George Heneto HOPKINSON
- Born: 8 Jun 1903, Temuka, South Canterbury, New Zealand
- Marriage: Annie Eliza Dorothy MILLAR in Nelson, Nelson, New Zealand
- Died: 26 May 1997, Timaru, South Canterbury, New Zealand at age 93
- Buried: Temuka, South Canterbury, New Zealand
Early schooling at Arowhenua Maori School and working life at Hopkinson's thrashing mill. Then went to Nelson as a P&T linesman, met & married Dorothy. Returned to Temuka as a wool classer at Rooney's wool scour. In the 1930's he joined the PWD & in 1940 he enlisted in the NZ Army. December 1941 captured at Sidirezegh, was a POW in Italy, escaped & joined Partisans in Yugoslavia, recaptured & was in Stalag XV111 in Germany. On return worked as wool classer until his retirement.
Noted events in his life were:
• Cemetery: Temuka Cemetery - RSA Block. Plot 69 - Burial Reference # 35899.
George married Annie Eliza Dorothy MILLAR in Nelson, Nelson, New Zealand. (Annie Eliza Dorothy MILLAR was born on 17 Aug 1902 in Nelson, Nelson, New Zealand and died on 26 Dec 1966 in Timaru, South Canterbury, New Zealand.)