Search billions of records on

Lane-Blood Genealogy
You are here:  Home  >  MN newspaper articles  >  transcription

Newspaper Articles
from Worthington Advance
 May, 1909

Use the EDIT > FIND function on your browser to search this page.
To search the rest of this site, go to the HOME page (link above)
and use the "Search this site" box.

Friday, May 7, 1909

Wolf Bounty

The state of Minnesota paid out in Nobles county last week the sum of $63.00 in the shape of bounties on wolves. This sum was equally divided between Thos. Ervin, of Lismore township and William Glovka, of Leota, each of whom killed a grown wolf and eight cubs. The state bounty is $7.50 for grown wolves and $3.00 for cubs.


Miss Elva Chrysler, assisted by Mr. Jesse Ewer, baritone, of Sioux City, will give a concert at the Methodist church on Friday evening, May 14th. Admission 25 cents; no reserved seats. Watch these columns for further announcements.


s.S. smith made a business trip to St. Paul Tuesday night.

George W. Wilson was in Jackson yesterday on legal business.

Dr. F.R. Weiser, of Windom, was the guest Wednesday of Dr. F.M. Manson.

Big auction at Martin's store Friday and Saturday. Col. J.N. Holbrook, auctioneer.

The choir of the M.E. church will give a special musical program next Sunday evening.

Mr. and Mrs. I.L. Noggle, of Sioux Falls, visited last week with Mr. and Mrs. E.J. Helmick.

The W.C.T.U. will meet with Miss Gutzler on Friday, May 14th, at three o'clock. All ladies are cordially invited.

Miss Alice Anson, nurse in the City hospital, went to Luverne Wednesday, where she will spend a short vacation with relatives.

R.L. Morland returned home Saturday from Minneapolis, where he was in attendance at the meeting of the State Board of Pharmacy.

Mrs. G.A. Cahoon went to Madelia Thursday afternoon to attend a district meeting of the Woman's Foreign Missionary Society.

The Degree of Honor will hold a ten cent tea at the home of Mrs. Norris, in the Burlington addition, on Wednesday, May 12th, from 3 to 5 p.m.

Neal Leverich was in the city for a short time Wednesday on his return home to Mitchel after a visit with relatives and friends at Albert Lea and Mankato.

Rev. Rasmussen, state evangelist, who is conducting a series of meetings at the Baptist church, will address the men's meeting Sunday afternoon at three o'clock.

M.L. Holbrook left Wednesday morning for points in South Dakota, where he goes to look up the land prospects, with the idea of filing on a claim if he can find something to suit his fancy.

Mrs. Henry Green, of Round Lake, who has been a patient at the City hospital, has recovered sufficiently to be removed to the home of friends in the city where she will visit for a time before returning home.

A wedding was solemnized yesterday morning in the office of the Probate Judge, the contracting parties being Thos. Dogel and Flossie Kimble, of Osceola county, Iowa. Judge C.M. Cory tied the knot that united the happy couple.

A new band leader arrived in Worthington on Wednesday of last week and took up his residence at the home of Prof. and Mrs. Wilson Abbott. although the new arrival is at present too young to conduct an organization like the Worthington Concert Band, no doubt in time he will rival his father. At present his musical labor is confined to vocal efforts.

Mrs. S.V. Freeman, accompanied by her sister, Mrs. Benham, of Maiden Rock, Wis., are guests this week at the home of Dr. and Mrs. H. Weidow. After a short visit with their Worthington friends they will go on to Round Lake, the former residence of Mrs. Freeman.

L.F. Slaker, division superintendent of the Omaha railroad arrived in this city Wednesday afternoon for a conference with local railway officials on business matters. Assistant superintendent J.J. O'Neil was also in the city Wednesday, but left before the arrival of Mr. Slaker.

Hon. E.H. Canfield, of Luverne, was in the city between trains Monday enroute to Mankato, where he delivered an address at the banquet of the Republican club Monday night. He returned Tuesday afternoon and remained until Wednesday evening, as the guest of his son, A.L. Canfield, and family.

John Nystrom was discharged from the City hospital this week, having regained his health to a great extent. He is at present at the home of his son, Andrew, where he will remain for a few days before returning to his home in the country. The announcement of his restoration to health will be grateful news to his many friends.

H.A. Gould, who is employed at the City bakery at Sibley, on Wednesday shipped his household goods to that place, his family going down on the afternoon train. Mr. Gould remained over until Thursday to attend to some business matters. He reports that the bakery at that place has again changed hands and that it is the intention of the new proprietor to make it a model baking institution. In selecting his baker he could not have secured a better man to assist him in building up a first-class trade than "Hal," who is one of the most competent workmen in that line in this section of the country.

Ed Bumgerd, of Brewster, arrived in the city Saturday afternoon, carrying a superabundance of boaze [booze?], and had not been here a great while before he became conspicuous by his drunken actions and finally ended up the performance by making a disgraceful scene on Main street. He was tenderly gathered in by the minions of the law, and when Justice C.W.W. Dow listened to his plea of guilty of drunkeness, he assessed a fine of $5 and costs which the Brewster party settled and secured his release from custody. Bumgerd was fortunate, as a much more serious charge than plain drunkeness could have been preferred, had the officials so desired, and he can congratulate himself on escaping the penalty of his folly so lightly.

Local Intelligence

Milt Black spent Saturday with Minneapolis friends.

Dr. B.O. Mork was a professional visitor to Sibley Monday.

George Eggleston is again employed at the electric light plant.

P.D. Peterson was a business visitor from Westbrook Friday.

George Huber, of Wilmont, was a business caller in this city Monday.

F.E. Murphy came down from Wilmont Monday on a business mission.

Dr. J.N. Gould was called to Dundee Monday on professional business.

Al Wells, of Brewster, was transacting business in Worthington Monday.

Will Thielvoldt, of Round Lake, was calling on Worthington friends Monday.

The infant child of Mr. and Mrs. Harvey butcher died Monday morning.

Miss Alida Bedford of Rushmore was calling on friends in this city Monday.

John Farragher, of Adrian, was transacting business in this city Monday.

Gottlieb Schaeffer, of Tripp, S.D., was in the city looking after business.

Miss Edith Clark was the guest over Sunday of her sister at Heron Lake.

Miss Mary Nelson, of Jackson, is visiting her brother, Nels N. Nelson, this week.

M.J. Kramer, of Ashton, Iowa, was the guest of Worthington friends last Sunday.

John McManus, of Sibley spent Saturday with his sister, Mrs. Mark Marden.

Senator S.B. Bedford, of Rushmore, was calling on Worthington friends Tuesday.

J.H. Harper, court stenographer, was in the city Monday, the guest of F.L. Humiston.

Mr. and Mrs. Clarance Williamson returned home Monday from a wedding visit to Iowa points.

Ira Morgan, of Sidney, Iowa, was the guest the first of the week of E.M. Lawton and family.

Mrs. A.H. Clark went to Heron Lake Friday for a few days' visit with her daughter.

J.W. Beckett, of Sibley, was in the city Tuesday, on business and shaking hands with old friends.

G.R. Henderson, editor of the Brewster Tribune, was a business visitor to the county seat Monday.

Father Holper, of St. Kilian, was in Worthington Monday on business pertaining to the probate court.

Ed Moberg, John A. Saxon and son, Eddie, and Miss Esther Johnson left Tuesday for Turtle Lake, Wis.

Mrs. Reuben Dryden left Tuesday afternoon for a short visit with her husband's parents at Windom.

Mesdames A.B. Williams, M.J. Lorge and C.W. Mead, of Wilmont, were Worthington callers Friday.

Fred Hildrith, of Williston, N.D., was in the city the last of last week looking after business interests.

Reuben Oakes, of Rushmore, spent Sunday in Worthington, the guest of his sister, Mrs. Dr. J.N. Gould.

Jerome Yates and daughter, Miss Margaret, left Monday for Sleepy Eye, where they will reside in the future.

Frank Stevens, of Sibley, sheriff of Osceola county, was in Worthington Saturday on official business.

C.M. Crandall went over to Luverne Monday evening to attend the meeting of the Knight Templar commandary.

L.F. Kelley returned home Friday from a two weeks' business trip to New York and other eastern points.

Ancel Thompson, of Indian Lake, returned home Tuesday from Mankato, where he has been attending commercial college.

M.M. Knapp, traveling freight agent of the C.R.I & P., was in the city Monday on business connected with his department.

Mrs. Z.M. Smith left Monday afternoon for Edgemont, S.D., where she goes to join her husband and take up her residence on their claim.

Mrs. Frank Cram and daughters, Misses Althea and Vashti, were guests of relatives in Worthington Saturday.

Mrs. E.H. Brandt, who has been visiting with Worthington friends for the past week, returned Tuesday to the soldiers' home at Minnehaha Falls.

Gust Oberg, of Minneapolis, has accepted a position as night man at Nelson's restaurant. Mr. Oberg comes highly recommended as a short order cook and Mr. Nelson is fortunate to secure his services.

Miss Alida Loveless, of Minneapolis, came down Sunday morning for a visit with her parents in this city.

Mrs. George Doeden, of St. Paul, was the guest last week of George Doeden, Sr., and family, returning home Saturday morning.

O.J. Dysthe, of Chandler, was in the city on business Saturday and incidentally called on his daughters, who are attending school here.

Archie Moberly, who has been in Oklahoma for several months, returned to Worthington Saturday and will probably remain here for the summer.

Miss Hulda Thielvoldt, accompanied by her friend, Miss Nellie Tessien, of Jackson, was in the city Monday between trains on her way home from a visit with Round Lake relatives.

Lake Park has passed an ordinance to issue bonds for the sum of $6,500 to procure money to construct a system of water works in the city, in accordance with an election held last September.

Mr. and Mrs. M.J. Barber and son, Mahlon, left Monday for a visit with Sioux Falls relatives. Mr. Barber will then go on to Madison, S.D., where he will look up the land recently acquired in a trade with M. Pine.

George Marsh, of Sheldon, was in the city, Saturday morning on his return home from a visit to his mother at Reading. Mrs. Marsh has been quite ill most of the winter and her condition does not seem to improve rapidly.

Miss Mary Fitch left Saturday morning for Sioux City, where she will visit for a few days, after which she will continue her journey to Edgemont, S.D., where she will take up her residence on the claim recently filed on by her.

Ed Murray wishes to announce that he will hereafter contract painting and paper hanging. After ten years of residence in Worthington his work is too well known to need comment and he solicits a share of your business upon his merits as a workman.

A.N. Carpenter, of Minneapolis, has removed his family to Worthington and will make this city his home in the future, having rented the Torrance property on Tenth street. Mr. Carpenter is a traveling salesman, employed by Tackeberry & Co., wholesale grocers.

The boiler which is a part of the heating apparatus of the Rushmore school building, was out of commission Monday, giving the teachers and scholars an enforced vacation. Miss Emma Knudson, primary teacher, availed herself of the opportunity to pay a visit to Worthington.

Rev. A. Heathcote and family left last Friday for Winona, Minn., where they will make their future home. Brother Heathcote has been pastor of the Presbyterian church at this place, but owing to ill health, resigned his position. We regret very much to loose this estimable family from our midst. --Brewster Tribune.

Sheriff Black, of Luverne, was in the city Monday, having in custody a boy by the name of Rich, whom he was taking to St. Cloud. The lad forged the name of his employer to an order for clothing, etc., and decamped after securing the goods, but was apprehended, and pleaded guilty on arraignment and received a reformatory sentence.

Messrs. Will and John Ronan and wives, of this city, and Maurice Ronan of Reading, went to Hawarden, Iowa, Saturday for an over-Sunday visit with the parents of the Messrs. Ronan. The visit partook of the nature of a golden wedding surprise on the aged couple, Sunday being the fiftieth anniversary of their wedding.

The Masgai building has been completed, and Mr. Masgai has opened his pool and billiard parlor, starting last Monday. He has christened the place the Bon Ton, which is a very appropriate cognomen, as the parlor is well equipped with the very best of furnishings and three brand new pool tables and one billiard table. He has also put in a nice line of cigars and  tobacco and will later add a line of soft drinks.

AT a meeting of the council Monday evening, Amos Todd, of Worthington, was appointed Marshal and Street Commissioner for the ensuing year. At the same meeting it was voted to put in new cement walks in the following places: Between the M.E. church and M.O. Pages', 250 feet; Across the street, east of Timm & Claussen's grocery store, 130 feet; West of Will Jennings' lots, 150 feet, and 50 feet between the lots of Mrs. Nobles and Frank Loose. The contract was let to Knute Low. --Beaver Creek Banner.

Worthington will probably loose one of its mercantile establishments on or before the first of June, as M.J. Martin contemplates removing to Ellsworth, if the building to be occupied by him at that place can be made ready by that time. Mr. Martin, in conversation with the reporter stated that he was not indefinitely settled as to his plans and that he might decide to operate two stores, retaining the one here and opening up a new one at Ellsworth. Ellsworth people will find Mr. Martin an honest, upright merchant and cannot do better than to extend to him a portion of the patronage.

A peculiar phenomenon was witnessed Saturday afternoon about three o'clock, at which time two distinct circles were visible in the sky. One of the circles was white having the appearance of a thin cloud, and extended in an easterly direction from the sun, but not encircling that orb, and almost bisecting it, a second circle variegated in color and having the appearance of a rainbow encircled the sun. Local astronomical students were unable to explain the cause of the strange phenomenon and the various guesses hazarded embraced everything from a surcease from the arctic weather then prevailing, to the end of the world.

Word was received in Worthington the latter part of last week announcing the marriage at Vale, Ore., of Jess Hamstreet, brother of ye editor, and Miss Zoe Addington. The announcement will not come in the nature of a surprise, inasmuch as the announcement was expected some time ago. The young couple left Worthington on the 21st, and arrived in Vale, on the 24th, and were married almost immediately upon arrival. The young couple have many friends in Worthington and Nobles county, who will all join in extending heartiest congratulations, and wish them a safe and happy journey o'er the troubled sea of matrimony.

Major M.G. Dillenback was in the city Tuesday afternoon between trains on his way from Adrian to Windom, where he has been coaching an amatuer production of "The Girl I Left Behind Me." He reports a crowded house at Windom, and stated that on one night of this week the amatuer players would present the piece at Heron Lake. The Major has purchased a large tent and will take out a small professional company this summer. The tent is now at Adrian, where the necessary repairs will be made, and after the scenery is painted the company will go in tour. He informed the Advance-Herald that he will be booked practically solid for four months under a lyceum bureau. Here's hoping he will return to us at the close of the season with a large bank roll and a pleasant season.

Death of B.C. Baker

B.C. Baker passed away at his home in this city Saturday afternoon at two o'clock, after a lingering illness from dropsy and complications arising therefrom, aged 72 years, 4 months and 6 days.

Mr. Baker was born in Montgomery county, Illinois, Christmas day, 1836, and served during the war of the rebellion as sergeant in the 3rd Illinois cavalry under Capt. McLean, and had the distinction of having been with Sherman on his historic march to the sea. He was twice wounded during his military career. He was also a member of the Masonic fraternity, being connected with the order at Clarion, Iowa, where he formerly resided.

He leaves to mourn his loss one brother, three sons and four daughters. The sons, J.K., J.W. and C.A., all reside in Worthington. The daughters are Mrs. H.F. Clute of Iowa Falls, Iowa; Mrs. J.B. Snyder of Clarion, Iowa; Mrs. A.D. Edwards of Antonio, Texas, and Mrs. C.B. Johnson, of Des Moines, Iowa.

The remains were shipped to Iowa Falls, Iowa, Sunday morning, and interment was held Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock from the home of Mrs. H.F. Clute. J.W. Baker, who accompanied the remains to Iowa Falls, returned Wednesday.



Miss Beulah Beatrice, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A.F. Dring, and Clarence J. Williamson, both of Worthington, Minn., were married at the home of the bride's parents April 28, 1909, at 1:30 p.m. Rev. Streibick, of Rock Rapids, officiating. The bride is one of Nobles county's successful teachers and the groom, who is one of the prominent farmers of this section, was also a former teacher in this vicinity.

Despite the inclement weather, many of the relatives and friends were present, numbering about forty-five. Those in attendance from a distance were Mrs. U.A. Lackey, of Sioux Falls, Miss E. Percival, of Spirit Lake, Dr. E.E. Christle, of Lakefield, and Mr. Robt. Bethel, of Clarion, Iowa. Many valuable and useful presents were received.

The bride was attired in white and carried white roses. The groom wore conventional black. The wedding march was played by Mrs. F. Knapp.

Immediately following the ceremony, a dainty luncheon was served, to which the company did justice. Mr. and Mrs. Williamson departed on the 4 o'clock train for various points in Iowa, the bride wearing a traveling suit of receda green.

They were accompanied by numerous friends, who showered an abundance of rice upon them as a token of their good wishes. They will be at home to their friends at Worthington after May 15th.

Popular Couple to Wed

AN announcement that will probably cause a surprise in Worthington society circles appeared in the Minneapolis Journal of Sunday May 2, as follows:

"William H. Carleton announces the engagement of his daughter, Clara Jeannette, to Thomas Henry Bloxham, of Worthington. The wedding will take place in Minneapolis early in June."

The prospective groom is well and favorably known in this city, having come to Worthington a few months ago from Sheldon, and accepted a position with G.W. Patterson, and during his stay has made many friends by his gentlemanly bearing.

Miss Carleton is also quite well known, especially in musical circles, having been engaged in the teaching of music in this city for the past ten months, and is the popular leader and director of the Congregational choir, of which Mr. Bloxham is also a member.

A Successful Singer from the Garst Studio

Recently Miss Elva Chrysler, a very successful teacher and singer from western Iowa, gave an informal studio program in evidence of the splendid results obtained through her winter's work with Mr. and Mrs. Garst. Miss Chrysler has a voice of fine range and sympathic quality, combined with a really artistic temperament. Her singing of a varied program was given with excellent delivery and good style. She has returned to her large class and choir position. --From Musical Leader, Chicago.

Friday, May 14, 1909

Robert Firth, Pioneer, Passes Away at Home of Son, in Mill City

Robert Firth, an aged resident and prominent citizen of Lorain township, died at the home of his son in Minneapolis Saturday from a complication of diseases.

Deceased was born in Leeds, England, June 21, 1828, and remained in the town of his birth until he was 20 years of age, when he came to America and located at Ithica [Ithaca?], N.Y., where he resided until shortly before the breaking out of the Rebellion, when he removed to Whitewater, Wis. At the breaking out of the war, he enlisted in the 28th Wisconsin Infantry and served for three years; returning to Whitewater after the close of his enlistment he engaged in mercantile life, opening up a shoe store.

He came to Worthington on September 30, 1871 with his family and homesteaded the northwest quarter of section 6, in Lorain township, and has resided upon the same up until a few weeks previous to his death.

He leaves five children, four boys and one girl, his wife and one son having preceded  the grave.

The remains were shipped to Worthington arriving during the night, Monday, the funeral being held Tuesday afternoon from the Episcopal church, attended by the G.A.R. Post and ladies of the W.R.C., and a number of sorrowing friends and relatives.

Local Intelligence

H.A. Nelson was a business visitor from Rushmore Tuesday.

A full line of Herrick refrigerators at Humiston & Wolven's.

E.W. Langer made a business trip to Kilkenny, Minn., Tuesday.

Miss Anna Burch left Wednesday for a visit with Luverne friends.

Miss Freda Blumgren is spending the week with Sioux City friends.

Daniel Shell was transacting business in Omaha the first of the week.

F.H. Richmond, of Estherville, was a business visitor to Worthington Tuesday.

Mrs. J. Casereto spent Tuesday and Wednesday with Mrs. A. Tossina, at Sibley.

G.H. Bunker, of Wilmont, was in the city Tuesday looking after business matters.

Dr. Frank Hough, of Sibley, was a professional visitor to Worthington Tuesday.

Mrs. Geo. Thompson, of Rushmore, spent Monday in Worthington the guest of friends.

Paul Hendricks, who has been confined in the state training school, returned home Tuesday.

Rev. G.G. Schmid, wife and little son, returned Wednesday from a visit with St. Paul relatives.

Misses Marion and Margaret Dieckhoff departed Wednesday morning for Minneapolis, their future home.

Major B.F. Thurber came down from Wilmont Tuesday for a short stay and to attend to business matters.

Ole Swanson is adding much to the appearance of his residence property by the addition of a second story.

Remember the Midsummer Millinery Opening at Hawley and Suddaby's on May 21 and 22. All ladies invited.

The Misses Pearl and Mae Tupper of Spokane, Wash., are visiting with Worthington relatives and friends.

FOR SALE -- Cabbage and tomato plants at E.W. Goff's. 'Phone 141-J3, or leave orders at Goff & Dean's.

Mr. and Mrs. Frank Arens and Mr. and Mrs. C.P. Beh, of Lake Park, were guests Tuesday of I.F. Kelley and wife.

Louis Larson and two daughters left Saturday for a short visit with relatives at Nye, Wis., returning the first part of the week.

Editor and Mrs. Mattison, of Rushmore, were guests of Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Hamstreet Tuesday afternoon and evening.

Mrs. A.R. Schmidt, of Dundee, spent a few days this week with her mother, Mrs. Lestico, and sister, Mrs. Vanda Duba.

J.W. Gray, of Sauk Center, Minn., spent a few days this week with his son, L.H. Gray, returning home Tuesday afternoon.

Rev. G.A. Cahoon will preach the anniversary sermon to the K. of P. members next Sunday morning at the Methodist church.

Mrs. Philip Anton went to Worthington Wednesday, after a two months' visit with her daughter, Mrs. Otto Schmuser. --Lake Park News.

Rev. Cahoon, of this city, and Rev. Babcock, of Rushmore, attended the district meeting of the Methodist church, which is held at St. James this week.

Messrs. Dave Littlechild, of Sibley, and E. Brown, of Bigelow, were in the city Wednesday on legal matters pertaining to the case of the state vs. Parker, for unlawful fishing.

The pile driver of the Omaha started to work Monday. The bridge crew will begin work shortly, being compelled to wait until the preliminary work of the pile driver crew is completed.

Homer Reed, of Lincoln, Neb., stopped off in Worthington Tuesday on his way home from a business visit to points in northern Minnesota, for a few days' visit with Col. J.N. Holbrook.

S. Allen, of Minneapolis, representing the German American Insurance company, was in the city Wednesday on business connected with his company, and was calling on Lee Shell, the local agent.

Mrs. Ida Milton left Tuesday afternoon for a brief visit with her sister, Mrs. Otis Bigelow, of St. James. She will also attend the district meeting of the Methodist church which is in session there this week.

Revs. Schwimley, of Sibley, Glover, of Ocheydan, and Steele, of Little Rock, pastors of the Congregational churches in their respective towns, were inspecting Worthington church edifices Tuesday.

A small wreck occurred on the Omaha near Sibley Wednesday evening, shortly after seven o'clock. A broken truck derailed one car of a freight train. The wrecking crew was sent out and soon had the track cleared.

Mrs. Herbert, wife of Luverne's harness maker, visited Monday and Tuesday with her brother, R.B. Schultz, on her return journey from an extended visit with relatives at Bird Island and Sleepy eye.

A special meeting of the Bath House Association will be held at the Firemen's hall this evening at eight o'clock for the purpose of disposing of the new private bath rooms. Other business is also to come up for consideration.

A track meet will be held at the fair grounds tomorrow afternoon. Worthington and Mountain Lake will compete for honors. Mountain Lake is reported to have a strong team and some exciting contests are anticipated.

Mrs. E.L. McIntosh, librarian of the Carnegie Library, and Miss Jennie Beckley, school librarian, went to Luverne Monday evening to the meeting of the "Librarians' Round Table." State Secretary, Miss Clara Baldwin, of St. Paul, was also in attendance.

Mrs. J. Suddaby left Tuesday for Minneapolis, where she went to attend a meeting of the Eastern Star. She will also combine business with pleasure and will visit the various millinery houses in the twin cities and purchase a selection of goods for Hawley & Suddaby.

The Armour packing plant, which the city of St. Paul fought so strenuously will add a $20,000,000 industry to the state, as the new plant is estimated to cost not less than that amount. Dispatches to the city papers announce the return of J. Ogden Armour from Europe.

We wish to announce to the ladies of Worthington and vicinity that we will hold a Midsummer Opening at our Millinery Parlors, on Friday and Saturday, May 21st and 22d, which time we will have on display four dozen trimmed hats. All ladies are cordially invited to inspect this display. Hawley & Suddaby.

The Nobles County Ministerial meeting was held in this city Monday afternoon at the Presbyterian church, instead of at the residence of the pastor, Rev. W.M. Jennings, as scheduled in the program. An interesting meeting was held, and several papers of merit were read. The next meeting will be held on May 24th at the residence of Rev. G.G. Schmid.

It is reported that the family of G.H. Premo in Little Rock township is under quarantine for small pox. Several members of the family are sick with the malady, but none very seriously. Strict quarantine regulations have been established and there is no danger of the spread of the disease. --Rushmore Enterprise.

The regular meeting of the Sunshine Club was held on Thursday May 6th, at which time Mrs. J.C. Williamson was the hostess, and all report a most enjoyable time. This being the end of the first year of the club, new officers were elected as follows: President, Mrs. G.W. Sprouse; vice-present [president], Mrs. F.W. Knapp; secretary, Miss Lulu Hansberger; treasurer, Mrs. Beulah Williamson; fining committee, Mrs. A.F. Carroll, Misses Nellie Veeder and Lizzie Jones. (The fining committee is supposed to assess fines when a hostess serves more than four different dishes.) A charity committee composed of Mesdames Will Hansberger, J.C. Williamson and F.G. Knapp, was also appointed. As usual an excellent luncheon was served to which all did ample justice. The next meeting will be on Thursday, June 3th (sic), when Mrs. Anna Cordes will entertain the club, and wishes every members to be in attendance.

Piano Recital

Mrs. G.A. Lincoln held a piano recital at her residence, on Wednesday evening, May 6th, in which thirty-six of her pupils, ranging in age from six years up participated.

All acquitted themselves with credit to themselves an[d] their instructor, especially the tots of six and seven years.

A number of difficult classical numbers were ably rendered by some of the more advanced students. The rendition of the selection from "Poet and Peasant," by Misses Marion and Margaret Dieckhoff, elicited hearty applause and commendation, as did also the "Hunting Song," as played by Miss Anna Rust, and Mendelssohn's "Spring Song," rendered by Miss Addie Schuck.

H.J. Miller Dead

Herbert J. Miller, owner and editor of the Luverne Herald, died Saturday at his home in that city, after an extended illness from locomotor ataxia. "Bert," as he was familiarly known to his friends and to the newspaper fraternity for years, has conducted one of the best weekly papers in southwestern Minnesota, and had the reputation of writing some of the ablest as well as the most trenchant editorials that appeared in the rural press of this section. He had a peculiar gift for the ferreting out of news and of putting the facts before his readers in readable shape. By his death the newspaper fraternity of Minnesota loses an able newspaper man, and the city of Luverne one of its foremost citizens.

Memorial Day Services

The memorial services of the G.A.R. Post will be held on Sunday morning, May 30th at the Methodist church. The Decoration day services will also be held at the Methodist church on Monday, May 31st, but arrangements have not entirely been completed for the observation of the day. The program will be announced in these columns as soon as formulated.

Rev. Schmid is Returned

The Minnesota Conference of the Evangelical association, which was held in session at Hutchinson, Minn., last week closed Sunday night. Rev. G.G. Schmid, present pastor of the German Evangelical church was reappointed to Worthington. His many friends, both inside and out of his congregation will be pleased to learn that he is not to be changed.

Property is Sold

At the meeting of the Worthington Real Estate Company, held Monday afternoon to open and consider the sealed bids for the purchase of their holdings, the property was disposed of to W.M. Evans, his bid being the only one received, the amount offered being $2,950. We are unable at this time to state what the plans of the purchaser may be with reference to improving the property.

Local Intelligence

G.W. Patterson made a business trip to Chicago Friday.

Mrs. Ira Mishler was the guest of Lake Park relatives Monday.

Ole Lund, was a business visitor form Story City, Iowa, Friday.

E.J. Jones went to Kinbrae Monday on a business mission.

Miss Hattie Bedient is spending a few days with Fulda relatives.

James Mott made a business visit to Minneapolis Saturday night.

Mr. and Mrs. Will Devanney spent Sunday with Bigelow relatives.

Manning Plotts was a business visitor to the twin cities Monday.

Lawton's land office is now located over Morland's drug store.

J.H. Griggs and sons, of Granville, were guests of Worthington friends Friday.

Misses Mabel and Anna Olson spent the day with Bigelow friends Friday.

Charley Won went to St. Paul Friday for an over-Sunday visit with friends.

Paul Thompson, of Windom was transacting business in Worthington Friday.

H.D. Barnard, of Reading, was a business visitor to the county-seat Saturday.

John G. Mitchell was a business visitor to Rock Rapids the first of the week.

Miss Laura Cain, of Bigelow, was visiting with friends in Worthington Saturday.

J.S. Parker spent Sunday with Sioux City friends, returning Monday morning.

W.C. Wyatt, of Bigelow, was in the city Monday night attending Masonic lodge.

C.W. Becker, Wilmont's postmaster, was calling on Worthington friends Monday.

Edwin Brickson, the Adrian banker, was in the city, Monday on a business mission.

Will Marshall, of Brewster, came down to Worthington Friday on a business mission.

Rev. Pond, of Wilder, was the guest of Worthington friends for a short time Friday.

Senator E.H. Canfield, of Luverne, will deliver the Memorial Day address at Jackson.

Mr. Briggs, cashier of the Wilmont bank, was east bound on the Rock Island Monday.

G.H. Baldwin, of LeMars, Iowa, was looking after business interests in Worthington Friday.

A.J. Olund, of Bigelow, was calling on friends and relatives in this city Monday morning.

See M.E. Lawton for your Fire, Tornado and Hail insurance. Office over Morland's drug store.

Mrs. A.H. Clark returned Friday afternoon from a week's visit with her daughter at Heron Lake.

Mr. and Mrs. H.S. Hobson departed Monday afternoon for St. Paul, where they will visit for a few days.

Coroner A.B. Williams, of Wilmont, was in the city between train Saturday enroute to Rock Rapids, Iowa.

Mrs. June Norton returned to her home in Pipestone Saturday after a pleasant visit at the home of A.K. Albright.

W.W. Overholser, of the Sibley Gazette, was in Worthington Friday on business and paid the Advance-Herald a pleasant visit.

M.E. Lawton was a business visitor to Spirit Lake, Monday and witnessed the destruction of the Orleans hotel by the fire.

Mrs. G.A. Lincoln went to Wilmont Saturday and spent Sunday with her husband, who is operating a farm near that village.

Mr. and Mrs. Ross Nelson and children and Miss Selma Sorensen left Monday afternoon for a short visit with relatives and friends in Storden, Minn.

Gulf Coast Texas land for sale by M.E. Lawton. Ideal climate and good country. Excursions every first and third Tuesday. Write or call for latest booklet.

Thos. J. Lynch, of Ripon, Wis., a former resident of this county, was in the city the first of the week renewing old acquaintances and looking after business interests.

James Mott has disposed of his interests in the Grand theatre to Will Boddy who will continue to conduct the popular little playhouse along the same progressive lines that have been characteristic of the partnership.

H. Kettlewell, of Windom, of Windom, was the guest of friends in this city, Friday.

Attorney Hunter of Sibley, was in the city on professional business Saturday.

Miss Maud Anderson, of Adrian, spent Saturday with Mrs. Ivan Erickson.

Mrs. E.S. Whipkey, of Rushmore, was the guest of Mrs. G.V. Pettit, a few days last week.

W. Conklin, of Round Lake, was shaking hands with friends in Worthington, Friday.

Mrs. William Lockwood, of Pipestone, arrived in the city Saturday for a visit with Mrs. M.C. Carr.

Mr. and Mrs. G.A. Manning, of Inwood, Iowa, spent the day with Worthington friends Friday.

Miss Elsie Chase returned to her home in Windom Monday after a visit with Mr. and Mrs. Frank Eastman.

Miss Mabel Hogan returned to Minneapolis Monday morning after a two weeks' visit with her parents in this city.

Harriet Hanson, teacher in district 54, Ewington township, left Saturday night for a trip to California and the west.

Mrs. Otis Bigelow and two children arrived in the city Saturday for a visit with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. C.W.W. Dow.

Dr. and Mrs. J.N. Gould, were called to Fairmont Saturday morning by the serious illness of Mr. Gould's mother.

John Wilson, the genial baggageman at the Omaha depot has been laying off the past week on account of illness from grip.

E.L. Carter and wife, of Rock Rapids, Iowa, were the guests of friends in this city. Thursday, returning home Friday afternoon.

I.F. Kelley drove his auto to Lake Park Sunday and looked after business matters in that village Monday, returning home Monday evening.

E.A. Tripp, of Round Lake, was in attendance of the meeting of the stockholders of the Worthington Real Estate Company, Monday afternoon.

T.A. Palmer was a visitor to Lake Park, Monday, making the trip to visit his brother, who was injured in a runaway accident one day last week.

Joseph Masgai and sister, Lena, and Mrs. John Mauch, of Adrian, were in the city between trains Saturday, the guests of John Margai [Masgai] and family.

Mrs. Joseph Tregilius and daughter, of Sibley, were in the city for a few hours Saturday on their way through to Adrian for a visit with friends.

Mrs. John Lock, of Beldenville, Wis., arrived in the city Sunday morning for a short visit with her husband, who is employed as operator at the Omaha depot.

Mrs. Matt Becker left Friday afternoon for Hartford, S.D., where she will visit with her daughter, Mrs. August Allweis for a few days. Her two children, Henry and Lellia, accompanied her.

M.J. Barber, wife and son, Mahlon, returned home Monday afternoon from a visit with Sioux Falls relatives. Mr. Barber also made a trip to Chamberlain, near which city he has property interests.

Children's service will be held in St. John's church at three o'clock on the afternoon of Ascension Day, Thursday, May 20th, at four o'clock Special service on the evening of Ascension Day at eight o'clock.

Reuben Oakes gave a party at Rushmore in honor of Del Scott. Mrs. Dr. J.N. Gould, of this city went over to arrange and superintend the function, which took place Thursday night.

Ed Murray wishes to announce that he will hereafter contract painting and paper hanging. After ten years of residence in Worthington his work too well known to need comment and he solicits a share of your business upon his merits as a workman.

Rev. E.H. Rasmussen, who conducted a series of revival meetings in the Baptist church, left Monday morning for his home in Kasson, Minn., where he will visit for a few days before going to LaCrosse, Wis., to begin a series of meetings.

Father Laurence Vaughan, who has appeared here on the Lyceum course at various times, died at the hospital at Dubuque, Iowa, Monday. Father Vaughan was well-known throughout the entire country, as priest, actor, lecturer and playwright. He was known on the stage as Barry Vaughan. He was on the lecture platform for years, his themes being "Sermons from Shakespeare" and "The Merchant of Venice."

R.H. Dieckoff will remove his family to Minneapolis this week. Mr. Dieckhoff is traveling salesman for the Quick Meal stove, and finds that he can spend more time with his family by residence in the mill city. Mr. and Mrs. Dieckhoff have many friends in the community who will learn of their departure with genuine regret, but will wish them the best of good fortune in their new home.

George D. Lawson went to Rushmore Friday, where he took part in a home talent entertainment, delivering his "O'Shaunnesy's Experiences." George evidently "made good," as he was compelled to respond to two or three encores before the audience would consent to allow him to stop.

Dr. Edward W. Lanham was renewing old acquaintances in this city Thursday. The Dr. has just returned from a trip to Texas and other points in the south, and is just closing a very successful season upon the lyceum platform. Dr. Lanham will ever find warm welcome with Worthington friends and all will be glad to learn of his exceptional success as a platform orator.

Worthington has lost a worthy couple in the removal of Mr. and Mrs. Gus. Engelbretson. Mr. Engelbretson is employed as a traveling salesman and his territory is such that it is inconvenient for him to get home as often as he would so last week he shipped his household goods to Aberdeen, S.D., and will reside there in the future. Mrs. Engebretson left Monday night for a visit with relatives at Bismark.

The Humiston ponies are making a great hit wherever exhibited. When Mr. Hawley left Worthington it was only to play a three days' engagement at Sheldon, but he was retained there for a week, and during the interim other managers of moving picture concerns heard of the ponies and after looking over the act engaged it. He has played engagements at several South Dakota point, and his now at Sioux Falls, where the ponies are the talk of the city.

For the second time fire has destroyed  the Orleans hotel at Spirit Lake, Iowa. The last conflagration occurred Monday, at which time the structure was completely destroyed. A trifle over a year ago the hotel was consumed, and the proprietors were just rebuilding and making every effort to get it in shape for the opening of the fishing season at the resort, and the fire Monday is said to have been caused by the explosion of a gasoline torch in use by plumbers employed on the building. The furniture of the hotel was saved.

Friday, May 21, 1909

Has Smallpox

Newton Fauskee, Nobles County's efficient sheriff, is confined to his room at the sheriff's residence with small pox. For the past week the sheriff has been afflicted with an eruptive disease, which was at first thought to be chickenpox, but on Friday symptoms developed that determined the disease to be smallpox. The case is a light one and the sheriff, while of course confined to his room, has not been seriously ill at any time. He has no idea where he contracted the contagion. Every effort has been made by the health authorities to prevent the spread of the disease and it is not believed that any further cases will develop.

Culled from Exchanges

Mr. Rose, the gentleman who is now writing the history of Jackson county was in town this week looking up data for the work. He informs us that he is making much better progress than he anticipated and also said that when completed it will be a most splendid historical work with just enough thrilling incidents to make it interesting reading. --Jackson County Times.

Charlie Hale is at Worthington laying a brick setting for the immense boiler they are putting in at the city water and light power house. --Windom Citizen.

County Superintendent L.W. Abbott, of Worthington, visited the Wilmont public school Tuesday. He expressed himself as well pleased with the school, and spoke very highly of the way Prof. Giberson and Miss Low were conducting their work. --Wilmont Tribune.

Local Intelligence

T.H. Bloxham visited relatives at Sheldon, Saturday.

Clyde Fronck went to St. Peter Friday to visit his father.

Miss Bessie Scott was the guest of Rushmore friends Friday evening.

J. Wood, of Luverne, was calling on Worthington friends Saturday.

Miss Mildred Lewis spent Sunday with her parents at Wilmont.

Mrs. Frank Glasgow spent a few hours in Sioux City Saturday.

Ole Johnson, of Org was transacting business in Worthington Monday.

G.W. Patterson left Saturday for a trip to Chicago, on business matters.

Miss Mae Tupper left Saturday for a week's visit with Sioux Falls friends.

H.E. Myers, of Round Lake was in the city Thursday on a business mission.

F.L. Kieth, of Reading, was a business visitor to the county seat Monday.

Mr. and Mrs. J.S. Kies were passengers for Heron Lake Saturday morning.

G.T. Bulick, of Reading, was transacting business in Worthington Saturday.

Wilbur Renshaw, of Rushmore, was the guest of Worthington friends Saturday.

Mrs. Matilda Sterling left Tuesday afternoon for a short visit with relatives at Everly, Iowa.

Mr. and Mrs. A.J. Olund, of Bigelow, were guests over Sunday of Worthington friends.

Miss Mayme O'Connor, of Wilmont, was calling on Worthington friends Monday morning.

Stanley Swanberg went down to Sibley Friday evening to witness the ball game and call on friends.

Messrs. John and James Reilly, of Wilmont, were transacting business in the county seat on Saturday.

Mrs. J.H. James returned home Saturday afternoon from a visit with friends at Adrian and Rushmore.

Miss Blanche Dyer returned to her home in Windom Monday after a short visit with friends in this city.

Mrs. August Johnson, of Dundee, spent Friday in Worthington, the guest of Charles Hamstreet and wife.

Mr. and Mrs. E.H. Poppitz of Heron Lake, spent Sunday with Mrs. Poppitz's mother, Mrs. Dr. A.H. Clark.

Mr. and Mrs. A.M. Renner went to Comfrey, Minn., Saturday for an over-Sunday visit with Mr. Renner's parents.

Dr. A.N. Vail, of Rock Rapids, Iowa, was looking after business interests in Nobles county the first of the week.

W.G. Milburn, of Lakefield, was calling on Worthington friends and looking after business matters Thursday.

Mr. and Mrs. J.B. Ludlow, of Rushmore, spent Monday with Mr. Ludlow's parents, Mr. and Mrs. H.J. Ludlow.

Mr. and Mrs. L.J. Larson left Saturday for a couple of weeks' visit with friends at St. Pater and Kandiyohi, Minn.

Albert Detrich, who has been visiting his parents at Lake Crystal, Minn., for the past two weeks, returned Monday.

Miss Dryden, formerly a teacher in the Worthington schools, was the guest of friends in this city a few days this week.

Miss Florence Hill, of Rushford, Minn., was the guest over Sunday of Miss Eva Parrish, returning home Monday morning.

Bennett Joul, of Rushmore, was in the city for a short time Saturday on his way to Sioux City for an over Sunday visit with friends.

Rev. J.D. Gibb, of Rushmore, were in the city Tuesday between trains, enroute to Denver, where they will rusticate for a short time.

Miss Julia Peterson, of Des Moines, Iowa, arrived in the city Monday morning for a week's visit with her friends Miss Golda Dring.

Herold Oakes went to Rushmore Friday evening to witness the presentation of the play "College Chums," given by his brother, Reuben.

Miss Stella Anderson, who has been teaching near Ellsworth, closed her school last week and returned home Saturday morning.

Misses Carrie A. Bachtel and Blanche Donahue, of the Worthington corps of teachers, were visitors over Sunday with Brewster friends.

Clarence Dring left Monday for Pipestone, where he will make his headquarters, having accepted a position as fireman on the Pipestone branch.

Dr. Nellie Schuline, of Cambridge, Minn., was the guest of friends in Worthington the first of the week. She left Monday for Canton, S.D., for a visit.

Mrs. Georgie Gessner, of Sioux Falls, was the guest between trains Friday of E.M. Horton and family. Mrs. Gessner was just returning from an extended visit to Tucson, Ariz.

The heavy wind on Tuesday of last week blew one of the stained glass windows at the Baptist church. The window, which was 30 x 48 inches, will be replaced as soon as possible.

Ben Hildyard, who has been teaching in District 28, closed his school last week. He gave an ice cream social at the school house on Friday night, which was fairly well attended.

Rev. Carl O. Swan, former pastor of the Swedish Lutheran church, of this city, now located at St. Paul, arrived in the city Saturday afternoon and occupied his former pulpit Sunday.

William White, a former Worthington boy, but now a resident of Aberdeen, S.D., spent several days this week with his brother, Claude, and was renewing old acquaintances and school friends.

Mr. and Mrs. F.H. Richman, Mr. and Mrs. Philip Schraeder and Mrs. John Koster, of Round Lake, were in the city between trains Saturday on their way to Okabena, where they attended the christening of the grandchild of Mr. and Mrs. Schraeder.

The following letters remain uncalled for in the Worthington postoffice: Mrs. August (Amelia) Jarr, Luther Gathchell, Supt. J.A. Cederstrom, Albert Patterson, Herman Martensen. Parties calling for the above letters will please say "advertised."

A fifteen-months' old son of John A. Johnson, of Round Lake, tipped over backwards from a high chair and was precipitated into a tub of boiling water. The little one lived from Thursday, when the accident occurred until Monday, when death relieved his suffering.

R.H. Dieckhoff shipped his household goods to Minneapolis, his new home, last Saturday, Mr. and Mrs. Dieckhoff following on the night train. May then [they?] find things pleasant and enjoy life to the fullest in their new surroundings is the wish of their many friends in Worthington and vicinity.

A change in the time table on the Omaha went into effect last Sunday. None of the day trains are affected and but two of the night trains. No. 1, which formerly left Worthington at 1:50 a.m., now leaves at 1:15, and No. 10, which formerly left at 1;20 a.m., now arrives at that time and leaves at 1:25.

On Tuesday John Webster chaperoned a party to points in Oklahoma, where they will look over the land prospects. The party was composed of Mr. Marr, of this city, Walter Holt, of Clear Lake, S.D., and Peter Peterson, of Rock Rapids, Iowa. They will visit Ponca, Oklahoma city and other points.

Mr. and Mrs. Frank White, of New York, who have been visiting Mrs. E.S. Wemple, of Rushmore, were in the city Tuesday, between trains. The object of their visit was to meet Mrs. Anton Schaefer, Mrs. White's mother, and accompany her back to Rushmore, where she will spend a few days at the Wemple home.

H.J. Blume returned home Monday from a visit to Watertown, Canton, Sioux Falls and other points in South Dakota on business matters. Mr. Blume is looking for a location to establish or purchase a photo business, but none of the towns visited came up to expectations. He will probably locate at Hot Springs.

Ross Nelson has opened up a short order restaurant and soft drink emporium in the room formerly occupied by the Albert & Rockwell Saloon. He will also carry a nice line of fruits, cigars and tobacco. The place has been re-arranged and presents a clean, inviting appearance and no doubt will be liberally patronized.

C.A. Pederson, who has been residing in Dundee for several months, shipped his household goods back to Worthington Thursday and will reside here again for a time at least. He has not as yet decided to locate here permanently owing to lack of employment, but it is probable that he will secure something to his liking soon and remain in Worthington.

W.I. Carpenter has completed his new launch and on Monday hauled it to the lake and placed it in the water. It is one of the prettiest crafts that has ever graced the waters of Okabena, and Mr. Carpenter has every reason to be proud of his handiwork. It will no doubt develop considerable speed, being equipped with a two-horse power Detroit engine, and will be greatly in demand during the summer season.

Mrs. J.W. Gould, mother of Dr. J.N. Gould, died at Fairmont Wednesday of last week. She had been ill for some time, and the doctor and his wife were called over to Fairmont last week, Mrs. Gould remaining there, but the doctor was compelled to return home.He returned to Fairmont Wednesday, however, and was present when the end came. The Advance-Herald joins his friends in extending heartfelt sympathy in the hour of bereavement.

The young son of Dr. B.O.  Mork gave his parents quite a fright Friday morning, and himself had a narrow escape from being drowned. He accompanied his parents and some friends on a fishing expedition and while engaged in the piscatorial sport fell over backwards into the water. Fortunately he landed close enough to the pier to be pulled out without necessitating a plunge from any of the parties who witnessed the stunt, and aside from wet garments suffered no inconvenience from his impromptu bath.

Arthur C. Raymond, the English adventurer, who while working a hotel advertising scheme, caused a young lady at blue Earth to fall in love with him and marry him, and was afterwards proven a bigamist, has been arrested at Toledo, Ohio, while working his graft. Raymond, as soon as confronted with the charge, shortly after his marriage to the Blue Earth girl deserted her and has since been at liberty. It is thought that he is the same party who a short time after the bigamous marriage was in this city working his advertising scheme. The description tallies with that of the man who was here, even to the English accent.

Concert Was Excellent

The concert given by Miss Elva Chrysler, assisted by Mr. Jesse Ewer, baritone and Mrs. Idella Wells, pianist, at the Methodist church, last Friday night was not as well attended as the merits of the offering deserved, but those who availed themselves of the opportunity of hearing these gifted singers were well rewarded.

Miss Chrysler was in excellent voice, and sang a number of difficult selection in a particularly pleasing manner. Perhaps the most pleasing of her offerings was the Swiss Echo Song.

Mr. Ewer possesses one of the roundest and fullest baritone voices that has been heard in Worthington for some time, rendering some very difficult selection with an ease and grace which proclaimed him in the front rank. His rendition of "A Son of the Desert" was a musical treat, and the extra number, when he gave the popular "Annie Laurie," were exceptionally well rendered, and well received.

Mrs. Wells is a pianist of ability and rendered valuable assistance to the singers by her work at the piano.


Peter F. Schmidt, of Magnolia, was kicked in the abdomen by a sick horse which he was attending, and the injury caused his death. He had been dead for some time when found, but an autopsy developed the fact that the intestines were blackened, which determined the way he met his death.

Local Intelligence

A.R. Mann spent Sunday with his family at Windom.

"The Sweet Girl Graduate," senior class play, Friday, May 28.

S.M. Stewart was a business visitor to Sioux Falls Monday.

Will take in town cows to pasture about May 26th or 27th. L.H. Beckley.

Fred Mohl, of Adrian, was a business visitor to the county seat Tuesday.

J.S. Kies went to Grundy Center, Iowa, Wednesday on a business mission.

Anton Breman, of Lawler, Ia., spent Sunday with friends in Worthington.

Don't forget the auction at Martin's store Saturday afternoon and evening.

Miss Marguerite Becker, of Brewster, spent Sunday with her mother, Mrs. Matt Becker.

Mr. and Mrs. E.J. Wolven departed Tuesday for a few days' visit with Sheldon friends.

Lightning Wednesday afternoon struck a tree in Will Madison's yard, skinning it badly.

Mort. Twitchell left Monday afternoon for Minneapolis, where he will enter the soldiers' home.

Miss Vera Shell, of Sibley, came up Wednesday for a visit with her cousin, Miss Margie Shell.

Mrs. A.A. Goodrich returned home Tuesday morning from a few days' visit with Sioux City friends.

For Sale -- A one and one-half horse power, gasoline electric engine. First-class order. M.E. Lawton.

E.W. Langer left Sunday afternoon for Minneapolis, where he attended to business matters the first of the week.

Mrs. Louisa Peterson, who has been the guest of Mrs. Ole Sather, returned to her home at Siefort, Minn., Wednesday.

Rev. W.L. Dibble, of Columbus, Neb., will preach at the Congregational church next Sunday morning and evening.

FOR SALE One water tank, one pair farm scales, one horse, one buggy, one light wagon. Inquire of G.B. Hildyard.

M.R. Sullwold, of Minneapolis, who has been visiting his son, Dr. A. Sullwold, for the past month, returned home Sunday.

F.L. Humiston, F.C. Turner and Joe Taylor left Tuesday for Brownsville, Texas, where they will look over the land prospects.

The members of St. Mary's parish tendered M.J. Martin a farewell surprise party Wednesday night, and presented him with a handsome leather rocker.

The ladies of the Catholic Aid Society will give a tea at the home of Mrs. Peter Netter next Thursday, May 27, from 3 to 6.

Dr. F.M. Manson left Tuesday morning for Jackson, where he was summoned as a witness in a criminal trial in progress in that city.

Miss Carrie Chappell, of Dodgeville, Wis., was the guest last Monday of Miss Ethel bloom. She left Tuesday for a visit with friends in Adrian.

Mrs. J.S. Kies and daughter, Mona, left Monday, for Chicago where they were called by illness of Mrs. Kies' brother, who was compelled to submit to an operation.

Among those from Worthington who attended the meeting of the Shriners at Sioux City last night were: J Suddaby, J.D. Humiston, S.S. Smith and Will Stoutemyer.

Mrs. Frank Durfee went to Fairmont Thursday at which place she was soloist for a church function at the Congregational church. She returned home Monday morning.

Roy Wakefield, a former resident of Worthington, passed through the city Tuesday and stopped off at the depot to shake hands with old friends. He is now a resident of Coffeyville, Kan.

Art. Rose, of Jackson, spent Sunday with his parents in this city. On his return Monday morning his mother, Mrs. S.N. Rose accompanied him to Jackson and will be his guest for a short time.

Dr. H. Wiewdow made a trip to Jackson in his auto Tuesday. The doctor was a witness in the Anderson-Uden trial, which was being tried in that city this week. He was accompanied on the trip by Rev. G.A. Cahoon.

Jack Morrow, Sibley's efficient marshal, was in the city a short time Wednesday. Jack, although possessed of but one arm, is a terror to evil-doers and he made one of the best officers Sibley has ever known.

The class of '09 held an informal party on Tuesday evening at the home of Miss Alice Pannell. The evening was pleasantly whiled away with games, vocal and instrumental music, and each of the seniors reports a general good time.

Mrs. E.J. Morton, of Santa Cruise, Cal., arrived in Worthington Sunday, on her way for a visit with her son C.S. Morton, of Rushmore. Mrs. Morton is one of Nobles county's pioneer settlers, and during the time she was in the city called on a number of her old friends and acquaintances.

I.N. Wilson and wife left Tuesday morning for Hatfield and Pipestone, Minn., where they will visit relatives. At the former place they will visit their daughter, and at Pipestone they will spend a few days with Gould Wilson, their son, who is employed on the Pipestone branch of the Omaha.

Elmer Carlson left Monday morning for Aberdeen, S.D., where he will remain for a time, contracting for the erection of grain elevators. After completing his work at Aberdeen he will go to Missoula, Mont., and other town in that locality on the same mission. He expects to be gone all summer.

The Worthington High School track team and a similar team representing Mountain Lake, engaged in a track meet at the fair grounds last Saturday, at which time Worthington carried off the honors in every event, but owing to the failure of those interested to bring in the scores we are unable to publish them.

The illustrated lecture on Nansen's quest of the North pole, given at the Baptist church last Monday night was not as well attended as it should have been owing to the lack of advertising. The operator had some trouble getting his machine into working order and Supt. McElligott was sent for and soon had everything running smoothly. Those who attended the lecture pronounce it first-class in every respect.

The only opportunity of seeing the Worthington high school ball team in action on home grounds this season will be presented to the "fans" next Wednesday afternoon, when the Rushmore town team and the W.H.S. will cross bats. Both are strong teams and an exciting game is assured. The admission will be 15 and 25 cents. Turn out and root and help the home team win. Game called at 4:15.

The ladies of the W.R.C. last Saturday night presented Stoddard Post, No. 34. G.A.R., with a beautiful new silk flag, the presentation taking place at the G.A.R. Hall in the basement of the court house. Mrs. Wm. Devanney, on behalf of the Corps made the presentation speech, which was responded to by Commander I.N. Wilson and J.A. Town. A bounteous repast was also a part of the evening program and all did ample justice to the many good things provided.

When the alarm of fire was turned Monday afternoon, a horse driven by Hattie and Elmer Sliver, children of J.W. Sliver, took fright and started to run. Before getting under headway, however, the animal decided to get rid of the conveyance in which the children were seated, and began kicking, demolishing the dashboard and getting its foot caught in the bed of the rig. It finally extricated itself and kept running and kicking all the way from Dr. Dolan's residence to the old A.O.U.W. corner, where it was caught by Jas. Messer. The shafts were broken loose from the buggy but no other damage was done. The children, however, were badly frightened, and it seems a miracle that they were uninjured.

Friday, May 28, 1909

Local Intelligence

J.S. Frink attended the shoot at Luverne Wednesday.

Miss Ethel Bloom spent Sunday with Rushmore friends.

Mrs. I.N. Wilson has been on the sick list this week.

S.M. Stewart made a business trip to Sioux City Monday.

Dr. J.N. Gould was called to Dundee Wednesday on professional business.

Miss Cora Dow, of Heron Lake, spent Sunday with her parents in this city.

Miss Nellie Lyons left Monday morning for a visit with friends at Clark, S.D.

J.M. Plotts returned home Tuesday from a business trip to points in South Dakota.

Ray Stanton and S.S. McKinney were business visitors Friday from Spirit Lake, Iowa.

Mrs. Mary Blazier, of Adrian, spent Saturday and Sunday with her daughter, Mrs. John Masgai.

N.N. Robinson, S.Q. Robinson and E.G. Robinson, of Adrian, were in the city Saturday on business.

Mr. and Mrs. Howard Durfee and ltitle daughter left Saturday for a short visit with St. Paul friends.

W.H. Blume left Wednesday for Hot Springs, S.D., where he expects to open a photographic studio.

Mrs. T. Branigan, of Rock Rapids, arrived Monday for a short visit with her daughter, Mrs. E.K. Smith.

See M.E. Lawton for your fire, tornado and hail insurance. Office over Morland's drug store.

Miss Emma Gustafson, of St. James, came down Saturday for an over-Sunday visit with Miss Lizzie Swanson.

Mrs. J.S. Cochs, of Windom, returned to her home Saturday after a week with her sister, Mrs. Frank Eastman.

Mrs. Etta Barnard, of Little Rock, Iowa, arrived Wednesday morning for a visit with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. I.N. Wilson.

Mr. and Mrs. George R. Slocum, of St. Paul, were guests the first of the week of Worthington friends, returning home Monday.

For Rent -- A four-room flat on second floor; good location; city water and light; suitable for small family. Inquire of A.M. Renner.

J.H. Griggs and little son were in the city Saturday enjoying the fishing in Okabena and Ocheda, returning home to Hospers Sunday afternoon.

Mrs. George Snyder, and son, Herbert, who were guests last week of Frank Eastman and wife, returned to their home at Fulda Saturday.

J.H. West, who is employed as superintendent of the electric light plant at Hartley, Iowa, came up Tuesday night for a visit with his family.

Dr. Wm. M. Jennings has been engaged to deliver the baccalaureate sermon for the Normal school at Madison, S.D., on Sunday evening, June 6th.

J.B. Ludlow, of Rushmore, was in the city Saturday between trains, on his way home from Sleepy Eye, where he was in attendance at the bankers' convention.

Miss Mabel Kunzman, who has been teaching in district No. 80, closed her school on the 14th inst. She and her pupils enjoyed a picnic on Lake Ocheda on that day.

Miss Amelia Bahlke left Friday afternoon for Pipestone, where she will visit for a few days, after which she will witness her sister's graduation at Rochester.

Mrs. J.B. Morton left Friday for Chicago for a visit with her mother. J.B. is "keeping batch" this week and does not hesitate to say that it is not at all satisfactory.

Dr. R.E. Miller, of Sioux City, spent Sunday at the home of H.J. Ludlow.

For Rent. Goot [good?] hotel building in Wilmont. Terms reasonable to right party. Inquire or F.S. O'Niel, Windom Minn., or First National bank, Wilmont.

$2.50 Daily. Refined Lady of good appearance to act as demonstrator. Experience unnessary. Liberal pay and steady employment. Write, C.W. Smith, State Manager, Iowa City, Ia.

Oscar F. Blood, of the Worthington Plumbing Co., who is engaged in superintending a job of work for the company at Sioux City, came up Saturday for an over-Sunday visit with his family.

Quite a number of the friends of Joseph Arbes and bride were at the depot Wednesday to speed them on their honeymoon trip to the west. They were freely "riced" and warmly congratulated.

It is now "Papa" White. Perhaps you have noticed that Claude has been even more genial than usual this week. The arrival of a brand new boy last Tuesday is the cause.

John Lock, who has been employed as operator at the Omaha depot for the past three months, left Wednesday morning for Midvale, Idaho, where he will look over the prospects with a view to locating in that section.

Mrs. Charles Bryan and Miss Maud Hook, of Ellsworth, arrived in the city Saturday and remained over Sunday as guests of Matt Bryan and family. They departed Monday for Watertown, S.D., where they expect to reside in the future.

F.c. Brace, the jeweler, has added considerably to the appearance of the interior of his store, by the addition of two eight-foot show cases. The show cases are of heavy plate glass, and the bases are of mahogany. They are decidedly the prettiest cases in the city and are attracting considerable attention from those who have seen them.

W.W. Smith and Frank Blais, of Harris, Iowa, went fishing at Spirit Lake last week. The lake was rough and the two men were capsized. A fisherman came to their rescue and hauled them out of the water, but not until Blais had gone down for the third time. Smith had taken a death grip on the overturned boat and it was necessary to stun him by striking him over the head before he would release his hold and permit himself to be rescued.

Acquitted on Short Notice

Orvie Anderson, living east of town, who was on trial last week in the district court in Jackson county, charged with assault in the second degree, upon the person George Uden, was acquitted, the jury brining in a verdict of self-defense, after being out about a half hour.

The trouble that led up to the cutting occurred at a country dance in Ewington township, Jackson county, and the common report was that it started over a young lady, but this is said to be erroneous, and the direct cause of the fracas is a mystery.

Mrs. Sarah E. Miller Dies From Appoplexy Last Saturday

Mrs. Sarah E. Miller, mother of Mrs. W.C. Wyatt, died at her home in Bigelow Saturday from appoplexy. The funeral services were held from her late residence Monday afternoon at 3 o'clock, Rev. R.W. Coates officiating, and the remains taken to Hull, Iowa, for interment. Many beautiful floral tributes were received.

Sarah E. Benton was born in England, September 4, 1832, and came to America with her parents when but a child, the family settling in New York. In 1854 she was united in marriage to John Miller, and to this union were born six children. Two sons and one daughter still survive, together with 14 grandchildren and 4 great grandchildren.

The family came from the east in 1873 and settled at Sioux City, and three and one-half years later the husband and father passed away. Since that time Mrs. Miller has resided at different places, but had resided at Bigelow for some time previous to her death.

"Grandma" Miller, as she was familiarly known, was a good christian woman, a member of the M.E. church at Hull, Iowa, her former residence, and she will be greatly missed by her relatives and friends.


Andrew Anderson was a visitor at the home of G. Gullekson Sunday.

Andrew Evenson's orchard and strawberry fields are in perfect condition. A heavy crop of strawberries is expected.

Ole Anderson was a welcome guest at the home of Chris. Amundson, Sunday. He departed for home the same day. It is reported that he had an enjoyable time which he will never regret.

Will Open Garage

I.F. Kelley will open a garage in the building next to the feed barn about June 7th, operating an auto livery and doing a general auto repair business as well. He will also carry a full line of Buick cars and supplies. an auto livery is one of the conveniences that Worthington has not been supplied with up to the present, but have proven to be paying institutions in several of the neighboring towns.

Mr. Kelley has placed a number of Buicks in this vicinity and has another carload enroute, most of which are sold before arrival. A letter from Mr. Kelley announces his plans for the auto garage and livery and also conveys the information that he is enjoying the excellent bass fishing at Alexandria, Minn., for a few days.

Tourist Club Luncheon

The annual luncheon of the Worthington Tourist Club was held Monday at the home of Mrs. A.R. Albertus. Covers were placed for twelve and the table was decorated with a large center piece of apple blossoms, while from the buffet and sideboard nodded tall clusters of tulips. In the living room and library dark red tulips were used to bank the piano and mantles.

Luncheon was followed by election of officers for the ensuing year as follows: President, Mrs. Lee M. Shell; vice president, Mrs. Geo. W. Wilson; secretary-treasurer, Mrs. A.R. Albertus; librarian, Mrs. G.W. Roth. The secretary then read the program for the coming year.

The members all expressed themselves as having enjoyed a most instructive year and fel that they will derive much benefit from working out the Greek Art program they have compiled for 1909-10.

A list of those present follows, Mesdames Shell, Jennings, Carr, Chaney, E.J. Jones, Lincoln, G.W. Wilson, Lee M. Shell, Albertus, Roth, Morland, Stanley Moore.

Mrs. Elizabeth Myers Succumbs to Heart Failure Saturday

Sudden indeed was the summons of the death messenger when he called Mrs. Elizabeth O. Myers on Saturday afternoon last.

Mrs. Myers has for some time conducted a rooming house on Third avenue, reserving a couple of rooms for her own use. Among those rooming on the premises were several out-of-town young ladies who are attending school here, and it was one of these, Miss Freda Lees, who discovered the dead body of Mrs. Myers lying face down in a box which had been in use for storing fuel. She had evidently been dead for several hours.

Miss Lees had been to Brewster to pay her regular weekly visit to her parents and returned at four o'clock Sunday afternoon, and shortly after entering the house she made the grewsome discovery. she immediately gave the alarm, but the aged lady was beyond the aid of mortal.

Coroner Williams, of Wilmont, was notified and came down Monday morning and viewed the remains, deciding that an inquest was unnecessary, and that death had been occasioned by organic heart trouble some time Saturday afternoon.

Mrs. Myers had not been in the best of health for some time, the death of her daughter, Hattie, in Oklahoma recently, preyed heavily, and combined with her advanced age and the organic trouble to hasten the end.

Deceased was 77 years, 8 months and 9 days of age, and had no immediate relatives, a son-in-law, F.N. Reese, and son, Paul, of Estherville, Iowa, being the nearest of kin. These were notified and arrived Monday morning. The funeral was held Monday afternoon.

Frank B. Duster and Miss Mayme A. O'Connor Married Wednesday

At Wilmont, on Wednesday morning, May 26th, at 8 o'clock occurred the marriage of Mr. Frank B. Duster, former editor of the Globe, and Miss Mayme O'Connor, of Wilmont.

The bride was attired in a handsome wedding gown of champaign silk and carried a bouquet of bride's roses, and was attended by her sister, Miss Winnifred O'Connor. The groom wore the conventional black, and Joe Pass served in the capacity of best man.

The ceremony was performed by Rev. J. Holper, pastor of the Catholic church in the presence of a few immediate friends and relatives of the contracting parties. Mrs. N.J. Lorge playing the wedding march.

Both are well and favorably known in Worthington. The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. P.O. O'Connor, and was born in Worthington and has resided here nearly all of her life, with the exception of the past five years, which have been spent in Wilmont, where her father has been engaged in the hotel business.

Mr. Duster was for several years editor of the Worthington Globe, relinquishing that position last December, and has until a few weeks ago been employed by A.P. Rose of the Northern History Co. He is a capable young man, and has many warm friends in this community.

After the ceremony, an elaborate wedding breakfast was served at the home of the bride's parents, after which the happy young couple drove to Worthington where they boarded the afternoon train for the twin cities. After a short visit there, they will go to Remsen, Iowa, the home of the groom, for a short visit with Mr. Duster's parents.

They will take up their residence at Fulda, where the groom will assume editorial charge of the Republican.

The warmest congratulations of the many Worthington and Wilmont friends of the young couple will be supplemented by those of the newspaper fraternity, with whom the Advance-Herald joins.

Local Intelligence

Miss Cora Duba visited Dundee relatives this week.

Dr. C.P. Dolan last week purchased a Buick from I.F. Kelley.

Mrs. G.V. Pettit visited Sunday at Trosky, Minn., with her son, Ivan.

J.F. Renielt, of Ellsworth, was a business visitor to the county seat Friday.

L.A. Gregory was a business visitor to the county seat Monday from Adrian.

B.C. Weidt, of Guttenberg, Iowa, was in the city Monday on a business mission.

Mrs. S.D. Berg, of Pierce, Neb., spent Thursday night with Mrs. Dr. J.N. Gould.

L.G. Blackert, of Spirit Lake, Iowa, was the guest this week of Dr. L.R. Gholz.

Mrs. M.E. Barnes left Friday for a week with relatives and friends at Storm Lake, Iowa.

Roscoe Smith, of Brewster, was calling on Worthington friends Tuesday afternoon.

W.H. Watermon, of Estherville, Iowa, was transacting business in this vicinity Monday.

Post Cards in colors, showing views of Worthington, 4 for 5 cents at Steffens' restaurant.

Mrs. H.S. Swartwood, of Currie, spent a few days this week with her daughter, Mrs. John Donovan.

Mrs. Dr. J.N. Gould and guest, Mrs. Dr. Cressler, went down to Sibley, Tuesday for a day with friends.

Mrs. Ira Alvord departed Friday for Pipestone, where she will be the guest of her parents for a short time.

Mrs. Dr. Cressler, of Shurdan, Iowa, is spending a couple of weeks in Worthington, the guest of Mrs. J.N. Gould.

Mrs. Emily Upstrom, of Denver, Col., arrived in Worthington Sunday and will spend several months with her sister, Mrs. Gus Swanberg.

P.J. Nelson, of the Gray-Nelson Hardware Co., left on Monday for Milwaukee to attend the national convention of retail hardware dealers.

Henry Metzger, of Round Lake, visited with his wife at the city hospital Sunday. Mrs. Metzger, who is in the hospital for medical treatment is gaining rapidly, a fact that will be received with pleasure by her many friends.

Mrs. Julia Hensel, who has been a sufferer for several weeks from erysipelas, was compelled to undergo a slight operation Sunday at her room at the residence of F.C. Turner. The malady developed into blood poisoning and it became necessary to open the arm near the elbow and treat for the infection.

Will Hawley left Wednesday afternoon for Luverne, taking with him his three trained ponies. The little equines will be the attraction at the Grand theatre in that city, and will no doubt prove the immense drawing card and pleasing attraction at the Rock County city that they have been at all the other places they have been exhibited.

Dr. J.T. Smallwood left Tuesday morning for St. Paul, where he attended the marriage Wednesday of Joseph Arbes and Miss Virginia Matteson. Both the bride and groom are well-known in Worthington, the bride having lived here for a number of years, previous to her removal to St. Paul, and the groom was formerly employed at Morland's drug store. The Advance-Herald joins their numerous friends in extending congratulations.

Fred Rose has been going about the past week with his left eye bandaged and covered with a heavy dressing, but he has not been fighting. Fred has been troubled for a number of years with a defective tear sac, due to an injury to his nose, and last cessful and Fred now anticipates freedom from his old trouble. [This previous sentence has been transcribed exactly -- it looks like the original typesetters may have left out some words.] He has been operating his dray line just the same as it he was able to see after the business with both eyes, and we have not heard of any complaints from patrons.

W.W. Loveless left Tuesday for a few days recreation at Fairmont.

John S. Johnson, of Fulda, spent Sunday with Worthington friends.

A.R. Albertus and I.F. Kelley were business visitors to the twin cities the first of the week.

Mesdames J.P. West and P.M. Crosbie, of Brewster, were guests of friends in Worthington Friday.

J.C. Thom, of Rushmore, was in the city, the end of last week on business and found time to make this office a pleasant call. Mr. and Mrs.  Thom returned a short time ago from a years visit on the Pacific coast and Mr. Thom informed us they had a very pleasant time.

A barn belonging to Langseth Bros., and located on one of their farms near Round Lake, was struck by lightning Thursday of last week and destroyed. A rumor was current on the streets that it was the barn on their place in Indian Lake township which had been destroyed, but this proved erroneous.

The Hon. J.A. Town of Worthington, has been secured to deliver the Memorial day address here. J.A. is one of the old boys who has been there help skin 'em and the people of Heron Lake and vicinity will miss the opportunity of a life time if they fail to hear Comrade Town. --Jackson County Times.

Rev. W.L. Bibble, who was to preach at the Congregational church last Sunday, was unable to fill his engagement on account of the sickness of his wife. He was at Rushmore, where he has property interests, and came over to Worthington on the 1:20 train Saturday and soon after his arrival received a telegram announcing that his wife was very sick and to come home at once.

The water and light commission last Friday evening signed a contract with Supt. J.E. McElligott, whereby that gentleman is to assume the duties of superintendent of the light and power plant for the ensuing year. The selection is, in our opinion a wise one as Mr. McElligott is a thoroughly competent man, possessed of executive ability as well as a thorough mechanic in his especial line. He has taken hold of the plant in a business like manner, and during the month that he has been in charge has made a number of changes that tend to the betterment of the conditions existing at the plant. Immediately after the signing of the contract Mr. McElligott left for his former home in Red Wing, to ship his household goods and remove his family to this city, having rented the Addington house on Sixth avenue.

Attention Stoddard Post

All members of Stoddards Post, No. 34, and Relief Corps, No. 1, are requested to meet in the G.A.R. Post Room, Sunday, May 30th, at 10:15 a.m., sharp, for memorial services at the Methodist church. By order of I.N. Wilson, Commander. J.J. Bingham, Adjutant.

Four Weeks' Session To be Held in This City Commencing July 6th

A training school for the teachers of this and adjoining counties will be held at Worthington, beginning July 6, and continuing four weeks. Instructors noted for long and successful experience in school work in this state will be in charge of the class work of this school.

Supt. J.C. Marshall of Princeton, will be the conductor of the school, this being his fifth visit to Worthington in this capacity.

Miss Julia Hyland, who for many years has taught in the Worthington Schools, and who is held to be one of the most consummate and thorough teachers in the county and state, will be first assistant.

A primary school containing the first three grades will be in operation during the entire term. This will be in charge of Miss Carrie Sevatson, who will be remembered by our teachers on account of her splendid work in 1907.

Miss Charotte [Charlotte?] Raymond,  who has charge of the public schools of Canby, Minn., and who comes highly recommeded by the State Superintendent as an expert in her line, will have charge of this branch of the work.

The scope of the school will cover all the subjects included in a first grade certificate, besides agriculture, methods, and the model school.

On account of the special importance attached to the subject of agriculture at this time and the fact that this subject will be taught throughout the entire term, should appeal strongly to the teachers of this and adjoining counties. In no other county summer school in the state, so I am informed, will the subject of agriculture be given except for a few days. L.W. ABBOTT, County Superintendent.

Memorial Day Program

Memorial Day will be observed in this city Monday, May 31st, at 2 p.m. at the Methodist church. The members of the Stobbard [Stoddard] Post, No. 34, G.A.R. and the W.R.C. No. 1, will assemble at the G.A.R. room at the court house at 1:15 sharp and march to the church, where the following program will be rendered:
Music by Worthington Concert Band.
Prayer, Rev. Wm. M. Jennings.
Solo, Miss Elva Chrysler.
Song: pupils from room 1, Worthington schools.
Song: pupils from room 2, Worthington schools.
Gettyburg Address, Mildred Lewis.
Song, "Our Land," Swedish Sunday school class.
Address, Rev. G.A. Cahoon.
Song, "America," Everybody.

----End Transcription----

Microfilm, Worthington Advance; Minnesota Historical Society, St. Paul, MN; obtained November, 2007.


If you would like more information,
please contact Terri Mindock

The banner below has been added by the website host, and does not reflect any promotion by the author of these pages.