Search billions of records on

Lane-Blood Genealogy
You are here:  Home  >  MN newspaper articles  >  transcription

Newspaper Articles
from Worthington Advance
 February, 1909

Use the EDIT > FIND function on your browser to search this page.
To search the rest of this site, go to the HOME page (link above)
and use the "Search this site" box.

Friday, February 5, 1909

Shulz-Steinman Nuptials

On Wednesday evening, Januray 27, at 6 o'clock, at the home of bride's parents, in Elk township, occurred the marriage of their daughter, Emma Ella to Herbert L. Steinman, son of Mr. and Mrs. C.O. Steinman.

Mrs. Charles Erickson presided at the organ while Rev. Joshua Schecter led the bridal couple to the parlor, where the ceremony was performed under an arch covered with evergreens and decorated with pink and white tulips. Miss Lelso Schulz, sister of the bride, acted as bridesmaid and Mr. Eugene Steinman, brother of the groom officiated as best man.

The bride was becomingly dressed in white silk and carried a bouquet of bride's roses, and the groom wore the conventional black.

Immediately after the ceremony a bountiful supper was served and the evening spent in a social way, about sixty-five guests being present.

Mr. and Mrs. Steinman will take up their residence on a farm owned by the groom's father, located north of town. The young people are well and favorably known here, both having been reared in this vicinity, and have the best wishes of their many friends for a long and happy wedded life.

The newly wed couple were the recipients of a large number of useful and beautiful presents, but owing to lack of time and space we are unable to publish the list.


Mrs. Maud Grant spent Wednesday with Brewster friends.

G.W. Patterson was business visitor to Brewster Wednesday.

H.A. Nelson, of Rushmore, was in the city on business Tuesday.

Mrs. Henry Lestico left Tuesday for a visit with relatives in Dundee.

John Salstrom, of Bigelow, was a business visitor to the county seat Wednesday.

The Carnegie Library received twenty-four volumes of Lincoln literature this week.

A girl baby arrived at the home of Magnus Sedberg and wife, of Bigelow township, last Friday.

Lost - Watch charm with initials H.C.P. engraved thereon. Finder return to this office for reward.

State Veterinarian Whitcomb was in Worthington the first of the week on business connected with his office.

Big reduction in prices on present stock of millinery to make room for spring goods. Hawley & Suddaby.

Rev. C.M.  Johnson will preach at Mr. Velin's house, near Round Lake, next Sunday, February 7th, at 3 p.m.

Charles Burnham and wife, of Org, are rejoicing over the birth of a brand new boy who arrived Thursday morning.

Mrs. W.C. Wyatt entertained Mrs. James Kitterman, of Pipestone, this week. Mrs. Ktiterman returned home Tuesday.

Mrs. Dr. Manson entertained at cards last Tuesday afternoon, twelve ladies being present and an enjoyable time reported.

Nic Casereto and A. Tossinni, of Sibley, were in the city Wednesday. Mr. Tossini was looking after a cargo of ice for shipment to Sibley.

David Jones lost a valuable horse Monday from rupture of the stomach. Dr. Gould was summoned, but the animal was beyond human aid.

Emil and Henry Lestico left Tuesday for Aberdeen, S.D., where they will resume work upon the bridge construction crew of the railroad.

R.W. Mercer and wife are guests of relatives in St. Paul. Mr. Mercer will return home Saturday, but Mrs. Mercer will remain for a longer visit.

Word has been received here that James Tatsch Hayes a former Nobles county resident past (sic) away on Dec. 27th at the Colorado home for consumptives.

Rev. C.O. Swan and family left Wednesday for St. Paul, where he will assume the pastorate of Emanuel church. Rev. E.O. Chalgrin, of Warren, Minn., has been called to supercede Mr. Swan.

There will be a basket social and Valentine party at the Saxon school house, District No. 23, Indian Lake township, on the evening of Friday February 12. Ladies bring lunch and valentines to be sold with it. Everybody come. Hilda M. Nelson, teacher.

Rev. Wm. N. Jennings, D.D., wife and two children, arrived in the city Tuesday from Battle Creek, Iowa. Rev. Jennings has accepted the call extended by the Presbyterian church of this city and will preach next Sunday.

Rev. Cahoon and wife left Tuesday for a visit with friends in Madelia, after which Mr. Cahoon will go to Minneapolis, where he will attend the Layman's Missionary convention for Minnesota which is in three days' session in that city this week.

Elsewhere in this issue will be found a large advertisement for the White Steamer, handled by the Smith Implement Co. This firm has but recently added autos and W.M. Evans was the first resident of Worthington to purchase a White Steamer.

Jens Christenson had his share of the snow, and a little bit more. On his farm were several drifts from eight to ten feet high and a four foot drift completely around the house, so that Jens has had plenty of work shoveling the "beautiful" on his premises.

C.R. West, the Brewster banker, suffered a stroke of appoplexy Saturday night and is in a precarious condition. The left side is affected and paralysis is present in the left arm and leg. At this writing he is somewhat improved, but is still in a critical condition.

Glen Eggleson had the misfortune to sustain a fracture of his right arm yesterday morning. He was working around his father's livery barn, when he slipped and fell, breaking the arm between the elbow and shoulder. He went at once to a physician and received the necessary attention.

Carsten Hansen, formerly car repairer for the Omaha at this place, but now located at Mitchell, S.D., had the misfortune recently to lose his five months old daughter, Mary, from lung fever, after an illness of only three days. Mr. and Mrs. Hansen have many friends in this community who will be grieved to learn of his misfortune and the sympathy of all their friends is extended to them in their bereavement.

Miss Robbie Scheier, of Adrian, spent Tuesday with friends in this city. Miss Scheier was on her way to Edgerton, Minn., where she will attend the wedding of a friend, after which she will go on to Luverne, where she is engaged to play a role in an amateur theatrical performance. Miss Scheier posseses a marked degree of talent in theatrical work and will be remembered by Worthington theatrical patrons as "Madge" in the recent production of "True Kentucky Hearts," produced by Adrian home talent in this city.

Next Sunday morning at the Congregational church at 10:45, the pastor will preach on the subject: "What is Spiritual? What is Natural?" Sunday School at 12 o'clock and Christian Envor (sic) at 6:30 p.m. At 7:30 a thirty minute song service and short sermon by the pastor, subject: "Mortgaging the Future." We ask the parents especially to help us secure the attendance of the children and young people at the Sunday School. We extend to all a cordial welcome to all our services. Be on time at 10:45 and 7:30. Wm. Fletcher, pastor.

The members of the Freshman class of the high school held a class party at the home of J.E. Darling Tuesday evening. As is usual the freshmen were waylaid by the members of the older classes and a considerable amount of the viands which were meant for the party never reached their intended destination, being foraged by the seniors. Several of the latter made themselves so obnoxious that it was necessary to send for the police but the intruders scattered before the arrival of the officers and one of them in his haste to get away ran against a wire clothes line and is carrying a cut across his nose as a memento of the occasion.

Perry Carter, of former cartoonist of the Minneapolis Tribune, was in Worthington Wednesday and made this office a pleasant call. Mr. Carter is one of the best known cartoonists in the country and will be remembered as the originator of the cartoons which appeared in the old Minneapolis Time under the captions of "Jimmie and His Cat" and "McAdoo's Father-in-law." For the past nine years Mr. Carter has, through the medium of his daily newspaper cartoon, been the means of making the people of the northwest laugh and forget their troubles and he is now doing the same act upon the lyceum platform appearing as a chalk-talk artist.

An interesting aftermath to the blizzard occurred on the farm of J.J. Schecter, jr. Tuesday. Mr. Schecter was unfortunate enough to have several sheep out in the blizzard and found two of them dead when he succeeded in locating them. The rest of the flock were nowhere to be seen, a farm hand suggested that they might be buried under a big drift of snow nearby and added the further statement that in the old country he had known sheep to be buried for weeks at a time and still survive after being dug out. Mr. Schecter acted upon the suggestion and was somewhat surprised to find that the helper's prediction had been correct and several sheep were unearthed apparently unharmed for their five days burial beneath the snow.

Local Intelligence

Dr. P.T. Geyerman was a visitor to Brewster Monday.

S.S. Smith made a business trip to Brewster Tuesday.

Fred Jobin made a business trip to Sioux City Tuesday.

C.E. Sims was a business visitor to Heron Lake Tuesday.

H. Kettlewell, of Windom, was a business visitor Friday.

Mrs. Roy Newman spent Monday with her father at Org.

Gust Olson, of Round Lake, was in the city Monday on business.

Dr. J.N. Gould went to Dundee Monday on professional business.

J.H. Sipes, of Luverne, spent Sunday with Worthington friends.

Neal Leverich spent several days this week with Worthington friends.

J.B. Ludlow, of Rushmore, was in the city Monday on a business errand.

R.C. Smith, of Brewster, was in the city Saturday on a business mission.

Aug. Olson, of Rushmore, was a business visitor to the county seat Monday.

Ralph Anderson, of Org, was the guest last week of his sister, Mrs. Roy Newman.

R.J. Jones, of Reading, was a business visitor to Worthington Tuesday afternoon.

Jesse Hamstreet, of Brewster, spent Sunday with Worthington relatives and friends.

H.W. Larson, of Wilmont, has sold his creamery to H.L. Freeman, of Madison, Minn.

Miss Emma Schroeder, of Rushmore, visited the first of the week with Mrs. J.G. Mitchell.

Miss Jeannette Clark returned Monday from a week's visit with Sioux Falls relatives.

H.A. Gould, who is employed at Windom, spent Monday with his family in this city.

John Falk, of Kimball, S.D., was in the city last week looking after business interests.

Mrs. E.S. Whipke, of Rushmore, was the guest of Worthington friends Monday afternoon.

Paul Freeman, of Slayton, was the guest of Mr. and Mrs. J.S. Frink the first of the week.

Thos. Cunningham, of Brewster, was a business caller at the Advance-Herald office Monday.

W.H. Sutherland and wife, of Heron Lake, spent Friday and Saturday with friends in this city.

John Larson, of St. Peter, visited several days the past week with Worthington relatives.

E.A. Tripp and C.D. Antritter were up from Round Lake Monday night and attended Masonic lodge.

L.A. Smith, of Truman, was in the city on business Friday and was snow-bound until Saturday afternoon.

Mr. and Mrs. Fred Tripp, of Round Lake, spent Sunday with Mrs. Tripp's parents, R.H. Patterson and wife.

Edwin Brickson, cashier of the Adrian State bank, was in Worthington on business Tuesday afternoon.

Sivert Trandall, who was the guest of Dr. B.O. Mork last week, left Thursday for Mandan, N.D., where he will visit for a time.

Mrs. Jessie Scott, of Adrian, was in the city Monday on her way to Melvin, Ia., where she was called by the illness of her mother.

L.M. Shell went up to Minneapolis Sunday night and looked after business interests and visited with friends until Thursday night.

A.M. Becker, Jr., assistant bank examiner, was in the city Monday between trains on his way to St. Paul, after a visit with relatives in Adrian.

The Nobles County Ministerial association met at the residence of Rev. C.O. Swan Monday. Rev. Gibb, of Rushmore, read a paper on "The Pastor's Own Soul Culture."

Lyle Thurber left Tuesday for Medford, Ore., where he expects to take up a timber claim. On his way to his new home he will stop off at various places and visit with friends.

Art Rose and P.D. Moore, who are at present engaged in collecting data for a history of Jackson county, similar to the one recently issued by Mr. Rose for Nobles county, spent Sunday with relatives in this city.

Will Talbert received some samples of Worthington concrete tile Wednesday and if they are a fair sample of the kind of tile they are making there they are certainly putting out a very substantial tile. --Jackson County Times.

D. Behrens ordered bills at this office Monday to advertise his sale which he will hold on the 18th inst. Mr. Behrens sold his farm recently to an Iowa party and will move with his family to Worthington, where he will reside in the future.

Charles Nienaber, the Round Lake banker, arrived in Worthington Sunday morning from a business trip to Canada. He made the balance of the journey to Round Lake afoot, as there were no trains on the Rock Island Sunday.

Fred Jobin has resigned his position with the Worthington Concrete and Tile Co. and will go on the road for a cigar company. Fred has secured a position as state distributor for the Quality Seal Segar, and will devote his time to making the brand popular.

Rev. G.B. Wilder will be at Jackson next week conducting a "Twentieth Century Mission" at the Presbyterian church in that city. Mr. W.R. Menne will go to Jackson several evenings during the week to assist in the song service. --Fairmont Independent.

O.G. Luehrs and family, who have been guests of G.H. Luehrs and family for the past ten days, returned to their homes in Marathon, Ia., Monday.

Miss Martha Lempke returned to her home in Paullina, Ia., Monday after an extended visit with Worthington relatives.

The young son of John Scott, living east of Round Lake, was operated upon Saturday at the Weidow & Mork hospital. Some time ago the little fellow sustained a dislocation of the shoulder and complications set in which made it necessary to perform a slight operation.

Dr. O.C. Selby left Monday night for Ortonville, Minn., where he will locate for the practice of veterinary medicine and surgery. "Doc." is a young man of ability in his chosen profession and we can cordially recommend him both socially and professionally to the citizens of Ortonville and vicinity.

Miss Elva Chrysler, of Sibley, who has quite a large class in music in this city, will soon leave for Chicago to resume the study of music. Miss Chrysler will leave as soon as the present term in completed. She is a capable instructor and an estimable young lady, and her many friends here will regret her departure.

Drs. Weidow & Mork got caught in the blizzard last Thursday night and were compelled to take a vacation of two days. The doctors had been out east of the city attending a surgical case and had started upon the return journey when the storm struck them and they were compelled to seek shelter for themselves and team at a farm house.

Sheriff Fauskee last Saturday made Martin Finnerty, of this city, his deputy for the current term of the sheriff's incumbency of his office. Martin has held this deputyship for many years and during all that time has made good and Sheriff Fauskee is to be congratulated on securing his able aid in this section of the county. --Ellsworth News.

FOR RENT -- 80-acre farm two miles northwest of Worthington court house; six room house, cistern, well, windmill, twenty acres plowed, twenty acres corn stalks; pasture, hay land, good fence. Recently sold for $70 per acre. Owner, L.A. Wanamaker, Estherville, Iowa, would like to rent same for $3 per acre. D. Behrens, route 3, Worthington, Minn.

J.F. Green called at the Advance-Herald office Monday and ordered bills printed advertising a sale which he will hold on the 17th inst. Frank has rented his farm to Gust Wahl for the next two years and will move to Worthington to reside. Mr. Green has one of the best herds of dairy cattle in the county which he will sell at this sale, and farmers wanting good dairy cows should attend this sale.

Henry Nissen, a farmer residing about ten miles south of town, has reason to be thankful to the neighbors in his vicinity. Saturday morning, when the thermometer was hovering around the 15 below zero mark, the discovery was made that his house was on fire. He dispatched a son on horseback to the home of a neighbor for assistance, which was promptly forthcoming, and the flames were extinguished before they had gained much headway.

Miss Jennie Styker, residing about fourteen miles east of town, submitted to the amputation of the index finger of the right hand last Thursday. The operation is the result of a felon, which had corroded the artery, causing a severe hemorrhage, and the felon had made such rapid headway that it was necessary to remove the finger. The operation was performed at the home of the young lady's parents, and she is getting along nicely at this writing.

Minnesota people who go to California and other mild climates sometimes wish they were back in the good old gopher state, or at least yearn for some of our invigorating atmosphere. The Advance-Herald received a remittance this week from C.F. Palm, a former Worthington boy, but now living at Marysville, Cal., and in the letter accompanying the remittance says: "We have no cold weather here, but rain. Oh, Lord! It started raining the first of last November and has never let up since. Six days in the week it pours down and the seventh it rains to beat the d----. A month or so of your Minnesota winter would suit me first rate just now."

The work of collecting the data for the history of Jackson county was begun in earnest this week. Mr. A.P. Rose, the author of the history of Nobles county, and an early settler of Worthington, arrived Tuesday, accompanied by Mr. F.B. Duster, until recently editor of the Worthington Globe, and P.D. Moore, formerly night editor of the Sioux Falls Press, but for the last year engaged in historical work with Mr. Rose. These gentlemen are now busily engaged in gathering facts which will be used in writing the history. If the history of Jackson county is to be prepared with the care and thoroughness that was used in Mr. Rose's history of Nobles county -- and we have every assurance that it will be -- it will certainly be a valuable publication and one that should be in every home in Jackson county. From Nobles county come nothing but the best reports of Mr. Rose and his work. The history of Nobles county gave entire satisfaction to its subscribers and nearly all unite in the statement that it is the best local history they ever saw. The Pilot takes pleasure in announcing that the work of compiling the history of Jackson county has been begun and wishes the best of success for Mr. Rose and his associates. --Jackson Pilot.


Walter Anderson journeyed to Fulda Wednesday.

M. McGlin was up from Lakefield Wednesday.

Mrs. Gilson and son, Lyle, made a trip to Fulda Wednesday.

Liveryman Lyon, of Dundee, was seen on our streets Monday.

George McMurty, of Lakefield, was calling on G.R. VanDike Tuesday.

Mrs. F.E. Ridgeway took train No. 1 to Fulda Tuesday, returning on No. 8.

Wm. Lockner came up Wednesday to be present at the meeting of the bank directors.

Stockman Dobreiner, of Fulda, was taking in cattle and hogs at this point on Thursday.

Mrs. Jo. Busch, who has been absent from home for some time, returned Wednesday.

N.S. Nelson and Sam Kliffgard attended a sale northeast of Brewster Wednesday.

I.H. Brigger was initiated into the mysteries of woodcraft Saturday evening by the local camp.

Tuesday Andrew Olson and A.R. Schmidt, both of Dundee, were transacting business in our bailiwick.

Ole Johnson was here Monday on business pertaining to his line, which was to repair a gasoline engine.

Among the windmills wrecked by Thursday night's storm were those of Mr. Hamilton, Fred Weirauch, Pete West and Adolph Berry.

The directors of the Kinbrae State Bank held a meeting Wednesday to confer with contractor Wm. Lockner and to accept the bank building.

J.B. Girvin had the misfortune to lose about $18.00 worth of turkeys Thursday night. They were blown from their perch and perished in the snow and cold.

Fred Cook, insurance inspector for the Miller's National Insurance Co., Michigan Miller's Mutual Fire Insurance Co. and the Ohio Miller's Mutual Fire Insurance Co., was inspecting his companies' risks in this village Thursday.

Tuesday evening Lorenz Dobreiner shipped a car of hogs from here to the Chicago market and C.E. Harding a car of fat cattle to the same place. The cattle were a fine bunch and will make good beef for somebody.

Friday, February 12, 1909

C.R. West, the Brewster Banker, Succumbs After a Week's Illness.

Christopher R. West, cashier of the Brewster bank, and one of the heaviest property owners of the county, died at his home in Brewster last Thursday night from appoplexy, after an illness of about a week, aged 46 years, 4 months and 12 days.

Mr. West's right name was Oleson, but in 1882 he took the name of West owing to mail complications. He was born in Marshall county, Iowa, October 23, 1882, where he grew to young manhood, securing his education in the district schools and later spent one year at the Friend's Academy, at LeGrand, Iowa, after which he took a course in a business college at Sioux City.

In 1902, Mr. West came to Brewster and entered the banking business and has since been engaged as cashier of the Brewster State Bank, and was largely interested in the political welfare of the village, having served as mayor, village recorder and a member of the school board. He has also held a political position in O'Brien county, Iowa, having served a two year term as treasurer of the county, a few years prior to coming to this county.

May 10, 1887, Mr. West was united in marriage at Paullina, Iowa, to Miss Jennie Crosbie, who with at [an] adopted son, Theodore, and a host of friends are left to mourn his loss.

The funeral services were held Sunday from his late residence and were attended by a vast concourse of sorrowing friends.


Marriage license was issued Wednesday to George Klessig and Venus Eshelmann both of Reading.

Rev. Wm. Fletcher last week received the degree of Ph. B. from the Washington University, Washington, D.C.

Alfred Earle, who was operated upon for appendicitis at the Worthington hospital a couple of weeks ago was discharged from the hospital Wednesday afternoon.

H.M. Steibick, pastor of the Christian church of Rock Rapids, Iowa, will preach in the A.O.U.W. hall next Sunday morning and evening. All are cordially invited.

The reserved seat sale for Dr. Edw. W. Lanham's lecture, "The World's Battlegroun[d]," the sixth number of the Worthington Lyceum course, next Tuesday night, will open at Morland's drugstore, Monday morning at ten o'clock.

Dan Nystrom returned home Thursday morning from a visit to the twin cities. Dan started home Tuesday morning, leaving Minneapolis at 9:30, but was laid out enroute on account of the blizzard and got in here about 2 a.m. yesterday, but in spite of the tedious journey he reports a fine time.

Friends Surprised Her

Wednesday, February 3rd, was the seventeenth birthday of Miss Margaret Loveland and the fact was remembered by about twenty of her friends in the nature of a surprise party. She was taken completely unawares and consequently the surprise was complete. The young folks enjoyed themselves with games and music, and Mrs. Chas. Loveland and Mrs. Edw. Johnson served an oyster supper that helped to keep up the spirit of the occasion. At a late hour the young folks regretfully took their departure, wishing Miss Margaret many happy returns of the day.

Local Intelligence

J.A. Gregory was a Sunday visitor from Adrian.

Ross Nelson spent Sunday with Omaha friends.

Wm. Burchard made a business trip to Sibley Friday.

Mrs. W.C. Carr spent Saturday with friends in Sioux City.

Gus Rudquist called on friends in Bigelow township last week.

Mrs. A.P. Dickens spent last week with relatives in Heron Lake.

Miss Mildred Lewis spent Sunday with her parents in Wilmont.

M.S. Boyle, of Adrian, was calling on Worthington friends Friday.

"Dick" Manuel, of Brewster, called on Worthington friends Sunday.

R.H. Wick, of Bigelow, was transacting business in this city Friday.

M.C. Carlson and wife, of Magnolia, spent Sunday with Worthington friends.

H.J. Ruprecht, of Bigelow, was a visitor to the county metropolis Monday.

Mrs. J. Suddaby went to Sioux City Saturday afternoon for an over Sunday visit.

E.S. Wemple, of Rushmore, was a business caller at the county seat Saturday.

W.C. Wyatt, of Bigelow, was a business visitor to the county seat Monday.

Mrs. Frank Thompson, of Rushmore, was the guest of friends in this city Saturday.

Carl Nelson, of Armour, S.D., was a business visitor to Worthington last Saturday.

Miss Inez Creighton, of Mitchell, S.D., was the guest over Sunday of Miss Ella Horton.

Dr. W.J. Dodge returned home Saturday from a two weeks' visit with St. Paul friends.

Misses Hattie and Lottie Bedient attended the masquerade ball at Bigelow Saturday night.

F.D. Mitchell, jr., left Monday for Brewster where he has accepted a position in the bank.

Rev. G.G. Schmid went to Pipestone Monday, where he will assist in a series of revival meetings.

Miss Maud Anderson, of Adrian spent several days last week with her sister, Mrs. Ivan Erickson.

C.W. Person, of Estherville, Iowa, was looking after business interests in Nobles county Friday.

A.J. Fauskee, the barber was laid up several days in the past week, suffering from rheumatism.

Lost - Watch charm with initials H.C.P. engraved thereon. Finder return to this office for reward.

Mrs. V.E. Butler returned to her home in Heron Lake Saturday after a visit with Mrs. E.L. Gilette.

F.L. Kieth, Reading's popular grocer and restaurant keeper, was a business visitor to this city Monday.

Dr. W.A. Saxton returned Saturday afternoon from Mankato, where he has been taking osteopathic treatment.

James Cummings, of Preston, Minn., spent several days with relatives and friends in Worthington and Rushmore.

The W.C.T.U. will meet Friday afternoon, February 19th, from three to four o'clock, with Mrs. Will Humiston.

Mrs. A.F. Dring returned home Monday from a two months' sojourn at Richland Center, Wis., the guest of friends.

Messrs. C.B. Ward and Oscar F. Blood went to St. Paul Monday on business connected with the National guards.

J.H. West, who is in charge of the electric light plant at Hartley, Iowa, was renewing acquaintances in this city Sunday.

Editor J.C. Johnson, of the Lismore Leader was a business visitor to the county seat Monday and paid this office a pleasant call.

Mrs. H.A. Bassett, of Rushmore, was in the city between trains Saturday on her return trip from a visit with her son at St. Paul.

Mrs. George Marsh, of Sheldon, was in the city Monday between trains on her way home from a visit with relatives at Reading.

Miss Emma Nelson, of Jackson, arrived in the city last Wednesday and will assist her brother, Nels N. Nelson, in conducting his restaurant.

Dr. H. Weidow was in Sibley Monday, where he was called into consultation with Dr. H. Neal in the illness of Seth Meader, who is in a critical condition.

Rev. W.F. Schwimley, of Sibley, was in the city Monday, on his way to Doone, Iowa, where he is conducting a series of revival meetings in the Congregational church.

A large congregation was present at both the morning and evening services at the Presbyterian church last Sunday. Rev. Jennings, the new minister, delivered two excellent sermons.

Miss Rose Becker went up to Brewster Sunday and accompanied her sister, Miss Marguerite, back to Worthington, while the latter made her usual Sunday visit to her mother.

Thos. Hildyard, of Currie, Minn., was the guest this week of his brother, G.B. Hildyard and family. He had been down in Iowa on a visit and stopped off here on his return journey.

Rev. Wm. Fletcher received a post card this week, which he prizes very highly. It is a picture in colors of the Temple at Jerusalem and was sent by a friend who is sojourning in the Holy Land.

Rev. Lundholm, who attended a church meeting at Worthington, did not get home Sunday afternoon on account of the storm. He got back Sunday evening. --St. James Journal-Gazette.

Mrs. Bessie Lathe Scoville, state president of the W.C.T.U. will lecture in the Methodist church Friday evening, February 26th at 8 o'clock. Everybody is cordially invited to be present and hear this lecture.

Bro. Hinchon, editor of the Madelia Times-Messenger has recently taken unto himself a wife. Congratulations! May your days of happiness be without number and those of sorrow as few and far between as July blizzards.

Mrs. Oscar Malmquist, of Rushmore, returned home Monday from a short visit with her son, Warner, at Wilder. She was joined here by her daughter, Miss Clara, who spent Sunday with friends in Indian Lake township.

W.A. McKinney, the genial messenger on the Sioux Falls branch is taking a lay-off. "Mac" has been having difficulty with that troublesome little part of his anatomy, known as the appendix and will remain quiet until he secures relief.

P.D. Moore, who is assisting A.P. Rose with the compilation of the history of Jackson county, has gone to housekeeping at Jackson. Mr. Rose expected to move his family and household goods Tuesday, but the blizzard prevented.

George Bonde and wife, of Reading, spent a few hours with Worthington friends Saturday. Mr. Bonde was on his way to Webster City, Iowa, where he was engaged as auctioneer at a big three-day stock sale, and Mrs. Bonde accompanied him.

Nels N. Nelson, who recently purchased the Thurber restaurant, has made a number of decided improvements in his place. He has among other things added a dining room and will serve regular meals as well as short orders. He has an ad in this issue, which tells the story and is well worth considering.

While the train was tied up near Worthington last week during the blizzard, C.F. McLain, of Sioux City, shot an eagle which measured seven feet and eight inches between the tips of the wings. The owner has refused $100.00 for it. He is a taxidermist and took the bird to his shop in Sioux City where it will be mounted. --Lake Park News.

FOR RENT: -- 80 acre farm 2 miles N.W. from Worthington; 6 room house, 2 barns, hog house, wind mill, well fenced, 12 acres plowed, 20 acres corn stalks, pasture hog land. Will rent for $225.00 cash, or customary terms on shares. Address owner, S.A. Wanamaker, Estherville, Iowa, or D. Behrens, Worthington, Minn.

Mrs. Lynne, sister of T.H. Bloxham, died at Sheldon, Iowa, Wednesday morning. Mr. Bloxham left for Sheldon Wednesday afternoon on the first train and was in attendance at the funeral.

John Carlson, of Indian Lake township, was unfortunate enough to have a load of hay upon which he was riding upset with him Monday afternoon, precipitting (sic) him to the ground in such a manner as to cause a partial fracture the left wrist. He came to Worthington where he received the necessary surgical care.

Postmaster General Meyer has announced that a new two-cent stamp has been issued in commemoration of the 100th anniversary of Abraham Lincoln's birth. The stamps are of the same color as the regular two-cent stamps, but instead of Washington's they will contain Lincoln's picture. One hundred million of them have been printed and will be distributed among the various postoffices of the country before the end of the month.

Euchre Parties

Mrs. A.R. Alburtus entertained twenty-four lady friends at euchre Wednesday afternoon. A dainty luncheon was served by the hostess and the afternoon was greatly enjoyed by all present.

Mrs. G.W. Roth was hostess for a six-table "military" euchre party on Monday afternoon, and those present were utterly unmindful of the blizzard which was raging outside in the enjoyment of the pastime. An elaborate luncheon was served and when it came time for departure all were loaded into busses and reached home without any serious inconvenience.

Friday, February 19, 1909

New Millinery Store

Miss Susie Coggins, of St. Paul, has rented the room recently vacated by H.S. Hobson, next to Herbert's drug store, and will open a new millinery store. Miss Coggins was in the city completing arrangements on Tuesday, and returned to St. Paul to purchase stock, fixtures, etc., and will open for business as soon as some improvements upon the interior of the building can be completed.

Manuel - Salstrom

A pretty home wedding took place Thursday night at the home of the bride's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Nels Salstrom, at which time Richard Manuel, of Brewster, and Miss Selma Salstrom took the vows that united them in the bonds of matrimony, Rev. Heathcote, of Brewster, performing the ceremony in the presence of the family.

Could Not Get There

Misses Wanda Jones, Grace Collins, Nina Stone, Emma Milbroth, Wilma Wood, composing the girls basketball team from Lakefield, accompanied by W.J.C. Giberson and Misses Vera Thompson and Adelaide Eder, of Lakefield and Miss Slade of Adrian, arrived in the city Friday afternoon on their way to Adrian, where they expected to engage in a contest with the girls' team of that city, but owing to the wreck on the branch, there were no trains running and they were compeled to stay over night in Worthington. The players were very much disappointed, but there was no way out of it, so they registered at the Worthington and made the best of the situation. The party returned to Lakefield Saturday morning.


E.J. Jones visited with Adrian relatives Wednesday.

Miss Flora Buchan is spending a few days with Luverne friends.

A. Light, of Sioux Falls, was in the city on business yesterday.

Mrs. Congdon is ill with pneumonia at her home in Clary addition.

James Mackay made a business trip to Cherokee, Iowa, Wednesday.

Nic Casereto, of Sibley, spent Wednesday with his brother, J. Casereto.

A.E. Hart is making a visit to St. Louis and the eastern markets purchase goods for Hart & Co.

Robert Reed this week received his appointment as deputy oil inspector for Nobles county. Mr. Reed has served in this capacity for two terms and has made an efficient officer.

Miss Carrie Bachtel of the Worthington schools, had the pleasure of hearing the addresses of President Elliott, of Harvard University and Prof. Northrop of the State University at Minneapolis last week.

Dr. J.B. Trimble, of Kansas City, is expected to conduct a Laymen's Missionary convention at the Methodist church Friday and Saturday, February 26 and 27. It is expected that there will be several speakers.

John Gowire, who held ticket No. 1342 at our drawing on the Dressed Doll last December is hereby notified to call for same at once. If same is not claimed before February 25th, another drawing will be held and the doll award to the holder of the lucky number, as it appears on our book used during former drawing.  --The Variety Store.

The Sunshine Club was unable to meet with Mrs. S.W. Sprouse on the 4th inst. owing to the illness of the daughter of the hostess, but Mrs. Sprouse will entertain the club on March 4th. In the event of her inability to do so, Mrs. Jens Christensen will act as hostess and the oyster dinner which the club has been anticipating since the first of the year is assured for that date.

February Term of Court.

The February term of the district court is in session this week, but as there is a small docket it will probably be cleaned up before the end of the week.

The cases of C.H. Hopwood vs. W.C. Wyatt et al and C. Synkerson vs. J.F. Ullrich et ux. were settled and dismissed and that of J.S. Firth vs. Bartholdi Smith was continued until next term.

The grand jury returned an indictment against Edward Eberhart for forgery and when arraigned the defendant entered a plea of guilty, but has not as yet been sentenced.

A verdict for the plaintiff was given in the case of C.M. Davis vs. George Irving and judgement entered in the sum of $272.25. A similar verdict was rendered in the action of Wm. Deering Co. vs. James Mitchell and judgment given for $278.23.

At this writing (Thursday afternoon) the case of Weaver vs. Weaver is occupying the attention of the court.

Local Intelligence

Ole Johnson, of Org, was in the city on business Tuesday.

Arba Bedford spent Sunday with his parents in Rushmore.

J.S. Frink was a business visitor to Heron Lake Tuesday.

W.R. Faragher, of Adrian, was in the city this week on jury duty.

P.C. Rose, of Bigelow, was a business caller in Worthington Friday.

Gus Swanberg, of the Hub, made a business trip to the twin cities Tuesday.

T.H. Barclay, of Magnolia, was a business visitor to this city Monday.

Wm. Busch, of Brewster, paid a business call to the county seat Monday.

Melvin Hovey, of Rushmore, was in the city on a business mission Tuesday.

John F. Flynn returned Monday from an extended business trip to Oregon.

Carl Strock, of Luverne, was mingling with Worthington friends Sunday.

Miss Hannah Nelson left Monday for Windom, where she has accepted a position.

Julius Leudtke, was a business visitor to Worthington Saturday from Rushmore.

George Henderson, of Brewster, made a business trip to Worthington Saturday.

W.A. McKinney returned Wednesday morning from a visit with friends in Iowa.

Martin and John Heinrich were business visitors to this city from Wilmont Friday.

Mrs. Willie Maxwell, of Sibley was the guest of Mrs. E.J. Helmick a few days this week.

Mrs. H.W. Doolittle, of New York City, is the guest of Mrs. George W. Wilson this week.

Rev. and Mrs. Ira Alvord are happy over the arrival of a daughter born to them last Sunday.

Miss Ollie Mardy, of Edgerton, Minn., is the guest of Mrs. George Weidmann this week.

A.J. Olund, the auctioneer, went to Bigelow Tuesday on business connected with his sales business.

R.B. Plotts has been under the weather the past week owing to a severe nasal hemorrhage.

New spring hats are now on display at Sterling Bros.

Born -- Saturday night to Mr. and Mrs. O.H. Nystrom, of Bigelow township, a thirteen pound boy.

Miss Nora Klessig returned to Bigelow Monday, after a few days' visit with Worthington friends.

Miss Helen Ludlow spent a few days last week with her brother, J.B. Ludlow, and family at Rushmore.

J.F. Fitzgerald, of Palermo, Cal,. arrived in the city last week for a visit with his brother, J. Fitzgerald.

A baby girl took up here [her] home with Louis Meirs and wife, on the Harvey Rew farm last Saturday, February 13th.

C.A. Brown, Edw. Lindsay, A.T. Ray and Clarence Lindsay were up from Ocheyedan, Ia., on business Saturday.

Conductor Harvey Hinton, of the Sioux Falls line, is quite ill at his home in this city from an attack of pneumonia.

Miss Isabelle Lee returned to her home in Jackson Saturday morning after a two weeks' visit with Miss Martha Wicks.

Miss Lizzie Swanson, of Worthington's efficient corps of teachers, went to Mankato Friday for a short visit with her parents.

Miss Mabel Kunzman went to Org Tuesday where she will resume her duties as teacher, after an interruption from the blizzard.

Miss Zilla Davidson, of Luverne, was in the city a few hours Saturday on her way through to Madelia for a visit with friends.

Rev. Gust. Johnson, of Winthrop, will preach in the Swedish mission church on Tuesday, and Wednesday evenings of next week.

T.A. Voss, of Bigelow, was in the city Friday on business.

Jack Sullivan, of Adrian, was snowbound in the city Friday.

Misses Kate Popkes, Marie Von Behren, Martha Luedtke and Marguerite Becker, of Brewster, were Worthington callers Tuesday afternoon.

The meeting announced by Rev. C.M. Johnson to be held in the Robinson school house next Sunday afternoon has been postponed until Sunday afternoon, March 7th.

Mesdames Hawley & Suddaby have greatly improved the appearance of their millinery store by painting and papering and now have one of the neatest places in town.

I.F. Kelley and family were snowbound at Lake Park last week, arriving home Saturday afternoon. Mr. Kelley left again Monday for a business trip to Sioux Falls.

A.E. Caldwell, of the Beaver Creek Banner, formerly editor of the Globe of this city, announces in the last issue of the Banner, that he will sever his connection with the paper with that issue.

O.H. Nystrom has rented his Bigelow township farm to Lars Olson and will move to Worthington about March 1st to make his home. He will hold a public sale of his personal property on the 25th inst.

Mrs. J.M. Addington went to St. Paul Monday as a delegate to the grand lodge of the Degree of Honor, which met in that city this week. Mrs. Addington will also visit with friends in the twin cities.

Marriage licenses were granted this week to Richard Manuel and Selma Salstrom, William Gordon and Clara Felt, John Maxwell and Mary Bullerman. The last named couple are residents of Adrian.

Mr. and Mrs. Stanley Moore entertained the Whist club at the Worthington hotel Monday evening, twelve being present. An elaborate seven o'clock supper was served and a general good time enjoyed by those present.

Miss Kindlund last week sold her millinery store to Misses Aurelia Bahlke and Jessie Johnson. The new proprietors are St. Paul ladies and a sign on the store announces that the place will be open for business March 8th.

The Rt. Rev. S.C. Edsall, D.D., bishop of the diocese of Minnesota, will preach and officiate in St. John's Episcopal church, Friday evening, March 5. At this time also the rite of confirmation will be administered.

For Sale --Good young draft horses, 20 to select from; 20 good young milch [milk] cows, fresh or soon to be fresh and a few Poland China boar pigs. Stock guaranteed to be as represented. --T.C. Thanning, Kinbrae, Minn.

Owing to the storm the public sale advertised by J.F. Green, section 8, Worthington township, which was to have taken place Wednesday of this week, has been postponed until Wednesday, March 3, commencing at 10 o'clock a.m.

E.A. Tripp, of Round Lake, was in the city Tuesday on his way to the meeting of the grand lodge of the A.O.U.W., which is in session in Minneapolis this week. Owing to the snow-blockade on the Rock Island Mr. Tripp was compelled to walk to Worthington to catch the train.

A Rock Island engine got stuck in a drift and afforded some diversion for passengers at the Omaha depot who were waiting for trains Tuesday after noon, as the accident occurred directly opposite the depot. Another engine was summoned and pulled the stranded engine loose from the snow bank.

Guy Smith last week shipped his household goods to South Dakota, where he will reside in the future. Guy Trowbridge, a brother of Mrs. Smith, was over from Magnolia assisting the family in packing and moving. Mrs. Smith will visit with her parents at Magnolia until Mr. Smith can get things settled in the new home.

The cut south of town was the cause of a great deal of annoyance to the Omaha during last week's blizzard. As fast as the snow plow got through removing the snow the cut would fill up again. Even after the rotary passed through the same condition occurred. A special on the branch left Saturday morning but got stuck in the cut, and it was necessary to send a crew of men with shovels to dig the train out.

F.E. Eggleston met with an accident Saturday evening which, fortunately, ended without any serious results. In returning from the Rock Island train with a bus full of passengers in some way the bus was overturned, breaking the windows in one side of the cab. After the passengers had succeeded in crawling out, it was found that the little daughter of I.F. Kelley had received a slight cut from the broken glass, but was not seriously injured. The accident was unavoidable, being caused by the immense drifts which obstructed the road, making driving a precarious occupation.

Ole Swanson, local manager for the Tuthill Lumber company, was in Sioux Falls February 3, 4 and 5, and was in attendance at the annual meeting and banquet given by the firm to the managers of their various branches. The object of the meeting, of course, is to get in closer touch with their employes and to promote a more intimate business relationship, but there is also a social function that is eagerly looked forward to by both employer and employe, and that is the annual banquet. The banquet this year was held at the Cataract hotel in Sioux Falls on Thursday evening, February 4, and the feast included everything that could possibly be designed to refresh the inner man, to which all did ample justice. Mr. Swanson reports a most enjoyable time.

Messrs. Boddy & Mott, of the Grand theater, have inaugurated an attractive feature which appeals to the lady patrons of the popular playhouse. Each Wednesday evening they purpose giving away two elegant dishes, one large and one small, to the lady patron who is fortunate enough to hold the lucky ticket. The method of drawing is a trifle out of the ordinary also, and is conducted as follows: Whenever a lady purchases a ticket of admission her name is written on the reverse side of the ticket and these are then kept separate from the other admissions and on Wednesday evening the total for the week are place din a box and the drawing takes place. The first ticket out secures the large dish and the next one entitles the party, whose name is written thereon to the smaller dish. The successful ones last week were Mrs. G.H. Luehrs and Mrs. K.V. Mitchell.

Conductor Ed Horton had his troubles during the blizzard. On the return trip from Mitchell he ran afoul of a huge snowbank near Brandon, S.D., and could not move either way, and it is reported that he and his crew were compelled to shovel snow into the tender in order to supply water to keep up steam in the engine. Thursday afternoon he arrived in Worthington none the worse for his experience and started on his regular run Friday morning. Evidently the engine remembered the former experience at Brandon, because at Manley crossing it decided to desert the Omaha and jumped from the latter's tracks and started out on the Great Northern right of way. However, the rest of the train refused to follow, and the result was a slight wreck which delayed traffic on the branch. The wrecking crew started out to his relief, but had difficulty to get through the cut south of town near the viaduct, and added to the delay. However, after several hours' hard work the wrecker succeeded in getting through the cut and in a short time had matters straightened out.

Death of John E. Johnson

John E. Johnson succumbed last Thursday to the dread white plague, tuberculosis, at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Fred Johnson, at Org, after a lingering fight covering a period of two or three years, aged 31 years and 28 days.

John E. Johnson was born in Jentland, Sweden, January 13th, 1878, and came to this country in his youth with his parents. He was unmarried, but at the time of his death he was engaged to a young lady at Windom, and his fiancÚ had the sad experience of wearing her nuptial garments to his funeral which took place Saturday afternoon, Rev. Wm. Fletcher, of the Worthington Congregational church officiating.

The young man had a host of friends both in Org and throughout the county who will join with his parents and brother and sisters in mourning his early demise.

Card of Thanks

We herewith tender our heartfelt thanks to the neighbors and friends who by their many acts of kindness and words of sympathy extended to us during our late bereavement in the loss of our son and brother, made the blow less severe.  --Fred Johnson and family.


(Intended for last week, but delayed on account of the blizzard.)

Maurice Ronan spent Sunday with relatives at Worthington.

F.L. Kieth was a business visitor to the county seat Monday.

Quite a number from this section attended the Jantzi sale Monday.

Godward Klessig interviewed acquaintances at Worthington Monday.

Herman Frey, of Melvin, Iowa, was an over Sunday visitor at the home of J.G. Buse.

Lena Beilke came over from Rushmore Saturday to spend Sunday with her parents.

R.J. Williams and sister, Mrs. Hagberg, were at Worthington between trains Saturday.

A.R. Beilke has just completed his annual invoice and is now receiving his spring stock of dry goods.

A sister of Mrs. F.L. Keith arrived from Hartley, Monday, and will assist in the restaurant for while.

Henry Loger was in town Saturday and while here purchased a fine span of brood mares from Ronan Bros.

Little George Baird, who underwent a surgical operation on one of his ears, is rapidly regaining his usual state of health.

The public sale of A.J. Reemtsma , held last Friday was a decided success, everything offered bringing a good round price.

Chas. Kuhl returned home Monday from his Chicago trip. He got back just in time to get the full benefit of the blizzard.

W.M. Cline returned from his Iowa trip Saturday, coming in response to a message announcing the illness of two of his children.

J.F. Cass was a business visitor to Rock Rapids the latter part of last week. He has in view the purchase of some property in that place.

Geo. Bonde and wife left Saturday for Story City, Iowa, for a few days' visit with relatives, while Mr. Bonde attends to some business matters.

This place was without any mail train Tuesday and we are advised that none will be run until the snow-plow will have cleared the road of drifts.

W.A. Wahl is still suffering from a severe attack of pneumonia, but at this writing is somewhat improved. His many friends hope for a speedy recovery.

The ladies aid society gave an oyster supper at the home of Mrs. Mactier, near town Friday evening of last week. The attendance was good and the ladies realized a neat sum from the affair.

Sunday being the twenty-fourth birthday of W.J. Bulick, his mother invited a number of friends and neighbors as well as relatives to a birthday dinner at her home. About twenty-five were present.

On Sunday, Rev. d'Argent gave notice that he would preach his farewell sermon Sunday evening Feb. 21. We learn that he expects to spend some time in Fairmont, after which he expects to go to England.

Tuesday morning ushered in another old-fashioned blizzard which lasted well into the night. A heavy fall of snow during the day made things more lively and Wednesday morning found many snow-banks ten feet in height. The roads were impassable owing to the heavy drifts. We have not heard of any loss of stock in this neighborhood.

'Ere these items reach the readers, the ceremony that unites Miss Venus Eshelman and George F. Klessig, in the bonds of matrimony will have been performed, the event to take place Wednesday evening, at the home of the bride, in Elk township. We will try to obtain full particulars for the next issue.

Elk News

Andrew Finck has been laid up for some time with blood poison in his left hand.

Miss Emma Hocker has visited at the Pfiel home south of Worthington this week.

Mrs. Vest Thompson and daughter, Mildred, have been visiting Mrs. Thompson's sister, Mrs. Scott, at Bigelow, the past week.

Another blizzard swept this section last Tuesday. Everybody thought the storm of January 29th a bad one, but all unite in expressing the view that the second one was much worse.

The roads were so badly blockaded that Mr. Davis, rural mail carrier on Route 5, was not able to get over his route from Monday to Saturday, and then he was only able to comver half the route, taking the other half on Monday.

Married -- Wednesday evening, February 10th, at six o'clock at the home of the bride's parents, Mr. and Mrs. A.F. Eshelmann, of Elk, Miss Venus Eshelmann and Mr. George Klessig, of Reading. The young folks will make their home in Reading, where the groom is the proprietor of the livery barn and carrier on the rural mail route. Mr. and Mrs. Klessig are both well known and highly respected in this vicinity and have the best wishes of their many friends for a long, happy and prosperous married life.

Org Observations

Ole Warren, of Trousedale, Iowa, attended the funeral of his cousin, John E. Johnson.

Albert Warren, of Idaho Springs, Colo., called on relatives at Rushmore last Tuesday, returning on Wednesday.

Freight train No. 29 was held here nearly all day Tuesday because the engine was derailed by snow and an open switch.

Mrssrs. Donald and Ted Savage and sister, Eliza, returned to their homes in Windom last Sunday after a short visit with friends at this place.

Jodie and George Anderson returned from Chicago last Saturday morning. George has been gone several months visiting with relatives and friends.

Miss Mabel Kunzman returned to her school duties in Dist. No. 80 last Tuesday. She has been sick for a few days, therefore did not have any school on Monday.

School has been closed in District No. 28 for the past few days on account of the teacher, Benjamin Hildyard, being sick with the measles. It is hoped that he will soon be able to be around again.

Once more the grim messenger of death has entered our midst and taken away a beloved form in the person of John E. Johnson, who passed away at one o'clock a.m., February 11th. The relatives and friends have the sympathy of the whole community in their loss.

Friday, February 26, 1909


Lent began on Wednesday.

Look up the ad of A.T. Latta. It will interest you.

The regular meeting of the Yeoman lodge will be held Monday evening, March 1st.

Marriage licenses were issued this week to Wm. C. Erwin and Leila Helms, William Dahlheim and May Kimmell, all of Nobles county.

P.H. Brown, formerly in the hardware business in this city, but now residing in St. Paul, is renewing acquaintances in this city.

Messrs. L.H. Gray and P.J. Nelson, of the Gray-Nelson Hardware Co., were in the twin cities this week on business connected with their store.

H.M. Streibick, of the Christian church, of Rock Rapids, Ia., will preach in the A.O.U.W. hall next Sunday morning and evening. All are invited.

G.W. Moeller, formerly assistant cashier of the Worthington State bank, came up from Harris, Iowa, Saturday for an over Sunday visit with friends and relatives. Mr. Moeller is now employed by the Harris Savings bank.

Jacob Reis, author and lecturer, spent Wednesday night in Worthington. Mr. Reis was enroute from Sioux Falls to Red Wing, Minn., where he was billed to lecture, but was detained on account of the blockade occasioned by the snow storm.

The "Mad March Hare" will entertain at the Saxon school house, Indian Lake, on Friday evening, March 5th. Ladies will bring lunch and a trinket to be sold with it. Entertainment provided for all. Everybody welcome, Hilda M. Nelson, teacher.

F.C. Brace, the jeweler, had the misfortune to lose about $30 worth of fine hand-printed Pickard china last Thursday. In some manner the fixtures supporting the curtain at the window in which they were displayed, became loose and let one end of the curtain down shattering the fragile ware. Had the heavy curtain come down altogether the damage would have amounted to a great deal more, as several expensive pieces of ware escaped which otherwise would have been broken.

Union Meeting Well Attended

The union meeting held at the Methodist church last Sunday night was attended by an immense congregation, the vast auditorium and gallery being crowded to such an extent that it was necessary to throw open the Sunday School room. Mrs. Bessie Lay Scovell, state president of the W.C.T.U., was present and addressed the meeting and an awakened interest in the temperance movement was the result. Mrs. Scovell also addressed the ladies of the W.C.T.U. at the home of Mrs. Ray Humiston on Saturday afternoon. She is an interesting and entertaining talker and is thoroughly conversant with her subject.

Doings in Worthington Society for the Week

Despite the blizzards and inclement weather conditions, there has been considerable activity in Worthington society during the past week.

Mrs. E.K. Smith entertained Monday afternoon at a Washington's birthday luncheon. The dining room and parlor were tastily decorated with the national colors and place cards bore two handsomely lithographed American flags, while an artificial cherry tree in the center of the dining table completed the decorations and added a unique feature to the pretty luncheon. About twenty-five ladies enjoyed the hospitality of the hostess, and the elaborate luncheon was daintily served by Misses Julia Town and Bernice Weidman.

Mrs. Smith will again entertain this afternoon at "Military Cinch."


N.H. Elliott and family, residing three and one-half miles west of Worthington, will remove to Round Lake as soon as the weather will permit, and a number of their friends tendered them a farewell surprise party on Saturday night. About fifty guests were present and a bounteous repast was served, and the evening spent in music and social intercourse, the guests departing at a late hour wishing Mr. Elliott and family much happiness and prosperity in their new home.

On Tuesday last at the noon hour, Mrs. Robt. Smith tendered a dinner in honor of Miss Flora Buchan, and twelve ladies were present to pay honor to both hostess and Miss Buchan, the latter being presented with a beautiful hand-painted dish as a testimonial of the esteem in which she is held by her friends.

Mrs. Dr. C.P. Dolan was hostess on Saturday for the Bridge Club, and members to the number of twelve responded to the invitation. Luncheon was served and a most enjoyable time is reported.

Mrs. R.L. Morland entertained Wednesday and Thursday afternoons of last week with an afternoon luncheon, twelve ladies being present on each occasion, and on Tuesday of this week Mrs. Morland had as her guests seventeen children, friends of her son, Edward Dolan. The party was given in honor of Edward's birthday and the tots passed the time in games, etc., after which a very pretty dinner was served.

Saturday marked the twentieth milestone in the married life of Mr. and Mrs. W.I. Humiston, and the event was fittingly celebrated by this couple with a supper. About twenty-five neighbors and friends were present, among them being some of the pioneers of the county. After an evening spent in pleasant social intercourse the guests regretfully departed wishing Mr. and Mrs. Humiston many happy returns of their anniversary.

Editor Mattison Weds

M.A. Mattison, editor of the Rushmore Enterprise, was married last Wednesday at Fulda, to Miss Emma A. Fried, the ceremony taking place in the Catholic church of that place, Rev. Father Bartholome officiating.

As the event took place while the blizzard was in the height of its fury it was attended by many difficulties principle among which was the enforced postponement for two days and an overland walk of several miles to secure a marriage license, but we hope that this will in no way affect the future and upon behalf of the newspaper fraternity of the county we extend our heartiest congratulations and wishes for a long and happy wedded life.

Mr. and Mrs. Mattison have gone to housekeeping at Rushmore and will be at home to their friends after March 15th.


William C. Erwin, of this city, and Miss Lelia Helms, of Brewster, were united in marriage at the home of the groom's parents, Mr. and Mrs. C.C. Erwin, Wednesday evening, February 24, 1909, at half-past seven o'clock.

Promptly at the hour set for the ceremony, the bridal couple entered the prettily decorated rooms to the strains of the wedding march played by Mrs. D.E. Hutton. The bride was attended by her maid, Miss Effie Erwin, sister of the groom, while the groom was attended by Mr. Bernard Edstrom as best man.

Rev. G.A. Cahoon, pastor of the Methodist church, performed the impressive ceremony, which was witnessed by about sixty invited guests. After the bride and groom had received the congratulations of the friends assembled, a bounteous wedding supper was served.

Many useful and choice gifts were presented to the newly wedded pair. Mr. and Mrs. Erwin will reside on the large farm west of this city, owned by the groom's father.

New Presbyterian Pastor

The Battle Creek (Iowa) Times has the following words of commendation for Dr. Wm. M. Jennings, who recently came to Worthington as pastor of the Westminster Presbyterian church:

"Rev. Dr. Wm. M. Jennings, who has supplied temporarily the Presbyterian pulpit, leaves for Worthington, Minn., where he will become pastor of the Westminster Presbyterian church of that city. Dr. and Mrs. Jennings have made many warm friends during their brief stay in our midst, who very much regret their departure."

Prior to Dr. Jenning's brief stay at Battle Creek, he was for nearly two years pastor of the Presbyterian church at Marion, Iowa, and for more than seven years prior to his pastorate at Marion, was pastor of the Presbyterian church of Brookings, S.D. Dr. Jennings is a very able speaker and the people of Worthington are fortunate in securing him as a resident and pastor.

Pastor Resigns

Rev. William Fletcher last week tendered his resignation as pastor of the Congregational church, and at the meeting of the church board last Thursday evening the resignation was accepted. Neither pastor nor church have as yet announced their future plans, but as the resignation does not go into effect for three months each will have abundant time to make necessary arrangements. So for as can be ascertained no cause is assigned for the sudden action upon the part of the pastor except a desire for a change of field.

Local Intelligence

R. Dircks, of Round Lake township, is quite ill.

Go to Nelson's restaurant for a good cup of coffee.

Wm. Kulf was a business visitor from Wilmont Friday.

Will Oliver was a business visitor to Minneapolis Monday.

John Rowe, of Rushmore, spent yesterday in Worthington.

A. Baysinger was a business caller from Lismore Tuesday.

Ross Nelson went to Heron Lake Tuesday morning for the day.

C.E. Hale, of Windom, was a business caller in this city Friday.

R.W. Coats came up from Sibley Monday on a business mission.

Rev. C.M. Johnson enjoyed a day's ice fishing at Round Lake Monday.

H.D. Barnard, of Reading, was a business caller in this city Tuesday.

B. Klatt, of Sibley, was a business visitor to Worthington Wednesday.

Mrs. Roy Newman left Monday for a short visit with friends in Sioux City.

George M. Witsell, of Sheldon, was the guest of Worthington friends Monday.

Frank Bryden, of Rushmore, was calling on Worthington relatives Monday.

Al. Wells, of Brewster, was transacting business in Worthington Friday.

Neal Leverich was the guest of Worthington friends last Saturday and Sunday.

Charles Bird, the Ellsworth banker, was a business visitor [to] the county seat Monday.

Attorney John F. Flynn was in St. Paul the first of the week on legal business.

Rev. G.G. Schmid has been quite ill with appendicitis, but is reported improving.

M. McNerney, of Sibley, spent Washington's birthday with Worthington friends.

WANTED -- At once, a girl for general housework; $4.00 per week. Mrs. A.E. Hart.

John A. Johnson, of Adrian, Deputy state boiler inspector, was in the city on business Monday.

M.J. Hubbard, the Bigelow merchant, was a business visitor to the county seat Friday.

A girl baby was born on the evening of the 19th to John Miller and wife, of Bigelow township.

J.F. Krause and C.F. Krupinski, of Centerville, S.D., were business callers in this city Saturday.

J.A. Town went to St. Paul Sunday and was appearing before the supreme court this week.

Clinton L. Mann was confined to his home the first part of the week with an attack of heart trouble.

A baby boy has taken up his residence with Fred Lestico and wife, arriving Wednesday morning.

Mrs. L.D. Veltum returned to her home in St. Paul Monday after a short visit with Worthington friends.

Mrs. E.H. Canfield, of Luverne, arrived last Thursday and is visiting with her son, A.L. Canfield, and family.

F.H. Petrie, of Madison, Wis., brother of Mrs. S.S. Smith, visited at the Smith home the first of the week.

Mrs. Etta Noble, of Beaver Creek, was the guest of friends in this city Tuesday and Wednesday of this week.

Miss Effie Parker, of Sioux Falls, is visiting Miss Jeannette Clark and other Worthington relatives this week.

Miss Bessie Anderson, of Org, spent Sunday with her sister, Mrs. Roy Newman, returning home Monday afternoon.

Reuben Oakes, principal of the Rushmore schools, came down Friday evening for an over Sunday visit with relatives.

The little daughter of W.F. Weaver submitted to an operation on the nose and throat at the Worthington hospital Monday.

L.M. Catlin, of St. Croix Falls, Wis., has accepted a position as foreman of the mechanical department of the Advance-Herald.

Mrs. E.L. Gillette left Monday morning for the Twin cities, where she will purchase goods for her spring millinery opening.

P.W. Doeden, of Worthington, has accepted a position with the Smith Implement company at this place. --Brewster Tribune.

Miss Alma L. Walter, formerly stenographer for C.M. Crandall, now residing at Brookings, S.D., spent Sunday Mrs. George W. Wilson.

W.A. McKinney resumed his position as messenger on the Sioux Falls branch Monday after a three week's layoff spent in fighting off appendicitis.

Nic Caseretto, of Sioux Falls, was in the city this week superintending the loading of ice for his storage house in Sibley, where he conducts the ice business during the summer.

Dr. W.J. Dodge went to St. Paul the latter part of the week for a visit with friends and to meet Mrs. Dodge, who is returning home from an extended visit with relatives at Peccatonica, Illinois.

Miss Bete Hause, of Windom, spent several hours with Worthington friends Monday and left on the afternoon train for St. Paul. Miss Hause had just completed a visit with friends at Doon, Iowa.

Drs. Weidow & Mork last week received a new "Champion" auto. The machine is of the roadster type and Dr. Weidow gave it a "workout" in the snow drifts Monday, and is apparently very well satisfied with its behavior under the adverse conditions.

Mesdames Hawley and Suddaby went to St. Paul the latter part of last week to purchase the stock for their spring millinery trade. The ladies will also go on to Chicago where they will secure the latest in that market before returning home.

The D.D.J. ("D. Dozen Juniors") received their new class sweaters last Friday and made quite an impressive appearance when they turned out for school Friday afternoon arrayed in the garments, with the figures 1910 boldly emblazoned across the breast thereof.

P.R. Farmer and wife, of Spirit Lake, were in the city Monday. Mr. Farmer will be remembered by the baseball fans in this vicinity for his brilliant playing, in company with his brother, as battery with the Spirit Lake and Lake Park teams during the past season.

Owing to the storm last Tuesday, the meeting of the Twentieth Century Club was not held at the home of Mrs. E.C. Meredith as programmed, but will be held March 8th at the home of Mrs. C.P. Dolan, at which time the same topic, Pinero's "The Notorious Mrs. Ebbsmith," will be considered.

F.B. Duster, who is assisting A.P. Rose in the compilation of the history of Jackson county, dropped off for a few moments Monday morning while the train was in the depot at this place, on his way back to Jackson from an over Sunday visit with his parents at Remsen, Iowa. He reports the fact that Mr. Rose and assistants are being well received by Jackson people.

M.L. Holbrook has built up a nice business with his French dry cleaning establishment. The business was started in Worthington more as an experiment than anything else, but has met with such success that Mr. Holbrook has expanded his territory and now has several agencies in the surrounding towns. Last week he visited Heron Lake and established an agency at that point.

Miss Lottie Bedient, who is employed at the Steffins restaurant, met with a peculiar as well as painful accident Tuesday morning. In throwing out some pieces of dishes, a projecting sharp edge cut an ugly gash in the second finger of the right hand, exposing, but not severing, the tendon. She went at once to a physician where the wound received the necessary surgical attention.

James Gibson was in Luverne Tuesday to take his little daughter, Erma, who has been staying with Mrs. A.H. Carver and Mrs. A.J. Daley for the past month while her mother has been in a hospital in Worthington, to the latter place. Mrs. Gibson has so far recovered as to be able to travel and Mr. Gibson took her and Erma to their home in Sheldon, Iowa, Wednesday. --Rock County Herald.

John Andarson [Anderson?], a former resident, was calling on friends in Worthington the first of the week. Wednesday morning he decided to return to his home in Waseca, so accordingly he engaged a berth in the sleeper on No. 10, and when the train arrived at the station here he went immediately to sleep, and was somewhat surprised upon awakening at 9:30 to discover that the train had not moved from Worthington. He came up town for breakfast and told the story of his experience and thus the story leaked out.

The rural carriers were unable to cover their routes Tuesday morning owing to the fact that the tracts were drifted from the snowstorm of the night before. Bob Davis, carrier on Route 5, attempted to go over his course, but after tipping over twice, decided that it were better to return home and wait until the roads were in better shape. Had the storm of Monday night been attended with the wind that has characterized the other two blizzards it would be a matter of conjecture just how long the patrons of the rural routes would have been without service. As it was, with only a light wind the drifts in places were sufficient to effectually close the roads and paths that had been made after the second storm.

District Court Over

The February term of the district court completed its labors on Saturday after one week of session.

A stay of twenty days was ordered in the case of C.M. Davis vs. George Irving.

Emma Zinn secured a verdict of $150 against Julius Ludtke. The suit was for wages claimed to be due.

The suit of Augusta Ludtke vs. Julius Ludtke for divorce was dismissed.

The action of C.M. Olson et al. vs. Henry Teitenbery resulted in a verdict for the plaintiff in the sum of $130.93.

The cases of school district No. 34 vs. Patrick King and State of Minnesota vs. F.A. Zehringer were continued to the next term of court.

The case of Bertha Weaver vs. Jess A. Weaver was dismissed.

Twenty Days His Portion

Charles Engstrom, a blacksmith from Round Lake, imbibed too freely of the cup that not only cheers but inebriates on Saturday last and after making himself generally obnoxious, was placed under arrest, and Tuesday was given a hearing before Justice J.J. Kies at 10 o'clock, at which time he pleaded guilty as charged in the complaint. Being without money with which to pay a fine, the justice committed him to the county jail for a period of twenty days.

These Are Now Citizens

Hjalmar Soderholm, Reading; Andrew Pearson, Lismore; John Emil Bengtrom, Bigelow township; Joseph S. Edelstein, Wilmont; Henry Bisch, Worthington; Edward Johnson, Indian Lake township were granted naturalization papers by the district court last week. Gerhardt Albert John Oolman, who had also made application failed to appear and his application was passed until the October term of court.

Elk News

Edwin Finchk, of Canada arrived here Sunday morning and will visit his brother Andrew at this place for some time.

Rev. Chas. Hilary is on the sick list this week.

Mr. Ramer, of Barnum, Minn., is here visiting his brother, W.S. Ramer, of Elk. While here Mr. Ramer purchased a fine driving team of Geo. Hacker.

Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Finchk are the proud parents of a bright baby boy who arrived Thursday, February 18th, 1909.

Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Wolff spent Sunday with Rev. Hilary and family.

The public auction of F. Green will be held Wednesday, March 3rd.

Miss Rowe, teacher in Dist. No. 24, in company with her sister, of Rushmore spent Sunday in St. Paul.

----End Transcription----

Microfilm, Worthington Advance; Minnesota Historical Society, St. Paul, MN; obtained November, 2007.

If you would like more information,
please contact Terri Mindock

The banner below has been added by the website host, and does not reflect any promotion by the author of these pages.