- Born: Apr 1787, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, England
- Christened: 17 Apr 1787, Greasley Parish Church, Greasley, Nottinghamshire, England
- Marriage: Sarah Stapleton MOWLEY on 6 Apr 1808 in Heanor, Derbyshire, England
- Died: 5 May 1858, Moutere, .Nelson, New Zealand at age 71 226
- Buried: 22 Jun 1858, Chapman Property, Peach Island, Shaggery Rd, Pangatotara, Nelson, New Zealand
Ship: 471 Tons
Captain: William Dale
Surgeon Superintendent: John Danforth Greenwood
Sailed London November 16th 1842 - arrived Nelson March 29th 1843
Grooby Francis 49 Gardener Sarah 49 Harriett 27 Servant George 15 Gardener Selina 12 Henry 10 Thomas 9 Susannah 4
Birth year could be 1789
Occupation:Ships cook/ Farmer
Extract from Early Nelson Paper
Death. On 22 June 1858. Inquest was reported into death of FrancisGROOBY ,found drowned in Moutere River , age 70 yrs. Henry INWOOD was son-in-law.
Noted events in his life were:
• Baptism, 17 Apr 1787, Greasley, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, England.
• Emigration, 29 Mar 1843.
• Occupation, 1845. Labourer
Francis married Sarah Stapleton MOWLEY, daughter of John MOWLEY and Sarah Mary WILLCOCKS, on 6 Apr 1808 in Heanor, Derbyshire, England. (Sarah Stapleton MOWLEY was born in 1788 in Greasley, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, England and died on 7 Oct 1876 in Pangatotara, Motueka, Nelson, New Zealand.)
Marriage could have been 1806
At the time of the 1841 Census they were living at Blue Bell Hill,Sneinton Field close to the centre of Nottingham City.
After they arrived in Nelson, they lived in Brook Street until they movedto Motueka in 1850 and established a settlement on land owned by MrJenkins. They later bought land at Pangatotara.
The 1845 Census saw them living in Brook Street with 2 daughters.