Ellis Island Ship List - W
Follow the links to see a list of the ships that the Ellis Island Knapp's arrived on. Follow the links find information about these ships.
Built by John Elder & Company, Glasgow, Scotland, 1882. 5,109 gross tons; 455 (bp) feet long; 46 feet wide. Compound engine, single screw. Service speed 17 knots. 1,255 passengers (125 first class, 130 second class, 1,000 third class). Two funnels, four masts, iron hull.
Built for North German Lloyd, German flag, in 1882 and named Werra. Bremerhaven-New York and later Mediterranean-New York service. Used as a Spanish troopship 1898. Scrapped in Italy in 1903.
Built by Caird & Company, Greenock, Scotland, 1875. 5,491 gross tons; 513 (bp) feet long; 44 feet wide. Compound engine, single screw. Service speed 16 knots. 1,770 passengers (170 first class, 100 second class, 1,500 third class). One funnel and three masts rigged for sail.
Built for Inman & International Steamship Company, in 1875 and named City of Berlin. Liverpool-New York service. Rebuilt in 1879 for triple-expansion engines and electric lights. Sold to American Line, in 1893 and renamed Berlin. Southampton to New York service. Chartered by Red Star LIne for Antwerp to New York 1895 to 1898. Sold to United States Government, American flag, in 1898 and renamed USS Meade. Damaged by fire at San Francisco Jan 1906. Scrapped in 1921.
No information available.
Built by Laird Brothers, Birkenhead, England, 1884. 5,736 gross tons; 440 (bp) feet long; 47 feet wide. Compound engine, single screw. Service speed 14.5 knots. 1,340 passengers (80 first class, 60 second class, 1,200 third class).
Built for Red Star Line, British flag, in 1884 and named Westernland. Antwerp-New York service. Chartered by Red Star Line, British flag, in 1901. Scrapped in 1912.
Built by Hawthorn, Leslie & Company, Newcastle, England, 1902. 13,507 gross tons; 601 (bp) feet long; 60 feet wide. Steam triple expansion engines, twin screw. Service speed 16 knots. 1,510 passengers (260 first class, 250 second class, 1,000 third class).
Built for Leyland Line, British flag, in 1902 and renamed Hanoverian. Liverpool-Boston service. Sold to Dominion Line, also British, in 1903 and renamed MAYFLOWER. Sold to White Star and Dominion Lines, in 1903 and renamed Cretic. Liverpool-New York and Mediterranean-New York service. Sold to Hamburg-American Line, German flag, in 1923 and intended to be the Westphalia. Hamburg-New York service. Later also used by Red Star Line. Scrapped in Scotland in 1929.
Built by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Sparrows Point, Maryland, 1921. 13,712 gross tons; 517 (bp) feet long; 72 feet wide. Steam turbine engines, twin screw. Service speed 17 knots. Two masts and one funnel.
Built for U.S. Shipping Board, in 1921 and named Nutmeg State. Renamed Western World in 1922. New York-Buenos Aires service. Managed then purchased by Munson Line, Taken over by US Govt. Transferred to U.S. authorities, in 1939 and renamed Leonard Wood. Military Transport service. Taken over by Army then US Navy. Scrapped at Vancouver in 1948.
W. H. Tilford
Built by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Wilmington, Delaware, 1917. 5,580 gross tons; 411 (bp) feet long; 53 feet wide. Steam turbine engine, single screw. Service speed 10 knots. Tanker, yard hull 442, US registration 215856.
Built for Standard Oil of New Jersey, American flag, in 1917 and named W. H. Tilford. Bordeaux, London, Antwerp, Mexico, Hamburg to New York service. Broken up Baltimore by Boston Iron and Metals Co. in 1936.
Built by Blohm & Voss Shipbuilders, Hamburg, Germany, 1894. 4,755 gross tons; 383 (bp) feet long; 46 feet wide. Steam triple expansion engines, twin screw. Service speed 13 knots. 1,540 passengers (174 first class, 1,366 third class).
Built for North German Lloyd, German flag, in 1894 and named Wittekind. Bremerhaven-New York service. Interned at Boston 1914-17. Seized by US Government, in 1917 and renamed USS Iroquois. Refitted as transport USS Iroquois service. Transferred to Freedom, in 1919 and renamed Freedom. Scrapped in 1924.