Search billions of records on
The banner above has been added by the website host, and does not reflect any promotion by the author of these pages.

Lane-Blood Genealogy
You are here:  Home  >  MN newspaper articles  >  transcription

Newspaper Articles
from The LaPorte News

Use the EDIT > FIND function on your browser to search this page.
To search the rest of this site, go to the HOME page (link above)
and use the "Search this site" box.

Friday, March 4, 1921


Mrs. Jos. Pennar, of Alexandria, spent Sunday in the home of her son, Mr. Wm. Pennar.

Anton Elgord says that eighteen years ago he hauled logs and 30,000 feet of lumber across Garfield Lake on the 10th of April. It is safe to say he will not do it this year.

Mrs. Barr was in town Thursday in the interest of the University lecture course. She was trying to place a series of enter- [the rest of this article got cut off]

Friday, April 1, 1921

Joe Mead went to Walker Monday morning to see that young son.

Mrs. Score, wife of the new cashier, left Monday morning for Johnson to visit her parents.

Mrs. L.J. Miles, Mrs. E.A. Troxel and Mrs. Charles Troxel went to Walker Tuesday morning.

Lewis Elgord went to Walker Monday morning to visit his sisters, Mrs. Reinarz and Mrs. Tryon.

Friday, April 8, 1921

Word was received last week that Miss Victoria Elgord and Mr. John Ohngren, formerly of Nymore, were married in Seattle, Wash. The many friends of the young people extend congratulations and best wishes.

Friday, July 22, 1921

Miss Lula Fenley spent Monday evening visiting Miss Ethel Miles, in Bemidji.

Miss Mabel Elgord returned from St. Paul for a month's vacation last Saturday. She is looking remarkably well.

Friday, July 29, 1921

A little girl arrived last week Thursday in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Blood, who live near the north end of Garfield lake. Mother and daughter are getting along nicely and Mr. Blood says there will be a new Sunday school scholar in a few years.

H.G. Zavoral Visits Old Friends

H.G. Zavoral, formerly agricultural instructor in the Consolidated School, surprised his friends by dropping in upon them last week Thursday. He came up in his car from Worthington, where he is now engaged as county Agent, and is doing good work among the farmers in that county. He says he often thinks of the Laporte people, however, and of the pleasant acquaintances and times enjoyed while he was here.

Friday, August 5, 1921

Mr. and Mrs. E.A. Troxel and family and Charles Troxel left early Saturday morning for Effie to visit Mrs. Troxel's mother and sister. They went by auto and returned Monday night. They report the roads were in very bad condition north of Blackduck.

Mr. and Mrs. J.E. Pierce and Lewis left Tuesday morning for places in Iowa and Illinois to spend a month visiting relatives and friends. Miss Anna Guttormson accompanied them as far as Pequot where she is visiting her sister, Mrs. Roy Thorpe.

Friday, April 28, 1922

The Auditorium is Filled with an Appreciative Audience and Gymnasium Fund is Given A Good Boost.

The school play Saturday night was well attended, the auditorium being crowded to its utmost capacity, and the little folks held the attention of the audience from start to finish.

The first play, "Troubles of the Shoe Family" by the third and fourth grade children was decidedly cute, both in costumes worn and the manner of its presentation. Orville Gilpin, as Dr. Foster, Helen Bothne as the "Old Woman", Ruth Child as "Mother Googe" and Ethel Leaveck as "Mother Twichett" each had their parts well committed and acted with more ease and grace than would naturally be supposed of children of their age.

The play "Elma, the Fairy Child" by first and second grade children, was a very pretty thing indeed, and Ardis Sarff, as the "Fairy Queen" surprised her audience by the amount of matter she had to memorize and the manner in which she carried her part without being prompted or appearing nervous.

Lloyd Leech as "Puck, the Mischevous Elf" and Elsie Hawkins, as "Elma, the Fairy" were well adapted to their parts as were also John Collver, as "Elma the Mortal," and Dell Gilpin the "Moonbeam." The transition of Elma, the mortal, to Elma, the Fairy and back again was carried out in a very clever manner and the mysterious change was well executed.

The little fairies in their white costumes made a very pretty appearance on the stage, and the green stage settings added to the general effect.

The entertainment did credit to the teachers having the plays in hand, and the amount realized was a generous donation to the gymnasium fund.

Friday, August 18, 1922

Is Caught Under a Grain Separator While Repairing It and Badly Bruised

A few days ago while Johnny Elgord was doing some repairing on the under side of a grain separator for Harry Vance, he met with an accident that came near proving fatal. He was sitting on the ground when all at once the blocking that was holding up one corner of the machine gave way and the under part of the separator caught him on the back, bruising him badly and bending him over so he could not breathe. Mr. Vance was fortunately standing near by and taking a piece of timber pried the machine up so that John could be pulled out. He was unconscious for a few moments but being able to breathe he soon revived and was taken to Walker for examination by Dr. Wilcox. The Doctor found no bones broken, and the young man was taken to the home of his sister, Mrs. Jos. Rinerz, for such other treatment, if any, as might be necessary. At last accounts he was getting along nicely and no serious results are anticipated.


A son was born to Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Blood last Saturday.

Arthur and Otis Allen have positions on the M & I. road in Bemidji.

Friday, October 27, 1922

Family Has Group Picture Taken

Mr. and Mrs. Anton Elgord and family are all together this week, and as it is the first time they have all been at home for some time and it is very uncertain when they will be together again, they went to Bemidji Monday, and had their pictures taken in a group. Those present were: Mr. and Mrs. Elgord, Mrs. Mary Jenson, Spring Valley, Wis., Mrs. Katie Tryon and Mrs. Adelia Reinerz, Walker, Mrs. Victoria Ohngren, who will leave soon for her home in Montana, Miss Mabel Elgord and Lewis and John Elgord, who are still at home. The picture will be something they can keep and treasure more highly as the years go by.

Friday, November 3, 1922

A Pretty Home Wedding Uniting Two Prominent Young People for Life.

A very pretty, happy and delightfully pleasant home wedding occurred at high noon Tuesday in the home of the bride's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Anton Elgord, in Lakeport township, when their daughter, Miss Mable Lucille Elgord and Mr. Raymond O. Schmitt were pronounced husband and wife. The ceremony was performed by Rev. C.S. Marston, pastor of the Community church, under a beautifully decorated arch of cedar boughs erected in the south side of the parlor, the members of the family and a few invited guests only, being present. The ring ceremony was used, little Miss Dorothy Tryon, a niece of the bride, being the ring bearer, and it was presented lying on a large, beautiful rose. Mrs. Victoria Ohngren, the bride's sister, and Miss Bernice Reinerz acting as bridesmaids, and Lewis Elgord and J.F. Ohngren, as best men. After the ceremony congratulations were heartily extended, and all sat down to an elegant wedding dinner, those present being the members of the immediate family of the bride, Mr. and Mrs. Martin Jenson, Spring Valley, Wis., Mr. and Mrs. J.F. Ohngren, Seattle, Wash., Mr. and Mrs. Guy Tryon and family and Mr. and Mrs. Jos. Reinerz and family, of Walker, Mr. and Mrs. A.F. Kasten and Mrs. Rudolph Haldeen, of Laporte, Miss Bernice Reinerz, of Gemmell, and Mr. and Mrs. J.C. Hallum, of Minneapolis.

The young couple are well and favorably known in this community, the bride having lived here nearly all her life and is loved and respected by her numerous friends for her noble traits of womanly character. The groom has the confidence and respect of all who know him for his honesty, integrity, industry and economic thrift. The News takes pleasure in uniting with all their many other friends in congratulating them, and wishing for them a long and happy life of usefulness and prosperity.

As soon as possible after the ceremony Mr. and Mrs. Schmitt left with Mr. and Mrs. Ohngren for Seattle in Mr. Ohngren's car, going by way of Omaha, Denver and Los Angeles, thence north through San Francisco to Seattle, where Mr. Ohngren is engaged in business. Mr. and Mrs. Schmitt will remain their during the winter and will then return to Lakeport township where Mr. Schmitt has a farm and will settle down to their life's work. It is hoped they will have a pleasant journey and a safe return.

Friday, November 24, 1922

Traveling Through the Sunny South.

A post card dated at Guymon, Okla., Nov. 17th was received the first of the week from Mr. and Mrs. Raymond Schmidt. They have gone through the bad roads belt and traveling there was good. The city itself was a thriving looking place, but the surrounding country was desolate looking indeed. "Not a tree as big as a potato vine in sight." They expected to be in Texas the next day and sent their regards to all the folks at home.

Friday, December 8, 1922

Young People Visit Old Mexico.

In a card written by Raymond Schmidt dated at El Paso, Texas November 28th, he says "we expect to eat our Thanksgiving dinner here tomorrow. The trip through the mountains of New Mexico was wonderful. As we will be only two miles from the Mexican border we expect to go over into old Mexico for a day or two. They are most all Mexicans in this town. Minnesota will look good to me."

Friday, January 12, 1923


Lewis Elgord has been feeling quite poorly of late and Monday morning went to Walker to see Dr. Wilcox.

Friday, February 23, 1923

After a Residence Here of Twenty-one Years Mrs. Hendrickson Dies at the Age of 96.

Mrs. Martha Hendrickson, who was not only one of the pioneers of Hubbard county but of northern Minnesota also, died on her old homestead in the home of her daughter, Mrs. Martin Nelson, at 11:00 o'clock Sunday morning February 18th, aged 96 years, 3 months and 2 days.

She was a remarkable woman both physically and mentally as she retained her memory to the last, and up to within three or four days of her death was as well as usual. Even up to the very last her daughter did not consider her in a serious condition as she took her breakfast up to her as usual and about half an hour afterwards she passed quietly and peacefully away.

She was beloved by all who knew her, as she was always cheerful, contented and happy, thankful for any favors shown her, and was never heard to utter a word of complaint or speak disrespectfully of any one, although she had endured hardships and passed through experiences that fall to the lot of but few people.

The funeral will be held this afternoon at 2:00 o'clock from the Evangelical Lutheran church, of which she was a devoted member, and the remains will be buried in Evergreen Cemetery by the side of her husband who died about 17 years ago. She leaves two daughters, Mrs. Martin Nelson, with whom she lived, and Mrs. John Olson, both of Laporte, and one son, Mr. Andrew A. Hendrickson, after whom Hendrickson township was named, of Sauk Centre, Minn. She leaves a sister and brother who are still living in Norway, 12 grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren besides a large circle of friends who will miss her and mourn her loss.


Miss Martha Anderson was born near Christiania, Norway, November 16, 1826. In 1859 she was united in marriage to Mr. Claus Hendrickson, and four children were born to them. The three mentioned above and a son who died about 15 years ago.

In 1870 her husband came to America and two years afterwards she followed with her four children, crossing the Atlantic in one of the ordinary sail boats in use at the time, and two months were occupied in making the trip.

They settled on a homestead that Mr. Hendrickson took up near Sauk Centre and lived there until 1902, experiencing many hardships and privations, when they came to this county and took up a homestead in Lake George township where her husband died in 1906. She then took up a homestead in what is now Hendrickson township, was one of the first settlers in the township that now bears her name, and made her home until the time of her death.

As an illustration of her physical and mental vigor and also of her thoughtful, unselfish disposition, Mrs. T.A. Larsen has given us the following account of a thrilling experience that came to her in July, 1905, when she was nearly 80 years of age.

It was Monday morning but as it was cloudy and rainy and Mr. Hendrickson was not feeling well he decided to remain in the house. As he was very fond of gooseberries Mrs. Hendrickson stepped out of the house without shoes or hat on to pick some for him. They were not very plentiful, and she had to tramp quite a distance through the heavily wooded country before finding all she wanted. When she started to return home the location of the sun could not be determined and she started in the opposite direction from the house. For four days and four nights she wandered through the dense woods, subsisting by day on water and a few berries she could find, and sleeping at night by taking a bunch of grass and leaves for a pillow and sitting against a tree.

The fifth day she came upon a settler's cabin about eight miles from Park Rapids on the road known as the Park Rapids and Bemidji stage road but found no one at home except an old lady and her son. the woman could speak nothing but German and Mrs. Hendrickson could speak or understand nothing but Norwegian, but she finally made the woman understand she was lost and her son took her to the nearest neighbor, eight miles away, in a wagon. From there she was taken home, arriving Friday night and apparently none the worse for her experience.

During her absence Indian guides had been secured from the Agency and every man in the neighborhood had been out hunting for her, and as near as could be estimated she must have walked 200 miles. Immediately after her arrival home she was asked what she wanted to eat but replied: "Never mind me, has the cow and the stock been fed and taken care of. I can wait." That she had caused her family and neighbors anxiety and trouble, seemed to worry her much more than any discomfort she herself had suffered.

She lived to see great changes, and in the happiness and prosperity of others she felt well rewarded.

Friday, March 23, 1923


We regret that this issue of The News is not up to average, but there's a reason.

Mrs. Bastin and two sons, Wesley and Ray went to Bemidji Tuesday evening.

Joe Reinarz was elected clerk of the village of Walker at the election last week.

Jones and Kelsey have shipped over fifty cars of spuds since the season opened last fall.

Rev. Magelssen will hold services at Laporte next Sunday, March 25th at 11 o'clock A.M.

Mrs. Dougherty, Tommy and James have been laid up most of the week but are able to be up and around now.

Frida Almquist, who has been home for several weeks on account of sickness, returned to her work in Bemidji Monday evening.

Most all of Charley Berry's family are down sick, the last one to be afflicted being obliged to be taken home from school last Tuesday.

Anto Jones is talking of making a visit to his old home in Denmark sometime this summer. It has been a long time since he has seen any of his home folks.

Grandpa Johnson, Mrs. L.W. Davis' father, has been quite sick for a couple of weeks, and has been confined to the house most of the time. He is nearly 84 years of age.

Grandma Troxel went to Bemidji Saturday evening and spent Sunday with her son Roy and family who had been on the sick list for a few days. they were some better when she left.

We have been reliably informed that Mrs. A. Larson has been given a sentence of two years and that she gave the Judge a full account of her past conduct implicating several others equally guilty as herself.

Wm. Conway, who is advertising an auction sale in another column, is going to move to St. Cloud and go to work at his old trade of carpentering. He has already been promised steady work as soon as he gets there.

Margaret Pennar, who has been attending the Teacher's Training school in Bemidji for the past two or three years, has finished her course and is now putting some of her theories into practice by experimenting on pupils in the grades.

John Buckman, formerly a storekeeper in Niawa, stopped off between trains Wednesday night to visit his old friend Milo Whiting. He was on his way from Minneapolis to his home in Montana where he has been in business the past twelve years.


Mrs. O.D. Hitchcock, who has been visiting her son Harry and family, left for Dodge Center Monday afternoon.

Ruth Dudley spent Thursday afternoon and Friday with Ada Lish.

Mr. George and Will. Fox were Sunday visitors at the Bauman home.

George Miller called at the Steufen home Sunday.

Miss Ada Lish is spending a few days at the Dudley home.

Clifford Miller went up to the Miller camp Monday.

Mr. and Mrs. Stuefen, and Arthur spent Sunday at the Rey home.

Iver Moberg returned to his work Saturday morning.

Sim Whiting visited at the Lish home Friday and Saturday.

Mrs. Frank Bauman visited with Mrs. Frame Friday afternoon.

Pearl and Walter Rey visited Sunday evening with the young folks at the Steufen home.

Mr. Frame and Mr. Powell were Laporte visitors Saturday.

Mrs. Frame visited school Monday.

Mrs. Dudley was taken very sick Saturday but is better at this writing.

Clyde Peer was unable to attend school Monday on account of sickness.

Mrs. Frame received a nice box of oranges Thursday from Marion Valentine of Florida.

Miss Mary McMillen and Pat Dudley visited at the Miller home Tuesday evening.

Mrs. Bert Lish called on Mrs. Tom Canedy Monday afternoon.

Harry Hitchcock, George Barlow and Leonard McCann came home from Dow's camp Saturday.

Mr. and Mrs. Orla Hunn, Mrs. Louis Getchel, Ada Lish and Sim Whiting spent Sunday at the Dudley home.

Harry Hitchcock and family and Mrs. O.D. Hitchcock spent part of the day Monday visiting at Bauman's.

Mr. Pim and Mr. Peer came home Saturday evening from the lath mill near Laporte, where they are working, to spend Sunday with their families.

Benedict Breezes

Miss Whim went to Bemidji Saturday evening.

Mr. and Mrs. Lyle Reid were the guests of Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Corrick for dinner Sunday.

Isabel Coyle and Creta Corrick boarded the train for Laporte Saturday evening. They took in the dance there.

All of the Schmitt family who have been sick are on the road to recovery.

New Settler Brings Big Pigs

Mr. L.M. Larson, who bought the James Mead place south of town, has moved in and is making plans for his summer's work. He came with a carload of stock and farm implements and among the stock were a couple of Duroc Red sows three years old that weighed a trifle over 500 pounds each. They were the largest and best looking hogs that have ever been seen in this part of the county, and Mr. Larson says he sees no reason why hogs should not do as well here as anywhere. He is a thoroughly industrious, progressive and up-to-date farmer, has a good farm and the future looks good to him.

Friday, April 6, 1923


Mr. Judkins went to Sauk Center Tuesday morning.

Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Blood spent the day in Walker last Friday.

Uncle Pete Fassenden has been laid up with lumbago the past week.

Geo. Hunter and Anton Elgord transacted business in Walker on Tuesday.

Wm. Conrad shipped his remaining household goods to St. Cloud Monday.

Miss Julia Fillia returned to Walker Monday, after having spent her vacation at home.

County Commissioner John Gladen was in town on Monday looking after various matters of business.

Raymond Pike is enjoying a visit with his mother, from Fargo, N.D.

Rev. Magelssen will hold services in Laporte next Sunday morning, April 8th at 11:00 o'clock.

Mrs. L.J. Miles and her two children have been on the sick list the past week, but seem to be better now.

Mrs. Frank Allen and her three children spent Easter, with her parents, returning home Monday evening.

Joe Stephen took his son Benjamin, who was hurt last week by falling down cellar to Walker Monday morning to see the doctor again.

Parnell Knutson, of Bemidji, transacted business in Laporte on Monday. He is connected with an insurance agency and is doing very well.

Leaner Harpel, of Fernhill, was the successful bidder for carrying the mail on the star route from Laporte to Yola and Fernhill, and he will enter upon his duties July 1st.

Evelyn Wren, who was hurt some months ago, went to Walker to have her foot examined again Friday. Her mother, Mrs. A. Anderson and sister, Miss Avis Wren accompanied her.

Mr. and Mrs. Thos. Birt, of Chicago, are now living west of town as Mrs. Birt had to come here for her health. Mr. Birt will return to Chicago in a few days. He is a brother of John Birt.

Benedict Breezes

Dalores Hanson fell on the ice and cut her leg Wednesday evening and had to be taken to Bemidji to have some stitches taken in it.

Ralph Eavens went to work at the lath mill west of Laporte Wednesday.

There was a candy party at Smith's Friday evening. We wonder just who it was given for.

Olaf Helgensons spent Sunday at Peter Trousets.

Ben Johnson is spending a few days in the Cities.

Mr. and Mrs. H.D. Culver and family, Mr. and Mrs. Victor Bragg and the Misses Maud and Mable Bragg called at the Seufer home Sunday evening.

Mrs. Morrell spent the week end in Laporte.

Mrs. A.E. Clark was a Walker caller Friday.

Meet After Twenty Years.

Mr. Carl O. Fjerestad, of the South Bend Watch company, South Bend, Ind., arrived Saturday and spent a couple of days visiting his uncle, A.A. Aaby. He had not seen his uncle for 20 years and as he was making a business trip to Walker thought he could not let the opportunity go to make him a call.

Friday, April 13, 1923


Carl Gladen went to Bemidji Friday evening.

Miss Marion Scott went to Bemidji Wednesday evening.

Mrs. Fred Pederson and Mrs. Bastin went to Walker Tuesday.

Chas. Adams and daughter Ardith, went to Walker Friday.

Ruel Dally of Pequot came up Wednesday evening to visit relatives and friends.

Henry Gladen transacting business in Backus, Hackensack and Walker last Monday.

Ruby and Ruth Zothman went to Walker to visit their sister Lavaun last Friday.

Ethel Levick spent part of vacation last week visiting her grandmother in Walker.

Mr. T.A. Larsen went to Bemidji Wednesday evening on various matters of business.

Mr. and Mrs. Edgar Mead are living in the house recently vacated by Mr. Martin on First Street.

Pat Nugent was in town last Friday looking after matters pertaining to the Otto Lilianthal estate.

Mr. and Mrs. A.E. Child spent Saturday evening in Bemidji attending to various matters of business.

Bert Stevens returned Friday evening after having spent the last few weeks visiting friends at various points in this state.

Frank Cebulla has bought the Noble lath mill and has commenced moving the machinery to his place in Guthrie township.

It is reported that Mr. and Mrs. John Waldron, who moved to Iowa last fall, are talking of coming back to Laporte again in the near future.

A.G. Brager, of Crookston, representing the creditors of the Wideman & Prosser bankrupt estate, has been in town the past two or three days looking after various matters pertaining to the estate.

Frank Kelsey returned from Minneapolis Sunday night where he had gone with a car of potatoes. He said that when he left the cities there was plenty of snow on the ground and the weather and walks under foot were a great deal worse than they are here. There are worse places than the northern part of Hubbard county in which to live.

Friday, April 20, 1923

Local Items.

Mrs. Dougherty was a Bemidji passenger Wednesday evening.

Pat Nugent and W.G. Schroeder, of Bemidji, transacted business in Laporte Tuesday.

Bert Stevens left for his home in Montana Saturday to be ready to commence spring work.

Mrs. Charles Hanson went to Walker Tuesday morning to keep an appointment with the dentist.

Henry Haldin returned from Willmar Friday morning where he has been for some months past.

Mrs. Bertha Bossom took her little daughter Violet to Bemidji Wednesday to have her eyes examined for glasses.

Mr. and Mrs. F.B. Smith expect to return in the near future if Mr. Smith does not decide to accept a position elsewhere.

Rev. Marston went to Bemidji Monday evening to keep an appointment with the dentist and attend a special meeting in connection with church work.

Mr. Steufen, who lives on the Otto Lilianthal place, commenced plowing Wednesday. The frost has been going out of the ground very rapidly the past few days.

Mrs. Ruth Troxel and children and Mr. and Mrs. Shetterly came down from Bemidji Wednesday morning to spend the day. Mr. Shetterley bought a new Chevrolet car while here and went back with it the next day.

L.R. Henry, the painter, has been laid up the past week with crysipelas and is still under the doctor's care. As soon as he recovers sufficiently he has two or three automobiles to paint as he is an expert in that line.

Mrs. Ruth Clyde, who has been visiting her parents, Mr. and Mrs. J.B. Cotant, for several weeks, left Wednesday morning for Indiana where Mr. Clyde is now working for a large dredging company.

Mr. and Mrs. Molinder, of Minneapolis, have been in town the past week visiting Mr. and Mrs. Nyman and other friends. Mr. Molinder is in the employ of an iron manufacturing company and is doing very well.

Friday, June 1, 1923

The End of A Busy Week
Memories of the Past, Thoughts of the Present and Hopes for the Future Have All Centered Around the Activities of Young and Old the Past Week.

As usual, this has been one of the busiest weeks in the year with a great many. It has been a strenuous time for scholars, teachers and parents. Especially so with mothers who have had daughters graduating from the high school or promoted from the eighth grade, as there have been dresses to make, parties to attend, lunches to get and no help to depend on.

The exercises of a public nature commenced Sunday morning when appropriate Memorial Day services were held in the church. Appropriate decorations had been provided, and Mr. Marston spoke on the topic "The Price of Liberty," taking for his text the words recorded in Acts 22:23 in which the Roman chief captain said unto Paul, "With a great sum obtained I this freedom and Paul said but I was free born." Peter Fessenden, a civil war veteran and representative of the G.A.R., Mrs. I.M. Troxel, representing the W.R.C. and Henry Kolbe, a veteran of the Spanish-American war, were given seats of honor in the front of the audience. Mr. Marston gave a splendid talk on the price of our national liberty, not only in dollars and cents but also in the suffering and bloodshed of those who have gone before, and the debt of gratitude we owe them for the sacrifices they made.

Wednesday was Decoration Day, and while in the morning it looked as though it might rain, the clouds partially rolled away and by 10:30 there was a fair attendance at the school house to participate in the exercises there, and the program, as arranged was carried out.

On the platform were Mr. E.H. Adams and Mr. Peter Fessenden, representing the veterans of the Civil war, Mrs. I.M. Troxel, Mrs. E.H. Adams and Mrs. J.C. Lukenbill, representing the wives and mothers of that dreadful conflict, Mr. O.C. Blood and Henry Kolbe, survivors of the Spanish-American war, and Albert Wright, Arthur Waldron, Leonard Dally and John Score, heroes of the World war.

The program commenced with a selection by the Laporte orchestra and after prayer by Rev. Marston and a solo by Miss Eastvold, Mr. Leon Brown, an attorney from Bemidji, delivered the address of the day.


Friday, June 29, 1923

Leaving Temporarily

Mr. Ernest Schmiginski, who had an auction sale last Tuesday, leaves in a day or two for Verona, N.D., where he formerly lived and will remain there until fall. He will probably return to his farm near Guthrie and make his home there again as he likes this locality and does not intend disposing of his farm at present.


Werner Mahlum [Mablum?] of Brainerd stopped in Laporte Thursday and visited with Dick Pedersen.

 Hand Badly Mashed.

Tuesday afternoon while Robt. Cline was helping the section crew load some rails near the gravel pit south of town he accidentally got his hand caught between two rails and the flesh on the first finger on his left hand was nearly all taken off and the thumb was badly bruised. He was immediately taken to Walker and had it dressed by Dr. Wilcox, but it will be some time before he is able to have the use of his hand again.

Celebrated 69th Birthday

Mrs. McDonald, of Walker, has been spending the week visiting her granddaughter, Mrs. C.J. Dupont. Wednesday was her 69th birthday and Mrs. Dupont entertained a few of her friends and gave her grandmother a very nice birthday cake all decorated with the appropriate number of candles in honor of the event.


Mrs. A.E. Child returned from Walker hospital Wednesday.

Local Items.

Miss Lois Dally has gone to Montana and has a position in a hospital there.

Fay, Grace and Robert Adams, of Hutchison, Minn., are visiting in the home of their grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. E.H. Adams.

Mr. McCormick, of Minneapolis, chief rate clerk for the N.P. railway, spent last Sunday as the guest of Mr. and Mrs. F.H. Kelsey.

Ethel Leaveck returned from Walker Tuesday evening after having spent a week visiting with her grandmother, Mrs. McDonald.

Art West has a young pup that he claims is part Japanese collie and part spanial, but to the average person he looks to be mostly dog.

Albert Wright, Joel Vance, Jens Johnson and Aloyze Filla left Monday by auto for Kansas where they will work in the harvest fields.

Mr. and Mrs. Ashton are the proud and happy parents of a nice big boy that came into their home Saturday evening. The family is getting along nicely.

Miss Rena Stuart has accepted a position as teacher of the 6th grade in Bemidji Central school at quite an advance in salary over what she has been getting.

The social and shower at the home of Mr. and Mrs. A.R. Prosser Saturday night was well attended by the young people and all report having had a very enjoyable time.

Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Roberts, of Lake Crystal, who were here last week spending part of their honeymoon trip with Mrs. Robert's sister, Mrs. F.H. Kelsey, left for home Saturday night.

Mrs. Mable Potter came up from Minneapolis Monday evening and is spending the week visiting home folks. She is holding an important position with the M.W. Savage Company.

A few days ago while the two sons of Mr. and Mrs. A.E. Child were driving the cows to pasture their pet dog that had been following them was run over and almost instantly killed by an automobile.

Henry Grift has a rain guage receptacle on his place, and says that for eight days ending with Monday night last, seven inches of water had fallen. The heaviest single downpour was early Monday morning when an inch fell in less than two hours.

Miss Margaret Pennar has accepted a position with the public school in Federal Dam and Mr. Pennar says that if he leaves Laporte he will go there and start a paper called the "Nation." Just what the heading would be he did not say but it would naturally be "The Federal Dam Nation."


Friday, July 20, 1923

Ethel Miles and Orville Oldfather Married Wednesday and Leave For Future Home

A beautiful and happy home wedding occurred at 12 o'clock noon, on Wednesday, July 18th, at the home of Mr. and Mrs. L.J. Miles, the bride's parents, when Miss Ethel Miles became the bride of Mr. Orville H. Oldfather, of Fayette, Iowa.

The ceremony was performed by Rev. Jay E. Pierce in the presence of the bride's immediate family and a few invited friends in the shade of the beautiful grove just outside the house, and was followed by an elegant wedding dinner.

The bride was attired in a navy blue traveling suit and carried a handsome bouquet of roses and ferns. After dinner they were taken to Bemidji in an auto and yesterday morning left for Continental, Arizona, their future home, Mr. Oldfather having taught school there last year and unanimously re-elected for the coming year.

Those present in addition to Mr. and Mrs. Miles and the younger members of the family, were Mrs. Erma Archer, sister of the bride, and her son Rex, of Lux, Wyoming, Miss Ella Hinderager, Mrs. Mabel Thorpe, Miss Lula Fenley, Mrs. J.E. Pierce and Mr. Henry Grift, of Laporte, Mrs. Reva Bennett, formerly Miss Reva Terrill, and her husband, Mr. Floyd Bennett of Walker, and Mrs. Nichols and Miss Shurley, nurses with the bride in the State Sanatorium while she was there.

The auto carrying the young couple to Bemidji was appropriately decorated with the customary "good luck" emblems, and a "Just Married" sign was conspicuously displayed. In going through on the train the next morning they were generously showered with rice, both here and at Walker and the State San.

The bride has lived in Laporte since infancy and is admired and respected by a large circle of friends and acquaintances.

The groom, although not personally known to many in Laporte, taught in the Walker school a couple of years ago and is highly spoken of, both as a gentleman and an instructor, by those who know him there.

Continental, the place where they are going to live, is only a short distance from Tucson in the southeastern corner of the state, and the best wishes of their many friends go with them.

Former Citizen Visits Laporte

Mr. and Mrs. A.F. Anderson and family, who formerly lived in what is now known as the F.B. Smith place a short distance south of the school house, surprised their old friends by driving into town last Saturday and have been camping out this week on Carl Nyman's place near the north end of Garfield Lake. They are now living in St. Paul and are looking well but glad to come to Laporte for a week's outing and recreation just the same. Their old time friends were glad to see them again as they were among the most popular and progressive young people in town when living here.

They were accompanied by Mr. W.A. Schultz, of Minneapolis, who owns land just across Garfield Lake from the boat landing.


Frieda Holderbecker left Thursday morning for Mound and will stop at Anoka to see her mother.

Local Items.

Mrs. Frank Lindberg spent Tuesday in Walker.

Rev. Magelssen will hold services next Sunday morning at 11 o'clock.

Hazel Underhill left for Mound Thursday morning to attend the Summer Assembly.

The prospects for a new store and a new electric light plant in Laporte are exceedingly good.

Mr. and Mrs. F.M. Allen celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of their wedding on the Fourth, and now have 22 grandchildren.

Rev. Cummings, of Bemidji, was in town Tuesday visiting the Church Vacation School. He spoke very highly of the work done.

Oscar Dahl, C.T. Lermo and Walter Wenck, three of the leading progressive and prominent business men of Guthrie, were transacting business in Laporte on Tuesday.

Mrs. Pansy Child took a vacation the first of the week and spent two or three days visiting friends in the southern part of the state. Mrs. Carney took her place in the restaurant during her absence.

W.B. Evans, evangelist, of Minneapolis, has been holding meeting the past week in Wilkinson and next Sunday afternoon will give an illustrated talk for children at 3:00 o'clock. All are invited to attend.

Mr. Erickson, the showman, was here Wednesday evening putting his moving picture machine in good shape and says that the pictures this evening will give satisfaction, as the defective parts have been replaced with new ones.

Mrs. W.W. Wheeler and daughter, of Marshalltown, Iowa, and her friend Mrs. Finders and two children, are visiting at Lake George. They drove from Marshalltown in Mrs. Wheeler's car and came through in good time without any mishap whatever. They expect to remain about two months.

In sad and loving memory of our dear Husband and Father, ARTHUR H. HOLMBERG. Who died two years ago to-day, July 23rd, 1923.

While the rain has softly fallen,
On a sad and lonely grave,
Of a Father so kind and gentle,
One we loved but could not save,
Time has passed since you have left us,
Lengthened into two lonely, long years
And still we think of you so often,
And cannot check our flowing tears.
You are gone but not forgotten,
In our home there's an empty space,
Though there are others all around us,
But none can fill that vacant place.
You have left us here forever,
For a better world on high,
Where some day we hope to meet you dearest Father,
In that home beyond the skies.


Mr. John Johnson and Mrs. Irene Gilpin were united in marriage Friday evening in the home of the bride's parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Ernest. The ceremony was performed by Rev. C.S. Marston in the presence of the immediate relatives of the young people only. They will make their home on their farm near the east end of Kabekona Lake where Mr. Johnson has been living for some time. The young couple are well known in this vicinity and have the best wishes of their many friends.

Friday, August 10, 1923

Charles Ebersole writes from Camp near Ft. Snelling, that he is having a fine time and has been promoted already to the office of corporal.

Mr. and Mrs. Blood have made arrangements to move to Grand Rapids in a week or two where Mr. Blood has a splendid opening for taking up his old trade, that of electrical engineer.

Friday, September 14, 1923

Friends Meet to Pay Departing Families their Respects.

A farewell reception was held in the school house Wednesday evening in honor of Mr. and Mrs. Blood and Mr. and Mrs. Aaby who leave about the first of next month for their new homes. There was a goodly number present, and after a short musical program remarks were made by O.B. Peterson, who was asked to act as chairman of the occasion, Rev. Marston, J.B. Cotant, Jay E. Pierce, Prof. Kaupenger, Mrs. Blood and Mr. Aaby.

Prof. Kaupenger said that when he was a child he was naturally left handed and as his parents and teachers tried to break him of the habit he became able to use one hand about as well as the other. He illustrated this on the blackboard by writing his name with each hand at the same time, and if a person had not seen him when he wrote it, they could not have told which was written with the right hand and which with the left hand. He is also quite a cartoonist, and gave a speciman of free hand drawing, drawing the object simultaneously with both hands.

Mr. Peterson stated that at the last meeting of the school board it was decided to hold the reception to teachers on the last Friday of this month, September 28th, in the school house, and a committee consisting of F.W. Hart, Mrs. Marston and Mrs. Harry Vance was appointed to prepare a suitable program for the occasion.

After all had spoken who wished, and expressed their regrets at the families leaving, refreshments were served and a pleasant social time was enjoyed. At the close all united in singing "God be with you till we meet again" and the company dispersed, hoping that Mr. and Mrs. Blood and family and Mr. and Mrs. Aaby and family would realize all the blessings and advantages that they anticipated.

Friday, September 28, 1923

Local Items.

Murdick Troxel spent Sunday visiting relatives and friends.

Miss Rena Stuart, who is now teaching in Bemidji, spent Saturday visiting relatives and friends.

Mr. Carney has bought the McCaskey house near the County road leading north towards Fred Adams' place.

Grandma Troxel and son E.A. Troxel attended a funeral of an old time friend and neighbor at Jenkins, Wednesday.

Mr. and Mrs. Carney returned from Cedar Rapids Friday night after having spent a couple of weeks visiting their daughter, Mrs. Mildred Roach.

Mrs. Underhill wanted a barn built last Thursday and Jack Johnson and his brother Frank were given the job. They had the building up and ready for use in half a day. That's going some.

Mrs. Carl Gladen was taken suddenly sick Monday with a slight attack of appendicitis. Mr. Gladen took her to Walker to see Dr. Wilcox and she is now feeling much better. It is to be hoped she will not have a reoccurrence of it very soon.

Mr. and Mrs. J.C. Hallum and Mr. and Mrs. T.A. Larsen made a trip by auto to the Canadian line last Wednesday. They found vegetation greener and less affected by frost on the Canadian line where they were than it is in places around here.

Mr. and Mrs. J.C. Hallum, who have been spending the summer in their cottage on the shore of Kabekona Lake, returned to their home in Minneapolis yesterday. They expect to return and occupy their lake cottage again next year.

Anton Almquist has been appointed agent for the Home Oil company and will put in a filling station near his house. The pump will be on the curb line nearly in front of his house, and will be easy of access to all cars driving through from Walker to Bemidji.


----End Transcription----

Microfilm, The LaPorte News; Minnesota Historical Society, St. Paul, MN; obtained April, 2008.

If you would like more information,
please contact Terri Mindock

The banner below has been added by the website host, and does not reflect any promotion by the author of these pages.