Search billions of records on
The banner above has been added by the website host, and does not reflect any promotion by the author of these pages.

Lane-Blood Genealogy
You are here:  Home  >  MN newspaper articles  >  transcription

Newspaper Articles
from Worthington Globe
 October, 1911

Use the EDIT > FIND function on your browser to search this page.
To search the rest of this site, go to the HOME page (link above)
and use the "Search this site" box.

Thursday, October 5, 1911

Miss Ada Fawnberg, of Windom, visited several days the latter part of last week with friends in this city. She left Sunday afternoon for Ida Grove, Iowa, where we are informed that she will soon be wedded to a prominent business man, a Mr. Roy Piltcher, of that city.


Miss Louise Evans, who has been the guest of her aunt, Mrs. R. Prideaux for a few days, left Sunday afternoon for her home in St. Paul, to resume her duties as librarian in the office of the state tax commission.

The members of the Royal Neighbor lodge of this city pleasantly surprised Mrs. J.E. Norris at her home in this city, Tuesday evening, on the eve of her departure for her new home in San Bernito, Texas. A fine time was had by all the ladies present.

Local News Items

O. Carncross returned Tuesday of this week from Lodi, Ill., where he was called to attend the funeral of his uncle.

Mrs. O. Taylor left Tuesday for her home in Adrian,after a few days' visit here with her sister, Mrs. Chas. Deuell.

Mr. and Mrs. Harry Butcher went to Bigelow, Tuesday, for a brief visit at the home of his brother, Earl O. Butcher.

Mrs. M.L. Shade, of Mitchell, S. Dak., arrived Wednesday afternoon to visit at the home of her sister, Mrs. J.B. Morton, who has been sick for the past three weeks.

I.T. Branigan, a former merchant of Worthington and now residing at Rock Rapids, visited for several days here the first of the week, at the home of his daughter, Mrs. E.K. Smith.

Jno. Whalen and family left Tuesday for San Francisco, Cal., which place they will make their future home. The many friends of the family in this vicinity exceedingly regret their departure.

Peter Thompson returned Tuesday morning from New London, Minn., where he attended the funeral of his oldest brother, John P. Thompson, who died at his home there last Friday at the age of 82 years.

Miss Viola E. Giesie, of Princeton, Ill., arrived here last week to be at the bedside of her sister, Mrs. J.B. Morton, who has been seriously ill for the last three weeks with nervous neuralagia and abcess of the throat.

Earl Smith, a former Worthington boy who now resides at Edgemont, S.D., arrived here last Thursday for a visit of several days at the home of his brother, Fred, and with old friends. Mrs. Z.M. Smith also arrived here the first of the week for a visit at the home of her son.

Geo. Rush, of Streator, Ill., is here looking after farm interests in Elk township.

T.H. Canty, an expert potato man, arrived Wednesday to enter the employ of Kelley & Co.

Miss Julia Cheyney departed on Tuesday morning for Orland, Cali., where she will spend the winter with relatives.

Miss Emma Suthers arrived here Monday, from Fulda, and will visit in this city with Mrs. W.N. Shanks and other friends.

Miss Althea Hogan returned Tuesday from Minneapolis and St. Paul, where she visited for a few days at the home of her brother, Arthur, and with other relatives.

Stanley G. Swanberg left Friday afternoon for Moline, Ill., where he has a position with one of the daily papers. He has been visiting his parents here for the past month.

Mr. and Mrs. Peter Hawkinson, daughter, Miss Ella, and son, Edward, left Wednesday morning for Ashland, Wis., where they will visit for a week with relatives and old friends.

Miss Trella Sand, of Genesea, Ill., who has been visiting here for the past several weeks with her aunt, Mrs. J.S. Frink, went to Luverne, Tuesday, for a brief visit with relatives and friends, before returning to her home.

Mr. and Mrs. L.M. Herbert returned Sunday morning from Traer Iowa, Minneapolis and other points where they had been on their honey moon. The many friends of Mrs. Herbert, nee Miss Ames, are glad to welcome her to Worthington as her future home.

Mrs. Mati'da Clark left today for Raymond, Minn., where she will visit for about two months with old friends.

Mrs. E. Cook, of Fulda, arrived here Wednesday for a week's visit at the home of her daughter, Mrs. A. Bedient.

Mrs. J.H. Palmer, of Minneapolis, arrived here Wednesday for a visit of a few days with her sister, Mrs. M. Herbert.

Mrs. Ella Martine, of Sibley, arrived here the first of the week for a few days' visit with the Plotts family in this city.

Miss Edith F. Voss went to Mankato the first of the week where she will take a course at the Mankato Commercial College.

William Evans returned Wednesday from Minneapolis, where he has been for the past two weeks visiting his wife, who is indisposed.

Mr. and Mrs. J.A. Smith returned home last Friday morning from Arribie, Colo., where they visited for a week at the home of their son. They also visited friends in Denver.

Mrs. A.M. DeFreeze and Mrs. D. Simmons returned to their home in Melvin, Ill., Wednesday, after a visit of three weeks here at the home of their niece, Mrs. C. Kinsman.

Mrs. Z.M. Smith and son, Earl, who visited with relatives and old friends here this week, left Wednesday for Waseca, Minn., where they will visit for a time at the home of her daughter.

Miss Bessie Schmidt, who manages the Howard hotel at Sheldon, Ia., was in this city Wednesday and was a pleasant call at this office. Mrs. Schmidt is interested in a gold or copper mine in Nevada.

M.A. Adams, who recently disposed of his farm effects at public auction, left Tuesday for Avoca, Minn., where he will visit for a few days with old acquaintances. He will also visit in the vicinity of Hinckley with a view of locating.

Archie Darling, who has been shining shoes at the Vernon barber shop for some time past, departed Sunday for Los Angeles, Cal., where he has a position in the barber shop there conducted by Meritt Harding, formerly of this city. Bud Kannal, formerly employed at the Anthony shop, has filled the vacancy at the Vernon barber shop and Harry Ferguson at the Anthony shop.

Thursday, October 12, 1911

Francis A. Stevens Dies After a Lingering Illness of Many Months
Was an Early Pioneer Was Veteran and Official of Public Trust.

At three forty p.m. Tuesday afternoon, October 10th, after a lingering illness of several months, occurred the death of Francis A. Stevens, one of Worthington's most respected and influential citizens. The funeral occurred this afternoon from the Methodist church and was attended by his two sons, Henry and Herbert, of Fairfax, Minn., his step-son, John Hoynes, and many prominent citizens and friends of Worthington, who followed to pay their last tributes to a respected citizen and friend.

Francis A. Stevens, of Worthington, at the time of his death was court commissioner for Nobles Co. He has resided in the county for thirty years. He is a native of New Hampshire, born at Charleston, on Sept. 21, 1835, the son of Henry and Dorothy (Gove) Stevens, natives of the same state.

In the schools of his native state Frank Stevens received his education, and when about twelve years old was employed in a cotton mill, which occupation he followed two years. He next worked at the cutler's trade, being employed in a shop for several years. Mr. Stevens came west in 1860, and located at Claremont, Dodge county, Minn. There he purchased a farm and engaged in agricultural pursuits until 1878. In the fall of 1864 he enlisted in the Second light battery, Minnesota Volunteers, and served in the war until the fall of 1865. The battery took part in several important battles of the war, including Mission Ridge, Lookout Mountain and Chickamauga.

After his discharge from the army Mr. Stevens returned to Dodge county and again took up his farming duties. In 1878 he came to Nobles county and settled in Leota township, taking as a homestead the northeast quarter of section 10. He farmed that property until the beginning of the year 1857, when he moved to Worthington, which place has since been his home. He was elected clerk of court in 1886 and served twelve consecutive years, having been re-elected in 1890 and 1894. During his residence on the farm he took an active part in local politics. He assisted in the organization of Leota township, and held several offices under the township government. After his last term of office expired, Mr. Stevens held the office of justice of the peace in Worthington village for a number of years, and during his remaining years has been court commissioner. He was a member of Stoddard Post No. 34, G.A.R.

Mr. Stevens was married at Croydon, N.H., July 4, 1856, to Helen M. Mitchell, a native of that state. She died at Worthington Jan. 31, 1891. Five children were the result of the union, of whom the following three are living: Herbert E., Henry and Mrs. H.C. Fatum. Mr. Stevens was married the second time to Hannah Hoynes, of St. Paul, in 1895. To them was born one child, a son, who died in infancy.

Gathered in and about Worthington During the Past Week


Herbert and Henry Stevens, of Fairfax, Minn., arrived in Worthington Wednesday morning to attend the funeral of their father.

Mrs. J.D. Thomas, of Zion City, Ill., who has been the guest of Mrs. Wolven for the past two weeks left Wednesday afternoon for Triumph, Minn., where she will visit relatives.

J.W. McBride, formerly proprietor of the Worthington livery barn, but who now conducts a restaurant at Mason City, Ia., arrived here Wednesday for a few days' visit with old friends.

Mrs. Elizabeth Fay and daughter, Miss Mable, of Chicago, arrived here the latter part of last week or a visit at the home of Thomas Cunningham, of this city and Mrs. E. Cunningham, of Brewster.


Born -- To Mr. and Mrs. Virgil Fellows, Tuesday morning, October 10th, a son.

Born -- To Mr. and Mrs. P.J. Nystrom, on Sunday, Oct. 8th, a girl.


John P. Thompson
One of the very first settlers at Nest Lake in this county, one of the few remaining fifty-niners, John P. Thompson, died at his home at New London on Thursday evening, at an age of 82 years and 19 days. Thus are the early pioneers of our county laying down their weary staffs and being gathered to their fathers.

The funeral occurred last Saturday afternoon from the Swedish Lutheran Lebanon church at New London, of which the deceased has been a faithful member since its very beginning fifty-two years ago, being one ofhte charter members. Rev. Christian Swenson officiated at the obsequies.

John (Goran) Thompson was born in Jarso parish, Halsingland, Sweden, Sept. 9, 1829. Came with the family to America in 1850, settling first at Pine Lake, Waukesha county, Wisconsin. After a year's residence there he moved to Waupaca, Wis. In 1858 they moved to Blue Earth, Minn, and in 1859 to Monogalia county where they located on a claim and shared all the hardships of those very first pioneers of New London township. In 1862 the family was driven from their homes by the great Indian uprising. They resided in Goodhue county until 1875 when they returned to New London township Mr. Thompson has lived there until his death. During his long residence there he has served his township as supervisor for many terms and School Dist. No. 9 as treasurer. He was respected by all who knew him as an upright and conscientious citizen. Mr. Thompson was married to Miss Ella Olson at Waupaca, Wis., in 1854, and his wife and five children survive him.

The latter are -- Mrs. P.O. Johnson of Colfax, Mrs. John Fremberg of New London, Peter G. and John O., who reside at home, and Mrs. Emil Johnson of New London. He is also mourned by 18 grandchildren and two great grandchildren, the latter being the two children of Mr. and Mrs. Peter Lindahl of Willmar. Four brothers survive him, Peter and Oliver of Worthington, Minn., and Thomas of Lake Eunice, Minn., Andrew Thompson of Rushmore, Minn., and one sister, Mrs. Brita Stoner who resides in the state of Oregon. The Thomas Thompson, who for many years was also a resident of New London, arrived at the bedside of his brother Goran two days before death took him away.

Peace to the ashes of the worthy old pioneer! -- Willmar Tribune.


Mrs. C.M. Smith, who was operated at the Humiston hospital Monday for an internal hemmorrhage, has a fair chance to recover.

Mrs. Oscar Larson went to Sioux City, Saturday, where she was called to the bedside of a relative who was seriously ill.

Dick Olson, who has been assisting his father here for the past three months, left Monday for his home in Akron, Colorado.

Mr. and Mrs. Fred Meyer departed for their home in Dennison, Ia., Monday after a visit of two weeks at the home of their son in Round Lake.

Miss Clara Riss, who has been visiting in this city for the past month at the home of her uncle, J. Riss, left Monday for her home in Luverne.

Mrs. J.A. Murray, who has been visiting in this city for some time past with her brother, J.A. Smith, left Monday for her home in West Duluth.

Mrs. A.J. Dysland, of Duluth, arrived here Monday for a visit of several days with her sister, Miss Ruth Ringsred, who is teaching in our schools.

Mrs. John Fitch returned last Thursday from Freeport, Ill., where she has been for the past six weeks visiting at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Fred North.

J.W. Beeman and mother, Mrs. Elizabeth Beeman, of Conrad, Ia., returned to their home Monday after a visit of about ten days at the home of their friends, Mr. and Mrs. J.N. Crister.

Mrs. M. Bergstrand and children departed Monday for Smollen, Sweden, where they will remain for about a year with relatives and old friends. Mr. Bergstrand recently disposed of his farm machinery, etc., at public sale.

The many friends of Conductor and Mrs. J.M. Wortz will be sorry to learn that the family are leaving the city for Lake Crystal, Minn., from which point Mr. Wortz has secured a run. The household goods were shipped Monday.

J.E. Dryden returned to his home in Red Wing, Minn., after a visit of several days here with his brother, Rube Dryden.

W.R. Carson, who has been employed at Hart's Round Lake store for some time past, has moved his family to Worthington and is at the present time employed at the store here. John Sather has taken Carson's place at Round Lake.

Worthington people will be sorry to learn that William Apel, Sr., is seriously ill this week.

Herman Ehlers journeyed to Mankato, Tuesday, with the intention of accepting a position as chef in one of the cafes of that city.

Mr. and Mrs. Allen, of the Allen House, journeyed to Sioux Falls on Monday afternoon to visit a son who is a resident of that city.

Frank Glasgow, who has been the bridge superintendent for the Omaha for a number of years has been forced to cease operations for a time because of ill health.

Earl Schubert, our former outfielder, and William Netter journeyed to Emmetsburg, Ia., Wednesday with the intention of purchasing and operating one of the restaurants of that city.

Ernest Foelschow has disposed of his eighty acres of land near this city to Pete Swanson, and Dr. C.P. Dolan has purchased the Ward quarter section, adjoining the Dave Herlein property.

Miss LaRina Dow, of Minneapolis, arrived here last week for a visit at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. C.W.W. Dow. Miss Dow recently graduated from Asbury hospital as a nurse and ranked very high in her class.

Mrs. W.H. Jaegers, who has been visiting for several days at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. J.E. Darling, left Tuesday for her home in Le Seuer Centre, Minn. Harris Darling, who has also been visiting for several weeks with his parents, will leave Friday for St. Paul where he is employed as a street car conductor.

Thursday, October 19, 1911


Benjamin B. Thompson, one of the early settlers of this county, passed away Monday morning, Oct. 9, 1911, at 6 o'clock, at his home, of complicated diseases. He was able to work until one year prior to his death, and the last year he worked some, and helped himself up to the last.

Benjamin B. Thompson was born in Bangor, Maine, March 17, 1833. He was married Sept. 1856, to Miss Mary E. Chase. To that union was born C.E. Thompson, of St. Paul, Minn., and F.H. Thompson, of Fulda, Minn. He resided in Maine until 1862, when he moved to Mauston, Wis. There he was married the second time to Miss Chloe Trumble, March 25, 1868. To that union was born the following children: W.A. Thompson, Fulda, Minn., C.L. Thompson, of Rock Elm, Wis., Mrs. Mary L. Otto, of Donnybrook, N. Dak., Mrs. Cora M. Suttman, of Morrison, Iowa, and Mrs. Ella H. Olson, of Jackson, Minn.

He moved to Fulda, Minn., in 1879, at which place he resided until the year 1891, when he moved on a farm where he has since lived.

All the children attended the funeral except Mrs. Mary Otto and Mrs. Cora Suttman. He leaves to mourn his loss his wife, four sons, three daughters and twenty-five grandchildren. The funeral was held at Seward church Oct. 12, at ten o'clock and the remains were laid to rest in the Seward cemetery.

At request of the deceased, Rev. J.A. Saunders, of Heron Lake, conducted the funeral service.


Mr. and Mrs. J.H. Scott and daughter left Saturday last for Modesto, Cal., where they will spend the winter. Their residence in this city has been rented to Mr. Fox, wire chief for the Worthington telephone exchange.

Henry and Herbert Stevens returned to their home at Fairfax, Minn., Saturday, after attending the funeral of their father.


Emma Williams was born March 22, 1838, in Schenectady, N.Y., and died October 9, 1911. She was married to Henry Alvord, May 22, 1857 at Darien, Wisconsin, from which union four children were born, one dying in infancy.

They moved to Blue Earth county, Minnesota, in 1881, in which county they have continued to reside.

Her husband, two daughters, and one son survive her, Carrie E. and Hattie, W., who reside with their father at Eagle Lake, Minnesota, and Ira D., who resides at Osceola, Wisconsin.

Mrs. Alvord was converted in early girlhood and later united with the Methodist Episcopal church, in which she has been a consistent member to the present time.

I know thou hast gone to
the land of thy rest,
Then why should thy soul be sad?
I know thou hast gone
where the weary are blest,
And the mourner looks up and is
glad. --Mankato Free Press.


Frank Brown, a former resident of Worthington, now living in St. Paul, is visiting here today.

Mr. and Mrs. Fred Leistico are the happy parents of a baby girl, which was born on Sunday last.

Miss Etta Olson left for Bigelow today, where she will visit at the home of her brother, Emil, of that village.

Mrs. M. Spellman, sister of Mrs. F.A. Stevens, of Albert Lea, Minn., and brother, J.C. Monaghan, of Minneapolis, attended the funeral of F.A. Stevens. They returned home Saturday.

Local News Items

C.J. and B.M. Ashbough left Monday for Gregory, S.D., where they intend filing for homesteads.

Mrs. Fred Parker, of Sioux Falls, S.D., has been the guest of Mrs. Peter Thompson, her mother, during the week.

Mrs. M. Toomey stopped off between trains while on her way to Mason City, Ia., to visit her cousin, James Montgomery.

Mrs. Frank Coughran entertained twelve lady friends at her home on Thursday afternoon in honor of her aunt, Miss M.O. Dickenson, of Washington.

James DeVaney journeyed to Gregory, S. Dak., to avail himself of the opportunity of securing a homestead.

Michael Slanenka, of Chicago, arrived here the first of the week and has accepted a position of John Prevratil, the tailor.

Elmer Ahlf returned Friday last from LeSueur, his former home, and Minneapolis, where he visited with friends and relatives for a week.

Mrs. Frank Saxon departed for her home at Houston, Texas, Tuesday morning, after a several weeks' visit in this city with relatives and friends.

Miss Luella McCabe, who has been visiting at the home of Mrs. F.J. McCabe during the past few days, returned to her home in Ransom, Ill., on Tuesday.

Mrs. John Prevratil and children arrived here on Wednesday of this week from DesMoines, Ia., and will make this place their future home. Mr. Prevratil recently established a tailor shop in the Synkersen building in this city.

John McCord, of Sioux City, formerly of this city and of Adrian, arrived here last week and has accepted a position at the C.I. Vernon barber shop in the place of F.C. Pierce, who resigned to accept a position in Slayton.

Henry Anderson and James Bird left for Gregory, S.D., to register for homesteads.

J.C. Dwyer and H.H. Halverson left for Gregory, S.D., on Tuesday, where they will register for homesteads.

John Olson and family left for Black River Falls, Wis., where they expect to visit relatives and old friends for several weeks.

Marriage licenses were issued this week to Herman C. Huse and Bertha M. Hill, Howard Schofield and Ethel Lindberg, Frank Spartz and Anna Ringbach, Arthur Phillips Berman and Charlotte Babel Grapes.

As illustrative of the great number of people who are anxious to get farms, one should visit at Gregory or Chamberlain, S.D., at this time. Mr. DeVaney, who has just returned from Gregory where he has filed application, says that on the day on which he arrived over seven hundred filed before 8 o'clock in the morning and that on each incoming train many of the passengers could be seen hurrying through the fences even before the train had come to a stop in front of the station.

Stephen Muck, of Tracy, Minn., was in Worthington on Wednesday looking over land interests in this locality.

L. Swenson left for Atchison, Kan., Wednesday, where he will transact business and visit with old friends.

John Rheimitz, of Bloom township, departed Wednesday, for Chillicothe, Mo., where he will visit for some time.

Leo. Hartman, Nick Broich and Dan Harrington left for Gregory, S.D., Wednesday, where they will register for homesteads.

Chris and August Broich stopped off at Worthington while on their way to Gregory, S.D., where they will file for homesteads.

John Graves, a former resident of this city, arrived here from Watertown, S.D., where he now resides, to visit old friends.

Ernest Grelson accepted a position as clerk in Barber's store during the week.

Thursday, October 26, 1911

Both Well Known Worthington People and Have a Large Circle of Friends

At high noon on Wednesday of this week at the home of the bride's parents occurred the marriage of their daughter, Anna, to Hjalmar Telander. The knot was tied by Rev. J.E. Shipp, of the Swedish Lutheran church and there were about sixty or seventy guests present at the ceremony. The happy young couple were driven by Emil H. Nelson in an automobile to Sibley, Iowa, from which place they took the train to the coast. They will spend three months visiting in the costal cities, principally Los Angeles, after which they will return to Worthington and make this place their future home.


Clarence Miller, formerly of Worthington, died Saturday, October 21st, at Kansas City, having contracted smallpox while enroute to Worthington to visit his sister, Mrs. Glen Mitchell and aunt, Miss Elizabeth MaGee. Mr. Miller, who was married about two years ago and made his home in Los Angeles, lost his wife after only five months of wedded happiness. Since then he has made his home in Los Angeles with his parents, who survive him. The young man was making a tour of the country and expected to stop off in Worthington and visit relatives and friends but it is thought he contracted smallpox in Florida, which made it necessary to stop off at Kansas City for medical assistance.


Joseph Van Varick, a competent tailor from St. Paul, arrived the first of the week and has accepted a position at the Ideal Cleaning Works.


Mrs. J.K. Baker and son, Berry, went to Mason City, Iowa, Wednesday, where they will visit several days with her sister and friends.

Miss Metta Ruhberg, from Storden, Minn., arrived here Wednesday, to accept a position at the Worthington Globe office as stenographer.

Theodore Hinrichs left Wednesday for Middleton, Wis., to attend the funeral of his brother-in-law, who died as a result of an operation for appendicitis at Rochester.

Mrs. F.J. Clark, of Chicago, is visiting in this city, at the home of her sister, Mrs. J.S. Kies.

Mrs. C.E. Cahoon, of Kimball, S.D., is visiting at the home of Rev. G.A. Cahoon, this week.

Miss Francis Casareto came up from Sibley, Iowa, Saturday for a visit with her brother, John Casareto.

Mrs. L.R. Green, of Reedsburg, Wis., has been visiting at the home of her niece, Mrs. James Mott, during the week.

Mrs. E.W. Fisher, of Moline, Ill., arrived here the latter part of last week for a visit at the home of her uncle, J.S. Kies.

W.H. Prideaux, of Dodgeville, Wis., arrived here the first of the week for a visit at the home of his sister, Mrs. J.H. James.

Mrs. E. Deuel left Monday for Mason City, Iowa, for a visit with relatives, some of whom she has not seen for over twenty years.

Mrs. Frank Chermak left for Storden, Friday, where she will meet her cousins, who are on their way from Denmark to Seattle, Wash.

Leo and Frank Madix, who have been in the employ of the Omaha for some time past, left for their home in Loda, Illinois, Saturday.

Chas. Foelschow, a former resident of Worthington, but now residing in Mankato, was the guest of his son, Ernie, during the week.

James Isom, manager of the depot lunch counter, was operated on Tuesday of this week for a cancer of the lip. His condition is not serious.

Mrs. Ed Rathlisberger returned to her home at Iona, Monday afternoon, after spending a few days in the city, the guests of relatives and friends.

Mrs. Mary O. Dickenson, who has been the guest of Mrs. F.R. Coughran the past week, returned to her home in Washington, D.C., on Friday.

Mr. and Mrs. Bolks, who have been visiting at the home of G.R. Lawrence the past few days, departed for their home in Spokane, Washington, on Friday.

Mrs. R.F. Stevens, who has been the guest of her brother, B.F. Young, during the past few days, returned to Sioux City on Saturday of last week, where she will remain for some time.

P.O. Lein and P.M. Richardson, the gentlemen who are installing a variety stock in this city, are making arrangements to open in the building now recently vacated by the Grand picture show, and expect to be open for business about the first of November. The new store will be called The Live Wire Variety.

Miss Florence Jenks left Tuesday for Windom, after a visit of two weeks in this city with her brother, I.C. Jenks.

Miss Carrie Bisch left for Brewster on Saturday, where she will visit her sister, Mrs. John Kraft, of that village.

Miss Olive Johnson returned to this city Tuesday from Brewster, where she visited for several days with her parents.

Mrs. F.W. Frost and Mrs. J.C. Thomas were in Worthington, Wednesday of this week, visiting with relatives and friends.

Miss Voss, who resides near Brewster, is employed at Hart's cash store, she having commenced work the first of the week.

E.H. McCracken, of Goldleaf, Ia., was in Worthington the first of the week visiting with M.E. Lawton. Mr. McCracken is a jeweler in Goldleaf.

Mrs. Frank Knapp, who has been visiting with her sister, Mrs. Fred Harrman [Harriman??], departed for St. Paul on Saturday, where she will make her future home.

I.H. England, of Creston, Iowa, was in Worthington the first of the week looking after his land interests. Mr. England formerly lived in Worthington.

Mrs. Geo. Smith, who has been visiting for the past three months with relatives and friends in Milwaukee, arrived here Tuesday, enroute home to Wilmont.

A team of oxen driven from Altena, Mich., passed thru this place Monday, enroute to Gregory, S.D., where a land lottery is being conducted by the United States government. The owner of the oxen was accompanied by his wife and nine children.


A delightful surprise party was given Friday evening, Oct. 20, at the home of Mr. and Mrs. A.J. Lemke when their daughter, Miss Inez Lemke, entertained in honor of her cousin, Miss Leona Francis, of Memphis, Tenn., who is visiting at the Lemke home, and Mr. Arthur Lemke, who celebrated his fifteenth birthday, Thursday.

It was a complete surprise to both parties. Games were enjoyed until a late hour when supper was served.

Among the guests were the Misses Emma, and Louise Herman, Gertrude Riss, Alpha Ekdhal [Ekdahl?], Edna Terry, Dagmar and Mary Anderson, Lizzie and Mary Miller, Alma Dealand, Ina, Luella, Malvina and Eva Lemke, Mr. Henry Riss, Hero and August Miller, Hans Anderson, Wilmer Terry, Reinhold Willie and Adolph Herman, Willie Sands, Albert and Irvin Lemke, Mr. and Mrs. A.J. Lemke, Mrs. G.W. Dealand and Mrs. W.G. Francis.

A most delightful time was reported by all present.


----End Transcription----

Microfilm, Worthington Globe; Minnesota Historical Society, St. Paul, MN; obtained May, 2009.

If you would like more information,
please contact Terri Mindock

The banner below has been added by the website host, and does not reflect any promotion by the author of these pages.