Clayton patent to Robt Burney's patent then N to Wilkes parent line to beginning. wits Henry and Sally Carraway (this is half of the patent that James Clayton, Sr. got In 1771.)


Parsons

In 1789 John Parsons Jr. was married to Anne Whitehurst by the recently ordained Anthony Walke of Princess Anne County, Lynhaven Parish.

In 1797 Anne Parsons married Joshua Hopkins.

-----In Craven-----

In 1762 Esther Parson, Samuel Martin and Arthur Carraway witnessed Elizabeth West's sale to James Carraway for $10 of 500 acres on the north shore of the Neuse, beg at the creek.


Saunders

In 1631 Roger Saunders, Gent. patented 300 acres at Accomacke commonly called the Indian feild. adj land of Mr. Harman. In 1654 William and Elizabeth Saunders, Francis Harper and Symon Harper and his wife and John Walker were the six people transported by Robert Bowers for 300 acrs at the head of Symons Cr., a branch of the west branch of the Eliz. River.

In 1695 Jonathan Saunders was minister at Lynhaven.

In 1719 Mary Saunders, daughter of Rev. Jonathan Saunders of Princess Anne, married Cornelius Calvert, who became a Norfolk Co. justice in In 1729/30.

In 1764 Jonathan Saunders (Jr?) was a member of the Princess Anne Court.

In 1799 Henry Durant married Mary Saunders.

-----In Craven-----

Mary Carraway, daughter of Thomas Carraway married a Saunders and was mentioned in her father's will In 1767 in Craven Co.

In 1790 Charles Saunders in Craven Co. census in what appears to be the vicinity of Trent Cr.


Sherwood

This family does not show so far any relationship with Carraways other than geographical contiguity or else closeness in both locations.

In 1680 James Sherwood was named as heir of the land of his father-in-law John White. The will was proved the following year.

In 1706 Grace Sherwood was accused of witchcraft before the Norfolk Co. Court. The matter went up to the Virginia Council, and this body (including William Churchill Esq) sent the case back to the County Court. Later that year the Norfolk Court ordered a trial by drowning or swimming of Grace Sherwood. The site was John Harper's plantation. (For further details on the Grace Sherwood story one is referred to the William and Mary Historical Magazine.)

Grace Sherwood appears to have made her will In 1733 leaving her plantation of 144 acres in Lynhaven to her son, John Sherwood. It was proved In 1740, and her inventory was recorded by John Sherwood.

-----In Craven-----

In 1729 John Barnard Sherwood owned land next to John Wexdell's deed to John Keeling, on or near Beards Cr.


Simmons

In 1696 William Simmons witnessed the will of Margaret Dawley, who mentioned daughter Sarah Cannon.

In 1725 Malbone Simmons appointed by Linhaven vestry as surveyor of tobacco for Knots Island precinct.

In 1733 John Cannon wrote his will, naming wife Amy (exor) and sons Thomas, John, and Edward and daughters Mary, Elizabeth and Amy.
Witnesses were George and Richard Simmons and James Spratt.

In 1764 Amy Simmons has capias on Smyth Sparrow in Princess Anne court on complaint of trespass and enticing her negro Jack into his own service. (Did Smyth Sparrow take Jack to NC?)

In 1775 Amy Simmons on Princess Ann Co tax list for Eastern Branch Precinct: 25 acres and 6 slaves.

George Simmons md Amy Lovett Thorowgood, daughter of John and Isabell Woodhouse Lovett and granddaughter of Lancaster and Mary Carraway Lovett.

Other Simmons marriages:
In 1752 William Simmons married a widow named Sarah in Norfolk Co.
In 1788 Anne Simmons married Joel Morse.
In 1791 Sally Simmons married Randolph Lovitt
In 1791 Henry Simmons married Sarah Murden.
In 1798 Lydia Simmons married Hillary Whitehurst.
In 1800 Anthony Simmons married Betsy Ward.
In 1809 Anne Simmons married William Whitehurst.
In 1811 Amy Simmons married Samuel Veal.
In 1815 William Simmons married Amey Moore.
In 1817 Henry Simmons married Sarah Whitehurst (possibly a Carraway!)

In 1775 James, Thomas, and Mary Simmons on P.A. tax list for Middle Precinct of Eastern Shore.

-----In Craven-----

In 1729 Thomas and Daniel Simmons bought 300 acres on Bear River, patented In 1720 by Cornelius Bell. (This became Beaufort Co.)

In 1750 Eliz Simmons sold to John Carney for #6:8S 115 acres on Adams Creek ss of the Neuse.
witness: Southy Rue

In 1761 Isaac Simmons bought 160 acres on Lower Broad Cr. adjacent to William Bright and Thomas Delamar.

In 1767 Isaac Simmons and Thomas Delamar witnessed the deed of John Carruthers to James Clayton of 100 acres on the north side of Lower Broad Creek.

In 1767 Isaac Simmons' property on s side of head of Lower Broad Creek was adjacent to tract deeded by John Carruthers to James Clayton, which he witnessed.

In 1771 Issac and Eliz Simmons sold to Joseph Carraway 75 acres on the w side of the head of Lower Broad Crk, part of a 150 acre patent to William Johnston of 30 October In 1739
witnesses: Thomas Delamar, Thomas Simmons and James Carraway
Deed book 19, page 36

In 1773 Thomas and Neriah Simmons etal sold Joseph Carraway 100a adj James Clayton and Thomas Delamar's patent line
witnesses: James Clayton, John Carruthers and Thomas Delamar
book 20 page 355
Joseph Carraway had just married James Clayton's stepdaughter, Sarah Edwards.

In 1778 James Clayton, Sr., planter to son Thomas Clayton, wheelright, 1 negro boy, Joe, for love and consideration.
wits Hezekiah McCotter and James Simmons

In 1788 James Carraway md Ann Simmons in Craven.

In 1792 Tho Carraway conveyed to James Carraway for 10 lbs property on north prong of Lower Broad, called Browns Cr. beg at mouth of creek below James' field on upper side of said creek running along the creek to mouth of small gut a little below Squires or Spears Cr. up gut to head running on back line of patent being at the side of a pocosin and running along patent as the swamp runs to Geo Parris' line to Isaac Simmons corner to head of sw br of said creek below James Carraway's field then to br at head of creek to first station, 120 acres.
wit: Joshua Ballance and Solomon Carraway

In 1793 Thomas Carraway for 10 lbs sold his son Thomas, Jr. 120a at fork of Lower Broad beginning at fork and running up Brown Cr. to side of a small gut below James Carraway to head and thence with the west branch of gut then with James Carraways line to Isaac Simmons corner to B.... seems to be land in fork made by Broad and Browns Cr.
wits Joshua Ballance and Solomon Carraway

In 1793 William Clayton blacksmith and Rhoda Ann his wife sold to Nicholas Cary for #80 80a n side of Neuse and n side of Lower Broad Crk being part of patent granted to John Moore and the other part a patent to Wm Clayton beg at south of gut below plantation and running with the gut to Cary's corner and with Cary's line to the road then with the road to a branch to the Simmons line and with Simmons line to the creek and to the beg.
witnesses: James Clayton and Richrd X Cary
signed Wm Clayton and Rhoda X Clayton

In 1793 William Clayton, blacksmith sold James Simmons, planter for 10 lbs good money 25 acres on n side of Neuse n side of Lower Broad Crk beg at Whitakers Gut Bridge and the main road between said James Simmons plantation and running with the branch creek until it strikes ??? Wiley" Crk and then with line to main road and down the road to the beginning.
Witnesses: Jos Good and Richard X Cary

In 1796 Nathan Simmons sold James Carraway property on w side of Trent cr head of Dubley Scott, 48a
witnesses: Thomas W York and Mary York


Sparrow

In 1635 Thomas Sparrow and others were transported by James Knott for 1200 acres in Elizabeth Citty Co. on Nanzemund Riv. (also Thomas Ferreby)

In 1639 Thomas Sparrow was granted 300 acres in Lower Norfolk Co. on western branch of Elizabeth River.

In 1652 Thomas Smith took over John Finch's patent of 480 acres on the westernmost branch of Eliz River adj. Thomas Sparrow.

In 1666 Lt. Col Thomas Browne was granted 1210 acres in Lower Norfolk Co. and 800 acres on western branch of Eliz River adj. Thomas Sparrow.

In 1764Smyth Sparrow in Princess Anne VA: capias to answer Amy Simmons on plea of trespass, who enticed her negro Jack into his own service.

-----In Craven-----

In 1777 Nathaniel Carraway for 5 lbs to William Carraway bought 75a, part of William Brooks' patent for 300a and conveyed to Wm Carraway: tract between Neuse and Bay at head of Trent, beg. at Tho Carraway's corner, in line of patent to Smith Sparrow's corner, along patent line to Howard's line, then along it to Tho Carraway's line to beg.
wits: Gideon Carraway and Asa Bryan

(These two records, naming Smyth/Smith Sparrow, may reflect a connection of Sparrow and Simmons families in Princess Anne and Craven!!)

In 1784 Samuel Sparrow married Sarah Brinson .
bond Abner Neale
witness: Christopher Neale, who was also clerk of court.

The 1790 Craven Co. census shows Daniel and James Brinson adjacent to Samuel Sparrow and close to Hall, Delamar, Carraway, West and Dawson.

In 1797 Henry Carraway md Sally Jennet Sparrow in Craven

1807 will of Joseph Carraway:
wife Sarah (Edwards) 6 negroes, my plantation and plantation where son Henry lives
son Gideon the plantation I bought of Dawson Bryan
dau. Fanny Nelson 5 negroes
son Henry 3 negroes
son Gideon 8 negroes and plantation I bought of Wm Fulcher on Pierces Crk. and plantation where I live at my wife's death.
wits: Tho Sparrow, Jr. and Tho Parson
exors wife and sons Henry and Gideon

1810 Gideon Carraway (b.ca 1785) md Susanna Sparrow, b In 1793 in Mattamuskeet, dau of Paul and Ann Jennett, in Craven Co.


West

In 1638 Robert West was granted 600 acres in Lynhaven, Lower New Norfolk adj John Stratton.

In 1791 Lemuel West married Margaret Woodhouse.

In 1797 John West signed bond for marriage of Isaac Avery and Mary West.

In 1805 Letty West was married to Sampson Whitehurst by Rev. Wm Dawley.

-----In Craven-----

In 1729 Elizabeth West acquired from Charles Hopton 250 acres on the north side of the Neuse beginning at Powells Cr. and running down the river to Island Cr.; below it was George Whitaker and above it was William Carraway.
Witnesses were Thomas Masters, Peter Oxenwall and Robt. A Atkins.

In 1730 William West, cooper (and also Col William Handcock) owned land on the south shore of the Neuse.

In 1730 Elizabeth West is mentioned in a deed conveying 1140 acres from George Whitaker to Peter Oxenwall. One of the tracts bounded the east side of Smith's Cr. The other tract, for 500 acres looks very much like the 500 acres which Eliz West conveyed to James Carraway in 1762. Whitaker also conveyed 40 acres on Island Creek to Oxenwall.

In 1731 John Barger sold to Daniel West, for #30, 100 acres w side of Beard's Cr. up the creek to gut parting it from Jacob Hover, part of 440a patented for Martin Franck who sold to Jacob Hover and John Simons.
wit: John Simons.

In 1742 John West witnessed a deed of John Carraway to John Nelson, Jr. for 800 acres on Powells Cr., named Hickory Point.

In 1746 John West conveyed property to William Carraway.

In 1762 Eliz West of the Neuse, spinster, for 10 lb pd by James Carraway of Craven conveyed 500 acres on the north side of Neuse, recorded to the patent adj land that was formerly Chas Flipton's (Shipton???) beg at Creek.
witnesses: Samuel Martin, Arthur Carraway and Esther Parson


Whitehurst

Richard Whitehurst, (1606) of Trentham, Staffordshire, England, was in Virginia by 1630. He married Ellen and had sons William, Richard, James, Robert, and John and daughters Ellen and Susan, all in Norfolk. James married Sarah Goldsmith and Robert married Ellinor Nicholas. Richard Whitehurst, Sr. died before 1665.

John Whitehurst, the son of Richard and Ellen, (1645-91) married Elizabeth and had 3 children:
John (1675) who married Elizabeth Carraway
Hugh
Elizabeth

There was a Whitehurst family in Craven Co. in close proximity to the Carraways there, but I have not yet found records establishing the relationship between this family and the VA ones.

In 1648 Richard Whitehurst was granted 250 acres in Norfolk Co. on Gaythers Cr. on s branch of Eliza River.

In 1649 Richard Whitehurst was granted 300 acres in lower Norfolk Co. adj John Godfrey.

In 1651 Richard Whitehurst was granted 700 acres in lower Norfolk Co. at the head of Indian Cr.

In 1665 William Whitehurst was granted 1000 acres in lower Norfolk at the head of Indian Cr. 700 were granted to Richard Whitehurst and now due sd William as his son and heir and 300 acres for transport.

The children of John and Anne Kemp Carraway were John, Richard, James, Ann, Elizabeth, William, Thomas, and Dinah although the order of their birth is not known to me:

John 3 (1675-1719); died in VA.

Richard died In 1710 in VA.

James died in 1761 in Princess Anne. (Other authorities say this James went to Craven with brothers Thomas and William.)

Ann and Elizabeth were both said to have a husband named Whitehurst. (Some sources say that Elizabeth Ann was a single daughter) A Whitehurst was an early settler in Craven Co. NC.

John Whitehurst (ca 1675-1720) lived in Norfolk County, VA, md Elizabeth Ann Carraway, daughter of John Carraway and Anne Kemp ca In 1703.

Children of John Whitehurst and Elizabeth Carraway were:
John (ca 1705)
Gideon (ca 1706)
Enoch (ca 1707)
Mary Whitehurst (ca 1708)
Elizabeth Whitehurst (ca 1711) in 1765 md Hillary Moseley, wit. James Carraway
Johnathan (ca 1720)

Captain Jonathan Whitehurst, son of John2 and Eliz. Carraway Whitehurst lived and died in Princess Anne Co. VA. and married Sarah some time before 1755. He had two sons: Aaron and Simon and a daughter Frances, who married Lemuel Williamson.

Simon Whitehurst (1755-1848) was born in Princess Anne Co., married in Beaufort Co. NC in 1794, moved to Craven Co., then Georgia and finally Hamilton Co. FL.
Simon married first in 1782 to Mary Ann Eliz. Scott in NC. She was the daughter of James and Sarah Pegram Scott. Their 11 children were born in NC and migrated with their parents to Georgia and in some cases Florida:
John Sheridan (1788-1878)
Susannah (1786) married Shadreach Sutton.
Daniel Scott (180--1887) married Jincy Fletcher.
Rev. Hillery (1801-1865)
Asa (1793)
Levi (1807)
Lenora (1799) married James Nash.
Newton (1805) was born in Tattnall Co. GA.
Anna (1813) was born in Tattnall and married Israel M Stewart.

Simon Whitehurst married second to Christiana (Mrs. E. Burkhalter) in 1832.


In 1792 David Whitehurst married Anne Williamson in Princess Anne.

In 1799 David Whitehurst was married to Frances Whitehurst by Rev. Anthony Walke. (Another source says Frances married Lemuel Williamson--perhaps two girls named Frances.)

-----In Craven-----

In 1764 William Whitehurst sold to Thomas Roe, Jr. for 25 lb (both of Craven) 150a s side of Neuse, left side of Slocumb's cr beg at John Slocumb's corner, marked by said Whitehurt and Tho Smith patented 29 Mar 1751.
wit James Handcock, James Jones amd James Read

In 1769 William Whitehurt sold to John Flybus of Craven for #20 property on s side of Neuse, e side of Slocumbs
witnesses: Acton Brice amd Bazelle Smith

In 1774 William Whitehurst sold to Thomas Roe (both of Craven) for 12 pds property on the s side of Neuse adj john Flybus, John Bennners Esq beg at pine at Thom Roe's line
wits Basil Smith and Richard Lovett

In 1774 William Whitehurst sold to Charles Thompson of Craven for #16 a tract s side of Neuse, e side of Slocumbs Cr wits Krobt? Welch and Tho Roe


Williamson

At least some of the Williamsons were children of Anne Foster Williamson Carraway, mother of most of the Carraways.

In 1640 John Williamson was transported by John Radford for 200 acres Lower Norfolk Co. on Western br. of Eliz River.

In 1792 David Whitehurst married Anne Williamson in Princess Anne.

Lemuel Williamson married Frances Whitehurst.


- Sources of the Data

Initial material was gathered by the writer from many sources over many years. When it became obvious that a number of Princess Anne families were represented also in Craven, special interest turned to documents containing data at both locations. The most important sources were secondary ones: compendia of voluminous public records. Special recognition and thanks are due to Margaret Hofmann for her superlative lists of NC patents, to Nell Marion Nugent for her monumental work, Cavaliers and Pioneers, to the writers and publishers of the Lower Norfolk County Virginia Antiquary, and to Wynette Haun for her beautiful Craven Co. Deed Abstracts. These works point one to the court records of most interest for the purpose.

Special thanks go also to many Carraway and other cousins who have unfailingly provided generous contributions and support.


Go to Clayton ---Carraway --Related Families

For comments, criticism, corrections, addition, whatever contact:

- Larry Clayton
at 1906 SE 8th St., Ocala FL 34471

If you know any other Southern VA families
who settled in Craven Co.
and want to share the information,
let me know, and I will be happy to include them
here, together with your address if desired. Larry Clayton

Search billions of records on Ancestry.com