RICHARD SANFORD was born 1535 in Stanstead, Mount Fichet, Essex, England, and died there November 15, 1591. In 1556 he married ELIZABETH COGGESHALL in Much Hadham, Hertfordshire. She was born 1537 in Stanstead and died there September 15, 1600.
Children of RICHARD SANFORD and ELIZABETH COGGESHALL are:
i. ROBART SANFORD
ii. RICHARD SANFORD, d. 1631, North Weald, Essex County, England.
iii. HENRY SANFORD.
iv. ELIZABETH SANFORD.
2. v. THOMAS SANFORD, born 1556, Stanstead, died April 6, 1597, Much Hadham, Hertfordshire.
2. THOMAS SANFORD was born 1556 in Stanstead and died April 6, 1597 in Much Hadham. He married (1) FRISWITH EVE, who was born after 1539, and died 1581 in Stanstead. He married (2) MARY MELLETT LEWES September 21, 1581. She was born 1563 in Much Hadham and died 1620.
Children of THOMAS SANFORD and FRISWITH EVE are:
i. PRISCILLA SANFORD.
ii. ZACHARY SANFORD.
iii. SARAH SANFORD.
iv. DAMARIS SANFORD.
Child of THOMAS SANFORD and MARY LEWES is:
3. v. EZEKIEL SANFORD, born February 20, 1585/86 in Stanstead died there 1683.
3. EZEKIEL SANFORD was born February 20, 1585/86 in Stanstead and died there in 1683. In 1607 he married ROSE WARNER in Hatfield Broad Oak, Essex, England. She was born 1583 in Hatfield, and died after 1612 in Great Waltham, Essex. Ezekiel Sanford was baptized February 20, 1585/86, in Much Hadham.
Children of EZEKIEL SANFORD and ROSE WARNER are:
4. i. THOMAS ANDREW SANFORD, born 1607 in Hatfield, died October 9, 1681, in Milford, New Haven County, Connecticut.
ii. JOHN SANFORD, born 1609, Stanstead, died 1679.
iii. EZEKIEL SANFORD, born December 26, 1612, Stanstead, died September 5, 1678. He married REBECCA WIEKLE, in April 1665, in Stanstead. She was born there in 1625.
iv. ROBERT SANFORD, born 1615, Stanstead; died Hartford, Connecticut.
v. ANDREW SANFORD, born 1617; died in Milford, New Haven County., Conn.
vi. SAMUEL SANFORD, born 1619, Stanstead, died in infancy.
vii. MARY SANFORD, born 1622, Stanstead.
viii. JONATHAN SANFORD, born 1624, Stanstead.
ix. ZACHARY SANFORD, born 1625; died 1668.
x. NATHANIEL SANFORD, born 1627; died 1687.
4. THOMAS ANDREW SANFORD was born 1607 in Hatfield, Essex County, England, and died October 9, 1681 in Milford, New Haven County, Conn. He married (1) SARAH MEADOWS. She died after 1643 in Milford. In 1636, he married (2) DOROTHEA MEADOWS in Dorchester, Massachusetts. She was born 1610 in Stowemarket, Suffolk County, England, and died October 5, 1683 in Fairfield, Conn.
Child of THOMAS SANFORD and SARAH MEADOWS is:
i. MARY SANFORD, born January 16, 1640/41.
Children of THOMAS SANFORD and DOROTHEA MEADOWS are:
5. ii. EZEKIEL SANFORD, born 1636, Dorchester, Suffolk County, Mass.; died October 5, 1683, Fairfield, Conn.
iii. SARAH SANFORD, born 1639, Dorchester, Mass.; died before 1733. She married RICHARD SHUTE on August 14, 1656.
iv. SAMUEL SANFORD, born April 30, 1643; died November 27, 1691, Milford, Conn. He married HANNAH BRONSON on August 16, 1674.
v. THOMAS SANFORD, born December 1644, in Milford, Conn.; died after 1688, New Haven, Conn. He married (1) ELIZABETH GIBBARD; and (2) ELIZABETH PAINE.
vi. EPHRAIM SANFORD, born May 17, 1646, Milford, Conn.; died January 14, 1724/25.
vii. ELIZABETH SANFORD, born August 27, 1648; died April 17, 1712; She married DEACON OBEDIAH ALLYN, August 28, 1669; he was born in Middletown, Conn.
5. EZEKIEL SANFORD was born 1636 in Dorchester, Mass., and died October 5, 1683 in Fairfield, Conn. He married REBECCA WHELPLEY in 1665. She was born 1635 in Stratford, Conn. and died 1697 in Fairfield, Conn. Ezekiel Sanford settled in Fairfield, Conn. before 1660 and survived his father by only two years. He was listed as a freeman there in 1669. The contents of his estate suggest that he was a tanner by trade.
Children of EZEKIEL SANFORD and REBECCA WHELPLEY are:
i. SARAH SANFORD, born 1667; died 1753. She married CORNELIUS HULL.
6. ii. EZEKIEL SANFORD, born March 6, 1668/69, Fairfield, Conn; died March 2, 1728/29.
iii. MARY SANFORD, born April 3, 1670, Fairfield, Conn.; died 1710. She married (1) THEOPHILUS HULL; and (2) JOSEPH ASHBOURNE.
iv. REBECCA SANFORD, born December 13, 1672; died 1726. She married JOHN SEELEY.
v. THOMAS SANFORD, born May 2, 1675; died May 20, 1757, Fairfield, Conn. He married HANNAH MIDDLEBROOK.
vi. MARTHA SANFORD, born July 9, 1677; she married NATHANIEL HOYT.
vii. ELIZABETH SANFORD, born September 6, 1679; she married JOSHUA JACKSON.
6. EZEKIEL SANFORD was born March 6, 1668/69 in Fairfield, Conn. and died March 2, 1728/29. He married REBEKAH GREGORY before 1697. She was born 1673, and died 1765.
Children of EZEKIEL SANFORD and REBEKAH GREGORY are:
7. i. LEMUEL SANFORD, born December 16, 1699, Fairfield, Conn.; died April 25, 1780.
8. ii. SAMUEL SANFORD, born February 20, 1705/06.
7. LEMUEL SANFORD was born December 16, 1699, in Fairfield, Conn and died April 25, 1780. He married REBECCA SQUIRES May 12, 1730. She was born June 17, 1705, and died March 26, 1779 in Redding, Conn.
Child of LEMUEL SANFORD and REBECCA SQUIRES is:
9. i. EZEKIEL SANFORD, born June 30, 1742, Fairfield, Conn.; died March 8, 1808, Redding, Conn.
8. SAMUEL SANFORD was born February 20, 1705/06. He married SARAH MEEKER.
Child of SAMUEL SANFORD and SARAH MEEKER is:
i. ABIGAIL SANFORD, born January 16, 1742/43; she married JOHN HAWLEY; born 1739.
9. EZEKIEL SANFORD was born June 30, 1742, in Fairfield, Conn. and died March 8, 1808, in Redding, Conn. He married (1) SARAH STURGES. She died March 21, 1771 in Redding. He married (2) ABIGAIL DIBBLE STARR November 21, 1773. She was born March 24, 1748/49, and died July 18, 1827 in Redding Conn. Ezelkiel and both wives are buried in Umpawaug Cemetery.
According to the Adjutant General's Book of Connecticut Men in the War of Revolution p.616, "Ezekiel Sanford of Redding, Conn. served as 1st Lieut in Capt. Zalmond Read's Co.; Col. G.S. Silliman's Regt raised in 1776; and re-entered Conn Line 1777. Capt. in Col. Bizaleel's Rgt. raised spring of 1780.
Children of EZEKIEL SANFORD and SARAH STURGES are:
i. SARAH SANFORD, died March 21, 1771, Redding Conn. She is buried in Umpewaug Cemetery
ii. BENJAMIN SANFORD, born July 17, 1768, Redding, Conn.; died 1856, Germantown. N.Y.; He married SARAH OLMSTEAD; she was born 1745; died June 7, 1822.
Children of EZEKIEL SANFORD and ABIGAIL DIBBLE STARR are:
iii. MOLLIE SANFORD, born August 16, 1774, Boston District, Redding, Conn.; she married JOHN DREW; he died 1862, Sheboygan, Wis.
iv. REBECCA SANFORD, born November 10, 1776, Boston District, Redding,; she married HEZEKIAH HAWLEY.
v. EZEKIEL SANFORD, born September 11, 1778; died in infancy.
10. vi. ABIGAIL STARR SANFORD, born November 10, 1779, Boston District, Redding; died July 13, 1813, Albany, N.Y.
11. vii. CLARISSA SANFORD, born February 23, 1786, Boston District, Redding; died August 12, 1838.
10. ABIGAIL STARR SANFORD was born November 10, 1779 in Boston District, Redding, and died July 13, 1813 in Albany, N.Y. She married BENJAMIN GREGORY November 14, 1797. He was born July 27, 1774 in Wilton, Conn., son of EZRA GREGORY and HANNAH BETTS. He died March 19, 1842 in Albany, N.Y. According to "The Descendants of Henry Gregory" Benjamin Gregory had moved from Wilton, Conn. to nearby Redding by 1796. He was an innkeeper. By 1808 he and his family had moved to Albany, N.Y.
Children of ABIGAIL STARR SANFORD and BENJAMIN GREGORY are:
i. WALTER GREGORY, born February 14, 1798, Redding, Ct.; died April 30, 1802.
12. ii. DUDLEY SANFORD GREGORY, born February 5, 1800, Redding Conn.; died December 8, 1874, Jersey City, N.J..
iii. WALTER GREGORY, born January 28, 1803, Redding Conn.; died September 21, 1857; He married (1) ANGELINE M. VANDERHEYDEN and (2) AMANDA KELLY. She was born September 1803 and died July 12, 1864.
iv. BENJAMIN PITT GREGORY, born March 12, 1805, Redding Conn.; died August 23, 1858. He married ANN MARIA SCHAFER. She was born January 12, 1812 and died November 17, 1876.
v. CLARA BARTLETT GREGORY, born September 16, 1807, Redding, Conn.; died July 28, 1845. She married GEORGE O. CATLIN, the noted painter; on May 9, 1828, at St. Peter's Church, Albany. He was born July 26, 1796 and died December 25, 1872. The couple is buried in Greenwood Cemetery, Brooklyn, N.Y.
vi. JAMES GILBERT GREGORY, born February 13, 1811 and died October 7, 1865. He married Eliza Morgan on August 2, 1836. She was born in 1813 and died August 2, 1901.
11. CLARISSA SANFORD was born February 23, 1786, in Boston District, Redding, Conn., and died August 12, 1838. She married WILLIAM BARTLETT.
Children of CLARISSA SANFORD and WILLIAM BARTLETT are:
i. WILLIAM S.BARTLETT, born January 23, 1809; he married JANE REYNOLDS.
ii. HENRY BARTLETT, born 1812; died December 27, 1832.
iii. CLARISSA BARTLETT, born 1821; died May 11, 1863; she married THOMAS WADE.
12. DUDLEY SANFORD GREGORY was born February 5, 1800 in Redding Conn., and died December 8, 1874 in Jersey City, N.J.. He married ANNA MARIA LYON on September 10, 1822 in Albany, N.Y. the marriage was performed by the Rev. Mr. Lacey. Anna Maria Lyon was a daughter of ELIJAH LYON and MARY DUNLEAVY. She was born April 14, 1805 in Albany, N.Y., and died May 18, 1871 in Jersey City. The couple is buried in Greenwood Cemetery, Brooklyn, N.Y.
A marble bust of Anna Maria is in the possession of a descendant in New York City; a companion bust of her husband is said to be in Jersey City City Hall. Her father is said to have been a captain in the Royal Navy; this is plausible but undocumented. Dudley Sanford Gregory worked as chief clerk of the Erie Canal in Albany, then moved to New York City where he lived in Lower Broadway. The family moved to Jersey City in 1832, thinking it would outstrip New York in growth. He helped develop the city, and was mayor from its incorporation in 1838 to his death. A Whig, he served as a U.S. Representative from 1847-49 and helped found the Republican Party. He was president of the Erie Railroad Co. and of a ferry company operating between New York and Jersey City; director in 16 railroad companies, chief owner of Adirondack Steel Co.; he supplied docks for the Cunard Line; and backed Horace Greeley in the establishment of the New York Tribune. He was a generous philanthropist. He was the brother-in-law of the noted painter George Catlin and had Catlin's body reburied in Greenwood Cemetery. He was guardian to the children of Catlin and his wife, Clarissa Bartlett Catlin. According to"The Makings of the Lincoln Association of Jersey City," by William H. Richardson, 1919, "Just where to start the story is very difficult to say. Jersey City was chartered Feb. 22, 1838. Her first mayor and citizen for a long, long lifetime, was born in Connecticut and was eminent in the work of the American Colonization Society. Dudley S. Gregory's acquaintance with the principles that Abraham Lincoln was going to die for, was more than theoretical that far back." On the president's visit to New York, "Mr. Lincoln recognized and chatted with Hon. D.S. Gregory, who had been his colleague in Congress."
Anna Maria Lyon and her sister Eliza were baptized together in August 2, 1812, in St. Peter's Church, Albany. Anna Maria was confirmed September 5, 1813, in the same church.
Eliza, born about 1803, married Henry Steele and raised a large family of her own, mostly in Jersey City, which I am now researching. Dudley Sanford Gregory left an annuity for "Eliza Steele, the sister of my deceased wife" which was paid until her death February 10, 1891. Her husband died September 3, 1878.
Children of DUDLEY SANFORD GREGORY and ANNA MARIA LYON are:
i. CAROLINE GREGORY, born June 12, 1823, died October 17, 1824.
ii. MARY LOUISA, born April 28, 1825; died February 19, 1827. She married Dr. Josiah H. Gautier on December 10, 1844. He was born November 12, 1814 and died April 1, 1895.
iii. CLARA BARTLETT, born July 12, 1826, died January 9, 1887. She married Cornelius Kingsland Sutton on January 2, 1846. He was born March 28, 1818, died February 1875.
iv. GEORGE WASHINGTON GREGORY, born November 23, 1827; died May 17, 1864. He married Margaret Henderson on December 12, 1850. She was born March 18, 1831 and died February 6, 1858.
v. JOSEPH, born October 3, 1829, died March 18, 1832.
vi. DUDLEY SANFORD GREGORY JR, born August 28, 1831; died February 15, 1886. He married Rebecca Frances Olney on August 3, 1853. She was born November 30, 1833 and died May 13, 1884.
vii. ANN ELIZA, born December 29, 1832 and died July 3, 1834
viii. ANN MARIA, born July 6, 1834; died April 10, 1915. She married George Clarke on June 21, 1853. He was born July 7, 1822 and died July 8, 1889
ix. WALTER GREGORY, born December 27, 1835; died July 30, 1870. He married Emily Maria James on June 19, 1859.
x. CHARLES EDWARD GREGORY, born November 15, 1837; died April 1, 1917. He married (1) Alice Woolfolk Maury, on November 22, 1860. She was born April 21, 1840 and died March 4, 1863 without children. He married (2) Fannie M. Sims, on September 2, 1873. She was born Nov. 23, 1847 and died October 26, 1877.
It appears that this family and David Henderson Gregory's family maintained ties, as several photographs of family members were preserved in a family album.
xi. BENJAMIN, born September 26, 1839; died February 19, 1885. He married (1) Fanny N. Ellmaker, on May 23, 1864. She was born June 12, 1845. The couple divorced in 1870. His second wife was "the Widow Smith." No children in either marriage.
xii. LAURA DREW GREGORY, born November 9, 1840, died November 26, 1840.
xiii. ARCHIBALD MCINTYRE GREGORY, born December 8, 1842, died June 4, 1874. He married Kate D. Worthington on May 26, 1864. She was born August 14, 1842 and died October 4, 1865.
xiv. DAVID HENDERSON GREGORY, born October 27, 1844, Jersey City, N.J.; died June 17, 1932, Virginia Beach, Va. He married Emily Weld Randall on June 11, 1872.
14. CHARLES EDWARD GREGORY was born November 15, 1837; died April 1, 1917. He married Fannie M. Sims on September 2, 1873. .
Children of CHARLES EDWARD GREGORY and FANNIE M. SIMS are:
i. FANNIE MARIAN GREGORY, born June 4, 1874; died September 19, 1923, unmarried.
ii. DR. ALICE GREGORY, born September 28, 1876. She was a physician serving with the U.S. Army in the Great War.
iii. FRANCE GREGORY, born October 25,1877; died April 3, 1951. She married ERNEST TYLER on December 16, 1911. No children.
For early Sanford material, I am entirely indebted to "Descendants of Richard Sanford," by Bruce R. Bender.
Gregory material come from "The Descendants of Henry Gregory" by Grant Gregory, published in 1938; a genealogical chart compiled by Henderson B. Gregory in 1951, and the David Henderson Gregory family bible. I have access to a great deal of Gregory data compiled by others; write to email@example.com and tell me what you need.
Research on the background of Anna Maria Lyon is my own.