1860 Federal Census, 5-WD Chicago, Cook Co., IL, June 20th, 1860, Series: M653 Roll: 166 Page: 84
His first weeks in the Civil War
These companies, with one other, —which subsequently became a part of the Forty-fifth Illinois Infantry—went to Springfield in October by order of Governor Yates, and from there were sent to Camp Douglas, in the southern part of the City of Chicago, under F. J. Hurlbut. These two parts of Regiments (the Fifty-sixth and Fifty-seventh) were consolidated in December, and on the 26th day of the month were mustered into the United States Service as the Fifty-seventh Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, with S. D. Baldwin as Colonel; F. J. Hurlbut, Lieutenant Colonel; N. B. Page, Major; N. E. Hahn, Adjutant; E. Hamilton, Quartermaster; J. R. Zearing, Surgeon, and H. S. Blood, First Assistant Surgeon—the chaplaincy being vacant. February 8, 1862, the Regiment, with about 975 enlisted men, fully officered, armed with old Harper's Ferry muskets altered from flint-locks, and commanded by Col. Baldwin, left Camp Douglas over the Illinois Central Railroad, under orders for Cairo. Ill., where it arrived on the evening of the 9th, thence direct by the steamer Minnehaha, to Fort Henry, on the Tennessee River, which had been evacuated by the enemy and taken possession of by our forces. The Regiment, without disembarking, was hurried back down the river to Paducah, thence up the Cumberland to a point two or three miles below Fort Donelson, where it landed on the morning of the 14th and made its first field march to a position in front of that rebel stronghold, where fighting had already begun. Here it was attached to Colonel John M. Thayer's Third Brigade of General Lew Wallace's Third Division, which occupied the center of the line. The Regiment remained near this position through the night, the men suffered greatly from exposure, having no protection, except their blankets, from the cold, and snow which fell in quantities, to cover the ground. On the morning of the 15th, the Regiment was assigned to the support of Taylor's and Smith's Chicago Batteries of Artillery, which were actively engaged with the enemy. During the day the Fifty-seventh occupied an unenviable position, being subjected to danger from the cannonading in its front and the bullets of the sharpshooters, without the privilege of retaliation, thus placing it under the severest test.
1870 Federal Census, 10-WD Chicago, Cook Co., IL, June 27th, 1870, Series: M593 Roll: 205 Page: 394
From Chicago to Portland
With the help of a house keeper, my father kept his little family together; then in 1877, decided to move to Oregon. On May 14th (Mamie's birthday) we left Chicago by train to Sacramento, then by river steamer to San Francisco; we remained there from Saturday until Monday then boarded the old "Geo. W. Elder" for the ocean trip to Portland, where we arrived June 1, 1877. Stayed about one week at a hotel owned by Woodruff and Quimby, a family hotel called "American Exchange". Then moved to East Portland on "M" street between 5th and 6th streets, which is now East Alder between Grand and Sixth Avenue. Several years later, my father leased one-half block on the southwest corner of what is now E. Morrison and Grand Avenue and built a seven room house; my sister and I were married there. When the lease expired, he bought one-half block on E. 8'th & Belmont, moved the house there, and built two more like it.
— Frances S. Wheeler
1880 Federal Census, East Portland, Multnomah Co., OR, June 9th, 1880, Series: T9 Roll: 1083 Page: 375
Grand Army of the Republic
March 26, 1883 — He was a charter member of the Sumner Post. He was the Post commander for the years 1884 and 1885.
October 8, 1889 — He purchased cemetery lot #23 in section 2 from the Grand Army Cemetery Association for $80.00 (Volume 127, Page 316 of Multnomah County Deeds).
His original Civil War discharge paper and G.A.R. sword are in the possession of his great great grandson Tom Wheeler.
Working in Portland
1880 city directory.J.A.Martin [obit] was not a relative.
"The Oregonian," October 23, 1885
Mr. E. Martin, the stair builder, while running the shaper at his shop in Portland yesterday morning, had the three large fingers of his right hand badly lacerated above the second joint, the knife penetrating the bone of the middle finger.
"The Oregonian," January 1, 1887
E. & J. A. Martin, 32 C Street—They manufacture all kinds of mill and finishing lumber. This firm has been in business seven years, has $8000 invested, has done a business of $25,000 the past year, and employed fourteen men. Their trade is largely a country trade.
"The Oregonian," February 19, 1887
Mr. Edward Martin, Sr., was severely injured the other day while at work in his factory in Portland, by a sawtooth becoming detached and striking him in the face near the eye.
Hines, Rev. Harvey Kimbal, D.D., An Illustrated History of the State of Oregon, Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1893, page 447
Edward Martin, a member of the firm of E. & J. A. Martin, manufacturers of sash, doors and building materials, is a native of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, born in 1831. His parents, Richard and Hester (Barker) Martin, were natives of Virginia and New York respectively: they removed to New York city in 1840 and there young Martin secured his education. At the age of fifteen years he began to learn the trade of stairbuilder which he followed in New York city until 1854, when he removed to Chicago, there he continued this avocation until 1861. In 1861 Mr. Martin enlisted in Company E, Fifty-seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry, Colonel S. D. Baldwin; he was appointed Color Sergeant and the first battle was at Fort Donelson, which was followed by Shiloh, where for bravery and efficiency Mr. Martin was commissioned Second Lieutenant, April 17, 1862. Then came the siege of Corinth, followed by the battle 1863, Corinth, October 3d and 4th, 1862. He was commissioned First Lieutenant, March 13. After that came the battle of Resaca, in 1863, and later, Rome, Georgia. He then joined General Sherman in his triumphal march to the sea, and was at the capture of Savannah. At the expiration of his term of service in 1864 he was mustered out of the army, much to the regret of himself and his Colonel, who wished him to remain and accept the office of Captain. But the family in Chicago, from whom he had been so long separated, urged his return to civil life. He followed his trade in Chicago until 1877, when he came to Portland, Oregon, where he has continued with marked success.
The firm of E. & J. A. Martin was formed in 1879; they did a large business at Third and F streets until 1882, when the entire establishment was swept away by fire; they immediately resumed business at the corner of C and Second streets, and in a small beginning laid the foundation of their later prosperity. Their factory was built in 1890, and being located upon the wharf secures water transportation; the factory is fitted with modern machinery, the whole being operated by a fifty-five horse power engine. Mr. Martin is one of the oldest manufacturers in the city, and the products of this factory are shipped to points in Oregon, Washington and Idaho. The industry gives employment to twenty-five men.
Our subject was married in New York city, in 1854, to Miss Frances Button, who was born in the old Revolutionary barracks at Brunksdale, New York. Mrs. Martin passed from this life in 1871 leaving a bereaved husband and four children: Clara E., Edward Everett; Frances S., wife of Clarence J. Wheeler; and Mary L., wife of Frederick R. Bullock. In 1877 Mr. Martin brought his family of little ones to the Pacific coast, and to them he has devoted the best energies of his life. He resides in East Portland, where he has built a pleasant home at Eighth and O streets. He is a member of the G.A.R., the A.O.U.W., the Loyal Legion of Oregon and the Masonic fraternity. His life has been one of great activity and hard labor, but by perseverance and strict integrity, he has won well-merited success.
Soldiers' Monument Association of Lone Fir Cemetery
In November 1901, a committee was formed to erect a Soldiers' Memorial to commemorate the veterans of four wars. A 50x50 foot parcel for the monument was donated by the Lone Fir Cemetery Association. On February 15, 1902, the Soldiers' Monument Association of Lone Fir Cemetery was incorporated in order to receive the deed for the land. Edward Martin was one of the incorporators and became vice-president of the corporation.
Remarried in 1902
Nancy Odle (1856-1943) was born in Indiana and moved to Portland between 1886 and 1897.
She married (1872) Enoch Dewitt Lape (1847-1920). Divorced.
She married (1885) Sanford Boatman (1842-1912). Divorced.
She married (1902) Edward Martin.
Witnesses were Miss Nellie Boatman (1878-1963) and John S. Lipscomb (1880-1958) who were themselves married April 29, 1903. Nellie is actually a daughter from Nancy's marriage with Enoch Lape.
"The Oregonian," January 17, 1904 -- Captain Edward Martin is confined to his home at 505 Weidler street, with a broken ankle.
"The Oregonian," August 4, 1909, page 10 -- The will of Edward Martin has been admitted to probate in the County Court, Edward E. Martin, a son, and John P. Lipscomb being appointed executors. The estate is valued at $8000. Martin died July 28, aged 78 years. The will provides that the following persons shall receive a fifth each of the property: Mrs. Nancy Martin, widow; Mrs. Clara Carpenter, daughter; Edward E. Martin; Mrs. Mamie S. Bullock, daughter; Mrs. Frances S. Wheeler, daughter. From Mrs. Wheeler's portion is to be subtracted $500 which the deceased had loaned to her. This $500 is to be divided equally among the other heirs.