Search billions of records on

Lane-Blood Genealogy
You are here:  Home  >  MN newspaper articles  >  transcription

Newspaper Articles
from Worthington Advance
 November, 1908

Use the EDIT > FIND function on your browser to search this page.
To search the rest of this site, go to the HOME page (link above)
and use the "Search this site" box.

Friday, November 6, 1908

Death of Mrs. Nebendahl

Mrs. Anna Nebendahl, wife of Louis Nebendahl, died Saturday morning from tuberculosis. Mrs. Nebendahl had not been feeling well for some time, but death came suddenly at the end. On the evening previous she seemed to be feeling better, but on Saturday morning she took a turn for the worse and passed away. The remains were taken to Keystone, Iowa, Sunday afternoon for interment.


Mrs. O.F. Johnson and children are visiting relatives here this week.

Dr. and Mrs. L.R. Gholz are sojourning in Spirit Lake, Iowa, this week.

Otis Engelbretsen made a business trip to the twin cities Wednesday morning.

Corporal George King and brother, Quincy, attended militia drill last Tuesday night.

Ole Johnson, of Slayton, arrived here last Wednesday for a short visit with relatives.

Miss Anna Erlandson, of Rushmore, was visiting friends in this neighborhood last Sunday.

Dr. J.W. Andrews, mayor of Mankato, was in the city Monday night and Tuesday on business.

The ladies aid society of the German Evangelical church met with Mrs. Henry Pfeil last Thursday.

J.M. Addington went to Sibley Tuesday afternoon and assisted the Sibley orchestra Tuesday night.

Mrs. P.A. Christensen, of Hills, arrived Tuesday afternoon for a visit with James Mackay and family.

Mrs. P.C. Anderson, accompanied by Bennie and Raymond, returned Monday from a short visit at Round Lake.

The W.C.T.U. will meet with Mrs. Voak Friday afternoon, Nov. 13th, at 3 o'clock. A special program will be given.

Mrs. A.C. Fincke, wife of the publisher of the Hills Crescent, was in the city Tuesday, the guest of Dr. B.O. Mork and wife.

John Rabenberg is home from Meadowlands, Minn., on a visit. He says the forest fires came within four miles of his place. That is plenty close enough to scare most of us.

Mrs. Jens Christensen was summoned to Tilden, Neb., Monday morning by the serious illness of her father at that place. Her many friends regret to learn that he is very low.

The seat sale for the John Eberly Concert Company, the second number of the Worthington lyceum course, will open for holders of season tickets at 10 o'clock Monday morning, Nov. 9th.

A harvest home supper will be given by the ladies aid society of the Swedish Lutheran church at the Wass school house next Monday evening, Nov. 6th. Everyone is cordially invited to be present.

Miss Minnie Green, state organizer of the W.C.T.U., will address the local organization on November 18th. The place of holding the meeting will be announced in these columns next week.

Lecture "Dawn of the Millenium," by evangelist E.H. Draper at the A.O.U.W. hall Sunday, November 8th, at 3 p.m. Admission free. No collection. All are cordially invited to attend.

J.H. Scott, John Fitch, Aug. Goelz, J.R. Selby, E.A. Payne, and Z.M. Smith composed a party who went to Edgemond, S.D., Tuesday to take a look at the country in that vicinity with a view to purchasing some land.

Dr. H. Weidow went to Sibley Saturday, where he assisted Dr. Houg in an operation.

Dr. B.O. Mork and wife returned home Tuesday from Wood Lake, Minn., where they attended a golden wedding anniversary, given by Mr. and Mrs. Tibbils, who are relatives of Mrs. Mork. A feature of the golden wedding was the presence on this occasion of nine people who were present at the original marriage.

H.J. Blume, the photographer, has recently placed a neat sign in front of his studio. It consists of a hollow box into which have been inserted small glass vials in such a manner as to spell the photographer's name, and at night an electric light makes a sign which can be read at quite a distance. It is a trifle out of the ordinary in the way of signs and is the handiwork of the photographer himself.

Last Friday evening a number of neighbors and friends of Mrs. N. Klaras dropped in to bid her goodbye on account of the fact that she was about to remove to St. James, and they presented her with a beautiful chocolate set as a token of the esteem in which she is held and after expressing their regret that her husband's work makes it imperative that they reside in St. James and partaking of elaborate refreshments which were served the guests departed. Mr. and Mrs. Klaras are estimable people and it is with regret  that Worthington parts with them. The Advance-Herald joins with their many friends in expressing regret and wishing them health, wealth, and prosperity.


Wednesday morning at St. Adrian church, Adrian, occurred the wedding of Mr. A.M. Renner of Worthington to Miss Marie Roll, of Adrian. The ceremony was performed at nine o'clock a.m., Rev. Father Schels officiating. The happy couple came to Worthington on the afternoon train and left on the main line for Chicago and other points, to be absent about a week, when they will return to Worthington and at once begin housekeeping in the property recently vacated by H.L. Durfee, situated on Third ave.

The groom is the popular manager of the Western Implement Co., and the bride is one of Adrian's most popular young ladies, and the congratulations of their many friends will now be in order.

Inspection and Ball.

On Thursday evening of last week occurred the annual inspection of Co. F, the inspection being conducted by Major Mollison of Faribault. Company F turned out fifty-one men, including officers and was highly commended by the inspection officer. After the inspection the annual military ball was held in the Masonic hall with about thirty couples in attendance from Worthington and near-by towns, and O'Connor's orchestra furnished its best music for the occasion.

Major Hart and Capt. Clark of Minneapolis were present at the inspection, and together with Major Mollison remained in the city for a day or two following the inspection for a hunting trip with Capt. S.S. Smith.

Death of G.W. Hill.

The death of George W. Hill occurred early Monday morning at his residence on Ninth street. Mr. Hill had been ill for several months from Bright's disease and heart trouble, and his death was not unexpected. He was a trifle over 58 years of age at the time of his death. The funeral was held Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock from his late residence, Rev. Wilder conducting the services. He leaves to mourn his demise, his widow and four children, Mrs. R. Mahling, of this city, Frank and Will, of Sioux City, Iowa, and John of Worthington.

Entertained Scholars.

Mrs. John Peterson and Mrs. H.J. Blume on Monday night jointly entertained their Sunday school classes at the home of the former. About sixteen boys and girls were present and participated heartily in the games. After they had partaken heartily of the refreshments served by the ladies the young folks took their departure voting their teachers to be the "best ever."

Graham Lakes Wedding.

On Wednesday evening at eight o'clock, at the home of the bride's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Holmes, in Graham Lakes township, occurred the wedding of Samuel Jenkins and Miss Mamie Holmes. The ceremony was performed in the presence of about seventy guests and the happy couple were the recipients of many useful and valuable presents. An elaborate wedding supper was served. The date was also the sixty-second anniversary of the birth of the bride's father, which gives an additional significance to the event.


County seat callers in Kinbrae, Monday were Messrs Patterson, Schroeder, and Darling.

A call between trains Monday, was made in Kinbrae, by Mr. H.L. Bond of Lakefield.

Visitors from our village to Fulda, Thursday were Mrs. C.W. Davis and daughter Violet.

Messrs. B.N. Boodlseon [Boodleson?] and Andrew Torkelson were transacting business in Kinbrae Saturday.

Attorney Tierney, of Fulda, visited Kinbrae and Dundee last Friday on legal business.

Partakers of the hospitality of the home of Mr. and Mrs. S.A. Gardner the first day of the week, was a company consisting of the following named persons: Mr. and Mrs. Ullman and daughter, of Paulina, Iowa, Mr. and Mrs. C.R. West, of Brewster, and Mr. and Mrs. C.E. Harding, and Mr. and Mrs. C.W. Davis and daughter Violet, of this place.

Local Intelligence

Mrs. C.M. Olson is the guest of friends at Miloma this week.

L.B. Settle of Ocheyedan, Ia., was a Sunday visitor to this city.

Rev. G.A. Cahoon was a business visitor to Mankato Tuesday.

M.F. Miller of Hull, Iowa, spent Friday and Saturday in Worthington.

W.B. Whalen of Wilmont, was a business visitor to Worthington Friday.

George Hurd is quite ill at his home on Ninth street with pneumonia.

H.A. Young of Luverne, was a business caller in Worthington Saturday.

Mrs. H. Carstensen of Round Lake was a Monday visitor to the county seat.

Joseph Albertson of Harris, Iowa, was the guest of friends in this city Friday.

W.T. Day of Castana, Iowa, was transacting business in Worthington Saturday.

M.K. Brown of Sterling, Ill., was in the city Friday looking after business interests.

Attorney John F. Flynn returned home Sunday from a business trip to Vale, Ore.

J.B. Ludlow and family of Rushmore, spent Sunday with H.J. Ludlow and family.

Miss Lida Loveless of Minneapolis, is the guest of her parents, J.P. Loveless and wife.

D.E. Harvey of Brewster spent Friday and Saturday transacting business in Worthington.

C.B. Fisk of Heron Lake, was in the city Saturday looking after the juvinile foot ball team.

John Hodge of Estherville, Iowa, was in Worthington, Saturday on a business mission.

Mr. and Mrs. C.M. Cradall and son, Charles, went to Minneapolis Tuesday for a short visit.

N. Klaras and family left Monday night for St. James, where they will reside in the future.

F.A. Vihlen of Round Lake, was in the city Friday and gave the Advance-Herald a pleasant call.

Dan Shell spent several days in Iowa on a business trip, returning home Tuesday in time to vote.

Aug. Wilson and wife of Buffalo, Minn., were the guests of friends in Worthington and Brewster last week.

Art Rose made a trip to Mankato Tuesday on business relating to his forthcoming history of Nobles county.

Mrs. L.H. Gray left Wednesday night for Joplin, Mo., where she will spend a few weeks with her parents.

Miss Jennie Stromm returned home Monday from Woodstock, Minn., where she was the guest of Miss Amy Forbes.

S.M. Stewart returned home Sunday afternoon from a business trip to Salt Lake, Utah, and other western points.

Pat Condon of Bigelow, was a business visitor Monday. The Advance-Herald, acknowledges a pleasant visit.

Mrs. Lafe Palmer left Monday afternoon for Sioux Falls where she will spend some time with relatives and friends.

Mrs. Albert Fauskee and children returned home Monday from an extended visit with relatives and friends at Lakefield, Minn.

Frank J. Langer, of Minneapolis, has accepted a position with his brother at the Variety store, and began his duties last Thursday.

Mrs. Marie Marple of Minneapolis, who has been the guest of Mrs. Wm. Devanney the past week, returned home Monday morning.

Mrs. E.G.C. Amy of Canistota, S.D., arrived in Worthington Monday afternoon and will spend a few days with "Bud" Baker and family.

Mrs. Emma Reistroffer of Brewster, was in the city for a few hours Monday on her return home from a visit with her mother at Round Lake.

Miss Nellie Parker, who has been the guest of William Clark and family for the past week, returned to her home in Sioux Falls Monday afternoon.

Mr. and Mrs. Howard Young of Luverne, spent Sunday with relatives in this city, stopping off on their way for a visit with friends in the twin cities.

Miss Ida Ramsey of Minneapolis, who has been the guest for the past two weeks of her cousin, Mrs. C.A. Wickstrom, returned home Monday afternoon.

Miss Esther Peterson stopped off Monday on her return from a trip through the west and spent the day with Mrs. Alma Peterson, and left for her home in St. Paul Tuesday morning.

Members of W.R.C. are requested to be present at the G.A.R. parlors, Saturday Nov. 7th at 2 p.m. for Special work and also on Monday evening at 7 p.m. to meet the Inspector, Mrs. Sophie C. Fisher of St. Paul.

Rose's transfer line is now located in the basement of the Worthington Hotel. All kinds of hauling done promptly day or night. Give us a call, office 'phone 188: residence 'phone 170. Fred Rose, proprietor.

Co. F will receive the new drab uniforms some time between now and the first of the new year. These uniforms will be used for drill purposes, but Khaki will still be retained for service and the blue for dress.

Mrs. May Fillenworth of Minona, Iowa, who has been the guest of J.A. Smith and family, left Tuesday for Brown's Valley, Minn., where she will visit with relatives and friends. Her cousin, C.E. Smith accompanied her to Brown's Valley.

J.D. Hopkins of Scranton, Pa., an old time friend of Mr. and Mrs. S.N. Rose, made them a pleasant visit on his way home from the west, where he has been visiting during the summer. He said he was anxious to get home for fear Taft would be one vote short of 300,000 plurality.

Mrs. J.A. Holmes of Minneapolis, returned home Monday after a few days visit in this city. Her husband, who met with the misfortune to break a couple of ribs last week by falling down the cellar steps at the Worthington Hotel, where he is cook, has almost entirely recovered and resumed work Tuesday morning.

Another man has made application for naturalization during the past week. This time the applicant is John Emil Bengston, a native of Sweden, but at present a resident of Worthington. His application states that he came to this country March 28, 1892, arriving at Boston, and names as witnesses, Peter Thompson and Nels Olson, both of Worthington. Hearing on the application will be held about February 15, 1909.

Next Tuesday, November 10th, Mrs. F.H. Lyon will have a dispersion sale at the Worthington fair grounds, at which time she will dispose of fifty-nine head of Aberdeen Angus cattle. Silas Igo and James Mackay will act as auctioneers, and the sale will commence at 10 o'clock sharp. Prof. Boss, Minn. State University of Agriculture, will be at this sale and deliver a lecture on cattle breeding. This is State work, wholly free and is of great importance to you whatever breed of cattle you may be interested in.

Friday, November 13, 1908

Brilliant Career is Cut Short by Dread Tuberculosis.

Word was received here Monday that Roy Lewis had passed away at the home of his parents at Wilmont on Sunday. His death, although not unexpected, was nevertheless received with regret by his many friends in this city. A few months since he and his young wife returned from the west, where they had gone in search of health, but instead of finding relief from the dread tuberculosis with which he was afflicted, his condition became more serious and his wife was taken down with typhoid fever and has been ill at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Montgomery, in this city, and has just recently recovered sufficiently to be about again. The deceased was a bright young attorney, with a bright future before him, but fate decreed that his life be cut short. Mr. and Mrs. Lewis were married only last June and the sympathy of all is extended to the young wife, so deeply bereaved after such a short matrimonial life.

The funeral occurred Wednesday afternoon from the home of Mr. and Mrs. John Montgomery of this city, Rev. Wilder conducting the services at the house and Rev. d'Argent, of Reading, was in charge of the services at the grave.

Round Lake Young Man Weds Popular Worthington Young Lady

The home of Mr. and Mrs. R.H. Patterson was the scene of a quiet home wedding Wednesday morning at which time Mr. Fred Tripp, of Round Lake, and Miss Ethel Patterson were united in marriage before the immediate relatives of the contracting parties.

The ceremony was performed at 11:00 o'clock by Rev. G.A. Cahoon, and an elaborate wedding dinner was served in honor of the occasion, and the happy young couple left on the two o'clock train for Chicago and other points where they will spend their honeymoon, and will be at home to their friends after Jan. 1st, at Round Lake.

The bride is the only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Patterson and is one of Worthington's brightest and most talented young ladies and a favorite with all who know her, while the groom is an enterprising young merchant of Round Lake and has many friends in this city. The congratulations of a host of friends are extended the happy couple, in which the Advance-Herald joins with hearty accord.

Card of Thanks

I hereby extend my heartfelt thanks to the neighbors and friends for the many acts of kindness accorded me during the sickness and death of my wife. Louis Nebendahl.


Mrs. Newton Fauskee returned home Tuesday from a visit with Sioux City friends.

Mr. and Mrs. A.M. Renner arrived home Wednesday night from a trip to Chicago and other points.

A.E. Hart and wife went to the Twin Cities Tuesday, where Mr. Hart will purchase a line of goods for his store.

G.H. Luehrs, wife and daughter, returned Tuesday from Cherokee, Iowa, where they have been the guest of relatives.

Mrs. Rev. D.D. Day, of Pipestone, returned home Wednesday after a visit with her daughter, Mrs. Rev. Ira Alvord.

A box social will be given in district No. 30, in the Sharp school, two miles north of town, on Friday evening, Nov. 20th.

Mrs. Wm. Jones left Wednesday for Portland, Ore., where she goes to join her husband, who has been located there for some time.

Miss Margaret Becker, who is working at Brewster came down Tuesday to attend the entertainment given by the John Eberly Concert Co.

E.A. Ritz left Thursday afternoon for Waupaca, Wis., where he will visit with his mother a few weeks before taking up his new run as conductor between Minneapolis and Mankato.

Jas. Ramage, a former resident and business man of Worthington, but now located at Spkane, Wash., arrived here Wednesday to look after business matters and visit relatives.

Messrs. Z.M. Smith, John Fitch, J.R. Selby, Edw. Paine, Aug. Goelze, and John Scott returned home Sunday from Edgemont, S.D., where they went to look up the conditions in regard to homesteading a claim. Evidently the conditions were favorable for each of the gentlemen filed.

Rev. Henry Holmes, state speaker for the Anti-Saloon League, of Minnesota, will speak in the Presbyterian church next Sunday morning and in the Methodist church in the evening. Rev. Holmes is said to be a speaker of more than average ability, and the general public is invited to attend these meetings. Rev. Holmes will also address the Men's Sunday Club on Sunday afternoon at 3 o'clock.

C.A. Sundberg, one of the oldest residents of Nobles county from point of continuous residence, the first of the week re- ______[missing text]_____________ resided. Before leaving the farm, a number of friends and neighbors tendered Mr. Sundberg and family a farewell surprise and presented them with a beautiful quilt as a token of esteem.

Mrs. Sophie C. Fisher, inspector of the W.R.C., was in the city Monday and Tuesday in her official capacity. Mrs. Fisher is very enthusiastic over her work with the W.R.C., and in an interview with the reporter informed the scribe that the W.R.C. is now bending its energies toward interesting the younger folks in the work. She spoke very highly of Stoddard corps of this city, which was the first corps organized in the state of Minnesota.

Rev. Edstam, of Duluth, arrived in Worthington Friday and spent several days with Nels Moberg and family and others in Indian Lake township, preaching in the Indian Lake Baptist church last Sunday morning and evening. It is possible that Rev. Edstam may accept the pastorate of the above named church. He left for his home Wednesday, and in conversation with a reporter expressed himself as more than pleased with the treatment accorded him and spoke in glowing terms of the general impression his few days' stay in Nobles county had made with him.

David Anderson, mention of whose return to Worthington from Seattle, where he has been employed for some time in a department store, is made in another column, has purchased an interest in the Hub Mercantile Co.'s business and will enter actively into the conduct of the business, the deal going into effect November 15th. Mrs. Alma Peterson who has been a partner in the Hub sells her interest to Mr. Anderson. The Hub has recently made an improvement in the arrangement of the store by putting a stairway from the store room to the room above, formerly a part of the Maccabee Hall, and the room is now used as a duplicate stock and sales room. The stairway gives direct entrance from the store, and does away with the necessity of going outside the building to reach the general stairway.

Local Intelligence

G.W. Roth went to Brewster Wednesday on business.

Claude Dodge, of Round Lake, spent Friday in this city.

E.J. Jones was a business visitor to Windom Wednesday.

M.E. Lawton was a business visitor to St. James, Wednesday.

H.A. Stricker came over from Windom on a business mission Tuesday.

Al. Grant, of Luverne, was in the city Monday afternoon on business.

Joseph Olson, of Adrian, was transacting business in Worthington Friday.

Mrs. Mary Haggard returned home Monday from a visit with Iowa friends.

Rev. Wilder delivered his illustrated lecture at Rushmore Wednesday night.

R.a. Groat of Luverne, was transacting business in Worthington Tuesday.

Frank Kilpatrick of Adrian, was in the city on business Tuesday afternoon.

T.A. Thorstensen, of Madelia, was a business visitor in Worthington Friday.

F.A. Ahrens, of Lake Park, Ia., was calling on Worthington friends Friday.

V.A. Hodgeson of Luverne, came over to Worthington Tuesday on business.

Miss Emma Herman of Dewald has taken a position at the Worthington hotel.

Mr. and Mrs. R.F. Kerr, of Rushmore, spent Sunday with ye editor and family.

Robert Long, of Wilder, was the guest of Rev. R.C. Ten Broeck over Sunday.

Mrs. L.H. Gray left last week for Joplin, Mo., where she is the guest of her parents.

E.W. Brown of Luverne, was looking after business interests in this city Tuesday.

H.E. Mills of Lake Park was circulating among business acquaintances Tuesday.

Mrs. Dr. L.R. Gholz left yesterday for Ames, Iowa, where she will visit with her sister.

John Solstrom and wife, of Bigelow, was calling on Worthington friends Monday.

O.B. Olson, of Preston, Minn., was in the city Friday looking after business interests.

Mrs. F.D. Richards went to Kinbrae Monday morning for a few days visit with friends.

Miss Gladys Humiston went to Minneapolis Monday where she will visit for a few days.

Misses Bernice and Margaret Dieckhoff went to Heron Lake Friday for a visit of a few days with relatives.

Miss Hazel Prichard, of Thief River Falls, Minn., was the guest of Dr. L.H. Gholz and wife the first of the week.

Mr. and Mrs. A. Nazerenus of Elk township, spent Tuesday in the city with their daughter, Mrs. Wensberg.

Mrs. L. Green, of Grand Rapids, Mich., returned home Monday after a short visit with F.R. Coughran and family.

Mr. Guthier of Fulda, was operated on at the Worthington hospital Tuesday and is making a rapid recovery.

Alex Stanton, who has been traveling on the Pacific coast for a St. Paul millinery house, is home for a two week's vacation.

Wm. S. Hislop, of Milford, Ill., was transacting business in Worthington and other points in the county the latter part of the week.

Miss Josephine Coughran accompanied Mrs. L. Green as far as St. Paul Monday, when the latter returned to her home in Grand Rapids, Mich.

Joseph Langlie and daughter Margaret, of Lanesboro, Minn., were calling on friends Tuesday, returning to their home Wednesday morning.

Miss Mary Fitch left Monday for Sioux City, where she will spend a few days after which she will go to Edgemont, S.D., and file upon a claim.

Frank Plumleigh, who has been working as night clerk at the Worthington, left Wednesday for Minneapolis has secured a position.

A.C. Headberg, formerly a resident of Worthington, but now living at Mankato, was renewing old acquaintances in the city the first of the week.

Miss Dorothy Cabot, of Heron Lake, came down Friday and spent a few days with her friend Miss Marion Dieckhoff, returning home Monday morning.

TAKEN UP - A strange sow came to my place Nov. 5th. Owner can secure same by identifying and paying charges. M.A. Adams, route 4, Worthington, Minn.

E.J. Larson, who removed with his family to Sioux City about eighteen months ago, has moved back to Worthington and is now occupying his property on the lake shore.

M.W. McQuigg, agent for the Sunny South, was in the city Monday making arrangements for the appearance of his company at the opera house next Saturday night.

David Anderson returned home from Seattle, Wash., where he has been employed for the past eighteen months. He will probably remain in Worthington during the winter.

Clifford Loveless, who has been quite ill at Minneapolis with typhoid fever, has returned to Worthington, and will remain with his parents in this city until he fully recovers his health.

Conductor Francks was in the city for a few days the first of the week, looking after property interests. Mr. Francks has been quite ill at his home in Minneapolis, but is rapidly recovering his old time health.

Rev. C.M. Johnson, pastor of the Swedish mission church in this city, will preach at the Wass school house next Sunday afternoon at 3 o'clock.

Rev. John Strom, traveling missionary for the Swedish Mission church, spoke at the Swedish mission in this city Tuesday night. He left Wednesday for Scandia, Minn.

Ray Wolven had the misfortune to sustain a badly sprained ankle Tuesday evening, while engaged in a playful scuffle with some of the members of the foot ball team, of which he is a member.

Miss Minnie Green, state organizer of the W.C.T.U. will deliver a lecture at the Methodist church on Wednesday eve., Nov. 18th at eight o'clock. Miss Green is an able speaker and the young people are urged to be present.

D. Maloney, of Grand Junction, Iowa, was in the city a few days last week looking after land interests. Mr. Maloney owns a half section of good land about three miles from Worthington and makes a pilgrimage to this city yearly. On this occasion he was accompanied by Robt. Doran, who put in several days hunting. George Taylor, of St. Paul erecting engineer for the Buckeye Engine Company, is in the city adjusting the new generator at the municipal light plant. It is expected that the engine will be given a trial the latter part of the week or the first of next, and the engine will be ready for practical work about the twenty-fifth of the month.

The Grand has inaugurated a Saturday matinee, giving the first one last Saturday which was fairly well attended. Boddy & Mott, the proprietors of the Grand, are always alert to give their patrons the best in the amusement line, and the new innovation will no doubt be well received by the ladies and children, who find it impossible to get to the evening performances.

Friday, November 20, 1908

Advertised Letters

John Davis, John T. Davis, Clyde Mutten, C.E. Burnham, Mrs. Lisa Larson (2), Frenk [Frank?] Gerke. Parties calling for the above will please say advertised.

Local Intelligence

Dan Shell made a business trip to St. Paul Wednesday.

Dr. Selby was in Fulda Wednesday on professional business.

Harris Darling in convalescing from attack of typhoid fever.

Mesdames J.B. Green and Jas. Baird were Worthington visitors, Monday.

A.E. Hart made a pilgrimage to Marshall, Minn., Wednesday on business.

Mrs. George W. Wilson entertained a number of friends at cards yesterday afternoon.

A boy baby came to bless the home of Herman Eihler and wife Monday of last week.

R.L. Morland, wife and son, Edward, are taking in the sights at Chicago this week.

John A. Johnson, boiler inspector, of Adrian, was in the city Wednesday on official business.

Dr. George R. Curran, of Mankato, was in the city Wednesday on professional business.

Joseph Masgai and Peter Lentz, of Adrian, spent Wednesday with John Masgai of this city.

Mrs. William Drews and Miss Alice Smith, of Heron Lake are guests of Mrs. George W. Wilson.

Andy Dillman went to Blue Earth Wednesday for a short visit with his brother at that place.

Attorney John F. Flynn went to Ellsworth Wednesday for a short visit with relatives and friends.

Dr. B.O. Mork went to Sibley Wednesday to assist Dr. Hough, of that place, in a surgical operation.

Misses Bertha Stenzel and Emma Zinn, of Little Rock were calling on friends in this city Wednesday.

J.D. Humiston, C.M. Crandall and Will Stoutemyer were passengers for Luverne Wednesday afternoon.

N.H. Austin, of Jefferson, Iowa, was in the city Wednesday, the guest of his son, L.M. Austin, and other relatives.

Mrs. E. Mork, sister-in-law of Dr. B.O. Mork, was operated upon last week for appendicitis and is making a nice recovery.

H.F. Rockwell, of Fairmont, and John Albert, of Luverne, were in the city Tuesday looking after their business interests.

Mr. and Mrs. Fred Parker came over from Sioux Falls Wednesday for a visit with Mrs. Parker's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Peter Thompson.

S.R.  Thompson left Wednesday afternoon for Edgemont, S.D., where he will probably file on a homestead if he can find one to suit him.

Vic Vanell, of Luverne, was in the city between trains Wednesday on his way to Rochester, where he will undergo an operation to secure relief from an afflicted foot.

Henry Uden and wife, of Ewington township, Jackson county, are rejoicing over the arrival of a baby girl, who took up her abode with them on Wednesday of last week.

Mesdames F.C. Brace and E.J. Jones entertained about twenty lady friends Wednesday afternoon to a five o'clock luncheon. Mrs. Brace will entertain in the same manner this afternoon.

R. Mahling and wife will remove to Alton, Iowa, next week, where, Mr. Mahling has a position as foreman of the car repair force of the Omaha road. Mrs. Mahling went to Alton yesterday to secure a dwelling house.

Mrs. Glasgow will sell all trimmed hats at cost for Thanksgiving.

Mrs. Henry Anderson was operated on Monday morning for an affected eye. She withstood the operation splendidly and is now making a rapid recovery with every promise of the operation being successful.

O. Mattson, of Reading, had the misfortune to run a corn stalk into his left eye while at work in a field husking corn. He came to Worthington where he is receiving surgical attention and the physicians hope to be able to preserve the sight of the eye.

The Ladies' Aid Society of the Baptist church met Wednesday afternoon with Mrs. Rev. Ira Alvord. After the meeting the ladies gave a supper for the benefit of the church, which was well attended.

The Royal Neighbors were entertained by Mrs. John Webster Tuesday evening. A large number of members were in attendance, together with a few invited guests and an enjoyable time is reported.

Burdette Swartz, of Cottonwood county, and Miss Rose Harrie, of Nobles county, were duly launched on the matrimonial sea at the office of the clerk of the courts Tuesday afternoon, Court Commissioner Stevens officiating.

J.H. West went to Hartley, Iowa, Wednesday. Mr. West has been appointed superintendent of the municipal electric light plant of that place and has gone down to make some preliminary arrangements before entering actively upon the duties of his new position.

Mrs. Harvey Rew was hostess for the Euchre Club Wednesday afternoon. Twelve ladies were present and the prizes were carried of by Mrs. Dr. Manson and Mrs. G.W. Roth, winning first and second prizes respectively. Refreshments were served by the hostess and a general good time enjoyed by all the ladies present.

Married Yesterday.

"Two souls with but a single thought, Two hearts that beat as one."

The above quotation was given a local atmosphere yesterday when John Peters appeared at the office of the Probate Judge accompanied by Miss Emma L. Kunze and requested the judge to tie them together in a matrimonial package that would not come undone. He was in possession of the proper certificate from the county clerk, and as Judge Cory guarantees all his work in this line, he got busy and did his best work. H.R. Tripp Albert Peters witnessed the ceremony.

Local Ingelligence

George M. DePettit spent Saturday with Sibley friends.

W.J. Brock, of Lake Park, was a business visitor Friday.

Miss Grace Mann spent Sunday with Windom friends.

M.F. Miller, of Hull, Iowa, was in the city on business Friday.

Stuart Hart was a business visitor to Melvin, Iowa, Saturday.

George Troubridge, of Magnolia, has business in this city Saturday.

C.E. Dean, of Esterville, was in the city Saturday on grain business.

J.C. Hickey came down from Mankato Friday on a business errand.

George Fish, of Reading, was a guest of Worthington friends Monday.

John Pollett, of Marshall, Minn. was a business visitor the first of the week.

Friede Hart was in Magnolia Monday buying wool for the Hart Wool Co.

H.A. Stricker, of Windom, was a business visitor to Worthington Friday.

Ben Farris, of Wilmont, paid a visit to the county seat Monday afternoon.

George P. Saveis, of Remsen, Ia., was a business visitor to Worthington Monday.

Mrs. Dr. L.R. Gholz spent several days last week with relatives at Ames, Iowa.

P.J. McCaine, of Lismore, was calling on friends in this city Friday and Saturday.

F.D. Wells, the Brewster hardware man, was a county seat visitor Monday afternoon.

N. Welling, of Heron Lake, spent Sunday and Monday with friends in Worthington.

H.C. Carstensen and wife of Round Lake, were guests of Worthington friends Friday.

The Nobles county ministerial association met Monday afternoon with Rev. Gibs of Rushmore.

Bruce Yale left Wednesday for a few days visit with relatives and friends at Jefferson, Iowa.

A.L. Flanagan, of Heron Lake, was transacting business in Worthington Friday and Saturday.

Clyde Booth, of Fulda, was calling on friends in Worthington Sunday night and Monday morning.

J.L. McChonkey, of Brewster, was in this city on business Monday evening and Tuesday morning.

C. Kindlund, of Luverne, was in the city on business Friday, and incidentally calling upon old friends.

Harry Ferguson, of Luverne, was in the city Monday between trains on his way to Heron Lake on business.

Mrs. A.B. Cook, of Urbana, Ill., returned home Monday after an extended visit with her daughter, Mrs. C.E. Sims.

Mrs. A.P. Rose and baby returned Sunday from a three months' visit with relatives at Browning, Mo.

H.G. Saathoff, of Waukegan, Ill., was looking after business interests in Worthington and vicinity the latter part of last week.

The new bridge over Lake Ocheda is now completed, and in use although some additional work is yet to be done on the approaches.

Mrs. J.S. Frink, accompanied by her mother, Mrs. David Beers, of Luverne, left last week for an extended visit with relatives at Geneseo, Ill.

Mrs. Lafe Palmer, who has been the guest of H.J. Ludlow and family for some time, returned to her home in Devil's Lake, N.D., Tuesday morning.

A.L. Blackford, who recently accepted a position as civil engineer with M.S. and S.S. Smith, went to Brewster Tuesday on business for the firm.

Rev. W.H. Knowlton, arch deacon for the diocese, preached at St. John's church last Sunday evening, returning to his home at St. James Monday.

A new furnace has been installed during the past week at the Hotel Worthington. J.S. Frink with a corps of workmen put in the heating plant.

TAKEN UP -- A strange sow came to my place Nov. 5th. Owner can secure same by identifying and paying charges. M.A. Adams, Route 4, Worthington, Minn.

Mr. and Mrs. Charles Pannell, of Drinkwater, Canada, arrived in Worthington last Friday, being called home on account of the serious illness of her mother, Mrs. Vic Anderson.

Mrs. Peter Cedergreen, of Boone, Iowa, who has been visiting at Minneapolis, came down Friday and spent the day with Ole Nystrom and family, returning to Minneapolis Saturday.

Sheriff Fauskee returned from Chicago Tuesday morning, having in custody Jack Benton, who was wanted in this city for alleged larceny, an account of whose arrest appeared in last week's issue of the Advance-Herald.

Walter Stoltenberg visited at the home of his uncle, L. Stoltenberg, and wife last week. The young man lives at Worthington but now has a run as U.S. mail clerk on the Milwaukee between Manila and Egan. --Lake Park News.

R. Klatt, of Sibley, Iowa, was in the city Tuesday on business. Mr. Klatt recently purchased some land near Rushmore and his visit to Worthington was for the purpose of further investment in Nobles county land.

Mr. Ollie Gilbertson and wife were guests a few days this week with the family of L.W. Abbott. Mr. Gilbertson is moving from Madison, S.D., to Lemars and stopped off on his way to his new home.

E.E. Hurd, the efficient brakeman on the Omaha, who was recently transferred to the Pipestone branch, loaded his household goods and shipped them to the latter city Monday. Mr. and Mrs. Hurd also left Monday afternoon for their new home.

Miss Sana Stevens, of Ferguson, Iowa, spent Sunday with Mrs. M.L. Holbrook. Miss stevens was on her way home from South Dakota, where she has just proved up on her claim and stopped off for a visit with her girlhood friend.

C.B. Hayes and wife, of Sutherland, Iowa, were in the city Sunday, enroute to Magnolia for a visit with relatives and friends. The couple have but recently been married and were receiving the congratulations of friends who were in the secret.

The busiest man in Worthington at present is J.S. Frink. In addition to an excellent job of plumbing for Mrs. Annie Davis, of this city, he is also putting in the heating plant at the Bigelow school house, starting work on the latter job Tuesday morning.

Otto Burk, of New Ulm, is now behind the counter and prescription case at Morland's drug store. He will remain in that capacity until Will Eckstrom returns from St. Paul, where he is in the hospital following an operation.

County Superintendent Abbot was a pleasant caller at the News office Tuesday, while over from Worthington visiting the district and town schools in this corner of the county. Mr. Abbott is one of Nobles county's efficient officers and is putting in hard and thorough work. --Ellsworth News.

Geo. Butcher returned the end of last week from Edgmont, S.D., near which place he filed on a homestead and expects to leave early in the spring to take up his residence on the claim. His sons Earl and Henry, from near Bigelow, also went with him and each took a homestead and will go out there next spring.

Charles Flynn, brother of attorney J.T. Flynn of this city, and mother have disposed of their real estate at Ellsworth and will remove to Vale, Ore., where they have extensive interests around the same locality. Before at Vale Mr. Flynn and mother will make a short visit with relatives at Seattle, Wash.

Miss Emily Joul, a resident of Little Rock township, died last week at a hospital at Minneapolis after an extended illness from tuberculosis. Deceased had lived in Rock township all her life until a few months ago when she entered the Minneapolis hospital for treatment. The remains were shipped to Ellsworth where the funeral was held from the residence of her brother in that place.

Paddy Tripp's lunch stand was closed the fore part of the week owing to the fact that Paddy was incapacitated for work, having developed blood poisoning in both hands. He scratched his right wrist on a rusty nail and it soon began to trouble him, and later he struck his other hand with an old hammer which he was using, and later blood poison set in that member too, completely disabling him from work.


Rev. Swan spent Monday with Dundee friends.

E.J. Jones spent Wednesday with relatives at Adrian.

James Mackay and wife visited relatives in Hills over Sunday.

C.W. Moeller is spending a few days with friends in Sioux City.

Miss Margaret Perry, of Adrian, spent Sunday with J.H. James' family.

Gus. Engelbretson was in Sioux Falls over Sunday returning home Monday afternoon.

Charles Nienaber, of Round Lake was a business visitor to Worthington Tuesday.

J.J. Pingel and wife, of Bigelow were calling on Worthington friends Tuesday morning.

Mrs. C.W.W. Dow returned home Tuesday from a visit with relatives at Moorehead, Iowa.

Mrs. W.H. Prideaux of Adrian, is a guest this week at the home of her daughters, Mrs. J.H. James.

Strayed -- Heavy brindle cow; left my place Friday, Nov. 13th. Finder notify R.B. Schultz.

Miss Mary Fitch returned home from Edgemont, S.D., Tuesday where she went to file upon a claim.

The seven year old daughter of Walter Payne is quite ill and but little hope is entertained of her recovery.

5000 bushels ear corn wanted. Highest price paid at Schaefer Bros. elevator. --E.L. Schwartz, Agent.

J.W. Spielman moved in from his farm last week and will make Worthington his home, having rented his farm to his son.

Mrs. James Humbert returned to her home in Webster City Monday afternoon after a visit with her daughter, Mrs. A.C. Dickens.

Mrs. Geo. W. Giraux of Chicago, is the guest of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. J.D. Rippberger and will remain until after the holidays.

E.E. Schuck and family of Decorah, Iowa, have moved onto the J.E. Peterson property on route 2. He is a brother of J.H. Schuck.

A.L. Canfield of Luverne, has accepted a position with the Gray-Nelson Hardware Co., and will have charge of their tin shop and repairing.

Rev. Mettler, of Lake Park, Ia., will preach in Loraine Center school house (District No. 106) Sunday, November 22 at 3 p.m. Everybody cordially invited.

Charles Watkins, of Decatur, Ill., spent Tuesday and Wednesday in this city upon business and is visiting with his former school mate, Carl Bremer.

Mrs. C.B. Ward returned home Tuesday night from LaCrosse, Wis., where she has been at the bedside of her mother who has been critically ill, but is rapidly recovering.

J.D. Rippberger, mail carrier on route 2, is much pleased over the new crossing at Ocheda Lake on his route. The grading is a masterly piece of work and was done by A.R. Bloom. This bridge is a credit to the wisdom of the county commissioners.

Rev. William Fletcher, of this city, has been appointed by the Mankato Congregational conference as overseer for this district of the Home Missionary committee, in which capacity he will have oversight over all the smaller churches in the district, and on Wednesday night he lectured at Ellsworth.

Leaves Presbyterian Church for Congregational -- Called to Fairmont

Rev. G.B. Wilder, pastor of the Presbyterian church handed in his resignation to the session of the church on Tuesday morning, the resignation to take effect on December 1st. For some time past matters between the pastor and his congregation have not been as congenial as could be desired and Rev. Wilder's withdrawal is the climax. Rev. Wilder has accepted a call from the Congregational church at Fairmont and will enter upon his duties at that place immediately upon the expiration of his pastorate here. He is an able minister and a man of deep thought and one who will impress his hearers with his ability and sincerity wherever he may preach. The Independent, published at Fairmont, in speaking of the call at that place being extended to Rev. Wilder, says:

"At the business meeting of the members of the Congregational church of this city held Monday evening it was unanimously voted to extend a call to Rev. Wilder of Worthington to become pastor of the church. Rev. Wilder occupied the pulpit of the church Sunday forenoon and evening and made a favorable impression of all. He is a good speaker, a man of much ability and apparently an earnest and faithful Christian worker.

"Rev. Wilder has been pastor of a Presbyterian church, but has for some time desired to be transferred to the Congregational society.

"The salary of the new pastor was fixed at $1200 per year and the use of the parsonage.

"Rev. Wilder has accepted the call extended to him and will move with his family to this city in about a month. He will receive a cordial welcome not alone from the members of the congregation but from all the citizens."

Mrs. Vic Anderson Dead.

Mrs. Vic Anderson, who has been quite ill for some time, died at her home near Org Thursday morning. Mrs. Anderson had been a sufferer for a long time and recently submitted to an operation in the hope of gaining relief, but grew steadily worse until death relieved her sufferings at 7:30 a.m. yesterday.

Friday, November 27, 1908

Got a Moose.

Dr. J.N. Gould returned home Saturday morning from Rainy River where he went with a party of hunters from Fairmont and Albert Lea. The doctor was successful in securing a fine specimen of moose.


There will be a basket social at the Moberg school house in the near future.

Mrs. Jas. Suddaby returned the first of the week from a visit with friends in Sioux City.

J.Q. Alter, of Wayland, Iowa, is a guest this week at the home of Mr. and Mrs. J.E. Darling.

Eric Ledine was in town Monday arranging for the funeral of his daughter, who died at St. Peter Saturday.

Senator and Mrs. Canfield, of Luverne, came over Thanksgiving day and ate turkey with their son, A.L. Canfield.

Mr. and Mrs. J.H. Hamstreet, of Clear Lake, Iowa, father and mother of ye editor, arrived here Tuesday afternoon and helped us to do justice to a big turkey on Thanksgiving day.

C.C. Erwin, carrier on route No. 1, was kindly remembered for Thanksgiving by the following patrons of his route: Mrs. E.A. Grannell, a large piece of fresh pork; Mrs. Wm. Apel Jr., a big fat turkey and Mrs. A.M. Berry, a yellow leg rooster. Mr. Erwin appreciates the gifts and had to tell the newspaper man about them.

J.E. Erickson was down to Sioux City over Sunday in attendance at the dedication of a large Methodist church at Morningside, the Worthington Plumbing Co. having the contract for installing the heating plant. Mr. Blood is still in Sioux City looking after some minor details of the plant and will not get home until the latter part of the week.


Joe Geise, an employ on the section of the Omaha road at this place who disappeared a few weeks back without making known where he intended to locate, thereby causing considerable speculation as to his whereabouts, has been located at Larchwood, Iowa, where he is employed upon the section. A letter from a former resident of Worthington now located there, to a relatives conveyed the information.

Local Intelligence

Dr. W.J. Dodge spent Sunday in Round Lake.

J.A. Cashel is visiting relatives at Winona.

Walter Snooks spent Sunday with Luverne friends.

A.L. Blackford made a business trip to Omaha Monday.

Mrs. G.V. Pettit spent Sunday with Rushmore friends.

M. Marshall, of Brewster, was a business caller Saturday.

John Gaiser was a Sioux City visitor Saturday and Sunday.

C.J. Keizer was a business visitor Friday from Alton, Iowa.

I.F. Kelley was a business visitor to the twin cities Tuesday.

J.H. Pass came down from Wilmont Friday on a business trip.

J.E. O'Connor, of Fulda, spent Saturday with Worthington friends.

Bert Settle, of Bigelow, was a business caller at the county seat Friday.

Theo. Bahls, of Round Lake, spent Sunday with Worthington friends.

N.M. Nelson, of Raymond, S.D., was in the city on a business mission Friday.

Rev. J.D. Gibb, of Rushmore, was calling on Worthington friends Friday.

Miss Elizabeth Thompson was the Thanksgiving day guest of Adrian friends.

C.R. Rahler, of Norwood, was a business caller in Worthington Monday.

Mrs. E.K. Smith and small child spent Sunday with relatives at Rock Rapids.

T. Hagge and A. Little, of Wilmont, were Worthington visitors Monday.

Mrs. A.R. Albertus and daughter Jean are visiting with Jackson relatives.

Rev. Ira Alvord and wife spent this week with relatives and friends at Pipestone.

Bruce Yale returned home Monday from a visit with relatives at Jefferson, Iowa.

Beth and Helen Humiston spent Thanksgiving with their grandmother at Mankato.

Jess Hamstreet, of Brewster, spent Sunday with relatives and friends in Worthington.

Josiah Berger, of Paynesville, Minn., was the guest of Rev. and Mrs. Ira Alvord last week.

W.E. Roberts, the Rushmore land man, was a business visitor at the county seat Friday.

Fred Miller and wife, of Salem, S.D., were calling on friends in this city Monday.

Henry Lempke, Edw. Lemke, and son, Edward, were in the city Saturday, the guests of friends.

E.P. Creeley, of Alden, Iowa, was looking after his business interests in this vicinity Friday.

Will Eckstrom returned home Monday from St. Paul, where he has been receiving medical treatment.

Rev. C.M. Johnson will preach next Sunday afternoon at the Robinson school house at three o'clock.

Miss Majorie [Marjorie?] Hollister, of Clear Lake, Iowa, is the guest of her aunt, Miss Donahue, of the high school.

John Miller, of Conway, Mo., accompanied by O. Teasdale, of Sheldon, Iowa, was in the city on business Monday.

Mrs. Dr. J.N. Gould returned home Saturday from a visit with relatives and friends at Clarion, Iowa, and Fairmont, Minn.

Mr. and Mrs. Roy Anderson, of Indian Lake township, returned Monday from a visit with relatives at Sioux Falls.

Mrs. Nellie Mott went over to Luverne on Wednesday, where she will spend some time with her daughter, Mrs. E.R. Coss.

Charles Loveless spent a few days last week in the twin cities, where he went on a business mission and to visit with relatives.

Mrs. Blanche Vollman, who has been visiting Mrs. Grant at the Western Hotel, returned to her home in Brewster Wednesday.

STRAYED - White cow, weight about 225 pounds; last seen at M.A. Adam's place. Finder notify C.A. Cedarblade, R. 1, Worthington.

Marriage licenses were issued this week to Andrew Ommen and Bertha Gerdes and Frank Austin and Lena R. Harrington, all of Nobles county.

Mrs. H. Anderson, who was operated upon last week for an affection of the eye, is making a rapid recovery and will be able to return home in a day or two.

Mr. and Mrs. R. Mahlen shipped their household goods Monday to Alton, where Mr. Mahlen is employed. Mrs. Mahlen joined her husband at that place Tuesday.

Messrs. Ed. and Gus. Lemke, who have been visiting relatives in Worthington during the past two weeks, returned to their home at Paullina, Iowa, Tuesday.

Joe Franck, of Minneapolis, spent Sunday with Albert Horton. Joe formerly lived here with his parents and was kept busy shaking hands with old friends during his short visit.

E.O. Mork is the guest of his brother, Dr. B.O. Mork. His wife was operated upon last week and Mr. Mork will return with her to his home at Echo, Minn., as soon as she is able to be removed.

Harold Oakes is suffering from blood poisoning in his right hand. While experimenting at the school laboratory he spilled some acid upon his hand, burning it slightly and the infection is the result of the accident.

Assistant Superintendent R.B. Mundelle, in charge of the money order and register systems of the postal service in this district, was in the city Monday looking after the affairs in that part of the local postoffice.

Cliff Loveless, who has been at the home of his parents in this city for some time recuperating from an attack of typhoid fever, returned to St. Paul last week and will again take up his duties as a travelling salesman.

The body of Miss Lottie Ledine, who died Saturday at St. Peter, arrived Monday afternoon and was taken to Anderson & Benson's undertaking rooms. The funeral was held Tuesday afternoon at 1:30 from the Indian Lake Baptist church, the services being conducted by Rev. Carl Oberg of Wilmar.

Miss Lizzie Ryan gave a basket social at the Sharp school house last Friday night, and those who attended and desired to do so were invited to a dance at Nels Eggleston's after the social. The proceeds of the social were used to help pay for an organ recently placed in the school, and a neat sum was realized.

Miss Emma Ferguson, who is a teacher in the schools at Tracy, Minn., is spending her Thanksgiving vacation with her parents in this city.

Ed Lawton, who is attending the University of Minnesota, came home for Thanksgiving and incidentally to participate in the Alumni-High School football game.

A.M. Feathers, who was operated upon at the Worthington hospital last week, is convalescing rapidly and will be discharged from the hospital within a few days.

Mr. Good, of Reading, is receiving medical attendance in Worthington for blood poisoning contracted by slight scratch received on a piece of wire while engaged in baling hay. He is getting along nicely, and will soon be able to resume work.

Fred Darling submitted to an operation upon his hand Tuesday for the removal of a fish fin. While fishing last spring he was "horned" by a bull head, and the hand has given him considerable trouble ever since. The hand was lanced once before in an effort to locate the trouble, but the soreness continued, so on Tuesday the trouble was located by means of X-ray and removed.

Joe Hauser, living on the Patterson farm on the diagonal road, was the victim of a surprise party tendered him as a sort of farewell last Tuesday night. Joe is soon to remove to another part of the county, and about twenty of his friends took this method of showing their regard for their friend and neighbor. Cards and dancing formed the means of passing the enjoyable evening.

----End Transcription----


Microfilm, Worthington Advance; Minnesota Historical Society, St. Paul, MN; obtained November, 2007.

If you would like more information,
please contact Terri Mindock

The banner below has been added by the website host, and does not reflect any promotion by the author of these pages.