David DUNCAN 152
- Died: 6 Nov 1918, Caudry, , Nord-Pas-DE-Calais, France 152
[Nelson Moorhouse ftw.FTW]
In Memory of
N.Z. Machine Gun Corps
who died on
Wednesday 6th November 1918.
Additional Information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. G. Duncan, of Bull's,Wellington, New Zealand.
Cemetery: CAUDRY BRITISH CEMETERY, Nord, France
Grave Reference/Panel Number: IV. D. 14.
Location: Caudry is a town 10 kilometres east of Cambrai on the southside of the main road to Le Cateau. From the Cambrai-Le Cateau road (theN 43) take the dual carriageway into Caudry town. Follow this road for1100 metres to a traffic light controlled junction. Turn left and followthis road for approximately 225 metres to a small road on the right (thefirst CWGC sign is at this junction). The cemetery lies on the left sideof the road after travelling 100 metres.
Historical Information: Caudry town was the scene of part of the Battleof Le Cateau on the 26th August 1914, and from that date it remained inGerman hands until the 10th October 1918, when it was captured by the37th Division. It had been a German centre for medical units, and duringOctober 1918 and the following five months the 21st, 3rd, 19th and 49thCasualty Clearing Stations passed through it. The British Cemetery(originally called the German Cemetery Extension) was begun in October1918 by the New Zealand Division and carried on by the Casualty ClearingStations. It was completed after the Armistice by the concentration ofgraves from the German Cemetery and from Audencourt British Cemetery. Atthe same time the bodies of two French soldiers and one Italian wereremoved to other burial grounds. There are now over 700, 1914-18 warcasualties commemorated in this site. Of these, over 50 are unidentifiedand special memorials are erected to four soldiers and one airman fromthe United Kingdom known to be buried among them. Another specialmemorial records the name of a soldier from the United Kingdom, buried inFontaine-au-Pire Communal Cemetery, whose grave could not be found. Thecemetery covers an area of 2,770 square metres and is enclosed partly bya rubble wall.