The Owens family is an African-American family and
one of the early settlers in the old Bethany Community near Aliceville,
AL. They came to Pickens Co. AL from South Carolina, probably all came
from Kershaw Co. SC. They are a large family with many descendants.
Owens, Jim b. May 1871 d. Jan. 1923
Owens, Vira Peoples b. March 15, 1880 d. Oct. 4, 1937
They lived in the Bethany Community and are
buried at Bethesda Cemetery in Benevola Community, Pickens County, AL.
Jim Owens and Vira Peebles Owens
had the following children:
1. Lizzie Owens married John D. Barnes
2. Betty Mae Owens, b. Dec. 6, 1908 D. Sept. 4, 1967. Married Louie Layton
3. Addie Owens B. April 4, 1916. Died March 1980. Married Kirksey Gaskin.
4. Dosha Owens B. March 4, 1921 D. Aug. 2, 1989. Married Dudley Gaskin
5. Lucille Owens married Willie James Hinton, Sr.
6. Dock Owens Married (1) Sue Clements. No children.
(2) Ernestine Thomas.
7. Ernest Owens. Married Berta Mae Noland
8.Ella Owens B. March 12, 1899. Died Oct. 24, 1943. Married Frank Duff.
9. Cliff Owens married Hester Dobbins. No children.
William (Will) Owens Married Nettie Mae Hurst.
Walter Owens. No information available.
Liza Owens. Married Monroe Duff
Fannie Owens. Married Ruben Davis
The child of Lizzie Owens and Mr.
1. Annie Mae Barnes. Deceased. Lived in
The children of Betty Mae Owens
Layton and Louie Layton are:
1. Rose Mae Layton b. Jan. 3, 1926 and died Oct. 12, 2006.
Married James (Son) Clark.
Rosa Mae Layton Clark
2. Wesley Layton b. Jan. 10, 1927 d. April 23, 2005. Buried in
3. Willie B. Layton, b. Aug. 17, 1928 and died May 9, 1995.
Buried in Beechwood, Ohio.
4. Eddie B. Layton, b. July 16, 1930. d. Nov. 11, 2001.
Buried in Tuscaloosa, Al. Married Chadie Moore, daughter of John
Wesley and Asoline Moore. Their children:
1. Mary Elizabeth Layton Tubbs
2. Bessie Marie Layton Walker
3. Eddie Dean Layton
4. John Earl Layton
5. Asoline Deloris Layton Richey
6. Joe lee Layton
7. Betty Ann Layton
5. Annie Maude Layton, born June 27, 1932. Married Floyd Brown. Children of
Annie Maude Layton and Floyd Brown are:
1. Floyd Brown, Jr.
2. Michael Brown
3. Diane Brown
Annie Maude had two children when she and Floyd Brown married and
Floyd Brown raised the children as his own. They were:
1. Linda A. Brown Tilmon
2. Dale Brown
6. Mattie Florence Layton, born June 27, 1932. Married (1) Charles Odell
Thompson and (2) Franklin Miller.
Children of Mattie Florence Layton and Charles Odell Thompson
1. Robert L. Thompson
2. Shirley Thompson Easley
Children of Mattie Florence Layton and Franklin Miller are:
1. Lisa M. Miller, born Dec. 19, 1967
2. Mary Ellen Miller, born Dec. 19, 1967. Died Dec.
7. James K. Layton. Lives in Irondale, AL.
The children of Dosha Owens Gaskin
and Dudley Gaskin are:
1. Tracy Lee Gaskin B. Aug. 5, 1940. Lives in
2. Luther James Gaskin B. Feb. 27, 1943 Died
April 26, 1999. Died with heart failure.
3. Billie Gaskin B. April 15, 1944.
4. Mary Ruth Gaskin. Born July 26, 1945. Married
Daniel Sanders b. Aug. 2, 1944, d. Nov. 24, 1991.
5. Mattie Pearl Gaskin. Born Jan. 24, 1947. Lives
in Detroit, MI.
6. Emma Jane Gaskin. Born Dec. 25, 1948. Lives in
7. Raymond Dudley Gaskin. Born Feb. 22, 1951. Lives in
8. Jimmy Lee Gaskin. Born March 2, 1953. Lives in
9. Dora Mae Gaskin. Born Aug. 15, 1957. Lives in
10. Annette Gaskin. Born Feb. 25, 1960. Married
Don Brown. Lives in Detoit, Mi.
11. Troy Lee Gaskin. Born July 25, 1961.
Wife named Julene.
Children of Lucille Owens and Willie James Hinton,
1. Willie James Hinton, Jr.
2. Jack Bennie Hinton
3. Lonnie Will Hinton, Sr.
4. Owens Hinton
5. Frank Hinton
6. Bessie Hinton
7. Albert T. Hinton
8. Johnnie J. Hinton
9. Samuel Hinton
10. David L. Hinton
11. Hugh C. Hinton
12. Walter Lee Hinton
13. Sarah Hinton
14. Thomas C. Hinton
Child of Dock Owens and Ernestine
1. Christine Owens.
The children of Ella Owens Duff
and Frank Duff are:
1. Reid Duff B. July 16, 1918. D. April 1983.
2. Lola Duff b. Feb. 22, 1917 and died April 29, 1984.
Married Joseph (Joe) Jones. Mr. Jones later changed his name to
Joseph (Joe) Camons, his mother's maiden name, because at his job
there was another Joe Jones and it was confusing.
3. Nancy Ruth (Nude) Duff b. July 1, 1921 or 1922 and
died June 22, 1954. Married Walter Lee Bonner.
(After Ella Owens Duff died, Frank Duff married Annie Lee
Cousette. They had one daughter: Frankie Lee Duff.)
The children of William
(Will) and Nettie Owens are:
1. Bettie Lee Owens
2. Clarence Owens
Children of Liza Owens and Monroe Duff
1. Cora Duff
2. Nora Duff
Child of Fannie Owens and Ruben Davis
1. Clara Mae Davis
Child of Nancy Ruth (Nude) Duff Bonner and Walter Lee
1. Frances Marie Bonner Brown b. May 18, 1943 d. Oct. 11, 2007.
Buried at Mt. Moriah.
2. Female child born ca 1944-45. Died young.
Children of Lola Duff Camons are:
1. Trudy Jane (Cookie) Jones, born Dec. 14, 1936.
2. Eura Jones. b. ca 1938-39. Died at 4 - 5 months
3. Franklin Delano (Dick) Jones b. April 23, 1948 d.
? Buried in VA Cemetery in New Jersey.
Child of Reid and Nettie Duff is:
1. Louella Duff. Married a Mr. ____ Buell.