Search billions of records on

The Gross-Steinberg Family Tree presents:

Canadian Jewish Archives

by James Gross

Canadian Jewish Archives:

 Canadian Jewish Archives Inventory

1. Jewish Immigrant Aid Services Files

2.   Canadian Jewish Heritage Network's Name Search

Date: Fri, 7 Nov 1997 11:59:03 -0500 From: Stanley Diamond Subject: 1897 - 1909 Canadian Jewish Times now online it is available through a search on the Ancestry, website. The Ancestry Inc. address is: Material from the Canadian Jewish Times webpage can also found at Ancestry. Canadian research link: ---- Date: Thu, 1 Jan 1998 20:06:13 -0800 From: Mel Comisarow Subject: Re: Canadian Naturalization documents To receive Canadian naturalizaton documents one must file a TBC350-77(Rev1990/11) "Access to Information" Form. Photocopies of this form are ok in my experience. Send to Information Management Public Rights Administration Citizenship and Immigration Canada 140 Promenade du Portage, Phase IV, 4th floor Ottawa Ontario K1A 1L1 along with a check for $5.00 CAN, payable to "The Receiver General for Canada". You must include something that indicates that the person has been dead for twenty yers. I have used photocopies of gravestone photos, newspaper obituaries as well as output from on-line death index search engines. If dated after 1917, the naturalization file has current name, current and prior residences in Canada, marital status, appearance, fluency in English or French, birth name, birthdate, birthplace, former citizenship, date of arrival in Canada and name of ship, embarkation port, name of wife and children still in Russia, testimonials from Canadian citizens as to the character of the applicant, and a police (RCMP) report on the applicant. Naturalization files prior to 1918 have been destroyed and only summary information from the original file has been retained. A major problem is you must be as Canadian resident to file the "Access to Information" Form. The Fall 1997 issue of Avotaynu mentions the name of a person who, for a fee will file for you. ------------- Date: Thu, 1 Jan 1998 09:57:13 -0800 From: Avrum Lapin Subject: Re: Canadian Naturalization Records "Gregory J. Bradbury" " recently requested information on Canadian Naturalisation Records. The following is taken from a post I wrote last year Snip..... >I finally received the form, which when completed, is to be sent >to the Court of Canadian Citizenship or the Registrar of Canadian >Citizenship with the following: >1) photocopies of at least 2 pieces of documentation to establish >your identity >2) a fee of $100!!!!!!!. >3) a signed release of information from the person whose record >is being requested (what if the person is deceased?) >4) an acceptable reason for the request ...... There is a cheaper method ($5.00) if you are a Canadian Citizen or have a Canadian Address and can establish that the person in question has been deceased for 20 years and that is to use the "Access to Information" Act (the Canadian equivalent of the Freedom of Information Law). Access to Information forms are available from many Public Libraries and government offices in Canada. Separate forms are required for each Federal Government Institution which might hold such forms. In our case my brother (a Canadian) asked the Citizenship and Immigration Department for immigration and citizenship papers for X and we provided our best guess as to year of arrival and prior residences. You must either prove that you are X or that X has been dead for at least 20 years (proof can be in the form of a death certificate, newspaper obituary, or a photo of a tombstone). A check for $5 Cdn made out to the Receiver General of Canada is required for each form. The requester must state that he is "a Canadian Citizen, a permanent resident or another individual present in Canada or a corporation present in Canada" The form and the check should be sent to: Access to Information Officer Citizenship and Immigration Canada 3rd Floor, Journal Towers,North 300 Slater Street Ottawa,Ontario K1A 1L1 (Note: those are ones not eyes) CANADA Figure on about 3 weeks for an initial response and an additional 6 weeks for real information (a copy of our grandmother's application for citizenship and a copy of her late husband's naturalization papers which she used to establish her eligibility). My grandmother's application (1941) includes her date and place of birth and the name of the ship and year of arrival in North America. My grandfather's 1906 citizenship certificate includes a statement that he had been living in Canada for 3 1/2 years (the minimum). His "index card" states his occupation and his former residence (city,country) in Europe and the name of court that handled the naturalization process. Why did my grandmother wait until 1941 - my father thinks that was the year women were given the vote in Canada. Other reasons might have been a need for papers to visit relatives in New York during the war, fear of internment, or that citizens got better ration books. Quoting from the respose "Prior to 1919 naturalization was handled locally by provincial courts and very few details were forwarded to our Department. No applications or documents pertaining to anyone who was naturalized locally prior to 1919 is available. Immigration records prior to January 1, 1919 are under the jurisdiction of National Archives of Canada, 395 Wellington Street, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0N3, Attn: Mrs Ellen Scheinberg (telephone 613-996-7733)". Archives Canada has a web site dealing with Immigration records Archives Canada website Avrum Lapin, Upland, CA

[smile logo][smile logo]

My Surnames

Master surname

Surnames Lithuanian
Surnames Polish Surnames


To contact me please send me an e-mail