It should be noted from the start that until we read the will of John Vaughan (4.) we have no real documentary evidence of the ancestry of Thomas Green Vaughan. Vaughan is a common name in Wales, where the first John Vaughan clearly originated, but a Harleian Society researcher in 1973 concluded that our first John Vaughan is unlikely to have been of St. Dogmael's, Pembrokeshire, as claimed in "Burke's Landed Gentry." Even less likely is a direct connection with "Golden Grove," the great Vaughan estate in Carmarthenshire ... but that did not stop our first Hector Vaughan from naming his estate in the former King's County Golden Grove.
1. JOHN VAUGHAN married JANE BULLEN.
Children of JOHN VAUGHAN and JANE BULLEN are:
2. i. HECTOR VAUGHAN.
ii. RICHARD VAUGHAN.
2. HECTOR VAUGHAN of Dromoyle and Knocknamease, King's County, Ireland, died in 1710. He married (1) MARY PEISLEY May 10, 1664, daughter of CAPT. WILLIAM PEISLEY. He married (2) ANNE WEBSTER 1685. Hector Vaughan had a grant of the fourth part of the estate of Terence (Coughlan, attainted of treason) by patent dated 30 Dec. 1688 and a grant of Tristan and Clonmacpoer dated 5 Feb 1670. He was high sheriff of King's County 1693 (Burke's Landed Gentry 1886 ed. p. 457)
Children of HECTOR VAUGHAN and MARY PEISLEY are:
3. i. WILLIAM PEISLEY VAUGHAN, born February 4, 1665/66, Golden Grove, Knocknamease.
ii. FRANCES VAUGHAN, married ROBERT HEDGES, Macroom, County Cork.
iii. JANE VAUGHAN, married JASPER GRANT, Kilmurray, County Cork, Ireland.
Children of HECTOR VAUGHAN and ANNE WEBSTER are:
4. iv. JOHN VAUGHAN, born August 15, 1698, Dromoyle, Ireland; died about 1720.
v. ANNA VAUGHAN, m. KILNER BRAZIER, Lizard, County Limerick, Ireland.
3. WILLIAM PEISLEY VAUGHAN was born February 4, 1665/66 in Golden Grove, Knocknamease. In 1697 he married ANNE SADLEIR, daughter of THOMAS SADLIER and MARY OLIVER. She was born about 1681 in Sopwell Hall, County Tipperary, and died December 12, 1710.
Children of WILLIAM VAUGHAN and ANNE SADLEIR are:
i. FRANCES VAUGHAN, born 1698; married RALPH WALLIS of Springmount, Queen's County, Ireland.
ii. MARY VAUGHAN, born 1700; died 1723.
iii. HECTOR BULLEN VAUGHAN, born 1701.
iv. ANNE VAUGHAN, born 1702; died 1723.
5. v. WILLIAM PEISLEY OLIVER SADLIER VAUGHAN, born 1703; died 1742.
vi. BRIDGET VAUGHAN, born 1706.
vii. JANE VAUGHAN, born 1708.
viii. LETITIA VAUGHAN, born 1710; married WILLIAM PENDRED, 1739, Broghillstown, County Carlow, Ireland.
4. JOHN VAUGHAN was born August 15, 1698 in Dromoyle, Ireland, and died about 1718. He married MARY HATWELL.
Children of JOHN VAUGHAN and MARY HATWELL named in his will are:
6. i. HECTOR VAUGHAN, died June 5, 1779, Fancroft, Rosecrea, King's County, Ireland.
ii. ELINOR VAUGHAN
5. WILLIAM PEISLEY OLIVER SADLIER VAUGHAN was born in 1703 and died 1742. He married MARY TRENCH October 5, 1738, in St. Mary's Church, Dublin.
Children of WILLIAM VAUGHAN and MARY TRENCH are:
7. i. WILLIAM PEISLEY VAUGHAN, born 1739; died 1809.
ii. MARY VAUGHAN, born 1741.
6. HECTOR VAUGHAN died June 5, 1779 in Fancroft, Rosecrea, King's County, Ireland. He names MARGARET STRINGWIDGE as the mother of all his children (except the eldest, John). There is no indication in his will of a marriage to his cousin Bridget as reported on Page 457 of the 1886 edition of Burke's Landed Gentry. It may be that he was nominally married to Bridget, but chose his own consort. "There is a mystery somewhere." Harold Vaughan wrote to his sister in 1923, "which I have never been able to solve. I have studied all the data I have been able to secure and have evolved what I consider a very plausible theory, namely that there was a very great incentive on the part of someone to dispute the legitimacy of the children of Hector Vaughan and Margaret Stringwidge."
Child of HECTOR VAUGHAN and ANNE DOEGE or DYKE is:
i. JOHN VAUGHAN
Children of HECTOR VAUGHAN and MARGARET STRINGWIDGE are:
8. ii. HECTOR VAUGHAN, died March 18, 1814, Mountrath, Queen's County, Ireland.
iii. RICHARD VAUGHAN.
iv. MARY VAUGHAN
v. MARGARET VAUGHAN.
vi. WILLIAM VAUGHAN. He may have emigrated to Virginia.
7.WILLIAM PEISLEY VAUGHAN was born in 1739, and died in 1809. He married MARY SYNGE in June 1764. She was born in Killaloe, and died in 1803.
Children of WILLIAM VAUGHAN and MARY SYNGE are:
i. WILLIAM PEISLEY VAUGHAN, born 1774.
ii. RICHARD VAUGHAN, married CATHERINE LATHAM; born Killenall.
9. iii. MARTHA VAUGHAN, born 1781; died 1849.
iv. ELIZABETH VAUGHAN.
v. SOPHIA VAUGHAN.
8. HECTOR VAUGHAN died March 18, 1814 in Mountrath, Queen's County, Ireland. He married ANNE GETTY. She was born about 1768, and died October 26, 1800, in Dublin. Children of HECTOR VAUGHAN and ANNE GETTY are:
i. HECTOR VAUGHAN, a priest of the Church of Ireland, died 1837, married NANNY BARLOW. Childless.
ii. JOHN VAUGHAN, "a most affectionate brother to my father."
10. iii. THOMAS GREEN VAUGHAN, born April 20, 1789, Fancroft, Rosecrea, King's County, Ireland; died December 6, 1836, Elizabeth City, N.C. Emigrated to America around 1809.
iv. FRANCIS VAUGHAN, who "ran away from home when a boy and traced to the West Indies."
The notes in quotes above are from a memoir by Frank S. Vaughan, a son of Thomas Green Vaughan.
There is a persistent rumor that an "Uncle William" preceded Thomas Green Vaughan to America, settling in Norfolk, Va. He may be the William Vaughan noted above. The Norfolk (Va.) Gazette and Public Ledger dated April 22, 1812, notes the passing of Mrs. Vaughan, relict of the late William Vaughan, Esqr. of this place. Perhaps more research will bring the facts to light.
9. MARTHA VAUGHAN was born in 1781, and died in 1849 at Fancroft. She married JOHN LLOYD.
Child of MARTHA VAUGHAN and JOHN LLOYD is:
11. i. MARY VAUGHAN LLOYD, born 1824.
10. THOMAS GREEN VAUGHAN: Emigrant to America: See “Descendants of Thomas Green Vaughan”
11. MARY VAUGHAN LLOYD was born in 1824. She married SAMUEL DAWSON HUTCHINSON.
Child of MARY LLOYD and SAMUEL HUTCHINSON is:
i. WILLIAM PEISLEY HUTCHINSON LLOYD-VAUGHAN, born at Golden Grove, Knocknamease; he married ELIZABETH DARBY in 1844.
Work here is ongoing, and documentation will be added to this site. Many, many thanks to Cousin Mary Vaughan in Australia for her research and help with this lineage. Questions, additions, corrections? Write to me, Emily Randall, at firstname.lastname@example.org
(1.-11)1. Burke's Landed Gentry 1886 ed. p 457.
Will of John Vaughan of Dromoyle, King's County.
Will of Hector Vaughan of Fancroft, King's County.
Will of Hector Francis Vaughan of Myshall, County Carlow
Papers, Harold Cowper Vaughan
Back to Vaughan lineage
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids