Search billions of records on
The banner above has been added by the website host, and does not reflect any promotion by the author of these pages.

Lane-Blood Genealogy
You are here:  Home  >  MN newspaper articles  >  transcription

Newspaper Articles
from Worthington Advance
 February, 1907

Use the EDIT > FIND function on your browser to search this page.
To search the rest of this site, go to the HOME page (link above)
and use the "Search this site" box.

Friday, February 1, 1907

AGED PIONEER DEAD  [Note: there is an updated obituary, below.]
Mrs. Peter Geyerman of Brewster Summoned to Rest Last Monday.
Mrs. Peter Geyerman, one of Nobles county's earliest settlers, died at her home at Brewster Monday, after a short illness with dropsy. The funeral was held on Thursday afternoon from the Catholic church at Brewster, Father Sherman of this city conducting the obsequies. The funeral was largely attended, hundreds being unable to gain admittance to the church.
The deceased was the wife of Peter Geyerman, the pioneer merchant of Brewster. She was a lady of kindly disposition and lead a quiet Christian life, being a faithful helpmate and loving mother. She leaves beside an aged husband, three sons and one daughter. The oldest son Rudolph is at the head of the big department store of P. Geyerman & Son, at Brewster, the second son is Dr. P.F. Geyerman, a leading physician of this city, the youngest, Ed. is also connected with the store at Brewster. The daughter is Mrs. Otto Berreau, the wife of a prominent business man at Currie.
Serious Accident
Clinton, 11 years old son of Frank Lyons, residing just north of the city, met with a serious accident Sunday afternoon, which narrowly escaped fatal results. They were running the gasoline engine pumping water for the stock, and the little fellow was near the shafting when the mitten on his left hand was caught and before the engine could be stopped his arm had been drawn around the shaft and broken above the elbow. The thumb of the same hand was bent backwards and torn from the ligaments, causing most painful injury. Surgical assistance was summoned and such relief as possible was rendered. Had he been alone at the time he probably would have been whirled to death about the shaft.
Finger Amputated
At the home of his parents near Reading on d afternoon Samuel Kimmel, aged 13 years, was unfortunate enough to get one of his fingers in a falling trap door. The member was so badly mangled that amputation was necessary, the operation being performed at the Worthington Hospital Wednesday.
Birthday Party
Mrs. Ed. J. Jones last Saturday afternoon gave a birthday party in honor little Dorothy's third birthday. The following little folks, attended by their mammas, were present: -- Harrold Gholz, Carroll Edwards, Lower Schmidt, Genevieve Fauskee, Bessie Bishop, Beatrice Weinandt, Faith Jones, Genie Stoutemeyer.
The little folks were entertained with juvenile amusements, while the ladies spent the afternoon in social intercourse. Dainty refreshments were served.
Victims of Coal Gas
Mrs. W.E. Madison and two of her daughters last Sunday morning had a close call from suffocation by coal gas. Mr. Madison got up early and after fixing the fires left the house. A short time later Mrs. Madison experienced a feeling of a peculiar illness and had one of the girls telephone to a neighbor for help. A physician was summoned, who soon straightened them all out. As it was Mrs. Madison and the two girls had a rather close call from suffocation by coal gas.
Married at Mankato.
The following from the Mankato Free Press of January 20th, is an account of the marriage of a son of Mr. and Mrs. G.A. Fairfield, of this city:
Miss Ruth Funston and Mr. Ord A. Fairfield were joined in marriage last evening  eight o'clock, the happy event taking place at the home of the bride over Overman's music store, Rev. Peter Clare officiating. The bride is a handsome young woman and accomplished. The groom is a printer and has been in the employ of the Free Press. The father of the bride, who died a few years ago, was a cousin of General Funston. The newly married couple have the best wishes of a large circle of friends.
Birthday Club Entertained
The ladies of the Birthday Club were entertained on Thursday afternoon of last week by Mrs. J.S. Frink in honor of her birthday, and a very pleasant time is reported. Several hours were spent in social intercourse after which a fine dinner was served. Mrs. Frink was presented with a handsome set of fruit knives, as a pleasant reminder of the occasion.
List of Jurors
List of Grand and Petit Jurors drawn for the February term of District Court, Nobles County:
Grand Jury
Chas. E. Horton, Round Lake Vil.
Fred Shaefer, Hersey Twp.
J.W. Speilman, Hersey Twp.
H. Burgeson, Graham Lakes Twp.
C.E. Harding, Graham Lakes Twp.
C.J. Erickson, Dundee Vil.
W.F. Kasdorf, Dewald Twp.
Peter Dahlberg, Dewald Twp.
C.F. Martin, Elk Twp.
George Hoffman, Wilmont Twp.
Gust Grant, Wilmont Vol.
Phil Landis, Adrian Vil.
Manuel Cross, Westside Twp.
Herman Voss, Larkin Twp.
N.H. Cook, Leota Twp.
Thomas Fagan, Grand Prairie Twp.
Wm. Wheatley, Ellsworth Vil.
John O'Conner, Little Rock Twp.
Fred Dalheim, Worthington Twp.
Wm. Chaney, Worthington Vil.
M.E. Fish, Worthington Vil.
Fred A. Howard, Worthington Vil.
Axel Sterling, Worthington Vil.
Petit Jurors.
John Murphy, Indian Lake Twp.
Henry Dierks, Loraine Twp.
John Voss, Loraine Twp.
August Johnson, Dundee Vil.
F.J. Johnson, Dewald Twp.
W.H. Baker, Summit Lake Twp.
Frank Williams, Elk Twp.
Elmer Hays, Wilmont Vol.
C.A. Dalyn, Seward Twp.
H. Faragher, Adrian Vil.
D. Hallisey, Adrian Vil.
Walter Premo, Adrian Vil.
H. Uthe, Olney Twp.
E.F. Forrest, Lismore Twp.
John Hoffkamp, Leota Twp.
Emil Graf, Lismore Vil.
Matt Gerardy, Grand Prairie Twp.
Wm. Hocking, Grand Prairie Twp.
Thomas Carey, Grand Prairie Twp.
Anton Grote, Little Rock Twp.
F.C. Hand, Ransom Twp.
Taylor Johnson, Bigelow Twp.
M.P. Mann, Worthington Vil.
John Chaps, Graham Lakes Twp.
Indian Lake.
John A. Saxon sold his large crop of turkeys last Monday.
Charles Lovestedt and Andrew Nelson of Ackley are visiting friends and attending to business relative to some personal property which they have.
The Band held its annual meeting last Thursday evening. Besides transacting routing business, elected the same officers: -- President, Wallace Saxon; Secretary, O.H. Nystrom; Treasurer, Alfred Larson; Director, C. Solomonson.
Miss Lillian Saxon arrived from Denver, Colo., last week where she has been for the past year. She expects to stay about three months.
Miss Josie Thompson entertained a number of her young friends last Sunday afternoon.
Albin Vihlen speared a pickerel in Round Lake last Saturday that weighed between fifteen and sixteen pounds.
A few days ago a report was spread that A.W. Ferrin, a former resident of this town, was dead. The report was untrue although Mr. Ferrin came so near to death's door that his life was despaired of. He is now out of danger.
We had two deaths in Ransom last week, something unusual. Miss Johanna Torbeck, aged 19, died on Monday the 21st and Mrs. Christina Winters, aged 73, died on Thursday the 24th, at the home of J.W. Ashbaugh, where she had been cared for by a daughter from Iowa, where the remains were taken for interment.
E.W. Savage, of the State Prohibition Committee, was in town Wednesday making dates for a temperance speech.
M. Ronan was a business visitor to Iona Tuesday.
Mrs. J.W. McBride of Worthington, spent several days this week, visiting friends in this locality.
Sanford Peters has been quite sick and is under the care of Dr. Carrel.
From the Enterprise:
H.G. Cromwell closed a deal this week whereby he sells out his interest and accounts in the eight western townships of Nobles county to Peter Vander Basch, of Leota. Mr. Cromwell expects to locate in Worthington in the spring, to be nearer the center of his work and will still continue in the same business.
Miss Belle Dow, of Worthington, is visiting this week with her sister, Mrs. C.E. Boddy.
From the Democrat:
Gladys, the oldest child and only daughter of Nick Erpelding, died Thursday evening, January 17th, 1907, after an illness of more than eight months, nearly all of which time she was confined to her bed.
Elk Center.
The Mission Band met at Mrs. Filbruns this week.
Baby Melvin, little son of Abe Eikenberry is reported as being quite sick again.
Joshua Schechter has organized a singing class, which meets every evening at the Brethern church.
D.P. Schechter is teaching in Dist. No. 6 during Miss Vails illness.
Mr. J.S. Cocks made a drive to the county seat Sunday.
Mr. M. Roy Segar returned from Albert Lea Wednesday, where he has been attending school.
M. Wood the hotel proprietor of this village is sick with rheumatism.
Several of the friends of Mr. and Mrs. Franklin gave them a very pleasant surprise party Monday evening.
Lineman Guthier, of Fulda was repairing the local phone lines Wednesday, in Kinbrae and vicinity.
Yoemen Officers.
Annual installation of Yoemen officers was held Tuesday evening, January 22nd, at A.O.U.W. hall, the following officers having been elected for the ensuing year:
Foreman -- Rev. John E. Evans.
Master of Ceremonies -- Wm. H. Barklew.
Correspondent -- Mattie M. Hastings.
Master of Accounts -- E.C. Pannell.
Chaplain -- Mrs. Etta Stanton.
Overseer -- Mrs. A.J. Collins.
Sentinel -- Ed. Norris.
Watchman -- A. Amundson.
Lady Rowena -- Mrs. E.C. Pannell.
Lady Rebecca -- Mrs. Alma Peterson.
Guard -- Arthur Borst.
After the installation ceremonies refreshments were served and a delightful time enjoyed by the archers.
Local News.
S.A. Harding went to Reading on Wednesday to attend the revival meetings being held there.
Wm. Chaney officiated as undertaker at the funeral of Mrs. P. Geyerman, yesterday, at Brewster.
Luverne Journal: A.F. Foote who has been employed as night clerk at the Manitou for some months resigned his position and left for Worthington last Wednesday. He has received a lucrative position with the Peavy Grain company as traveling representative, with headquarters at Worthington.
Lismore Leader: Tuesday Chas. Abbott loaded his household goods in a car and on Wednesday shipped them to Worthington where they intend to make their home in the future. We are sorry to see them leave us but wish them success in their new home.
Mrs. A. Dickens made a trip to St. Paul the first of the week.
J.P. Selberg of route 2, was in the city Saturday doing trading.
Born -- On Sunday, Jan. 27, 1907, to Mr. and Mrs. F.M. Black, a son.
G.A. Selberg of Bigelow township transacted business in town Saturday.
Born -- On Sunday, Jan. 27, 1907, to Mr. and Mrs. W.I. Humiston, a son.
H.R. Rockwell who was on the sick list last wee, was out again Monday.
Claude White is visiting at his old home at Mason City, Ia., for a couple of weeks.
Lous [Louis?] Olson of Bigelow township was a business visitor in Worthington Monday.
O.A. Selberg, a prominent farmer of Bigelow township, was in the city Saturday.
Mrs. G.A. Fairfield and daughter Miss Eva, spent Sunday with friends at Heron Lake.
Mrs. Geo. Behrenfeld of Heron Lake was a guest at the home of P.H. Brown this week.
The Misses Mullaney and Nelson of the teaching force spent Sunday at Heron Lake visiting friends.
Mrs. John Salstrom of Bigelow spent Sunday here visiting her parents, Mr. and Mrs. J.P. Biltgen.
Jas. Mann is working in Torrance and Son's store for a couple of weeks during the absence of Claude White.
Frank Klein of Rushmore transacted business at the county seat Tuesday and favored this office with a pleasant call.
Miss Frear, who taught in the schools here last year, is seriously ill at her home at Mt Vernon, Ia., with diphtheria.
Wm. Devaney on Tuesday moved into new quarters in the Klasey building, where he will operate a first class pool room.
W.P. Reed of Englevale, N.D., a former resident of this city, passed through town the first of the week on his way to Iowa to visit friends.
H.A. Kunz of Elk township recently bought three registered Duroc Jersey brood sows, from the Humiston Brothers, for breeding purposes.
C.B. Fairfield, who last week became an attaché of the dispatcher's office at St. James, spent Sunday at his home here. Charlie say he has to make a noise like real work in his present position.
Chas. Sawyer, of Hull, Ia., passed through Worthington Saturday on his way to Lismore to take charge of the leader, which he recently purchased form his father. Mr. Sawyer is a bright young man and will no doubt give Lismore a good paper.
Mayor and Mrs. H.S. Hobson left on Tuesday afternoon for Rochester, where Mrs. Hobson will submit to an operation for appendicitis. This comes as a great surprise to her many friends, and all will hope for her complete and speedy recovery.
Mrs. H.D. Woodford, who has been ill for some weeks, is reported to be in a critical condition. Her brothers and a sister have been sent for and Dr. Spaulding, of Carroll, Ia, their old family physician, was called last Sunday in consultation with Dr. Weidow, but he held out small hopes [for] recovery.
O.W. Peterson of Avoca was in the city Monday.
W.J. Bock of Lake Park registered at the Western on Wednesday.
Mrs. J.S. Friank [Frink?] has been on the sick list a number of days this week.
Mrs. Beers, of Luverne, is here on a visit to her daughter, Mrs. J.S. Frink.
W.I. Lambert and Gus Hoag, of Aberdeen, S.D., were registered at the Western Tuesday.
Cashier J.S. Tolverson of the Farmers State Bank at Fulda was a Worthington visitor yesterday.
Miss Nettie Fitch has resigned her place in the Advance office and will shortly go to Wyoming to make her home.
Mrs. A.L. Dunlap of Heron Lake was called here this week by the serious illness of her daughter, Mrs. Cal Moen.
Misses Laura Cain and Mollie Oakes and Mr. Reuben Oakey of Round Lake were guests at the Western last Saturday.
Dr. P.F. Geyerman went to Brewster Wednesday and remained until after the funeral of his mother which was held yesterday afternoon.
Rev. G.M. Walker came up from Round Lake last Saturday to visit his family and hold service at the Workan hall for the Christian congregation.
Banker C.R. West of Brewster came down Tuesday afternoon having business at the court house. He stayed to hear Father Vaughan's lecture in the evening.
A.M. Renner, the manager of the Western Implement Co., returned last week from his trip to Chicago and other points east. He reports a pleasant and profitable trip having obtained many valuable pointers relative to the machinery business for the coming season. Regarding his reported matrimonial venture he is very reticent, and refers all enquiries to that prince of joshers, Jack Cashel.
Mrs. W. Pettis of Reading is reported to be quite ill.
S.M. Stewart made a brief business trip to Sioux City the first of the week.
Miss Helen Ludlow is home from her school in Seward township on a short visit.
Mrs. J.W. McBride spent several days of this week visiting friends at Reading.
Miss Mae Tupper spent Sunday and Monday at Cherokee, Ia., visiting her brother Orvid, who is working in a bank there.
[NOTE: if you want more info about this article, please email me. People named in the article are below.]
Patrick Kelly; Olmsted county.
A.N. Rowe; Donaldson.
Frank P. Czech; Holding, Stearns county.
Fredolin Marty; Woodbury, Washington county.
John Magner; Nicollet county.
Mrs. Brit Lee; St. James.
Frank Butterfield; Windsor, Wisconsin.
John P. Quirk; Minneapolis.
Earl W. Whitehead, brakeman on the Wisconsin Central; Ramsey county.
Hon. B.F. Langworthy; Brownsdale.
Patrick Fallihee; St. Paul.
John T. Byrnes; Litchfield.

Friday, February 8, 1907

Mrs. C.H. Smith, a pioneer resident of Worthington, died at her home in this city on Monday afternoon, after a short illness, aged 72 years. The funeral was held this afternoon from the house, and was largely attended. The deceased had been a resident of Nobles county 25 years and was a well known and highly esteemed lady and a prominent member of the Congregational church. She leaves only one child, Miss Grace Smith. Her husband was insurance commissioner for four years.
Mrs. Earl Hopkins of Adrian, wife of the operator at the Omaha depot at that place died suddenly on Monday morning while on a visit with relatives at Rushmore. Mrs. Hopkins, whose maiden name was Miss Mollie Prideaux, was married a year ago. She is a niece of Richard Prideaux of this city.
The home of Mr. and Mrs. Johnson of Org was the scene of an auspicious event on Wednesday evening when their daughter, Reka, was married to Mr. Peter Bjornstad, a prominent young man of the neighborhood. The ceremony was performed by Rev. J.E. Evans of this city and was witnessed by a large company. The usual festivities followed.
Col. Holbrook Coming Home to Resume His Calling as Auctioneer.
A piece of news that is calculated to "throw the scare" into the large crop of colonels that has sprung up since his unannounced departure last fall, was received by the Advance on Wednesday from Col. J.N. Holbrook, saying that he would return to Worthington, Feb. 11th or 12th to resume his work as auctioneer, and asked us to make mention of the fact.
It is possible that the colonel has reached a due sense of penitence over his escapade and is coming home to make amends. Kill the fatted calf, bring on the glad rags and jewelry and receive the prodigal joyously.
Pleads Guilty
Morris Nelson, the young man who confessed to rifling letters at the hotel Worthington, made application to plead guilty, and on last Friday Judge P.E. Brown came over to hear the plea and sent the young man to the reformatory for indeterminate term. Sheriff Fauskee took the prisoner there on Monday night.
Local News.
John Apel of route 1 was in town on business Tuesday.
Peter Berg of Loraine was a Worthington visitor Tuesday.
E.S. Terry, a well known farmer of Elk township, was in the city Tuesday on business.
Erick Anderson, a prominent farmer of Reading was a pleasant caller at this office Tuesday.
Geo. F. Hastings, a prominent farmer of Elk township was a pleasant caller at this office Tuesday.
O.J. Roskam a prominent farmer of Dewald township, was in the city Tuesday on a shopping trip. He made this office a pleasant call.
Born -- On Friday, Feb. 2, 1907, to Dr. and Mrs. F.M. Manson, a son. The little doctor was an early riser and beat the ground hog by several hours.
J. Ed Moberg and E.J. Thoren two prominent young farmers of Bigelow township, came up Monday night to try their horsemanship on the Workman goat. They got through with the rest of the big class without mishap, although Ed twisted his head nearly off looking for the unexpected to strike.
Obituary. [Note: see previous obit, above.]
The Advance was misinformed in some particulars last week regarding the late Mrs. Peter Geyerman, of Brewster, which the following obituary notice from the Brewster Tribune will no doubt set right:
A great wave of sorrow swept over this village Monday, when it was reported that Mrs. Peter Geyerman had passed away. She was seriously ill for only a few days, but had been rather feeble for several years. The cause of her death was diabetes.
Mrs. Geyerman's maiden name was Berreau, and the [sic] was born in Germany April 5th, 1835. When about 23 years of age she came with her people to America, and settled in Carver county, Minnesota, where five years later she was married to Peter Geyermann. Six children were born to them, of whom three are dead and three are living, and known to the people of this vicinity as Rudolph, Edward and Peter.
In the fall of 1881 the family came to Brewster and Mrs. Geyerman was from that time on one of the most highly respected and  best beloved women of this community. She was a woman of high character and considerable education and culture, a passionate lover of music and beautiful things of all kinds, a most faithful wife, and a devoted mother and grandmother.
In times of trouble, sickness or death Mrs. Geyerman was always ready and prompt in giving aid to others, and those who knew her through all the long hard years when the country was new will remember her many kind acts and mourn the loss of a true friend.
The funeral was held yesterday afternoon at the Presbyterian church, and only a few of the friends who had gathered were able to get inside the building so large was the crowd. Rev. Mapson had come down from Balaton to assist in the service, but after announcing his text he was suddenly taken ill and was unable to proceed. Rev. Hunter made a few brief but appropratie remarks, and followed this the burial occurred at Hesrey [Hersey?] cemetery.
The community deeply regrets the passing away of this most estimable woman, and the sympathy of their many friends is extended to the bereaved relatives.
Harvey Chute left for Iowa Tuesday and up to the present writing had not located them.
Miss Grace Cass was compelled to give up her school the fore part of the week on account of sickness. She resumed her work Wednesday.
Mrs. F.C. Bulick was a county seat visitor Tuesday.
The directors of the State Bank of this place held their annual meeting Tuesday, Mr. Ned Jones of Worthington and Edwin Erickson of Adrian, being the out-of-town attendants. The usual routine of business was transacted and the semi-annual dividend declared.
W.E. Ward made a business trip to the county metropolis Tuesday.
Mrs. A.F. Durfee is again on the sick list. Her many friends sincerely hope that she will escape with nothing more that [than] a temporary indisposition.
The Ladies Aid Society will meet with Mrs. D.S. Sisson Friday.
D.H. Sisson this week purchased a fine thoroughbred bull from Oliver & Madison. D.H. believes in raising the best there is.
Baird & Bulick and A.R. Beilke have this week completed their annual invoice and both report prosperous years' business.
The infant boy of Mr. and Mrs. J.W. Pettis passed from this life last Friday morning. The little one was sick but a short time but the best medical aid could not relieve him. The funeral services was held at the church Saturday and the remains interred in the Summit Lake cemetery. The bereaved parents have the sympathy of the community.
The people of this community were pained to receive the san intelligence last week that Grandma Delong had passed away at the home of her son, in Bemidji. The remains were shipped ot Akron, Ohio, for burial. Grandma had resided among us for a number of years and all had learned to love her for kind actions and beautiful life. The community sorrows with her relatives.
Indian Lake.
Philathea met with their president Miss Esther Peterson last Tuesday evening.
Chas. Nyberg had the misfortune to loose a fine three year old colt last week.
Miss Alma Larson of Bigelow township spent several days last week with Mrs. C.R. Saxon.
Mrs. Frank Blixt and Mrs. A. Holm enjoyed a weeks visit from their mother, Mrs. H. Nystrom of Bigelow township.
Chas. Levestedt and Andrew Nelson left last Thursday for their home at Ackley, Ia., after enjoying a three weeks visit among their old time friends. They were once prosperous and enterprising citizens of our town and see a great change in the welfare of the neighborhood since they were residents here.
Miss Esther Blomgren who has been assisting at the Nordquist household the past month left for her home in Bigelow township last Thursday.
Gust Larson who recently passed the two hundred pound mark and now classed among the heavy weights, left last Tuesday for an extended visit with friends and relatives in Hersey township.
Rev. Donahue S.S. missionary for the Presbyterian church, visited, and assisted the Rev. D.P. Frosscup of this place in revival services at Dundee this week.
M. Harding of Dellivan, Minn., is visiting his brother, Ed. Harding of this place this week.
Emery Hallamack made a business trip to Fulda on Monday.
Mrs. Roy Mead was calling on friends in the village Tuesday.
F.E. Nelson was marketing a car of pop corn at the Skewis Grain Co's elevator, Tuesday.
From the Signal:
F.L. Lane has resigned his position as village marshall last Thursday. F.L. Has held this position for the past four years and has been a faithful officer endeavoring at all times to preserve the peace and has made the best marshall the town has ever employed.
Michael Hand now wears the star of the village marshall having been employed by the council upon the resignation of Mr. Lane.
Cards are out announcing the approaching marriage of Miss Mae Green to Mr. John Hortsmann [Horstmann?]. The ceremony is to be performed at the home of the brides parents, Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Green, at high noon on Wednesday February 13th.
From the Tribune:
F.D. Wells has bought the Leon Morris residence and will move his family into it March 1st. A.L. Wells has bought the place now occupied by his brother, and will move about the same time. The place now occupied by Mr. Wells will not be left vacant, but we are not at liberty to mention the names of the parties who have leased it.
From the News:
Sheriff Fauskee has appointed Martin Finnerty as his deputy of this section of the county, Mr. Finerty has proved a useful member of the sheriff's force and his retention in the service is a reward for his faithful work of the past two years. The appointment holds good during the sheriff's term of office, two years.
John Flynn returned this morning from Washington, D.C., where he has been for several weeks in the interest of several private pension bills. John reports that "Teddy" and the rest of the folks are all well and send their best regards to all their friends.
From the Democrat:
The Ladies Aid Society of the M.E. church gave Mrs. F.A. Zehringer a very pleasant surprise Wednesday evening, the occasion being her birthday. The ladies took with them plenty of good things to eat, and all spent a most delightful evening.
Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Myius, who have been visiting in Europe since last August returned to Adrian Thursday and will be here for a short time. They spent a good portion of the time they were abroad in England, but traveled considerably in France, Italy and Switzerland.
James Fox has bought W.H. Brown's residence property in Adrian, but Mr. Brown will continue to occupy it until some time in June, when he will move to North Dakota, where he has taken up a claim. The deal was made last Friday.
The club was entertained last Saturday evening at the home of Mr. and Mrs. A.J. Schaeffer.
Local News.
C.P. Taylor of Reading was a caller last Friday.
John F. Flynn has returned from his trip to Washington.
Christ Broich of Wilmont was a guest at the Worthington Sunday.
A.L. Wells, the Brewster telephone magnate, was in the city Monday.
Mr. and Mrs. Ben Voss of Elk were in the city Monday on a shopping trip.
I. Kitchner of Estherville, Ia., stopped off here on his way to Jasper.
Mrs. Steffens visited her sister, Mrs. John Salstrom of Bigelow Wednesday.
Banker Edwin Brickson of Adrian was a business visitor at the county seat Tuesday.
Miss Mary Damon came over from Adrian Saturday and remained over Sunday.
C.W. Johnson of Bigelow township, was in town Monday last transacting business.
Mrs. Henry Apel returned last Tuesday from Oklahoma, where she spent several months.
A.M. Renner, the genial manager of the Western Implement Co., made a business trip to Heron Lake Wednesday.
Mrs. Harry Hobson, who is taking treatment at Rochester, is progressing very favorably, Mr. Hobson is still with her and they are expected home about Feb. 10th.
Andrus Tobiason, an old soldier of Windom, came down the first of the week to be examined with the view of being admitted to the state soldiers' home.
Mr. and Mrs. C.T. Tupper and daughter, Miss Mae, went to Rock Rapids Tuesday to attend the wedding of a daughter of Mr. E.L. Partch, an old friends of the family.
Mrs. T.C. Ely, who had spent several months here with her daughter, Mrs. G.A. Fairfield, left on Tuesday for Denver, Col., where she will spend some time at the home of a son.
Mr. G. Olson and bride of Round Lake, passed through here on Tuesday on their way home from their honeymoon. Mr. Olson is a prominent implement dealer at Round Lake.
Charlie Smith of Ransom township, was arrested last Saturday on a charge of assault and battery. He was given a hearing before Judge C.W.W. Dow and plead guilty and on promise to leave the state was let off with a fine of $15 and costs.
Loren Clark visited at Mankato over Sunday.
W.A. Cloud was in town Tuesday doing trading.
G.W. Patterson made business trip to Sioux City Monday.
Henry James was on the sick list a number of days this week.
Mildred Harding was on the sick list a number of days this week.
John James has been under the weather a number of days this week.
G.C. Fellows of Elk transacted business in Worthington last Friday.
G.W. Gale of Worthington township was a caller at this office last Friday.
A. Lambert, a progressive dairy man of Elk township, transacted business in Worthington Tuesday.
The family of Clarence James of Dewald have been on the sick list the past week, being victims of the grip.
J.H. Maxwell yesterday received a telegram announcing the death of a grand daughter, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. M.I. Maxwell, of Ballard, Wash. The body will be brought to Worthington for burial.
H.F. Smith of Larimore, S.D., is here on a visit at the home of A.P. Darling. Mr. Smith was a pioneer settler of Nobles county and has many friends here are glad to greet him once more.
Geo. Goodrich of Worthington township was a caller at this office Monday and made the editor glad in a substantial way. Mr. Goodrich is one of Nobles county's progressive farmers and a breeder of thoroughbred stock. He has a fine herd of short horn cattle, Poland China hogs, Shropshire sheep and a flock of white Plymouth Rock poultry.
Wm. Malcolm left on Monday night for Parker, S.D., to attend a sale of Duroc Jersey swine. Mr. Malcolm is himself one of the most successful breeders of this class of hogs, and he never misses an opportunity to add choice new blood to his herd.
Mrs. M.J. Barber has been quite sick this week.
Mrs. J.W. Baker is reported on the sick list this week.
Mrs. J.P. Biltgen visited at Bigelow the first of the week.
Oscar Olson has accepted a position as driver for Dr. Ray Humiston.
R.C. Free of Elk township was in the city yesterday transacting business.
N. Christianson and wife, of Round Lake, were guests at the Western hotel Tuesday.
Ex-Register of Deeds H. Hawley is now located at St. Paul where he has a lucrative position on the Pioneer Press.
Miss Edith Shanks came home last week to attend the teachers' examinations, returning to her school work near Magnolia on Monday afternoon.
Rev. and Mrs. J.E. Evans and Mr. and Mrs. J.P. Loveless and Mrs. Alma Peterson attended the Johnson-Bjornstad wedding at Org Wednesday evening.
Mr. and Mrs. J.M. Addington returned last Saturday from Illinois, where they were called some weeks ago by the sudden death of Mrs. Addington's father.
A pleasant gathering was held at the home of Mr. and Mrs. John Sliver, living south of town, Tuesday evening, it being Mr. Sliver's birthday. About thirty guests were present and enjoyed a delightful evening.
Miss Sarah Downs of Ransom attended the teachers' examinations last week, returned home Saturday.
R. Prideaux and daughter Clara went to Adrian Tuesday to attend the funeral of Mrs. Hopkins, formerly Miss Mollie Prideaux.
Miss Amnda [Amanda?] Anderson has been sick at home since the holidays with nervous exhaustion and overstrain. She was doing very nicely until an attack of laryngitis caused relapse. Miss Anderson was formerly one of the nurses at the Worthington hospital, but has now severed her connection with that institution.

Friday, February 15, 1907

Mr. Frank Glasgow and Miss M.J. Fahy were quietly married last Monday forenoon at the home of the groom on fifth avenue, Rev. Father Sherman of the Roman Catholic church officiating.
The ceremony was performed in the presence of a few intimate friends. Mr. and Mrs. Glasgow left on the afternoon train for a short wedding trip.
Mr. Glasgow is one of the substantial men of the city, being one of the directors of the Citizens National Bank, and is heavily interested in real estate. He has for many years held the responsible position of bridge superintend with the Omaha railway, his territory extending from St. James to Sioux City. He is a gentleman of many fine qualities and is held in high esteem by all who know him.
The bride has for some years been the proprietor of Worthington's most popular millinery establishment, and has gained a wide circle of friends and admirers. The Advance joins the many friends of the contracting parties in extending congratulations.
Died, in Worthington, Nobles County, Minnesota, Feb. 4th, 1907, of LaGrippe, Mrs. Elizabeth A. Smith, widow of the late C.H. Smith. She was born in Montgomery, New York, Sept. 29th, 1836 and was the daughter of Morris and Mary (Snell) Freeman. On the 8th of March 1857, she was married to Mr. C.H. Smith of Richland Center, Wis. One daughter was born to them, Grace E. They also adopted two children, Lillie J., now Mrs. J.H. Kennedy of Los Angeles, California, and Bessie B., now Mrs. Fried of New York City. Mr. and Mrs. Smith came to Worthington June 1st, 1881, where they made their home until 1891, when they removed to St. Paul, Mr. Smith having been assigned a position as State Insurance Commissioner, which office he retained until his death.
Mrs. Smith with her daughter then removed to Richland Center, Wis., that she might be near her kindred. In 1898, they returned to Worthington, and have since resided here. Mrs. Smith was a person of good Christian character, won friends, sympathetic and affectionate by nature and an earnest worker in the church and society of which she was a member. In later years, however, she was restricted by feeble health, from participating in many of the enjoyments of Christian life. While we deeply mourn her loss, can we not feel that she will receive in that Heavenly home, the crown of rightenous [sic], which the Lord bestowes upon those who have his approval. The funeral was held at the family residence February 7th. Interment in Worthington.
Mrs. Earl T. Hopkins, Ill a Day, Dies at Rushmore.
Mr. [Mrs.] Earl T. Hopkins, of Adrian, died at the home of her sister, Mrs. W.E. James, a few minutes after 5 o'clock, Monday morning, February 4th, 1907, after an illness of about twenty-eight hours. Mr. and Mrs. Hopkins had gone to Rushmore Saturday to remain until Monday. About midnight Saturday she was seized with a violent vomiting spell, but, after a physician had attended her, she recovered somewhat and did not appear to be seriously ill. About one o'clock Monday morning she was again taken with an attack similar to that she had sustained before. The physician was again summoned, but even then there was apparently nothing alarming in her condition. Soon afterward, however, she became unconscious and remained so until death ensued. The cause is attributed to the bursting of a blood vessel.
The body was brought to the home of her mother, Mrs. W.H. Prideaux, in Adrian, Monday forenoon, and from here the funeral was held Wednesday afternoon, Rev. Gillis, of Rushmore, assisted by Rev. Hancock, of Adrian conducting the services. The eastern Star and Royal Neighbors participated in the obsequies. The floral tributes form lodges and individuals were profuse and beautiful.
Mary Gertrude Prideaux was born in Dodgeville, Wisconsin, February 17, 1881, and come to Adrian with her parents in March 1883. She was married, July 26th, 1906, to Earl T. Hopkins, of Bedford, Iowa.
She had not enjoyed the best of health for several years, but was never unable to go about the ordinary duties of life.
Death came in a sudden and tragic manner and it is a singular coincidence that she died in the same house in which she so recently married.
A mother, husband, five sisters and four brothers are left to mourn her departure. She was beloved by all both old and young. She was a dutiful and loving daughter and sister and an affectionate wife. A large circle of friends and neighbors will also miss her bright and winsome personality. --Adrian Democrat.
Death of L.B. Bennett
Death ended the suffering of our friends and townsman, L.B. Bennett on Friday morning, Feb. 1st., afflicted for many years with asthma and other lung trouble.
Lucian Bonaparte Bennett was born July the 16th, 1837 at Scropple, Oswego Co. New York. He emigrated to Wisconsin in 1859. In 1861, soon after the fall of Sumter, he enlisted as a private in Co. I, fourth Wisconsin Infantry serving during the war. He was taken prisoner in Louisiana, while doing service as a scout, and to his sufferings and exposure in miasmatic climate the disease which finally caused his death was due.
Mr. Bennett was one of the earliest pioneers of Worthington, Minnesota, residing at that place until he came to Pillager in the fall of 1900.
While a resident of Worthington, he occupied many positions of trust filling the office of clerk of court, justice of the peace, etc. During the administration of President Cleveland he served as postmaster at that place.
Mr. Bennett was a member of the G.A.R. and also a Free Mason of many years standing.
Of his character, none but those with whom he was intimately connected can form a correct estimate. Few men could compare with him in a high sense of honor, in purity os mind and in kindness of heart.
He leaves a wife, too [two?] sons, two daughters, Mrs. Grace Lohf of this place and Mrs. Jessie Bailey of Cooperstown, N.D., as his immediate family, to sorrow for his loss. He has also two brothers living, Messrs. Leanander Bennett of St. Paul, and Beny Bennett of Zion City. --Pillager Leader.
John Zimmermann died at his home in this city Sunday, Feb. 10th, the funeral was held on Tuesday from the German Evangelical church, Rev. G.G. Schmidt officiating. The deceased was 47 years old. He leaves five brothers and two sisters. Two of his brothers, Sam and Dave, came down from Raymond, Minn., to attend the funeral. One of his sisters, Mrs. David Bergstresser, of Jasper, was also present.
Miss Emily Lavine came up from Worthington Monday.
Jack Riley of Wilmont was looking after the stock business in this locality Monday.
Frank Baker transacted business at the county hub Tuesday.
Earnest Wassmund has invested in a brand new top buggy. Baird & Bulick were the sellers.
Wilmer Conklin drove to the county seat Tuesday.
Chas. Burns is now employed in the hardware emprorium of Baird & Bulick.
On Saturday, F.A. Durfee loaded a car of sheep and a car of fat cattle for the Chicago market. J.A. Good also shipped two cars of stock of his __n feeding for the same market. Both gentlemen accompanied their __signments.
Mrs. F.A. Durfee left Saturday for a visit with relatives at Sheldon, Iowa.
A.R. Beilke completed the filling __ his ice house the past week and is __ain ready to supply his patrons __h congealed water during the ___ed months.
H.C. Constable departed Monday ___ Goodland, Indiana, where he will ___ gone for the next two weeks. ___ his return he expects to bring __rs. Constable and Earnest who __ve been there for the winter.
Geo. Innes expects to move his family to Minneapolis this week.
Geo. Slade and Uncle Joe Poots of Adrian were Rushmore visitors Tuesday.
Bert Ehrisman and wife returned Friday from Sloan where they have been visiting the past two weeks. On Monday they again went to Minneapolis where Mrs. Ehrisman expects [to] take treatment.
H.J. Ludlow of Worthington visited in Rushmore Sunday.
On Tuesday Chas. Andrews made deal whereby he disposes of his drug stock -- wall paper paints etc. to W.E. Roberts of Wilmar, S.D. Mr. Roberts had not decided as yet whether he will move his family to Rushmore or not.
Mr. and Mrs. J.C. Thom departed Tuesday for Owattona where they will visit for a time. Before returning they will go to Iowa and call upon their son Harry who is at the State Farm School in charge of the blacksmith department.
Route One.
Frank Smith has finished hauling hay.
Frank Williams sold his steers last week.
Mr. Halan is now moving to Ransom.
From the Signal:
Nels Scott and family departed on Tuesday afternoon for Sanborn, Iowa, where they will visit a few days with Mrs. Scott's relatives. They will go from that point direct to Portalis, N.M., where they will take up their residence on the claim that Nels. recently entered.
H.L. Glick, who has been spending the past few weeks in the south for his health, returned to the home of his parents on last Thursday night. His health is greatly benefited by his vacation.
Michael Hand had charge of the lumber yard during the absence of the manager of the company, J.A. Fialka who was in Sioux City.
Miss Margaret Bird visited with friends in Worthington Saturday and Sunday.
From the Tribune:
Miss Maggie McCarvel arrived home Wednesday from Minneapolis, where she spent a week with her sister, Mrs. Costello.
Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Moffatt left here last Saturday for Beaver Creek and Sioux Falls to visit relatives and friends for [a] few weeks. They will not return to Brewster, but will continue on their way to their home at Davenport, Washington.
Robert Erickson bought the Brewster Livery and Dray Line this week from Chas. Harthun and the business will be placed in charge of Ed. Olson. In the deal Mr. Harthun gets the Ponto 80, north of town. For the present he will remain and assist in the work at the barn.
Otto Berreau, who had been visiting here for a week or more, returned Tuesday to his home at Currie.
From the Democrat:
Mrs. Margaret Penbroke [Pembroke?], one of the early settlers of Nobles county, died of pneumonia, at her home in Adrian, Sunday morning, February 3rd aged 73 years, 6 months and 21 days. She was ill only a week.
Mr. Thomas King, son of Mr. and Mrs. Patrick King and Miss Eva McCann, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. M.M. McCann, were married in St. Anthony's church at Lismore, Wednesday morning, February 6th, by Rev. Fr. Graeve.
Clayton Cooper, who graduates from the Law Department of the State University next June, was the victor in a hard fought legal battle waged over a case recently tried for the benefit of the students. The victory is a great honor to Clayton as the student who opposed him in the trial is considered one of the brightest in the Law Department.
Round Lake.
From the Graphic:
Mrs. M.V. Freeman has sold her residence property to E.D. Tripp, and, we are informed, she intends to remove to her former home in Maiden Rock, Wisconsin, after March 1.
Miss Florence Barber, of Worthington, visited in Round Lake over Sunday.
H.R. Tripp was down from the county seat Saturday afternoon. He reports business as fair in the register of deed's office.
Ernest Carlson is on the sick list with a mild attack of scarlet fever and was quarantined by Dr. Weidow Monday.
From the Enterprise:
Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Innes were at Minneapolis the past week arranging for their removal to that city some time during the present month.
Assistant Cashier Thom, of the First National Bank, has been confined to the house several days the past week with a attack of rheumatism.
Milton Ludlow was here from Worthington over Sunday visiting with J.B. Ludlow and family.
Mr. and Mrs. Matt Jensen went over to Luverne Friday, where Mrs. Jensen entered the Spaulding hospital and was operated upon for appendicitis.
Mrs. A. Shaefer went up to St. Paul Tuesday. Mr. Shaefer assumed his new duties as public examiner the first of February and they are preparing to move to St. Paul  the early part of the summer.
Capt. Schaeffer Resigns
On assuming his duties as Public Examiner, Capt. A. Schaeffer resigned his commission as Captain of Co. F of this city. While he was unable to be present at many of the meetings Capt. Schaeffer by careful supervision brought his company up to a high standard of efficiency and his company will be sorry to loose him. However much of the high standard attained is due to 1st Lieut. S.S. Smith, who is now in line for deserved promotion to the captaincy.
Mr. and Mrs. R.P. Dorgan are spending a few days in the south.
Born -- On Sunday, Feb. 11, 1907, to Theo. Mitchell and wife, a son.
W.E. Roberts of Wilmont was registered at the Western house Monday.
S.M. Stewart left last Monday morning on business trip to North Dakota.
C.W. Davis, the Ashton, Ia., creamery man, was in the city on business Monday.
Mrs. John Meyers of Round Lake was a guest at the home of A.M. Gregerson on Wednesday.
P.R. Long, a prominent farmer of Reading transacted business at the county seat Tuesday.
Mrs. J.M. Cooley, of St. Paul, is here on a visit at the home of her sister, Mrs. A.M. Gregerson.
Miss Nettie Fitch left Wednesday for Laramie, Wyoming, where she will make her future home.
W.S. Gordon, a prominent farmer of Brewster transacted business at the county capital today and made this office a call.
Wm. Oxford of Seward township was in the city yesterday. Mr. Oxford recently returned from a visit at his old home in Indiana.
Miss Harriet E. Owen died at the home of her sister, Mrs. S.F. Pepple, this morning after a lingering illness aged 69 years. It is intended to hold the funeral Sunday afternoon from the M.E. church, Rev. Cahoon to officiate. Miss Owen had made her home here with her sister the past three and a half years. She leaves besides this sister, two brothers.
I.T. Branigan, of Edna, Ia., was in the city a couple of days this week visiting and looking after business matters.
Ed Moberg of Bigelow township was in the city last Friday.
J. Reinken and wife of Reading were in the city last Friday doing trading.
G.W. Patterson was at Luverne the first of the week attending a farmers' institute.
S. Kall, the efficient janitor at the court house, who had been laid up a couple of weeks with rheumatism, resumed his work on Tuesday.
Geo. Butcher, of Iona, passed through town Monday on his way to the twin cities. Mr. Butcher says he expects to move to Worthington in the spring.
Gust Rudquist of Indian Lake left last Friday for a visit in the twin cities, Duluth and Ashland. He will look for work after he gets through with his visit.
G.W. Tupper returned last Sunday from Cherokee, Ia., where he spent several months working in a bank. After a couple of days rest he assumed his new position as assistant cashier in the Citizens National bank.
Mrs. M. Levine was called to Watertown, S.D., yesterday by a telegram announcing the serious illness of her daughter, Mrs. W.C. Butcher, who was very low with quick consumption. Word has since been received that Mrs. Butcher was dead.
Chas. Loafstad and Andrew Nelson returned to their home in Ackley, last Friday after a visit of several weeks with relatives and friends in Indian Lake and Bigelow.
Sterling Lawton last Saturday evening entertained a party of young people in honor of his friend and guest, Frank Kaynor, a former Worthington boy who had stopped off here, on his way to Seattle, Wash., to visit old friends. A very pleasant time was had by all present at the party.
Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Cole of Brewster were guests at the home of M.E. Fish last Sunday.
A.M. Gregerson has been appointed local agent for the Western Land Co., which deals extensively in North Dakota lands.
Nels Larson of Ewington township, Jackson county, an interested reader of the Advance, made this office a pleasant call last Friday.
H.C. Constable, one of the leading merchants at Rushmore, passed through town Tuesday on his way to Illinois to join his family, which is visiting there.
E.J. Thoren of Bigelow township left last Thursday for Minneapolis where he will spend some weeks. He will also visit at other points in the state.

Friday, February 22, 1907

February Term Convened on Monday Afternoon By Judge Brown
Only Twenty-four Civil Cases on the Calendar. The Poppens Indicted.
The February term of the district court for Nobles county was opened last Monday afternoon by Judge P.E. Brown. The calendar for the term is a short one, there being only 24 civil cases.
The criminal calendar included four cases against D.J. Gronewold, the Bigelow saloon keeper. On Monday the grand jury returned an indictment against Louis Moe, charging him with grand larceny in the second degree. He will plead guilty. The grand jury concluded its labors yesterday. It returned three indictments against Sievert and Herman Poppen, one charging grand larceny in the first degree and two charging grand larceny in the second degree. The Poppens are credited with having stolen a horse, sold it, then stolen it again and destroyed it, in order to hide the first crime.
The following is a list of cases, with disposition made of each, up to the time of going to press:
Ben Voss vs Sievert Poppen.
Industrial Chem. Co. visitors Consumers Brewery Co. Judgment for plaintiff.
Bentley and Olmsted Co. vs Keedick Zager. Continued.
Wm. Benning vs Wm. F. Reickhoff. Continued.
Blelle [sic] M. Matteson vs Hr. [sic] Miller. Continued.
Joseph Hinrichs vs Charles Rawly. Continued.
Jas. Burke, et al, vs Thomas Hagan.
Jas. F. Cox vs Fred Kiesling.
Mark Graves vs John F. O'Connor.
Elizabeth Cunningham vs Loraine Township. Settled.
C.R. West vs Hersey Township. Settled.
Elizabeth Cunningham vs Hersey Township. Settled.
Philip Kraft vs Hersy Township. Settled.
Barney Theirs et al, vs Andrew Peters.
James Shirley, Admr., vs C. Kaibak. Settled.
J.N. Webster vs N. Austin. On trial.
S.M. Stewart vs Chas. F. Martin.
Schaltes Bros, vs John Lebens, et al. Judgment for plaintiff.
Luella Schultz vs Degree of Honor, A.O.U.W. Lodge.
J.B. Scheier vs Peter Meyer, et al.
State of Minnesota vs Joseph Smith.
J.I. Case Threshing Machine Co. vs Fred Ehlers.
Henry Kunze vs Board of County Commissioners.
Village of Worthington vs Blanch L. Matteson.
Married at Laramie
At Laramie, Wyoming, on Saturday, Feb. 16th, occurred the marriage of Miss Nettie Fitch to Mr. Fred North, Rev. Pierce of the M.E. church officiating. Mr. North was formerly a conductor on the Omaha line here, running between this place and Mitchell. He is employed as a switchman in the U.P. yards at Laramie. Miss Fitch is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Fitch of this city. She was for some years employed as Simplex operator in the Advance office and is a young lady of may excellent qualities. The Advance joins the friends of the contracting parties in extending congratulations.
February Weddings
The home of Mr. and Mrs. Stanton was the scene of a happy and auspicious event on Wednesday afternoon when Miss Lillian Webb, a daughter of Mrs. was married to Mr. Morril Ramage. The ceremony was performed by the Rev. C.R. TenBroeck of St. John's church, and was witnessed by a company of relatives and friends. The contracting parties are two of Worthington's most worthy young people, and have a wide circle of friends whom the Advance joins in congratulations.
Mr. Ramage has rented a farm in Ransom township and they went to housekeeping there at once.
Geo. Voak, prominent young business man of Brewster, and a member of the firm of Stewart & Voak, lumbermen, was married on Wednesday to Miss Leafy Johnson, a prominent and popular young lady of that place. The groom is the son of Mr. and Mrs. .V. Voak of this city, and is one of Nobles county's promising young men.
The pleasant farm residence of Oluf Langseth of Indian Lake was the scene of a pretty wedding on Wednesday of this week, when his daughter Susie E. was married to Mr. ra P. Huggins. A large company of relatives and friends were present and the ceremony was performed by Rev. Oberg and was followed by elaborate and very enjoyable festivities.
Misses Goldie Dring and Ella Langseth attended the bride, and Mr. Lonnie Langseth and Mr. Crawford Turner the groom. The bride received a fine collection of presents.
Mr. and Mrs. Huggins will visit in Indian Lake until about March 1st, when they will move to Linden, Ia., where the groom has a farm, on which they will make their home.
Miss Edith Morgan youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Morgan of this city and Mr. Frank Willardson of Osceola county, Iowa, were united in marriage by Rev. G.A. Cahoon, Wednesday evening at seven o'clock at the family residence on sixth avenue. A number of guests from out out [sic] town were present. The bride was handsomely attired in a gown of blue nuns-veiling trimmed with all-over lace. Miss Wheeler played the wedding march and Miss Willardson was bride's maid. The best man to the groom was Mr. Alfred Willardson. A bonteous [sic] wedding supper was served. Many useful and beautiful gifts were presented the happy couple. Mr. and Mrs. Willardson will reside three miles southeast of Round Lake.
W.L.O. Bartlet, the cigar maker, and W.J. Kunz, the pop manufacturer, made a business trip to Luverne and Lismore the first of the week.
Mr. and Mrs. Floyd Newell and daughter surprised the Bryden family by dropping in on them from Baraboo, Wis. Wednesday. Mrs. Newell was formerly Miss Jessie Bryden.
Mrs. A. Schaeffer and son Harry returned Monday from St. Paul where they have been with Mr. Schaeffer the past two weeks. They expect to move there permanently later.
Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Hamstreet and a daughter Gladys returned from a five days visit in the twin cities Monday. They report an excellent time. While there Mr. Hamstreet took in the Editorial Association and called at the Capitol.
Parties have rented the building formerly occupied by the Rushmore Mercantile Co. and expect to move in a stock of goods next week. Thos. Prideaux expects to move with his stock to the building occupied by E.G. Edwards.
Mr. Jens K. Jensen expects to move to Rushmore March 1. He has note decided as yet what he will do.
Miss Laeta Tower who has been teaching in the Thom District north of town was compelled to give up her school Friday and leaves this week for Nevada to join her parents, Mrs. Tower being in poor health.
Ed. Nelson left Tuesday for Idaho where he expects to take up a 40 acre tract of land under the new government Irrigation act. If satisfied he will plan to move his family to that territory.
From the Tribune:
Mr. P.D. VanHorsen returned the last part of last week from Chicago, where he went with four car loads of cattle some three weeks ago. On his return he visited at DesMoines, Pella, Desota and other point in Iowa. Mr. VanHorsen is one of Nobles county's leading stock raisers and always markets the choicest stock.
Dan Chute has begun work on his new house on main street. G.W. Baker has the contract for the construction of the building, which insures Mr. Chute a first class job.
Berkhimer Bros. made an important move in real estate the past week. They sold the William Schinkel farm of 320 acres in Dewald township to James Montgomery, of this city, for $14,000, in which deal the Montgomery residence is transferred Mr. Schinkel at a cash value of $5000. The only regretable feature of the deal is that as a result of the transaction Wilmont will soon lose one of her substantial business men, and society, one of its interesting families, as Mr. Montgomery expects to move to the county seat.
From the Tribune:
John R. Bine and family will leave Brewster and take up their residence in Sioux Falls next week, having purchased a desirable residence property there. Mr. Blue, who is an old timer in the grain business, will have charge of the St. John elevator in that city.
Beginning sometime next week Ed. Olson will be the sole proprietor of the Brewster Livery and Dray line, as Mr. Erickson expects to dispose of the interest he now holds in the business.
Mrs. J.L. McKonkey returned home this week from Revillo, S.D. where she had been to assist in the care of her mother during the latter's illness. Mrs. McKonkey reports the birth of a son to Mr. and Mrs. Paul Kruemling, the event having taken place about two weeks ago.
Mrs. T.K. Olson arrived home last Saturday from Wahpeton, N.D., where she had been visiting her daughter and other relatives for about two months.
From the News:
Mesdames B.H. Basing and James Maher were at Rock Rapids between trains last Monday, in attendance at the funeral of the late John Whitney.
W. Wirzbach, who has been running a restaurant at Key West, Florida, for a year past, returned to Ellsworth Tuesday. He is considerably bronzed from the tropical sun but reports a very enjoyable stay in the south land.
Camp Voss, a farm hand, was run over and killed by a Rock Island freight last Sunday night.
From the Leader.
The M.W.A. goat is busy adding quite a number of new members to that lodge. Those given the secrets of Woodcraft at the last meeting are Herman J. Lebens, Harry O. Falkins and Clarence Kirkeby.
Mrs. Arthur Hensley has enjoyed a visit from a cousin, Richard Wilson. He came very unexpected, and therefore it was quite a surprise to her as she had not seen him in 28 years. He left for his home at Chadron, Neb., Monday, Mr. and Mrs. H. going as far as Worthington with him.
Miss Pank entertained a few of her friends at cards last Saturday evening.
Round Lake.
From the Graphic.
A farewell party was enjoyed at the home of T.H. Hugoboom, west of town last Friday night, quite a number from town being present. Mr. Hugoboom and family expect to move onto a farm belonging to G.M. Walker, about 1 mile west of Wilmont.
John Kindstrom chopped off the first finger of his left hand Tuesday evening while splitting kindling wood. Fortunately Dr. Wiedow was in town to dress the wound, and yesterday he was up to the county seat to receive further medical treatment. It is possible that the finger will be saved, altho the bone was severed.
The little daughter of F.E. Williams is slowly improving.
Geo. Hacker has a telephone.
Anna Kampen began work last Friday for Mrs. F.H. Lyons.
I.J. Filbruns entertained company from Worthington township last Sunday.
Miss Daisy Vail is again teaching in district No. 6, after an illness of three weeks.
Ralph Eikenberry will move on the John Nelson farm this week.
John, son of D.J. Andersen has been unable to attend school for sometime.
Last Sunday morning J.I. Diehl of Reading delivered his farewell discourse at the Brethren church, using as a text Luke 9:62.
Last Friday evening a number of young folk assembled at the home of J.N. Kimmel where a pleasant time was had. The occasion was a surprise in honor of Lloyd's twenty first birthday.
Mr. Alfred Anscomb has been on the sick list for about two weeks but is on the mend now.
Mr. M. Harding has returned to his home at Dellavan, Minn., after having made his brother, Mr. Ed. Harding a good visit.
Messrs. Harding and Burgeson went to Worthington Monday to serve on the jury at this term of district court.
Mr. Weinandt of the Worthington Herald made a business trip to Kinbrae Tuesday.
The Ladies Aid of the Methodist church met with Mrs. G.C. Winchel Friday afternoon.
Rev. Donahue who has been assisting Rev. Grosscup in revival services at Dundee, departed for Mankato Monday.
Mrs. G.C. Winchell and Master Clark went to Fulda Saturday.
Mr. John Coffit's sisters visited Mr. and Mrs. Coffit last week.
Mr. J. Kunetrh [sic] made a business trip to the county seat Wednesday.
Mrs. C.W. and Miss Violet Davis were shopping in Fulda Wednesday.
Mr. John Nimmerfroh pulled his threshing rig in Wednesday, he having finished his last job of threshing a few days ago.
W.H. Baker is attending court in the capacity of juror.
F.A. Durfee, wife and daughter returned from Iowa Tuesday.
Mrs. Jas. Baird was a Worthington visitor Tuesday.
John Eggleston has been suffering from an attack of rheumatism.
J.I. Diehl and family have vacated the house of H.H. Read and expect to leave this section soon. Just where they will locate is uncertain. They expect to spend some time with relatives in Iowa. By their departure this community loses one of its best families.
Miss Lulu Baker is slowly recovering from a sick spell. She has been under the care of Dr. Humiston. The cause of the illness was inflamatory rheumatism. Her many friends are pleased to hear of her recovery.
L.G. Upphoff was a county seat visitor Tuesday.
H.L. Strickler, of Appleton, this state, has been circulating among friends in this section the past week. He is still interested in town property here and has been combining business with pleasure.
Mrs. L.G. Uphoff has been seriously ill this week.
John Whelan and Fred Mohr departed Tuesday for an extended trip in Kansas, Texas and New Mexico. The former is looking for a location.

Henry Schinkel and wife returned the fore part of the week from a trip to the northern part of the state.

Rev. D. Gibb, of Rushmore was a caller in this village Tuesday.
The Ladies Aid society met to do some sewing for Mrs. L.G. Hess, Friday of last week. The society meets at the home of Mrs. D. Hulser, this week.
F.W. Hulser and family of Sutherland, are visiting with relatives north of town. They drove through and report very bad roads.
Word has been received here that Nelson Scott has reached his destination, in New Mexico. No details. There is quite a rush of settlers to that section at present and the railroads are giving reduced rates to encourage the movement.
Thomas Eide, who [has] been attending school at Worthington, was at home on Sunday last.
Earl Guernsey and his sister Miss Santa Guernsey from Parker, S.D., are visiting here with relatives and friends. They are not strangers here as they have been here before, and had so good a time that they thought they would come again. They think Nobles county is a pretty good place, almost as good as Parker. Their friends are much pleased to see them.
A. Yeske, our Bigelow stock buyer one day last week paid out over $5,000 for hogs and cattle delivered to him at Bigelow on that day. These days more stock is shipped away from a little village like bgl than at one time were shipped from the whole county.
On Saturday the 16th, a number of the friends of Mr. and Mrs. Carper called on them and spent a very pleasant day with them. It was the 25th anniversary of their wedding; a very fitting time for their friends to call on them. Mr. and Mrs. Carper came here about a year ago and in that time they have made many warm friends who are pleased to show them esteem.
Elk Center
Mrs. Mark Eshleman entertained the Mission Band on Thursday of last week about thirty were present they will meet with Mrs. Paul Schulz Thursday March 1st. Everybody is invited to attend.
Mr. and Mrs. O. Slifer are rejoicing over the arrival of a 13 1/4 pound boy. Miss May Kimmel is staying with them.
J.P. Schechter spent Sunday at Edgerton.
Miss Vail came out to take up her school work Monday after a three week's illness.
Ralph Eikenberry is moving this week from the "Eikenberry Home" place, on the old John Nelson farm which he has rented for several years. Mr. Ramey from Barnum, will move on the farm vacated by Mr. Eikenberry, which he purchased last year.
Roscoe Eshleman wife and son are visiting with A.F. Eshleman and family.
About thirty young people from this vicinity were entertained at the Kimmel home on Friday evening of last week, the party was given in honor of Lloyd's twenty-first birthday. Games were played refreshments served, after which the guests departed, all reporting a good time.
Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Erickson gave a surprise party in honor of Messrs Carl Swanson and John Erickson Wednesday evening February 20. About thirty young people were present and all enjoyed a very pleasant time, it proved to be a complete surprise to the two young gentlemen.
J.I. Deihl and family left on Wednesday for central Iowa to visit relatives and friends.
E.D. Tripp of Round Lake was in the city on business Tuesday.
Mrs. John Good of Reading was in the city Wednesday on shopping trip.
F.C. Stitser left on Tuesday for St. Paul to attend the Grand Lodge of the United Workmen.
W.E. Larimoure of Dewald township was on the sick list first of the week.
Elegant, house to let, well situated and good neighborhood. Enquire of E.B. Paul.
Dr. Henry Wiedow made a professional trip to Lake Park on Thursday of last week.
C.P. Taylor was down from Reading this week attending court as a witness in the Poppen case.
John Whelan and Fred Mohr of Reading took the train here Tuesday for Texas, to look over that country.
Albert Amundson has arranged to open a restaurant in the Workan building, next to Clark's shoe store, about the first of March.
The last number of the entertainment course is a lecture by Dr. Gunsaulus, which will be given March 4th. Seats will be on sale Feb. 28th.
At the farmers' institute, next week, Dr. J.N. Gould will make a display of healthy and diseased animal tissues in the course of his lecture on the "Detection of Unsoundness in Horses."
F.C. Stitser returned last week from his trip to the Southwest. He visited Texas, Arizona and old Mexico and says he found some fine country and a great deal that was not fit for a white man to live in. He has not yet decided on his future plans.
Mr. and Mrs. H.S. Hobson returned home Wednesday from Rochester. Mrs. Hobson is improving rapidly from her recent illness which was not appendicitis, as the Advance was erroneously informed.
Peter Berg has disposed of his personal property and left on Thursday for California, where he will make his future home. Mrs. Berg and daughter Emma left for Chicago on Tuesday, where the latter will enter a school. Mrs. Berg will go from there to the old country for a visit. Later she will join Mr. Berg in California.
The funeral of Miss Harriet Owen was held from the Methodist church Sunday afternoon at 3 o'clock, conducted by Rev. G.A. Cahoon and Rev. J.E. Evans. The deceased was sixty nine years of age, the greater part of her life having been spent in Ohio, in ministration of others. For the past three and a half years she had resided in Worthington with her sister, Mrs. S.F. Pepple. Interment was made in the Worthington cemetery.

----End Transcription----

Microfilm, Worthington Advance; Minnesota Historical Society, St. Paul, MN; obtained March, 2008.

If you would like more information,
please contact Terri Mindock

The banner below has been added by the website host, and does not reflect any promotion by the author of these pages.