Search billions of records on

Notes for George Schleicher:

The Family of George Schleicher & Katie Claus

Passenger list ship "SS Aller", arrived New York December 25, 1886
Captain H. Christoffers, sailed from Bremen
Hannes Schleicher, age 45, Miner
Catha, age 45
George, age 12
Gottlieb, age 5
Family from Russia, 2 pieces of luggage, in Steerage
376 Steerage passengers with 267 trunks, cases & packages

Hall Co., NE Marriage Book 5, p. 372
George Schleicher, age 22, born Russia, resident Grand Island, NE, father: John Schleicher, mother: Katie Kern
Katie Clauss, age 21, born Russia, resident Grand Island, NE, father: Conrad Clauss, mother: Katie Miller
Married Sept. 30, 1894 by Fred Gafert, Ev. Luth. Pastor. Witnesses: Conrad Clauss & Mrs. Catherine Schleicher

Nebraska Dept of Health - Bureau of Vital Statistics, Lincoln, NE
Certificate of Delayed Birth Registration #2-193926
Dated Feb. 22, 1957
Blanche Dora Schleicher, date of birth May 18, 1895, female, birthplace Grand Island, Hall Co., NE. Father George Schleicher, S-426, white, born 1875 in Germany. Mother Catherine Claus, white, born 1875 in Norka Russia
Class "A" Photostatic copy of Baptismal Certificate, Baptized June 18, 1895, Evangelical Lutheran Church, Grand Island, NE
Class "A" Photostatic copy application for life insurance, Royal Neighbors of America, dated July 24, 1917.

1900 census Grand Island, Hall Co., NE
617 Koenig St., household #130/140
Katie Schleiger, head, Feb 1844, age 56, widowed, 10 births, 2 surviving children, Germany/Germany/Germany, imm 1886, in US 14 yrs, Launderess
Gottlieb, son, Oct 1881, age 18, Germany/Germany/Germany, imm 1886, in US 14 yrs, day laborer
610 Koenig St., household #131/141
George Schleiger, Feb 1874, age 26, married 6 years, Germany/Germany/Germany, imm. 1886, Saloon
Katie, wife, Apr 1874, age 26, married 6 years, 3 births, 2 surviving children, Germany/Germany/Germany, imm 1891 in US 9 yrs
Blanche, daughter, May 1895, age 5, NE/Germany/Germany
John, son, Jan 1897, age 3, NE/Germany/Germany
Conrad Glous, father-in-law, Feb 1849, age 5, Russia/Russia/Russia, imm 1891 in US 9 yrs, day laborer
Adam, brother-in-law, Mar 1890 (?? was listed as age 5 months on ship passenger list in 1891), age 10, imm 1891, in US 9 yrs Germany/Russia/Russia
John, April 1892, age 8, NE/Russia/Russia

1910 census Grand Island, Hall Co., Nebraska
George Schleicher, head, age 35, married 16 years, Russia/Russia/Russia, Imm 1887, Naturalized, Proprietor Saloon
Kathrine, wife, age 36, married 16 years, 4 births, 2 surviving children, Russia/Russia/Russia, Imm 1892
Blanch, daughter, age 15, NE/Russia/Russia
John, son, age 14, NE/Russia/Russia

Remembrance card:
George Schleicher
Died Oct. 7, 1914

Article in Grand Island newspaper:
Geo. Schleicher Succumbs to Unexplained Injuries
Found Early in Gibbon Saloon, Where He Was Employed. Wounded, and Death Results in Few Hours, Schleicher Not Explaining

What looks very much like a case of murder developed this morning at 10:30, when George Schleicher, bartender of the Vienna saloon, died at the St. Francis hospital from injuries received earlier in the morning. At 6:30 his body was found in the saloon with blood flowing from a bad wound in the back of his head and from another at the top, as also a bruise on the face. Dr. E.E. Farnsworth was called and ordered the man taken to the hospital at once where the hemmorhage was stopped and the wounds sewed. At 10:30 a rush call was received to the hospital and by the time physicians had arrived Mr. Schleicher had passed away, it is presumed from concussion of the brain. How the wounds were inflicted seems to be a mystery, though a number of men have been taken in custody. The injuries were not considered serious at first, and the officers were not notified until after the death occurred, and the case was placed in the hands of coroner C.J. Baumann.
J.I. Karr, residing at 422 North Pine Street, was the first man to discover the body. He came early to get a drink after a sleepless night, owing to an injury to his back. It was a 6:30 that he looked into the rear door and saw the feet of Mr. Schleicher and on opening the door saw the body on the floor with the head and shoulders leaning up against a case of beer. Gus sat, a night waiter, and F.E. Forbes, were called by Karr and the three found Schleicher lying unconscious with the mop and mop bucket near by. On moving the body a clot of blood fell from the head to the arm, indicating that Mr. Schleicher must have been lying there for some time. He was removed to the basement to wash off the wounds and later taken to the hosptial. The front door of the saloon was open and the screen was not hooked and it is quite evident that the man who struck the blows, if any, made his getaway through this entrance. It was at first supposed that the injuries to the head might have been caused by striking the edge of a beer case, but the blood marks show plainly that it did not come in contact with anything but the side where the head was resting.
Mr. Farnsworth states that he was called about 6:45 to come to the Vienna saloon. He found the victim in the basement, whither he had been carried by those discovering him and others called by them. He had the patient removed to the hospital. He found a large wound on the back of the head, in circular shape and another smaller one on top of the head, which wounds, the doctor thought, could not have been made in a fall unless there was a second projectile protruding exactly the right spot to make a second slight wound. At this time the doctor had not visited the exact spot of the apparent fall as indicated by the position of the body and the beer boxes adjacent thereto. Dr. Farnsworth state that during the course of the treatment, and after the bandaging of the wound and the putting of the patient in as comfortable a condition as it was possible to do, during and after this he had asked Mr. Schleicher how the accident had happened. However there were unintelligent replies only, such as "Where am I" "What's the matter," etc. He responded, when asked if he was feeling better, that he was all right. But he was generally in a dazed condition and could give no coherent account of the matter. In fact practically nothing bearing upon the origin of his injuries was received from the patient.
That Mr. Schleicher received his injuries between 6:15 and 6:30 has been definitely reached. James Hughes, iceman for C.E. Keat, was in the saloon at 6:15 and at that time there was nothing wrong whatever. To the question "How much ice?" Mr. Schleicher answered "one and a half". The 150 pounds were delivered. At the time a bucket of hot water was standing on the floor and when Mr. Hughes left Mr. Schleicher was working on the ice behind the bar. At 6:30 the discovery of Schleicher lying unconscious was made. Robbery surely was not the motive as nothing was taken and his money was still in the pockets of the man when searched by Coroner Baumann.
Fred Thomas, steward at the Palmer House bar, was questioned by Chief Arbogast and others. He went by the Vienna bar room at 5:20 in the morning. Both Thomas and Hughes, as also Karr, were held this afternoon for further interrogation.
The strange thing about the affair is that Mr. Schleicher would not give out any information regarding his injuries. His mind seemed to be blank when it came to this. He answered Dr. Farnsworth incoherently, but to each of the three questions "Did someone hit you?", "did you fall?", and "How did you get there?" his answers were "I don't know".
Mrs. Schleicher was called to St. Francis hospital at ten o'clock and her husband talked to her, she was greatly shocked to hear an hour later that he had died. When she arrived at the hospital, Mr. Schleicher was walking around with his head bandaged. She asked how it happened and Mr. Schleicher responded "I don't know." He said he knew nothing of it. He complained of a headache but said otherwise he was feeling fine. On leaving he said he would be home tomorrow and bade his little girl goodbye, patting her on the back as she left with her mother.
At the Schleicher home at 610 East Koenig street, at noon, it was learned that the father came home last night at nine o'clock. He seldom returns at this hour, and the wife reported that she seldom prepares supper for her husband until last night. He seemed to be feeling better than he has for some time, though he did not sleep well and was restless. He left the house at five o'clock this morning without breakfast, taking his morning meal up town. Mr. Schleicher was 39 years of age on the 13th of February and has resided in Grand Island for many years. Besides his wife there are two children in the family.
Coroner Baumann has been gathering evidence in the case, assisted by Attorney Cunningham and other officers, but up to this afternoon there was nothing tangible which would furnish any clue to work on. A taxi-cab driver who was in front of the buffet this morning was interviewed but he could throw no further light on the case. The remains were taken in charge by Coroner Baumann and taken to the Stevens-Baumann & O'Malley Undertaking parlors where they will be held pending further investigation and until after an inquest is held.
This afternoon Attorney Cunningham ordered a postmortem examination to be made and the same is tak-

----- Original Message -----
From: Harold Schleicher <>
To: <>
Cc: <>; <>
Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2000 4:53 PM
Subject: George Schleicher New Clippings

Following is the text of some news clippings regarding George's death. I'll also attach them as a work file for your convenience.

thanks, harold

Inquest Tomorrow
Wed. Oct. 7, 1914 (Grand Island Independent)

Effort to Secure Further Information in Schleicher Case

Coroner Baumann and County Attorney Cunningham are making an effort to secure further evidence in the death of George Schleicher, but up to noon have secured nothing to indicate how the man was injured and the case is as much of a mystery as ever. C. A. Pleyte, S. D. Ross, John Alexander, A. S. Voorhes, Gus Neumann and Sam Nelson were summoned this morning as jurors to view the remains and after doing so they were excused until nine o'clock tomorrow morning when the inquest will be held. By this time the officers hope to have more information to lay before them.
Drs. E. E. Farnsworth, Boyden and Phelan performed a post mortum examination over the remains of George Schleicher yesterday afternoon on the instructions of County Attorney Cunningham and their finding was presented to Coroner Baumann. There were two wounds on the left side of the head at the back. One was two inches long while the other was more of a puncture of the skull. The examination showed that there was a fracture of the skull at the base of the brain and death resulted from a shock or hemmorhage which followed. The assertion was ventured that it was possible that the wounds were made in a fall, but not probable.
The funeral of George Schleicher will take place Thursday afternoon at two o'clock from the residence at 619 East Koenig Street. Rev. Michelman will conduct the services.

Fri. Oct. 9, 1914 (Grand Island Independent)

The funeral of George Schleicher took place at 2 o'clock this afternoon from the residence on East Koenig Street and was largely attended. Rev. Michelman of the German Lutheran Church on West Seventh Street, conducted the service.