Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Notes for Jesse Moore

The Family of John Moore & Rebecca Reeves

1800 - Orange Co., NY

1804 - moved to Bradford Co.,. PA

1808 - Jesse on tax roll for Tioga, Luzerne Co., PA (became Smithfield, Lycoming Co., PA, then Wells, Bradford Co., PA and then South Creek Twp, Bradford Co., PA

1810 census Elmira, Tioga Co., PA

1813 - on first tax assessment list for Wells, Bradford Co., PA

1830 census Wells, Bradford Co., PA

1840 census South Creek, Bradford Co., PA

http://www.rootsweb.com/~srgp/booksb/southist.htm
EARLY HISTORY

The first settler made South Creek his home before 1804, but the date of his coming to the township is not known, and to fix any would be mere conjecture. Among the very earliest settlers were Jesse Moore, Hosea Baker, Gideon Andrus, Ezekiel Baker, Isaac Baker, John Morrison, Samuel Pettingill, Solomon Bovier, John Pitt, Joseph Chase, Benjamin Seeley, ---- Potter, Aaron Stiles, and James Van Kuren.

Others that came between 1830 and 1840, were Philo Fassett, Benjamin Inman, Linus Williams, Asa Gillett, William Thompson, John Dean, William Burk, John C. Patterson, Daniel Hildreth, John Dickerson, Andrew Niffin, Hiram Harkness, Luke N. Pitt, Clement Leonard, ---- McElroy, Jacob Quick, Alanson Owens, William Goldsmith, William Houts, ---- Walling, Benjamin Chase, ---- Benson, ---- Blodget, Eben Dunning, Alexander Johnson, and James Dewey. Those coming at a more recent date will be given farther along.

Jesse Moore located on the place where William Dean now resides, about one-half a mile south of Gilletts, on the farm now owned by Arnot and Webber, of Elmira, in 1804. He came from Orange County, N.Y., and cut his own “sled road” in from Southport. Locating, as above referred to, he at once began “tussling with the huge pines in the valley,” and prepared for life in the new country. Soon after coming to the township, he picked out a mill-site on the west branch of South Creek, built a dam, and erected a log grist mill with a run of one stone. This was only a few rods from where the residence of Mr. G.F. Vernier now is, and was the first mill in the township.

Mr. Moore died in 1844 upon the place he had settled and improved; Mrs. Moore died in 1855. Jesse Moore succeeded his father upon the place, and died there in 1872; his brother, Elisha Moore, lived on the Fassett place; his daughter, Hannah, married Elder Isaac Lake, and is now living near LeRoy. Asa Moore married Mercy Bentley, whose father was a resident contemporary with the Moores.

James Ingalls and Thomas Osgood came to the township in 1808, and lived near the State Line. Ingals remained for about a year and Osgood for three years. These families will again be mentioned in connections with Wells.

Within a few years after Mr. Moore came Hosea Baker came and settled at Gilletts. He erected the plank house in which J.F. Gillett now resides, and opened it as a public house, which he kept for a number of years. This property he sold to other parties, and a couple of years thereafter (1833,) it was purchased by Asa Gillett, who continued in the same business. Baker was quite a noted hunter, and took quite an active part in the pioneer development of this part of the country. “Hosea Ridge,” back of Gilletts, is so-called after him. Baker went to Michigan about fifty years ago where he died. He has a son, Ezekiel Baker, who was among the early settlers. He had his dwelling on the ground where Pitt’s store now is, at Gilletts, and kept hotel for a number of years. Isaac Baker located farther down the creek than did the other Bakers, who claim no relationship. He had a grist mill on South Creek.

Philo Fassett came to South Creek in 1830. He emigrated from Vermont, and settled in Troy in the beginning of the present century. He located upon the farm which he subsequently sold to Judge Wilber where he subsequently died. Fassett purchased a possession of a Mrs. Andrus, and settled thereon. About twenty acres had been cleared. This is about half a mile south of where Fassett station now is on the farm owned by T. Flood, of Elmira. In 1832 Mr. Fassett added a bar-room to his house and opened it as a hotel, and continued in that business for over thirty years. Says his son, Philo “…he made money by raising rye and exchanging it for whiskey, which was then sold for three cents a glass, and it was not considered a dishonorable business, as liquor was used on almost every occasion, whether religious, social or otherwise.” Mr. Fassett had a large farm, and made many improvements. His son, N.P. Fassett, says: --- “We had no trouble about the Connecticut title --- that had been disposed of before we came. The lands belonged to the Bingham estate. The Govett’s lands reached to the ridges, dividing Bentley from South Creek. The settlers first went and made possession, and then sold from one to another their possessing rights or title. There was an 1100-acre tract, in which some of the settlers had been located for thirty years or more, and were making arrangements to purchase the Bingham title; but a Dr. Seeley ‘stole a march’ on them, bought the Bingham title, and demanded of the settlers what they deemed an exorbitant price, which they refused to pay, Seeley served writs or ejectment upon them, where-upon the settlers combined to resist his title. Suit was commenced against my father (Philo Fassett,) and the case was tried in the Bradford County Court. Elisha Moore, who was a former owner of the possession, was a witness in the case. The settlers beat Seeley on the ground of possession. This Mr. Moore was a brother of Jesse. Another brother, Asa, lived just north of us, over the State Line.
Philo Fassett died in the township in 1868, at the age of eighty-one years, and is buried at Elmira. His son, Samuel, succeeded him on the farm, and held it until within a few years. Philo Fassett had a family of ten children, seven sons and three daughters. The daughters are all dead. The sons are all living, and are – Newton, attorney at Elmira; I.W., an extensive businessman at Wellsville, N.Y.; Colonel Louis Fassett, in the oil business at Franklin, Pa.; Truman Fassett at Canton, Pa.; Philo and J.Q.A. Fassett live in the township

http://www.rootsweb.com/~srgp/cemb/moorecem.htm
Moore Cemetery
South Creek Township, Bradford County, Pennsylvania
MOORE Jesse Moore d. Sept 12, 1844 aged 71 Years 3 months & 12 days
Lydia wife of Jesse Moore d. July 31, 1855 Ag’d 79 y’rs 11 mo & 11 d’s.

Jesse Moore d. March 6, 1872 aged 66 y’rs 7 mo’s & 1 d.
Abigail M., wife of Jesse Moore d. Jan 16, 1886 Aged 66 Yrs 9 Mo & 25 Ds.
Sarah Ann daughter of Jesse & Abigail Moore d. Sept 3, 1839, Aged 10 months & 9 days.
Albert Jesse son of Jesse & Abigail Moore d. Aug 7, 1858 aged 8 y’ars & 3 d’s.

W. H. Moore d. Aug 28, 1879 Aged 39 Y’s 4 M’s & 21 D’s

Lydia, wife of David R. Moore and dau of David R. & Lucinda Haswell d. July 14, 1861
Lucinda Ellen dau of David R. & Lydia Moore d. Sept 13, 1857 AE 7Y.