Search billions of records on

Notes for Lula LaPlant Mackie Dyer

The Families of John Elmer "Jack" Dyer
The Family of John LaPlant & Mary Huard

Also known as Lulu LaPlant.

1900 census Florence, Fremont Co., CO
Household #678/728
John LaPlant, head, Jan 1846, age 54, married 30 yrs, French Canada/French Canada/French Canada, Immigrated 1870, in US 30 yrs, brick manufacturer
Mary, wife, Feb 1851, age 49, married 30 yrs, 11 births, 9 surviving children, French Canada/French Canada/French Canada, Immigrated 1870, in US 30 yrs,
Edward, son, Feb 1879, age 21, VT/French Canada/French Canada, brick mason
Minnie, daughter, Mar 1881, age 19, NE/French Canada/French Canada
Annie, daughter. Aug 1885, age 14, NE/French Canada/French Canada
Lulu, daughter, Feb 1888, age 12, KS/French Canada/French Canada
Nellie, daughter, Apr 1890, age 10, KS/French Canada/French Canada

1905-1906 Florence City, CO Dir. - John & Mary LaPlant, contractor, LaPlant brick yard W 1st St. res. W. 1st St.

1906-1907 Florence City Dir. -
J.E. Dyer, rms McCandless Blk
Edward & Jean LaPlant, brklayer, res. 223 E. 6th St.
Miss Lula LaPlant, operator Colorado Telephone Co., res. W. 1st St W N Houston Ave.
John & Mary LaPlant, contractor and prop LaPlant Brick yard, res. 1st St, W N Houston Ave.

Dec. 30, 1908 - Marriage of Milton Mackie & Lulu LaPlant in Florence by a Catholic Priest named Edmund Butz. Witnesses were George P. Nix and Jean LaPlant (I think she was Lulu's sister-in-law, Jean was wife of Edward La Plant).

Aug. 29, 1908 - Free Methodist evangelist license renewed for Mrs. Ollie Dyer at Monett, Lawrence Co., MO. Chairman W.C. Bastian, Sec'y Eliza Witherspoon.

1909 CC school census - Harold (8), 608 Mystic

1909 Florence City Dir -
John Dyer, bartender, J.R. Miller, rms 127 1-2 Main
Edward & Jean LaPlant, brick layer, 542 W. Main
John & Mary LaPlant, contractor & brick mfr. res W. First near Houston Ave.
Nellie LaPlant, boards John LaPlant
Milton L. & Lulu Mackie, Mackie & Bailey barbers 103 W. Main, res 110 Robinson Ave.

1910 census Precinct 8 Florence City, Fremont Co., CO, taken April 27, 1910
John Dyer (roomer), age 33, listed as married 8 years, first marriage. b. MO, father born Can. Eng, mother born IL. Occupation bartender saloon.
(Notes: Listed as rooming in household of Ida M. Pale at address 109 1\2 Main St. Other roomers were William H. Kennedy, David Ives and Charles Caleb. Number of years married isn't correct - he married Ollie in 1899 so had been married 11 years. Had been separated for 8 years - maybe census taker misunderstood and it should have read Divorced 8 years?)

1910 census Precinct 8 Florence City, Fremont Co., CO, taken April 25, 1910
Milton L. Mackie (head), age 30, md. 1 year, 1st marriage. b. IA f.OH m. Ire.
Lulu (wife), age 22, md. 1 year, 1st marriage. b. KS. Parents born French Canada
(Note: Milton's occupation listed as barber. Lulu listed as having no births)

1910 census Glendale Precinct #10. Fremont Co., CO, taken April 15, 1910.
John LaPlant (head), age 65
Mary (wife) age 64
(Notes - listed as married 33 years. Mary listed as having 9 births with 8 children surviving at time of census. Both listed as born in French Canada with both parents born in French Canada. Both listed as emigrating in 1880. John listed as naturalized. John's occupation listed as brickmason)
1911 Florence CO business Directory
Fremont Pressed Brick Co, Jno La Plant prop.
Mackie & Bailey, barbers.

When I was in Canon City, CO in 1998 one of the things I did was leave some money for a search for any divorce records for John Elmer & Ollie (Phillips) Dyer or Milton & Lula (LaPlant) Mackie in Fremont County, CO. I got a mailing from them containing divorce papers for Milton & Lula - the gist was that there was a court hearing July 6, 1915 about the divorce, and Lula showed up but Milton didn't. Apparently he had disappeared before February 1915, and no one had been able to find him to serve papers. Publication had been made for 5 consecutive weeks in Canon City, Colorado Springs and Alamosa newspapers, but there had been no response and Milton was believed to have left the state and "conceals himself so that process cannot be served upon him." The papers state that Lula is filing for divorce because Milton was a habitual drunkard, and that "for more than on whole year next prior to the commencement of this Action the said Defendant failed and refused to make reasonable provision for the support of said Plaintiff, he, the said defendant, being in good bodily health all of said time". The court found all evidence supported Lula's claim, dissolved the marriage, and stated that Lula was permitted to resume the use of her maiden name, Lula LaPlant "which said henceforth will be her true and lawful name" - however neither party was allowed to remarry anyone else until a full year had passed from the date of the court hearing (in other words Lula wasn't legally free to remarry John Elmer Dyer until July 6, 1916). Also Lula had to pay the costs for the divorce.

June 5, 1916 Raton, NM record: John E. Dyer, age 39, born Pierce City, MO, 12 Jul 1876, married 5 June 1916, Lula LaPlant, age 27, born 10 Feb 1888, residing in Florence, CO. Colfax county Marriage Book 9, page 1549. Married by H. Richard Mills, Minister of the Gospel, Methodist-Episcopal church. Witnesses: Fannie Atkins Mills, Edith Martinez.

August 27, 1918- Jack & Lula adopted daughter Mary Jane when she was 4 years old. Her name had been Minnie Ireland and she was the daughter of Richard & Pearl Ireland - her father Richard Ireland gave his consent and testified for the adoption. I wrote Raton, NM for more information and was told that adoptions are closed to the public. They said to write: Judge Stanley A. Read, PO Box 160, Raton, NM 87740.

September 12, 1918 WWI Draft card Colfax Co., New Mexico
John Elmer Dyer
Tall height, medium build, blue eyes, brown hair
Address - 324 Rio Grande, Raton, Colfax, New Mexico
Age 42, Birthdate - July 12, 1876
White, native born
Occupation - Bartender
Employer - Jack Pavlich, 228 So. 1, Raton, Colfax, NM
Nearest relative - Lulu Dyer, 324 Rio Grande, Raton, Colfax, New Mexico
Signed John Elmer Dyer

1920 - ??

Arizona Daily Star, Aug. 27, 1927 - DYER FUNERAL SERVICE TO BE THIS AFTERNOON Public Rites for Son of Chief of Police to be at Grave Only -
Private funeral services will be held at the Reilly chapel this afternoon at 3 o'clock for Jack Edwin Dyer, Jr., son of Chief of Police J.E. Dyer. Afterwards, the principal service, which friends of the family have been asked to attend, will be held at the grave in Evergreen cemetery.
The boy, who was 7 years old, died after a short illness, a victim of spinal meningitis. He was ill early last Saturday and was then taken to St. Mary's hospital, where in spite of every medical aid, he died at 8:00 Monday evening.
Because of the nature of the disease which caused the death of the child, the private funeral services in the chapel were announced yesterday. The service at the graveside, however, will be for the benefit of the friends who have been asked to attend.

Arizona Daily Star Aug. 29, 1927 - VETERAN'S WEEP AT FUNERAL OF JACK DYER, JR. Police are Active and Honorary Pall Bearers For Son of Chief -
John Edwin Dyer, Jr. 7-year-old son of Chief of Police and Mrs. J. E. Dyer, was laid to rest yesterday afternoon in the Elks plot in Evergreen cemetery, while hardened and old members of the police force, friends and relatives wept quietly as the Rev. Julian C. Mc Pheeters, pastor of the University Methodist church, read the benediction and said a closing prayer.
Rev. McPheeters in his talk consoled those whom "Little Jack" had left with the thought that "God plucks the little children from earth for heaven, just as we on earth go into the garden and pluck the bud of the rose."
Services at Reilly chapel were private and brief. Mrs. John ??? sang "God will Wipe All Tears Away", and Mr. McPheeters gave a prayer. The funeral cortege was made up of 20 cars while at the grave where the public services were held as many more were waiting. All cilty offices were unofficially closed during the time of the funeral, while the police force, with the exception of those required to remain on duty, was represented 100 percent. The cortege was led by Motorcycle Officers Belton and Smith. Police Captain Mark Robbins, Detectives A.S. Franco, Cliff Kronauer and Dallas Ford were active pall bearers. Honorary pall bearers were Officers Louis Ezekials, P.B. Wilbanks, Jesus Comacho and Sargeant A.W. Forbes.
Jack Dyer, Jr. died Monday at 8 pm at a local hospital where he had been taken late Saturday night. He was first taken ill Friday afternoon after he stood on the lawn in front of his home at 1622 East Broadway for several hours waiting for Col. Charles A. Lindbergh to pass. Shortly after he complained of feeling ill and Saturday morning his condition became alarming. Every medical aid possible was summoned, but he sank rapidly and Monday evening he died from spinal meningitis.
He was a pupil of the second grade at Miles school and was considered a very bright student and popular among his playmates. At the police station, where he went often with his father, he was the pet of every man on the force. Besides his parents, he leaves his little brother Bobby, age two, and a host of relatives and friends.

1930 census Tucson, Pima Co., AZ
1622 E. Broadway Household #10
John E. Dyer, head, age 53, age at first marriage - 39, Missouri/Canada English/Illinois, Cheif of Police, City
Lula, wife, age 40, Nebraska/Canada French/Canada French
Robert E., son, age 4, Arizona/Missouri/Nebraska

The Arizona Daily Star, Wed. Jan. 21, 1953
Many Tucson Lawmen Began Careers Under His Watchful Eye
John E. (Jack) Dyer, 76, Tucson's last elected Chief of Police, died yesterday afternoon in a local hospital following an extended illness. He lived at 321 West La Pax Street. He is survived by his wife, Lulu of Tucson, and a son Robert, of Denver Colo., an architect.
Mr. Dyer began his career as lawman in 1924 when he defeated Dallas Ford for the office of Tucson city marshal. Until civil service provisions altered the manner of selecting a police chief, he was appointed by the city council after being elected city marshal. Mr. Dyer was last appointed chief in 1928 after being unopposed in the city election of that year. Many of the present law enforcement officers, including Sheriff Frank Eyman, started on the police force under Chief Dyer. Eyman called him "The kindest man I ever knew." In the early days of the Tucson police department, officers were appointed on a month-to-month basis. Mr. Dyer is remembered by most of his men as being more like a father than a superior officer.
Others among the men who started in law enforcement under him are Al Franco, Chet Sherman, James Herron, Milo Walker, Harry Foley, and Tom Burke. According to these officers, Chief Dyer, a railroad shopman before becoming city marshal, knew little about modern law enforcement technique, but was admired and respected by all who knew him. A compassionate man, he was always known to be good for a handout. Franco said bums, part-time loafers and town characters constantly approached the chief with an open hand and were seldom refused. Mr. Dyer was chief until the election of Mayor Henry O. Jaastad in 1932. When he left, the force consisted of 19 men and three motorcycles.
After leaving the police department, he served for five years as deputy for Sheriff Ed Echols. He had been ill for more than a year before he died. Funeral arrangements will be announced by the Reilly funeral home.


My mother, Lula (LaPlant) Dyer recounted stories that became an informal history of the LaPlant Family. I clearly remember the salient features of those stories. Other comments and "infill" are mine from visits with Lula's sisters Anna, Emma, and Nellie, and with Eddie who lived in Tucson.

These are the recollections of my memories of the LaPlant family and of my mother's stories about them.

John LaPlant probably met Mary in French Canada. I do not know Mary's maiden name and I do not know much about her. She taught my mother, Lula (and I assume each of the daughters) embroidery and how to crochet along with other homemaking arts and crafts.

Seven girls and four boys were born to John and Mary LaPlant. As best I can recall, one child died in infancy and twin boys died at age 12 or 14, one in an accident at John LaPlant's stone quarry and brick yard in Florence, Colorado, and the other from a major illness. The others were raised to adulthood. Napoleon died at age 31. Seven children are pictured with John and Mary in the only family photo I have which was probably taken after Napoleon's death.

John's business in Florence was apparently substantial. His brick yard and stone quarry can be seen today at the edge of town and many of the buildings he built of fine brick and stone are still in use, many now more than one hundred years old. His bricks were made in wood fired kilns that were stoked continuously for 24 to 48 hours. When finished and cooled, the bricks would "ping" when struck with a hammer, a mark of quality. His brick and stone foundations were allowed to "settle" under straw and canvas for 30 days before starting the walls. He was also, of course, an accomplished brick mason and stone mason.

Apparently, John married again after Mary's death to the consternation of the LaPlant daughters. I believe he visited Eddie in Tucson before he (John) died in 1923. During the Tucson visit, John may have visited with my mother, possibly to see his newest grandson, my brother, John Edwin Dyer, Born in 1919.

John taught his sons Eddie and Napoleon the art of brick making along with stone and brick masonry. Eddie started his own brickyard (factory) in Tucson about 1915, or soon after Mary LaPlant died. He made fine bricks and was a highly respected building contractor, brick mason, and stone mason. The brickyard was just west of downtown Tucson, on Congress Street about a quarter of a mile west of the Santa Cruz River. It was the only brickyard in Tucson for at least 50 years. In 2001, on the brickyard site, archeologists found evidence of canals and artifacts made by Indians 2,500 years ago.

About 1920, Eddie designed and built a fine home in Tucson of authentic Mexican adobe with custom milled doors, cabinets and interior woodwork of hardwood selected from Mexican forests. It is still occupied (as of April 2002). I believe it is on Tucson's local register of historic buildings.

As the result of some rift in family relations, I did not meet Eddie until 1937 (when I was 12 years old). He was pleasant and kind and gave me a T-square, triangles, and a scale when I was 15. After that, I saw him infrequently. In 1962 or 1963, during one of our visits to Tucson he was delighted with my sons Bret and Cameron. I saw Eddie for the last time just after Lula's funeral in September 1965. Although 85 years old, he was still building custom fireplaces (with laborers) in vacation homes in the Catalina Mountains just north of Tucson. He died at age 88. His wife Jeane soon moved to Prescott, Arizona, where I understand she died at age 98.

Anna visited our home in Tucson in the early 1930's. She was the happy one, and apparently well known for the laughter she generated in the family and socially. As a child, I enjoyed her playfulness during her stay. She and her husband George Milliken, were most hospitable while I was stationed at Pueblo Army Air Base in 1944 and invited me to their home 2 or 3 times.

Emma LaPlant married a man named McQuery and gave birth to a son, Donald. Emma also visited our home in Tucson in the mid-thirties and affectionately taught me finger painting. She was a fine artist and great talent, but was not formally trained. She painted china and in oil on canvas. Donald was living in Tucson at that time. A daughter Donna, and a son, Robert Lee, resulted from his first marriage. Donald married a second time and worked as a dental technician. He was still living in Tucson in 1965.

In 1931, my mother and I briefly visited Nellie, her husband Earl Spence, and their daughter in Santa Anna, California. Nellie and Earl drove us to see the Graf Zeppelin that had landed after crossing the Pacific Ocean on a globe circling flight. It was an exciting experience that I have never forgotten. Nellie and family later moved to Arcata, California and Nellie was still living there in 1967.

Lula seemed to be the prettiest of the young LaPlant girls. At about 18, she became a telephone operator at a terminal in Florence, Colorado that apparently handled telephone calls for several of the small towns in the vicinity. She rode horses sidesaddle and shot prairie dogs with a 22-caliber rifle from a buggy. She rode in an ore bucket at a nearby mine, which was apparently considered a thrill-ride at that time in the absence of carnival rides. She loved to dance.

Lula divorced Milton Mackie after a marriage of one year (1908-1909). In 1916, she married my father John Elmer Dyer in Raton, New Mexico. They adopted a 4-year-old girl (Mary Jane) in Raton in 1918 and moved that year to Tucson. Their first son, John Edwin, was born in Tucson in December 1919. I was born in 1925. Lula was then 39 years old and my father almost 50. Sometime in 1926 or early 1927 Mary Jane died. In September 1927, John Edwin died of spinal meningitis. The loss of two children within a year resulted in almost unbearable grief for Lula and John.

Lula was a wonderful homemaker with a strong sense of design and colors. I can clearly remember the home in Tucson in which I was raised.

In August 1952, while living in Denver, I visited Florence, Colorado and called on Exhilda, or "Nix", the name of this sister commonly used by my mother. This is not a strong memory, but I recall that Exhilda, then about 75, was cordial but not talkative. I believe the house in which she lived had been the LaPlant family home, a sturdy brick home as would have been built by John LaPlant.

I cannot recall anything about Minnie LaPlant.

Robert E. Dyer
July 23, 2002