Search billions of records on
The banner above has been added by the website host, and does not reflect any promotion by the author of these pages.

Lane-Blood Genealogy
You are here:  Home  >  MN newspaper articles  >  transcription

Newspaper Articles
from Worthington Advance
 March, 1907

Use the EDIT > FIND function on your browser to search this page.
To search the rest of this site, go to the HOME page (link above)
and use the "Search this site" box.

Friday, March 1, 1907

John Saxon residing on S. 1-4 of section 30, Indian Lake township will have an auction sale on Wednesday, March 6th, 1907, at which time he will offer for sale 8 head of horses, 39 head of cattle and a large amount of farm machinery, also about 800 bushels of corn.
In Memoriam
(The following lines were composed by Mrs. Herbert N. Eggleston on the death of Mr. and Mrs. J.W. Pettis' baby, of Reading, Minn.)
Your little darling now is sleeping,
Only sleeping, mother, dear;
Why art thou in silence weeping -
Does the night seem dark and dreary?
Loving eyes have closed in slumber
Lips that we have pressed are dumb,
Golden links are snapped asunder,
But the morning soon will come.
Oh! the night is weary, weary.
Not a star shines through the gloom,
And our home is sad and dreary
Since our little one has gone.
But the morn is coming, mother,
Yonder on the golden shore;
When you'll meet your angel baby,
When the sleep of earth is o'er.
Sleep on darling, life is weary,
And though tears fall on thy tomb,
And the night seems lone and dreary
Yet the morning soon will come.
Local News.
Louis Larson, of Bigelow, was in the city Wednesday.
Lous [Louis?] Olson, of Bigelow, was at the county seat Wednesday.
Mr. and Mrs. George Hart of Elk township, were in the city Wednesday.
J.S. Kies was at Ellsworth Monday and Tuesday working life insurance.
C.J. Williamson, of Loraine, was a business caller at the Advance office Tuesday.
Mr. and Mrs. Frank Glasow [Glasgow?] returned the first of the week from their wedding trip.
F.J. Johnson, of Dewald, is serving on the Poppen jury, being one of the special venire men.
Charles Gring and his niece, Beulah, are visiting friends in Butler county, Iowa, this week.
Wm. Malcolm, the well known stock man of Bigelow township, transacted business at the county seat Wednesday.
Elmer Swanson of Reading, C.A. and Oscar Cederblade, of Seward, were in Worthington Wednesday transacting business.
James Montgomery the Wilmont banker was in Worthington on Wednesday, looking for a house. He will move to the hub in a short time, having disposed of most of his interests in Wilmont.
From the Leader.
A most enjoyable party was held last Saturday evening, when a number of the R.N.A.'s surprised Mrs. H. Olberding, in honor of her being the first bride in their amp since its organization. Games were played and at 12 o'clock a substantial lunch was served. After which everyone went home, wishing that more of its kind could be had and no doubt there will be more. Those present presented Mrs. Olberding with a beautiful silver gravy spoon.
From the Signal.
A.E. Yeske was on the Sioux City market Friday with three car loads of stock shipped last week. Al accompanied the shipment and did not find a very good maret [market].
Rev. Glick suffered a relapse in his illness Saturday and on Sunday he was unable to leave his bed. He is improving slowly at this writing and his host of friends hope he will soon regain his usual health.
S. Kindlund, of Worthington, was on our streets Monday. He had seen Mr. Wicks' ad. in the Signal and was looking for some Silver Laced Wyandotte chickens.
Indian Lake.
To late for last week.
J.A. Mace, who is visiting friends and looking after his farm in Jackson county, is making his headquarters at R.E. Evans.
Miss Annie Ellingson has returned from a three or four weeks visit with relatives at Waseca, this state.
George Storing expects to move on a farm near St. James, March 1st.
We understand that Roy Fowler will move on C.C. Nicholson's farm on Route 5, March 1st.
Gene Smith went to Adrian on business Wednesday of last week.
Geo. Hacker is ready to talk with any of you "big bugs" over the wire now.
Geo. Ferden is pressing hay for A.F. Eshelman, this week.
Indian Lake.
Ed. Johnson had one of his feet badly hurt in a wagon wheel last week, caused by his team running away while he was hauling hay, but is able to limp around a little bit now.
E.P. Johnson, our band saxophone player, visited the Worthington Cornet Band last Saturday evening. He reports the boys progressing finely.
Philathea met at Mrs. C.R. Saxons last Monday evening.
Roy Anderson entertained several of his lady friends last Saturday afternoon.
Mrs. Albert Amondson, of Worthington, spent the first of the week visiting friends.
C.R. and Walter Saxon, who keep a few hogs as a side issue, marketed over fourteen hundred dollars worth last Tuesday.
Walter Saxon left last Tuesday for two weeks visit and sight seeing at Chicago, and will also visit at Fulton, Ill.
Mr. and Mrs. T.H. Prideaux spent Sunday at Worthington at the Prideaux home at that place.
From the Tribune.
Robt. R. Smith, of the Smith Implement Co., at Worthington, was here Wednesday to act as referee in the deal between N.A. Arvison and W.E. Roberts.
Mr. and Mrs. Leon Morris drove to Worthington Monday with their eldest daughter, upon whom an operation was performed for an affection of the nose.
N.A. Arvison was at Worthington this week on business connected with the transfer of his implement business to W.E. Roberts of Wilmar. Mr. Roberts arrived here Wednesday, and the deal was at once closed up.
From the News.
Deputy Sheriff Finnerty, Chas. Dillehay and John McCarron were at Worthington last Monday as witnesses in the Louie Moe case.
Rev. C.L. Gall has been engaged to have charge of the local Congregational Church and that [sic] at Little Rock during the coming year. He is said to be an able preacher and an active church worker and the church is bound to prosper under his leadership.
A letter received from Rev. Fr. Griffin conveys the news that he is to submit to an operation for appendicitis in the Rochester hospital this week, which will be surprising news to his many friends here. It is to be hoped that the operation is successful and that Father Griffin recover from its effects with all possible speed.
From the Democrat.
A reception was given to the teachers of the Adrian public schools and other friends, at the home of Mr. and Mrs. W.J. Dumble, last Friday evening. Light refreshments were served and everyone had a delightful time.
C.T. Tupper, of Worthington, was in Adrian yesterday.
Herbert and Lelia Jones, Archie Faragher, Charles O'Day and the Meyer boys who are attending the Sioux Falls Business College, came home yesterday for a few days visit.
Local News.
W.C. Wyatt of Bigelow, transacted business at the county seat Thursday.
Anton Grote and F.T. Johnson, of Rushmore, were at the county seat Monday.
Mr. and Mrs. Frank Williams lost a little child on Wednesday of this week.
Miss Florence Lysle was a guest of Miss Alida Bedford, at Rushmore, over Sunday.
U.G. Cummings, the Wilmont hardware man, was a guest at the Western on Monday.
W.E. Roberts, the Rushmore druggist, transacted business at the county seat Monday.
Judge J.S. Randolph, editor of the Brewster Tribune, was a caller at the hub last Saturday.
Henry Shelquist, H.A. Thurber[,] John and Barney Rile, of Wilmont were down Monday attending court.
A.T. Latta has made alterations in the interior of his store the past week, which give needed additional shelf room.
John Whelan and Fred Mohr, of Reading, returned on Monday from their trip to Texas. They are reported to have been greatly pleased with the country and Mr. Whelan contemplates moving down there.
The Advance is in receipt of a letter from O.M. Moore, a former resident of Elk township, who long has resided in Colorado. Mr. Moore has spent the winter at Long Beach, California after March 1 his address will be Mount Hebron, California.
S.A. Harding received a postal Tuesday announcing the death of his youngest brother at his home on a ranch near Pierre, S.Dak. The postal had been two weeks in transit, making the sad news it contained rather belated.
A.J. Correll, of Loraine, was in the city Saturday.
C.J. Williamson, of Route 4, was in the city Monday.
G.W. Patterson was in the twin cities on business this week.
Andrew Peters, of Lismore, attended court here Monday.
Earl Erwin is assisting in the postoffice for a few weeks.
Fred Mohl, of Adrian, visited the Masonic lodge here last Monday night.
Miss Josephine Coughran is absent on a visit with relatives in eastern Wisconsin.
Postmaster C.W. Becker, of Wilmont, was at the county seat on business Monday.
Mr. and Mrs. R.P. Dorgan returned on Wednesday from a week's visit at Minneapolis.
Miss Lelia Bassett, a popular and well known teacher of Rushmore was [a] visitor in Worthington Wednesday.
The Library is indebted to Mrs. Daniel Shell for a large steel engraving which adds much to [t]he general appearance of the room.
Armond Hart was bit by their pet dog last Saturday, and the animal was put out of the world by the chlorform [sic] route. No serious results are looked for in Armonde's case as the dog was in good health.
C.M. Harding has sold his residence to C.L. Maxwell. Wednesday Mr. Harding sold his interest in his barber shop to his partner, Adolph Thomte. The Harding[s] will move to California in the near future.
While in Minneapolis with the Board of Education the first of the week A.T. Latta received a dispatch announcing the serious illness of his brother-in-law at Brighton, Iowa. He returned to Worthington Wednesday morning and left on the Thursday morning's train for Brighton.
Andrew Doeden, of Route 4, was a business caller last Saturday.
Mrs. Nellis, of Mankato, has been a guest at the residence of J.S. Kies the past week.
H.W. Shore, of Ransom township, transacted business in the county capital last Saturday.
Mrs. J.W. McBride entertained the Birthday Club on Tuesday afternoon. A pleasant session is reported.
H.R. Veeder, a prominent agriculturist of Loraine township, transacted business at the county capital Monday.
The following party of Windomites, members of the Masonic Fraternity, attended lodge here Monday evening, the communication being followed by a banquet at the Worthington Hotel; R.R. Jennes, T.E. Dickey, W.B. Cooke, Chas. Frankfether, I.T. Carpenter, E.A. Simme, T.C. Collins, Nels Anderson, Jens Anderson, Andew [Andrew?] Ellness.
Wm. Nabendahl, of Elberon, Iowa, who last fall bought the Lee Forbes farm north of town, came up Tuesday to make arrangements for his sons, Louis and Fritz, to move onto the place. He went home on Thursday to help load the stock, farm implements, etc., and will return with the young men and assist them in getting settled. Mr. Nabendahl is one of the substantial farmers of central Iowa, and if his boys are chips of the old block they will certainly prove desirable residents of Nobles County. The young men will jointly work a 400 acre farm and will engage extensively in stock raising.
A. Kirk, of Elk township, was in the city last Saturday.
Rev. G.A. Cahoon went to Windom on Monday forenoon.
Pete Swanson, of Bigelow, was a county capital visitor Saturday.
G.W. Dealand, of Org, transacted business at the county seat last Saturday.
Editor M.H. Berkhimer, of Wilmont, was a Worthington visitor last Saturday.
Stephen Wickstrom, of Bigelow township, transacted business at the county seat Monday.
County Treasurer Smith has been kept busy this week receipting for money coming in for personal taxes.
C. French, of Rochester, was here last week visiting at the home of his son-in-law, William A. Chaney.
C.O. Wells, one of the hustling farmers of Dewald township, transacted business at the court house Monday.
Rev. W.H. Knowlton, archdeacon of southwestern Minnesota, preached at St. John's Episcopal church last Sunday evening and celebrated Holy Communion.
R.C. Free, one of the genial patrons of agriculture who have transformed Elk township into a paradise, was in the city last Saturday transacting business.
C.B. Lutner, the faithful mail carrier on Route 1, at Reading, was at the county seat last Friday, transacting business. It being Washington's Birthday Mr. Lutner had a holiday.

Friday, March 8, 1907

Fire in Clary Addition.
The fire department was called out Monday forenoon by an alarm from Clary addition, but before the apparatus was got out the information was received the fire was out. The alarm was sent in from the home of Louis Hazen. Mrs. Hazen had left some clothing to dry by a stove and stepped over to a neighbor's house for a few minutes. The children in playing about the room pushed the clothing on the stove, when it caught fire. The clothing of an infant lying in a rocking chair nearby was also set afire, but was extinguished before the little one suffered any harm.
Indian Lake.
Mr. E.A. Ecklund, of Lake Park, Iowa, was calling on old friends and making new ones last Sunday.
Nels M. Langseth, who left about two months ago for Minneapolis, to seek medical aid, returned last Friday with his health greatly improved.
Mrs. Nels Grelson and daughter Miss Ebba returned from Minneapolis last Thursday, and are again settled in their country home.
Little Son of Mr. and Mrs. Elbert Hemerick Dies as Result of Poisoning.
David Hemerick, aged one year and eight months, the little grandson of Olaf Langseth, died at Madelia, Sunday evening, Feb. 24, as a result of poisoning. Mrs. Hemerick had been churning late Saturday afternoon and the baby was playing about the room. It seems that Mrs. Hemerick had occasion to step to the door for a few moments and during her absence the baby picked the bottle from the table and had drank the contents, about two teaspoonfuls, of the liquid.

A doctor was summoned immediately and the little fellow appeared to be all right. He seemed as well as usual Sunday morning, but about three o'clock that afternoon he became suddenly ill and in spite of medical aid, death came about seven o'clock that evening.
The funeral services were held from the house at one o'clock Tuesday afternoon, Rev. Palmer, of the Presbyterian Church, officiating.
Popular Railroad Man Married.
C.B. Fairfield, who for some years served as night operator for the Omaha line at this place, but now on the train dispatcher's force at St. James, was married on Wednesday afternoon at Sioux Falls, South Dakota, to Mrs. Claribelle Hart, of Rock Valley, Iowa. Mrs. G.A. Fairfield and daughter, Miss Eva, mother and sister of the groom, were among the few who witnessed the ceremony. Mr. and Mrs. Fairfield passed through Wednesday night for St. James, where they will make their future home. Mr. Fairfield is one of the best known and popular operators on this division of the Omaha system, and his genial disposition makes him a favorite with all who know him.
The bride was formerly a resident of this city but the past year has been teaching school at Rock Valley, Iowa. The young people have a large circle of friends whom the Advance joins in extending congratulations.
Is the Penalty Drawn by Sievert Poppen for Tampering With Other Peoples' Property.
The Case Against Herman Poppen Was Dismissed. Other Court Business.
[NOTE: if you want more info about this article, please email me. Other people named in the article are below.]
Joseph O. Wilson.
Fred Ehlers.
Henry Kunze.
Diphtheria in Loraine.
E.M. Dewey of Loraine township, has been taken down with black diphtheria. Some days ago he went to Madison, S.D., to attend the funeral of a brother who died of the disease. He came home on Monday of last week and was taken down on Wednesday. Dr. Manson was summoned on Friday, and he gave the antitoxine treatment, with good result. The family has been placed under strict quarantine.
The Whist Club was entertained last Saturday evening by Mayor and Mrs. W.E. Madison. An unusually pleasant time is reported.
Ed. Cummings returned last Saturday from Elk River, where he had spent several months in Oberman's logging camp.
Local News.
A.J. Woodford was in from Route 3 Tuesday doing trading.
C.A. Lutner a prominent farmer of Reading, was a Worthington visitor Tuesday.
J.W. Sliver returned on Thursday from a visit in Oklahoma, the land of sunshine and flowers.
P.W. Ledine, of Bigelow township, is making arrangements to build a fine modern farm residence on his place on section 23, Bigelow township.
Ora Oberman returned on Tuesday from Elk River, where he has spent the winter running a logging camp for his father. He will return to his work next week.
Ed. Moberg, of Bigelow, and A.G. Anderson, of Indian Lake left Tuesday for the southwest to look over the country. They will visit Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas and probably Old Mexico and will be absent about a month.
C.M. Black moved into the old French property, Tuesday. He expects to make this place his permanent residence hereafter, he having purchased the house.
Rev. H.P. Gray, of Council Bluffs preached in the church at this place Monday and Tuesday evenings.
Chas. A. Hagberg has moved into the Mrs. DeLong dwelling.
A.R. Beilke is now the Nasby of Reading, having taken over the postoffice last week. He has a neatly arranged office and is getting onto his new duties in fine shape.
One of the social events of the season occurred Tuesday, when the marriage of Edward Eggleston and Miss Emily Dilly was solemnized. The wedding took place at the home of the bride's parents, near town, Rev. H.P. Gray, of Council Bluffs, officiating. The newly wedded couple are too well known to need an introduction at our hands. We join their friends in wishing them a happy and prosperous voyage on the sea of life.
We are pleased to be able to state that John Eggleston is slowly recovering from a severe attack of rheumatism.
Mrs. O.F. Johnson is enjoying a visit from her sister, Miss Mable King, of Org.
Route Four.
Jno. Gowling arrived from Iowa, Monday, and is assisting in caring for his brother-in-law, Ernest Dewey, who has been quite ill with diphtheria.
H.R. Veeder is attending to business in Belmont, Iowa, this week.
The township board met at the home of Arthur Hansberger last Tuesday.
Clarence Dring returned Monday from a two week's visit in South Dakota.
Thos. Prideaux has moved his stock of general merchandise to the building recently occupied by E.G. Edwards. The storeroom has been remodeled and put in shape to accommodate the stock, which crowds the building to the utmost.
Chas. Mylius who has been in England the past six months, and Edwin Brickson, cashier of the Adrian State Bank, were in Rushmore Wednesday.
On Sunday occurred the sad death of Henry, the nine years old son of Mr. and Mrs. Julius Pieper, of Little Rock township. The boy was taken sick during the afternoon while Mr. and Mrs. Pieper were visiting neighbors. The older children did what they could for him -- sent for the parents and a doctor, but the sick od passed away when the latter arrived. The cause of the death we have not heard, but was a form of poisoning. The remains were placed in the cemetery at Little Rock, Iowa. The funeral sermon was preached by Rev. Wehrenberg of Worthington. The bereaved parents have the sympathy of all in their sudden and great loss.
Jas. F. Cotter, who has farmed for two years in Ransom, has moved to Rushmore and occupies the house known as the Booth property in the east part of town.
S.T. Wood and son Lester and George W. Hunt departed Saturday for Chicago. Mr. Wood accompanied five cars of stock of his own fatening. Mr. Hunt will consult a specialist concerning his, sickness remaining in Chicago some time with a brother.
On Tuesday Mrs. J.B. Ludlow and daughter Elizabeth, and Miss Alida Bedford went to St. Paul to spend a few days.
Walter Barron, Henry Nelson, George Wheeler and Fred Zinn were county seat visitors Tuesday.
On Sunday afternoon Earl McBride and Miss Marie Berkheimer and Ethel Patterson drove over from Worthington and called on Miss Alida Bedford, driving home in the evening.
From the Enterprise.
E.L. Wemple was taken quite sick this morning and is confined to his bed. Mr. Wemple has been in feeble health for some time, but has been able to be up and around, and his many friends will hope that his sickness will not be of long duration.
W.D. Boddy, of Worthington, was a business visitor here last Friday. He drove from here to Bigelow.
From the Tribune.
On Monday of this week Pauline, eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. O.P. Norland, was operated on at the Heron Lake hospital for appendicitis. When the appendix was removed and opened it as found that a feather had lodged therein, and this had undoubtedly caused the inflammation and pain from which the young lady had suffered.
Willis S. Gordon and Miss Anna Frenz were united in marriage on Wednesday of this week, at the home of the bride's parents, Mr. and Mrs. August Frenz, on Sec. 34, Hersey. The ceremony was performed by Rev. Hunter of this place, and was witnessed by none but the immediate friends and relatives of the bride and groom.
Leon Morris' furniture auction on Wednesday was a big success. The family will leave Sunday for Rockford, Washington, where they will spend some time with Mr. and Mrs. Morris' people before deciding on a permanent location. Brewster people will regret their going but hope that the move will prove an advantageous one for them.
Round Lake.
From the Graphic.
John L. Mangelson and W.H. Thomsen are somewhat under the weather with an attack of grip.
Mrs. M.V. Freeman and sister Mrs. Sawyer, expect to depart tomorrow for Maiden Rock, Wis., to take up their residence again. They have lived in Round Lake for the past eight years. The best wishes of their many friends here will accompany them.
Julius Palm and assistant came down from Worthington Monday morning to finish some carpenter work for C.J. Anderson.
From the News.
Ed Carrel, F.A. Fink, Jas. McRoberts, John Raabe, Jas. Burke, Chris Rehm, Thos. Burke, Mike Reiter, Henry Roll and John Vickerman were in Worthington last Friday, attending to court matters.
Wm. Bofenkamp returned on Tuesday morning from Rochester and Belle Plaine, Minn. He reports that Father Griffin and Raymond Bofenkamp are doing nicely since they were operated on at the hospital and will be able to return the latter part of this week.
From the Tribune.
Rev. E.M. Walker, of Worthington, was in the city the first of the week, looking after his farming interests here.
A reception was given at the Odd Fellows Hall Monday evening in honor of Mr. and Mrs. Roy Smith, who will soon leave this community. The evening was spent in dancing and card playing and all present enjoyed a pleasant evening.
Mr. U.G. Cummings, of the firm of U.G. Cummings and Co., left on the Monday morning flyer for Minneapolis to attend the meeting of the hardware dealers of the Northwest that is being held at that place this week.
From the Signal.
R.H. Wicks received his roller skates Saturday night and opened the rink Monday night. We are not informed as to how often the rink will be open, but the merry youth of the town will have a fine time learning the various angles that roller skates are likely to take.
Mrs. Yeske has been troubled with a growth under her right arm for some time and lately it has given her considerable trouble. After consulting a physician it was decided to have the growth removed and on Friday the work was done and with the exception of some soreness of the arm where the growth was Mrs. Yeske is all right at this time.
D.S. Gronewold disposed of his saloon business Tuesday to Henry Wheelhouse, of Little Rock, Iowa, and possession was given at once. D.J. Was a passenger for the twin cities Wednesday night.
Jens Christenson, of Loraine, was a caller Monday.
R.E. Darlin, of Route 1 attended the institute Friday.
S.A. Comer, of Indian Lake, was in the city last Friday.
C.J. Paine, of Hersey, was attending the institute here Saturday.
Gust Williams and son, of Reading, attended the institute here Saturday.
C.W. Johnson, of Bigelow township, was in the city Monday marketing hogs.
Jos. and Frank Fohr, of Kinbrae, were in attendance at the institute last Saturday.
Wm. and Joe Wickstrom of Bigelow township, were in the city Monday marketing hay.
Among the Reading people at the institute last Saturday were Wm. Bulick, John Good, Chas. Martin and W.F. Moss.
Miss Mae Tupper, one of the bookkeepers at the Citizens National Bank, was on the sick list a couple of days the first of the week.
Miss Ferguson, the traveling representative of the Columbian Lyceum Bureau, was taken ill at the Hotel Worthington, and was taken to the hospital, where she was under treatment for a few days.
Mrs. Martha Davis, the housekeeper for Bruce Yale, last week had the misfortune to fall on the slippery steps at the rear of the house and fractured several bones in her back. Mrs. Davis has been cared for at the hospital since the accident.
L.E. Fitch came up from Sac City, Iowa, last week and on Saturday he shipped his household goods to that place. On Monday Mr. Fitch and family left for Sac City, where they will make their future home. Mr. Fitch is engaged in the newspaper business there, having relieved his father whose advanced age has forced him to relinquish the editorial tripod.
Hon. Robert Shore, a prominent pioneer of Ransom township, and one of the Advance's most esteemed readers and contributors, was in the city last Saturday attending the farmers' institute. Mr. Shore's advanced age is beginning to tell on him and he does not visit the county capital as frequently as of old, but his old friends are all the more pleased to see him. Mr. Shore made the Advance a pleasant call.
Geo. W. Roth had business at Brewster last week.
Mrs. C.M. Crandall visited at St. Paul Monday and Tuesday.
Attorney J.A. Cashel made a trip to St. James yesterday.
Mrs. H.C. Wyatt visited at Mankato Monday and Tuesday.
Sheriff Fauskee had official business at Kinbrae last Monday.
W.A. Cloud, of Worthington township, was in town Friday doing trading.
Dr..P.F. Geyermann was called to Windom on Monday to assist in a surgical operation.
Ole Ellingson and family of Indian Lake attended the institute at this place on Saturday.
E.B. Tifft, of Sanborn, Iowa, visited at the home of E.E. Ober in Loraine township last week.
T.E. Shore and Will Downs were among the Ransom people taking in the institute last Saturday.
M.E. Lawton, our wide-a-wake real estate hustler, transacted business at Heron Lake, Monday.
W.T. Bulick, one of Summit Lake's substantial agriculturists, attended the institute here Saturday.
Miss Ethel Dunlap, of Heron Lake, came down Sunday for a short visit with her sister, Mrs. Cal. Moen.
L.S. Kenney, who recently became a resident of Worthington, has moved into the Guyse house, in Clary addition.
Mrs. Frank Anderson, of Sioux City, spent Sunday here visiting her husband, who is conductor on Omaha train No. 30.
The eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. E.L. McCartney was recently operated on for appendicitis at Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Miss McCartney is attending Normal School there.
A little daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Ulrich, of Dewald township, died last Sunday and was buried on Tuesday forenoon from the Catholic Church. The child was two and a half years old.
N.A. Arvidson, of Brewster, was in the city Saturday attending the institute. Mr. Arvidson recently disposed of his implement business at Brewster, but says he expects to engage in some kind of business in the near future.
A.T. Latta returned on Monday from Brighton, Iowa, where he was called last week by the illness of a brother-in-law. The gentleman was stricken with pneumonia and died, the funeral being held on Wednesday of last week.
H.A. Nelson, Rushmore, was a guest at the Western Tuesday.
J.F. Flynn spent Sunday at the home of his mother at Ellsworth.
J.J. Nelson, of Rushmore, was a guest of the Worthington Wednesday.
A.J. Correll was in from Loraine last Saturday attending the institute.
Will Spafford, of Ewington, Jackson county, was in the city on business last Monday.
Mr. and Mrs. J.S. Frink returned on Tuesday from a visit at the home of his parents at Flandreau, S. Dak.
Gus Swanberg, manager of the Hub Mercantile Co., was under the weather a couple of days the first of the week.
Wm. Nebendahl and sons arrived on Tuesday from Elberon, Ia. The young men will move on the Forbes place, and their father came up to see them properly settled.
A.L. Wetheral has moved back from Esterville, Iowa, and we understand he is to take the engine on the Lake Park run on the Rock Island. Mr. Pendergast will take the north run.
W.M. Evans, cashier of the Nobles County Bank, returned the first of the week from a sojourn of several months in California. Mrs. Evans and children and her father are expected in a few weeks.
Grandma Madison came down from Fulda last Saturday and spent the day visiting at the home of her son, Mayor Madison. She left on the evening train for San Diego, Calif., where she will spend some months with relatives.
Walter Berry, of Hersey township, last Sunday accidentally shot himself with a revolver. He had cleaned the weapon and put it away. Later he took it out again and forgetting that it was loaded began a little target practice on his foot, with disastrous results.
Mrs. J.N. Holbrook was made the victim of a very pleasant surprise party Tuesday afternoon by the ladies of the Woman's Relief Corps. The afternoon was pleasantly spent in social intercourse. Dainty refreshments were served. Mrs. Holbrook will leave shortly for Kansas City, where she will make her home with her brother. She has a large circle of friends in Worthington whose best wishes will follow her to her new home.
Local News.
Harry B. Lewis mad a business trip to Minneapolis Tuesday.
The Tourist Club will meet with Mrs. W.J. Dodge this afternoon.
A roller skating rink is to be opened in this city in a few days.
A.F. Eshleman, of Elk, attended the farmers institute here last Friday.
Neil Leverich, night baggageman on the Mitchell branch, visited at Mankato Monday.
C.C. Langseth, of Indian Lake, was a customer of the Western Implement Co. this week.
Chris. Hogan left this week for eastern Minnesota and Wisconsin points to look up a location.
Geo. Butcher has moved from Iowa to Worthington township and has located on the Hyslop farm.
County Commissioners Moss, of Summit Lake, Murphy, of Adrian, McConkey, of Brewster and Bryan, of Ellsworth, attended the meeting of the commission held the first of the week.
H.A. Voss, a prominent farmer of Bigelow township, transacted business and attended the institute here last Friday.
Fred Mahlberg, one of the progressive farmers of Bigelow township, was in attendance at the farmers institute last Friday.
P.C. Anderson and E.L. Johnson, of Org, and Albert Selerg and Herman Doeden, of Bigelow, are among the parties who have purchased spreaders from the Western Implement Co.
Mrs. Lee Shell and Mrs. Walter Clement last Saturday afternoon entertained a large company of lady friends at cards. A very enjoyable time is reported. Refreshments were served.
W.C. Hornbeck and family arrived the first of the week from Streatar [Streator], Ill., and moved on a farm east of town. They brought a car load of household goods, farm implements and stock.
G.W. Wilson last Saturday received a draft from the sheriff of Jackson county for $22000, being part of the judgment recently awarded in the Federal Court in the case of Mrs. O.H. Roche vs Sheriff Dunn.
The funeral of Mrs. A. Brubaker, who died recently at Clarion, Iowa, was held last Sunday from the M.E. Church in this city, the service being conducted by Rev. G.A. Cahoon. Interment was made in the Worthington cemetery.
Mrs. W.E. Mosher and son, Roy, of San Francisco, Cal., arrived this week for a visit at the home of her sister, Mrs. E.H. Horton. Mrs. Mosher passed through the earthquake of a year ago and came east to escape a like experience, which is expected next month. The coast country has had a quake every April for some years past and many people are leaving there to escape what might prove another horror.
Ed C. Wilson left on Tuesday for Oklahoma to look up a location, and will be absent about three weeks. Mr. Wilson has been informed by his physician that his lungs are becoming affected and that he must seek a milder climate. His many friends will be sorry to lose him and his estimable wife from Worthington, and will wish them the best success both in health and fortune in their new location, wherever that may be.

Friday, March 15, 1907

Son of Engineer Wetheral Meets Death at Estherville, Iowa.
Leo. Wetheral, the 24 year old son of Engineer Wetheral, was killed in the Rock Island yards at Estherville last Sunday afternoon. No one saw the accident so it is not known just how it occurred. He was found in an unconscious condition on the ground near the caboose of his train, and did not regain consciousness before his death, which occurred Sunday evening. When last seen alive young Wetheral was climbing the ladder outside of the caboose but none saw him fall, although this was the only way in which the accident could be accounted for.
The funeral was held on Wednesday at Estherville, where the Wetheral family still reside. They have the heartfelt sympathy of a large circle of friends, both here and at Estherville, in their sad bereavement. Richard Wetheral, the father of the deceased, last week took the Lake Park run on the Rock Island, and expects to move his family to Worthington about April 1st.
Guild Officers.
The ladies of the Episcopal Guild at their meeting held last Thursday afternoon, elected the following officers:
President, Mrs. Wheeler.
V. Pres., Mrs. Dovery.
Sec. and Treas., Mrs. Stanton.
The Guild will have a sale shortly after Easter.
F.T. Graves, a Prominent Pioneer of Nobles Co. Meets Fatal Accident.
Run Over By an Omaha Passenger Train at Bigelow on Thursday Afternoon.
A telephone report was received here yesterday afternoon from Bigelow, stating that F.T. Graves, a prominent and highly esteemed pioneer of Bigelow township, had been run over and killed by Omaha passenger train No. 5, at the crossing west of Bigelow.
Mr. Graves had brought in a large load of barley and was crossing the track on his way to the elevator when the train struck him. He was killed instantly, every bone in his body being crushed, but the team escaped unharmed.
Silver Jubilee.
Mr. and Mrs. P.G. Anderson, prominent members of the Swedish Lutheran church, were given a very pleasant and successful surprise party on Monday evening, by about a hundred members of the church, the occasion being the 25th anniversary of their wedding day. The evening was spent in social intercourse and delightful refreshments were served. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson were presented with a silver money as a reminder of the occasion, and the guests departed wishing them many happy returns of the day.
H.C. Reed, who has acted as agent at the depot the past two months departed for St. James Wednesday, the former agent, A.H. Ehrisman, having returned.
Mrs. A. Schaefer visited with Mrs. W.H. Booth at Sioux Falls the past week, returned home Tuesday.
H.C. Constable received car of salt Wednesday which he is storing at the rear of his store.
Olson and Kelley, of Cottonwood, have opened a store in the Mercantile building.
W.E. Roberts returned Saturday from Wilmar, where he visited with his family. He has rented rooms over the Bedford block and will move in the latter part of the month.
A caucus was held Friday night and officers were put up for the coming year. The following ticket was elected: Pres. of the council, J.B. Ludlow; board, W.C. Thom, H.C. Constable, W.H. Christenson; Recorder, A.H. Ehrisman; Treasurer, F.R. Bryden; Justices of the peace, E.S. Wemple E.G. Edwards; Constables, H.R.A. Nelson, A. Thompson.
The election of officers for Dewald township passed off quietly at Rushmore Tuesday. The term of W.C. Renshaw as chairman, having expired he was elected to succeed himself. Likewise F.J. Johnson as clerk, and W.F. Kasdorf as treasurer.
Dr. Thompson was over from Adrian Saturday with a horsebuyer.
Leistico, of Worthington, the horse buyer, bought four horses in the vicinity of Rushmore Monday.
From the Enterprise.
Mr. and Mrs. H.C. Constable returned last Friday from Goodland, Ind., where Mrs. Constable has been spending the winter with her parents, and where Mr. C. Went the forepart of February for a short visit. Mrs. Constable's health is considerable better than when she went away, which will be pleasing news to her many friends here.
Rev. Arvick, a former pastor of the Norwegian Lutheran Church of Ransom township, with his family, is visiting this week at the homes of F.H. Thompson and Hans Nelson. They are on their way to Silverton, Ore., where they expect to make their future home in hopes the change of climate will be beneficial to Mrs. Arvick's health which has been very poor of late.
Ed. Nelson returned the latter part of the week from Idaho, where he had been to look over the country. He was so well pleased with the future prospects of developments in the section he visited that he purchased a 40 acre tract of irrigated land two miles from American Falls, Idaho, and expects to move to that place next spring.
S.T. Fair is erecting a blacksmith shop on the lot near the old implement building.
G.T. Bulick and J.W. Hamilton made a business trip to Council Bluffs, Ia., in search of sheep, Saturday.
Wilmer Conklin has shipped his household goods to Round Lake and will take up his residence at that place as soon as he has completed some paper hanging here.
C.M. Black is improving his residence property by the erection of some substantial buildings.
The annual election of the town of Summit Lake was held Tuesday and was a very quiet affair, there being but one ticket in the field. The following named persons were elected to fill the various office: Supervisor, Jacob Reemtsma; Treasurer, F.A. Durfee; Clerk, R.J. Jones; Assessor, L.H. Hawkins; Justices of the peace, A.F. Eisele and S.T. Fair; Constable, W.S. Fell; Road Overseers, F.A. Durfee, J. Rogers, C. Klunder, A. Rosenberg, H.B. Dilly, F.E. Eggleston, W.F. Moss, Jas. Baird.
Section Foreman Thompson is taking a much needed vacation and is spending the time in visiting relatives in various parts of the state.
Born -- To Mr. and Mrs. E.P. Herman, on Saturday, March 2, a boy.
Mrs. Mike Thompson has been suffering from ill health for some time, and last week she went to Rochester to consult a specialist. She returned home in a few days but expects to go again before long.
Mr. and Mrs. Arvick are here paying a short visit to relatives and friends before leaving for their new home on the Pacific Coast. For a few years Mr. Arvick, who is a Lutheran minister, has been stationed in North Dakota, and now they are going to the far off land "where rolls the Oregon."
W. Parry, Ed. Shaw and Levi Rue were Ransom visitors last Sunday. Mr. Shaw hails from Watertown, South Dakota. He was for many years a resident of Little Rock township, and he has many warm friends here who were highly pleased to grasp his hand once more. He is employed as traveling agent for the Nichols and Shepard Threshing Machine Co., a position for which he is well fitted.
Martin Scott was calling on friends a few days ago. He expects to leave in a few days for Montana, where he has a homestead claim which he took last season. His many friends are wishing him success in his new venture.
Route Five.
Friday evening, March 8th, about 50 of the friends and neighbors of Mr. and Mrs. David Herline showed their love and good will by all coming with well filled baskets and surprising this worthy couple. Mr. and Mrs. Herline were completely surprised, but soon rallied and proved excellent entertainers. Music and games were the features of the evening. The guests departed at a late hour, voting the surprise a great success.
Mr. and Mrs. Peterson, of Moline, Ill., have decided to leave city life for the farm and have moved on what is known as the A.J. Bostrom farm, northwest of Worthington, Sec. 6.
Miss Fannie Hendrich is home on a vacation from Normal school at Mankato. Her many friends are glad to see her.
Mr. John Ericksen was up in Elk with his dehorning shute one day this week, where he dehorned nearly 100 head of cattle.
Mr. James Montgomery of Wilmont, was a Worthington visitor one day this week.
Elk Center.
Mrs. Martha Kellar left on Wednesday for her home in Winona. She was called here to attend the funeral of her sister's baby.
Miss Alma Schulz spent Sunday with her parents.
W.E. Roberts, of Rushmore, was in the city Monday.
Mrs. W.G. Ramage is visiting at Minneapolis this week.
Village Recorder Addington transacted business at Lake Benton this week.
Born -- On March 1st, to Mr. and Mrs. Wilkinson, of Rolette, N.D., a son.
Dwight Mott has returned to Worthington after an absence of over six weeks.
C.F. Martin and Frank Baker, of Reading, were Worthington visitors yesterday.
J.E. Shore, of Ransom township, was a business visitor at the county capital yesterday.
Will Boom, did trading at the Western Implement Co.'s establishment Wednesday.
T. Johnson, of Bigelow township, transacted business in Worthington yesterday.
Miss Marie Dovery was operated on for tonsilitis at the Worthington hospital last Monday.
Mrs. Earl D. Coss, of Luverne, has been visiting her mother and many friends in the city this week.
Mr. and Mrs. Peter Christianson, of Hinkley, Minn., visited at the home of James Mackay Tuesday.
Mrs. J.N. Holbrook left on Saturday last for Kansas City, where she will make her future home with a brother.
Miss Nellie Mott returned last week after an extended visit with relatives in North Dakota and Northern Minnesota.
E.E. Wright, who resides three miles east of Brewster, did trading at the Western Implement Co.'s house one day last week.
I.P. Fox, of Verdi, Minn., was a Worthington visitor yesterday.
Sheriff Fauskee made a business trip to Minneapolis Wednesday.
Goodward Klessig of Summit Lake, returned on Wednesday from Sheboygan, Wis., where he spent a week visiting a sister who is having a siege of illness.
John Brink, a former resident of Worthington, but for some years located at Bigelow, was in the city yesterday on business, and made this office a pleasant call.
J.W. Speilman, of Hersey, was in the city Wednesday transacting business. On Tuesday Mr. Speilman was elected for the 15th consecutive term as supervisor of his town.
The Knights of Pythias lodge held a social session on Monday evening as a farewell party to Mr. C.M. Harding, who left this week for California. A very pleasant time was had.
Chas. Rowley was in from Summit Lake Wednesday.
Nels N. Langseth was in from Indian Lake Wednesday.
Mrs. Christ Hogan has been on the sick list the past week.
A.A. Herman, of Dewald, was a Worthington visitor Saturday.
John Kelley, of Wilmont, registered at the Western Saturday.
Mrs. F. Glasgow's millinery store is undergoing extensive repairs.
A. Lempke, of Dewald, was in town Wednesday doing trading.
Chris Larson, of Round Lake did business at the county capital Saturday.
H. Wiechmann, a new resident of Hersey, transacted business in the city Tuesday.
J.F. Ullrich, a prominent Dewald farmer, was in the city Tuesday transacting business.
O.B. Thuesen, a prominent farmer of Bigelow township, transacted business in Worthington last Saturday.
M.G. Dillenback and wife are here again, and are putting on a home talent play under the auspices of the band.
Mrs. W.H. Prideaux, of Adrian, left for her home on Tuesday, after a visit here of a week at the home of her daughter, Mrs. J.H. James.
Postmaster Walker, of Ellsworth, was here Monday looking over the old postoffice fixtures, and, we understand, that he bought some of them.
Henry Uden, of Spafford, was in the city Monday transacting business. He reports that his son, who was badly cut up in a stabbing affray, is on the high road to recovery. For a time the young man was in a precarious condition and the outcome was doubtful.
The following Worthington people took dinner at the Western Sunday: Mr. and Mrs. N. Fauskee; Mr. and Mrs. M.E. Fish; F.C. Stitser and family; Ray Wolven, Willie Loveless and lady; D. Anderson and family; H. Schmidt; E.E. Baxter; Mr. and Mrs. H.J. Bume [Blume?]; G.V. Pettit and family.
Last week G.W. Patterson took 14 head of his fine thoroughbred Percheron horses to a sale at Faribault, where they were all disposed of at good figures, averaging $700 per head. Two young stallions were sold for $2500 each. Mr. Patson [Patterson] added to his string a Percheron stallion that he regards as the finest in America, which he purchased from Mr. Dunham, the famous Illinois breeder. Mr. Patterson also bought a number of fine French coach mares from the same party.
Mr. and Mrs. C.M. Harding and daughter, Mildred, left on Tuesday evening for Corona, Cal., where they expect to make their future home. Mr. Harding had been engaged in the barber business in Worthington for many years, and was well and favorably known and highly esteemed by all. He and Mrs. Harding have a large circle of friends, who, while deeply regreting their departure from Worthington, will wish them success and contentment in their new home.
Peter Doeden went to St. Paul last week to look for work.
I.F. Kelley spent several days of last week in Minneapolis on business.
G.W. Patterson was at Faribault last week attending a sale of Percheron horses.
H.R. Veeder of Lorain, returned last Saturday from a visit to his old home in Iowa. He was absent about a week.
J.S. Ramage returned last week from a business trip to the Pacific Coast. He was absent about two weeks and visited Seattle, Portland and other points.
W.A. Barton, formerly of Spafford, Jackson county, but now a resident of Zion City, Ill. was in the city last Saturday. Mr. Barton represents an office supply establishment, and will travel in this territory in the future.
Round Lake.
From the Graphic.
R.J. Hesser, of Holstein, Iowa, is making a canvas among the farmers of this vicinity with a view of starting up the creamery. If he secures enough cream to make it win, he will start up. It is hoped that he will succeed.
Duncan Sutherland's parents returned last Friday forenoon to their home in Heron Lake after a short visit with their son and family here, who will take up their residence in Canada this spring.
Mr. and Mrs. Ira P. Huggins departed last Saturday morning from Worthington bound for Linden, Ia., to reside. Crawford Turner accompanied them, to Cherokee to visit a week with relations.
From the Brewster Tribune.
Rudolph Geyerman is trying very hard, but with poor success, to conceal his joy over the arrival of a boy at his home, on Monday of this week. It is said to be an exact pattern of its dad in build, behavior and general appearance.
George W. Voak and his bride returned to Brewster on Sunday from their wedding trip to Minneapolis and other points in that vicinity. On the night of their arrival in the city a reception was held in their honor at the home of the bride's parents, and a number of valuable presents were given them. Later in the evening the explosion of a stove at the Johnson home set fire to Mrs. Voak's clothing, but she escaped with a few slight burns, although her wedding dress was practically ruined.
C.B. Andrews, formerly an implement dealer and late a furniture dealer at Rushmore, is now in charge of the implement business in this place, lately sold by N.A. Arvidson to W.E. Roberts.
At the village caucus held Wednesday evening at the Brewster Auditorium all the members of the present council were nominated to succeed themselves, and George W. Voak and Mike McCall were again nominated for treasurer and assessor. John S. Randolph was nominated to succeed himself as justice of the peace, and B.T. McChetney was also nominated for justice.
From the Signal.
Peter Henderson, of Round Lake township, lost his barn and several head of stock by fire last Friday.
The Box Social for the benefit of Ernest Carlton, last Saturday evening, was well attended, the proceeds amounting to $16.
The Bigelow township caucus was held on Tuesday afternoon and the following received the nominations: Supervisors, C.F. Modisett, Town clerk, E.F. Clower; Treasurer, H.A. Voss; Assessor, D.A. Reynolds; Justice of the peace, D.A. Reynolds and Charles King; Constables, Owen Hand and C.J. Burnham.
Indian Lake.
Crowded out last week.
Miss Nellie Johnson came home last Friday having closed a very successful term of school in the Blixt-Holm district.
Miss Alida Loveless, of Worthington, spent several days the first of the week visiting with Mrs. Alma Larson.
Crowded out last week.
Mr. and Mrs. H.S. Studebaker last Monday morning moved to their new home north of Brewster.
Mr. W.S. Rainer, of Barnum, this state, arrived here last Saturday with two cars of effects, remained in town over Sunday and was moved to his home on the Eikenberry farm Monday.
The funeral of Martha Beulah, the little daughter of Frank and Mary Williams occurred last Saturday afternoon at two o'clock, at the Brethren Church. The body was buried in the cemetery across the way.
Mrs. D.H. Kellar, of Winona, and sister of Mrs. Frank Williams, came to attend the funeral of her niece and will remain over March 10.

Friday, March 22, 1907

Shot in the Eye.
Lester Lundgren, the six year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Will Lundgren, met with a serious and painful accident on Saturday last while playing with another little boy. The playmate was amusing himself with a bow and arrow and shot the arrow toward the Lundgren boy. It took an erratic course and struck the latter in the eye, cutting a deep and painful gash in the eye ball. Dr. Manson was summoned to dress the wound. He thinks the eyesight can be saved if no unfavorable complications set in, but it will take some time to determine the outcome.
March Weddings.
The home of Mr. and Mrs. K. Deuth of Org, was the scene of a most happy event Wednesday evening at six o'clock. At that time their daughter, Margaret, was married to Mr. David E. Hutton by Rev. G.A. Cahoon, pastor of the Methodist church of this city. The wedding march was played by Mrs. G. Foster Moore. The bride's maid was Miss Fannie Deuth, a sister of the bride, while the groom's best man was Mr. C.R. Erwin. All who know the Deuth household will know that the supper was a sumptuous one. More than one hundred guests were present and many beautiful presents were received. The bride and groom have both resided in this county for a number of years and will continue to make their home among us.
The pleasant farm residence of Mr. and Mrs. Coleman Guernsey, in Ransom, was the scene of a very happy event on Wednesday afternoon, which was largely attended by relatives and friends of the family. The occasion was the marriage of the daughter, Clara, to Mr. William Downs. The ceremony was performed by Rev. Gillis of Rushmore. After congratulations had been offered the party sat down to a splendid wedding dinner. The young people are well known and highly respected and have a large circle of friends, whom we join in wishes for a long and happy life.
Wedding Anniversary.
Mr. and Mrs. William Hastings were agreeably surprised on Wednesday evening of this week, when about fifty of their friends dropped in to spend the evening and incidentally remind them that it was their wedding anniversary. A delightful evening was spent and refreshments were served by the self-invited guests.
Death of F.T. Graves.
On Thursday of last week, March 14, occurred one of the saddest accident that ever happened in this neighborhood. By this time the details are so well known that there is no need of repeating them. It is enough to say that on that day F.T. Graves, known to every body as Frank Graves, was killed at the railroad crossing a short distance north of the village of Bigelow. He had been over to Bigelow township to get a load of seed oats and was returning home when, on crossing the track, he was struck by the southbound passenger and instantly killed.
The funeral was held on Sunday and was by far the largest ever seen in this part of the country. It is estimated by some that fully 500 people were present. The service was conducted by the resident pastor Rev. W.M. Gillis, and throughout was admirably suited to the occasion. The casket was literally covered with beautiful flowers, the gifts of loving friends, fit symbol of their sympathy and esteem. In the gathering were those who represented almost every station in life, every nationality and every creed. The day of mourning makes kinsfolk of us all.
F.T. Graves was born at Kinderhook, N.Y., July 23, 1854, so that at the time of his death he was in his 53rd year. Mr. Graves had three brothers and one sister, all of whom are living -- two brothers and a sister in Ohio, and one brother, F.A. Graves, at Zion City, Illinois. He came to Nobles county in 1876, and soon after he settled on the land where from that time to the present he has made his home.
Frank Graves, as a man, little need be said. He was a truly good man in the highest and truest sense. Everybody seemed to know him and to like and respect him. He was a man with hosts of friends and but few, if any enemies -- perhaps not one. For twenty years or more he served almost continuously in some public office, and this not because he was an office seeker, but because his neighbors and friends had unbounded confidence in him. He served as town supervisor as assessor, and as county commissioner, and in all of these positions he served most acceptably. In the church, in the Sunday School, in social life, and in all public matters he was a controlling, leading spirit and he did more, perhaps, to mould the sentiments and life of this community than any other one man in it.
Peace to his ashes. We can only wish that we had more men like him.
The bereaved family have the sincere sympathy of the whole community. --Robert Shore.
Card of Thanks.
We wish to express our most sincere thanks to all those who so lovingly assisted us, both in words and deeds, during our great sorrow. God bless you all.
Mrs. F.T. Graves and Family.
Elk Center
Miss Fannie Hendricks is home from Mankato to spend a week with her parents.
Mr. Ramer moved last week from the northern part of the state on the Eikenberry farm.
A.E. Dreier, from Burlington, Iowa, a nephew of Mr. Paul Schulz, and A. Oberman was here to spend several days with relatives. Mr. Dreier travels for Dr. Kilmer. He has spent this winter in Texas, Oklahoma and Indian Territory, and is now working over Iowa.
Orrie Oberman, who has been in the northern part of the state this winter cutting wood, was home to spend a few days with his parents, returned Monday, taking with him horses and wagons; also another man to help him haul his wood.
Melvin Eikenberry is on the sick list. Fern Eikenberry also has been quite sick.
J. Schechter spent Sunday at Lake Park.
Geo. Hacker sold a large bunch of hogs this week.
Mrs. V.V. Smith left for Canada Monday.
Mrs. A.M. Wells spent Tuesday with George Smith's, of Summit Lake.
After spending a short vacation at home, Miss Fannie Hinrichs returned to Mankato Monday.
Roy Fowler moved into the C.C. Nicholson residence Thursday, March 2.
Frank Williams and wife visited their brother, Auren, last Sunday.
News has come to us to the effect that Miss Mary Moore, sister of O.M. Moore, former resident of this township, is to be married to H.W. Allen, of Franklin Co., Iowa.
S.T. Fair was a county seat visitor Tuesday.
Geo. Butcher, of Wilmont, was a business visitor in our village last Monday.
Ole Olson made a pilgrimage to Worthington Saturday.
Will Bulick is undergoing a siege of the mumps.
Miss Mary Moberly, teacher in the Rust district, was obliged to postpone her school, Monday, on account of sickness.
R.H. Loafman is on the sick list, having called in Dr. McCrea, of Fulda, Tuesday.
Chas. Williams and W.J. Klessig and ladies, took in the home talent play at the Fellows district, east of town, Friday evening of last week.
J.W. Pettis and wife left Saturday for the home of the latter's parents, in the northern part of the state.
From the Tribune.
Rev. Samuel Wallace, of this place, and Rev. Sage, of Heron Lake, are conducting revival meetings at Bingham Lake this week. For two weeks preceding this Mr. Wallace was at Mountain Lake engaged in the same work.
D.V. Lees and Otto Knuth visited the county seat Wednesday and returned by the mode usually adopted by editors and stranded actors.
From the Democrat.
Robt. Reed, oil inspector for this district, was here yesterday to see that the Standard Oil Co. gives us the real thing. It makes the oil inspectors suspicious every time John D. donates a few millions to some worthy cause.
Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Mylius, who have been visiting here for the past few weeks, left Saturday night for Janesville, Wis., for a short visit with relatives. From there they will go to Chicago and New York for a few weeks and sail for England some time in April. They expect to return to America next year.
In company with a lawyer named Davis, J.L. Raymond Lindgren, son of Mrs. A.G. Lindgren has opened a law office at Marshall, Minn. Mr. Lindgren is a graduate of the Law Department of the State University and a young man of character and ability. He is well qualified to achieve success in his profession.
From the News.
John Maher slipped on the icy steps at his home in the north part of town one day last week and broke three or four ribs. Owing to his age and crippled condition the injuries are most painful.
John Sykes, the deceased, was born in New York City, January 16, 1824, and died at his home near Beverly, Ill., Feb. 25, 1907, aged 83 years, 1 month and 9 days.
At the age of ten years he came with his father's family to Beverly township, where they became the second settlers in the township.
Here, as a boy, he helped his father to build the second log cabin in the township and here the subject of our sketch spent 73 years of his life on the land his father then entered. The deceased was of singular purity of mind and speech and a most ardent lover of nature.
To him the ever changing appearance of the forest, the growth of a tree or the opening of a bud were subjects of untiring interest and pleasure.
He enjoyed life and endeavored to get all the good of living.
He was married to Miss Ethel Holt April 11, 1852. He leaves to mourn his loss his aged companion and one son, R.H. Sykes.
In addition to his business here the deceased invested successfully in real estate in Minnesota, which he had improved and farmed. In this he took much interest.
Funeral services in his memory were held at the home on Wednesday, Feb. 27th, conducted by the Rev. C.B. Dabney, of Barry, Ill. A large number of friends gathered from many places to express their sorrow and their high esteem for the departed. The remains were laid to rest in the family cemetery.
Chas. Dring was in from Loraine Wednesday.
A.F. Eshleman of Elk did trading in town Wednesday.
J.F. Flynn was an over Sunday visitor at Ellsworth.
City Attorney Smith had business in Sioux City Wednesday.
Dr. and Mrs. L.R. Gholz visited at Spirit Lake over Sunday.
P.H. McCarvel of Brewster was a Worthington visitor on Monday last.
Claude Ventioner is back at his old place with the hotel Worthington.
The Halverson Bros. of Loraine township did trading in this city last Saturday.
Oliver Thompson, of Indian Lake township, was in the city Wednesday transacting business.
Orville Selby, who had spent the winter in Chicago attending school, returned home last Saturday.
Mike Rosenberg and Hans Jorgenson of Org left last week for North Dakota to look for farm lands.
Mrs. Jacob Gregerson of Indian Lake township last Friday had the misfortune to fall and break a limb.
Dave Herline, a prominent farmer of Worthington township, transacted business in the city Monday.
Attorney John A. Cashel went to Oakes, N. Dak., last Friday on legal business for the National Bank, of Ellsworth.
Major B.G. Thurber came down from Wilmont Monday to look after business interests and remain until after the election.
Mrs.V.E. Buttler of Heron Lake came down Wednesday for a visit of a couple of days at the home of her brother, G.A. Fairfield.
Frank Dow of Sioux City, who came up to attend the funeral of his brother-in-law, F.T. Graves, visited his parents here on Tuesday.
Mrs. Maggie D. Bishop, daughter of Mrs. N. Grelson died in St. Paul, Monday, March 11, of consumption, after an illness of about ten weeks.
The Smith Implement Co. reports the sale of spreaders to the following progressive farmers: Geo. Goodrich, Arends Bros., Fauskee Bros., Alf Lambert, C.W. Johnson Frank Green Six machines, all sold last week.
John A. Saxon, a prominent pioneer of Indian Lake, was in the city Wednesday on business. Mr. Saxon was glad to hear that Worthington went dry, and says that he believes that most of the people of his township feels the same way about it.
John Sutherland of Battleford, Canada, left for his northern home on Tuesday, after an extended visit with relatives and friends in this county. Mr. Sutherland is an old Worthington boy, having been employed for many years on the Omaha line as a fireman.
Mr. and Mrs. John A. Boberg returned last Sunday from the Pacific coast, where they spent the past year. They were located at Seattle for several months before coming home, and Mr. Boberg said he liked the climate there very much. Their many Worthington friends are pleased to have them home again.
Geo. Hastings was in from Elk township Wednesday.
T.L. Tipton of Elk was in on business last Saturday.
F. Schaefer of Hersey did trading in Worthington Tuesday.
Chas. Lass of Dewald was in town on a trading trip Tuesday.
C. Hogan left this week for Texas to look up a business location.
Clarence Thompson of Indian Lake was in town Wednesday.
A. Albert of Luverne visited with his partner, H.R. Rockwell this week.
A. Heuermann of Dewald transacted business in Worthington Wednesday.
Hans Nystrom, a prominent Indian Lake farmer was in the city Tuesday.
Miss Minnie Shattuck is having a number of repairs made on her dwelling on 9th street.
Henry Kunz, a prominent farmer of Elk township, did trading at the county capital on Tuesday.
Miss Jessie Garness, of Lakefield, was an over Sunday visitor at the home of her aunt, Mrs. Alma Peterson.
Miss Esther Peterson, of Pillager, is here on a visit to her aunts, Mrs. Alma Peterson and Mrs. Gus Swanberg.
G.W. Patterson this week sold three fine Percherons, a stallion and two mares, to Henry Netz, of Fairmont.
G.F. Hilstrom, of Collendar, Ia., was in the city the first of the week renewing acquaintances and looking after business matters.
Geo Hackett of Bigelow township came up last Saturday to meet his brother, F. Hackett, and wife, who came up from Illinois for a short visit.
Mr. and Mrs. A.J. Kirk returned home last Saturday from Omaha, Neb., where they attended the funeral of Mrs. Kirk's mother Mrs. Smith.
Mr. and Mrs. A. Oberman left yesterday for Elk River, where they will stay for a month or two while Mr. Oberman looks after his lumbering interests.
T.J. Nicholson, the founder of the Worthington Herald, was in the city last week, renewing old acquaintances. Mr. Nicholson is now living at Cherokee, Iowa.
Ed. C. Wilson returned last Tuesday from his trip to Indian Territory, where he spent a couple of weeks looking for a location. He failed to find any place to suit him and will leave again in a couple of weeks, for New Mexico, to look over that state.
G.A. Fairfield and family have moved into the Anton house on 6th avenue.
J.O. Larson of Indian Lake was a pleasant caller on Wednesday of this week.
Dr. and Mrs. H. Wiedow were at Lake Park this week visiting friends.
Mrs. Theodore Hendricks, of Worthington township, was in the city Monday on a shopping trip.
Matt Brayton of Indian Lake yesterday brought up his daughter to be treated for a fracture of the elbow.
Mrs. Fred Goff last Friday entertained her Sunday School class at her pleasant home on 7th avenue. About 50 of the little folks were present and spent a very pleasant afternoon.
I.T. Branigan was up from Edna, Ia., Wednesday on business. While here he sold his farm in Hersey, township to A.E. Little, one of the hustling and progressive farmers of that town.
Misses Fannie Hendricks, Amy Darling, Emma Ferguson and Ross Sather returned to their studies at the Mankato Normal school Monday after spending their spring vacation at home.
R.O. Williams, of Kinbrae, was a Worthington visitor Monday. He came down to take back a thoroughbred Percheron brood mare purchased from Mr. G.W. Patterson. Mr. Williams will raise a few thoroughbreds and is getting some good stock to start with.
The remains of little Dorothella Maxwell, daughter f Mr. and Mrs. Maurice Maxwell, of Ballard, Wash., who died last month, were brought to this city on Tuesday of this week and interred in the Worthington cemetery. The funeral was from the home of J.H. Maxwell, grandfather of the deceased. Mrs. Merl Meacham, a daughter of Mr. Maxwell, accompanied the remains from Washington to Worthington.
From the Tribune.
Mrs. H. Peter Lewis was called to Estherville, Monday, by the sad death of Mr. Leo. Wetherell, who was killed by falling between the cars and breaking his neck.
At a meeting of the school board Saturday, March 9th Mr. James Montgomery resigned as director of the school board and Mr. G.E. Briggs was appointed to fill the vacancy.
Mr. John Steble, of Cherokee, Iowa, arrived in Wilmont this week and took possession of the F.W. Bultman farm, in Bloom township, which he will work the coming year.
Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Fell, living southeast of Wilmont, are the happy parent[s] of a baby girl, which arrived at their home Tuesday, March 12.
The city election passed off very quietly Tuesday, the following officers being elected: Pres., O.H. Tillman; Councilmen, Peter Spartz, A. Shelquist, Thos. Hayes; Treasurer, U.G. Cumming; Assessor, W.O. Tillman, Recorder, J.J. Weitzel; Constable, L.W. Sowles; Justice of the peace, R.W. Ager.
From the Signal.
F.H. Lord has signed a contract with the Standard Drainage Co., of Windom, and will be their head engineer on the outfit that works on the slough in the north part of the township. They expect to commence the work just as early as the frost will allow them.
A deal was closed Thursday whereby S. Westby disposed of his dwelling property here to Mr. Downs of Ransom township. Mr. Westby is trying to secure another dwelling to reside in.
B.C. Kortlever and daughter departed Friday morning for Bellingham, Wash., near where they will make their home in the future. These people have resided in this vicinity for a number of years.
Local News.
G.W. Patterson made a business trip to Sioux City Wednesday.
Theo. Bahls and H.C. Carter, of Round Lake, transacted business at the county capital Tuesday.
Dan W. Chute came down from Wilmont last Saturday and remained until after election. Mr. Chute has been doing some building at Wilmont and baled a lot of hay on one of his farms near that place.
Windom Reporter: Dr. Lanham, of Worthington, was in Windom between trains Thursday consulting with Miss Ferguson about giving lectures for the Chicago Lyceum Bureau another year.
C.T. Tupper made a business trip to Cherokee, Iowa, last Tuesday.
John D. Wood came up from Nebraska to call the High License caucus, and remained until after election.
J.M. Kimmel, of Reading, was in the city Wednesday on business. Mr. Kimmel is one of the prominent Nobles county farmers who is glad Worthington went dry.

Friday, March 29, 1907

Little Marion Nance Answers the Death Angel's Summons.
Last Friday a pall of gloom was cast over the home of Mr. and Mrs. E.L. Nance when their youngest son, Marion, aged two years and six months answered death's summons. The little fellow had been frail all his short life but appeared in usual health up to Thursday night, when he showed signs of having taken a bad cold. Double pneumonia developed, and in about twelve hours life was snuffed out.
The funeral was held on Sunday afternoon from the Presbyterian Church and was largely attended. Many followed the remains to the Worthington cemetery, where the interment was made. The sorrowing family have the sympathy of a large circle of friends in their sad bereavement. The fact that the little fellow had always been frail had particularly endeared him to his parents and other relatives.
Birthday Club.
The Birthday Club was entertained Tuesday afternoon by Mrs. J.M. Addington, when a very pleasant time was had by all present. The amusement feature was an "L" party, which proved quite unique, and afforded much merriment. Dainty refreshments were served.
Ledine - Rebuck.
Wednesday, March 13th, 1907, at the Lutheran parsonage in Polo, Ill. Miss Anna K. Rebuck of Polo, and Arvid Ledin, of Minnesota, were united in marriage by Rev. P.B. Holtgreve, pastor of the bride. The bride was gowned in pink silk trimmed in white lace and the groom wore the usual black. After the ceremony the young couple went to the home of the bride where at six o'clock a wedding supper was served to the near friends. In the evening a company of the bride's friends called to congratulations the happy pair and pass the evening pleasantly.
Mr. Ledin is not known here but it is said by those who know him that he is a worthy young man. His bride is a daughter of Mr. David J. Rebuck, of Polo, and is a quiet modest young lady who is well thought of in her circle of friends. Mr. and Mrs. Ledine intend to go to housekeeping in Bigelow, Nobles county, Minnesota. --Polo, (Ill.) Press.
Mr. Ledine is one of the prominent and substantial farmers of Bigelow township, and one of the leaders in his community. He has a large circle of friends whom the Advance joins in congratulations.
Quilting Bee.
Mrs. J.C. Williamson, of Loraine township last Friday gave a quilting bee at her pleasant farm home east of town, which was attended by a large number of her lady friends. The ladies derived much amusement out of he old fashioned party. Refreshments were served.
F.C. Stitser will dispose of his household goods at auction at Peter Thompson's corner, March 30. Don't miss this sale.
Local News.
Carl Sasse, of Dewald, was in the city Tuesday.
Louis Olson was up from Bigelow Saturday.
Fred Shaffer, of Elk, was in town Saturday.
R.H. Dieckhoff spent Sunday with his family in this city.
Emil Fauskee went to Minneapolis, Monday, to seek employment.
Miss Hilda Carlson, of Dewald, did trading in Worthington Tuesday.
I.D. Hoover, of Fulton, S. Dak., was in the city on business the first of the week.
Mr. and Mrs. Emil Johnson, of Dewald, did trading in Worthington Tuesday.
Rev. C.O. Swan preached in the Swedish Lutheran Church at Lakefield last Sunday.
Misses Laura Coffett and Ivey Lewis, of Fulda, were guests at the Western Hotel Wednesday.
P.A. Heinl left on Wednesday night for Watertown, S.Dak., where he takes a position in a hardware store.
Geo. Pfarer, of Brewster, has taken a position in Luehr's hardware store, and will take charge of the tinshop.
Will Devaney, Charles Loveless, Clark Pannell and Ralph Berkley went to Round Lake yesterday on a fishing trip.
Christ H. Larson, of Indian Lake, was in the city Saturday doing trading.
John S. Frink, the plumber, spent Monday and Tuesday at Emmetsberg, Ia., where he secured two good jobs of plumbing.
Mrs. Cass, of Lake Park, and Mrs. I.F. Kelley, visited in Worthington the first of the week.
Rev. L.F. Badger, of Mankato, pastor at large of the Presbyterian Church, transferred here on Wednesday on his way home from Round Lake.
Mrs. J.H. Kyle, of Aberdeen, S. Dak., is here looking after operations on her many farms. She is accompanied by her son, and will remain a few days.
Mr. Nelin, a student of Gustavus Adolphus College, at St. Peter, has spent the week here visiting Rev. C.O. Swan. He preached at the Swedish Lutheran Church last Sunday.
Carroll Nance was taken suddenly ill Wednesday evening with spinal meningitis, and at present is in a precarious condition. The attending physician hopes to be able to pull him through.
Born -- On Tuesday, March 26th, 1907, to Mr. and Mrs. J.H. Blume, a son. Mother and child are doing nicely, but Jack has been so excited that he is entitled to a little leniency in case he fails to get your laundry out on time.
A. Nazarenus, a prominent farmer of Elk township, transacted business at the county capital Saturday.
New Lunch Room.
Albert Amondson last week opened his new lunch room in the Workman Building and invites the public to give him a call. Everything is new and neat.
From the Democrat.
A.M. Becker has sold a 240 acre farm fifteen miles south of Winnepeg, for $5,040. Three years ago he traded some old merchandise for the tract, allowing $11 per acre for it. He has still about 320 acres left, valued on an average at $18 per acre.
George Eppers, who has been spending the winter in southern California, returned home last Saturday. He enjoyed his stay there very much, but, like everybody else who goes there from this part of the country, he is glad to be back again. It isn't all sunshine and flowers there any more than it is "beer and skittles" here. Wm. Gough and Ed Libaire also returned from California, Saturday.
From the News.
John O'Connor's horse became frightened at the cars last Thursday evening when near the Wagner crossing and throwing Mr. O'Connor out of the buggy made a race for town, where he was captured before much damage was done.
Fatty Esser departed Monday morning for Murdo, S. Dak., where he is to take a place in Joe Putney's barber shop.
Round Lake.
From the Graphic.
Ed Stoltenburg, of Worthington, is in town today.
Herbert Horton, of Worthington, visited relatives and friends here the forepart of the week.
Martin Gregerson and wife, of Worthington, visited at the home of Mr. Gregerson's parents the forepart of this week.
Chas. Nienaber, John Merce, Ross Anderson and Geo. Greenland departed Tuesday forenoon enroute to Haswell, Col., to take a look at the country. Some of the boys may take a homestead, if they like that section.
A.L. Wells and assistant are down from Brewster making telephone connections this week.
From the Enterprise.
A real estate deal was made last week through the Rushmore State Bank whereby Ole Johnson sold his 80 acres in the southeast quarter, section 3, Dewald, to Geo. Greig.
Dr. Carrel and W.E. Roberts made a deal Tuesday whereby the doctor traded his stock of patent medicines and drug sundries and some vacant lots in the south part of town to Mr. Roberts for an improved 80 acre farm in Todd county.
Miss Mamie McGlashen, of Edgerton, is visiting at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Ive Baird, south of town.
John McChord was at Luverne one day last week negotiating for the purchase of an automobile. In case he is appointed carrier on the new mail route to be started from the Rushmore postoffice May 1st, he figures on using an automobile instead of horses.
Mrs. Judd, of McIntire, Iowa, a sister of Mrs. J.C. Thom, has rented J.B. Ludlow's house north of the Presbyterian Church, and will move here about April 1st, to make her home. Mrs. Judd owns the north east quarter of section 12, Olney township, and comes here so as to be nearer her property.
Dr. Spaulding, of Luverne, was in town Monday night on his way home from Wilmont, where he had been to perform an operation on a one day old baby.
From the Tribune.
F.D. Wells left Sunday afternoon for St. Paul, and on Monday went from that place to Sandwich, Ill, on a business and pleasure trip. He will visit with his people at Sandwich and with his wife's people at Leland and will return home the last of the week.
Bernice Irene, infant daughter of H.B. Nelson and wife, aged about 11 months, died Sunday afternoon after a short illness.
Death at any time is a sad and solemn thing, but when a mother passes away, leaving two helpless little ones, as in the case of Mrs. Albert Hagerman who died early last Monday morning, the sorrow is too deep for expression. Mrs. Hagerman had scarcely begun to recover her strength after the birth of her little daughter two weeks ago, when she was attacked by a complication of diseases which culminated in typhoid fever. The funeral was held Tuesday at the Methodist Church.
Herman Baumgart and Miss Alma Ihrke were united in marriage by Rev. H.J. Mueller at the German Lutheran Church Wednesday noon.
A notable event in the lives of Mr. and Mrs. Meier was their 25th wedding anniversary last Friday and the affair was celebrated by [the any] (sic) their friends at their home in this place, in an appropriate manner. A large number of guests were present, among the number being Mrs. Meier's brother and four sisters and their families from Elberon and Keystone, Iowa. Mr. Meier's brother and his family from Utah and also the Henry Iver's family from Rushmore.
From the Signal.
Miss Gertrude Dow, of Worthington, was the guest of her sister, Mrs. Carrie Graves, from Thursday evening until Tuesday morning.
John H. Scott is making some improvements on his farm in Ransom in the way of a new sheep shed and hog house. He is also having his house papered and painted. John believes in keeping his property up in the best possible shape, as he gets better returns from the place.
Ole Lundberg, of Worthington, transacted business in our town Wednesday afternoon. He owns a farm in the northeast part of the township, but seldom gets to our town.
Round Lake.
Chas. Nienaber returned this week from a trip to Colorado.
A.L. Wells, the Brewster telephone magnate, transacted business here Monday.
G.W. Walker recently bought his partner's share in their general store here.
A.F. Knephoff was in from Jackson Monday.
D. Sutherland this week shipped a car of emigrant's movables to Canada, where he goes with his family to make their future home.
L.M. Austin went up to the county seat Monday.
Mayor E.A. Tripp came down from the county seat Monday to look after business matters here.
Editor Randolph, of Brewster, was down Monday taking in the sights. Randolph may not be a physical giant, but unlike the Worthington hot air bag, he has too much sense to be continually making a noise like a polecat.
Johnson and Johnson have moved their shop to their new location. They have in their employ an old experienced blacksmith from New Ulm.
Rev. L.M. Badger supplied the pulpit here Sunday, Rev. Lanham being unable to come on account of his holding a funeral service at Worthington.
John Poppen is reported as being very low at this writing. His recovery is very doubtful.
Mrs. E. Bowersock is visiting relatives at Sibley and Ocheyedan.
M.P. Mann was transacting business in this city last Tuesday.
Mark Eshleman is moving onto the farm of G.W. Patterson, north of town.
Christ Miller has invested in a brand new buggy of the latest pattern, purchased from Baird and Bulick.
Editor Hamstreet, of Rushmore, was interviewing friends here Monday.
A pleasant surprise party on Rudolph Williams was given Tuesday evening, at the home of his sister, Mrs. G.A. Hagberg.
John Whelan hauled his emigrant goods to Worthington the first of the week and loaded them on board the cars preparatory to moving to his new home in Texas.
C.H. Stover, of Park City, Utah, who had been here on a visit to his half brother, John Meier, of Brewster, was in the city last Saturday. He left on the night train for Utah.
Indian Lake.
P.W. Ledine, of Bigelow, is erecting a new seven story building.
Hans Nystrom marketed a fine bunch of fatted cattle in Round Lake last Saturday.
Miss Esther Peterson, teacher in the Sorem district, has started Sunday School in the Hedlund school house.
P.H. and Dan Nystrum [Nystrom?] marketed six loads of fine hogs in Worthington Monday.
Roy Anderson attended religious services at Worthington Sunday evening.
Indian Lake.
Miss Esther Peterson, of Pillager has been visiting relatives in Indian Lake for a few days.
Arthur Larson cornetist and Ensel Thompson, trombonist, are the latest members to join the band.
Rev. Oberg left last Tuesday for Rushmore on business, returning Wednesday.
Miss Esther Peterson left last Friday for her home at Sioux Falls, S. Dak., to attend the funeral of a friend. She returned Monday.
Mr. N.M. Lengseth and wife left last Tuesday for Rushmore, where their daughter, Mrs. erness, is seriously ill.
Mr. and Mrs. Fred Coyer were at Worthington on business last Tuesday.
Elk Center
Tom Hagge is hauling lumber for an addition to his house.
Miss Emma Schultz is staying at Henry Woodford's.
Chas. Hilary, a former resident of this place, shipped his goods here on Thursday of this week and Mr. and Mrs. Hilariy [sic] are expected here in a few days to take up their residence upon the W.H. Keller farm. Mrs. Hilary has been engaged in the mission work for a number of years, but on account of poor health has had to give up the work.
Roscoe Eshleman has moved north of Reading on one of Patterson's places, which he intends to farm this year.
Mrs. G.V. Thompson is reported as being quite sick.
John Kimmel went to Lake Park Saturday on a business trip, returning on Monday.
John Meier, of Brewster, was in the city Saturday.
L.M. Austin came up from Round Lake last Monday.
Albert Levine made a trip to Round Lake Monday.
I.F. Kelley made a business trip to South Dakota last week.
M. Swedberg, of Bigelow, was in town on a trading trip Tuesday.
Claus Groninga, of Org, did trading at Hart's Cash Store last Friday.
Albert Hactor, of Indian Lake, was in on a trading trip Saturday last.
N.N. Langseth, of Indian Lake, transacted business in town Saturday.
Fred Doeen of Worthington township, was in the city on business Monday.
Dr. Hought, of Sibley, was called here last Friday in consultation with Dr. Wiedow.
Mrs. H.C. Frank and son, of Minneapolis, are visiting friends and relatives here.
G.W. Dow of Ransom was in the city last Tuesday. He made this office a pleasant call.
Wm. Malcolm, the progressive stockman of Bigelow, was in the city last Saturday doing trading.
Mrs. J.D. Farmer, of Minneapolis, is here on a visit to her mother and sister, Mrs. E.A. Wheeler, and daughter.
Albert Shelquist, a prominent Wilmont farmer, transacted business here last Saturday. He made this office a pleasant call.
Dr. Henry Wiedow made a professional visit to Paulina, Ia., Monday.
Register of Deeds H.R. Tripp fished at Round Lake Monday.
Mr. and Mrs. A.J. Kirk returned home last week from Omaha, Neb., where they attended the funeral of Mrs. Kirk's mother, Mrs. Sinnett.
Ernest Sterling and his sisters, Mrs. J.H. Hickman and Miss Sophie Sterling spent a couple of days in Minneapolis last week visiting relatives.
Mrs. P.A. Ringler was in the city last week circulating a petition for the release of her husband, who is serving a term at Stillwater, as the culmination of a shooting affray.
Mr. and Mrs. James Gibson and Miss Myrtle Robinson, of Luverne, W.F. Robinson and R.A. Nance, of Nebraska, arrived last week to attend the funeral of little Marion Nance.
Ernest Norberg arrived on Tuesday from California and spent a couple of days here visiting his cousin, John Benson. Mr. Norberg will go to Windom, where he has a situation for the summer.
Mr. and Mrs. E.L. Nance will leave next week on a trip to the Pacific Coast to look over that and intermediate country with the view of selecting a location. Mr. Nance has in view the Coos Bay country, and will spend some time investigating its future.
John E. Carlson returned last Saturday from Bushnell, S. Dak., where he had just completed an elevator for the Davenport Elevator Co. He has three others to build for the McIntyre and Engold Company. He left on Thursday for Leola, S. Dak., to begin operations.
Dan Nystrom, of Bigelow, was in town Tuesday.
C.W. McElroy has secured a place at Wilmont for the summer.
W. Quinn, of Jackson, was a Worthington visitor Monday.
A company of glassblowers are occupying Maccabee Hall a number of days this week.
Rudolph Geyerman, the Brewster department store magnate, transacted business at the county seat Wednesday.
Capt. J. Casaretto has taken the agency for the florist Jos. Tosini, of Sioux Falls, and is prepared to take orders for all kinds of plants, cut flowers, wreaths, etc.
I.F. Kelley returned on Wednesday from South Dakota, where he spent a couple of weeks looking up the price on farm lands. He found nothing to interest him.
B.F. Dickerson, of Estherville, has been taking tickets on Conductor Crosby's run, during the absence of the latter and Mrs. Crosby, at Hot Springs, S. Dak.
Died -- Mrs. B. Fagerness, of Rushmore, died on Wednesday of this week of blood poisoning, resulting from child birth. The funeral will be held today at Rushmore. The deceased was a daughter of N.N. Langseth, of Indian Lake.
C.J. Smallwood on Wednesday received a telegram from Milwaukee, stating that his sister, residing there, was critically ill with double pneumonia. Mr. Smallwood left on the first train for Milwaukee, going by the way of St. Paul, where he was joined by another sister.
Mrs. M.J. Braddock, an aunt of Mrs. C.J. Smallwood, died on Thursday of last week at Chicago. The remains arrived here last Saturday, and were interred in the Worthington Cemetery by the side of her husband. Mrs. Braddock was formerly a resident of Worthington and was well and favorably known to many of the older inhabitants.
Mayor E.A. Tripp made a business trip to Round Lake last Monday.
Conrad Synkerson went to Round Lake last Monday to look up a few jobs of painting.
Julius Moll went to Brewster last Friday on a trading trip. We are informed he bought a new hat and quite a jag of hardware.
J.S. Tolverson, cashier of the Farmers' State Bank at Fulda, transacted business in Worthington yesterday. Mr. Tolverson says his bank is doing a fine business.
J.H. Peterson, the contractor, made a trip to Round Lake, Monday, and while there contracted for the erection of a new farm residence, for Mr. Anderson, a prominent farmer living near that place.
Mr. and Mrs. E.J. Wolven returned last Monday from Daytona, Fla., where they spent the winter. They greatly enjoyed their stay in the land of sunshine and flowers, and come home in the best of health. They stopped off at Pecatonica, Ill. where they spent a few days visiting friends.
C.B. Cabot, V.E. Butler, Dr. Moe, B.P. St. John and Ben Sontag went to St. Paul Wednesday morning to put in some good licks among their acquaintances in the legislature, for the location of a state farm and agricultural school at Heron Lake. This is not the only town that is after a school. --Heron Lake News.
Miss Emma Hamlett, the popular saleslady at Hart and Co's. store, will leave next Monday for a visit at her home in Missouri. Several members of her family are ill, and she will spend some time with them. Miss Hamlett is one of the most successful and popular salesladies in the city, and her many friends will miss her from her accustomed place.



----End Transcription----

Microfilm, Worthington Advance; Minnesota Historical Society, St. Paul, MN; obtained March, 2008.

If you would like more information,
please contact Terri Mindock

The banner below has been added by the website host, and does not reflect any promotion by the author of these pages.