Pleasant Ridge Baptist Church
|Back to Index Page||
Bobbye C. Winston
|Pleasant Ridge Baptist Church was active when
Pleasant Ridge was first settled. It was out of existence by
1870. William Walter Maughan moved his letter to Unity Baptist
Church in Pickens Co. AL on Nov. 9, 1870 and the Unity minutes shows
Pleasant Ridge Baptist Church as closed at that time.
The deed for the Pleasant Ridge Presbyterian Church describes that church's location as on the Mouth of Sipsey Road and next to the Baptist church. The 1856 Snedicor Map of Pleasant Ridge shows the Baptist Church approximately where the cemetery is now. The 1920 USDA Soil Survey map of Greene County shows TWO churches at the location of the present ... Mr. Richard Owens remembers that in the late 1920s a church building, smaller than the present Presbyterian church, had been moved into the pasture south of the cemetery and was used for hay and equipment storage. Of course, Snedicor's 1856 directory describes the "Pleasant Ridge Missionary Baptist Church" and gives the number of members.
The above photo shows where the Pleasant Ridge Missionary Baptist
church would have stood.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids