Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

mcbeth.jpg (20235 bytes)

MRS. MARY DEACON DIES AT AGE OF 82 Obituary March 27, 1935 Mrs. Mary Deacon, widow of Captain Richard Deacon, volunteer in the two Riel rebellions and first certified steamboat captain on the Saskatchewan, who died here January 20, passed away in hospital early this morning at the great age of 82. She had been in the hospital since Saturday. The funeral will probably be held Friday from Wesley United Church to the Colleston Cemetery, where Captain Deacon was buried. Friends are asked not to send flowers , a request of Mrs. Deacon's. The remains are resting at Hamilton's Funeral Home. Survivng her are three sons and one daughter, Morrison George of Prince Albert, Alfred Arthur of Edmonton and Richard Albert of New Osgoode, Sask. and Mrs. James Wilson of Saskatoon. Two daughters predeceased their parents. One sister Mrs. D.L. Shannon of Prince Albert, and three brothers, George and Alec McBeath of Colleston and Robert of Vancouver, are also living. In addition there are thirteen grandchildren and about thirteen great grandchildren. Mrs. Deacon was born in Kildodnan, daughter of Morrison McBeath and Isabella (Gunn) McBeath, two of the original Selkirk Settlers, on May 16, 1852. She was baptized by Dr. Black first Presbyterian pastor there, and later a pupil of his. In 1871 she was married to Richard Deacon, Dr. Black performing the ceremony. Captain Deacon was born in London, England and at Montreal he volunteered in repulsing the Fenian Raiders. At the age of 21 he joined General Wolsley's Volunteers to suppress the first Riel Rebellion, it was after the troops were disbanded in 1871 that he married Miss McBeath. The McBeath family followed the pioneering steps of Rev. James Nisbet, Mrs. Deacon's father and a brother, taking up the first homesteads in the Colleston district, east of Prince Albert, followed by Captain Deacon. After farming a few years , the Deacon family moved into the village of Prince Albert because of the desire to educate the children. Mrs. Deacon and Mrs. Nisbet were first cousins. Captain Deacon built and operated a number of stemboats on the river. Just before the rebellion of 1885, the fearless captain appeared at some of Riel's meetings and denounced the rebel leader to his face, incurring the enmity of those he opposed. During the period of the revolution he was on military duty with the rank of captain. In the early days Mrs. Deacon was one of the foremost workers in the church particularly the Methodist Church, continuing until an advanced age. She was greatly sorrowed upon the death of her life partner early this year.