Search billions of records on
The banner above has been added by the website host, and does not reflect any promotion by the author of these pages.

Lane-Blood Genealogy
You are here:  Home  >  MN newspaper articles  >  transcription

Newspaper Articles
from Worthington Advance
 November, 1906

Use the EDIT > FIND function on your browser to search this page.
To search the rest of this site, go to the HOME page (link above)
and use the "Search this site" box.

Friday, November 2, 1906

Proceedings of That Tribunal During the Past Week.
Several Prisoners Plead Guilty to Criminal Charges.
Bigelow Saloonkeeper Indicted on Six Counts for Selling to Minors
More business has been disposed of in the district court during the past week than in any other week during the term.
Our report last week concluded with the case of Thomas Foley, which had been called for trial. Foley was indicted for assault in the second degree. The character of his offence was a crime against nature. He changed his plea to guilty.
In the case of the State vs. Frank Timmons and Chas. Blumeneau the defendants were permitted to plead guilty to assault in the third degree.
Last Friday Acel Pierman was arraigned under an indictment for horse stealing. He plead not guilty, but the next day changed his plea to guilty.
The case of the State vs. Joseph Stearns, charged with incest, was called last Friday and the jury empanneled. In the afternoon the jury was dismissed until Monday forenoon. The case went to jury Wednesday evening and a verdict of guilty was returned. This has proved to be a case of exceptionally revolting depravity on the part of those concerned.
D.J. Gronewald, a saloon keeper of Bigelow, was last week indicted for selling liquor to minors on six counts. He plead not guilty to all counts, but later changed his plea in two counts to guilty. He is now in jail with the other convicts awaiting sentence.
The last jury case was that of the State vs. David Tripp. No defense was made and the defendant was found guilty.
The jury was then dismissed and the court cases were taken up, and it is possible the calendar will be cleaned up this week. The prisoners will be sentenced when the other business is concluded.
Ethel Smith has been on the sick list the past week.
Nels Langseth was in from Indian Lake on business yesterday.
Dr. and Mrs. F.E. Walker of Hot Springs, S.D. are the guests of friends this week.
Dr. F.B. Cowgill will hold quarterly conference at the M.E. Church tonight at 8 o'clock.
Geo. Klessig drove to the county seat Saturday.
J.A. Good and wife interviewed Worthington merchants Saturday.
Geo. J. Fisch is enjoying a visit from his father, who arrived Friday.
A letter received from L.D. Fancher states that they have settled in Hazel, S.D., where he has charge of a lumber yard.
B.F. Young shipped two cars of sheep to Chicago Saturday. He accompanied them.
P.R. Long consigned two cars of cattle to the Sioux City market Saturday.
C.T. Tupper was a business visitor to our village Saturday.
Deputy Sheriff Mishler was serving papers in this locality Saturday.
Mrs. Montgomery, of Estherville, spent Sunday with her old friends, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Baker.
A.S. Frane and wife took in the market day at Rushmore Saturday.
Mrs. E.J. Brubaker has been very sick but is now on the road to recovery.
C.O. Burns was called to Worthington Monday as witness in a case pending before the court.
Fred Post left Tuesday for the cornfields of Iowa.
Mrs. Horner, of Iowa arrived Monday for a visit with her daughter, Mrs. P.R. Long.
Tuesday's delegation to the county seat consisted of the following: Mr. and Mrs. C.A. Hagberg, Lizzie Klessig, Anna Ackerman, Mrs. R.J. Jones, W.J. Klessig, Sam Lemen, John Duis, and D.H. Sisson.
Henry Schroeder arrived Monday from Iowa, to look after his real estate in this locality.
Leslie Christianson left Monday for Loman, Minn., where he will spend the winter.
F.E. Eggleston lost a valuable horse Monday. Cause lung fever.
Banker Ned Jones, of Worthington was a business visitor to our village Tuesday.
Jurymen Durfee and Baker spent Sunday with their families, returning Monday.
Route One.
Emil Graf is serving the county as jurymen during this term of court.
Henry Kunze sold a fine horse to Albert Leistico Wednesday.
Joe Firth of North Dakota arrived Tuesday for a visit with his brother Art.
C.M. Holland and family returned home last Saturday from Emmet Idaho where they had spent the last seven months looking after a ranch for their uncle, they don't like it there. Clayton thinks Minnesota good enough.
Gier and Belz of Conrad Iowa who owns a fine half section on No. 1 in Seward, occupied by N.A. Johnson, are making extensive improvements, in the way of tiling and fencing, they are putting in between seven and eight hundred rods of tile and contemplate putting in about that much more next year and are fencing principally with woven wire.
George Butcher of near Wilmont has rented the Hislop farm now occupied by H.D. Pratt and will move on to it in the spring. Mr. Pratt moves on the farm now occupied by Frank Schmidt, while Mr. Schmidt goes on to one of Vic Anderson's farms south of Org.
Frank Williams one of the hustling overseers of Elk has been doing some good work in his district this fall, one day he had four crews at work, and it kept him busy chasing from one crew to another but what bothered him was he could never meet a rig going the same way he was.
The carrier and all the little carriers join in thanking the Misses Helen and Hazel Hastings for as fine a pumpkin pie as they ever ate which was found deposited in the mail box last Saturday.
From the Signal:
David T. Cain, who was injured in a tussel with his gasoline engine, has taken charge of the business once more. Although he carries his left arm in a sling he is able to do the book work and buying while he has an assistant, Mr. Hamilton, who is doing the manual labor around the elevator at present.
Sorem Bros have sold their hardware and implement business at this place to the Jeffers Land Co., and will retire from the management of the business. The deal was closed several days ago but had been kept rather quiet and the transfer is to take place about Nov. 1st.
A business deal was closed on last Thursday whereby Guy Ostrom became the owner of the hotel property here. Mr. Ostrom traded a quarter section of land near Chamberlain, S.D., for the property and the price he allowed for the property was $1200.
Orville Tupper, the assistant cashier of the Citizens National Bank of Worthington, came down on the freight Monday morning and made a drive in the country south of town. The morning freight was so late that he missed the passenger train back to Worthington.
From the Enterprise:
Jesse Hamstreet has been laid up the past week with appendicitis. It was a mild attack and he is able to be out again today.
S.T. Wood has the foundation laid for a new barn 36x50 with 12 foot posts, which he will build on his farm adjoining town. His tenant S.C. Wilson, is engaged quite extensively in darying and the new barn is exclusively for milch cows.
Boyd McChord has resigned his position at the creamery and Burr Smith, of Adrian, has been secured to fill the vacancy. Mr. Smith has rented the Morton house and will move his family here the first of next week.
From the Democrat:
Chas. F. Becker at the head of the shoe department of the Big Store, while on his way from Yankton, S.D., to St. Paul, became demented, rushed out of the car and jumped off. The train was running at least thirty five miles an hour at the time. His act was witnessed by the conductor and several passengers, and the train was stopped and backed up to the place where Mr. Becker lay unconscious. He was taken to the hospital at St. Cloud, where it was found that one of his arms was broken and that he had received other serious injuries.
From the Leader:
DeBoer and Ten Cafe have traded their acre property on the north side of town to Mark Graves for a farm just across the line in Murry Co.
We hear that George Cutler and family will occupy the Hotel after Nov. 1st. We do not know whether the Sowles family will remain in Lismore or not but hope so at any rate. The Cutler family will be welcomed back to Lismore.
From the News:
City Marshall Finnerty recently disposed of his farm near Edna to a party from Lester, and during the past week closed a deal for the purchase of the 160 acre tract just across the road from Tim Hefferan's home. The farm was the property of the First National Bank and sold for $65 per acre.
Round Lake.
From the Graphic:
Had the weather been favorable this week C.J. Anderson would have had Julius Palm, of Worthington, here to begin work on the construction of his new barn on his farm cornering town on the south west. It may be started the end of this week. The structure will be 46x48 feet in size and cost in the neighborhood of $700.
B.C. Denkman departed last Saturday afternoon for Walcott, Ia., where we are informed, he was married yesterday to Miss Martha Schwarting. He and his bride are expected to arrive here in a few days when they will take up their residence in the house recently purchase by the groom who is cashier of the State Bank of Round Lake. The best wishes of a host of friends await the happy young couple.
From the Tribune:
On Monday of this week a stranger helped himself to E.W. Sharping's overcoat which had been left on the wagon in the street, but was caught by Marshal Montgomery before he had gone far. He was taken before the local justice and given a sentence of 30 days at Hotel de Fauskee.
Wilmont Tribune: Jack Carey and Tom Hayes drove over to Adrian Saturday. Mr. Carey returned to Wilmont the same evening and Mr. Hayes took the train for Nebraska after a car load of horses, which he recently purchased.
Wilmont Tribune: A reunion of the Chautauqua Company Lodge was held at the residence of H. Peter Lewis last Sunday in honor of Mrs. Wetherel, of Estherville, who is visiting at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Lewis. Only members of the camp lodge were present and an enjoyable time was spent in reminisence of the many pleasant hours spent at the late camp at Worthington.
Little Dan Clement is sick with scarlet fever at the home of his grand parents, Senator and Mrs. Dan Shell.
W.G. Ramage and bride returned last Saturday from their wedding trip and will soon be at home to their friends.
H.F. Rockwell this week moved into the Matteson house, which he recently purchased and has had put in first class repair including papering and painting inside and out.
On Wednesday afternoon an interesting ceremony took place at the office of Judge J.S. Kies, when Mr. Amiel Ball and Miss Myrtle Myers of Spirit Lake, Ia., were married, the Judge officiating.
Jess Cross was up from Bigelow Monday.
Odin Jacobson was up from Bigelow Monday.
D.J. Chambers of Wilmont was in town Tuesday.
John Ackerman of Wilmont was in the city Wednesday.
W. Knuth, of Loraine, did trading in Worthington Saturday.

O.B. Thusen, of Bigelow township, was a caller last Saturday.
P.R. Long of Reading was in the city Monday transacted business.
Judge C.M. Cory has moved in to the house vacated by H.F. Rockwell.
E.J. Helmick came home last Friday and spent a couple of days with his family.
G.R. Shaw, of Rushmore, was a Worthington visitor the latter part of last week.
I.F. Kelley has sold the Hawley house to W.T. Hayes, a conductor on the Omaha line.
S.E. Beemis, of Estherville, Ia, now presides at the block in E.L. Nance's meat market.
W.T. Hayes has moved into the Hawley house which he recently purchased from I.F. Kelley.
Mrs. Calvin Moen returned last Saturday from a visit of several days with friends at Heron Lake.
H.T. Wasmund, of Dewald, did trading in Worthington last Saturday. He favored the Advance with a pleasant call.
J.J. Corbett of Streator, Ill., passed through the city Tuesday on his way to Wilmont to look after some farm property.
John Good, of Summit Lake township, transacted business at the county seat last Saturday and made this office a pleasant call.
Post Office Inspector H.O. Smith, of St. Paul, spent several days here this week checking up the postoffice business and visiting his friends, Postmaster Coughran.
Miss Eva Fairfield, the popular operator at the central office, was absent from her place a couple of days last week, having been confined to her home by illness.
The Christian Endeavor Society of the Christian church will give a social tomorrow, Saturday night, at the home of Mr. N.H. Austin. Refreshments will be served and a short program rendered.
A. Berger of Elk was in the city Monday on a trading trip.
J.W. Burkhardt of Dewald, was in town Tuesday on business.
Fred Cass of Summit Lake, was a Worthington visitor Tuesday.
L. Volberding of Dewald was in town Tuesday transacting business.
Henry Kunze, of Elk township was transacting business in the city Wednesday.
Miss Helen Smith visited with friends and relatives near Reading, over Sunday.
J.W. Pepple of the dispatchers office at St. James was here last Friday on a visit to his parents.
C.M. Holland and wife returned last Friday from Emmet, Idaho, where they spent the summer.
G.W. Wheeler, the Rushmore creamery man, was a business visitor in Worthington Saturday.
J. Burr Ludlow, of Rushmore was in Worthington Saturday night to hear Hon. J.T. McCleary talk on the issues of the present campaign.
OE. Slifer came in last Friday to receive a full blooded O.I.C. boar, bought at Chester, Iowa. Wilson Ager received a boar of that breed at the same time.
Prof. H.R. Edwards, Misses Brooks, Wicks and Conrad of the public school faculty are at Mankato attending the meeting of the Teachers' State Association.
Miss Frankie Clark, accompanied by Miss Maud Kellam, came down from Heron Lake last Friday and spent a couple of days visiting her parents, Dr. and Mrs. A.H. Clark. Miss Clark has taught in the Heron Lake schools a number of terms, and her work is giving eminent satisfaction.
Sheriff Newton Fauskee says that this week the county jail has reached high water mark for prisoners, there being now fourteen confined there. The latest arrivals are Acel Pierman, Sievert Poppen of Elk, and Herman Poppen, his son, of Summit Lake. The charge against the two latter is horse stealing and their arrests grew out of the Pierman case.
A new cement walk was installed the past week in front of I.W. Erickson's saloon. E. Cutler did the work.
Will Burchard, of the Worthington Creamery Co. left Tuesday night for the twin cities on business connected with the creamery.
The Ellsworth News last week reports births in the families of Rudolph Lentz, Oney Herding, John Crowley and Martin Reiter, all boys.
E.J. Wolven left Wednesday for Pecatonica, Ill., where he will be detained for a week or two on matters pertaining to the probate and district court.
B.F. Young returned Wednesday morning from Chicago, where he had marketed two carloads of lambs. He report securing a fair price and had a pleasant trip.
Miss Myrtle Stowell, a former resident of this place has accepted a position as traveling saleslady for the Bee Hive Store, Sioux Falls, handling a line of cloaks, skirts and ladies furnishings.
A.E. Smalley leaves today for Luverne to take charge of the Luverne Journal. Mr. Smalley is a practical printer and newspaper man and will no doubt make a success of the venture.
Will Levine has been nursing a very badly swollen hand the past week. A mere scratch at first, but which later gave evidence of a serious nature, started Bill for the "doctor's shop." Since then he has been carrying that member closely bandaged.

Friday, November 9, 1906

[The subjects of this article: George Gimberline, Thomas Foley, Acel Pierman, Joe Stearns, D.J. Gronwold, Chas. Blumeneau, Frank Timmons, D.E. & Nettie M. Harvey, and Mary E. & John Sowles. To view this article, please contact me, email below.]
Bride is Mrs. Edward Dolan, a Popular and Well Known Worthington Lady.
The many friends of the contracting parties will be interested in a social event which took place Wednesday at St. Paul Park, when Druggist R.L. Morland, a prominent business man of this city and president of the State Board of Pharmacy, was married to Mrs. Edward Dolan, a popular and well known lady, who has been a resident of Worthington for many years. The ceremony was celebrated at the home of the bride's parents. The Advance joins the many friends of the contracting parties in extending congratulations.
Suicide at Ellsworth.
Henry Siemer, a well known German farmer living three miles, north of Ellsworth, committed suicide by hanging on Wednesday morning. He climbed up a tree, fastened one end of a small rope to a branch, slipped the noose at the other end over his head and jumped off. He was not discovered until life was extinct. The coroner was called, but he decided an inquest was unnecessary. Mr. Siemer had been in poor health for some time, and melancholia brought on by this and business difficulties is held responsible for his rashness. He is the father of eleven children.
Elk Center
Mrs. J.J. Filbern who was called to Hancock, Minn., last week by the death of her daughter's baby, returned home Wednesday morning.
Mrs. Paul Schulz was taken suddenly ill Monday morning but is improving at this writing.
Mrs. A.G. Finckh and children visited at Primghar last week.
Mrs. A.M. Wells entertained relatives from Bigelow over Sunday.
Mr. and Mrs. Oberman were Elk visitors Tuesday.
A phone has recently been put in for Oran Williams.
Henry Apel Jr made a trip to the county seat Saturday.
Mrs. Thomas Hagge and daughter are visiting with friends in Iowa.
Mr. and Mrs. B.F. Young spent Sunday at J.F. Greens of Worthington township.
F.A. Lewis has moved down near Worthington on one of M. Sharp's farms.
Miss Mae Tupper of Worthington was a visitor at Miss Lyons school Tuesday.
Miss Addie Ely teacher of the school in Dist. No. 24 and the Misses Emma Hacker and Zetta Eshleman were also visitors of the school the same day.
Mrs. Robert Free is in Iowa visiting relatives and friends.
Route One.
Mrs. C.M. Smith is visiting friends at Graham and other points in Iowa.
Miss Cordie Ogg, is spending a few weeks with her old friends Mrs. F.E. Williams.
C.M. Holland who returned home from Emmet, Idaho a short time ago is sick with typhoid fever, he is being treated at the Manson hospital.
A Mr. Tipton, of Sheldon, Iowa, has rented Sec. 3, in Elk township, belonging to G.W. Patterson, and will go extensively into stock raising, one of the boy is here looking after a fine bunch of cattle which they have here now.
There is another patron on Route one, its a girl and she arrived Friday morning, and took up her residence with Mr. and Mrs. J.W. Nazarenus. Mother and daughter are doing nicely and the neighbors think that Joe will pull through.
From the Tribune:
Henry Shelquist and Sam Rind have the contract for the construction of the new telephone line running by the way of St. Kilian to Leota.
Webb Vincent, of Fort Dodge, Ia., Ned Jones of Worthington, and Edwin Brickson of Adrian, directors of the First National Bank of Wilmont, were in this city Tuesday.
The body of Mrs. Anna Holzmer was brought to this place from Brooks, Minn., for burial. The funeral was held at her home and the interment took place at St. Kilian on last Saturday.
From the Tribune:
J.R. Blue and daughter left Tuesday for Lyman County, S.D., to take up claims. They expected to be accompanied from Sioux Falls by Miss Dora Lackey.
Henry Bryngelson will move this week to Marshall County, Ia., where they formerly resided, and will take up his former occupation as a farmer.
He has sold his house in this village to Joseph Ebert, who expects to lease it in connection with his land north of town.
From the Enterprise.
Mrs. Louis Johnson went over to Worthington Monday with her 10-year old daughter who was operated on at the hospital at that place for appendicitis. The operation was performed Tuesday morning and the little girl is now getting along nicely.
S. Fagerness is building a new hog house, 24x40 on his farm. Mr. Fagerness is deeply interested in the breeding and raising of Poland China swine and is getting things in shape to go more extensively in the business.
Geo. Innes returned Saturday night from Iowa, where he had been for a week in the interest of his real estate business. Mr. Innes had done a good business in Canada land during the past season and predicts a larger volume of business for next year.
From the Signal:
Some of the people of this vicinity namely, Odin Jacobson, Thos. Nolan, Fred Lord, Michael Hand, Jess Cross and one of the Terhart boys, were summoned to Worthington Monday to give testimony in the case of the State of Minnesota vs D.J. Gronewold.
Miss Bessie B. Hubbard, who had visited at the home of her uncle F.T. Graves in Ransom township for several weeks, has returned to her home at Carthage, Mo.
Ralph Beckley, our butcher, was taken sick with some old trouble and went to his home in Worthington Thursday.
Mr. and Mrs. August Klessig moved their household goods to Worthington Friday and Saturday and are now nicely located in their new home. These people came from Wisconsin and settled on the farm near here immediately after they were married and have known no other home but this. They have seen this country pass form the broad expanse of wild prairie to one dotted with good substantial farm houses and productive farms. Here they passed through the dark days of the grasshopper times as well as many pleasant memories cluster around the hearthstone. Undoubtedly they will Miss heir old home but they will soon become accustomed to their new surroundings. They will be greatly missed from among us but all unite in wishing them many years of happy life in their new home.
Adrian Democrat: C.F. Becker writes from Yankton, S.D., to say that reports of the injuries he sustained by falling off the Great Northern train near Wilmar was greatly exaggerated. He says he was hurt, but not seriously, and was able to go to his home in Yankton soon after the accident.
A little child of Mr. Hans Halverson, living north of Windom, was drowned by falling into a jar of brine.
Local News.
W.C. Renshaw, of Rushmore, was in the city Monday.
Mrs. D.V. Lees and two children of Brewster, visited friends here Monday.
A. Oberman disposed of several good milch cows Monday to Geo. Yost, of Hersey township.
Benjamin F. Holland has been appointed postmaster at Kinbrae, vice L.F. Miller who resigned.
Editor Berkheimer, of the Wilmont Tribune, was a business visitor in Worthington, Saturday.
E.J. Brickson, cashier of the Adrian State Bank transacted business in the county last Saturday.
Miss Helen Smith left Tuesday for Anoka, where she will visit for several weeks with relatives and friends.
Miss Bertha Prerst, of St. Paul, is now engaged at the Biltgen and DeVaney's restaurant.
Nic Casareto, son and niece of Sibley, Iowa, visited here over Sunday with his brother, G.J. Casareto, and family. They returned home Monday afternoon.
Misses Edith and Emma Seline left for Luverne, Monday, where they visited several days with friends.
Miss Tina Miller, who has spent the past several months with her sister at Clarion, Iowa, returned Friday last.
Born - To Mr. and Mrs. W.C. Butcher, of Watertown, S. Dak., on Sunday, Nov. 4th, 1906, son. Mr. and Mrs. Butcher formerly resided in this city.
James Kitterman, engineer on the Omaha for a number of years, has resigned. He is undecided whether he will accept a run on the Canadian Pacific or some southern line.
Conductor Eddie Running has quit "running" on the Omaha line.
Foreman Alec Cree and force completed the work of putting in a purifying plant at LeMars, Ia., the latter part of last week.
Jim Baker, the pump man made four days' visit at Waterloo, Iowa, the past week.
Foreman Vere Hurlbert, of the bridge crew, has been busy the past week repairing the bridge between this point and Org, that was left in bad condition by the wreck several years ago.
Nickson, ex-conductor, baseball player and tabulated umpire, was in Worthington the past week greeting the R.R. boys. He was on his way to the coast.
Ole Marston, running on 33 and 34, is the proud possessor of a beautiful little daughter. Mr. and Mrs. Marston now reside at Sioux Falls.
Ren McCartney, the ex-baggage "smasher" at the passenger depot, vows that he has gained 12 pounds since taking up his new duties with the purifying plant force. And we believe the assertion judging from his physical make up.
Baggageman Wm. McKinney running on trains 15 and 16 carries one of his hands in a sling, having had the misfortune to get it caught between two trunks, splitting the bones of one finger. It is a very painful injury.
D. Cramer was in Round Lake, Friday.
John Exner, of Heron Lake, was a business visitor Friday last.
Fred Hunt, a mason from Sheldon Iowa, was in the city, Friday.
F.E. Judd, of Windom, was in the city on Friday of last week.
Mrs. S.A. Harding returned last week from her visit to her parents.
Rudolph Bird, of Bigelow, was a business visitor in Worthington Friday.
Will Bart, the cigar man, was disposing of his goods at Round Lake, Monday.
A.C. Leistico shipped a car of horses to the Chicago market on Friday of last week.
J.W. McBride moved into the Dohlheim property on Lake Street on Friday of last week.
Dow Mitchell is having the interior of his residence repapered and painted this week.
Mrs. Ed Fagerman of Sioux City spent a couple of days this week at the home of John Fitch.
Charles Loveless went to Minneapolis yesterday to consult a specialist in regard to some complaint.
A.F. Donaldson a brakeman on the Omaha had a foot badly hurt while at work in the railroad yard here last Friday.
Dr. Williams, of Wilmont, was in Worthington Friday. He caught the Omaha north bound passenger for the twin cities.
Born - To Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Nazarenus, residing in Summit Lake township, on Saturday morning Nov. 3, 1906, a 12 lb daughter.
Brakeman Stevens, who runs on No. 21 and 22, was quite badly hurt while at work near St. James Wednesday. He is at his home in this city.
Mrs. Oscar Hedwick, who recently moved here with her husband, is having a siege of typhoid fever. Mr. Hedwick is brakeman on the Omaha line.
C. Soderholm, of Reading, was a caller at the Advance office Monday, on his way home from a short visit with relatives at Triumph and Monterey, in Martin county.
Robert J. Brown, of Santa Marie, Cal., is visiting this week at the home of Mr. and Mrs. John Fitch. Mr. Brown is a nephew of Mrs. Fitch and formerly resided here.
The Nobles County Medical Club held a meeting in this city last Friday. Dr. Kilvington of Dundee and Dr. N.J. Nasse, of Brewster were the out of town doctors in attendance. Several papers were read, and profitable meeting is reported.
A sister of Mrs. Cameron is visiting in the city this week.
Emory Hactor, of Indian Lake township, is on the sick list this week.
August Wilson of Lorain township, was a business visitor here Friday.
Percy Rose left Thursday morning for Bemidji where he will spend the winter.
M. Gregerson has made arrangements to handle hay the coming season for a Chicago firm.
F.F. Graves a prominent resident of Ransom township was in the city on business last Saturday.
Mrs. M.A. Wilburn of Sibley, visited over Sunday with her daughter Mrs. F.M. Hickman.
Jones Bros. of Lorain township, delivered large consignment of grain to the Skewis Grain Co. the past week on contract.
Frank Sauter and wife of Edgerton spent Saturday and Sunday visiting at the home of their uncle, County Supt. Abbott.
J.D. Humiston disposed of one of his thoroughbred milch cows the latter part of last week, Martin Gregerson being the purchaser.
Mr. Fanberg, a former resident of this county, but now located at Windom, visited at the home of August Wilson and family over Sunday.
Will Hansberger is engaged in buying baled hay for W.P. Devery and Co., Minneapolis. His barns are located at 12th street and 2nd avenue.
James Mackay and J.S. Ramage of this city, accompanied by Will Gullick, of Reading departed Wednesday morning for Hinckley where they will join a party of deer hunters.
Mr. Engstrom, who had the misfortunes to break his leg while running a binder during the harvest season, is reported as getting along nicely. Since the misfortune he has been confined at the home of J. DeBorg, in this city.
C.M. Cory moved Saturday into the Peter Thompson residence on 9th street, recently vacated by Mr. Rockwell. The E.F. Buchan property which Mr. Cory vacated will, we learn, be occupied by the families of Rev. G.A. Cahoon and William Jones.
County Attorney C.M. Crandall had official business at St. Paul this week.
Vernon Anderson and wife, of Brewster, did shopping in the hub Friday last.
C.R. Wakefield, of the Omaha office force, spent Sunday visiting at St. James.
Wm. Wickstrom, of Bigelow township is reported seriously ill with appendicitis.
Pat Silver, the tonsorial artist of Brewster, was shaking hands with Worthington friends Friday.
Mr. Connolly and family, of Org, visited with Martin Gregerson and family, of this city, over Sunday.
Mrs. Edward Manuel, of Brewster, was calling on friends and acquaintances in Worthington, Friday.
John Lackey, of Sioux Falls, S.D., spent several days the latter part of last week and first of this with friends here.
Frank Lyon and Art Wilson loaded several cars of choice upland hay for the Minneapolis market the latter part of last week.
Fred Dohlheim and roy Fitch returned from Hartley, Iowa, Friday where they had been with a number of western horses for I.F. Kelley.
Will Oliver delivered several loads of fine new seed corn, raised on his farm north of town, to F.C. Stitser, on Saturday of last week.
Invitations are out announcing the forthcoming marriage of Mr. C.C. Langseth of Indian Lake to Miss Minnie Haggard, of Worthington.
William Guyse and Sons completed the mason work on a large new dwelling for J.A. Gardiner, in Graham Lakes township the past week, returning home Saturday. They expect to remain here for a long siege of work accumulated during their absence.
Albert Leistico made a trip to Chicago, Saturday, to dispose of a carload of draft horses shipped there several days previous. He returned Wednesday.
Henry Holmes and wife, of Graham Lakes township, were in Worthington several days the latter part of last week, on matters pertaining to the district court.
James Hogan returned home from Drinkwater, Assiniboia, Canada, the latter part of last week, where he had been during the past summer.
I.T. Branigan, a former business man of Worthington, but now engaged in the mercantile trade at Edna Iowa, spent several days in Worthington the latter part of last week.
Mrs. W.H. Johnson left Saturday for Lakefield to join her husband who had preceded her. Mr. Johnson has a lucrative position as pharmacist in a drug store at that burg.
Maurice Maxwerll, of Ballard Wash., is visiting in the city this week. He came to accompany Mrs. Maxwell, who has spent several week here, back home.
Anna Olson, who had been confined to her room at the home of Otto Leabeck with typhoid fever for the past several weeks, recovered sufficiently to return to her home at Reading, Saturday.
John and Frank Hornstine, who have been working their father's farm in Wilkins county the past season, returned home the latter part of last week, having rented the land for the coming season to a party from Iowa.
Rock Island Passenger Train is Wrecked Near Ellsworth Saturday.
Ten Badly Injured -- Score More Hurt -- Coaches Upset and Roll Into Ditch.
Luverne, Minn., Nov. 3. -- A Rock Island passenger train bound to Sioux Falls, S.D., from Chicago, was derailed three miles west of Ellsworth at 7:30 o'clock this evening, and was thrown down a 12 foot embankment, injuring ten passengers seriously and inflicting slight injuries and bruises on twenty more. The wreck was caused by a spreading of the rails from an unknown cause.
The seriously injured:
Frank M. Brown, Montpelier, Vt., cut about head and injured internally.
Charles Shade, Rock Rapids, Iowa back and side badly hurt, head but and several ribs broken.
Miss Sadie Kramer, Sioux Falls, S.D., face badly cut, injured internally.
Philip Marshall, Chicago, head cut and back injured.
Arthur Page, Des Moines, Iowa traveling man, injured internally and about the head.
John Whitney, Rock Rapids, Iowa, badly cut about the head.
Mrs. Savage, Rock Rapids, Iowa, back, head and body hurt and injured internally.
Two little boys belonging to Mrs. Savage; one three years old, hurt seriously; the other seven, slightly injured.
Mrs. W.H. Bowers, Rock Rapids, Iowa, back hurt and head cut.
Eight year old son of Mrs. Bowers, fatally injured.
Six year old daughter of Mrs. Bowers slightly injured.
The regular passenger train had been cut into at Ellsworth in order to run a special to Luverne and the train that was wrecked was made only of one day coach and a baggage coach. There were forty passengers in the day coach.
The train was running at high speed after leaving Ellsworth. Nearing that place where the train was wrecked, the engineer thought that the track looked a little peculiar, but decided that it was only an optic illusion. When the rain came to where the rails spread it was going with undiminished speed.
Suddenly there was a creaking of bolts and the coaches gave a lung, jumped the track and bumped along on the ties, breaking the windows in the cars, loosening the seats and creating a panic among the passengers. Almost instantly the coaches gave a second lunge and were precipitated twelve feet below into a gravel pit.
The passenger coach turned over, pinning several passengers to the ground and hurling others with great violence against the sides of the coach.
Special trains were run from Ellsworth and Rock Rapids to the scene of the wreck, and the injured were hurried to hospitals and private homes, where they received medical attention. All of the Rock Rapids people who were injured were taken to their homes, while the others were taken to Ellsworth. Marshall Paige and Miss Kramer were taken to Luverne.
While at least ten of the passengers were seriously injured, it is not known whether their injuries will prove fatal or not. However, it is stated that the eight year old son of Mrs. W.H. Bowers of Rock Rapids was so badly injured internally that he cannot recover.
Some of the passengers escaped with apparently no injuries.

Friday, November 16, 1906

Birthday Club.
The Birthday Club was entertained on Tuesday afternoon Mrs. Calvin Moen. All members were present besides a number of special guest. The afternoon was spent in games and contest of several kinds, winding up with an auction that produced an unusual amount of merriment. Dainty refreshments were served at 5. Mrs. Moen was presented with a set of Haviland china cups and saucers as a pleasant reminder of the occasion.
High School Reception.
The Senior and Junior class of the High School were given a reception last Tuesday evening, at the home of Mr. and Mrs. R.H. Patterson, by Miss Ethel and Mr. Lloyd Patterson and Miss Julia Town. Games of various kinds were indulged in for some, after which refreshments were served.
Mr. Clarence C. Langseth and Miss Minnie Haggard Married on Wednesday Evening.
On Wednesday evening, November 14, 1906, at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Haggard occurred the marriage of their daughter Minnie to Mr. Clarence C. Langseth, Rev. Edwin W. Lanham of this city officiating. The ceremony was performed in the presence of party of about 60 relatives and friends of the two families.
At 7 o'clock Miss Ellen Langseth played Bellman's grand march while the bridal couple took their place under a wreath of myrtle and orange blossoms.
Miss Mary Haggard was maid of honor and the groom was attended by his brother Oscar.
After the ceremony a bounteous wedding supper was served, in the preparation of which Mrs. Haggard did credit to her self as an accomplished cuisine. The house was tastefully decorated with evergreen and smilax. The bride was attired in a gown of white pongee silk, trimmed with lace, and wore a veil.
The gifts to the bride were numerous, consisting of silverware, house furnishings, toilet articles, etc. The young couple have gone to housekeeping in a pleasant home on the groom's farm on the banks of lake Ocheda. The Advance joins their host of friends in extending congratulations.
[If you would like more info about this article, contact the webmaster (email at bottom).]
Art Sale.
I will hold an Art and Fancy work sale in the Wilson building next to Harry Lewis Grocery story [store?] on Thursday Friday and Saturday, Dec. 6, 7, and 8. You will find a good collection of hand painted pictures in oil and water color and numerous articles in burnt wood and needle work.
Luelle C. Hansberger.
Local News.
J.G. Murphy, of Adrian, Sundayed in Worthington.
A.C. Leistico shipped a car of cattle to Sioux City Monday.
Schultz the harnessmaker, was on the sick list last Saturday.
L.C. Harris is pulling the wax ends in Schultz's harness shop.
John Sweeney of Bigelow township was in the city Monday on business.
Geo. Hasting of Worthington township was in the city last Friday on a trading trip.
Mrs. R.P. Dorgan returned last Friday from a visit to Chicago and other points east.
John Carstens, of Fulda, was a business visitor in this city on Monday of this week.
The Misses Emma and Edith Seline returned from a visit at Luverne Sunday evening.
Mrs. W.W. Loveless and Mrs. W.M. Evans spent last Saturday in Sioux City on a shopping trip.
Jas. J. Gust, a prominent citizen of Slayton, was a Worthington visitor on Friday of last week.
Miss Flora Addy, of Otonowa, Iowa, is visiting with friends and relatives in Worthington this week.
O. Malone, of Crystal Lake, Neb. was looking after his land interest in this city the forepart of the week.
Conductor Horton moved into the house recently vacated by Mr. Howard and family, on third avenue, the past week.
W. McGowan, Sam Fosse and Fred Leistico of the Omaha came home Saturday night to spend Sunday with friends and associates.
John Feltman, of Humbolt, S.D., a former Worthingtonian passed through the city Monday on his way to the twin cities and Chicago for a several weeks visit with relatives.
W.M. Hinrichs returned from his trip to Milestone, Canada, the latter part of last week. He is very much pleased with the outlook of that country and reports the crop yield exceptionally good.
Ole Noren and son returned from Drinkwater Assiniboia, Canada, Sunday. Ole has a choice claim there and just completed threshing out a good crop of small grain. He speaks in glowing terms of that country.
Mrs. Emma Peters left Monday for Livingston, Mont., to join her husband who had proceeded here. She expects to visit friends and relatives several days in the twin cities before her departure for her western home. Mr. Peters is engaged with the N.P. road as boiler maker.
Mike Sorem was up from Bigelow one day last week attending to business matters.
Chris Hansen was over from the county seat Friday between trains visiting with relatives and friends.
Annie Johnson, daughter of Louis Johnson, who was operated on for appendicitis at Worthington by Dr. Walker and Dr. Geyerman, returned home Tuesday much improved in health.
Wm. Smith, who was injured last week in a runaway is rapidly recovering and will soon be at work again.
The dance given last Saturday evening at the home of Wm. Reckhover was well attended and a good time enjoyed by everyone.
From the Enterprise:
E.J. Jones county attorney elect, made The Enterprise a pleasant call last Saturday while on his wya to Adrian on business.
Received too late for last week.
There was a few of the Org young people that went to Worthington to hear the Chicago Glee Club last Tuesday evening among which were, John E. Johnson, Miss Rose Bucknole, Miss Reka Johnson, Art Bjornstad and Miss Ida Bjornstad.
Miss Mable King went to St. Paul last Sunday to spend a couple of weeks in the city.
Mr. and Mrs. Fred Johnson went to Reading last Saturday to spend Sunday with their son and his family. They expected to go to Kenneth on Monday.
Mr. and Mrs. Hugh Mitchell entertained The Merry Go Round last Friday evening. Amusements were furnished until a late hour when supper was served and everyone departed saying they had a good time.
Mr. Fred Johnson returned home last Wednesday from his visit at Reading and Kenneth. Mrs. Johnson expects to stay another week.
Miss Chole Anderson went to Worthington last Monday. She expects to stay in town most all winter.
Katie Rabenberg was home a few days last week. She is staying in Worthington.
Miss Amy Olson has returned home from North Dakota, she has taken up a homestead at Braddock N.D.
From the Leader:
Mr. Rusho, of Wilmont, who has purchased the meat market of Will Higgins, was in town Monday. He expects to move his family here as soon as he can secure a suitable place.
The old livery barn will soon be undergoing extensive repairs and improvements. Mr. Higgins who has purchased the building intends to make the barn convenient and roomy.
Born - To Mr. and Mrs. John Terhark on Saturday, Nov. 3, a fine son and heir. John and his good wife are happy.
One day last week while Jake Brink was watering a span of ponies belonging to Gene Smith, one of the frisky little fellows turned and kicked him [in] the face. Fortunately Jake was not hurt very badly, though the pony drew the first blood. The kick will leave a mark on Jake's face for a few days, probably that will be about the worst that will come of it.
From the Democrat:
Theo. Duwenhoegger of St. Kilian brought his father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. William Duwenhoegger, and his brother, Tony, down from St. Kilian Wednesday for a few days visit with friends. They expect to leave tomorrow for Germany for an extended visit.
Miss Mathilda Uthe, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frank C. Klosterman were married at St. Adrian's church, Tuesday morning, November 6th. The ceremony, which was performed by Rev. Fr. Schels, was witnessed by many of the relatives and friends of the bride and groom.
W.R. Mansel returned Saturday from a seven week's sojourn on the Pacific coast. On his wya out he stopped at Spokane for a few days and then went to Seattle and Tacoma.
From the Signal:
A young son took up a residence at the home of John Terhart on Saturday night. John is wearing his honors with becoming dignity.
Ralph Beckley has recovered from his recent illness sufficiently so as he is found behind the counter at the meat market waiting on the trade as usual.
R.H. Wicks had two wagon loads of apples hauled down from Worthington Friday and Saturday. They were of the Ben Davis variety of fine quality.
Mr. and Mrs. Henry Klessig, and Mr. and Mrs. Rudolph Kielsemeier visited at the home of Mr. and Mrs. August Klessig at Worthington Sunday. Mr. and Mrs. Kielsemeier are making preparations to go to Wisconsin to make their home in the near future.
Round Lake.
From the Graphic:
Miss Anna Walker returned last Friday from Brewster, where she had been a guest at the home of her sister Mrs. Reistroffer.
We are in receipt of a copy of the Atlantic Daily News, printed on board the steamship "Kaiserin Auguste Victoria," and sent us by Dr. Henry Wideow, who, with his wife, emarked [sic] on this vessel for America October 25. Marconigrams are received from the shore and published in the sheet.
C.J. Anderson has been hauling out lumber to his farm this week for the construction of his new barn. Julius Palm and his assistants came down from Worthington Monday and began work on the structure.
From the News:
The private car of Superintendent C.J. Wilson, of the Rock Island, was here from Estherville, last Sunday and remained until Monday morning. The officials who accompanied the car up here were: Mr. Wilson, Claim Agents D.W. Albright and John Rudd, and W.I. Hope, trainmaster, and they spent the day at the scene of the wreck.
Attorney J.A. Cashel came over from Worthington, Saturday evening and visited until Monday with his sister, Miss Clara Cashel, and aunt Mrs. Susan Flynn. J.A. has many friends here who are always glad to shake his mitt.
O.D. Bryan and wife and Mrs. Bryan's father, Chas. Sprague, were called to Harris, Iowa, Tuesday by a message announcing the death of the latter's son, A.C. Sprague, who passed away after two years illness.
From the Tribune:
John G. Mitchell and Ira Mishler were up from Worthington Wednesday on business. Mr. Mishler, who has served as a deputy sheriff for many years, came up to serve some legal papers.
Route One.
Juliul Palm and crew was up the first of the week doing some work for Mr. Shanks.
Charlie Sowles is putting in a cistern for A. Nazarenus this week.
Bud Thompson of Worthington has been running the engine for E.A. Granell for the last five days.
R.E. Darling of Elk township delivered three hogs to the Worthington market Tuesday that brought him $76.72.
Miss Anna Nazarenus, is in Watertown, S.D., where she has a position in the Arcade Hotel.
The Carrier most heartily thanks Miss Retta DeWitt for those fine cabbages.
H.A. Eversole has the material on the ground for a commodious set of buildings to be erected at once on the northeast quarter section 26 Elk township owned by W.M. Evans which Mr. Eversole will occupy. Sam Swanson and crew will do the work.
We are glad to learn that C.M. Holland is improving and expects to be out and home again in a few days.
Mrs. A.M. Berry returned home last Friday evening from Lexington, Ill., where she had been for the last five weeks helping to wait on her mother who has been very sick at that place, but was some better when she left.
Miss Mary Mitchell is enjoying a months vacation from her school duties.
Misses Rose Bucknole and Emma Thueson spent last Sunday in Worthington.
Mr. and Mrs. Axel Wass from Indian Lake township, visited at the home of O.B. Thueson and family last Sunday.
Little Tom Stevenson came up from Bigelow one day last week and visited at the home of his uncle, H.L. Glick.
D. Behrens was in town Monday doing trading.
Herman Doeden of Route 2 was a caller last Friday.
Ray Erwin is now employed in the Ideal restaurant.
Teddy Ostrom spent Sunday with his parents at Adrian.
Frank McGowan, of Elk, did trading in Worthington, Saturday.
F. Schaefer of Route 1 transacted business in town last Saturday.
Born -- On Nov. 8th 1906, to Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Nystrom, a son.
C.M. Smith of Worthington township was in the city Saturday.
Miss Laura Cain, of Bigelow, was visiting friends here Saturday.
S.P. Bliss of Sioux Falls was a business visitor here Saturday last.
Miss Mary Fitch left on Monday to begin a term of school in Indian Lake.
Auren Williams of Worthington township was in Saturday doing trading.
C.R. Larson of Indian Lake transacted business in town last Saturday.
Jacob Struble, of Graham Lakes, township did trading in Worthington Saturday.
A.W. Wells, of Brewster, was transacted business in this city Friday last.
R.L. Morland and bride returned last Sunday morning from their wedding trip.
A.J. Kannal and Son have the contract for the interior painting of the city hall.
Ernest Foelschow disposed of his fine driving horse the latter part of last week to Rev. Swan.
Minor arrival at the home of Dr. Saxon -- Oct. 29th, an 8 lb. boy. Mother and son doing well.
W.O. Dwyer of Loraine, was in the city on business last Saturday. He made this city a pleasant call.
E.L. Nance returned last week from western Nebraska where he invested in a large tract of land.
A.C. Leistico shipped four cars loads of cattle and sheep to the Chicago markets Saturday of last week.
Rev. McIntosh, former pastor of the Congregational church here, is reported to be seriously ill at his home in Wisconsin.
The ladies of the Christian church will give a tea at the home of Mrs. Z.M. Smith next Wednesday afternoon. All are invited.
E.M. Dewey of Loraine was a caller on Tuesday.
The Tourist club met with Mrs. G.W. Roth Monday evening.
Fred Cass of Summit Lake was in the city on business Monday.
J.I. Johnson of Route 5 was in town Wednesday doing trading.
G. Estes of Elk transacted business at the county capital Monday.
A.J. Corell of Loraine marketed hay in Worthington last Tuesday.
Attorney J.F. Flynn visited in Ellsworth a couple of days this week.
Col. J.A. Town had legal business at Mankato Tuesday and Wednesday.
Banker C.T. Tupper was out Wednesday morning trying the new sleighing.
Miss M.J. Fahy was called to St. Paul Tuesday to attend the funeral of a friend.
Clerk of Court Humiston has received the new records and blanks for naturalization purposes.
Robert R. Smith of the Smith Implement Co., transacted business in the twin cities last week.
Attorney J.F. Flynn made a business trip to Adrian last week in company with G.W. Patterson.
A.M. Renner, the genial manager of the Western Implement Co., made a business trip to Heron Lake on Tuesday.
Aug Seil of St. Paul, arrived last week and will spend the winter here with his brother-in-law, Albert Schmidt, the shoeman.
Conductor E.M. Horton, of the Mitchell limited, is taking a layoff. Conductor A.H. Rice is on he run during Mr. Horton's vacation.
Mrs. T.C. Ely left on Friday for a visit with her son, and other relatives at Rock Rapids, Iowa. She will be absent several weeks.
Luverne Herald: W.V. Olin, accompanied by his wife, went to Worthington Friday to accept a position in the mechanical department of the Globe.
Editor Bert Miller of Luverne Herald, passed through here last week on his way to the northern woods to spend some time recuperating his health and hunting deer.
The Euchre Club met on Monday afternoon at the home of Mrs. G.W. Roth. Mrs. Messer carried off first honors and Mrs. Fox the consolation prize. Dainty refreshments were served.
F.C. Stitser returned last Saturday from St. Paul, where he spent several days buying a line of fur coats. His stock is now in and is attracting much favorable attention.
John Hogan of Turtle Lake, Wis., passed through Worthington last week on his way home from Kansas City, and stopped off a day to visit at the home of his uncle, Christ Hogan.
The board of county canvassers met on Monday to canvas the returns of the late election. J.G. Murphy of Adrian and J.S. Randolph were among the out of town members of the board.
An outfit of movers with four covered wagons stock and farm machinery, passed through Worthington Monday. They hailed from the northern part of the state and were bound for Oklahoma.
Albert Arends, aged about 85, died at the home of his son, Benjamin, in Dewald township, last Thursday morning, Nov. 8th. He was born in Neermor, Germany, and came to this country in 1850.
J.A. Albert, of Luverne, H.F. Rockwell and Leonard Huston, returned from a weeks hunting trip at Ocheda, Monday. They claim 151 ducks 16 jack rabbits and a weasel as the trophies of their chase and aquotic [sic] proclivities.
Hans Grytdohl, the Globe typo, was arrested Wednesday at the instance of Editor Berkheimer, on a charge of disorderly conduct, and on Thursday morning was given his choice of paying a fine of $10 and costs or spending ten days in jail. He was committed to the lockup.
Foreman Mark Marden and crew finished the new work on bridges 27 and 28 last week and are now engaged on 35.
"Jim" Baker, the pump man, and wife, returned from their visit at Waterloo, Iowa, the latter part of last week.
Merle Hurlbert and crew are engaged in light repair work on the Sioux Falls branch.
Alex Cree and force are putting in a purifying plant at Sheldon this week.
A brother of M.P. Mann, of Windom, it is stated, will have charge of the pumping station as soon as connections are made and the work completed.
Local News.
Alex Wilson of Loraine was in town Wednesday doing trading. Mr. Wilson says his threshing company completed their run for the season last Saturday. The past fall has been very unfavorable for threshermen, and there is still considerable gain to thresh.
Mrs. Rachel Harding, one of the most successful poultry raisers in this vicinity brought in to the Worthington Creamery Co. three dozen spring chickens, weighing an average of 6 1/2 pounds each; this certainly shows what good care will do for poultry. This was the finest lot ever marketed here.
Luverne Journal: On Monday of this week, occurred the marriage of Miss Adaline Fassett, of this place to Mr. Theodore Aushem, of Round Lake this state. Both the bride and groom have been employed at the "Eureka" Dairy Farm for the past few months and their acquaintances was of short duration, which is an indication that it is simply another case of "love at first sight." The Journal wishes Mr. and Mrs. Aushem happiness, success and prosperity.
From the Tribune:
Miss Mildred Lewis, who is attending school at Worthington, was an over Sunday visitor with her parents, returning home Monday morning.
The little son of Mr. and Mrs. Knutson had the misfortune to swallow a pin Saturday morning. The little fellow has experienced no discomfort from it as yet and it is hoped that he will not.
On Thursday, Nov. 1, the separator belonging to Carl Umberson of Iona, caught fire while in operation and burned to the ground. Also a setting of oats belonging to Nels Erickson.
Attorney J.J. Parsons of Worthington, was doing some work in Wilmont in behalf of his client, Barney Jagger, Friday and Saturday.
Route One.
Mr. Debear is going to move on the old Foot place east of town in the spring as the farm he is on has been sold.
Mrs. E.O. Fields left Saturday to visit her parents at Little Rock, and other relatives and friends.
Charles Glovka is contemplating moving on a farm near Lismore, this fall.

Friday, November 23, 1906

New Band.
A brass band was organized in this city last week under the direction of Prof. Wilson Abbott, who came over from Luverne for the purpose. The new organization has a membership of about 30, and starts out under very favorable auspices.
The following are the officers: President, Henry Moeller, Secretary Dr. W.J. Dodge; treasurer, J.M. Addington; instructor and leader, Prof. Wilson Abbott. The band will meet on Monday and Thursday evenings for practice.
A good band is an institution Worthington has needed for long time, and the boys should be given every possible encouragement.
Col. J.N. Holbrook, the Auctioneer, Alleged to Have Left For Parts Unknown.
Considerable of a scandal was stirred up this week by the rumor that Col. J.N. Holbrook, the well known auctioneer, had eloped with Mrs. Will Thompson, the wife of the proprietor of the Ideal restaurant. As verification of the rumor the pair have been seen together at Sioux Falls, Mitchell and other points in South Dakota.
Some time ago Mrs. Thompson became dissatisfied with her domestic relations, and demanded of her husband a division of the property, saying she was going to leave him. The demand was complied with and Mrs. Thompson left, ostensibly for Illinois, to visit relatives, but in reality going only as far as Sibley, where it is alleged she was joined later by Mr. Holbrook.
A baggageman who runs on the Sioux Falls branch of the Omaha line, says he met the pair face to face on the streets of Mitchell Monday, and as he personally knew both parties there was no mistake as to identity. Other parties who knew them had seen them at other points in South Dakota. Mr. Thompson is greatly enraged over the escapade of the pair, and threatens dire vengeance on the man he regards as the despoiler of his home.  From evidence that has accumulated the past week it is apparently a clear case of elopement, carefully planned beforehand, and it does not seem possible at this time that the pair can return and render an acceptable explanation of their conduct. Both leave a spouse and grown up children, and their conduct seems inexplicable. The South Dakota authorities have been notified to be on the lookout for the pair and they will undoubtedly be apprehended and punished if they have been guilty of any wrong doing. Mr. Holbrook left some unfulfilled professional engagements, which caused considerable inconvenience to the parties interests.
The home of Mr. and Mrs. Bish, in Clary addition, was the scene of a pretty home wedding on Wednesday afternoon, when their daughter, Frobie, was married to Mr. John Kraft, of Brewster. The ceremony was performed by the pastor of the German Lutheran church in the presence of a large company of relatives and friends. The contracting parties are estimable young people and have a large circle of friends, whom we join in extending congratulations.
Miss Louisa Albert, of Round Lake, and Mr. Herman Layman, of Loraine, were married on Wednesday of this week.
Business Failure
Edwin G. Edwards, a merchant of Rushmore, through his attorney, R.V. Lewis, of Wilmont, Wednesday filed a petition in bankruptcy with Deputy Clerk A.O. Eberhart, of the United States district court at Mankato. Liabilities, $2,075.72; secured, $1,000; assets, $460; exemptions, $100.
From the News:
Albert Wilson arrived Friday last from his home at Trenton, New York, on a visit to his brother Tom of this place and his mother at Rock Rapids. It is the first time that the brothers have met in eleven years and they are have[ing] a most enjoyable visit.
John Nevens, who is here from Louisville, Ky., on a visit to his brothers, Nick and Peter, and looking after business matters, has disposed of his farm east of town to an Iowa party, consideration $60.00 per acre. He purchased a small farm in southern Indiana and will move from Louisville in the spring.
From the Enterprise:
S.B. Bedford was at Adrian Wednesday afternoon attending a meeting of the stockholders of the Adrian State Bank.
Miss Helen Ludlow returned to her home at Worthington on Monday after a week's visit with Mr. and Mrs. J.B. Ludlow.
Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Malmquist are rejoicing over the arrival of a baby boy at their home, the little fellow's advent into this world dating from Tuesday, Nov. 1.
Arthur Dahlberg and Miss Lulu Newton were married on Wednesday Nov. 14 at the home of the bride's mother in Adrian. They returned to Rushmore today and will go to housekeeping in rooms over the old restaurant building.
The Innes Thom Co., is the name of the firm that will succeed the Innes Lumber Co. The new firm is composed of Geo. Innes and W.C. Thom, Mr. Thom having purchased Will Innes' interest in the business mention of which was made in these column[s] several weeks ago.
Sheriff Fauskee was over from Worthington on official business yesterday afternoon.
Gus Gullick, of Little Rock township, met with an accident Monday evening that will lay him up for sometime. He was on his way home from Bigelow and had a big load of coal on his wagon and stopped at his mail box to get his mail when his team took fright and started to run, dragging him under the wagon, breaking one arm and a rib or two.
Nobles County Democrat:
Frank McFarlin and W.R. Grapes returned Saturday morning from Rochester. Mr. McFarlin was operated upon a few days before for the removal of what appeared to be a growth on the jaw, but the surgeons pronounced the trouble tuberculosis of the glands, and the operation consisted merely of removing the pus.
F.E. McLean was called to St. Paul Tuesday night on account of his daughter, Kathryn. She was operated upon yesterday for appendicitis.
Mrs. C. Stemig, of Grand Prairie returned last week from the hospital at Rochester, where she submitted to an operation. She is slowly recovering and will no doubt completely regain her health.
George Slade is in the wholesale moving roller business. He recently shipped in from his farm at Birchwood, Wisconsin, a carload of rollers to be used in moving building. Traveling men are selling the rollers as a side line and have already sent Mr. Slade several profitable orders. The rollers sell in wholesale lots at $1.00 each.
J.C. Becker, who has been enjoying his annual deer hunt in Itasca county, is expected home in a few days.
Alfred Jacobson has been picking corn for Lars Olson the last two weeks.
Pete Ledine has been pretty busy this fall digging out a skunk from under the house on Sec. 23 but it is very few who believe the story.
Ed Moberg sold a load of hay last week at Worthington.
E.L. Patterson left last Sunday for Illinois to attend the funeral of a friend.
From the Signal:
Joe Hand was in Sibley, Ia., friends afternoon. Joe is thinking some of making that town his headquarters in the near future. If he does his sister, Mrs. Guertin, will move to that place in order for Joe to make his home with her.
Mr. and Mrs. Will DeVaney drove down from Worthington on Friday afternoon of last week and spent the time until Saturday morning at the home of Mr. and Mrs. John Salstrom. They returned to their home in the rain and snow storm Saturday morning.
Ralph Beckly went to Worthington Saturday night to spend Sunday with his relatives. On Monday afternoon Mr. Ostrom received a letter from his mother which stated that Ralph had been taken seriously ill on Sunday morning and was unable to return to Bigelow at this time.
From the Tribune:
The officers of the Presbyterian church have made an arrangement with Rev. Hunter, whereby he will remain here for a year, and at the end of that time he will probably be installed as permanent pastor of the church. Mr. Hunter's family will arrive here from North Carolina about the first of December, and will take up their residence at the Manse.
Albert Smith has leased S.M. Stewart's farm on Section 4, Loraine, and will move there as soon as the place is vacated by J.R. Blue and family. At last reports Mr. Blue had not decided what he would do.
From the Tribune:
Mrs. August Pohlman and son Joe were out riding Sunday when their team became frightened at a dog and ran away. The team started to run at the Henry Teitenberg place and were not stopped until they reached the Rogers place. The tongue of the buggy was broken and the buggy upset. Fortunately no one was hurt.
Mr. C.A. Kinsey and family of Adrian, were Wilmont visitors over Sunday. Their automobile broke down in some manner and they were compelled to stay until Tuesday before they could get the gas horse in shape to travel.
Mrs. Erickson of Worthington, visited at the Montgomery home for a few days. She returned to her home on Tuesday.
Sam Ren and Henry Shelquist commenced work on the new telephone line Wednesday morning.
From the Leader:
Miss Mae VanRossum, who is attending high school at Adrian, spent Saturday and Sunday at her home in this city.
J.J. Bach and crew finished building a new house for G. Zeitler, Saturday. It will be remembered that the old house was struck by lightning, this summer, and burned.
Round Lake.
From the Graphic:
Mrs. B.C. Brayton and sister, Miss Florence Barber, stopped off here Tuesday evening on their way to Worthington from Estherville, Iowa, where they had been visiting with relatives.
Mr. and Mrs. H.R. Tripp and two youngest children were up to Worthington Tuesday, to look up a dwelling house preparatory to moving to the county seat.
N.H. Elliott was down from the county seat last Saturday and cried F.E. Scott's sale, consisting principally of household goods. The attendance was good and practically every article sold well.
Mrs. Henry Metzger departed yesterday afternoon for Pataskala, Ohio, on an extended visit with relations. She will probably remain thru the winter at her old Ohio home. Henry will likely keep batch while his wife is away.
Wedding invitation[s] are being received by relations and friends of Prof. Clyde S. Jones and Miss Bessie L. Tripp, whose marriage will be solemnized at high noon, Thanksgiving day, November 29.
Invitations are out announcing the coming marriage on the 21st of this month of Mr. Herman Lehmann, of Ewington township, and Miss Louise Albert, of this township. The ceremony is to begin at 2:30 o'clock p.m.
Mrs. Fred Johnson returned home, last Tuesday, from her extended visit at Reading and Kenneth.
Mr. Kunze shipped five carloads of sheep from here last Saturday evening.
A little eight pound boy arrived at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Ben Graff last Monday. Ben has reason to wear a broad smile now.
Mr. C. Borst shipped one car of cattle and hogs from this place last Wednesday evening.
Miss Chloe Anderson was home a little while last Sunday.
Route One.
Jet Darling drove down to Worthington Wednesday.
F.A. Matheson, of Hersey township, left Tuesday for the northern part of the state on a business and pleasure trip.
The house on the W.M. Evans farm in Elk is enclosed. The boys are making good time considering the cold weather.
Mrs. H.G. Kuehne of Chicago, was visiting with Mrs. Wm. Apel Jr., the early part of the week.
Mrs. Henry Kunze has the thanks of the carrier and family for the nice fat chicken, nicely dressed, which he found awaiting him at her mail box, Wednesday morning. If it had only been cooked; yum! yum! He assures the good lady that such tokens of kindness are duly appreciated.
The smiling face of R.E. Davis, the genial carrier on No. 5, was seen on No. 1 Tuesday afternoon. He was up after a load of hay and judging from the amount scattered along the road, we presume he hadn't much left on the wagon when he got home.
The Patterson-Leinen sale was held on Wednesday. There was a fair crowd and things sold well. Mr. Leinen expressed his satisfaction, everything advertised having been sold.
Car repairer Lawson was in Brewster, Tuesday, repairing several smashed cars.
Hugh Palmer, ex-conductor on the Omaha, of St. James visited with railroad friends here the middle of last week.
B.F. Tanner, brakeman on the Omaha, has resigned his position and will attend the university, at Mitchell S.D., the coming term.
Operator Chas. B. Fairfield has taken Ted Hale's berth at Prairie Junction, the change being made Monday. Mr. Hale will take several month's vacation.
J.W. Baker and A.B. Montgomery were engaged in pipe work in the Sioux City shops a portion of last week.
Fulda Free Press: Last week we omitted to report eh marriage of Wm. Koehn and Miss Petirka Anna Luecht, both of Bloom, who were married Nov. 1st 1906, by Rev. Wilk, at the Pfingsten church. The couple is highly spoken of and the Free Press extends congratulations.
Slayton Herald: Another pretty wedding occurred in this city Wednesday evening at 8:30 at the home of Mr. and Mrs. B.W. Woolstencroft when their son John and Miss Mayme Dolan of Fulda, became husband and wife. The words uniting the couple were spoken by the groom's father, Judge Woolstencaroft, in the presence of relatives and a few intimate friends.
Roy Lewis was down from Wilmont, Monday.
Miss Emily Plotts is confined to her room by a bad cold.
Geo. Miller has re-opened his bowling alley on 2nd avenue.
R.D. Valderhorn, of Sheldon, Ia., was a Worthington caller Tuesday.
Fred Mohl, the Adrian land man, piloted a party of land seekers to Colorado, Tuesday.
W.E. Bloom did a job of house moving in the northwestern part of Worthington township Monday.
J.H. Hackett, of St. James, was a business visitor in Worthington several days the forepart of the week.
Earl McBride left Saturday for Storm Lake, Iowa, for an over Thanksgiving visit with relatives and friends.
S.M. Stewart will dispose of a large herd of young stock Saturday afternoon, at the Omaha stock yards in this city.
Mr. and Mrs. Weinandt, of Brewster, were visiting their son, Nicholas, and family few days the forepart of the week.
Henry Hornstine returned on Friday of last week from Benton County, Iowa, where he had been called by the death of a sister.
Mr. and Mrs. I. Jenkins returned home from Lexington, Ill., last week after a visit of about five weeks' duration with relatives and friends. They formerly resided at this city.
Miss Nellie Devaney, daughter of Mrs. . Levine of this city, is to be married at Dell Rapids, S.D., Wednesday, November 28th, to William Webber, a business man of Garretson, South Dakota.
W. Bulick, Jas. Ramage and Jas. Mackay returned from their hunting trip in the northern part of the state. As evidence of their marksmanship they brought home four deer and a black bear.
Frank Eggleston and mother, of Reading, were in the city, Tuesday, enroute for Seattle, Wash. Mrs. Eggleston will remain there and make her home with a married daughter, while Frank will return after a visit of several weeks.
H.J. Rew has resumed his position with the Hub Mercantile Co.
Frank Kendall of Excelsior, visited Worthington friends over Sunday.
D. Mitchell of Worthington township was in the city Tuesday doing trading.
Miss Lelia Bassett of Rushmore was in the city Wednesday on a shopping trip.
Mildred Harding has been quite sick the last two weeks with an attack of tonsilitis.
Jesse Hamstreet, of the Rushmore Enterprise force spent last Saturday here visiting.
Will Bartlett, our popular cigar man was disposing of his goods at Brewster, Tuesday. He reports good sales.
Pharmacist Joe Arbes, who has been assisting in Morland's drug store for short time past, returned to his home at New Ulm, Tuesday afternoon.
Will Whalen, of Summit Lake township, was in the city Tuesday to arrange for dates and bills for his large sale which will take place, Nov. 28th. See his adv., in another column.
A. Nystrom, of Rushmore, died on Tuesday evening of consumption, aged 25 years. The funeral was held on Wednesday. The young man was highly esteemed by the people of his home community.
Claude Wood, a former Worthington boy, but for several years past employed by the Northwestern Telephone Co., of Sioux Falls, changed cars here Tuesday afternoon for Windom, where he will act as superintendent of construction and repair for lines at that point.
W.E. Madison shipped a car of hogs to the Sioux City market Thursday.
G.M. Walker came up from Round Lake to spend Sunday with his family.
Mrs. Jas. Suddaby and Mrs. Abe Hamlin went to Sioux City Monday on a shopping trip.
C.T. Tupper and son Oriville went out to Seward township Wednesday to clerk the big Linen - Paterson sale.
Gus. Swanberg spent a number of days at Redwing this week attending the annual meeting of the State Charities and Correction Association.
Casper Bloom of White Bear, an uncle of W.E. and Al Bloom of this city, spent a few days here this week visiting at the homes of his nephews.
J.S. Firth of St. Paul was in the city a few days the latter part of last week visiting old friends. He had spent the summer in North Dakota, but will remain in St. Paul this winter.
Mr. and Mrs. M. Thompson of Ransom township were in the city Monday on a trading trip. They have been residents of Nobles county 20 years, and have acquired a comfortable farm home.
Local News.
T.A. Palmer visited Lake Park Tuesday.
R.B. Beeson of Breckenridge was here last week on business.
May Boyle of Adrian registered at the Worthington last Sunday.
H.G. Cromwell of Rushmore was a county seat visitor Wednesday.
J.F. Cass of Summit Lake was a business visitor in Worthington Wednesday.
Banker J.E. Salstrom of Bigelow was in town on business Wednesday evening.
Auctioneer Brown of Adrian came over Wednesday to cry the Leinen-Patterson sale north of town.
The Milton and Hanson families in Clary addition are under quarantine for scarlet fever. The cases are of a very mild form.
Ralph Beckley, who has a position in the meat market at Bigelow, has been home the past two weeks on account of illness.
A.J. Kannal, the painter and decorator, recently took his son into partnership, and the firm name is now Kannal and Son.
The Ladies Mite Society met on Wednesday afternoon with Mrs. Z.M. Smith. Considerable business was transacted and work disposed of.
Mmes W.M. Evans, G.W. Wilson, F.M. Hickman and I.P. Fox spent Saturday and Sunday at Sibley, visiting at the home of Mrs. Wilbern.
C.J. Smallwood this week received a small automobile of the buckboard type. It is a beauty, although it makes a noise like a traction engine.
R.B. Beeson traded 240 acres of land in section 23, Seward township, to G.W. Patterson for northern land and a bunch of horses. The consideration named in the deed was $9,600.
Mrs. Otis Bigelow was made the victim of a very enjoyable birthday surprise party Tuesday afternoon by a party of twelve of her intimate lady friends. A very pleasant afternoon was spent.
Vic Anderson and his father-in-law, E.L. Peterson, left on Monday for Sycamore, Ill., to attend the funeral of a friend. They will spend the week there visiting old acquaintances.
Alex Wilson was in from the town of Worthington yesterday.
C.H. Johnson of Reading was a county seat visitor last Saturday.
Editor Chas. Hamstreet of Rushmore was here last Friday on business.
Miss Annabelle Ruprecht of Bigelow was a Worthington visitor Tuesday.
Mrs. Calvin Moen spent Friday and Saturday at Sioux Falls, visiting and shopping.
Banker W.R. Mansel of Adrian, was a business visitor in Worthington Monday.
Miss Myrtle Stowell of Sioux Falls spent couple of days here last week visiting friends.
Mrs. T.C. Ely has returned from a two week's visit with relatives at Rock Rapids, Iowa.
Mrs. V.E. Butler, of Heron Lake was the guest of her brother, G.A. Fairfield, Tuesday and Wednesday.
Miss Maude Conrad was the guests of Minneapolis friends Saturday and Sunday, and witnessed the Carlisle-Minnesota foot ball game.
Rev. C.O. Swan, pastor of the Swedish Lutheran church, spent a few days in Murray county this week on a missionary trip. He visited Slayton, Avoca and other points.
F.S. Burrough, a former resident of this township, but who has of late been residing in Mille Lac county, arrived here with his family, Wednesday and will remain during the winter at least.
Aug. Wilson, of Loraine, left today for Mankato, where he will make his home. His family has been there since Sept. 1st, his son being a student at the state normal school. Mr. Wilson has been a resident of Loraine township 17 year, but sold his farm some years ago and invested in land near Mankato.
Mr. and Mrs. Silas Palmer and two children of Lake Park, Ia., mrMrs. John Palmer, of Renwick, Mr. Jas. Palmer and Mrs. Chas. Vallance, of London, were guests at the home of Mr. and Mrs. T.A. Palmer a number of days the first of the week. The first two named gentlemen are brothers of T.A., while Jas. Palmer and Mrs. Vallance are his uncle and aunt. It is Mrs. Vallance's first visit to America and she is much pleased with the country.

Friday, November 30, 1906

Broke an Arm Last Friday in a Fall Down Stairs.
Grandma Crane, who makes her home with her daughter, Mrs. F.A. Durfee, met with a painful accident last Friday. She was going down the back stairs when she slipped and fell with the result that she sustained broken arm and several cuts about the head.
Medical aid was summoned at once and the fracture of the arm reduced and her other injuries attended to. She is recovering as rapidly as can be expected. Her many friends will sympathize with her in her misfortune.
Mrs. Biltgen Hurt.
Mrs. J.P. Biltgen met with a painful accident last Monday which will confine her to the house for some time. She undertook to leave the court house by the back door which is located at the rear of the building under the main stairway. The place is rather dark and she made a mistep and fell into the basement. She sustained a fractured arm and several bruises besides a severe shaking up. The prospects are that she will be confined to her home for some time.
Entire Stock Bought by H.S. Meyers last Friday.
A business deal of considerable proportions, that was entirely unexpected, was consummated last Friday afternoon, when F.M. Hickman sold his entire stock of drugs, medicines, etc., and good will to H.S. Myers, who took immediate possession. The negotiations were begun Thursday evening, and in twenty four hours the deal was closed. Mr. Hickman had been engaged in business here about seven years, and had enjoyed a profitable trade. He has not made any plans as to the future, but will probably engage in business again soon. During the holiday rush he will assist Mr. Meyers. This deal gives Mr. Meyers one of the largest drug stocks in southwestern Minnesota. He also gets the old prescriptions, and any of these will be refilled on request by Mr. Engebretson, an accomplished druggist, who presides over this department.
Mr. Meyers has by careful attention to business built up a large trade, which will be nearly double as the result of the recent deal. He has an announcement in this issue which you will find profitable to read.
Surprise Party.
Mrs. Jacob Leinen, of Elk township was given a surprise party on Monday evening by a large company of her neighbors, who invaded her home armed with all kinds of good things to eat. A very pleasant evening was spent and before departing the guests presented Mrs. Leinen with a handsome token of their esteem as a reminder of the occasion.
Mrs. Leinen and family have lived in Elk township for ten year, and are held in high esteem by all the people of that neighborhood. Last week Mrs. Linen disposed of her personal property at auction, and she will move to Fulda, where she has bought a home. She takes with her the best wishes of a large circle of friends in Elk township.
All parties indebted to the undersigned are requested to call and settle. I will be at Meyer's drug store until January 1st.
F.M. Hickman.
The residence of Mr. and Mrs. M.G. Hurd, on 9th street, was the scene of a pleasant and auspicious event Thursday noon when Miss Jeanette Stoutemeyer, a sister of Mrs. Hurd, was married to the Rev. W.T. Shipley, pastor of the Baptist Church at Pueblo, Col.
The mystic words which made the pair one were pronounced by the Rev. I.A. Darnell of the Baptist church. A company of relatives and intimate friends witnessed the ceremony, which was followed by a bounteous Thanksgiving dinner.
The groom is prominent in the Baptist church in Colorado, being secretary of the State Baptist Association and editor of a church paper.
The bride is the daughter of the late W.E. Stoutemeyer, who for many years was a resident of Nobles county. The young lady grew to womanhood here and is well and favorably known to Worthington people. The Advance joins the many friends of the parties in extending congratulations.
Prof. C.S. Jones, formerly principal of the Rushmore school, and Miss Bessie R. Tripp, a prominent young lady of Round Lake, were married at the home of the bride's parents, Mr. and Mrs. E.D. Tripp, on Thanksgiving day.
Murdered in Persia.
Report has reached Edgerton of the murder of Rev. Fossom and his wife and child in Persia, where Rev. Fossom was a missionary. Rev. Fossom was at one time pastor of the Norwegian Lutheran church at Slayton. He has preached in other towns in southern Minnesota.
Round Lake.
From the Graphic:
E.A. Tripp was down from the county seat Tuesday afternoon.
E.L. Nance, of Worthington, was in town between trains last Thursday afternoon.
Sievert Sorem and family, of Minneapolis, arrived here Monday afternoon to visit at the home of Mrs. Sorem's parents, Mr. and Mrs. S.A. Comer, about a mile and a half southwest of town.
Mrs. A.F. Diehn and daughter, Elvera, arrived home on Tuesday from an extended visit with relations at Walcott, Iowa. She was accompanied by her mother, who is visiting her children here.
Monday a German schol was begun in Round Lake, with about ten pupils in attendance. Mr. F. Eggert, of Topeka, Kansas, who is a theological student, is teacher. We understand that instruction in German will also be given Saturdays to public school pupils who wish to take advantage of this opportunity.
The home of Mr. and Mrs. A. Eshleman of Elk, was the scene of pretty wedding on Thursday evening at 6 o'clock Nov. 22, when their son Mark was married to Miss Della Eikenberry. The ceremony was performed by J. Schechter, in the presence of a large company of relatives and friends. After the ceremony the company did justice to a bountiful wedding supper. The young couple are highly esteemed and have a large circle of friends who extend congratulations.
Joshua Schechter had a dozen or more sheep badly crippled and some killed by dogs last week.
Mr. A.F. Eshleman returned home last Tuesday from Kansas City where he had been nursing his son Roscoe who has been very ill for some time but is on the road to recovery and will return to Minn. when able to travel.
Alonza Standafer a former resident of Nobles County arrived from Hancock last week and is now working for R. Eikenberry.
Miss Myrtle Vail was visiting with Mrs. W. Shanks last week.
Mrs. Albert Little was a guest of Mrs. Wm. Kirk Saturday.
Henry Apel Jr., purchased a fine bunch of cattle of S.M. Stewart last Saturday.
Geo Storing and John Gaiser finished threshing last week.
Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Hart, Mr. and Mrs. Shanks Mr. and Mrs. Henry Apel and Miss Nelle Lyon attended the social in the M.E. church in Seward township Thursday evening, Nov. 22, and report a good time.
Bigelow Township.
Erick Thoren has resigned his position as manager of the Cedergren farm and Alfred Jacobson will take his place.
Miss Josephine Larson spent last week in Bigelow township visiting friends and relatives. She was also out picking corn a half day, which she can be proud of.
Oscar Olson was picking corn for Mr. Hacket last week.
Mr. and Mrs. Cedergren, of Boone, Iowa, arrived at Worthington last Tuesday to spend a few days at their farm in Bigelow township.
From the Signal:
Chas Ramsey, who has been assisting Wm. Filk in gathering his corn crop for the past three weeks, returned to his home in Worthington Saturday night.
Mrs. R. Bird and daughter, Mrs. A.E. Yeske, returned from Worthington Saturday afternoon. They had been paying a farewell visit with Mr. and Mrs. Kieltsemeier before they departed for their future home in Wisconsin. They bring the report that our former neighbors, Mr. and Mrs. August Klessig as being nicely located at the county seat and are enjoying life.
Miss Kain, of Worthington is spending the week at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Ostrom.
J.F. Flynn transacted legal business at Adrian last Monday.
O.H. Nystrom of Bigelow township was a pleasant caller Tuesday.
Henry Pfiel of Bigelow township transacted business in Worthington Monday.
Chas. Fairfield is back at his old place as night operator at the Omaha depot.
Judge G.W. Wilson spent a few days at Windom this week attending circuit court.
Mr. and Mrs. J.E. Salstrom of Bigelow were guests at the Biltgen home over Sunday.
C.W. Mead, the genial tonsorial artist of Wilmont was a county seat visitor last Sunday.
F.M. Hickman left for Red Wing on Wednesday to spend Thanksgiving at his old home.
Mr. and Mrs. I.P. Fox

...more to come

----End Transcription----

Microfilm, Worthington Advance; Minnesota Historical Society, St. Paul, MN; obtained March, 2008.

If you would like more information,
please contact Terri Mindock

The banner below has been added by the website host, and does not reflect any promotion by the author of these pages.