1706 Isle Of Jersey, England -
2/23/1788 Hillsborough, NH
11/28/1708 Salem Village, Essex Co., MA-
4/18/1802 Washington, Sullivan, NH
Joseph Steele DAR
1706-2/23/1788 Amhert, Hillsborough Co., New Hampshire
1) Signed Association Test Amherst 1776.
Wife Sarah Putnam. 1706 Jersey Island, England-February 23, 1788 Hillsborough,
Joseph was the
son of Thomas and Martha Steele. Thomas was born 1683 in
Jersey Island, England. Thomas died February 22, 1747/48 in Londonderry, Rickingham, England. His wife's name was Martha.
This couple married abt. 1704
in Jersey Island, England. Joseph was born about 1706 in Jersey
Island, England and died in February 23, 1788 Hillsborough, New Hampshire.
The immigration record
for Joseph Steel has not yet been located but they would have come over before
his marriage in 1731 Middleton, Essex, MA and daughter's birth in 1735.
Joseph and Sarah were
the parents of Joseph Steele, Jr.
Joseph married Sarah
Putnam August 02, 1731 Middleton, Essex, MA. She was the daughter of
Edward PUTNAM, Jr. and Sarah MILES. She was born November 28, 1708 in
Salem, Essex, Massachusetts and died April 18, 1802 in Washington, Sullivan NH
about Joseph Steele and his life:
SOURCE: History of
Hillsborough County, New Hampshire
Philadelphia: J.W. Lewis & Co., 1885, 878 pgs.
A Part of "Londonderry Claim" Annexed to Nottingham West, 1778--
Name Changed to Hudson, 1830-- Taylor's Fall Bridge--
Post Offices and Postmasters-- Nottingham West Social Library--
Hudson Social Library-- Schools and School
Districts-- Population-- Physicians-- Nashua and Rochester Railroad-
In 1754 a petition was presented to the General Assembly, signed by twenty-seven
of the inhabitants of the southwest part of Londonderry,
praying to be taxed in Nottingham West, which petition was dismissed. As early
as 1768 some action had been taken by a number of the inhabitants occupying the
south part of "Londonderry Claim," in Londonderry, to be annexed to this town,
and in March of that year the town voted to hear and answer their request.
February 3, 1778, a
petition praying to be annexed to Nottingham West was presented to the Honorable
Council and Assembly, signed by Levi Andrews, Josiah Burroughs, Simeon
Robinson, John Marshall, William Hood, JOSEPH STEELE, Philip Marshall,
Moses Barrett, Daniel Peabody, John Smith, Ebenezer Taylor, Simeon Barrett,
James Barrett, W. Elener Graham, Isaac Page, William Graham, Ezekiel Greeley,
George Burroughs, David Lawrence, Richard Marshall, Hugh Smith, Thomas Smith,
Sampson Kidder, Benjamin Kidder, William McAdams, Joseph Hobbs.
The petition was granted by an act of the General Assembly, passed March 6,
1778, annexing the southwest portion of Londonderry to Nottingham West, with the
"Beginning in the South boundary of Londonderry, at the North East corner of
Nottingham West, Thence running North 5 degrees East, frequently crossing
Beaver Brook, 424 rods to a large Pine tree marked, standing by said Brook.
SOURCE: History of Hillsborough County, New Hampshire
Philadelphia: J.W. Lewis & Co., 1885, 878 pgs.
The town of Amherst is situated in the southerly part of the county of
Hillsborough, in the State of New Hampshire, in latitude 42 degrees 51' north.
It lies on both sides of the Souhegan River, the principal part being on the
northern side. Its length from north to south, according to a survey made in
1806, is nine miles and one hundred and seventy rods. Its greatest widty is
about five miles, and its least width two miles and two hundred and forty-two
rods, comprising an area of about twenty-two thousand acres,
of which about five hundred are covered with water.
It is bounded on the north by Bedford and New Boston, on the east by Bedford and
Merrimack, on the south by Hollis and Milford, and on the west by Milford and
Mont Vernon. Its surface is broken and uneven. Near the Souhegan [river] is a
strip of valuable intervale land. Adjoining this, at a higher elevation,
are tracts of sandy plain land, formerly thickly covered with a growth of pitch
pines. Along the water-courses are considerable tracts of meadow land. At a
higher elevation, the hill-sides afford excellent grazing land, and when
moderately free from rocks are well adapted to agricultural purposes, and with
proper care yeild an abundant reward to the husbandman. In other parts they are
as hard and strong as granite can make them, and are fitted only for the
production of fuel and timber.
*ORIGIN OF THE TOWN*
The town of Amherst had its origin in a grant of land made by the General
Court of Massachusetts to some of the citizens of that
province for services in the Narraganset war in 1675-76. The township was
granted in 1728, and was known as Narraganset No. 3,
and subsequently as Souhegan West No. 3. It was incorporated as a town January
18, 1760, at which time it received the name of Amherst, from General Jeffrey
Amherst, at that time commander-in-chief of the British forces in North America.
The first meeting of the proprietors of Souhegan West was held at Salem, July
17, 1734. At this meeting Captain Benjamin Potter, Captain Richard Mower and Mr.
Daniel Kenney were appointed a committee "to make a Perticular view of ye
scircumstances of s'd Township, and make Report to ye Society or Grantees at
their adjournment on the second tuesday in September next." They were authorized
to employ a
surveyo, and such pilots as might be necessary, at the expense of the
Captain Richard Mower,
Messrs. Cornelius Tarble, Ebenezer Rayment, Jeremiah Gatchel and Daniel Kenney
were appointed a committee to subdivide the township. Captain Benjamin Potter,
Mr. John Bixbe and Ensign Thomas Tarbox were added to this committee at a
subsequent meeting. Another meeting of the proprietors was held at Salem, August
13, 1734, at which William Collins was elected proprietor's clerk; Captain
Richard Mower, Messrs. John Trask, Ebenezer Rayment, Stephen Peabody and
Jeremiah Gatchel, prudential committee; and General Benjamin Potter, treasurer.
The prudential committee was directed to rectify all mistakes in the names of
the proprietors, as given in the list, and to lay the same before the General
Court, if they thought proper.
[more in original document not included here]
In 1735, Robert Hale, Esq., Captain Stephen Peabody and Lieut. Ebenezer Rayment
were appointed a committee to "lay out a place whereon to erect the Public
Meeting House...a..place for a Public Burying Ground...."...and to "take a
view of the Souhegan River, in Order to find out yet most convenient place to
Build a Bridge over the same..."
*THE FIRST SETTLEMENT*
The first settlement in the township was probably made in the spring of 1735 by
Samuel Lamson and Samuel Walton, from Reading, Mass. They settled at first about
a mile south of the village, on the farm now owned by Mr. Bryant Melendy, where
they built a log house. Both afterwards removed to other parts of the town,--Lamson
to the westerly part, now Mont Vernon, where some of his descendants now
reside. About 1765 he removed to Billerica, Mass. where he died about 1779.
Walton removed to the easterly part of the town, near Babboosuck [sic]
pond. Of his subsequent history but little is known. His name
appears occasionally on the proprietor's records and is attached to the petition
to the provincial authorities in 1747, asking for help against the
Indians. He is said to have died here, but none of his descendants reside in
town, and for the last eighty years the name is not found in the town records.
Lieutenant Joseph Prince seems to have been the only one of the original
proprietors who settled in the township. He was from Salem village (now Danvers)
and was proprietor in the right of his uncle, Richard Prince. According to an
old plan, still in existence,
his land at one time extended from Bedford line westward to near where the
village of Mont Vernon now stands. A family tradition says that he first located
himself on the farm afterward owned by Nathan and Peter Jones, in Mont Vernon,
but removed thence to the place now owned by Solomon Prince, in the easterly
part of Amherst. Other settlers followed not long afterward, many of them
from Salem, and the
adjoining towns, but the progress of the settlement was slow. In September
1741, but fourteen families settled in the township.
Efforts made by the proprietors to induce settlers to locate in the township,
and sums of money were voted for the purpose, but the
distance from the seaport towns and the hardships attending the lives of
settlers in a new settlement prevented a rapid growth of the place.
The French and Indian Wars, which commenced a few years later, also operated
unfavorably to its progress.
September 8, 1735 the proprietors appointed Captain Mower, Lieutenant Rayment
and Cornelius Tarble a committee to build a bridge
over the Souhegan river [it was built in the autumn and winter of that year]. On
April 19, 1737 the proprietors voted that Capt. Ives, Capt. Majory, Capt. Hicks
and Mr. Edward Bond, be paid forty pounds to build a saw-mill in Souhegan West
No. upon Beaver Brook. February 14, 1737-8 the proprietors voted to a second
division of land and appointed Capt. Joseph Parker, of Chelmsford, Ensign Thomas
Tarbox and Lieutenant Cornelius Tarble a committee to see it done. On July 11,
1738 the committee for dividing the town was added by
the names of Mr. John Wiles and Captain Ebenezer Rayment, and Mr. Joseph
Richardson was apointed to serve in the place of Captain Joseph Parker.
On May 20, 1740, Solomon Wilkins had leave to take up sixty acres of land
ajoining the falls in Souhegan River, the land to lay square, on condition he
built a good grist-mill near the falls, keep it in repair, and at all times
supplied the inhabitants of the township with meal for the lawful and customary
toll. He appears to not have taken the offer, as in April 1741, it was voted to
give Mr. John Shepherd 120 acres of land for a similar reason. Mr. Shepard was
from Concord, Mass. He accepted the grant, built the mill, and became a citizen
of the town.
In 1753, a petition for incorporation was presented to the Governor and Council
by the citizens of Souhegan West, who were as follows
(by their signatures on the petition): Ephraim Abbot, Joshua Abbot, Josiah
Abbot, Andrew Bixbe, Joseph Boutell, William Bradford,
Benjamin Cheever, Joseph Clark, Ebenezer Ellinwood, Ebenezer Ellinwood Jr.,
Joseph Ellinwood, John Everdon, Solomon Hutchinson, Samuel Lamson, Samuel Lamson
Jr., Robert Read, Benjamin Lovejoy, Ebenezer Lyon, Hugh Ross, Josiah Sawyer,
Andrew Seetown, John Smith, Joseph Steel, Samuel Stewart, William
Stewart, Caleb Stiles, Robert Stuart,
**RESIDENT TAX-PAYERS in AMHERST, September 1760**
Ephraim Abbot, Joshua Abbot, Josiah Abbot, Ebenezer Averill, Thomas Averill,
Andrew Bixby, Joseph Boutele, Kendal Boutele, Andrew Bradford, Samuel Bradford,
William Bradford, David Burns, John Burns, Joseph Butterfield, Oliver Carlton,
Benjamin Clark, Joseph Clark Jr., Thomas Clark, James Cochran, John Cole,
Jacob Curtice [sic Curtis], Benjamin Davis, John Davis, Benjamin Dresser,
Ebenezer Ellinwood, Ebenezer Ellinwood Jr., Jedediah Ellinwood, Joseph
Ellinwood, Francis Elliott, Elisha Felton, Simeon Fletcher, Nathan Fuller,
Richard Gould, Samuel Gray, David Hartshorn, John Harwood, Ephraim Hildreth,
Amey Hobbs, William Hogg, Ebenezer Holt, Ebenezer Holt Jr., J. Holt, Isaac How,
Solomon Hutchinson, William Jones, Nathan Kendall, Jonathan Lamson, Samuel
Lamson, Samuel Lamson Jr., William Lancy, Abijah Lovejoy, Benjamin Lovejoy,
Hezekiah Lovejoy, Joseph Lovejoy, Ephraim Lund, Ebenezer Lyon, Jonathan Lyon,
John McClernand, Timothy McIntire, William Melendy, Reuben Mussey, William Odall,
John Patterson, William Peabody, John Pettengill, Joseph Prince, Robert Read,
Alexander Robinson, Samuel Robinson, Hannah Rollins, James Rollins, Hugh Ross,
Andrew Seaton, John Seaton, Samuel Steaon, John Shepard, John Shepard Jr.,
Joseph Small, John Smith, Timothy Smith, Joseph Steel, Caleb Stiles, John
Stuart, Robert Stuart, Samuel Stuart, Benjamin Taylor, Israel Towne, Israel Town
Jr., Moses Towne, Thomas Towne, David Truel, Moses Truel, Caleb Upton, Thomas
Wakefield, William Wallace, Davis Walton, Reuben Walton, John Washer,
Stephen Washer, John Wasson, Daniel Weston, Ebenezer Weston, Ebenezer Weston Jr.
George Wiley, Amos Wilkins, Benjamin Wilkins, Daniel Wilkins, Lucy Wilkins,
William Wilkins and Mary Wilkins (110 in all).
Among the heaviest tax-payers were William Peabody, whose tax was 46:18s:3d;
Nathan Kendall, 39:11s:6d; Israel Towne, 34:1s:9d;
Joseph Prinace, 31p:7s:9d; and . . . JOSEPH STEELE, 30p:14s:3d. [A poll
tax was 3p:7s:6d].
he charter of the town
expiring by limitation on the 1st day of January 1762, a petition for its
renewal was granted January 7th, same year.
The first dismemberment of Souhegan West took place June 1, 1750, when, by the
amended charter of Merrimack, a strip of land and water, some thirteen hundred
and eighty rods in length, and averaging about one hundred and twenty-five rods
in width, was taken from Souhegan West and annexed to that town [Merrimack].
This change seems to have been overlooked by Governor Westworth at the time the
charter of Amherst was granted, its boundaries at that time being the same as
those given in the original survey. This boundary contention remained unsettled
until the autumn of 1832, when it was settled by a committee consisting of
Benjamin M. Farley of Hollis, Jesse Bowers of Dunstable, and John Wallace of
The town of Monson received a charter from Governor Wentworth April 1, 1746. It
was formerly a part of the town of Dunstable, as chartered by the General Court
of Massachusetts, Oct. 16, 1673, and came under the jurisdiction of New
Hampshire on the establishment of the boundary line between the provinces in
1741. The town of Hollis formed its southern boundary and the Souhegan River its
northern boundary. In 1754 a petition was presented to the Governor and Council
by the selectmen and other inhabitants of the town of Monson, asking that a
portion of Souhegan West, ajoining that town, and embracing about one-third of
the area of the township, might be annexed to Monson. On Oct 18, 1762, Daniel
Bayley, Robert Colburn, William Colburn, William Colburn Jr., Samuel Hayden,
Daniel Kendrick, Abraham Leman, Onesiphorous Marsh, Thomas Nevens, William
Nevens, Zaccheus Shattuck, Joseph Stearns, Samuel Stearns Jr., Daniel Wheeler
and James Wheeler, inhabitants of Monson, petitioned the Governor and Council to
be annexed to Hollis, but the petition was dismissed June 3, 1763. On the 4th
day of July 1770 a charter dividing the town of Monson between the towns of
Amherst and Hollis received the sanction of Governor John Wentworth, and thus
Monson died from among the towns of New Hampshire, after an existence of about
twenty-four years. It died, seized and possessed of a "pound" said to have been
the only public building ever erected within its borders.
Several other petitions were submitted to the General Court for new townships,
which were denied.
The second, or northwest parish of Amherst, was organized June 30, 1781, and
December 15, 1803 incorporated as the town of Mount [sic Mont] Vernon. The third
or southwest parish was set off November 23, 1782, and incorporated January 11,
1794 as the town of Milford.
Benjamin Taylor, Israel Towne, Benjamin Wilkins, Daniel Wilkins, and Daniel
Wilkins, Jr. No action seems to have been taken upon this petition.
**INCORPORATION OF THE TOWN OF AMHERST**
In answer to a petition of the inhabitants of Souhegan West, the town was
incorporated January 18, 1760. A meeting for the organization of the town, under
the charter, was held at the meeting-house, February 20, 1760 at which Colonel
JohN Goffe, was appointed to call the meeting, read the charter. Solomon
Hutchinson was chosen town clerk, and was immediately sworn to the faithful
execution and duties of the office. Colonel John Goffe was chosen moderator, and
the town voted to accept the charter. Solomon Hutchinson, William Bradford,
Reuben Mussey, Reuben Gould and Thomas Clark were chosen selectmen, David
Hartshorn and Nathan Kendall tithingmen, and the other usual town officials were
Nov 28, 1708 Salem, Essex, MA-
April 18, 1802 Washington, Sullivan, NH
Edward PUTNAM, Jr.
April 29, 1682 Salem Village, Essex, MA -
Oct 23, 1755 Middleton, Essex, MA
July 04, 1654 Salem Village, Essex, MA-
Mar 10, 1746/47 Middleton, Essex, MA
(Brother of Thomas Putnam, Jr. and his wife Ann Carr- connected to Salem
March 07, 1613/14-Aston Abbotts,
May 05, 1686 Salem Village, MA
IMMIGRANT abt 1630
January 17, 1579/80 Aston Abbotts,
.- December 30, 1662 Salem, Essex, MA IMMIGRANT abt
1540-1598 Buckingham, Eng
1556-1618 Buckingham, Eng ►
1586 Bovingdon, Hertfordshire, England -
1668 Salem, MA
1553-1597 Buckingham, Eng
1555-1597 Buckingham, Eng
Prudence Ann (Edward) HOLYOKE
Bef. Jan 18, 1618/19 Eng-
Sept 01, 1665 USA
1585 Stratford-1660 Essex, MA
1584 Stratford Eng-1665 MA.
1565-163 Stafford Eng
1564-abt 1629 England
July 15, 1660 Newbury, Essex, MA- March
Thomas Hale, III
11/18/1633 Herfordshire, Eng. - 10/22/1688 Essex, MA
Thomas HALE, Jr.
1606 England-1682 Essex, MA
Thomas H. HALE
1575-1630 Hertsford, Eng
1606 London -1683 Essex, MA
12/28/1663 Nothinghamshire, Eng-
12/8/1715 MA. IMMIG
1602 Eng- Salem, MA IMMIG
Thomas HUTCHINSON II
1569-1618 Eng ►
1605-1668 Salem, MA
May 25, 1686 Concord, Middlesex, MA-Bef.
John (Myles) MILES
?-Aug 26, 1693 Concord, Middlesex, MA
John (Myles) MILES
Abt. 1603 Wales or England -Concord, MA
IMMIGRANT bef 1639
Susannah (Goodnowe) GOODENOW
Dec. 21, 1647 Sudbury, Middlesex, MA
-Aft. Nov 1698
Thomas (Goodnowe) GOODENOW (widow
Abt. 1608 Wilts, England-
Oct 1666 Middlesex, MA
24 Apr 1638 Confidence
Thomas A. GOODENOW
1570 Dunhead, Eng.- Feb 6, 1618 Dunhead,
St. Andrews, Eng
Abt. 1535-1593 England
Ursula (Hayne Fayme) HAYME
Abt. 1590-1634 Dunhead, Eng
Jane (Ruddick) RUDDOCK
1613 Wilts, England-
January 15, 1665/66 Concord, Middlesex, MA
John (Ruddocke Rudducke) RUDDICK
Abt. 1590 Dorset, England-1693 Marlboro, Middlesex, MA
Abt. 1590 Dorset, England - May 09, 1686 Middlesex, MA