Search billions of records on
The banner above has been added by the website host, and does not reflect any promotion by the author of these pages.

Lane-Blood Genealogy
You are here:  Home  >  MN newspaper articles  >  transcription

Newspaper Articles
from Worthington Advance
 November, 1907

Use the EDIT > FIND function on your browser to search this page.
To search the rest of this site, go to the HOME page (link above)
and use the "Search this site" box.

Friday, November 1, 1907

Mr. and Mrs. J.F. Ullrich Celebrate an Important Date in Their Wedded Life
Mr. and Mrs. Jos. F. Ullrich, of the town of Worthington, on Thursday of last week celebrated the silver or 25th anniversary of their marriage, which occurred at Freemont Centre, Ill., on Oct. 24th, 1882. A large number of invitations had been sent out, which were freely responded to, and about 75 of their relatives and friends assembled to assist in the festivities, among whom were the following from Worthington:
Rev. Father John Sherman, Dr. and Mrs. C.P. Dolan, Miss Glasgow, A.M. Renner, Misses Calara and Myrtle Maine and P.J. Martin. Mr. and Mrs. Ullrich received a large collection of handsome and appropriate presents as reminders of the occasion.
Joseph F. Ullrich is one of Nobles county's most substantial and progressive farmers. He and his estimable spouse came to this county nineteen years ago and they have developed one of the finest farm homes in the county, and have become noted far and wide for their genial hospitality. Mr. Ullrich has during the past summer remodeled and enlarged his residence and fitted it up with many modern conveniences at an expense of several thousand dollars, and they have a home that is excelled by few if any at the county capital. While they have been fortunate in a material way, as the result of industry and thrift, they have been equally blessed in their home life, as nine interesting children have been given them to gladden their hearts.
It is always a pleasure to record such anniversaries as these, and the Advance takes pleasure in joining the many friends of the worthy couple in wishing them a long life and a continuance of the blessings which they have heretofore enjoyed.
John A. Saxon was in from Indian Lake yesterday.
R.H. Cosgrove of Bigelow, was in the city Tuesday.
Guy Fellows was in from Elk Saturday doing trading.
C.A. Baker is again driving the delivery rig for Lewis' grocery.
Mrs. F. Glasgow visited in Sioux City Monday and Tuesday.
J.J. Kies made a business trip to Brewster and Kinbrae Monday.
F.C. Stitser and family are visiting at Waverly, Ia., for a few weeks.
Maj. Thurber was down from Wilmont Wednesday and Thursday.
Rev. C.A. Hillory was operated on Tuesday at the Worthington Hospital.
Mrs. Baers, of Luverne, is here on a visit to her daughter, Mrs. J.S. Frink.
Carl, the 14-year old son of Louis Olson, broke his arm last Sunday, in a fall from a bicycle.
Misses Ethel and Lena Reynolds of Bigelow, were in the city on a shopping trip Wednesday.
Theo. Bahls and Ed. Welhausen of Round Lake were at the county seat on business Wednesday.
C. Korsland, of Livermore, Ia., who is interested in the State Bank, was a Worthington visitor Tuesday.
C.O. Wells, of Dewald township, had about a dozen head of sheep killed by dogs last Friday night.
J.F. Ullrich, one of the solid farmers of Worthington township, made this office a pleasant call last Saturday.
Glen Eggleston was discharged from the hospital last Saturday, having recovered from an operation for appendicitis.
W.J. Reese, of Belle Plaine, Minn., a former operator at the Omaha station here, passed thru town Sunday on his way to Nebraska.
John Sowles left on Tuesday for Haswell, Colorado, where he took a homestead last spring, and where he expects to make his home for a while.
Bennett Joul of Little Rock township, who is teaching near Brewster this term, was a Worthington visitor Saturday and made this office a pleasant call.
Sam Swanson and his assistant Peter G. Anderson left for Gowrie, Ia., on Tuesday, where Mr. Swanson has taken a contract to construct a store building.
Cal Moen came home Monday from Ogden, Utah, for a short visit with his family. Mr. Moen is employed on the U.H. railroad, and runs out of Ogden.
I.T. Branigan, of Rock Rapids, was a business visitor in Worthington yesterday. Mr. Branigan looked well and says he is doing a fine business in his new location. He moved from Edna to Rock Rapids a few weeks ago.
G.F. Hastings went to Northern Wisconsin last week to look up farm lands.
Miss Emily Case was operated on for appendicitis at the Worthington hospital Monday.
Mrs. Ed. Leischer of Luverne visited at the home of her sister, Mrs. J.S. Frink this week.
E.F. Buchan went to St. Paul on Tuesday night to buy a new belt and other supplies for the electric light plant.
Ernest Nordberg, a cousin of John Benson, who has spent a couple of days visiting him, left on Wednesday for Chicago.
Gerald Sharp was in from Elk last Saturday. He has finished his threshing for this season and hauled in his rig. He expects to leave in a few weeks for the Pacific coast.
Burton T. Selby and Miss Ida L. Peterson were married at Reno, Nevada, Sept. 28th. Mr. Selby is a brother of J.R. Selby of Hersey township, and formerly lived in this county.
Henry Nielson of Reading, will hold an auction sale on Nov. 12th, notice of which appears elsewhere in this issue. Mr. Nielson will move to Hinckly this state, where he has bought a tract of land.
M.L. Holbrook, of Lemars, Ia., was a Worthington visitor on Monday. He is conducting a large panitorium at that place, and is doing a fine business. He will make regular visits to Worthington hereafter to take orders for work.
J.J. Filbrun and family left on Tuesday for Wanatchee, Washington, where they will make their future home for the winter, and will probably locate permanently. They have a host of friends in Nobles county whose best wishes will follow them to their new home.
John Fitch is visiting in the twin cities.
Wm. Jones made a trip to Wilmont last week.
Miss Eva Fairfield visited in Adrian this week.
A.P. Anderson left this week for Oakland, Cal.
Jet Darling is about again after a long siege of illness.
Jas. Ramage left on Tuesday for his home at Spokane, Washington.
Miss Nellie Lyon has taken a position as bookkeeper in Moses' hardware store.
Miss Lillian Saxon left on Wednesday for Denver, Colo., where she will spend the winter.
Otis Bigelow returned last week from a visit at his old home in Connecticut. He reports a most enjoyable trip.
Mr. Henry Balster and Miss Matilda Schmidt were married at Wilmont Oct. 29th, by Rev. F. Holper. A reception at the home of the bride's parents followed, with the usual festivities.
C.H. Hulbert, a brakeman on the Omaha, was married last week at LeSueur, Minn., to Miss Jessie Gadwa, of Ottawa, Minn. They will make their home in this city.
Friday, November 8, 1907
Married at Jackson.
A marriage of more than ordinary interest to Worthington people occurred at Jackson on Wednesday morning at 8 o'clock, Nov. 6, 1907. At that time Miss Kristi Wick, one of our former popular and successful school teachers, was joined in marriage to Mr. William Schrader, an enterprising and capable young business man of this city. The ceremony was performed at the home of the bride's father by Rev. G.A. Cahoon, of the First Methodist church of this city, in the presence of the bride's family and a few friends.
A wedding breakfast was served at the house after the ceremony and the bridal couple took the west bound passenger for this city, arriving here at 2 o'clock.
They will go to housekeeping at once in the house recently purchased of P.H. Brown, on Third avenue, which is being tastily furnished.
Both the bride and groom have a wide circle of friends who are delighted to have them make their home in our midst. May long life and prosperity attend them.
C.T. Tupper Located
C.T. Tupper, formerly cashier of the Citizens National Bank of this city, has located at Pendleton, Ore., where he takes charge of the savings department of the Pendleton Savings Bank. His family is still at Spokane Wash., where we understand they will remain until the first of the year.
Round Lake.
From the Graphic:
Mrs. H.C. Moeller was a passenger to Worthington yesterday.
Harry Elliot and David Tripp were down from the county seat the fore part of the week.
E.A. Tripp, of Worthington, was a caller at this office Tuesday.
Mr. and Mrs. E.D. Tripp and two youngest children went up to Dundee by rail, last Friday, and visited over Sunday at the home of their son and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. C.S. Jones.
Miss Lulu Thompson, of Sioux Falls, is a guest of Mrs. J.H. James this week.
Mrs. David Cain and daughter laura were Sioux City visitors Saturday morning.
Mrs. P.C. Ross went to Doon Friday and returned Monday bringing with her a little child belonging to Mr. Ross' brother, which they will keep as its mother is dead.
Mr. and Mrs. Booth will leave in a few days for their new home in Baxter, Iowa.
Mrs. F.S. Lane, our postmistress, has a fine collection of stationary such as tablets and envelopes.
Roscoe Harrington is to work in the depot again, having returned from Sioux City where he went on business.
Harry Buttshan had the misfortune to break the axle on his gasoline engine while moving from a setting of grain, so he has to lay up until it is fixed.
Sheriff Stevens, wife and children, of Sibley, visited friends here on Friday.
Miss Maggie Cosgrove was a Sibley passenger Friday.
Mrs. Peter Peters visited in Sibley on Friday, returning in the evening.
Verna Driskell is working in the Bigelow hotel again.
From the Enterprise:
Miss Clara Ackerman, of Reading, spent Saturday and Sunday with her sister, Mrs. C.S. Morton.
Boyd McChord returned the first of the week from Osage, Iowa, where he has been since early last spring working in a creamery. His friends hardly knew him when he appeared on the streets on account of having a full growth of whiskers of a vermillion hue.
Mrs. Geo. Innes, who has been visiting here for the past two weeks, left Friday for her home at Minneapolis.
Mrs. S.B. Bedford went down to Goodland, Ind., last Thursday for a four weeks visit with her daughter, Mrs. A.C. Constable.
Milo Hiner returned last Thursday morning from Pierre, S.D., where he had been to attend the land drawing for the Lower Brule reservation. He was one of the lucky ones to draw a homestead.
Received too late for last week:
H.E. Lindsey has finished up his threshing.
A.E. Yeske shipped a carload of hogs to Sioux City Monday night.
Mr. Marshall of Storm Lake, Ia., was in town Sunday, looking after his farm.
Mr. W.W. Corson of Clarion, Ia., came up Sunday and expects to make some improvements on his farm northwest of town.
Roscoe Harrington went to Sioux City Monday on business.
John Gifford and daughter Pearl was up visiting with James Harrington and family.
Henry Clark has purchased a new mail box.
From the Tribune:
James Montgomery of Worthington, was in this city Monday, calling on friends.
Sheriff Fauskee, of Worthington, was a business caller in Wilmont the first of the week.
W.G. Meyers of Worthington, was looking after land interests in these parts one day last week.
Mrs. H. Peter Lewis attended a Hallowe'en party held at the Woodman hall in Worthington Thursday evening.
T.A. Fallgatter and A.B. Williams bagged thirty fine canvas back ducks while on their hunting trip at Heron Lake the past week.
P.D. VanHorsen brought in a fine display of corn last week, the ears measuring eleven inches and filled with good deep kernels. He says his field contains thousands of the same kind of ears.
Miss Mabel Wheeler visited in Minneapolis last Saturday.
Born -- On Oct. 30th, to Dr. and Mrs. A. Sullwold, a son.
C.F. Martin of Elk, was in the city on business Monday.
Mrs. Eastman of Missouri is visiting her daughter, Mrs. Ira Sowles.
Miss Edith Free of Lakefield is a guest at the home of Geo. H. Doeden.
County Attorney E.J. Jones visited his parents at Adrian last Saturday.
Wm. Garvey of Adrian, transacted business at the county capitol on Monday.
Dr. F.M. Manson spent the past week in Chicago taking lectures on clinics.
Mrs. A.C. Todd spent two weeks visiting old friends in Estherville, Iowa.
Miss Ella Ohlson, of Windom, visited her sister Mabel, a few days the first of the week.
H.A. and H.H. DeFreese, of Brewster, transacted business in Worthington Wednesday.
Ivan Pettit, George Lawson and Lyle Thurber visited in Sibley between trains last Sunday.
J.A. Cashel has spent the past week at his native town, Arcadia, Wis., looking after property interests.
O.B. Thuesen of Bigelow township bought a gasoline engine of the Western Implement Co. last Monday.
The Advance last week gave Lemars as the home of Leslie Holbrook. It should have said Marshalltown.
Mrs. Maggie Thurston of Estherville, is visiting her daughters, Mrs. A.C. Todd and Mrs. Geo. Sowles.
J.P. Hammerberg, of LaCrosse, Wis., was a guest at the home of Adolph Amondson the first of the week.
Mrs. Wm. Kirk and daughter May returned home Saturday after a visit of over a month in different parts of Canada and Michigan.
John Seline, who works for Wm. Malcolm of Bigelow township, was seriously hurt in a runaway some days ago. The horse was so badly injured it had to be killed.
P. Ahlstrom and wife who had been visiting at the home of their daughter, Mrs. Adolph Amondson, for some month, left last week for Minneapolis where they will visit other relatives.
Mrs. Wm. Chaney is visiting at Rochester.
Mrs. J.P. Biltgen is visiting in Redwing.
Mrs. H. Rew and Mrs. J.E. Peterson are visiting in Minneapolis this week.
Mrs. Wm. Devaney returned this week from a visit to a brother at Redwing.
Mr. and Mrs. R. Prideaux went to Lismore on Wednesday to visit a daughter.
WANTED -- Man and team to plow 50 acres, close to town. Geo. O. Moore.
Simon Ascher, an old resident of Dundee, was in Worthington on business Tuesday.
Harry Ferguson had a rib broken while playing on the school ground Wednesday afternoon.
Miss Mabel Ohlson, a clerk in Torrance's store, visited at her home in Windom last Sunday.
Miss Myrtle Briggs of Wilmont, visited friends in Worthington Wednesday and Thursday.
Dorothy, the little daughter of Mr. and Mrs. I.F. Kelly, received an injury to one of her eyes on Wednesday afternoon, that may occasion the loss of the sight. The children were playing in the yard when a pair of scissors in the hands of an older sister were accidently stuck in the little ones eye, cutting the eyeball. The local physician called was unable to determine how serious the consequences might be, but it feared the little one will lose the eye. Mrs. Kelly took the child to Minneapolis on Thursday morning to consult an eye specialist. Mr. Kelly is in New York and will not be home for several days.
Miss Nellie Lyon visited in Minneapolis over Sunday.
Tom Hogan visited his parents at Lemars last Sunday.
J.A. Saxon of Indian Lake, was a caller on Wednesday.
W.E. Larimour was in from Worthington township Monday.
Miss Blanch Clark, of Hart's Cash store, visited in Windom last Sunday.
Nels Langseth of Indian Lake, was in the city Wednesday doing trading.
Geo. Bulick, of Reading, was at the county seat on business Monday.
Tom Hayes, of Wilmont, was a Worthington visitor Friday and Saturday.
"Doc" Goodrich, who is attending business college at Mankato, spent Sunday under the parental roof.
King Roshon has moved from Clary addition into rooms in the Wilson building, adjoining Lewis' store.
Henry and Anton Teitenberg, and W.H. Sievert, of Wilmont, were at the county seat on business yesterday.
Mrs. I.A. Roshon was most agreeably surprised on Friday afternoon of last week by about twenty lady friends.
Miss Anna Johnson, of the Martin general store, spent several days the past week at her home east of town, near Lake Ocheeda.
Mr. and Mrs. John Johnson returned from Minneapolis Thursday afternoon, where they had visited since Saturday, the guests of J.A. Albinson and family.
Oscar Blood returned last Sunday from Rock Valley, Ia., where he had installed a heating plant. He left again Tuesday for Canova, S. Dak., to install a plant there.
Mr. and Mrs. Guy Ostrom, of Bigelow, on Wednesday evening brought up their little son to have a kernel of corn extracted from his nose. Dr. E.E. Stover and D.A. Reynolds, liveryman, accompanied them.
J.J. Williams, who has been quite sick with lung fever, is now on the mend, and if he has no backset he will soon be up and around again. Mr. and Mrs. Downes, old neighbors, will stay with him until he is able to care for himself. A more suitable arrangement could hardly have been made.
The following teachers attended the meeting of the Minnesota Teachers Association at Mankato last week: Prof. H.R. Edwards, Misses Hazelton, Purvis, Otto, Ida Nelson, Alma Nelson, Hyland and Fisk.
Friday, November 15, 1907
Mr. Howard L. Durfee and Mrs. K. Horgan of this city were married at 10 o'clock Tuesday morning, Nov. 12, 1907, at the residence of the Rev. Father John Sherman, who officiated. Mr. G.E. Cunningam attended the groom and Miss Mav Dristle of St. Paul was bride's maid. After the ceremony a wedding breakfast was served at the residence of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Glasgow. The bridal couple took the afternoon train for a short wedding trip, during which they will visit in Sioux City, Denver and Colorado Springs. On their return they will take up their residence in the Smith property near the Congregational church.
The groom is one of the staid and popular bachelors of Worthington. He has for many years filled a responsible position with the American Express Co. The bride has been a residence of Worthington for about a year. She is a sister of Mrs. Frank Glasgow, with whom she has been associated in the millinery business. Mr. and Mrs. Durfee have a large circle of friends, whom we join in extending congratulations.
Home of Geo. Sellers, on Second Avenue, Gutted by Flames Sunday Night
[NOTE: If you would like more info on this article, please email me.]
Loren Clark visited friends at Mankato last Sunday.
O.A. Langseth of Round Lake, was in town Monday on business.
W.E. Roberts of Rushmore was a guest at the Allen House Monday.
The Kelley Bros., who live northeast of town, were in Wednesday doing trading.
J.B. Ludlow, of the State Bank of Rushmore, was in town Monday on business.
F.J. Green of Worthington township, was in the city Wednesday doing trading.
Miss Marjorie Evans was operated on for appendicitis, at Bugley, Wis. a few days ago.
Miss Jane Gilfoy went to Albert Lea the first of the week to attend the wedding of a cousin.
The Oddfellows conferred two degrees Tuesday night. The first on Oscar Kunzman and the second on Albert Anderson.
Aug. Turner and wife of Windom, were guests of Axel Sterling and family last Sunday. Mrs. Turner and Mrs. Sterling are sisters.
Mrs. E.J. Wolven, Mrs. W.J. Dodge and Mrs. Jas. Suddaby entertained a large number of ladies at the pleasant home of the former Thursday afternoon.
W.E. Larimour, of the town of Worthington, returned on Tuesday from a trip to Oklahoma, where he went to look over the country. He was not favorably impressed with what he saw and considers this part of Minnesota far ahead of that country.
I.F. Kelley returned yesterday morning from his trip to New York City. He came home by way of Minneapolis, where Mrs. Kelley and their daughter Marjorie have been the past week, the latter being under the care of a specialist for treatment of the eye which was injured last week. Mr. Kelley says it was found necessary to remove the injured eye to save the sight of the other. The operation was performed last Tuesday.
Mr. Henry Clark has moved into the house formerly occupied by D.J. Gronewald.
Miss Lena Harrington left for Sibley Wednesday and from there will go to Alendorph to visit her sister Mrs. John Gifford.
Gust Selberg was in Bigelow on Wednesday.
Miss May Holland came home from Worthington Saturday to spend Sunday with her parents.
Miss Myrtle Yates is quite sick at this writing.
Jos. Fialka was on the sick list Sunday.
From the Enterprise:
Mrs. Chas. Duel, of Worthington, visited last Friday and Saturday at the home of her father, Hans Hanson.
Miss Helen Ludlow, of Worthington, visited a few days the past week at the home of her brother, J.B. Ludlow.
Misses Margaret Barron and Belle Scott went up to Mankato Friday night and visited friends until Sunday.
Rev. and Mrs. J.D. Bigg returned Saturday evening from a ten days visit with friends in the twin cities and at Amboy. They are busy this week getting settled to housekeeping.
From the Leader:
The accomodating landlord of the Lismore Hotel, Mr. L.W. Sowles, is wearing "the smile that won't come off" these days. A big 10-pound boy, who came Tuesday night to engage board at this up-to-date hostelry, is the undisputed cause.
Mr. Knips, who sustained a dislocated shoulder and other injuries, by being thrown out of his buggy in a runaway, caused by his horse becoming frightened, several weeks since, is able to be out and around again.
While playing about a buggy this morning at his farm, a three year old daughter of Murray Bixler had the misfortune to fall out of the vehicle and fracture her right arm just above the elbow. Mr. Bixler at once brought her to Lismore and placed under the care of Dr. Dickman, who set the member.
From the Tribune:
Lyle Thurber of Worthington, visited his father a few days the past week.
Mr. George Wilkins died of typhoid pneumonia at his home near Pfingsten, Wednesday morning.
Jessie and Harold Ager of Worthington, were visitors at the Ager homes in this city over Sunday.
Miss Maud Ager went to Worthington Saturday to spend Sunday with her parents.
Thos. Hayes, of Wilmont, and R. Erickson of Worthington, attended a blooded stock sale at Windom last Friday.
Miss Anna Driessen of Worthington, came the first of the week for a visit with relatives and friends.
Rev. G.G. Schmidt of Worthington and Rev. Utzinger of Mankato, were visitors at the John Geisel home in this city last Friday.
Round Lake.
From the Graphic:
Miss Edna Comer came down from Worthington last Saturday afternoon to spend Sunday at her home, southwest of town.
N.H. Austin and son, Leslie, were Lake Park visitors last Saturday afternoon.
From the Tribune:
Misses Rose and Kate McCall left Tuesday morning for Rochester, where the former will suffer an operation for ulcers of the stomach. It is hoped that this operation will restore her to perfect health again.
Harmon Gruver left Tuesday for Eastern Colorado to see how his homestead is prospering, and may possibly dispose of the thing if he can find somebody that will take it.
Miss Elva Ober, who had been working in the telephone office for several months, left this week for Adrian, North Dakota, where she will teach in the public school this year.
T.K. Olson left here Tuesday for Blue Mounds, Wisconsin, to attend the funeral of his mother, who died on the preceding day.
C.R. West has a new Ford automobile of the style called a runabout, and is prouder than a boy with a new pair of boots.
From the Democrat:
L.W. Marston's apiary produced more than a thousand pounds of honey this season. It was not a very good year for honey and Mr. Marston has only a few colonies of bees, so the accumulation of so much sweetness must have been due to the industry of the bees. The honey is worth at least fifteen cents a pound.
W.R. Mansel, of Cherokee, Iowa, arrived here last Friday for a few days' visit.
Stelle Smith, the Worthington attorney, was here Saturday on professional business.
Mrs. Mary Sweney, of Lismore township, brought suit in Justice Kilpatrick's court Wednesday against Patrick King of the same township, to recover damages alleged to have resulted from trespass of defendant's stock on plaintiff's premises. The case has been set for trial next Monday, with M.P. Thornton as attorney for plaintiff and E.J. Jones, of Worthington, for defendent.
From the News:
Mathias Pint Sr., an old respected resident of the community six miles northeast of town, died at 4:30 Monday morning, after an illness of several months with liver trouble.
Patrick O'Connor Sr. passed away at 4 o'clock yesterday afternoon at the family home in Little Rock township, of the ills incident to old age.
Friends of little Sophie Raabe united last week and purchased an artificial limb for her and she is now learning to use it.
Geo. Beak, living northeast of town and Joseph Midboe, of the same neighborhood, had some trouble the early part of the week, over Beak's hogs going onto the Midboe premises and doing damage. The development of the quarrel can hardly be traced; suffice to say that it ended by Beak using his fists on Mr. Midboe's person. He was brought before Justice Smith Tuesday morning and that worthy assessed him a fine of $25 and costs.
From the Republican:
Dr. Emil King drove to Worthington Wednesday business. [sic]
Died -- Oltman Schmidt died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Andrew Luchs, nine miles southwest of Fulda, Oct. 21th, 1907, and was buried at Pfingsten church. He was 77 years, 10 months and 13 days old. He and his family came to Pfingsten settlement about twenty years ago and while they were successful farmers, they were also quite active in social and church matters and their influence for good has left a lasting impression. His good wife died about three years ago. Their memory will be cherished by all who knew them.
Fred Coyer of Elk was in town Monday on a trading trip.
Fred Kasten of Dewald was a Worthington visitor last Friday.
Theo Bahls of Round Lake, was in the city on business Monday.
E.D. Tripp of Round Lake, was a county seat visitor last Friday.
Christ Hanson of Round Lake was in town Saturday doing trading.
Miss Clara Ackerman, of Reading, was a guest of Miss Ethel Patterson Sunday.
Miss Mamie Higgins, of New Richmond, Wis., visited friends here the first of the week.
Mr. and Mrs. Robt. Smith entertained a number of young people at dinner last Sunday.
W.O. Tillman, W.A. Wick and E. LaTourell of Wilmont, were Worthington visitors on Monday.
Mrs. H.W. Schmid left on Tuesday for Dubuque, where she will visit her parents until about Dec. 1st.
Frank Osborne of Lismore, arrived at the county bastile last week for a 30 day sojourn for drunkeness.
County Attorney E.J. Jones went to Adrian Tuesday to defend a Lismore party in a small damage case.
Miss Myrtle Briggs came down from Wilmont Tuesday to meet a friend from Sibley who will make her a visit.
Ora Oberman Sundayed at Sibley.
Lucius Town, of Balanton, visited his brother, Col. J.A. Town, several days this week.
Mrs. R.E. Tripp of Round Lake, is spending a few days here visiting at the homes of her sons, E.A. and H.R. Tripp.
Aug. Hegardt, of Round Lake, returned on Tuesday from a visit to his old home in Germany. He was absent about three months.
Tom Hogan, the genial young assistance of Manager Renner, of the Western Implement Co., spent Sunday with his parents at Lemars, Ia.
H.F. Rockwell last week closed a deal for the purchase of a saloon at Fairmont, and this week packed his household goods and will move to that place. Mr. Rockwell will rent his residence here until he is able to sell it.
Mr. and Mrs. S.A. Roshon left on Monday night for Seattle, Washington, where they expect to spend the winter. Marshal Roshon was granted a leave of absence of three months by the council, and Chas. Duel appointed marshal for the interim.
Mrs. Hamline, of St. James, was a guest at the home of W.W. Loveless this week.
G.A. Fairfield came down from St. Paul Saturday to visit his family, returned Sunday night.
M.F. Sullivan, the Singer sewing machine magnate, made a business trip to Marshall this week.
Wm. Thomsen, the well known hardware dealer at Round Lake, was a Worthington visitor Tuesday.
Miss Sophie Sterling returned on Monday from Minneapolis, where she went to attend the funeral of a sister's child.
Mrs. Willis Maxwell went to Sibley Wednesday to attend the marriage of a friend. Miss Eva Fairfield took her place in the telephone office for the day.
Mrs. Baers returned to Luverne yesterday after a visit of a couple of weeks with her daughter, Mrs. J.S. Frink. The latter accompanied her home for a few days visit.
In response to a telegram from the sheriff at St. James, Sheriff Fauskee apprehended one Frank Stern, who was a passenger on No. 1, Monday night. Stern was wanted for swindling merchants at St. James, but as the amount was small and as he was willing to pay up he was permitted to depart on making a settlement.
J.J. Bingham has been on the sick list the past week.
Miss Edith Bear has accepted a position in Hart's store.
W.S. Lewis is visiting his daughter, Mrs. R.B. Tibbitts, at Preston, Minn.
G.W. Patterson has joined the ranks of auto fiends, and last week received a machine of the Holtzman make.
Mrs. C.H. Saulpaugh of Mankato, was a guest of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Sam Allen, and other relatives, from Thursday until Sunday last.
A little child of Mr. and Mrs. Elof Swanson died at their home in Minneapolis last week. Mr. and Mrs. Swanson were former residents of this city.
J.H. Blume has closed down his steam laundry for an indefinite period to take up farming. Mr. Blume has always endeavored to give the people first class service, but there seems to be a lack of local pride or patriotism in patronizing a home institution or a white man.
Miss Rose Dabner and Miss Elizabeth Rell, of Faribault visited Worthington friends last Saturday and Sunday.
Oliver Thompson of Indian Lake,called at this office last Monday to order the Advance sent to his son, Ernest, who is attending Bethel Academy at St. Paul.
Friday, November 22, 1907
The Worthington Camp Held a Big Rally Last Monday Night.
Degress Conferred on Two Candidates By Adrian's Crack Team of Forresters.
The meeting of the local camp of Modern Woodmen held last Monday will long be held in remembrance as a red letter day in local woodcraft. At that time the fraternal degree was conferred on two candidates. Mr. E.J. Jones and Mr. H.A. Kunze. The Adrian camp had been invited over to do the work, and they came 28 strong, with their officers and uniformed team of Foresters. The visitors demonstrated that they were perfectly drilled and did the work in a manner that was edifying and entertaining to all present. One of the candidates did not fully realize what was being done for him and nearly got the best of the whole team of husky Forresters.
After the degree work an oyester supper was served in the hall, which was greatly enjoyed after the strenuous evening. After that some time was spent in social intercourse and games, until train time for the visitors.
The following are the Adrian Woodmen present:
L.W. Marsten, venerable counsel, L.B. Pettingill, worth advisor, C.F. Steffen, M. LiBaire, E.E. Jetberg, W.H. Kilpatrick, T.H. Hvid, G. Hinrichs, E. Christian, W.R. Grapes, Joe Mitboe, A. Hanson, Ed Davis, John McChord, P. Benson, J.H. Dahl, A.L. Ehlebrecht, D.H. Hallisy, Sam Jones, J.C. Haskins, Al Faragher, Tony Bemis, Jas. Bonus, Thos. and Sam Robinson, Ralph Chisholm and Tim Mead. S.N. Granger of Mt. Lake; L.J. Robbins of Magnolia and John McKenzie of Rushmore were also present.
Wooden Wedding.
Mr. and Mrs. Chas. A. Erickson, of Lawndale farm, were greatly and pleasantly surprised on Tuesday evening by fifty or sixty of their friends and neighbors, who reminded them that it was their wooden wedding anniversary, they having been married five years.
Games and music were indulged in until a late hour, when supper was served by some of the best cooks in Nobles county. Mr. and Mrs. Erickson were remembered with many handsome and useful presents of wood, and will not soon forget their fifth wedding anniversary.
Mr. Edward Smith and Miss Cora Vail, both of Lismore, were united in marriage at the home of Rev. G.A. Cahoon Wednesday afternoon, Nov. 20, 1907, at two o'clock. The bride's maid was Miss Edith Davis of this city, while the groom's brother Mr. Claude Smith, of Ellsworth, was best man to the groom. Mr. and Mrs. Smith will reside in Lismore where the groom is engaged in business.
Indian Lake.
R.T. Clark expects to leave soon for Texas and New Mexico to look over the country with a view of locating.
Mrs. S.C. Anderson came up from Elon, Ia., for a few weeks visit with her mother, Mrs. C. Saxon, Sr.
Mrs. Chas. Fulton, of Martin, Ill., is visiting relatives and friends here for a few weeks.
Mr. and Mrs. Chas. G. Larson and daughter Irene returned last Monday from a three weeks visit with relatives in Iowa and Wisconsin.
A son was born to Mr. and Mrs. Chris Solomonson last Tuesday.
The Ladies Sewing Society met with Mrs. John Nystrom last Thursday afternoon.
Mrs. Wm. Sloper was a Worthington visitor Wednesday.
Mr. Lane is fixing up the postoffice so it looks neat and tidy.
Rev. E. Haley delivered a good sermon Sunday night.
Michael Sorem, our hardware man, put a new pump in a well for Mr. Wyatt Tuesday.
Mr. Aug. Klessig is getting better since the doctor of Worthington has taken hold of his case.
Miss Lena Harrington returned home from her visit Wednesday.
Roscoe Harrington had the misfortune to rupture himself by heavy lifting.
Miss May Holland was in Bigelow Sunday and took the train for Worthington, where she is attending the High School.
Mr. J.A. Fialka went up to Sleepy Eye, Minn., on business Monday.
Mr. J.S. Seely, postmaster at Round Lake, was in Bigelow Monday on business pertaining to his farm.
Albert Voss started his corn picker agoing [sic] Tuesday and it works fine.
Mrs. Robert Bird lost one of her cows by its getting into a barb wire fence.
Mr. W.C. Wyatt lost a hog Monday of some disease.
From the Enterprise:
The officers of the Rushmore Co-operative Creamery at a meeting held yesterday afternoon made final arrangements to employ a butter maker to the place of G.W. Wheeler, whose contract expires with the close of this year.
Edwin Brickson, cashier of the Adrian State Bank, was here Tuesday attending the annual meeting of the stockholders of the Rushmore State Bank.
Mr. and Mrs. G.C. Fellows spent Sunday with D.J. Green and family near Wilmont.
If any one has any cattle to drive, call on Cordis Tipton.
Miss Nettie Trundell was a guest at the Shanks home last week.
Mr. Hilary, who underwent an operation at the Worthington Hospital, is now at home again.
Born -- To Mr. and Mrs. S.J. Anderson on Sunday evening, Nov. 10, a 9 pound boy.
Miss Kittie Galvin of Rushmore, spent Saturday and Sunday at the home G.C. Fellows.
Mrs. Jno. Apel returned Saturday from a visit at Lake Park.
Miss Leslie Schultz is sewing for Mrs. Henry Apel this week.
A birthday party was given in honor of Bertha Tipton's 14th birthday on Saturday evening at her home. A very enjoyable time was had.
Miss Vere Bathon of Fulda, spent Saturday and Sunday with Miss Elsie Booth of Seward.
Joe Walling a former resident of Seward, is visiting Chas. Booth, and expects to make that his winter quarters.
Geo. Lemen, who has been absent for two years has returned home.
Route One.
Mr. Pain has been husking corn for Art Firth the past week.
Mr. Oscar Peterson and family expect to move to town in the spring and retire from farming.
Round Lake.
From the Graphic:
Henry Albert was a passenger to Worthington and return Monday.
Al. Fullwiler, who has been very sick with pneumonia, is reported to be getting better. Cases of this kind show the necessity of having a resident physician.
Dr. Wuerzinger was in Worthington between trains Tuesday. Last night he was summoned to visit a patient near Bigelow. His little son came over with him.
G.F. Hasting was in town yesterday doing trading.
Atty. J.A. Cashel is sojourning in Chicago for a few weeks.
Taylor Johnson did trading in Worthington yesterday.
S.M. Stewart transacted business at Brewster Wednesday.
Mrs. J.P. Biltgen visited a daughter at Bigelow Wednesday.
J.E. Peterson of Bigelow township was in the city yesterday.
Albert Johnson shipped a load of cattle to Sioux City Monday.
J.O. Larson, of Indian Lake, was in the city yesterday on a trading trip.
G.W. Patterson attended a big sale of Percheron horses at Sioux City Wednesday.
Cashier Sahlstrom of the Bank of Bigelow, was a Worthington visitor Wednesday evening.
John Albinson has moved back from Minneapolis, and now occupies the Rockwell house.
J.H. Schuck one of the substantial farmers of Bigelow township, was a Worthington visitor yesterday.
A number of Worthington ladies went to Wilmont yesterday to attend an at home given by Miss Myrtle Briggs.
W.M. Evans is putting up a large double corn crib on his farm occupied by Hardy Eversole, in Elk. Sam Swanson is doing the work.
Wm. Wilson, who had spent several months here visiting at the home of his son, Alex Wilson, and other relatives, returned to his home at Pontiac, Ill., last week.
Lloyd Kuip, of Cherokee, Ia., was in the city on business Monday. He bought the southeast quarter of Sec 12, Elk township, while here.
Howard L. Durfee and bride returned from their wedding trip Wednesday and have gone to housekeeping in the Smith residence, near the Congregational church.
Theo. Bahls was up from Round Lake Monday.
A.M. Renner made a business trip to Slayton last Saturday.
Capt. J.C. Casaretto has been on the sick list the past week.
Mrs. Cal Moen visited at Heron Lake the latter part of last week.
Mrs. J. Tossini of Sibley, is here on a visit to her brother, Capt. J.C. Casaretto.
Dr. P.T. Geyerman spent a number of days at Chicago last week taking in lectures.
A. Rust, one of the bonanza farmers of Dewald township, was in the city Tuesday.
Miss May Holland, who is attending school here, spent Sunday with her parents at Bigelow.
Stanley Swanberg got a ducking Tuesday while skating on the lake. He skated into an air hole.
J.C. Williamson received on Tuesday last a shipment of three registered Poland China hogs which he purchased in Iowa last week.
P.M. Olen, of Adrian, died last Monday from an attack of pneumonia, aged 66 years. He was a member of the Woodman Camp, and curried a policy of $2000 in the order.
Miss Alice Moe, a dining room girl at the Hotel Worthington, fractured the bones in one of her limbs Tuesday afternoon, in a fall while skating on the lake. She is being cared for at the hospital.
Miss Laura Crofut, a daughter of Mrs. M.K. DeWitt, had a rather narrow escape from death by poisoning, Tuesday. After eating dinner she went to take some digestive tablets, but by mistake got hold of a box containing strong antisceptic tablets and took two of them. It was some little time before the tablets got in their work, but when they did there was a hurry call for the doctor. She was brought around alright in a short time.
J.D. Matheson of Minneapolis, spent several days here on business the first of the week.
O.B. Thusen, of Bigelow township, was a caller Tuesday.
J.J. Bingham was out again yesterday after a siege of illness.
Mrs. F.E. Worth visited in Sioux City the first of the week.
Chas. Rowley, of Reading, was a Worthington visitor yesterday.
Miss Nettie Hartsook of Sioux Falls, has been assisting in Patterson's office for a few days.
Geo. Ferdon of Route 1, took out a new steel hay press from the Smith Implement Co. Monday.
W.E. Larimour and J.F. Cass of Worthington township, attended the Woodman lodge here Monday night.
J.J. Dunnecliff made his first run as conductor, last Saturday, on the Sioux City division of the Omaha, taking W.T. Hayes run for a few days.
Ed Moberg of Bigelow township, was a caller Tuesday. Mr. Moberg has fenced his farm this fall, and next year expects to let it for pasture.
The Patterson & Erikson Co. will hold a big sale of thoroughbred Percheron horses, at their farm north of town, Thursday, Dec. 12th.
Rev. Dennis, rector of the Episcopal church at Luverne, passed through here Saturday on his way to Fairmont, where he held service last Sunday.
John Hansberger and wife and daughter Lula left on Tuesday afternoon for Alamogordo, N. Mex., where they will spend the winter with their son-in-law, Ed. C. Wilson.
Mrs. Olie Granrud, who has been employed for some time at the Sharp home in Elk township, as nurse to Grandma Sharp, went to Duluth last Sunday to visit a sister for a few days. Her place is temporarily filled by Miss Martha Kunze of Worthington township.
Corn husking machines have come into general use in Nobles county, and during the past few days the following of our progressive farmers have taken out machines of this kind from the Smith Implement Co.: Chas. Pain, Chas. and Fred Kiel, Albert Wass and Geo. Heronimous.
The following local people took dinner at the Hotel Worthington last Sunday: E.J. Wolven and family, E.B. Paul, S.M. Stewart and wife, Judge G.W. Wilson and wife, W.G. Ramage and wife, H.S. Hobson and family, S.S. Smith and family, Mrs. Petrie, J.M. Messer and wife, J.W. Roth, Mrs. Dolan, Leo and Marie, A.N. Wetherell and wife, H.R. Edwards and family, Thos. Hogan, Miss Jessie Ager.
Local News.
G.C. Fellows, of Elk, was in the city Tuesday.
Fred Trunck was in the city yesterday doing trading.
F.M. Sadler and wife, and Mrs. Coxe, of Ellsworth, had business at the court house Monday.
Mrs. Frank Glasgow received a telegram yesterday morning announcing the death of her father.
W.H.L. Prideaux and E.T. Hopkins, of Adrian, had business in the probate court here Wednesday.
John, William and Reinhold Koehn, of Bloom township, had business in the probate court here Tuesday.
J.R. Tipton went to Sioux City Saturday night with a load of young cattle which sold at the top of the market.
The neighbors of Rev. Hilary, of Elk, last week husked his corn for him, while he was in the hospital undergoing repairs.
D.M. Holland, one of the progressive farmers of Bigelow township, was in the city Wednesday and made this office a pleasant call.
A. Rynolds, one of the swiftest poultry pickers formerly with Swift & Co., at Sioux City, is now working for the Worthington Creamery Co.
Mrs. Daniel Shell and her daughter-in-law, Mrs. Lee Shell, entertained at an afternoon tea last Saturday. About forty ladies were present, and the affair was a very enjoyable one.
Friday, November 29, 1907
Whist Club
The Whist Club was entertained last Monday evening by Mr. and Mrs. W.E. Madison at a seven o'clock dinner, and there was a large attendance. After dinner several hours were devoted to whist.
At this meeting Mrs. H.S. Hobson was elected president, and Mrs. W.M. Evans secretary.
Miss Lena Harrington arrived home Saturday accompanied by her sister, Mrs. John Gifford.
P.C. Ross is going to run Scott M. Ladd's farm next year, and is buying stock for it.
Moen Baldwin was up from near Alendolph, visiting his sister, Mrs. E.H. Brown.
John Hand got kicked by a horse Wednesday and at this writing is in a very critical condition.
Mrs. Will Scott, who went to Iowa to visit her aged mother, was very much pleased to find her quite well. The old lady was up here some years ago and says she may come again, but if she does she will need a companion as she is too old to travel alone. She is now eighty-two years old.
Our townsman, Ormando Scott, received a letter the other day from his father, John Scott, saying that they arrived safely in California. The letter stated they were all well, and that their trip so far had been a very pleasant one. They called on the boys, John and Martin, at their claim in Montana, and Mr. Scott was favorably impressed with the country, and thinks the boys are well located. Jeff, who is in one of the new towns in the northern part of North Dakota met them at Fargo, and accompanied them as far as Devil's Lake. Mr. Scott's people seem to be having a very pleasant time, and their friends here will be pleased to know it.
From the Tribune:
Mrs. E.L. Latourell and two sons returned Friday from Mankato, where they had been visiting relatives for some time.
Attorney Town of Worthington was transacting business in his line in Wilmont Friday.
Miss Helen Smith of Worthington, visited her parents in this city Tuesday.
Jake and John Gerber and Solomon and Meno Jantzi left the latter part of the week for West Branch, Mich., to look over the county with a view of buying land. If the country suits them they will probably sell their property here and move to that place.
From the News:
The happy termination of a twelve-month's courtship occurred on Wednesday morning of this week, when Richard M. O'Hearn led to the hymeneal alter Alice Milligan, the ceremony being performed in the Roman Catholic church by Rev. Father McDonald.
J.W. Young is loading his goods onto a car today and expect to leave about Saturday for the new home in Tulare county, California.
About Nobles County People on the Pacific Coast.
Nov. 20, 1907.
Mr. and Mrs. Hockenson have moved into their new home at Ballard. Mrs. Hoskenson's maiden name was Miss Jessie Bly.
Wm. Clippenger left for Chehalis, Wash., where he has secured a position.
A little son was born to Mr. and Mrs. Merle Meacham Sept. 29, 1907.
Warren Ronald, of Bigelow Minn. is visiting at Wm. Mcleans this week. He and his uncle, Sam Callet [Caller?], have purchased a store at Spokane, Wash.
Mr. and Mrs. A.S. Roshon arrived in Seattle first of the week and are guests at the home of her brother, Mr. Geo. Darby.
Mr. and Mrs. Scott and daughter Miss Bessie, were calling on friends in Ballard. They stopped while enroute, to visit their son Jeff and call on the Bellknap family, old residents of Worthington.
Frank Sanford has his new house on 6 Ave., nearly complete.
Little James Maxwell has been quite sick with an attack of bronchitis.
Mrs. Ed Whitney has been sick with an attack of asthma.
Mrs. Dan Sutherland was calling in Ballard last week.
Fred Doeden was in town Tuesday doing trading.
Harry Ruprecht, of Bigelow, was in the city Tuesday on business.
Louis Olson, of Bigelow, was in town Wednesday doing trading.
Roscoe Eshleman of Bloom township was a caller on Wednesday.
Mrs. H.D. Woodford on Tuesday suffered another light paralytic stroke.
Miss Lulu Merrick, of Austin, is a guest of Miss Mabel Wheeler this week.
D.M. Holland, of Bigelow township, was in the city Wednesday on business.
Saml. and Wm. Shaw of Little Rock transacted business at the court house Tuesday.
Chas. Erickson, of Worthington township, was in town Wednesday doing trading.
Frank Dean, who had been laid up a few days with a bad cold, resumed work last Tuesday.
Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Evans and children spent Thanksgiving with his mother at Gowrie, Ia.
Jas. S. Cox and P.J. Landis, of Adrian, transacted business at the county capitol Tuesday.
Guy Fellows and family, of Elk township ate Thanksgiving dinner with A.P. Darling and family, of this city.
W.G. Ramage left on Wednesday for Carlton, Minn., to join Mrs. Ramage in spending Thanksgiving with her parents.
Register of Deeds H.R. Tripp and family went to Round Lake on Wednesday afternoon to spend Thanksgiving.
Albert Selberg, one of the substantial and progressive farmers of Bigelow township, transacted business at the county capitol Wednesday.
John Bass, a fireman on the Omaha line, last Saturday disposed of his household goods at auction, having decided to abandon housekeeping.
Mr. and Mrs. G.W. Potts, of Newcastle, Neb., spent a few days here this week visiting at the home of the Misses Maine, who are cousins of Mrs. Potts
Rev. Grant B. Wilder, of Council Bluffs, Ia., has accepted a call to the pastorate of Westminster Presbyterian church of this city, and will occupy the pulpit next Sunday.
H.S. Hobson and family went to Round Lake yesterday to spend Thanksgiving and the balance of the week with Mrs. Hobson's parents, Mr. and Mrs. J.N. Dodge.
County Attorney E.J. Jones and family spent several days at Adrian last week, visiting his parents. His mother is in poor health and he consequently makes frequent visits there.
Peter Schaff has gone into bankruptcy.
Melvin Hovey, of Rushmore, was in town Wednesday.
John Webster went to Harris, Ia., on business Wednesday.
C.H. Hugoboom, of Bigelow, was in town on business Tuesday.
W.C. Grant, of Harris, Ia., was in the city on business Wednesday.
O.W. Johnson is home on a visit to his parents, who live near Org.
Oscar Allstead, of Lismore, registered at the Western last Monday.
Father Sherman and Pat Martin made a trip to Luverne Wednesday.
M.E. Lawton made a trip to Heron Lake last Saturday on real estate business.
Miss Clara Ackerman, of Dewald, spent Thanksgiving with her friend Miss Ethel Patterson.
John Hand, of Ransom, was seriously injured on Wednesday, by being kicked by a horse.
Born -- On Wednesday, Nov. 27th, 1907, to Mr. and Mrs. O.H. Scott, of Ransom township, a son.
John Roth, of George, Ia., was the guest of his brother, G.W., a couple of days the first of the week.
G.A. Fairfield came down from St. Paul Wednesday night to spend Thanksgiving with his family.
W.O. Tillman, the prominent implement dealer of Wilmont, had business at the county seat Tuesday.
Misses Anna Williams and Blanche Donahue, of the teaching force, spent Thanksgiving with friends at Pipestone.
A.J. Carrell expects to leave next week for Pennsylvania to spend six weeks visiting his parents and other relatives.
Sterling Lawton made a trip to Minneapolis in an automobile last week, returning Saturday afternoon on the train.
Miss Adelia Johnson, who has been employed in Miss Kinlund's millinery store as trimmer for some weeks, returned to her home at Dundee on Wednesday.
Dr. A.H. Clark leaves next Monday for Denver to attend the annual convention of the Rock Island railroad surgeons. He expects to visit Colorado Springs and Pikes Peak.
Miss Flora Betts, stenographer in C.M. Crandall's law office, enjoyed a visit from her mother, Mrs. M.A. Betts, of Danberry, Ia., several days the first of the week.
Ernest Sterling came home the first of the week from Minneapolis to spend Thanksgiving under the parental roof. Mr. Sterling is employed in Dayton's department store, and has charge of the furnishings department.
I.F. Kelley returned on Tuesday from Minneapolis, where Mrs. Kelley and their daughter Marjorie are still staying. The little girl is making satisfactory recovery from the operation for the removal of her eye, and they are expected home next week.
Dr. C.P. Dolan returned on Wednesday from his hunting trip in Northern Minnesota. While in the woods it was his gruesome lot to find a dead man, and he lost some time in notifying the authorities and getting the body out of the woods.
Judge and Mrs. G.W. Wilson entertained a few friends informally Monday evening. The following were present: Mr. and Mrs. K.V. Mitchell, Mr. and Mrs. J.J. Kies, Mr. and Mrs. E.K. Smith, Mrs. Jas Suddaby and Miss Prue Town.
Miss Eva Fairfield visited at Heron Lake over Sunday.
Robt. Smith made a trip to Omaha the latter part of last week.
Geo. Butler marketed a load of fine corn in town last Saturday.
A.F. Eshleman of Elk, was in the city on business last Monday.
Adam Bauchle of Brewster, was a Worthington visitor Monday.
Mrs. J.W. Burkhart of Reading, was in the city Tuesday doing trading.
F.H. Elbert of Lake Preston, S.D., spend a day here last week visiting friends.
Peter Thompson went to Winona last Monday to serve on the Federal grand jury.
Erick Anderson and wife and Mrs. Swen Carlson transacted business in probate court Monday.
G.W. Patterson and Alderman E.V. Voak made a business trip to Brewster last Saturday.
Ted Ostrom of Adrian, visited friends here last Saturday. He went from here to Heron Lake.
A.J. Lemke of Bigelow township, was in the city Monday on business, and made this office a pleasant call.
J.A. Hagman, a traveling man, well known to Worthington people, was in the city on business Monday.
John Ramerth and John Kahle, of Graham Lakes township, transacted business at the court house Monday.
John Tryon has moved his barber shop into a room on the second floor of the Darling building on 2d avenue.
Mrs. Jos. Loveless and children returned the last of the week from a visit of several weeks with relatives in Minneapolis.
W.A. Frenz of Hersey, who had been laid up several weeks by the fracture of a bone in his ankle, was in town on business last Saturday.
W.H. Bloom made a trip to Brewster last Saturday, where he contracted to move a dwelling house from town out in the country a mile and a half.
E.E. Hashberger arrived the latter part of last week from Kansas, and has made arrangements to open a tailor shop in the Darling building on 2d avenue.
Geo. Elliot, who has been an inmate of the poor house for some time, on Monday received a letter from a brother living in Ireland, which contained money enough to pay his fare to that country and an invitation to spend the rest of his life with his brother.
M. Rosenberg returned last week from Bowman county, N. Dak., where he has taken a homestead. He will be here several months looking after business affairs. He likes his new location and will return there in the spring.
G.W. Patterson and Robt. Erickson have taken ____ ______. The name of the corporation will be the Patterson Erickson Co. and ___ will take over the Percheron farm north of town, and continue the breeding of thoroughbred horses.
Local News.
Wm. Malcolm was in from Bigelow township last Saturday.
Jas. Barnes of Bloom township, was a caller at this office last Saturday.
Mrs. J.E. Sahlstrom of Bigelow, visited relatives here last Saturday.
N.H. Elliot and family spent Sunday with relatives at Round Lake.
Henry Haggard and wife of Indian Lake did trading in Worthington last Saturday.
Mrs. H.C. Frank of Minneapolis, visited friends here the latter part of last week.
Gu_ Hedgart, who is attending school here, Sundayed with her parents __ Round Lake.
Dave Anderson transacted business at Bingham Lake for the Smith Implement Co., last Saturday.
County Surveyor M.S. Smith has taken a contract to excavate a six mile judicial ditch in Cottonwood county.
Jos. McKeever reports the birth of twin boys at his home last Friday. Joe is candidate for a Roosevel [sic] anti-race ___cide medal.
W.H. Bloom has just completed a new barn on his place on 12th street.
Mr. and Mrs. G.F. Moore left for Chicago the first of the week to spend Thanksgiving with Mrs. Moore's parents, and to take in the International Live Stock Exposition. Mr. Moore is one the foremost stockmen of the county and takes a lively interest in matters pertaining to the business.
Erastus Church, the well known Civil War veteran and market gardener, was 70 years old last Monday, and in commemoration of the event he indulged in the rare luxury of a shave and bath, and dressed in his Sunday best appeared on the streets to receive the congratulations of his many friends. Maj. Church expects to leave in a few days for Colorado, to spend the winter with a sister living there.

----End Transcription----

Microfilm, Worthington Advance; Minnesota Historical Society, St. Paul, MN; obtained March, 2008.

If you would like more information,
please contact Terri Mindock

The banner below has been added by the website host, and does not reflect any promotion by the author of these pages.