(Information furnished by Maxine Davis Baker of Okla. City, OK.)
James Russell was born 1710 in England. His Will was proven Oct. 26, 1805 in Fairfield Co., SC. He married Mary Commander in 1735, the daughter of Thomas Commander and Sarah Griffin. James was Captain of the ship, Edenburg, served 1775 in the South Carolina Rangers. Their children were:
1. Peter Russell was baptized April 1, 1752
2. Thomas Commander Russell was baptized June 2, 1754. He married Mary Starns.
3. John Russell was baptized June 19, 1755. He married Clare Ann Stansell in 1784.
4. James Russell died 1814.
5. William Commander Russell
6. Benjamin Russell
John and Thomas Russell were both captured at Charleston, SC May 12, 1780. Both moved to Lincoln County, GA by May 1796. Thomas was a surveyor.
George Washington Russell was born in GA Feb. 8, 1805 and married Malinda M. Blalock on March 31, 1825 in Lincoln Co., GA. They were in Lincoln Co. in 1830 and in Pickens County, AL in 1834. George Washington Russell died Aug. 14, 1866 in Pickens Co., AL and Malinda died May 8, 1880.
Their children were:
1. John A. Russell was born 1825 in GA. Died April 20, 1900.
2. Lafayette Russell was born 1829 in GA. Died May 4, 1895.
3. Asberry (Berry) Russell was born 1831 in GA and died Sept. 1, 1898.
4. Charles Wesley Russell was born 1834 in AL and died June 21, 1862 of measles in Army Camp.
5. Thomas Jefferson Russell was born 1836 in AL and died April 15, 1905. Lived in MS.
6. Mary E. Russell was born 1840 in AL and died June 30, 1880. Married Dock Eades and had five children.
7. William Russell was born 1846 in AL.
8. Martha A. Russell was born 1849 in AL and died Jan. 29, 1913. Married A. S. Propst and lived in MS.
9. Margaret E. Russell was born 1832 in AL and died Oct. 24, 1835.
10. Lawrence M. Russell was born 1827 in AL and died March 5, 1842.
Back to Index Page
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids