Search billions of records on
The banner above has been added by the website host, and does not reflect any promotion by the author of these pages.

Lane-Blood Genealogy
You are here:  Home  >  MN newspaper articles  >  transcription

Newspaper Articles
from Worthington Advance
 April, 1907

Use the EDIT > FIND function on your browser to search this page.
To search the rest of this site, go to the HOME page (link above)
and use the "Search this site" box.

Friday, April 5, 1907

John Wilson Stuck By Omaha Passenger Train No. 1 While Returning From Call On Sweetheart.
[NOTE: If you would like more info on this article, please email me (email at bottom)]
Albert Vogel and Miss Selma Johnson were married on Tuesday by Judge of Probate C.M. Cory.
W.A. Bone, of Clinton, Ill., a humorist of national fame, and who is said to be a second Bill Nye, was in the city a few hours Wednesday, and was a guest of Dr. Lanham while here.

Company F, Third Regiment, M.N.G.
The Advance is indebted to the Minneapolis Tribune for the use of above cut
and the following sketch of Co. F.
[NOTE: Additional Photos - including a better resolution of the photo above.]

Worthington, Minn., (Special.) -- Company F, Third Infantry, Minnesota National Guard of Worthington, which is shown in the accompanying engraving, was organized and mustered into the service of the state Nov. 28th, 1905, with officers as follows: A. Schaefer, captain; S.S. Smith, first lieutenant; Charles B. Ward, second lieutenant, and with 49 enlisted men. With this leadership as a nucleus the company has progressed so that on the practice march of the "hiking Third," in Goodhue county last July, Company F, with 66 men, proved to be one of the most, if not the most, efficient organizations on the ground.

Today Captain Schaefer is congratulated by the commanding officer of the regiment upon having the only full company of 76 men in the regiment. The company has a complete rifle range of 200 to 1000 yards inclusive, and at camp last year qualified three sharpshooters, two expert riflemen, Sergeant Dodge and Robert Smith, and one distinguished rifleman, Lieut. S.S. Smith.
Capt. Schaefer was formerly captain of Company I, Second Infantry at Owatonna, and brought that company to a high state of efficiency. He has lately been appointed by Gov. Johnson to the important office of public examiner, and has tendered his resignation of the command of Company F on account of his necessary removal to St. Paul.
Lieut. S. Smith formerly served in Company F, First Infantry, Minneapolis, and on the non-commissioned staff of that regiment and has seen upwards of nine years service in the guard.
Lieut. C.B. Ward is a veteran of the Spanish and Filippino wars, having served therein with the First South Dakota, and was captain of Company A of that organization at Sioux Falls after its return to the state service.
The success and efficiency of this company has often correctly been attributed to the ability and effectiveness of its non-commissioned officers. They are:
Sergeants -- First, O.F. Blood; Second, Elmer H. Bassett; Third, Robert R. Smith; Fourth, Wilbur J. Dodge; Fifth, David Bear; Sixth, Charles Loveless, quartermaster.
Corporal -- First, J.M. Barron; Second, Henry Nelson; Third Othwaite Kumler; Fourth Guy M. Borst; Fifth Ernest Dewey; Sixth, Virgil Fellows.
Sergeant Blood served with Company E of the Fifty-Second Iowa during the Spanish war and is a veteran of the Iowa national guard. He is a model first sergeant.
Sergeant Bassett is a veteran of Company L Thirteenth Minnesota and served throughout the Spanish and Filippino campaigns with that famous regiment. His accurate information and broad experience have made him an invaluable element in the instruction of the men.
A peculiar and distinguishing character of Company F is the high average of men on its rolls. There are 15 men in the ranks that stand six feet or over and there is an almost total absence of rowdiness and a conspicuous presence of obedience and discipline which make for good soldiers and consequently for good men and good citizens.
Amanda, the 17 year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Ivers, of Rushmore, died last Sunday after an illness of four days, with pneumonia. The funeral was held on Tuesday, undertaker Chaney going over from this city to take charge of the same. The deceased was [a] bright young lady, and her sudden death is a great shock to her relatives and friends.
From the Tribune.
Mr. Roy Lewis, Miss Ada Montgomery, Miss Florence Lewis, Mr. Tom Carey, Miss Myrtle Briggs and Mr. and Mrs. M.R. Berkhimer attended a play at Worthington Tuesday night.
Major Thurber, who has been spending some time in Worthington, returned home the first of the week.
The board of school directors have succeeded in securing the services of Mr. Walter Ager and Miss Maud Ager the present school teachers of the Wilmont public schools for another year.
Mrs. Wilson Ager, of Worthington, was visiting her sons and daughter here a few days this week.
From the News.
B.H. Basing and son, Barney, and Christ Terhark departed last Friday evening on their long journey to Davidson, Canada, with ten head of horses and other farming effects sufficient for beginning the work of preparing for cultivation their new farm near that town.
Rev. Father Griffin returned last Saturday evening from the Rochester, Min., hospital, where he has been for a month past receiving treatment. He submitted to a particularly difficult operation for appendicitis and was getting along nicely when he suffered a relapse and suffered acutely for some time.
Round Lake.
From the Graphic.
F.H. Schoneman bought from Oscar Anderson a building which he had moved onto a lot in the south part of town. It is being overhauled for a residence.
C.D. Antritter was up to the county seat Monday and returned with a fine Bar Rock Cockerel.
Mrs. J.A. Thayer, of Detroit, Mich., arrived here last Saturday evening to visit her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Gregerson, and to assist at home while her mother is unable to get around on account of her broken leg.
D.J. Gronewold, of Bigelow, was in town this week figuring on engaging in the saloon business.
From the Tribune.
G.W. Patterson and John Montgomery were among the Worthington citizens who visited in Brewster Monday.
John Duba lost one joint of a finger and several others were badly bruised, by an accident which occurred at W.E. Roberts' implement house Monday afternoon.
Nick Kaufman is the proud papa of a girl, which was born to himself and wife Wednesday evening. This of course makes Gottlieb Casper grandpa.
F.E. Scott, of Round Lake, was a county seat visitor Tuesday.
L.R. Shaw, of Bigelow, was a county seat visitor Tuesday.
George and Wallace Saxon are hauling hay to town this week.
Foster Moore took a car of fat cattle to the Chicago market Monday.
D.L. Anthony visited his family at Storm Lake the first of the week.
Mrs. Hattie Bassett of Rushmore, was a Worthington visitor Wednesday.
R.B. Flint, of Minneapolis is the new night clerk at the Worthington hotel.
Newton Fauskee made a trip to Windom Wednesday on private business.
K. Deuth, a prominent farmer of Org, transacted business in the city Wednesday.
Will Bartlett, our popular cigar manufacturer, made a trip to Lismore Monday.
Wm. Sievert and family, of Wilmont, took dinner at the Allen House Wednesday.
Andy Dillman has received notice that his pension has been raised from $8 to $12 per month.
T.M. Towsley and J.H. Scharfenberg are new brakemen on the Lake Park run of the Rock Island.
Chas. Peterson, an old soldier of Jackson, was here this week to be examined for an increase of pension.
Oliver and Madison on Tuesday shipped a carload of fine steers, bought from G.W. Cale, to Chicago.
Co F, 3rd Regiment M.N.G., will be subjected to a rigid inspection on Monday, April 15th, by officers of the regular army.
Geo. Uden, of Ewington, who was badly cut up in a stabbing affray some weeks ago, was in the city Saturday, having fully recovered.
Duncan Sutherland left on Tuesday for Canada with a car of household goods, farm implements and stock. He will locate on a farm in western Canada.
R.W. Schmidt, who has been firing on the Currie branch for a couple of weeks, has been transferred there permanently, and on Thursday moved his family to Currie.
Mrs. J.P. Biltgen and daughter, Mrs. Devaney, and Mrs. Minnie Matheson went to Bigelow Tuesday to attend a birthday surprise party given Mrs. J.A. Salstrom.
W.S. Wyatt has bought the Cutler house, for a long time occupied by J.S. Kies and family, and moved in the first of the week. Mr. Kies has moved into the Guyse house, in Anderson's addition.
John D. Humiston left on Tuesday for Colorado where he will spend several weeks investigating the conditions and outlook in the irrigated districts, with the view investing if the prospects seem good.
M.J. Barber has taken possession of the Worthington Roller Mill and will operate it this year. We hope Mr. barber will succeed in building up a fine trade, as this is an industry that deserves liberal and loyal patronage.
G.M. Bailey, the Sunday School missionary, returned on Tuesday from Crookston, where he had been called by the illness of his mother. The old lady had suffered a stroke of paralysis, but when Mr. ey left there she was recovering.
The following Worthington people took dinner at the Western Hotel last Sunday: F.R. Durfee and family, Mrs. Crane, Ed. M. Johnson, E.J. Wolven and family, Thos. Dovery and family, Esther Sutherland, Nellie Crever, W.M. Evans, Willie Loveless and sister, Mr. and Mrs. H.J. Blume, Mr. and Mrs. W.J. Dodge, Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Chaney, E.E. Baxter, G.V. Pettit and family.
Ross Nelson made a trip to Heron Lake last Saturday.
N.M. Nelson, of Indian Lake, left Friday for St. Paul.
J.A. Cashel returned last Saturday from [a] trip to North Dakota.
E.C. Wilson left on Tuesday afternoon on a prospecting tour to New Mexico.
A.M. Renner spent Sunday visiting under the parental roof, at Comfrey, Minn.
Miss Mullaney, one of the public school teachers, is spending the Easter vacation with friends at Heron Lake.
County Superintendent of Schools L.W. Abbott has moved his family into the Esseldorf house, in Clary Addition.
A.N. Wetherell, the engineer who has taken the Lake Park run on the Rock Island road, this week moved his family into the Stitser residence.
V.A. Barnes has taken Clarence Pannell's place in W.E. Moses' hardware store. Mr. Pannell will leave in a few days for Montana to look up a location.
Mrs. J.W. Cowing, of Jackson, who was here attending the meeting of the Woman's Home and Foreign Missionary Society of the Mankato Presbytery, was a guest at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. A.R. Albertus.
Dr. Al. Sullwold, recently of Sioux Falls, was in the city the first of the week looking over the town with a view of locating here. Dr. Sullwold is a graduate of the Chiropiatic [sic] School of therapautics [sic], and is a specialist in nervous disorders.
U.F. Hansberger, a former business man of this city, but now located at Drinkwater, Canada, where he operates a 1400 acre farm, spent last Sunday visiting relatives and friends in this city. Mr. Hansberger came down to St. Paul to buy a carload of horses, and while so near his old home dropped down to Worthington.
Mrs. M.E. Lawton left on Monday for Minneapolis to take care of her son Ed. who has been ill for some time with inflamatory rheumatism. Mr. Lawton has been attending the state university and if the prospects are favorable for his recovery in a few days he will remain and resume his duties, otherwise he will come home for the rest of the term.
C.T. Tupper made a business trip to Wilmont last Friday.
Mrs. Thos. Dovery entertained the Birthday Club Tuesday afternoon.
J.M. Scriven, of Seward, was in the city Saturday doing trading.
Loren Clark, the shoeman, has during the past ten days unpacked a mammoth stock of spring footwear.
G.W. Roth last week bought the residence on 5th avenue that has been occupied by J.G. Mitchell for some time past.
Mrs. L.S. Rowland, of Eau Claire, a former resident of Nobles county, is here on a visit at the home of Richard Prideaux.
T.J. Nicholson, the founder and for a long time the editor of the Worthington Herald, was in the city this week attending to business in the probate court. Mr. Nicholson returned last week from a visit to New York state, and after closing up his affairs here he will go to Indian Territory to visit a brother and look over that country with the view of locating.
F.C. Stitser and family left on Tuesday for Kansas City, where they will make their home for some time. Mr. Stitser expects to go on the road for year or two before chosing a permanent location. Mr. Stitser has taken a third interest in a 1200 acre coffee and rubber plantation in Old Mexico, and expects eventually to devote his time to that business. We had a sample of the coffee grown on this plantation, and found it of superior quality. Mr. Stitser and family had been residents of Worthington about 14 years and were held in high esteem by everybody. Mr. Stitser was one of our most enterprising business men and always took a lively interest in everything pertaining to the welfare of the city and county.
G.A. Lincoln spent Sunday at his home in this city.
C.T. Tupper made a business trip to Sioux City last Saturday, returning Sunday night.
Frank Mitchell, of Princeton, this state, is here on a visit to his father-in-law, J.W. Mosher, and other relatives.
F.R. Geyerman, of Brewster, was a business visitor at the county seat Monday afternoon.
Joe Mackay returned Monday from the northern part of the state, where he had spent the winter.
Ed. J. Helmick spent Sunday with his family in this city.
S.S. Smith has bought the Segerstrom residence from Glen Baker.
Local News.
P.C. Anderson, of Org, transacted business in the city Saturday.
Marion Fairfield went to Heron Lake Saturday where he will spend the Easter vacation.
O.H. Nystrom, a prominent Bigelow farmer, was in the city last Saturday doing trading.
Mrs. William Thom and Mrs. J.C. Thom, of Rushmore, called on Worthington friends Wednesday.
Nelson Dayton came down from Minneapolis this week and will spend a couple of months here rusticating on Alex. Wilson's farms.
J.F. Flynn returned last Friday from a business trip to St. Paul. He left for Ellsworth on Saturday afternoon, where he spent Sunday.
Mrs. Frank Lewis, of Owatonna, visited in this city [a] couple of days the latter part of last week. Mrs. Lewis was formerly a resident of Worthington.
Harvey Beckley came down from Minneapolis last Saturday and spent the week here visiting relatives and friends and looking after business matters.
F.C. Turner on Tuesday took a carload of horses to Hoosick Falls, New York, for M.G. Hurd. Mr. Turner will visit his old home at Rome, that state, while east.
Geo. Cummings, an inmate of the Rock County poor house, committed suicide last Saturday by jumping in front of an Omaha passenger train near Beaver Creek. He was instantly killed and horribly mangled.
M.M. Mullen returned last week from a visit of a couple of weeks at his old home in Wisconsin. He also visited relatives at different points in Iowa. He was accompanied on the trip by his daughter, Nellie.
Heron Lake News: Dr. Stevens and Miss Nettie Dickerson gave their friends a surprise by going to Sioux City Sunday afternoon and were married Monday, and returned to Heron Lake Tuesday, where they received a hearty welcome and a generous supply of rice.
Sheriff H. TerHaar, of Jackson, was in the city Wednesday on official business. He was summoning witnesses for the [h]earing of Anderson, the young man who slashed up Geo. Udeen a few weeks ago, which will be held at Heron Lake next week. Young Anderson gave himself up several days ago.
George Doeden, of Worthington township, and Miss Minnie Schaefer of Elk, were married on Wednesday afternoon at the German Evangelical Church, the pastor, Rev. G.G. Schmid, officiating. The ceremony was followed by a reception at the residence of Rev. Schmid, which was attended by a large company of relatives and friends of the contracting parties. A dainty wedding supper was served.
The contracting parties are well known and are estimable young people, and have a host of friends whom we join in extending congratulations.

Friday, April 12 1907

New Epworth League Officers.
At the business meeting of the Epworth League held Monday evening the following officers were elected for the ensuing year:
President -- Chester Harding.
1st Vic Pres -- Miss Gertie Dow.
2nd Vice Pres -- Miss Addie Paine
3rd Vice Pres -- Miss Rena Dow.
4th Vice Pres -- Miss Flora Buchan
Secretary -- Lloyd Helmick.
Treasurer -- Geo. Tryon.
Organist -- Lloyd Buchan.
Chorister -- Ben Hildyard.
Mrs. C.F. Ling, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W.A. Mosher of this city, who lived near Round Lake, died last Sunday after a short illness. The funeral was held on Monday, the interment being made at Round Lake. The deceased leaves a husband and four children, besides her parents and other relatives in this city.
J.W. Cowing, of Jackson, spent a couple of days here visiting his daughter, Mrs. A.R. Albertus. Mr. Dowing was formerly one of the leading merchants of Jackson, but has retired from the mercantile business and now confines his attention to his banking interests.
Three presiding elders of the M.E. Church of Minnesota left last week for Europe. They will visit Rome and the Holy Land. The party includes Rev. J.F. Stout, of the St. Paul district, Rev. Dr. S.F. Kerfoot, of the Mankato district, and Rev. F.B. Cowgill, of the Marshall district.
Ed. Moberg returned last Friday from a month's sojourn in the Sunny Southland. In company with A.G. Anderson he visited in Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma and Texas. On March 9th they went in bathing on the beach at Port Arthur, Texas. Mr. Anderson stopped off at Kiron, Ia., to visit his mother for a few days.
Clarence Panell [Pannell?] left on Tuesday for Seattle, Wash., where he goes to spend some time, and will probably locate permanently if he finds a satisfactory opening. Mr. Pannell is a trustworthy and capable young man, and his many Nobles county friends will always be pleased to hear of his advancement and prosperity in the Magic City of the Sound.
Gilbert Gutterson, of Lake Crystal, stopped off here last Monday to pay his respects to his many friends. Mr. Gutterson stated that he will leave shortly or [on] a tour of Europe. He will sail from New York with his family on April 23. They will visit Italy, Switzerland, France, Germany, Denmark, Sweden and Norway in succession, and on the way home will take in the British Isles. They will be absent the whole summer. Mr. Gutterson stated that he expected to enter the congressional race next year and that he would put up a winning fight.
Mr. and Mrs. O.F. Johnson spent last Sunday at Org. Mr. Johnson returned Monday while Mrs. J. remained till Friday.
Mrs. W.B. Royse,  of Kenneth, is home visiting her father this week.
Miss Ida Bjornstad is staying with Mrs. John Dahlberg, in Rushmore, this week.
Mrs. Newcomer left for Bingham Lake Wednesday, where she will visit for a short time.
Vic Anderson shipped a car of hogs to Sioux City Wednesday.
P.C. Anderson returned from Chicago where he had been with one car of hogs and one of cattle.
Little Carrol Nance, who was stricken with spinal meningitis a couple of weeks ago, and was for a time in a very critical condition, has rallied, and there are now good prospects of his recovery.
Will Shaw, of Little Rock township, and his sister, Ida, were Ransom visitors last Sunday. We are always pleased to see these old friends.
We learn that S.I.W. Allen, one of the first settlers in Ransom township, has drifted away off to Oklahoma. Mr. Allen left us years and years ago, and we have often wondered what had become of him but never dreamed that he had wandered so far away. One of his daughters still lives near Flandreau, South Dakota.
Mrs. Mike Thompson, who is at the hospital at Rochester, is said to be getting along very nicely, and is expected home the forepart of next week. Of late years wonderful advancement has been made in medical practice.
Mrs. Ben Janssen, of this town, died on Sunday last, April 6th. Her disease was tuberculosis, and her death was not unexpected as she had been quite low for some time. The family moved here a year ago, Mr. Janssen having rented the Hunt farm some three miles northwest of Bigelow. The funeral was held on Monday, the service being conducted by the German Lutheran minister and the remains were laid to rest in the Wilson township cemetery, south of Bigelow. Mr. Janssen is left with six children, the eldest only eleven. Several of his people from Iowa were present at the funeral. Mr. Janssen has the warm sympathy which he so much needs.
From the News.
Mr. and Mrs. A. Tschirgi returned Tuesday evening from their winters sojourn in California.
Bruce Raabe was shot in the finger with an air gun last Friday, through a playmate pulling the trigger of a gun at an unexpected moment. The shot forced its way through the flesh and lodged against the bone.
From the Tribune.
James Montgomery and family moved their household effects over the bank Saturday, where they will live temporarily until they can get a suitable residence in Worthington where they are expecting to make their future home.
George Wyckoff, teacher in the Henry Fistman district, spent Sunday with his parents in Worthington.
Mr. and Mrs. L.W. Sowles went to Worthington Saturday to spend Easter Sunday with Mr. Sowles' parents.
Walter Ager and wife have moved into the house recently vacated by Henry Neinstad in the south part of town.
Cards are out announcing the marriage of Mr. Casper Hendle and Miss Hooman, to take place April 9th, 1907.
Roy V. Lewis has recently associated himself with Berkhimer Bros. in the real estate business. He will assume the office duties of the company and devote part of his time in explaining the good features of our district to prospective purchasers.
Indian Lake.
Mrs. Peter Cedargren and daughter, Miss Minnie, left last Tuesday for their home in Boone, Iowa, after spending a week at the Cedargren ranch.
Mr. E. Nordquist, who has been suffering seriously with heart trouble the past ten days, is well on the road to recovery.
Mr. George Saxon left last week for Minneapolis where he expects towork the coming summer.
The Ladies' Sewing Society met with Mrs. Oliver Thompson last Saturday afternoon.
Mr. and Mrs. John Saxon left last Monday for Worthington where they will make their future home. Mr. Saxon has been steady resident of Indian Lake since early in 1872, being one of the first to locate a claim in this neighborhood, he having gone through all the hardships of a bachelor in pioneer days, taking the bright side of everything and looking for better days which he has been blessed with in abundance as he has one of the finest farms in this vicinity and is deserving an easier life. Too much cannot be said of this worth couple, but what is our loss is Worthington's gain, and who will find them the very best of citizens.
Mr. Ed. Moberg returned last Thursday from a trip of about a month's duration, looking over Texas and other states in the South. While enjoying his trip very much, he thinks that Minnesota is by far the best state to live in.
From the Enterprise.
James Baird returned Sunday morning from Lindsay, Cal., where he has been spending the winter with his daughter and family.
Mrs. Nels Sorenson came home on Monday from Luverne, where she had been at the Spaulding hospital for an operation for appendicitis.
Miss Rebecca Johnson, of Northfield, Minn., arrived here the latter part of last week for a visit with Mr. and Mrs. Nels Hokeness.
John Meier came down from Brewster last Saturday and will work at the carpenter trade during the summer with Jacob Stoven.
A.A. Parent, from Wisconsin, is the new student at the depot under Agent Ehrisman. In addition to learning telegraphy he will look after the depot at night and will have it open only at train time.
Charles Ashbaugh returned last week from his trip to the northwest. He spent considerable time in the vicinity of Calgary and other points in Canada, but it is quite evident that he did not find a place of Nobles county, hence his return.
To the Advance--
I wish to protest against the uncalled for and exaggerated slurring allusions in issues of the Worthington Herald to my father, J.N. Holbrook. He has left Worthington for good, and is not now, nor has he been here to defend himself against the numerous attacks recently made on him. The ancient adage about "throwing stones" might be commented to the Herald editor's careful perusal.
Louis Holbrook
Mrs. H.R. Rockwell is visiting at Mankato.
George Kunze, of Elk, was in the city Tuesday.
Ross Nelson and family are visiting at Heron Lake.
H. Halverson, of Loraine, was in the twin cities Tuesday doing trading.
F.H. Thompson, of Seward, did trading in Worthington Wednesday.
P.A. Paulson, of Lorain, was in the city Wednesday on a trading trip.
H.R. Rockwell made a business trip to Fairmont the first of the week.
Born -- On Wednesday, April 10th, 1907, to Mr. and Mrs. Ned Jones, a son.
H.J. Westrip, a leading farmer of Seward, was in the city Wednesday doing trading.
Mrs. J.E. Stonesefer returned Wednesday from a visit to her parents at Lemars, Iowa.
H.S. and W.G. Myers left on Tuesday for a visit to Des Moines and other points in Iowa.
Mr. and Mrs. William Temby, of Iowa, are here on a visit to their daughter, Mrs. Ed. Horton.
Ivan and Kenneth Pettit entertained a few friends in an informal way on Wednesday evening.
W.N. Shanks, a pioneer of Seward township, transacted business in Worthington Wednesday.
Mrs. Ed. Horton is enjoying a visit from her sister, Mrs. Mosher, whose home is in California.
C. Synkerson has spent the greater part of the week at Brewster doing paperhanging and painting.
C.A. Roberts, of Seward township, was in the city Wednesday doing trading and marketing wool.
Street Commissioner Smith the first of the week received the sad news of the death of a sister living in Ohio.
The Rev. Dr. Edwin W. Lanham went to Morgan, Minn., the first of the week to attend a meeting of the Presbytery.
David Fauskee on Wednesday sold to the Hart Commission Co., 292 muskrat skins, which represented his last season's catch.
Fred Green, who is employed in McBride's livery barn, was quite badly hurt on Tuesday by being squeezed in a stall by a horse. He had two ribs broken and his collar bone fractured.
Undersheriff David Anderson, Frank Saxon and Roy Williams left yesterday on a trip to the Pacific Coast. They expect to be absent a month to six weeks, and some of them may remain in the west if they strike something that interests them.
R.G. Wicks, of Bigelow, registered at the Worthington Tuesday.
J.G. Mitchell made a flying trip to Sioux City the first of the week.
Theo. H. Bahls, of Round Lake, was a Worthington visitor Wednesday.
A.F. Dring, of Loraine, transacted business at the county seat Tuesday.
Miss Grace Smith returned this week from a visit with relatives in Wisconsin.
Mrs. Alma Peterson is in Minneapolis attending the State Sunday School Convention.
James Mann attended the State Sunday School Convention at Minneapolis this week.
Mr. and Mrs. J.A. Salstrom, of Bigelow, attended the club dance here Wednesday evening.
Charlie Anderson returned to Mitchell the first of the week to take a position in a hotel.
The Ladies' Cemetery Aid Society will meet with Mrs. E.C. Pannell, Tuesday, April 16th, at 3 o'clock.
The Misses Montgomery and Lewis, of Wilmont, visited friends and did shopping in Worthington this week.
The Ladies' Missionary Society of the M.E. Church met on Wednesday afternoon at the residence of Mrs. Otis Bigelow.
W.H. Brown, the Adrian auctioneer,, has been at work the past week canvassing for farm machinery for the Western Implement Co.
The Tourist Club will meet on Tuesday of next week with Mrs. William Jones. Subject for discussion: "Household Economics."
M. Levine and family, who had occupied the Hobson house on 10th street, for a year past, have moved into the Wilson dwelling, adjoining the same.
Frank Hand, of Bigelow village, was on Tuesday committed to the asylum of St. Peter by Judge of Probate Cory, after an examination by a board of physicians.
Mrs. Richard Prideaux returned last Friday from Lismore, where she had spent a couple of weeks visiting at the home of her daughter, Mrs. A.M. Feathers. Her three grand children, Lyman, Dorothy and Louise Feathers accompanied her home.
Windom Reporter: H.L. Durfee, S.S. Smith, L.M. Shell, A.R. Albertus and W. Dunbar, of Worthington. R. Jones, of Adrian, and S.P. Pratt, of Jeffers, was the out of town men who assisted at the initiation of E.M. Duroe, C.R. Duroe and F.M. Jones, of Jeffers, in the Royal Arch degree last Friday.
Co. F, 3rd Regiment, M.N.G., has been making thorough preparations for the inspection which will take place next Monday, April 15. The boys have been drilling twice a week for a month, and there has been a great polishing up of buttons and accountremants. The inspection will be conducted by officers of the U.S. army and the National Guard.
George Tryon is on the sick list with a very bad cold.
A.M. Renner went to Heron Lake Tuesday on business.
D. Malony, of Worthington township, was in the city Tuesday.
J.W. Spielman, of Hersey, was in the city last Saturday doing trading.
E.F. Buchan, the photographer, made a trip to Lake Park last Tuesday.
Miss Lula Merrick, of Austin, has been a guest of Miss Mabel Wheeler this week.
Miss Flora Buchan returned Monday from an over Sunday visit at Luverne.
Jay Wolven returned on Tuesday from Minneapolis, where he has spent several weeks.
Mrs. E.V. Voak's Sunday School class has the banner for attendance for the second time this year.
Misses Mamie and Flora Hogan are visiting in Turtle Lake, Wis., at the home of their uncle, John Hogan.
Miss Mary Johnson and two nieces of Forest City, Ia., are here on a visit at the residence of John A. Sahlbom.
Chris Hogan returned on Monday from his visit to Oklahoma. He found much country, but nothing that suited him.
John Albinson, of Minneapolis, who had spent several days here looking after business affairs, returned home last Saturday.
Rev. and Mrs. I.H. Darnell and Miss Richie Maxwell went to Minneapolis Sunday night to attend the Sunday School Convention.
Herman Schmid, of the firm of Schmid and Snyder, harness makers, left last Saturday for Dubuque, where he was married on Tuesday of this week.
John Ellingson, son of Ole Ellingson, of Indian Lake, died last Saturday at St. Peter, and was buried on Monday, the funeral being held from the M.E. Church in this city.
W.D. Boddy has sold his gasoline launch to J.W. Hogan, of Turtle Lake, and shipped it to that place the first of the week. Mr. Boddy will buy another.
Dr. Sullwold, of Sioux Falls, who was here last week looking over the town, moved his household goods here Wednesday, and has moved into the Hobson house, near the Advance office.
J.D. Farmer came down from Minneapolis Saturday to join Mrs. Farmer, who had spent a week here visiting her mother, Mrs. W.E. Wheeler. Mr. and Mrs. Farmer returned to Minneapolis Monday morning.
Clark Pannell and James Hogan left this week for Drinkwater, Can., where they will spend the summer on their farms. The boys have two choice quarter sections of Canada land, and expect to raise a good crop of No. 1 hard.
Ed. Lawton, who was taking a course in the State University, was brought home last Monday by his mother. He is in a bad way with inflamatory rheumatism, and will be confined to the house for some time.
James Wood returned last Friday from a trip to Minneapolis.
Misses Anna and Emma Strom visited in Rushmore over Sunday.
Dan Devaney, of St. Paul, spent last Friday here visiting his mother Mrs. M. Levine, and his brother, Will. Dan is employed in the linotype department of the Daily News. He came here from Dell Rapids, S.Dak., and left on the night train for St. Paul.
John A. Salstrom, the Bigelow banker, transacted business at the county capital last Friday morning.
Editor E.F. Clower, of Bigelow, was a county seat visitor last Saturday, and made this office a fraternal call.
Art Brenan, manager of the depot lunch counter, spent a couple of days visiting in Sioux City the latter part of last week.

Friday, April 19, 1907


Stanley Moore, the New Landlord, Took Possession Yesterday.

The Hotel Worthington was this week sold to Stanley Moore, who took possession yesterday morning and served breakfast. Negotiations for the sale of the property had been pending for some weeks, and at one time it looked as though H.R. Rockwell would secure it, but Mr. Moore succeeded in closing the deal. The Worthington is one of the best hotel properties between St. Paul and Sioux City, and under Mr. Moore's management we believe it will regain the patronage enjoyed in its palmiest days. He has had considerable experience in the hotel business, and having been for a long time a traveling man himself he is familiar with the requirements of the Knights of the Grip, and the traveling public generally.
Mr. and Mrs. Dorgan, who have run the hotel the past eight months, will leave the latter part of the week for Minneapolis, where they expect to spend some time looking after property interests; from there they will go to Washington, D.C., to take the management of a hotel of national reputation.
Important Case Decided.
[NOTE: if you want more info about this article, please email me (email below).]
People named in this article:
Geo. W. Wilson, L.H. Alexander, Peter Thompson.
John F. Humiston Dead.
John F. Humiston, a retired business man of Heron Lake, died suddenly of heart disease at his home in that place last Friday noon. Mr. Humiston was at one time engaged in the hardware business in this city, removing from here to Heron Lake a number of years ago. He recently sold his stock and retired from active business life. He was stepfather of A.C. Dickens, of this city, and also related to the Humis [Note: the rest of this article did not get copies.]
David Thompson of Elk, and Miss Bertha Thompson of Hersey, were married on Wednesday afternoon at the Court House by Judge of Probate Cory.
Mr. Herman Poppen and Miss Katie Arends, of Elk, were married on Tuesday forenoon at the residence of Rev. J.E. Evans, pastor of the Congregational Church. The young people will make their home on the Poppen farm, in Elk. The Advance joins their many friends in extending congratulations.
The pleasant farm home of the Pickett family, near Wilmont, was on Tuesday afternoon the scene of a pleasant event, when Miss Beatrice Pickett was joined in bonds of holy wedlock to Mr. . E. Butcher. The ceremony was performed by the Rev. J.E. Evans, of this city and was witnessed by a large company of relatives and friends. A reception and banquet followed, accompanied by the usual festivities. The bride received a fine collection of presents. Mr. and Mrs. Butcher will go to housekeeping on a farm near Wilmont, where they are now at home to their many friends.
Worthington Girl Writes Novel.
A former Worthington girl, Miss Laeta Marion Ramage, has written a novel that is praised by some critics. Miss Ramage is now a resident of Washington, D.C., but for several years taught school in this county.
Nels Nelson, the leading merchant of Luverne, died last week at Los Angeles, Cal., where he had spent the winter on account of ill health.
Indian Lake.
Mrs. August Anderson left Wednesday for Minneapolis where she will visit her daughter, Mrs. Rev. N. Nelson.
Matt Brayton shot a fine swan on Indian Lake last Monday, which he presented to A.F. Diehn, of Round Lake, who will have it mounted.
C.R. Saxon shot a monstrous pelican with his rifle last week, one of the largest that has been seen for years.
Mr. G. Anderson returned last Thursday from a trip to Texas.
Philathea met with the Misses Mamie and Jennie Saxon last Tuesday evening, in connection with their regular meeting held their semi-annual business meeting and elected the following officers: President, Miss Nellie Johnson; Vice President, Miss Alma Larson; Secretary and Treasurer, Miss Minnie Johnson. In balancing their accounts it was found that while it was only six months since the society was organized they have taken in $110.52, which is spent in Christian work.
Mrs. Frank Saxon and Miss Mary Johnson, of Worthington, spent Sunday with relatives and friends in Indian Lake.
Charley and Oscar Larson marketed hogs at Round Lake last Tuesday.
From the Enterprise.
Rev. Wehrenberg and wife moved back from Worthington the end of last week and are again occupying the German Lutheran parsonage. The German school at Worthington closed with the Easter confirmation services.
Mrs. S.B. Bedford came home last Friday from St. Paul, where she had been spending the winter while Senator Bedford was attending to his legislative duties. The legislature will adjourn on the 23rd, when the Senator will come home.
E.L. Wemple has been quite sick for the past week or more and has been confined to his bed nearly all of the time. Mr. Wemple's advanced age and nervous trouble is telling on him, but we all hope to see him rally from this attack and get out again.
From the Tribune.
Frank Duester, of the Globe force and John Lawson, of Worthington, came up to take in the base ball dance Wednesday evening.
Barney Reilly came near losing one of his eyes Monday. He was driving cattle and in some way he struck himself in the eye with his whip, causing an ugly wound. Dr. Williams dressed the wound and it is healing nicely.
H. Peter Lewis left for the twin cities Monday where he will spend the week buying a supply of summer goods for the Benson-Cabot and Co. store.
Miss Margaret McKay of Worthington came over Saturday to spend Sunday with her friend, Mildred Lewis.
From the Democrat.
Ferd Esser is shipping his household goods to Heron Lake today, and will soon be established in his new home there.
E. Brickson went to Belmont, Iowa, last Thursday to attend the funeral of his brother-in-law, Thomas Hauge, whose death occurred at Fargo, N. Dak., last Sunday.
John E. Faragher, who has been in California since the middle of December returned home last Thursday evening. He was most of the time at Los Angeles and San Diego, b ut visited many other places, including the Cataline Islands, San Jose and San Francisco.
O.J. Olson, of the firm of Olson Bros. Rushmore, was here Wednesday looking for a suitable house to rent. Houses are almost as scarce here as in Rushmore, but Mr. Olson may be able to rent a suitable property in a month or two. He expects to move his family here about the first of July.
O.F. Johnson is shipping out all the grain in the Anderson and Moen elevator, preparatory to going to Washington. We dislike very much to lose this estimable family from our village and join their many friends in wishing them success in their new home. They expect to leave next week.
Chas. Kuhl was in town Saturday and took out a large bill of hardware for his new dwelling.
B.F. Kneise left for Sheldon Tuesday in response a telephone message stating that his mother had died.
Loyal Minor dropped in from Minneapolis Friday for a short visit and left Tuesday for Arkansas, where he will spend some time with relatives.
From the Tribune.
Mrs. C.R. West and Theodore started from Brewster last Sunday on a trip that will cover many points of interest in the eastern section of the United States and also Bonnie Scotland and the land of the Blarney Stone. They have been seeing the sights this week at the Carlisle (Pa.) Inoian [Indian?] school, and will also visit in Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington before taking the steamer for the Old World.
From the News:
Patrick Carey, one of the early settlers of Nobles county, passed away last Friday afternoon at 12:30 o'clock at the home of his son, Thos. F. Carey, three miles east of town.
Superintendent Abbott was over from Worthington last Thursday and spent several days in visiting the schools in this locality. While here he inspected Burke Bros. fine line of top buggies and purchased a new one to take back to Worthington with him.
W.E. Keedick returned yesterday morning from spending the winter at El Paso, Texas, and other points in the west and southwest. He is looking hale and hearty and returns fully restored to health.
Round Lake.
From the Graphic.
Dr. Manson, of Worthington, was in town on a professional visit yesterday.
N.H. Austin was down from the county seat yesterday on business matters.
Tuesday of this week was Mr. and Mrs. E.D. Tripp's twentieth wedding anniversary. That evening about 55 adults gathered at their spacious home in honor of the occasion, and all present enjoyed themselves immensely.
Local News.
F.L. Humiston made a business trip to Sioux City Thursday.
Dr. F.M. Manson made a professional call to Rushmore Wednesday.
Editor and Mrs. M.R. Berkhimer of Wilmont, were guests of the Globe family Sunday.
Paul Freeman, of Slayton, is here on a visit at the home of his nephew, J.S. Frink.
Mrs. R.P. Dorgan made a business trip to St. Paul the first of the week, returning on Tuesday.
Wm. Burchard returned last Sunday from a business trip to the twin cities and the northern part of the state.
Mrs. E.K. Smith and two children are visiting at the home of her father, I.T. Branigan, at Edna, Ia., for a couple of weeks.
Mrs. C.B. Fairfield and son, Donald, of St. James, visited with the family of G.A. Fairfield Wednesday and Thursday of this week.
Dr. Weidow has already been initiated into the delights of motoring. He has discovered that it is just as cheap to make a call into the country in a livery rig as it is to have a livery rig bring out gasoline for a dead auto.
E.M. Dewey, of Loraine, was in the city last Saturday.
Mrs. M. Matson, of Reading, did shopping here Tuesday.
Mr. Henry Weidow visited in Minneapolis last Friday and Saturday.
Sam Stewart made a brief visit to St. Paul the first of the week.
Jos. Ullrich, a prominent Dewald farmer, transacted business in Worthington Tuesday.
Mrs. G.W. Wilson this week bought Ed. C. Wilson's residence property on 5th avenue.
Mrs. Frank Lyons was called to Lake City the first of the week by the death of her mother.
County Commissioner W.F. Moss, of Summit Lake, was in the city Saturday doing trading.
C.B. Lutner, the mail carrier on Rt. 1, Reading, was a Worthington visitor last Sunday.
Miss Jennie Clark returned last Friday from a visit of a couple of weeks with friends at Mitchell, S.D.
Miss Marie Berkhimer entertained a few young lady friends at a social gathering Tuesday night.
Mrs. Burch and Miss Wilson, of Harris, Ia., were guests at the residence of Dr. H. Weidow the first of the week.
Rev. G.A. Cahoon drove to Ransom Monday afternoon where he conducted the quarterly conference for that charge.
Miss Mabel Wheeler last evening entertained a number of young lady friends in honor of her guest Miss Lula Merrick.
Ray Hawley has been appointed weigher of the U.S. mails on Omaha trains Nos. 1 and 2, running between Minneapolis and Sioux City.
Herman Schmid and bride arrived in the city last Saturday, and have gone to housekeeping in the Thurber dwelling, on 4th avenue.
Mrs. E.V. Voak's class in the Presbyterian Sunday School on Monday evening entertained Rev. Edwin W. Lanham, the pastor, and Dr. H. Weidow, the superintendent.
Elmer Kyser and family returned last Friday from a two weeks visit with relatives and friends at St. Peter. Mr. Kyser has resumed his old place in Oliver and Madison's meat market.
A.M. Renner, local manager for the Western Implement Co., left for the twin cities Tuesday to buy two carloads of the Velie and Deere high grade buggies for their new buggy repository.
Carroll Nance, who has been ill the past three weeks with spinal meningitis, is at present in a very critical condition. Early last week he made a very favorable recover[y], but suffered a relapse and at present his prospects are not the best.
The highest price ever paid in Worthington for business property was that paid by Mr. Addington to Wilson and Son for the place occupied by Capt. Casaretto, which is practically a bare lot. The price was $166.66 per front foot.
Dr. Henry Wiedow is the proud possessor of a new automobile of the Holzman make. It is different from the ordinary type of autos, in that it resembles in lines a common buggy, having large cushion tired wheels. The doctor is rapidly acquiring skill in handling his machine, and will soon be able to scorch with the speediest.
John Meiers, of Brewster, was in the city Tuesday.
O.W. Dieckhoff made a business trip to Luverne yesterday.
Walter Paine, of Elk as in the city Saturday doing trading.
John Webster is buying a carload of horses for the Chicago market.
T.H. Osborne, of Bigelow township, was in the city on business.
C.M. Crandall returned on Tuesday from a business visit to St. Paul.
Henry Uden, of Ewington township, did trading in Worthington Saturday.
John Webster and Dow Mitchell were at Round Lake Tuesday buying horses.
Mrs. David Beers, of Luverne, is here on a visit to her daughter, Mrs. J.S. Frink.
I. DeGeus, of Summit Lake, was a business visitor in Worthington last Saturday.
Dr. Henry Weidow made a trip to Sibley last Friday on professional business.
Amos Erickson and Thos. Johnson, of Brewster, transacted business here Tuesday.
A. Nazarenus, a prominent Elk township farmer, transacted business in the city Saturday last.
R.S. Hurd returned on Tuesday from Chicago, where he had marketed a car of hogs and a car of cattle.
Senator G.E. Canfield, of Luverne, was in the city between trains Monday, being on his way back to St. Paul.
Letters from C.M. Harding and family state that they are delighted with their new home in California, and that they are getting along nicely.
L. Miner, of Minneapolis, a former resident of Nobles county, who had been visiting his uncle, H.H. Reed, of Reading, left on Wednesday for Arkansas to visit other relatives.
Mrs. E.W. Goff, who has been in poor health for some time, was taken to a sanitarium at Anoka this week, where she will spend some weeks taking treatment for nervous disorders.
Will Bly, of Minneapolis, passed through this city Monday on his way to California. On his arrival here he was joined by Mrs. Bly, who had been visiting at the home of John Saxon, in this city.
Banker and Mrs. R.J. Jones, of Reading, were Worthington visitors Tuesday. Mrs. Jones comes down once a week to take lessons from Mrs. G.A. Lincoln, Worthington's celebrated music teacher.
Geo. W. Wilson and Son on Tuesday sold to J.M. Addington the building at present occupied by Capt. J. Casaretto. Mr. Addington will in the near future transform the building into a modern barber shop.
K. Deuth, of Org, was a county seat visitor Saturday last.
G.W. Deland, of Org, was a pleasant caller last Monday.
C.F. Anderson, of Wilmont, was in town Saturday doing trading.
Peter Cedargren, of Bigelow, was in the city on business Tuesday.
Andrew Gorrie, of Indian Lake, was in town Tuesday doing trading.
Mr. and Mrs. R.L. Morland visited at St. Paul the first of the week.
Chas. Paine, of Loraine, transacted business in Worthington Saturday.
Mrs. Fred Goff and daughter visited in Minneapolis the first of the week.
John Miller, of Summit Lake was in Worthington Saturday doing trading.
C.F. Martin, a well known Reading farmer, was in town Saturday on a trading trip.
Mr. and Mrs. J.A. Gardner, of Kinbrae, were guests at the Allen House last Saturday.
Capt. A. Schaffer came down from St. Paul Monday to take command of Co. F. at the inspection.
E.J. Wolven has received a fine new touring car and now has the largest and handsomest machine in the city.
Theo. Hendricks, of Worthington township, was in the city last Saturday doing trading and transacting other business.
Ben F. Young, one of the prominent and well to do agriculturists living near Reading, transacted business and did trading at the county seat Tuesday.
John Humiston returned last Friday from his visit to Colorado. He did not invest in that country, but expects to return there in a few weeks to select a location.
T.L. Tifton was down from Elk Tuesday on a trading trip.
Mrs. Frank Stevens is visiting at her old home, LaCrosse, Wis.
Banker I.P. Fox, of Verdi, visited in Worthington on Tuesday.
Ole Norland, of Hersey, did trading at Torrance's store Saturday.
H.W. Ferguson, of Luverne, was a Worthington visitor Wednesday.
Christ Larson, of Indian Lake, was a Worthington visitor Saturday.
S.A. Harding left on Tuesday for St. Paul, where he will look for work.
Mrs. Wilburn, of Sibley, visited her daughter, Mrs. F.M. Hickman, this week.
Chairman Foster Moore, of Worthington township, transacted business in town Wednesday.

Friday, April 26, 1907

Little Caryl Nance Succumb to Spinal Meningitis. Funeral Held Sunday.
The somber Death Angel last Saturday invaded the home of Mr. and Mrs. E.L. Nance for a second time within a month, and summoned hence their 10 year old son, Caryl, who was stricken with spinal meningitis about four weeks before. After the first week of the illness the little fellow improved considerably and hopes were entertained of his recovery, but these hopes were shortlived, and after a few days [a]gain he suffered a relapse and failed gradually until the end, which came last Saturday afternoon. The funeral was held on Sunday afternoon from the Nance home on Grand avenue. Reverend J.E. Evans conducted the service, which was held on the lawn, and was attended by a large number of the friends of the family. Interment was made in the Worthington cemetery.
The loss of their second son so soon after the death of their baby is a very severe blow to the bereaved parents, who in their sad affliction have the heartfelt sympathy of the entire community.
Mrs. Wm. Thom, of Rushmore, Answers Death's Summons.
Mrs. William Thom, an early pioneer of Nobles county, passed away at her home near Rushmore last Saturday after a short illness with pneumonia, aged 58 years. The funeral was held on Tuesday at the Presbyterian Church at Rushmore. The service was conducted by Rev. Gibbs, and was largely attended.
The deceased had been a resident of Nobles county for 28 years. She was born in Scotland in 1849; she came to America in childhood. She was married in 1865 to William Thom, and lived on a farm he took as a homestead ever since. She leaves four sons, Frank, William, Roy and Archie Thom, and three daughters, Mrs. W.J. McChord, and Misses Lillian and Pearl Thom; also two brothers, J.G. and James Mitchell, and one sister, Mrs. Jas. Gregg.
Mrs. Thom was a lady of kindly disposition and was held in high esteem by all of her large circle of friends.
Injured By a Fall
The many friends of Mrs. Otis Bigelow, Sr., will be grieved to learn that she sustained a serious and very painful injury in a fall on the pulpit steps in the Methodist Church last Friday evening. She sustained a fracture of the hipbone, an injury so serious that at her advanced age recovery will be slow, if it is attained at all. She is suffering much pain, but everything that medical science can do is being done to ease her suffering.
Mark Marden has made some necessary improvements on his dwelling on 3rd ave.
[NOTE: if you would like more info on this article, please email....
People named in this article:
M.J. Barber, F.A. Matheson.
Minnesota Inventors.
The following patents were issued this week to Minnesota inventors: G. Amonsen, Minneapolis, milling attachment for lathes; T. Dougherty, Minneapolis, grain bin; R.E. Flyberg, Halstad, firearm; J.B. Freear, Excelsior, paper rack; W.L. Fredericks, Minneapolis, rail joint for iron beds; G.J. Kaplan, Owatonna, combined churn and butter worker; O.L. Kleven, East Grand Forks, harvesting machine attachment; G.C. Miller, Fairfax, refrigerator fastening; L. Nees, Minneapolis, automatic sash operator; E.C. Oliver, Minneapolis, speed indicator; W.F. Pagal, Minneapolis, gasoline indicator; W.H. Robbins, Minneapolis, drop for electric circuits; D.L. Rose, Mankato, sod or walk trimmer; G. Santen, St. Paul, Game; N. Stoskopf, Prosper, corset attachment.
Card of Thanks.
We wish to thank our many friends for thei rkindly remembrance during the death and burial of our daughter.
Mr. and Mrs. Maurice Maxwell, Ballard, Wash.
Vic Anderson hauled out two car loads of drain tile which he will put into his farm south of town.
J.J. Thompson left for Windom. He had been hauling coal for the Standard Drainage Company.
E. Miller has been delivering a few oats at the Hubbard and Palmer elevator.
Miss Mabel King went to Reading for a few days to help her sister.
Mrs. Fred Johnson has been on the sick list for a few days, but is better at present.
C. King and family spent Sunday in Reading, making the trip by team.
Miss Emma Thuson is working for Mrs. G.W. Deland at present.
Mr. J.E. Johnson is busy now-days helping his brother-in-law, Mr. Bjornstad on the farm.
Miss Adeline Sahlbom came out Friday and stayed with her mother till school time, Monday.
Magnolia Advance: Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Solma, of Ellsworth, and Mr. and Mrs. Fred Manigal, of Rushmore, and families, visited Will Caster and mother Sunday.
Magnolia Advance: Dr. J.N. Gould, of Worthington, was here Tuesday doing veterinary work for Henry Klien.
Rev. J.J. Filburn spent Sunday at Ireton, Iowa.
Zetta Eshleman is spending a few days with her sister, Mrs. Henry Studebaker, at Brewster.
John Eikenberry has hired out to Geo. Ferdon for the season.
The Mission Band meets with Mrs. Mark Eshleman this week.
Lloyd Kimmel is working for Roscoe Eshleman.
From the Democrat.
Fred Mohl is shipping an immense number of trees from the Kanaranzi Nurseries this spring. During the past few weeks he has sold large quantities of stock -- some in car load lots.
Everett Lindgren has been in Sioux Falls this week taking an examination for admission to the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, Md.
C.J. Smallwood, of Worthington, was here Tuesday attending a meeting of the officers of the Adrian Local Telephone Company.
F.N. Williams, superintendent of the Windom schools, was here Monday looking for grade teachers. He offered two of our teachers a substantial increase in salary and they may accept.
Invitations are out for the wedding of J. Raymond Lindgren of Marshall, Minn., and Miss Edith Guild, at the home of the bride's parents in Minneapolis, Wednesday, April 24th. Mr. Lindgren visited at his home here the first of the week. He is engaged in the practice of law at Marshall, having recently formed a partnership with one of the leading lawyers of Lyon county.
Anderson and Moen's Ele. Co. closed out their stock of grain Friday, and closed their doors. The house will stand idle till July 1st, when the Rust Bros. take charge.
O.F. Johnson packed his kit and departed from Reading Tuesday. He sent his household goods to Org, where they will be stored, till he and family make a trip to the far west.
J.A. Good and Mrs. Frank Bulick have the mumps.
From the News.
John Borget, son of Mr. and Mrs. H.J. Borget of this city passed away Monday morning after an illness extending over several years. Until a few months ago he was in business at Minneapolis, Minn., but failing health compelled him to relinquish business cares and a short time ago he sold out there and returned to Ellsworth.
A gloom of sadness was cast over this community last Saturday morning when it became known that Joe O'Hearn, proprietor of the new dray line, had made an attempt on his life by cutting his throat with a butcher knife at the home of his sister, Mrs. Mike Guinan southeast of town. The timely arrival of medical aid saved his life, as the jugular vein had not been reached and the trachea was but slightly severed.
From the Signal.
Mrs. Brayton went to Worthington Saturday morning where she will visit with her parents.
Mrs. L.A. White of Worthington, came down Thursday afternoon and visited with her many friends until Saturday morning.
S. Westby, while unloading railroad ties Saturday afternoon, had the misfortune to let a heavy oak tie fall on his foot, crushing it quite badly. Mr. Westby is around this week attending to his labors but is somewhat lame from the accident.
Frank Brown, of Worthington, spent Sunday at the home of his grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. F. Ruprecht.
Indian Lake.
The Misses Alma Larson and Violet Saxon superintended the Sunday School in district 91 last Sunday afternoon.
Rev. Linblod, who is on his way from Sand Prairie, S. Dak., to Sweden, held services at the Baptist church Sunday, morning and evening.
From the Tribune.
While Mrs. James Montgomery was going down stairs Wednesday evening her ankle turned and losing her balance she pitched forward and fell to the bottom of the landing, a distance of about 12 feet. She received a severe bruise on her forehead and her shoulder was badly sprained but luckily no serious injury resulted from the mishap.
Pete Lebens, living two mile west of town, is hauling lumber for a large barn which he intends to erect on his farm this spring.
From the Enterprise.
Rev. Gibb and James Baird returned Saturday from Minneapolis, where they had been attending the State Sunday School Convention.
Twin babies, both boys, were born to Mr. and Mrs. E.G. Edwards, Thursday evening, April 11th. Mr. and Mrs. Edwards are now the parents of nine children and are entitled to a Roosevelt medal. Ed wears the new honor with becoming dignity.
The infant child of Mr. and Mrs. H.G. Cromwell died Wednesday morning and will be buried this afternoon.
Mrs. William Thom was taken quite sick last Sunday morning with an attack of pleurisy. Later pneumonia set in and she has been in quite a serious condition ever since.
The new mail route to start from the Rushmore postoffice May 1st and to be known as Route No. 3, will be served by John McChord.
H.G. Cromwel expects to move the forepart of the week to Worthington to make his home. He has sold a part of his territory in the west part of the county and by moving to Worthington he will be more centrally located.
Mrs. J.H. James, of Worthington, visited the first of the week with her sister, Mrs. W.E. James.
Mrs. Ubbe Feeken, who lived with her husband on the northwest quarter of section 32, Ransom township died last Sunday as the result of childbirth, she having given birth to twin girls the day before. She leaves a husband and a large family of children to mourn her death.
Round Lake.
From the Graphic.
David Tripp had his left arm broken just above the wrist last Thursday afternoon, while playing with his brothers and cousin, Harold Moeller. Dr. Wiedow reduced the fracture and, although the injury caused him to suffer much pain, he is getting along nicely. The little fellow displayed even more grit than most adults when his arm was being set -- he took no anaesthetic during the operation.
Dr. James Werntz and wife stopped off here last Thursday evening on a short visit with friends, having been on their way from Kansas to Arlington, this state.
H.R. Tripp was down from the county seat on business between trains yesterday afternoon.
The school board met Monday and engaged Mr. Thielvoldt for another year as principal of the Round Lake school, and Miss Pigman was retained as teacher of the primary department.
From the Tribune.
Mrs. Melinda Spangler died at her home in Graham Lakes township last Friday, of appoplexy, and the body was shipped to Spencer, Iowa, on Tuesday for burial. Mrs. Spangler was born in Pennsylvania and was past 51 years of age. The family came here last year from Spencer, and settled on the Island farm.
F.R. Geyerman was operated on at Worthington yesterday for a growth in the nose, which is supposed to have caused his recent neuralgic trouble.
Robert Erickson went to St. Paul Monday night, expecting to attend a horse sale on Wednesday, but returned before the sale took place. He states that horse prices are out of sight.
Local News.
Mrs. J.S. Ramage is a patient at the Worthington hospital.

Their counterparts will be found at the Worthington Chautauqua. They will be under charge of Miss Claire Christie Lund, of Chicago, who promises to make this feature very entertaining and instructive for the boys and girls. They will give an exhibition of their prowess in various lines for the Chautauqua visitors on the afternoon of July 12th. Bring your children and let them enjoy this novel training.

E. Graff, of Elk, was in the city Friday.
Rev. G.G. Schmidt visited in Wilmont last Tuesday.
Mr. and Mrs. J.C. Thom, of Rushmore, were in the city yesterday.
Louis Volberding of Dewald, was in town Friday last doing trading.
G.W. Patterson has completed a large new barn on his farm north of town.
Banker W.M. Evans returned this week from a visit to his mother at Gowrie, Iowa.
J.H. Blume has had erected a new tile and brick smokestack on his steam laundry.
John Thom, of Glencoe, passed through town yesterday on his way home from Rushmore.
Arjen Rust, a prominent pioneer of Summit Lake, transacted business in Worthington Tuesday.
M. Diffenbaugh, of Streator, Ill., was here the first of the week looking after farming interests.
Frank McFarland and Milt Libaire, of Adrian, were in the city Monday looking for driving horses.
Mrs. Mary Case of Owatonna, who had been visiting  at Rushmore, passed through town yesterday on her way home.
Henry Janssen, of Ewington township, transacted business here Tuesday. He bought a fine new surry from the Smith Implement Co.
The telephone company is laying an underground cable from the central office to the junction pole at the rear of Peter Thompson's lot.
Rev. G.A. Cahoon visited Brewster on Monday and Magnolia on Wednesday, where he held quarterly meetings for Presiding Elder Cowgill, who is now in Europe.
John Sahlbom, of the Albinson-Boberg Lumber Co., will leave tomorrow on a trip to the Pacific Coast, which will take him away from Worthington for a month or so. He will go out by a southern route and will visit Los Angeles and points north from there up to Seattle, and will return by a northern route.
E.M. Crosby returned last Saturday from Hot Springs, Ark., and on Tuesday afternoon resumed his run on the Rock Island, between Worthington and Lake Park. Mrs. Crosby is still at Hot Springs and will remain for some time. She is much improved in health.
Bill Jones, the worthless coon who has been hanging around Worthington for some years, was given his walking papers on Monday evening. He was suspected of bootlegging, but the authorities seemed to think it was cheaper to run him out of town than to prosecute him.
J.H. James, who last winter moved back to this city from Minneapolis, and later bought the Baxter place adjoining his residence, has completed some extensive improvements that add greatly, to the appearance of that part of the city. Mr. James is one of those progressive and public spirited citizens who believes in beautifying the city and is setting a good example in that line.
Peter Reinken was down from Reading last Saturday.
R.H. Dieckhoff was home over Sunday visiting his family.
J.M. Kimmel, of Elk, was in the city last Saturday doing trading.
Sheriff Henry TerHaar, of Jackson county, was in the city Wednesday.
Dr. Ray Humiston made a professional trip to Round Lake on Monday.
Mrs. Jens Christianson of Loraine was in the city Wednesday doing trading.
Fred Kisler was down from Lismore this week and spent some time looking for a wife.
Phil McCarvel, the bonanza farmer of Hersey township, was a Worthington visitor Tuesday.
Ted Ostrum, former day clerk at the Hotel Worthington was here over Sunday visiting friends.
W.H. Healy, of Des Moines, was in the city over Sunday, a guest of his sister, Mrs. M.E. Wheeler.
Lee Darling had his nose broken last Saturday afternoon, at the fair grounds, by being hit by a batted ball.
Mr. and Mrs. Ed. Larson, of Elk township, are rejoicing over the arrival of twins at their home one day last week.
Mr. and Mrs. E.L. Nance left on Tuesday afternoon for Sioux City, where they will spend some days visiting relatives and friends.
H.H. Hughes, of Jackson, was in the city Tuesday representing the American Registry Co., and Great Eastern Accident Co. He wrote a large number of accident policies while here.
Mr. and Mrs. Alex Wilson, of Worthington township, are celebrating the advent of twins at their pleasant farm home east of town. Mr. Wilson is a model farmer and citizen in an full accord with Roosevelt's idea of race preservation.
Mr. E.K. Smith returned home Saturday last from a ten days visit with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. I.T. Branigan, at Edna, Iowa. She was accompanied home by her sister, Miss Inez Branigan, who has been spending the week here and will return to Edna Saturday.
Mrs. Hattie Bassett, of Rushmore, last Friday took Mrs. A. Brandt of this city to the Soldiers Home at Minnehaha Falls, where the latter expects to remain for some time. Mrs. Brandt has reached a very advanced age and lately had become quite feeble.
G.W. Patterson made a business trip to Sioux City Wednesday.
Harness maker Schltz [Schultz?] was on the sick list a couple of days the first of the week.
Banker James Montgomery and E. Latourell, of Wilmont, were visitors in Worthington Monday.
Manley P Thorton, Adrian's leading legal light, transacted business at the county seat last Monday.
Miss Grace Watson, sister of Mrs. R.L. Morland, died on Wednesday of this week at her home at St. Paul.
John Surrat, grandfather of Mrs. A. Dickens, of this city, died Wednesday at his home at Heron Lake.
Mrs. Seline and children returned this week from a visit of several months at their old home in Sweden.
I. Fosberg, the Bigelow blacksmith, is spending 30 days a[t] Hotel Fauskee, to recover from the effects of a too hilarious celebration.
Rev. Edwin W. Lanham will preach the anniversary sermon to Odd Fellows next Sunday morning at the Presbyterian Church.
J.J. Parsons has sold his residence property in this city to Christ Hogan, and will leave shortly for Oklahoma, where he will try his fortune.
Luverne Journal: J.A. Town, Esq., of Worthington, came over to attend some professional matters before Judge Brown Saturday evening, and as he so seldom sees a real live own [sic] he concluded to remain here over Sunday. That is right, Colonel, come again when you take a notion of being good.
Ed. Ferdon is cutting cottonwood trees on Dan Shell's farm west of town to saw it into lumber. Ed. has ordered a portable sawmill of the Smith Implement Co. for that purpose and expects to commence the work as soon as the outfit arrives.
John Saxon and his wife and daughter have moved to Worthington after thirty years of farm life, and are going to leave the farm to the younger members. It always gives us great pleasure to see people who have endured the early hardships become abel to live in ease and comfort in their declining years.
O.F. Johnson and family, of Reading, left today over the Omaha for Seattle, Wash. They go by the way of St. Paul, and will visit at several points on the way. Geo. King, of Org will accompany them.
Mrs. Della Granis, of Lakefield, was a guest of Mrs. J.H Peterson last week.
Born -- Thursday, April 25th, 1907, to Mr. and Mrs. C.R. Bishop, a 11 pound daughter.

Misses Mamie and Flossie Hogan, who had spent a month visiting their uncle at Turtle Lake, Wis., returned on Tuesday. Their sister, Maud, who had been living there, returned with them.

----End Transcription----

Microfilm, Worthington Advance; Minnesota Historical Society, St. Paul, MN; obtained March, 2008.

If you would like more information,
please contact Terri Mindock

The banner below has been added by the website host, and does not reflect any promotion by the author of these pages.