Search billions of records on

Lane-Blood Genealogy
You are here:  Home  >  MN newspaper articles  >  transcription

Newspaper Articles
from Worthington Advance
 October, 1908

Use the EDIT > FIND function on your browser to search this page.
To search the rest of this site, go to the HOME page (link above)
and use the "Search this site" box.

Friday, October 2, 1908

Married at Spencer, Iowa.

The following clipping taken from the Clay County News, published at Spencer, Iowa, will be of interest to the readers of the Advance-Herald, as Mr. Jones and family were formerly residents of Nobles county, having resided in Dewald township some years ago, and a son, C.S. Jones, is now principal of the schools at Dundee.

"The home of Mr. and Mrs. H.S. Jones was the scene of a happy wedding yesterday morning. The bride is the only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. H.S. Jones, and the groom is Frank W. Bowman of Winchester, Indiana. Rev. O.M. Bond was the officiating clergyman. Only relatives and immediate friends had the pleasure of witnessing the interesting ceremony. The bride is well known in and about Spencer for her personal charms and social and intellectual qualities -- qualities which fit her for making an ideal home, the most to be desired of anything this side of heaven. The groom is a stranger to most Spencer people. He is a commercial salesman, possessed of fine business qualities and prudence, and by his energy and industry has acquired a sufficiency of this world's goods that the howl of the wolf at his door has no terrors for him. Mr. and Mrs. Bowman left on the two o'clock train yesterday for Jefferson, Iowa, where Mr. B. has business interests. Blessings on them!"

Advertised Letters.

The following letters remain uncalled for at the postoffice at Worthington September 26. Parties calling for the same will please say advertised:

Miss Marian V. Sharp. Mrs. Gertrude Wilkinson, Jacob Jacobson, Matthew McCabe, 3, L.S. Patterson, Mrs. Stella Mitchell, Albert Morrow, Mrs. Nellie Hough, E. Shipman, Rev. Gust O. Westman, Mrs. Maria Gilbertson, Norman Ball.

Death of Mrs. Besanz.

Mrs. Carolina B. Besanz, wife of John Besanz, died Thursday night after an extended illness from asthma and bronchitis, aged 53 years, 9 months and 9 days. The funeral services were held from the Swedish Lutheran church Saturday, conducted by Rev. Mueller, pastor of the German Lutheran church at Brewster. Interment at the Worthington cemetery.


Geo. M. DePetit was a Sheldon visitor Tuesday.

A son was born Monday to Mr. and Mrs. Bert Williams.

Miss Lottie Bedient is visiting Fulda relatives this week.

G.H. Stratham, of Lake Park, came up Monday on a business mission.

Any one wishing wedding or party cake decorated call on J.P. Biltgen.

E.A. Tripp, of Round Lake, paid a visit to Worthington friends Monday evening.

Mr. and Mrs. Clyde Ager are rejoicing over the arrival of a son born last Sunday.

E.S. Wilcox, of Thief River Falls, Minn., was transacting business in Worthington Monday and Tuesday.

E.D. McDonald and P.S. Davis, of Eldora, Iowa, were in the city Monday looking after business interests.

Frank Duster, of the Globe, spent a few days this week with his parents in Iowa, returning home Tuesday morning.

Miss Josephine Sibley submitted to an operation for appendicitis at the Worthington hospital Friday night and is recovering rapidly.

Mrs. W.F. Scott has rented her farm in Ransom township and has moved to Worthington, taking up her residence in her property on Third avenue.

J.G. Williams, of Ransom township, who has been at the Worthington hospital for treatment for a complication of diseases for the past couple of weeks is convalescent.

Mrs. Mary DePetit, who has been the guest of her son, George M. DePetit, of the Advance-Herald, for the past six weeks, returned to her home in Dayton, O., Tuesday.

Rev. R.C. Ten Broeck, rector of St. John's Episcopal church, attended the confirmation services at Elysian, Minn., Wednesday. The services were conducted by Bishop Edsall.

Rev. Jesse Kinderdine, of Ellsworth, and brother, Rev. Percy Kinderdine, of Canada, spent Monday evening with Rev. G.A. Cahoon, enroute to the M.E. conference at Fairmount.

James Addington returned home Sunday night from International Falls, where he went to look after his timber claim. He reports that the forest fires did no damage in the section where his claim is located.

Peter Nystrom, while breaking kindling over his knee Saturday night had the misfortune to run a rusty nail into his knee and blood poisoning has set in, and he is now confined to his home. However, it is hoped that no serious results will accrue and that the trouble will readily yield to medical treatment.

John Smith took in the Corn Palace at Mitchell this week.

Ross Nelson and wife went to Mitchell Monday night to take in the Corn Palace.

Mr. and Mrs. Frank Glasgow and daughter attended the Corn Palace at Mitchell this week.

H.R. Rockwell, of Fairmont, was looking after business interests in this city Wednesday and Thursday.


E.A. Post left for Shabona, lll., Tuesday.

A.R. Beilke was a county seat visitor Saturday.

C. Soderholm left last Friday for Rockford, Ill.

Auctioneer Geo. Bonde was a pilgrim to the county metropolis Monday.

R.A. Bixby was at Sioux Falls Sunday, consulting a specialist in regard to his eyes.

Bills are out announcing the sale of G.F. Klessig. See notice elsewhere in this issue.

A. Rust went to Edgerton Monday to look after threshing on his farm near that town.

W.J. Klessig was a Worthington visitor Tuesday, getting some lathe work done on his auto.

F.L. Keith was up from Worthington Monday and accepted a position with A.R. Beilke.

G.T. Bubick and H.D. Barnard were Worthington visitors Tuesday evening attending lodge.

H. Schroeder came up from Sibley, Iowa, Tuesday and will attend to some work on his farm near town.

Jack Reilly, of Wilmont, was circulating among business acquaintances in this locality Monday and Tuesday.

S.T. Fair expects to leave for Rochester the first of the week where he goes to take treatment for a diseased foot.

Mr. and Mrs. John Ronan and the former's father and mother came up from Worthington Sunday and spent the afternoon with M. Ronan.

Mrs. E. Bowersock is suffering with a complication of diseases and is under the care of Dr. Humiston. At this writing she is slightly improved.

On Tuesday Dr. Humiston was called to attend Fred Post, who is suffering with some affection as the result of a siege of typhoid fever which he underwent last fall.

Mr. and Mrs. J.A. Good left Wednesday for their old home in Bathurst, New Brunswick. This is their first visit to their birth place since leaving there twenty-six years ago. They expect to be absent about three weeks.

Local Intelligence

Dr. Stover, of Bigelow, was in Worthington Monday.

James Kellegher came down from Windom Friday on business.

Charles Loveless went to Minneapolis Sunday for a short visit.

E.F. Cronin, of Sibley, was a Sunday visitor to Worthington.

P.H. McCarvel, of Brewster spent Sunday with Worthington friends.

J.G. Chrysler, of Lake Park, was a visitor to Worthington Saturday.

H. Bock, of Lake Park, was in the city Friday on a business mission.

Henry Albert, of Round Lake, was a business n Worthington Friday.

Rev. W.M. Gillis, of Rushmore, was transacting business in Worthington Friday.

Mrs. F.E. Scott, of Round Lake, was in Worthington Friday calling on friends.

Neal Leverich, of Mitchell, was calling on Worthington friends Friday evening.

Mrs. J.S. Tolverson, of Fulda, was the guest last week of Mrs. E.J. Helmick.

Mrs. E.J. Helmick went to Fulda Monday morning for a visit with relatives.

L.H. Gray and Stelle S. Smith were business visitors to Bigelow Monday afternoon.

H. Clark, E.B. Clark and B. Clark, of Windom made a Sunday trip to Worthington.

Mrs. C.C. Albertson, of Rushmore, was the guest of Worthington friends part of Friday.

Rev. G.M. Walker returned home Saturday night from a visit with Round Lake friends.

A.L. Philleo and wife, of Waverly, Iowa, are visiting Mr. Philleo's sister, Mrs. Fred Humiston.

J. Caserito went to LeMars Monday afternoon, called there by the illness of his sister, Mrs. J. Tossini.

J.N. Beckette, of Sibley, has accepted a position on the surface gang of the Omaha at this place.

C.r. Bishop, of Chance, S.D., was renewing old acquaintances in Worthington the first of the week.

J.R. Robson made a business trip to Clarion and Webster City, Iowa, last week, returning home Saturday.

L.W. Abbott and R.H. Torrence returned home Thursday night from a business trip to the northern part of the state.

J.J. Kies and John Mitchell returned home Sunday from Decorah, Iowa, where they had been invoicing a stock of goods.

Rev. R.C. Ten Broeck returned home Sunday morning from an extended vacation spent at Faribault and Chisago City.

M.A. Matteson, of the Rushmore Enterprise, spent a few hours in Worthington Saturday, enroute to Heron Lake.

Mrs. Carl Lestico went to Dundee Monday morning where she will visit with her daughter, Mrs. Schmidt, for a few days.

Mrs. Luelle Hansberger has discontinued her art studio, and will devote her time to filling orders for hand painted china.

Mrs. B. Coleman, of St. Paul, who has been visiting her son, Pat Coleman, of the Omaha railroad, returned home Monday morning.

Mrs. W.G. Crever, of St. Paul, spent last week in Worthington, the guest of T.H. Crever and family, returning home Monday.

E.W. Ellis, of Luverne, made a business trip to Worthington Friday.

Business brought F.L. Hegardt over from Round Lake Friday.

Mrs. Hendricks, of Adrian, who was visiting her daughter, Mrs. N. Klaras, was called home last week by the serious illness of a relatives.

C. Synkerson, accompanied by Murray Brothers, went to Brewster Monday where Mr. Synkerson has a contract for a big job of painting.

Mrs. L.H. Gray returned last week from a six weeks camping outing with friends and relatives at Sauk Center, and other points in the northern part of the state.

J.A. Tossini, of Sioux Falls, spent Sunday with the family of J. Casereto. He left Monday afternoon for LeMars, Iowa, where his wife is laying quite ill from rheumatism.

Ross Meader, the Sibley hardware man, was in Worthington for a short time Monday, enroute to Wilmont, where he went to look after some land interests for his mother.

Dwight Harden came down from Minneapolis Sunday and spent the day with his parents in this city. The family will soon remove to Minneapolis we are informed.

Mrs. M.A. Adair, of Quincy, Ill., is visiting Mrs. D. Chute, near Wilmont. Mrs. Adair owns some land in Graham Lakes township and is here looking after her interests.

H.G. Hawkins, of Mason City, Ia., was a visitor in Worthington Friday.

Jesse Lewis and wife of Sibley, accompanied by a lady friend, were calling on Worthington friends Sunday.

Mrs. C.S. Jones, wife of the principal of the Dundee schools entered the Worthington hospital Thursday for an operation. The operation was successful and she returned home Monday morning.

Mr. and Mrs. A.B. Cook, of Urbana, Ill., are visiting their daughter, Mrs. C.E. Sims. Mr. Cook has accepted a position at the Worthington Concrete and Tile works and will remain in Worthington for some time.

Dr. F.B. Cowgill, district superintendent of the M.E. church, arrived in Worthington from Redwood Falls, Monday on business connected with the quarterly conference of the church. While here he was the guest of Rev. G.A. Cahoon and family.

Boyd P. Joy, advance agent for the Clay Clement Co., presented the "New Dominion," was in the city between trains Saturday. Mr. Clement was taken seriously ill while playing in Minneapolis last season and has been unable to take up his tour this year and his part is now played by an understudy.

Rev. C.H. Beaudieu, of White Earth, will occupy the pulpit at St. John's Episcopal church next Sunday evening. It was Rev. Beaudieu's intention to preach here last Sunday, but at the last moment he was unable to get here to fill the appointment and arrangements were made to secure him for next Sunday.

Fred Humiston and Sheriff Fauskee stopped off in St. Paul and Minneapolis on the return trip from Stillwater and heard Taft's address in both cities. In speaking of the address, Mr. Humiston says that the crowds who turned out to greet the future president were enormous in both instances. Jacobson, who was present, and occupied a seat upon the platform, was accorded an ovation, but did not speak.

Worthington people have been wondering why the electric street lights are not lighted during the early portion of the evening, and when the question was put to C.L. Mann, village clerk, by the Advance-Herald porter, Mr. Mann explained that one of the machines had been taken out to make room for the mammoth new machine which will shortly be installed, and the burden is too heavy for one machine to carry, so only house service is put on until the latter part of the evening. The street service is on from 10 o'clock until dawn.

James Mackay was a business visitor to Dundee Wednesday.

Miss Maud Cass, of Reading, was a Worthington visitor Wednesday.

Kenneth Pettit, of Pipestone, is visiting his mother, Mrs. G.V. Pettit.

Wilbur J. Evans, of Reading, has quit farming and removed to Illinois.

A new Majestic Range at auction on Peter Thompson's corner, Sat. Oct. 3.

Fred Post, of Reading, was a business visitor to the county seat Wednesday.

Mrs. John Good, of Reading, was calling on Worthington friends Wednesday.

Mrs. C.L. Newman went to Org Wednesday for a few days' visit with her parents.

Mrs. C.H. Kies, of Kelley, Iowa, is a guest at the home of J.S. Kies and family this week.

Dr. Henry Weidow returned home Wednesday from a business trip to Chicago and other points.

E.A. Post, of Wilmont, was called to central Illinois this week by the serious illness of his mother.

Rev. Healey and wife, of Bigelow, are in attendance at the Methodist conference at Fairmont this week.

J.A. Cashel returned the latter part of the week from a business trip to Nevada and other western points.

Rev. C.M. Johnson will preach in the Robinson school house, eight miles south of Worthington, on Sunday, Oct. 4th, at 3:30.

The C.E. society of the Presbyterian church will give a social in the church parlors on Hallowe'en night. Remember the date.

Harry Rew, of the Hub, was one of those who journeyed to Mitchell to take in the corn palace and also hear William Jennings Bryan.

The Slayton Jubilee Singers transferred here Wednesday enroute for Adrian, where they appeared on the lecture course program.

John Lang, of Lismore, was in the city between trains Wednesday on his way to LeMars, Iowa, where he will visit for a few days.

Miss Pauline Ruprect, of Bigelow, has organized a large class in instrumental music in Worthington and will make weekly visits to the village hereafter.

H.L. Blake, Prohibition candidate for representative to the state legislature, was in Worthington Tuesday looking over the field and expresses himself as well pleased with the outlook.

A.R. Beilke, of Reading, was a visitor to the county seat Saturday, and his visit will probably result in one of Worthington's popular clerks being seen behind the counters in his store in the future as arrangements to that partly consummated Saturday.

Word has been received here that E.J. Zumstag, one of several college students who were working in this neighborhood this summer in the interests of the Prohibition party, who was sent to his home in Big Stone suffering with typhoid symptoms, died there last week of that malady.

Mrs. Larson, mother of Louis Larson, of Bigelow township, had a cancer removed from her lip one day last week. Mrs. Larson is eighty-tw years of age and owing to her advanced years the operation was more serious than it would have been upon a younger person. After the operation she spent a few days with the family of S. Kin___, but has now returned home and recovering rapidly and her ultimate restoration to health is assured.

Friday, October 9, 1908

D.J. Atrops Dead.

D.J. Atrops, known to nearly all the people of the village as Jake Atrops, died at 2:30 Monday morning from typhoid-pneumonia. Deceased was 35 years of age, and had been employed for several years as section foreman on the Sioux Falls branch of the Omaha railroad. About three weeks ago he complained of feeling ill and requested the company to send a man here to relieve him, which was done, and about a week previous to his demise he took to his bed from which he never arose. On Saturday it became apparent that he could not long survive and his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Atrops, of New Ulm, were summoned, and were with him when the end came. The remains were taken to New Ulm Monday morning, being accompanied by his parents, his wife and family going up Tuesday morning. The funeral was held Wednesday morning.

Deceased was married and leaves to mourn his loss a widow and four small children. A sister in Minneapolis and his aged parents also survive him.

Injured in Ruanway.

While returning to her home on the Oliver and Madison farm, Mrs. Earle, accompanied by her sister, Mrs. Doyle, who is visiting her from Nebraska, met with a peculiar runaway accident last Thursday afternoon. In some manner the pole broke, causing the horses to take fright and run away throwing the occupants of the buggy to the ground. In some unaccountable manner, Mrs. Doyle became entangled in the wheel of the vehicle and suffered a severe fracture of the ankle. Mrs. Earle's little daughter who was also in the conveyance, was badly shaken up, but Mrs. Earle escaped injury. A physician was hastily summoned and Mrs. Doyle's injuries attended to, and she is now resting easier, but it will be several days before she will regain the use of the injured limb.


J.C. Williamson and family are entertaining Mesdames Charles Wright and Lydia Hastings and Miss Carrie Hobart, of Carthage, Ill. They will also extend their visit to other friends and relatives in this vicinity.


At Spencer, Ia., on Monday, September 21, occurred the wedding of Miss Pearl Wetherall, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A.N. Wetherall, of this city, and Mr. J.W. MacDonald.

The wedding came as a surprise to the many friends of the bride in this city. While the event was not unexpected, no one, not even the relatives of the bride, expected it to be consummated at such an early date, but all join in wishing the happy couple all the choicest of blessings.

The groom is a traveling salesman and his bride has been employed as trimmer in a millinery establishment at Spencer. She will remain in her position until the close of the millinery season, after which the happy couple will take up their residence at Watertown, S.D., where they will be at home to their many friends.

An Interpreter Necessary.

Richard Engstrom, a well-known character about the village, was arrested Tuesday night by Officer Duel and locked up. The specific charge against Engstrom was intoxication, a habit he is addicted to, and after a night in the lockup he was brought before Justice Dow to answer to the charge, but when the case was called and the warrant read to Engstrom he could not be made to understand the nature of the proceedings, so an interpreter was sworn in in the person of S. Kinlund, and through his efforts the defendant was made to realize that he was charged with drunkenness, which constitutes a breach of village etiquette, to which charge he pleaded guilty and was fined $5 and costs, amounting to a trible over $8, which he paid and was released from custody.

Engstrom is a laborer and an industrious worker, but has acquired an appetite for liquor, and at such times is inclined to be boisterous and it was this tendency which caused his appearance in police court Wednesday. He is married, and the father of a family.


A.F. Diehn, of Round Lake, paid a visit to Worthington Tuesday.

W.H. Whalen, of Wilmont, was a business visitor Wednesday.

John N. McChord, of Adrian, was in transacting business in Worthington friends [??].

C.S. Morton, of Rushmore, was in Worthington Wednesday on a business mission.

J.C. Thompson and wife, of Round Lake, spent Monday with Worthington friends.

J.H. Bryden and daughter, Miss Mabel, of Rushmore, were callers at Worthington on Tuesday last.

Mrs. George Baker left Wednesday morning for Manitowac, Wis., where she will visit with relatives.

A baby girl has taken up her abode with Mr. and Mrs. J.H. West. The event dates from October 3d.

The infant daughter of C.E. Sims and wife was quite ill the first of the week, but is recovering rapidly.

B.C. Baker, of Iowa Falls, Iowa, is being entertained this week by his son, "Bud" Baker, on Third avenue.

Miss Addie Rowe, of Rushmore, who has been the guest of Q. Barnes and family, returned home Wednesday.

Clyde Tripp, of Round Lake, was in Worthington for a short time Monday on his way to Adrian on a business trip.

The W.R.C. will give a supper in G.A.R. hall, Friday, October 23d. Will begin serving at 5:30. A quilt will be raffled.

Attorney J.F. Flynn returned home yesterday from an extended business trip to Nevada, Colorado and other western states.

Miss Blenda Carlson returned to Minneapolis Tuesday afternoon after an extended visit with friends and relatives in and around Worthington.

Mrs. John Kraft and Miss Sophie Kraft left Wednesday morning for Claire, Mich., where they will spend some time with relatives and friends.

Miss Ada Ainsworth, of Council Bluffs, Iowa, arrived Tuesday afternoon to accept the position of teacher the new room established in the public schools.

Rev. Swan and Mr. and Mrs. E.L. Peterson, went to St. Paul Wednesday, where they will attend the fiftieth anniversary of the Swedish Lutheran conference.

E.E. Salmon, accompanied by his brother, from Laporte, Iowa, are visiting here this week. Mr. Salmon was formerly engaged in the restaurant business in Worthington.

Mrs. J.E. Darling and daughter, Mrs. Alvin Langley, of Rolette, N.D., and Mrs. Fred Darling, left Tuesday for an extended visit to friends in Nashville and other points in Tennessee.

Mr. and Mrs. C.S. Jones, of Dundee, came to Worthington Friday. Mr. Jones returned home Saturday, but Mrs. Jones remained in the city until Wednesday the guest of friends, taking medical treatment.

M.F. Twitchell left last week for Andover, O., for a visit among friends and relatives whom he has not seen for 23 years. Enroute he stopped over in Chicago for a visit with a daughter who resides in the windy city.

Daniel Shell went up to St. Paul Monday expecting to hear Gov. Hughes but was disappointed, his train being delayed owing to a freight wreck and did not reach St. Paul until the special carrying Gov. Hughes was leaving the city.

Mrs. Dr. Dodge went to Minneapolis Tuesday afternoon, where she will visit with the family of H.C. Franck. Mr. Franck is a conductor on the Omaha and a former resident of Worthington and is quite sick at present with stomach trouble of accute nature.

Nicholas Nelson, of Butte, Mont., is in Worthington visiting his sister, Mrs. Chas. Hamstreet. Mr. Nelson is an experienced piano tuner and will remain here until the first of next week to tune pianos. Those desiring his services can leave orders at Palmer's music store.

Wheeler Doud, a former resident of Nobles county, but who for the past fourteen years has made his home in Oklahoma, is renewing old acquaintances this week. Mr. Doud formerly lived in Rushmore, but has many friends in Worthington who are glad to welcome him back.

William J. Corbett, of Wilmont, and Miss Ernestine Luloff, of Bramer county, Iowa, were quietly married in this city Saturday afternoon at the residence of Rev. Wm. Fletcher, who performed the ceremony. The young couple left at once for Wilmont, near which village they will make their home.

Little Marian Drake, who was so horribly mangled in a mower accident some weeks ago, has nearly recovered and is getting along nicely at her home near Brewster. The physicians were successful in saving the one foot and she now has almost complete control of the member. An artificial foot will be fitted to the other limb and it is hoped she will soon be around again.

Drs. Weidow and Mork have purchased from E.F. Buchan, the properties now occupied by them as an office and Dr. Weidow's residence, and in the spring will make quite extensive improvements. The contemplated changes will result in giving the physicians a modern, up-to-date sanitarium and hospital with all modern appliances where-with to treat patients and take care of surgical cases.

Local Intelligence

Miss Mabel Horne spent Tuesday in Brewster.

Mrs. John Lawson is the guest of relatives at Omaha.

H. Moeller, of Round Lake, was a business visitor Monday.

W.S. Wyatt and wife spent Sunday with friends at Mitchell, S.D.

George Fullwiller, of Round Lake, spent Monday in Worthington.

G.W. Luehrs went to Cherokee, Ia., Monday for a visit with relatives.

Y.E. Wiley and wife, of Brewster, were callers at Worthington Saturday.

L.P. Gregory, of Adrian, was transacting business in Worthington Monday.

D.C. Eitrius, of Beaver Creek, was called to Worthington Monday by business.

G.W. Roth went to Brewster Monday to superintend some ditching work.

Rev. A. Heathcote, of Brewster, spent Sunday with Worthington friends.

Miss Elizabeth Thompson spent Friday evening and Saturday with Adrian friends.

A.B. Wilborn and wife, of Wilmont, were in Worthington between trains Monday.

The W.C.T.C. will meet with Mrs. Rev. G.G. Schmidt this (Friday) afternoon.

T.H. Prideaux and wife, of Rushmore, spent Monday with Worthington relatives.

Rev. Mueller, of Brewster, was in Worthington and held services Sunday _______.

Mrs. Jennie Pabodie, of Sioux City, Ia., spent Sunday with the family of Rev. Wilder.

Mrs. L.R. Gohlz went down to Spirit Lake yesterday for a few days' visit with relatives.

Mrs. Myrtle Hommas, of Des Moines, Ia., is the guest of her father, J.S. Tryon, this week.

Gould Wilson, of Little Rock, Ia., spent Monday with his father, I.N. Wilson, and family.

A.W. Luehrs, who has been working in Omaha for some months past has returned to Worthington.

W.C. Wyatt, proprietor of the Bigelow townsite, was a business caller at the county seat Saturday.

T.A. Thorstensen, representing the Christensen Mill Co., of Madelia, was a business visitor Friday.

Mrs. J.O. Seaman, of Shelvybille, Ill., was the guest of Rev. Wilder and family a few days this week.

Senator S.B. Bedford and wife, of Rushmore, were guests at the home of Charles Hamstreet and wife Sunday.

Mrs. F.E. North returned this week from a three weeks' visit with her friend, Mrs. H.D. Shaw, at Sioux Falls.

Mrs. J. Casereto went to LeMars, Ia., Monday for a visit with Mrs. Mary Tosinni, who is quite ill with rheumatism.

Mrs. Roy Harris and infant child went to Sioux Falls Monday afternoon for a short visit with relatives and friends.

Mrs. J.S. Cochs, of Kinbrae, who has been visiting the family of frank Eastman the past week, returned home Tuesday.

E.G. Blackart, editor of the Spirit Lake Beacon, was an over Sunday guest at the home of Dr. and Mrs. L.R. Gohlz.

Olaf Huseby, of Currie, spent Saturday evening and Sunday with Worthington friends, returning home Monday morning.

Rev. R.C. Ten Broeck, pastor of St. John's Episcopal church, left Tuesday for Faribault, where he will be present at a family reunion.

Miss Josephine Sibley returned home from the Worthington hospital Sunday, having fully recovered from her operation for appendicitis.

Mr. and Mrs. C.C. Cockerill and Mr. and Mrs. M.M. Head composed a merry auto party which visited Worthington from Jefferson, Ia., last Friday evening.

Mrs. John Montgomery spent Sunday with Brewster relatives, and on Monday went to Heron Lake, where she will spend a few days with Mrs. Charles Buckeye.

E.H. Cantine, of Cherokee, Ia., was in the city Friday, making arrangements for the big stock sale to be held by Patterson & Erickson, which is to be held October 28.

A girl baby was born to Mr. and Mrs. Adolph Amundson September 27.

The infant child of Mr. and Mrs. Louis Nebendahl, north of town, was buried last Saturday.

H.P. Schuman and wife, of Hospers, Ia., were calling on Worthington friends Friday. Mr. Schuman also was attending to an important business errand during his short visit.

Emil Bromz has secured a position at Miller, Iowa, where he will assume a position as station agent. Mr. and Mrs. Bromz will leave sometime this week for their new home.

G.W. Ager and family left Wednesday for Medford, Oregon, where they will make their future home. Mr. Ager will engage in the photograph business in his new location.

Rev. G.G. Schmidt went to Lamberton Monday where he will attend the district ministerial meeting of the German Evangelical church, which is in session at that place this week.

Harry Van Meter has resigned his position with the bridge crew of the Omaha and left Sunday night for Cumberland, Wis., where he has accepted a position at his trade, that of printer.

The twenty-seventh annual convention of the Nobles County Sunday School association will be held in the Methodist church of this city on next Monday and Tuesday, October 12 and 13.

"King" Rushon, who has been working on the bridge crew of the Omaha during the summer, has again returned to his trade of printing and is now employed on the force of the Advance-Herald.

L. Haven left Monday morning for Faribault. He was accompanied by his little son and the object of his visit to that city is to see that the little fellow [the rest of this article got cut off]

W.E. Wright and Miss Emma Maude Morey, both of Spirit Lake, Ia., were united in marriage last Thursday afternoon at the home of the bride's aunt, Mrs. M.L. Barber, Rev. Wilder performing the ceremony.

Theo. Bahls, of Round Lake, was in Worthington Monday en route home from Minneapolis, where he went to see his son safely matriculated in the Experiment school, where he will take a course in scientific farming.

Rev. Carl Oberg, former pastor of the Indian Lake Baptist church, arrived here Monday from Willmar, where he is now located, and was engaged the first of the week in shipping his household goods to that place.

Ben Burns, of Sibley, was in the city a few hours Tuesday on his way to Lismore, where he went to look up a location for a barber shop. Ben formerly worked here and has a number of friends and acquaintances in the city.

G.E. Postgate and wife, accompanied by his two granddaughters, went to Faribault Monday after a short visit with Nobles county friends. After spending a few days with relatives in Martin county they will return to their home in Story county, Iowa.

Rev. C.H. Beaulieu, of Le Sueur, occupied the pulpit at St. John's church last Sunday evening. Rev. Beaulieu was formerly rector at St. John's and has a host of friends in Worthington, who were glad to welcome him back to their midst.

Kennith Pettit returned to his work at Pipestone Friday after a short vacation spent with his mother in this city. Kennith was suffering from blood poisoning in his hand, but the injured member has so far recovered as to enable him to resume work.

Charles Shade, the Rock Rapids, Ia., banker, accompanied by his assistant, Frank M. Bryan, of Montpelier, Vt., and his chauffeur, N.O. LaChance, was in the city Friday inspecting risks for a well known life insurance company, returning home Saturday in his auto.

Ed Cheatham returned to Worthington Saturday from Michigan, where he has been for some months superintending the management of a large stock farm. The owners of the farm recently lost heavily by fire on the premises, thus throwing Ed out of his position temporarily.

Rev. Gerhardt Schmidt, of Canada, has been appointed to fill the pulpits in Rushmore, Little Rock and Worthington for the German Lutheran church. The local branch of the church have been without a regular pastor for some time, but hereafter services will be held each Sunday afternoon.

Drs. Dolan and Clark went to St. Paul Monday night, where they attended the meeting of the State Health Officers Tuesday and the State Medical association meeting Wednesday and Thursday. Among the Worthington physicians in attendance at the medical association were Drs. Geyerman, Manson, and Humiston.

Mr. and Mrs. W.H.S. Penberthy, of Grand Junction, Colo., spent Sunday with R. Prideaux and family. Mr. and Mrs. Penberthy are former residents of Nobles county and were renewing old acquaintances during their short stay. They left Monday afternoon for Dodgeville, Wis., where they will spend a few days with relatives.

The C.E. society of the Christian church went out to the home of J.C. Williamson, east of town, Thursday evening at the close of the services at the tent and the balance of the evening was spent in having a royal good time in a social way. Refreshments were served and all present enjoyed themselves to the utmost.

Ernest Sterling came down from Minneapolis last Saturday and visited over Sunday with relatives. Ernest has been employed the past three months in the wholesale dry goods house of Wyman, Partridge & Co. and on Wednesday of this week was given a position on the road as traveling salesman and will travel through Montana.

P.J. Nystrom is certainly having his share of tough luck recently. A couple of weeks ago while splitting kindling he had the misfortune to drive a rusty nail into his knee and later developed blood poisoning. This had hardly healed when he went back to work, and on Friday afternoon, while working __ _____ wheel he received a small particle of steel in the left eye, and as a consequence is now going about with that member bandaged up and he is peering through black glasses.

One of the enjoyable features at the morning service of the Congregational church last Sunday morning was the solo rendered by Miss Jeannette Carlton, entitled "Giver of Life." Miss Carlton is a newcomer in our midst, having but recently come to Worthington from Minneapolis, where she was vocalist in the choir of the Plymouth Congregational church. She is the possessor of a rich soprano voice and her work shows her to be a thorough vocalist and she will no doubt be able to secure quite a large class in that line.

Friday, October 16, 1908

Rev. Fletcher and Wife Celebrate Their Tenth Wedding Anniversary

Saturday, October 10, marked the tenth milestone in the matrimonial journey of Rev. William Fletcher and wife, and in accordance with a time honored custom the minister and his wife arranged to celebrate the event. Accordingly invitation was extended to a number of their friends to be present and assist in making the tin wedding anniversary an event to be remembered. The reception was held in three relays, from 8 o'clock to 10:30. During that time about a hundred called and paid their respects to the esteemed pastor and his estimable wife. A delicious luncheon was served and the reverend gentleman and his helpmate were the recipients of many beautiful and expensive presents. While the anniversary was the tenth and known as the "tin" wedding, all presents were of more substantial material than tin. All who attended enjoyed a pleasant time and it is the prayer of all that the worthy pastor and wife may be spared to celebrate many more anniversaries of their wedding day.

Round Lake Couple Wed, but Want the Event Kept Quiet

That Cupid is no respecter of persons or ages was aptly demonstrated Monday when the marriage of Charles Marr and Sophie Baumeister was consummated. The groom gives his age as 68 and the bride has reached the tender age of 52. The ceremony was performed by Rev. Fletcher at his residence on Monday afternoon in the presence of the minister's family. There is an air of romance connected with the marriage, and the contracting parties do not wish their friends at Round Lake to know of it, so for goodness sake don't mention it. When the reporter called at the county clerk's office to secure the names of those to whom marriage licenses had been issued he was repulsed and consequently could get no information regarding the event, but with true newspaper instinct got buy along other lines and above is the result of his investigation. There were several amusing incidents in connection with the marriage which we forego, owing to the fact that the happy couple do not want the marriage known for a time, and to mention the humorous side of affairs might result in too much publicity. Now, whatever you do, do not mention that Mr. Marr and his bride were married here Monday, as they want to surprise their Round Lake friends and relatives.


R.L. Morland spent Sunday in the Twin Cities.

Mayor Madison spent Monday tusseling with the grip, but won out.

Archie Darling shines shoes at Thomte's Barber Shop - 10 cents.

Mrs. A.S. Frane of Round Lake, was a Monday caller in Worthington.

Emil Larson of Indian Lake, is among the applicants for Tripp county land.

John Salstrom, Bigelow's banker, paid a visit to the county seat Wednesday.

Wallace Saxon, of Indian Lake made a trip to the Rosebud opening and filed for a claim.

Mrs. Louis Christensen of Indian Lake township has returned from a trip to Colorado.

Mr. and Mrs. A. Wensberg spent Sunday with the latter's parents in Elk township.

Miss Emma Herman has been visiting her sister, Mrs. Joe Nazerenus, the past week.

Mrs. Ross Nelson and family left Wednesday for a visit with relatives at Storden, Minn.

Pat Boyle, the Rock Rapids horse trainer, well-known here was a visitor to this city Wednesday.

D.L. Veeder and Robert Coulson, of Belmond, Iowa, are visiting H.R. Veeder and family this week.

F.R. Durfee, resumed his work on the road Monday after a two weeks' illness from stomach trouble.

Mrs. M.C. Lloyd and Mrs. C.L. Stewart of Lake Mills, Iowa, are guests at the home of D.W. Anthony.

Dr. F.S. Hough, of Sibley, was in Worthington Tuesday assisting in a surgical operation with local physicians.

A baby girl arrived Monday to gladden the hearts of Mr. and Mrs. Jonathan M. Kimmell, of Elk township.

R.W. Schmidt of Currie paid a visit to this office Wednesday on his way back from Dallas where he filed for land.

Mrs. W.T. Hayes left Wednesday morning for Mankato where she will visit for a few days with her mother, who is quite ill.

Ferd Esser and family of Heron Lake, were in Worthington Wednesday on their way home from a visit with Adrian relatives.

Ben Burns, of Sibley, was in Worthington a short time Wednesday on his way to Lismore, where he has purchased a barber shop.

W.A. Petersen and wife of Windom were in attendance at the Sunday school convention Monday and Tuesday and returned home Wednesday morning.

A valuable horse belonging to John Harden ran into a barbed wire fence Wednesday and sustained injuries which made it necessary to kill the animal.

Neal Leverich, of Mitchell, spent Thursday in Worthington, and left Thursday night for Rochester to see his mother, who is ill in the hospital there.

Miss Marguerite Becker has resigned her position at the variety store and left Wednesday for Brewster where she has accepted a position with Geyerman & Son.

J.W. Sliver [Silver?] and George Hastings went to South Dakota Wednesday where they will make an effort to secure a claim at the opening of the Tripp county reservation.

P.W. Gard, harpist, C.E. Webster, flute, and J.C. Fejfen, clarinettist, who have been connected with Hand's orchestra, have resigned from that organization and joined O'Connor's orchestra. The headquarters of the latter organization will be made at Worthington.

A telegram was received Thursday morning by E.F. Buchan, informing him of the death of his mother at Custer, Wash. Her other son, W.F. Buchan, has been with her during her last illness and will bring the body here for burial, expecting to arrive early Monday morning.

Mrs. John Saxon met with a peculiar accident about a week ago which has run into acute blood poisoning and she is having a serious time. While dressing a chicken the sharp knife which she was using slipped and penetrated her knee. The accident was not regarded as serious until signs of blood poisoning appeared.

Rose Pigman and Nic Welling, both of Jackson county, came to Worthington Saturday, armed with a marriage license issued from their home county, and proceeded to find some one to tie the matrimonial knot, finally reaching the Probate Court room, where Judge C.M. Cory accommodatingly performed the ceremony and they returned home contented and happy.

Mrs. Hans Erickson, mother of Robert Erickson, of the firm of Patterson & Erickson, died in Oregon last week. The body was cremated and the ashes will be taken by her husband to her native land of Denmark, from whence she came but a few months ago to visit her children in America. She has been ill most of the time since her arrival in this country, and was visiting with a daughter at the time of her demise. Mr. Erickson, who is visiting relatives near Brewster at the present time, will leave Monday for New York and will set sail for Denmark on Thursday.

Fred Pranket, a tailor who has been employed at a local shop at various times took on an overload of the brand that not only cheers but inebriates Tuesday afternoon and was taken into custody by Sheriff Fauskee. He was allowed to sober up until Wednesday morning, when he had a hearing before Justice Dow. He pleaded guilty to the charge, but as it was his first offense in this city, and as he has a job in Sheldon, which he was anxious to assume, the fine of $10 or fifteen days was suspended pending his good behavior for the ensuing six months, and he was released from custody and allowed to go his way rejoicing.

A quiet wedding was solemnized at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Hamstreet on Wednesday at high noon, when Nicholas Nelson of Butte, Mont., brother of Mrs. Hamstreet, was united in marriage to Miss Ruth Etta Nelson, of Monticello, Iowa, the ceremony being performed by Rev. Wm. Fletcher. The newly wed couple left on the afternoon train for Butte, Mont., where Mr. Nelson is employed in a large music store and where they will make their future home. Mr. Nelson has been coming to Worthington the past two years in the capacity of piano tuner and is quite well known here. The bride is a charming young lady with many accomplishments and will be an ideal wife. The Advance-Herald extends best wishes for their future happiness and prosperity.

Local Intelligence

A.M. Renner spent Sunday with Adrian friends.

R.L. Ferney, of Luverne, was a Worthington visitor Friday.

E. Richards, of Manson, Iowa, spent Saturday in Worthington.

R.D. Wood, of Pipestone, was in the city on business Saturday.

H. Goodwin, of Luverne, made a business trip to Worthington Friday.

W.E. Roberts, of Rushmore, was transacting business in Worthington Friday.

D.F. Bomboy, of Fairmont, was transacting business in Worthington Saturday.

E.E. Lemon and H.C. Myers, of Lake Park were Sunday visitors to Worthington.

James Mott and Orval Tupper, accompanied by lady friends, visited Luverne friends Tuesday.

Jess Hamstreet of the Brewster Tribune, spent Sunday with relatives and friends in Worthington.

Mrs. B.G. Duryea returned to her home in St. James after a visit with the family of G.A. Lincoln.

Rev. Gall, of Ellsworth, was in attendance at the Sunday school convention the first of the week.

B. Geyerman, of Brewster, was calling on relatives and transacting business in Worthington Friday.

Mrs. C.O. Barklew solicits work of laundrying lace curtains and other delicate fabrics. Phone 72-J3.

John Thomas, of Coggswell, N.D., was in Worthington Saturday and Sunday upon business matters.

Rev. Edward d'Argent, of Reading, was in Worthington Monday attending the Sunday school convention.

C.L. Mann went to Adrian Monday afternoon and attended the lecture by Father Vaughn in the evening.

Mrs. J.E. Silver, of Albert Lea, Minn., is the guest this week of her daughter, Mrs. Grant Morrison.

M.L. Campbell and W.G. Brown, of Neenah, Wis., were in the city Friday looking after business interests.

Riley Martini, of Baraboo, Wis., spent Sunday with the family of Rev. Wilder, returning home Monday afternoon.

Miss C. Heil returned to her home in St. Paul Monday morning after a pleasant visit with her friend, Mrs. Pat Colman.

Mrs. T.H. Crever went to St. Paul Monday, where she will spend a few days with her daughter, Goldie Crever.

Mrs. Nick Klaras and Mrs. Fred Trunk went to Adrian Monday to attend the lecture given by Father Vaughn.

Misses Ruth Crowe, Ruth Bromaghin and Grace Crowe, of Round Lake, were guests of Worthington friends Saturday.

Charles L. Arbes, of New Ulm, returned home Monday after a pleasant visit with his brother, P. Arbes, of this city.

Henry Rowe and wife, of Adrian, were in the city the first of the week attending the Nobles county Sunday school convention.

Ed Rathlisberger, who has been the guest of Worthington friends the past week, returned to his home in Iona, Minn., Monday morning.

Harry Barber, of Decatur, Ill., arrived in the city Monday and immediately assumed his duties as lineman for the municipal light plant.

August Williams, J. Fitzgerald and the Dwyer boys returned last week from the Rosebud reservation, where they went to file upon a claim.

Claude Farmer, of Spirit Lake, was calling on Worthington friends Saturday. Claude has many friends in Worthington who remember him for his excellent ball playing during the past season as a member of the Spirit Lake and Lake Park teams.

Walter Gilchrist left Monday for Chamberlain, S.D., where he will enter the race in the hope of securing a homestead in the Tripp county opening.

Mrs. Ernest Dwyer and children returned this week from a three weeks' visit with relatives and friends at Minneapolis and other points in the state.

Among those who went to Luverne Monday to attend the McCleary-Hammond debate were: Frank Duster, M.J. O'Connor, Ross Nelson and C.M. Crandall.

Jens Christensen left to file upon a claim in the Rosebud reservation last Monday. On his way back he will stop off at Tilden, Neb., for a visit with relatives.

A.D. Cunningham, of Craig, Mo., who has been in the city the past week with a car of apples, left Monday for Windom, where he will have a similar shipment to dispose of.

H.L. Durfee went to St. Paul Monday night where he will be in attendance at the annual grand chapter of the Royal Arch Masons which is in session there this week.

The new room of the public schools opened Monday in the basement of the library with about thirty-five scholars and is in charge of Miss Ada Ainsworth, of Council Bluffs, Ia.

Mrs. W.I. Hommas was the guest last week of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. J.S. Tryon. On Saturday she was joined by her husband, who has just returned from Cuba, and together they left Monday afternoon for their home in Des Moines, Ia.

Mr. and Mrs. I.P. Durfee, of St. Paul, are guests of relatives and friends in Worthington this week. Mr. and Mrs. Durfee have just returned from an extended western trip and are visiting in Worthington prior to taking up their residence for the winter in St. Paul.

Miss Helen P. Decker, of Scranton, Pa., is visiting at the home of Mr. and Mrs. S.N. Rose, having arrived in the city Friday. Miss Decker has been visiting in Colorado and California for several months and will spend several weeks here before returning to her home in the east.

Miss Carrie Allen returned Saturday from Minneapolis, where she has been employed as a teacher in a prominent business college. Miss Allen will remain in Worthington and open up a school for business and stenography, and also do typewriting for the general public.

Patterson, Erickson Co have on exhi8bition in Albertus' store window two beautiful silver cups which were given by the Percheron society and won by the Worthington breeders at Huron, S.D. Each cup is gold line and are trophies of which the Patterson, Erickson Co. may well be proud.

Rev. Bauman, of Luverne, and Rev. Mueller, of Brewster were in the city Monday assisting in the installation of Rev. Gerhardt Schmidt as pastor of the local branch of the German Lutheran church. Rev. Schmidt will conduct services next Sunday afternoon in the Swedish Lutheran church.

L.L. McCartney, formerly of this city but for the past six months a resident of Cut Bank, Mont., returned to Worthington Sunday. Mr. McCartney was for fourteen years connected with the Omaha depot here and was also in business in the city for several years. He has been busy shaking hands with old friends since his return, and will more than likely remain in Worthington for some time.

Word had been received here of the death at Kennewick, Washington, on September 27, of Mrs. Addie Louise Scott, daughter of E.S. Mills, formerly county auditor of Nobles county, and sister of Mrs. Hugh Mitchell, of Org. Deceased was born in Bigelow township and resided here until she reached womanhood. Her demise was caused by tuberculosis of the throat. she has many friends in Worthington and Nobles county who will be pained to learn of her death.

Mrs. J. Suddaby went to Bigelow Tuesday for a visit with friends.

Miss Frances d'Argent, of Reading, was a visitor to Worthington Tuesday.

M.C. Carr and wife returned home Tuesday from a visit with relatives at Nora Springs, Ia.

M.E. Lawton was among those who went to Luverne Monday to attend the McCleary-Hammond debate.

J.E. Thomas, who has been the guest of P.A. Johnson and family, returned to his home at Coggswell, N.D., Tuesday.

Emil Herman and Joe Nazarenus left for Dallas, S.D., Tuesday, where they will file for a claim in the rush for the opening of the Rosebud reservation.

Roy Lewis and wife, of St. Hilaire, Minn., were the guests of relatives city the first of the week. Roy also paid a visit to relatives in Wilmont. Mr. and Mrs. Lewis, who have been married but a few months, have had more than their allotment of illness, and Mr. Lewis' health is in very precarious condition at this time.

T.M. Stuart, of Minneapolis, and Al. Stewart, of Ocheyedan, Iowa, were in Worthington Sunday, making the trip from Ocheydan in an auto. Mr. Stuart has the contract for straightening the Ocheyedan creek and constructing the big drainage ditch near that village, and Mr. Stewart is his foreman. An accident to the machinery made it necessary for the gentlemen to make a hurried run to this city in order to catch the night train to Sioux Falls to secure the necessary repairs.

Cliff Loveless, son of W.W. Loveless, is confined to the hospital at Minneapolis suffering from typhoid fever. Cliff is a travelling salesman and was taken sick while upon a trip through the south and came back to Minneapolis and entered the hospital. Last summer he had the misfortune to suffer a slight heat prostration and after he was attacked by the typhoid malady he laid it to the effects of his heat experience, and it was only on his return to Minneapolis that he discovered the true situation. Advices from relatives in Minneapolis report him as getting along nicely.

Albert Bong met with a painful and most peculiar accident one day this week. He had been digging potatoes in the morning and as the spade was very dull when he went home to dinner he sharpened it and started out to the garden with the spade and a heavy iron bar thrown across his shoulder. The bar was heavy and hurt his arm so he shifted it from one shoulder to the other, but in so doing the spade fell, and severed the little toe completely from the foot. The Doctors Farrish treated and cared for the injured foot. -Sherburn Advance-Standard.

S.I. Forsberg, of Bigelow, had a business errand to Worthington Tuesday.

Philip Riley, of Sioux Valley, entered the Worthington Hospital Tuesday for a slight operation.

Fred VanHoldt, who has been suffering for the past few days with blood poisoning is recovering.

Miss Anna Neinaber, living east of Round Lake, was operated upon last Thursday for appendicitis and is recovering rapidly.

Arthur Nordlander returned to his home in Chicago Wednesday after a week's visit with Roy Anderson in Indian Lake township.

The young daughter of C. Bish had the misfortune to step upon a rusty nail a few days ago, inflicting a painful wound, which has become so inflamed to necessitate the services of a physician.

Theo Rasmussen, who has been confined to the hospital for the past week suffering from typhoid fever is doing as nicely as could be expected, and if no complications arise complete recovery is assured.

The many friends of Mrs. Kate Crawford, who formerly lived here, but now resides in Topeka, Kan., will be grieved to learn that she and her family were burned out on the 10th inst., and lost everything. The fire was of incendiary origin.

Herman Habeck, living east of town is suffering from a severe case of blood poisoning, and on Tuesday was compelled to submit to an operation upon the wound. A couple of weeks ago he ran a splinter from a plow handle into his hand and paid no attention to it until blood poisoning developed and he was compelled to seek medical attention.

Friday, October 23, 1908

Former Resident of Worthington Passes Away at Custer, Wash.

Mrs. Delia a. Buchan, mother of E.F. Buchan, of this city, and W.H. Buchan, of Bellingham, Wash., died at Custer, Wash., on October 12, death being due to a complication of troubles.

Delia A. Blandin was born at Tornby, N.Y., April 25, 1836. When about ten years of age she removed with her parents to Racine county, Wis., where she grew to womanhood. May 6, 1857, she was united in marriage to Andrew Buchan at Yorkville, Racine county, Wis., and in the spring of 1861 she and her husband removed to Sheldon, Houston county, Minn., where both united with the Presbyterian church. In the spring of 1862 her husband enlisted in the army, going first into the Indian war and afterwards south to Vicksburg, the wife returning to Wisconsin with the two sons which had in the meantime been born to the union. At the close of the war they returned to Sheldon and in the year 1872 came to Worthington, where they resided until 1888, when they removed to California, and in 1890 went to Custer, Wash., where they have since resided. Their third son, Alfred, died while they were on their way to visit Worthington in 1891, his death occurring at Ogden, Utah. At that time Mr. and Mrs. Buchan spent a year with Worthington relatives, returning again for another visit in 1904, at which time they spent seven months with their sons, Edward F. and Wm. H. Buchan.

Mrs. Buchan was an earnest Christian worker, a devoted wife and loving mother, always sacrificing for others to the full limit of her strength. For over thirty years she has been a sufferer and the strain told upon her physically, and on October 12 she passed to her reward, aged 73 years, 5 months and 17 days. She leaves to mourn her loss her husband, two sons and a multitude of sorrowing friends.

The funeral was held Tuesday afternoon from the Presbyterian church, Rev. Wilder conducting the services, and the remains were followed to the last earthly resting place by a large concourse of friends. The funeral was announced for Monday afternoon, but owing to some unforeseen intervention the funeral party were unable to reach Worthington on Monday as was expected. The remains were accompanied on their long journey by her aged husband and son, William. The sympathy of the entire community is extended to the surviving relatives in their great bereavement.

Taken Ill at Hotel.

William Mosser, a traveling salesman from Indianapolis, Ind., was taken to the Worthington hospital Monday morning suffering from an attack of liver trouble. Mr. Mosser, who is a very large man, arrived in the city Sunday and registered at the Worthington, and was apparently in good health. On Monday morning he was stricken suddenly, and although the employes of the hotel could hear his calls for aid it was some minutes before they could locate where they came from, and Mr. Mosser was finally discovered sitting on the steps leading to the toilet room in the basement. It was evident that he was in great distress and a physician was called, and upon the patient expressing a desire to enter a hospital a conveyance was called and he was removed to that institution, and is now out of danger.

Will Become Citizens.

Two applications for naturalization were filed with the county clerk this week, and will come up for hearing February 15th, 1909.

Hjalmer Soderhohn, a native of Sweden, who now resides at Reading, arrived at New York, July 30th, 1903, and likes the United States so much that he desires to become a citizen and has so expressed his intention. He names as witness J.O. Soderhohn and Carl J. Soderhohn, both of whom reside at Reading.

The other man to declare his intention of becoming an American citizen was Gerhardt Albert John Oolman, a native of Holland, but at present a resident of Lismore. His advent into the United States is given in his application of April 4, 1891, and the place New York. His witnesses are Robt. Knips and Robt. Sell.

Inspection and Ball.

The quarterly inspection of Company F, 2nd M.N.G., will take place at the Masonic hall, on Thursday evening, October 29th, at which time Maj. Mollison, of Faribault will be present and act as inspecting officer. After the inspection the members of Co. F will give a grand military ball, to which all are invited. O'Connor's harp orchestra will dispense its finest music for the occasion and it is anticipated that a big crowd will be present and take part in the festivities.


Rev. TenBroeck was a Brewster visitor Tuesday.

J.A. Cashel was transacting business in Brewster Tuesday.

Miss Emily Plotts is confined to her home this week by illness.

H.A. Lair came over from Wilmont Monday for grand jury duty.

Mrs. Will Hill is on the sick list this week, a sufferer from grippe.

Mrs. Rev. Wilder is improving rapidly from her recent surgical operation.

R. Sell and R. Knipps, of Lismore, were in Worthington on business Monday.

H. Slater, Wilmot, was a business visitor to Worthington Monday afternoon.

Mrs. I.P. Fox, of Verdi, Minn., is a guest of Mrs. Geo W. Wilson this week.

Miss Hattie Knudson, of Spirit Lake, spent Monday with Worthington friends.

Wm. Tuttle, of Lismore, was circulating among Worthington friends Monday.

C. Synkerson is in Rushmore this week, where he has a large painting contract.

Thos. Gunderson and R.E. Davis, of Adrian, are serving on the grand jury this week.

Carl Egge, postoffice inspector for this district, was in the city Thursday on official business.

For Sale or Exchange -- Sioux Falls property for Worthington property. W.I. Carpenter.

Mrs. Dr. Dodge returned home Wednesday from a two weeks' visit with Minneapolis friends.

A.O. Steffins and wife, of Red Wing, Minn., are visiting Mrs. Steffin's mother, Mrs. Biltgen.

Thos. P. Noonan had business which brought him over from Lismore to Worthington Monday.

Dan. Fritz, of Adrian, is attending court this week; doing service as a member of the grand jury.

George Bonds, the Reading auctioneer, accompanied by his wife spent Monday afternoon in Worthington.

John Webster returned home Monday from a combined business trip and visit with friends at Decorah, Iowa.

A marriage license was issued Tuesday to Henry Hartman, of Jackson county, and Lottie Caver, of Nobles county.

C.R. Hamstreet, of Clear Lake, Iowa, an uncle of ye editor, arrived here yesterday for a few days visit at our home.

J.F. Flynn left the first of the week for Vale Ore., where he goes with a company of land seekers from Ellsworth and vicinity.

H.L. Blake, prohibition candidate for legislature for the 15th district, was in the city Saturday and Sunday looking after his political fences.

W.W. Martin, a forger who operated in Mankato a short time ago has been apprehended at Omaha, where he is under arrest charged with a similar offense.

F.A. Arens, of Lake Park, came up Tuesday night and left Wednesday morning for Fulda, where he has charge of the sale of a car of apples for I.F. Kelley.

Art Rose was in Mankato Wednesday looking after the publication of his history of Nobles County, which is now in the hands of the printer and will shortly be ready for distribution.

Mrs. J.E. Norris, who was operated upon at the Worthington hospital last Thursday for acute appendicitis, is making a rapid recovery and will be able to return home in a few days.

E.F. Buchan has made some extensive alterations and improvements in his residence property on third avenue, and the property will be occupied in the near future by Dr. Mork and family.

J.H. West, formerly chief engineer of the municipal light plant will leave about November 5th for Hartley, Iowa, where he will assume charge of the municipal plant of the village.

Dr. Mork and wife returned home Saturday evening from a visit to their old home at Wook Lake, Minn. The round trip was made in the Dr.'s auto and the doctor reports a pleasant trip.

Mrs. Nellie Mott entertained the Royal Neighbors last Wednesday evening. Refreshments were served and an enjoyable time is reported by those present.

Don Dunn, who was horribly lacerated by a barbed wire fence while attempting to hold a runaway horse a short time ago, has recovered and was discharged from the hospital last Saturday.

H.A. Eckholdt, of Rochester, was in the city Tuesday on legal business. Mr. Eckholdt enjoys the distinction of being one of the oldest Scandinavian attorneys in the state from point of active and continuous service.

Neal Leverich, of Mitchell, S.D., was calling on friends in Worthington Monday. Neal's mother is quite ill at Rochester, Minn., and he was called there last week, and stopped off here with friends on his way back to work at Mitchell, where he is engaged as brakeman.

James Addington last Saturday put in an extra chair and employed an extra barber to operate same, making a five chair shop on Saturday. The innovation was well received by his patrons, as the usual waits were in a measure curtailed. The same arrangement will be in force hereafter.

A.P. Darling recently purchased a pair of horses at a sale and on Monday afternoon they gave him an exciting chase by running away. The animals were caught before any great damage was done, but Mr. Darling had a footrace after them which furnished him considerable exercise.

Local Intelligence

M.E. Lawton was a Brewster visitor Tuesday.

Miss Bess Loveless spent Wednesday with Org friends.

G. Felton, of Lake Park, was a business visitor Friday.

Ira Mishler made a business trip to Brewster Tuesday.

A. Hardow has accepted a position as clerk at Barber's store.

M.F. Miller, of Hull, Ia., was a Worthington visitor Friday.

A. O. Steffins and wife spent Wednesday with friends in Bigelow.

For Rent -- New six-room cottage on lake shore. John Ronan.

Joe Albertson, of Harris, Ia., paid a visit to Worthington friends Friday.

Percy Ross came down from Minneapolis and spent Sunday with relatives.

Henry Albert, of Round Lake, had business in the county seat Tuesday.

Y.E. Wiley, of Brewster, was a business caller in Worthington Tuesday.

M. Marshall came down from Brewster Sunday for a visit with friends.

W.F. Bartley, of Dexter, spent Saturday and Sunday with friends in this city.

W.R. Grapes, of Adrian, was transacting business in Worthington Tuesday.

Mrs. W.T. Hayes entertained Miss Wykell, of Mankato, a few days this week.

J.S. Cocks, of Kinbrae, visited at the home of Frank Eastman and family Sunday.

J.H. Cox, of Falls City, spent Saturday among business friends in Worthington.

J.O. Jones, of Dennison, Ia., was transacting business in Worthington Friday.

J.W. Thomas, of Superior, Neb., was in the city on a business mission Friday.

Attorney J.F. Flynn went to Ellsworth Monday for a short visit with relatives.

Guy C. Kelley and wife, of Jackson, Neb., were guests of friends in this city Friday.

WANTED -- Man and wife to work on farm. Address Ira Sharp, Worthington, Minn.

S.M. Stewart left Tuesday afternoon for an extended business trip to Salt Lake City.

M.C. Carr and wife returned home Friday from a visit with relatives at Nora Springs, Ia.

A.W. Luehrs left Wednesday for Minneapolis, where he will remain for a couple of weeks.

Mrs. Nary L. Ames returned home last week from a visit with friends in Clayton county, Iowa.

Miss Thilda Strand left Monday morning for Mankato, where she will enter business college.

W.E. Moses, of Minneapolis, was in the city the first of the week looking after business interests.

E.C. Himley and Edwin Anderson, of Magnolia, spent Sunday in Worthington, the guests of friends.

Miss Vera Shell, of Sibley, was the guest the first of the week, of Miss Margie Shell and other friends.

Mrs. C.O. Barklew solicits work of laundrying lace curtains and other delicate fabrics. Phone 72-J3.

Mrs. Al Dougherty, of Rushmore, spent Wednesday in Worthington, the guest of Mrs. G.V. Pettit.

Sam Thompson, of Sibley, was in the city a few hours Monday en route to Rushmore on a business trip.

Manly P. Thornton, of Adrian, was in the city Monday attending the call of the calendar of the district court.

For Sale -- Good family horse; also buggy and harness, or will trade for good milch cow. A.J. Kammal.

J.P. Dunn returned home Saturday from Chamberlain, S.D., where he registered for the Tripp county land opening.

For Rent: One half of the Maccabee hall; will partition off to suit tenant. Address F.C. Stitser, Dorris, Cali.

Fred McNair left Monday for Chicago, where he will remain for the winter if he can secure suitable employment.

Miss L.C. Davis returned to her home in Sioux City Monday afternoon after a short visit at the home of M.C. Carr and family.

Mrs. B. Frank Teale returned to her home in Belle Fourche, S.D., Tuesday after an extended visit with Mr. and Mrs. S.V. Wykoff.

J.W. Gerber and wife, and Harold W. Gerber came over from Luverne Sunday and spent the day with Worthington friends.

Mrs. John Wilson and Mrs. Alex Cree are guests of St. Paul friends this week, having gone to that city Friday for a short visit.

Mr. and Mrs. B. Gardner, who have been guests at the home of W.M. Evans, returned to their home in Gowrie, Iowa, Wednesday afternoon.

Robert Wilson, of Buffalo Lake, spent Sunday with Worthington friends and left for a visit with Brewster friends Monday morning.

Mrs. J.B. Mott, mother of Mrs. E.F. Buchan, deceased, died at her home in Estherville, Ia., last Friday, death being due to advanced age and complications.

N. Plemp, manager of the Lismore Creamery, was in the city Wednesday enroute for Sioux Falls, S.D., where he will attend the South Dakota Butter Makers' Convention.

Mrs. J.A. Murray, of Duluth, Minn., Mrs. M.W. Nichols and Mrs. Mary Filenworth, of Monona, Iowa sisters and niece of J.A. Smith, are guests at the home of the latter this week.

Mrs. Frank Glasgow returned home the latter part of the week from St. Paul, where she went to purchase a new stock of millinery. She has also just received a new line of Gage hats.

Mrs. C.B. Ward and Mrs. Huxtable and Miss Ella Foust, of Vinton, Iowa, aunt and cousin of Mrs. Anderson returned to Worthington on the night train bringing the ladies with them as their guests for a few days.

Mrs. H.J. Ludlow returned home Monday from a visit with relatives at Ripon, Wis. Her daughter, Helen, went to St. Paul Friday, where she visited with friends and on Monday returned home with her mother.

Miss Jeannette Clark returned home Monday from an extended visit with friends at Mitchell, S.D. She also went over to Chamberlain to witness the rush for registration for the Rosebud opening, but did not register.

Wm. Oxford, of Fulda, was in the city Saturday on his way to Terre Haute, Ind., where he went to attend the funeral of his mother, who died suddenly on Friday last of heart failure.

Dr. Gould is putting in a cement floor and building an addition to his veterinary hospital. When the contemplated improvements are completed, Dr. Gould will have one of the best equipped modern veterinary hospitals in this part of the country.

Jens Christensen returned home Sunday after a pleasant visit with relatives and friends at Tilden, Neb. He reports crops as fine in that community and everything flourishing. Jens is remodeling his house and building an addition to his barn. Lestico Bros. are doing the work.

Rev. G.A. Cahoon left Monday afternoon for Elmore, Minn., whither he was called by the death of a relative. On his way back home he will stop off at Mankato to read proof upon the conference year book. Mr. Cahoon is secretary of the conference, hence the duty of revising the proofs of the publication devolves upon him.

H.C. Francks, a conductor on the Omaha road, mention of whose serious illness was made in a recent issue of this paper, has recovered sufficiently to be up and around again. This will be received with pleasure by Mr. Francks' many Worthington friends, among whom he formerly resided before removing to Minneapolis, and all will join in wishing him total recovery.

In the presence of some fifty or sixty friends and relatives, who had assembled to witness the ceremony, Rev. Wilder united in marriage Mr. Charles Hoffmeister and Ethel Rakerd Tuesday evening at 8:30, at the home of the bride's uncle, John Bouquin, in Ewington township, Jackson county. An elaborate wedding supper was served after the ceremony and all departed wishing the newly wedded couple all that is choicest in life.

Windom was well represented in the county seat Saturday. Among those we noticed on our streets were: G.H. Sanberg, A. Jenkins, A. Hanson, C.J. Morck, G.W. Gustafson, Dudley Brady, Ben Frost, Howard Yerks, A.B. Rice, J. Grotte and O. Grotte. This fact is accounted for by the contest between the Windom and Worthington football teams and most of the above were here as representatives of the Windom team.

Kicked by Horse.

Herbert Steinman, of Elk township, sustained a dislocated jaw as a result of a kick administered by a work horse Saturday morning. A physician was summoned from Worthington who rendered the necessary surgical attention, and at this time he is getting along as well as could be expected. It will, however, be some time before Mr. Steinman will forget his painful experience and hereafter he will exercise care in his manner of approaching the business end of horses.

Friday, October 30, 1908

Life of Charles J. Smallwood One Well Worth Copying.

As noted in these columns last week, Charles J. Smallwood was suddenly stricken with death on Thursday afternoon last, the details of which were given at that time. In his death the village of Worthington loses one of its most worthy and influential citizens, a loss which we can ill afford to sustain, but "God works in mysterious ways his wonders to perform."

The funeral services were held from his late residence on Sunday afternoon, conducted by Rev. Wm. Fletcher and were largely attended, but interment was not made until Monday afternoon, when a private funeral was held attended only by immediate relatives, with short prayer service at the cemetery.

Mr. Smallwood was one man of whom no one spoke aught but good. He had no enemies. To know him was to like him, and his death cast a gloom over Worthington greater than any death that has occurred in the village for many months. Out of respect to the deceased the public schools were dismissed on Friday afternoon and again on Monday afternoon, the telephone office, of which the deceased was the proprietor was closed during the services Sunday afternoon, and again Monday afternoon, and on Monday all the business houses in the village were closed from 3 o'clock to 4:30 p.m., as a mark of the esteem. It was a fitting tribute to a worthy man.

Charles J. Smallwood was born in McHenry county, Ill., September 25, 1865, and died Thursday, October 22, 1908, consequently was but a few days over 43 years of age, his father Thomas B. Smallwood, being born in Yorkshire, England, but removed to this country when a young man, and settled in McHenry county, Ill., where the subject of this sketch was born.

At an early age he removed with his parents to Milwaukee where he received his education in the public schools and an academy. After he had finished school, Mr. Smallwood learned telegraphy and was first employed as operator for the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul railway and was promoted to the position of train dispatcher. In 1881 he accepted a position as train dispatcher on the C., St. P. M. & O. railroad, with headquarters at St. Paul, but after about a year of service at that point he was promoted to the position of chief train dispatcher for the Omaha with Omaha as headquarters, where he staid until 1893, when he removed with his family to Worthington where he has since resided.

He was engaged for a number of years in the grocery and lumber business and put in the first telephone system at Worthington, starting with about 45 subscribers, but by energy and efficient service he built up the system, until at the present time there are a trible over 400 subscribers with a number of rural routes operated in connection.

He was married at Rochester, Minn., August 11, 1881 to Miss Florence Moulton, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J.P. Moulton, of this city. To this union were born three children, Justin T., at present a practicing physician in Minneapolis, Mary E., wife of attorney J.A. Cashel and Charles Moulton.

Mr. Smallwood had been honored by his fellow citizens by election to various village offices, all of which he filled with credit to the village and honor to himself. In 1895 he was president of the village council and for the past eight years has been a member of the board of education, serving as treasurer of that body. He was also secretary of the Chautauqua association and a member of the Carnegie library board.

He leaves to mourn his untimely death, a wife, three children, as above mentioned, a brother, Clifford Smallwood of Rockfield, Wis., and a sister, Mrs. A. Pagels of Milwaukee, besides a multitude of his fellow townsmen. He will be greatly missed by all who were accustomed to meeting and dealing with him either in a social or business way, and the sympathy of the entire community goes out tot eh sorrowing wife and family in their great bereavement.

Submits to Operation.

W.H. Buchan on Friday submitted to an operation for the removal of a small tumor from his right foot, from which he has suffered for some time. The operation was a success in every way and he is now at Dr. Weidow & Mork's hospital where he will remain until his wound is entirely healed.

Advertised Letters.

The following letters remain uncalled for in the postoffice at Worthington. Parties calling for same will please say "advertised." Miss Mary Carlson, Miss Ida Olson, Mr. Nybergleave, S.B. Latzer, Harold Gelber, Mrs. W.A. Bartlett, Johnnie Burton, Ole O. Solum, W.J. Teal, Miss Belle Harn, Thompson & Monroe, H.O. Tellier.


L.J. Hart of St. Louis, is the guest of his brother, A.E. Hart, this week.

The Twentieth Century club met Tuesday afternoon with Mrs. C.A. Sibley.

Mrs. E.C. Pannell was the guest of friends in the twin cities a few days this week.

Dr. A.b. Williams, of Wilmont, was a visitor to the county seat Wednesday.

C.E. Sims and Fred Jobins were in Miloma Wednesday on business for the tile works.

Dr. A.M. Vail of Rock Rapids, was in the city Monday on professional business.

Miss Marie Rosdell, of Mankato, is the guest of the family of Rev. G.A. Cahoon.

Will Eckstrom left Tuesday for St. Paul, where he will remain for three or four weeks.

Oscar Lake of Random Lake, Wis., was the guest the first of the week of Charles Anton and family.

Mrs. James Montgomery and daughter, Ruth, were in Minneapolis Tuesday and Wednesday of this week.

Mrs. A.C. Dickens of Heron Lake, was the guest of her mother, Mrs. Humiston, the first of the week.

Rev. C.M. Johnson, pastor of the Swedish Mission church, will preach at the Robinson school house, 8 miles south of town, Sunday at 3:30 p.m.

Among those who went from Worthington to Luverne with Gov. Johnson Tuesday were: Maj. Harry Hobson, W. Fagerstrom, A. Thomte, and John Sayther.

F. Kieth of Reading, came over Wednesday and removed his household goods to that village, where he is now employed. His family arrived from Iowa Sunday.

Editor E.E. Loverin of the Ellsworth News, was circulating among Worthington friends Tuesday and remained to hear Gov. Johnson and Congressman Hammond.

James Mann, who has been up at Mountain Lake for the past week in charge of Kelly's apple sale, returned home Monday to substitute upon one of the rural routes.

Misses Rose Perry and Lulu Lamm of Adrian, operators in the telephone exchange at that place, were in attendance at the funeral of C.J. Smallwood, Monday afternoon.

James Lane of Adrian, was the guest Tuesday of Loren Clark and sisters. Mr. Lane has been on a visit to relatives in Southern Iowa and stopped off for a day or so on his way home for a visit with the Worthington relatives.

Herman Nelson of Slayton, candidate for the legislature on the republican ticket, was in the city Monday and Tuesday, looking after his political interests and shaking hands with friends. Mr. Nelson expresses himself as well satisfied with the outlook in this district.

Frank Crane and family of Breckenridge, Minn., arrived in the city Saturday for a visit with his sister, Mrs. F.R. Durfee. They left Tuesday afternoon for Mankato, where they will spend a few days with relatives, returning to Breckenridge the latter part of the week.

J.P. Vail, who recently returned from an extended trip through the east, will leave Saturday for Lynden, Wash., where he will visit with his son for a couple of months, after which he will make a tour of the Pacific coast, visiting most of the principal cities and will spend considerable time in Los Angeles. He expects to be absent about six months.

Word has been received here that Roy Lewis, mention of whose illness was made in these columns some weeks ago, is failing rapidly at the home of his parents at Wilmont. He is afflicted with tuberculosis, and the news that he is not improving will be received with genuine regret by his many friends in Worthington. Mrs. Lewis, who has also been quite ill at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. James Montgomery, in this city, is much improved in health.

Ill With Typhoid.

Harris Darling, who has been in St. Paul for some time returned home last Saturday, and as he was not feeling well, a physician was called who diagnosed the case as typhoid fever. He is at present at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. A.P. Darling, where he is receiving every care, and a rapid recovery is anticipated.

Local Intelligence

Geo. Mohr of Sibley was a Tuesday visitor to this city.

H.G. Myers spent Sunday with his family in this city.

Jacob Wilson spent Monday with Sioux City friends.

John D. Wood made a business trip to Heron Lake Monday.

R.W. Terry of Slayton, was a Worthington visitor Friday.

Dr. Williams of Wilmont, was in the city on business Friday.

R.H. Dieckhoff left Monday for a business trip to St. Louis.

M.A. Mattison of the Rushmore Enterprise was in the city Tuesday.

C. Helm came down from Brewster Saturday on a business mission.

John Hodge of Estherville, was transacting business in this city Saturday.

Manly P. Thornton of Adrian, was in the city Tuesday on legal business.

John Buhner and wife of Fulda, spent the day in Worthington Friday.

Mrs. Dr. Gholz was the guest the first of the week of friends in Spirit Lake.

Fred Glovke of Lismore, made a business call on Worthington friends Friday.

D.E. Harvey of Brewster, had business which called him to this city Monday.

Manuel Cross of Adrian, was circulating among Worthington friends Monday.

George A. Fish and L.L. Schwab of Fulda, were business visitors to Worthington Friday.

H.G. Hawkins of Mason City, Iowa, was calling on Worthington friends Saturday.

Mrs. E.K. Smith spent a few days with her parents at Rock Rapids, Iowa, this week.

H.L. Kimmel and D. Sullivan of Reading were business visitors to Worthington Saturday.

Harry Ferguson of Luverne, was in the city Monday between trains, enroute to Mankato.

C.F. Modisett of Bigelow, came up Tuesday to call on friends and take in the democratic rally.

Mrs. Harvey Rew and Mrs. Dr. C.P. Dolan spent a few days this week with Sioux City friends.

Miss Blanche Matteson came down from Minneapolis to attend the funeral of Mr. Smallwood.

T.F. Carey of Ellsworth, was in the city Monday on business pertaining to the probate court.

Miss Marguerite Becker, who is working in Brewster, spent Sunday with her parents in the city.

J.S. Randolph and wife of Brewster were calling upon Worthington friends Tuesday.

Dr. H.P. Ritchie of St. Paul, was in the city Saturday assisting local physicians with an operation.

Mrs. J. Casereto and daughter, Olga, left Monday afternoon for a short visit with relatives at Sioux Falls.

Miss Grace Smith left Monday for Weiser, Idaho, where she will visit for some time with relatives and friends.

Virgil Fellows who has been working at Pierre, S.D., for some time, has returned to Worthington.

George A. Ogle of Chicago, was in the city Sunday, called here by the sudden death of his friend C.J. Smallwood.

Dr. Jensen of Beaver Creek, spent a few minutes between trains Tuesday with his class mate, Dr. B.O. Mork.

Mrs. A.R. Albertus and her guest, Miss Kate Morris, went to Minneapolis last Thursday for a visit with friends.

Miss Prue Town returned home Tuesday afternoon from an extended trip to Bemidji and other points in the state.

Mrs. Homer J. Vosburg of Oakland, Cal., returned home Monday afternoon after a visit with S.S. Smith and family.

A.J. Schaeffer of the Adrian Democrat, was in attendance at the Johnson-Hammond speech Tuesday afternoon.

Karl Kent Smith, one of the Advance-Herald force spent a few days in Brewster, assisting the Brewster Tribune.

Mrs. J.S. Cocks returned to her home in Kinbrae Monday morning, after a visit with Mr. and Mrs. Frank Eastman.

Rev. Swan went to Walnut Grove, Minn., Monday, where he attended the district missionary meeting of the Swedish Lutheran church.

Milo White and wife, of Chatfield, Minn., were in the city a few days this week, the guests of friends and attending the funeral of C.J. Smallwood.

Miss Helen P. Decker, who has been the guest for a couple of weeks of Samuel Rose and family, returned to her home in Scranton, Pa., Monday.

Supt. Slaker of the Omaha road was in the city for a short time Monday, his private car being trasferred here from the main line to the Sioux Falls branch.

Charles Mitchell, formerly in the drug business in this city, but now located at Minneapolis, was renewing old acquaintances in Worthington the first of the week.

Harry King and Robt. Lueck of New Germany, Carver county, spent a few days with Wm. Burchard this week and took a nice lot of wild ducks as momentoes of [The rest of this article got cut off.]

Al Grant of Luverne, who installed the Grand in this city, and has been operating a similar playhouse in Luverne, has remodeled the same and put in a stage and scenery and will run vaudeville in connection.

Charles Wilson, superintendent of this division of the Rock Island railroad, accompanied by his wife, came up from Estherville and were present at the funeral services for C.J. Smallwood Sunday afternoon, returning home Monday.

H.D. Wendt of Sibley was in the city Tuesday. Mr. Wendt, who with his brother has been operating the Sibley creamery, reports that the effort to place the basis is proving a successful venture, and that in the near future the business will be conducted along co-operative lines.

Barron, Wisconsin, was last week visited by a disastrous conflagration, which destroyed over $70,000 worth of property, and among those who lost heavily was Thos. Dovery, formerly editor of the Advance in this city. The building was occupied by a jeweler and a banker and was a total loss with no insurance.

Last Saturday was the birthday anniversary of Mrs. J.E. Erickson, and accordingly several of the neighbors were invited in Saturday afternoon to assist her in celebrating the event. The afternoon was spent in social intercourse and refreshments were served, after which the guests departed, wishing their hostess many happy returns of her natal day.

The ladies of the W.R.C. gave a supper and quilt raffle at the Grand Army hall Friday night. The supper was so liberally patronized that late comers could not be served, owing to the fact that a larger crowd was in attendance than the ladies anticipated. Miss Bessie Scott held No. 10, which proved to be the lucky one, and drew the quilt.

Attorney John Flynn and Arnold Tschirgi left Tuesday afternoon for Vale, Oregon. This is a section of the west, that in the minds of observing and dependable men is a coming fruit district. It compares very favorably with the Palisade, Colo., district, where Harry Flynn had been located for a number of years. --Ellsworth News.

A new innovation at the morning service at the Congregational church is the addition of a male quartette. The quartette is under the direction of Miss Jeannette Carlton, and the efforts of the singers upon their first appearance last Sunday morning were heartily appreciated by those in attendance at the service. The gentlemen composing the quartette are Ben Hilyard, Joe Hilyard, George Lawson and [The rest of this article got cut off.]

Art Rose went to Mankato Monday to read proof upon his history of Nobles county. His contract with the firm who are issuing the work, calls for delivery of the finished books on or before November 18th, and Art says that present indications point to the contract being fulfilled. He has also had a number of the photos which appear in the book bound in an album which he will probably place upon the market as souvenirs of Nobles county. The reporter had the pleasure of looking through one of these albums and can truthfully say that it is a work which all will appreciate and should find a ready sale.

October Term Completed Wednesday - Cases Disposed of.

The October term of district court has finished its labors and adjourned. The jury was dismissed on Monday, and the court finished up Wednesday. The following cases were disposed of this week:

M.F. Smith vs. B.F. Holland. Dismissed because of failure of plaintiff to appear.

Henry Wolfer vs. J. Michelsen et al. Dismissed.

First National Bank, of Madison, Wis. vs. Haken Johnson. Settled and dismissed.

John Ackerman vs. John Scholtes, et al. Dismissed.

Mark Graves vs. John M. Glovka. Dismissed.

Milton Herbert vs. Clara B. Swanman. Dismissed.

C.M. Olson, et al. vs. Henry Teitenberg. Continued by consent of both parties to next general term of court.

Fred Hartwig, et al. vs. John Buhner. Verdict for plaintiff in sum of $130. Stay of proceedings for thirty days ordered.

Mike Mead vs. Fred L. Humiston, et al. Settled and dismissed.

State of Minnesota vs. Albert Thompson. Dismissed.

State of Minnesota vs. W.E. Roberts. Defendant failed to appear, and judgement ordered against him for taxes, penalties and costs.

State vs. W.E. Roberts. Same finding as above.

State vs. M.F. Smith. Judgement entered against defendant for taxes, penalties, interest and costs.

C. Synkerson vs. J.F. Ulrich, et ux. Continued to next general term of court.

State of Minnesota vs. Lawrence Esser. Dismissed by plaintiff paying costs of action.

State of Minnesota vs. F.A. Zehringer. Continued to next general term of court.

State of Minnesota, vs. Fred Pabst, charged with assault in third degree. Fine ordered of $50 and costs amounting in all to $97.40, or imprisonment in county jail for not to exceed 100 day. Fine paid and defendant and bondsmen released.

State of Minnesota vs. Ben Berning, uttering forged instrument. Sentenced to state reformatory at hard labor.

State of Minnesota vs. August Nelson, larceny in second degree. Sentenced to state reformatory at hard labor.


John Schreiber returned to Milwaukee Tuesday.

Mrs. G.C. Winchell made a trip to Fulda Friday.

Mrs. J.S. Cocks returned from Worthington Monday.

E.W. Bletter, who formerly lived here, was renewing old acquaintances Monday and Tuesday.

Nic. Fox and Mr. Yordan, both of Chicago, have been visiting at the home of Mr. and Mrs. J.B. Foehr, Mr. Foehr being Mr. Fox's brother-in-law.

Mr. and Mrs. W.J. Bilman, of Paulina, Iowa, parents of Mrs. J.A. Gardner arrived Wednesday to make the Gardner home happy for a week or so by their presence.

Ground was broken Tuesday morning for the new bank building, by contractor John Locker and a force of workmen who arrived from Lakefield Monday. The work for the laying the foundation is being vigorously prosecuted, and, the weather permitting, the superstructure will be rushed to completion as rapidly as possible.

----End Transcription----


Microfilm, Worthington Advance; Minnesota Historical Society, St. Paul, MN; obtained November, 2007.

If you would like more information,
please contact Terri Mindock

The banner below has been added by the website host, and does not reflect any promotion by the author of these pages.