Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Prestonsburg Survey Map
Home Up Wills of John and Rebecca Graham Descendents of Christopher Graham Prestonsburg Survey Map Graham Cemetery Graham Tazewell Court Records Graham Genealogy Letters

 

Original 1797 Map of Prestonsburg
Drawn by John Graham

The First Plan of Prestonsburg

The following is an accurate copy of the official record relative to the location of the city of Prestonsburg.  As indicated below, this is a copy of the first record, which was lost when the first Floyd County Courthouse burned.  The original spelling and punctuation have be retained.  This survey was made originally on May 3, 1797, while the Big Sandy Valley was a part of Mason County.  John Graham was at this time a Deputy Surveyor of Mason County, Living near Prestons Station, which later became Prestonsburg:

Deed Book "A" Page 166
Floyd County Records

    A plan of a Town laid of on the north side Sandy River opposite the mouth of middle Creek, and to be known by the name of Prestonsburg as surveyed May 3rd 1797, by direction of Mayor Andrew Hood, Matthias Harman and Solomon Stratton Agents for the adventurers on Sandy under Col. John Prestons Grant.  The Town is divided into two parts, the upper or that which lies above the branch consists of 24 half acre lots the streets is 33 feet in width, running with 35 (degrees) West along the river and the cross Streets North 55 (degrees) East bye lots are 444 poles in front and 18 poles in length.  There is also surveyed adjoining said Town 30 five acre lots in peralelograms the same direction with the streets and are of the following Dimensions.  No. 1,2,3,4,5 & 6 are 86.86 9.21 Poles No. 7,8,9,10 and 11 are 72.36 by 11.05 poles.  No. 12, 13, 14 are 75 by 10.68 poles.  No. 15 is 100 by 8 poles.  No. 16 is 91 by 8.79 poles.  No. 17 is 82 by 9.75 poles.  No. 18 is 100 by 8 poles.  No. 19 is 88 by 9.49 poles.  No. 3, 4, 5, 6 is 60 by 13.32 poles, No. 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 is 40 by 20 poles, and there is 14 half acre lots on the River side of the main street And a Twenty Acre lot on the upper end of the Town.
                                                                    John Graham, D.S.M.C.

   

Over time, I would like to identify who lived on each lot.