Joseph Ford DUNCAN 165
- Born: Jan 1810, Dundee, Angus-Shire, Scotland 165
- Christened: 24 Jan 1810, Dundee, Angus-Shire, Scotland
- Marriage: Rachel DUNBAR on 1 Aug 1835 in Parish Of Riscobie, Glamis, Angus-Shire, Scotland 165
- Died: 20 Sep 1885, Riwaka, Nelson, New Zealand at age 75 165
- Buried: 22 Sep 1885, Riwaka Cemetery, Riwaka, Nelson, New Zealand 165
June 1841 Census: Small's Wynd, Dundee, Angus
Joseph Duncan male 25 Mason b. Angus, Scotland
Rachel Duncan female 25 b. Angus, Scotland
John Duncan male 5 b. Angus, Scotland
James Duncan male 3 b. Angus, Scotland
Helen Duncan female 1 b. Angus, Scotland
Joseph Ford Duncan immigrated to Nelson, New Zealand in 1842 on the ship"Fifeshire".
He became a farmer, and bought land in the Brooklyn area near Riwaka.
Details on Emigration Register and Shipping Records:
"Fifeshire" ... Application # 3363. Nelson Register # 1577.
Cabin 29 and 32.
Joseph Duncan age 28 Mason [occupation]
Rachell Duncan age 28.
Children: John aged 7 yrs
James aged 4 yrs
Ellen aged 10 months
Ellen may have been known as Helen. [NB. on emigration Register female child shown incorrectly as aged 10]
The Electoral Roll of Motueka District for 1879-80 is interesting in that it lists Joseph Ford Duncan's sons as Joseph Dunbar Duncan & John Dunbar Duncan, yet fails to list Joseph Ford himself. His wife was a descendant of a Scottish Earl (of Finlay) and she used this double surname to carry her titled name through her married life.
Noted events in his life were:
• Emigration, 26 Sep 1841. 165 From Deal On 'Fifeshire'
• Immigration, 1 Feb 1842, Ex 'Fifeshire' At Nelson, New Zealand. 165
Joseph married Rachel DUNBAR, daughter of John DUNBAR and Margaret CLARK, on 1 Aug 1835 in Parish Of Riscobie, Glamis, Angus-Shire, Scotland.165 (Rachel DUNBAR was born in 1811 in Kirriemuir, Forfarshire, Scotland 165, christened on 20 Sep 1811 in Kirriemuir, Forfarshire, Scotland, died on 9 Feb 1907 in Motueka, Nelson, New Zealand 165 and was buried on 11 Feb 1907 in Riwaka Cemetery, Riwaka, Nelson, New Zealand 165.)