|John Fletcher Maughan||Cynthia Melvina Peach Maughan|
4. Asbury Capus Maughan b. August 1, 1848. Died ca. 1904. He was married to Miss Mary Ann Johnson ca. 1870 while he was living in Greene County, AL. Mary Ann Maughan died shortly after the birth of her first child. Kittie Hollingsworth, sister of Asbury Capus, and his mother, Mary Caroline Maughan, took the baby, Nancy Caroline Elizabeth (Carrie) and reared her.
Asbury Capus left Alabama shortly after the birth of Carrie and moved to Panola County, MS, located in the north central part of the State. There he met and married Miss Tennessee Ferrell.
5. Mary Ann Elizabeth Maughan b. September 14, 1850. d. October 25, 1851.
6. Martha Caroline Elizabeth (Kittie) Maughan b. September 18, 1852 in Greene County, AL. Died June 2, 1935 in Aliceville, AL from colitis. She married John Newton Hollingsworth in Greene County on November 4, 1869 at the home of her mother.
Although Kittie had a large family of children, she accepted the infant daughter of her brother, Asbury Capus, into her home when the child's mother died and helped rear her with the help of her mother.
The 1880 Greene County census shows her mother, Mary Caroline Maughan, living in her home. She was caring for her mother in her last years.
Kittie and John Newton Hollingsworth are buried in the Pleasant Hill Cemetery in Greene Co., AL.
7. Robert Rhese Eugene (Bob) Maughan Born December 12, 1854. Died August 1909 in Columbus, MS where he made his home. Buried in Bethany Cemetery in Pickens County, AL., in an unmarked grave. He married Wilburnia Pickens (Willie) Peach, daughter of John Peach and Tamzy Caroline Gaskin Peach and sister of Cynthia Melvina Peach, wife of John Fletcher Maughan.
8. George Wesley Maughan b. May 27, 1857. d. July 16, 1858.
9. Salome Williams Maughan b. August 7, 1860. d. September 21, 1864.
10. Erastus Johnson Maughan b. May 22, 1863. d. August 26, 1868.
The children of William Walter Maughan and Mary Matila Rebecca Johnson are:
1. Mattie Salome Maughan b. January 26, 1871. d. September 24, 1952. m. Robert Edward (Bob) Colvin on January 26, 1899. Lived in Aliceville, AL. Buried at Unity Cemetery in Pickens County.
2. Samuel Erastus Maughan b. December 30, 1872. Died January 16, 1964. Buried at Unity Cemetery in Pickens County, AL. Married Lillie B. Phillips.
3. James Gilbert (Jim) Maughan b. March 3, 1874. Died 1948. Married Zoda Hildreth on April 23, 1903. Buried at Unity Cemetery in Pickens County.
4. Robert Wesley (Tense) Maughan b. September 5, 1875. d. July 1, 1962. Married Effie Lee Noland on April 2, 1901. Buried at Salem Cemetery in Pickens County.
5. Matthew Kirk (Dumps) Maughan b. May 6, 1877. Died October 23, 1937. Married Rosa Noland (sister of Lee Noland, wife of Robert Wesley (Tense) Maughan). Buried at Salem Cemetery in Pickens County.
6. Lillie Florence Maughan b. August 26, 1879. d. October 22, 1945. Married William Joiner. Buried at Tuscaloosa Memorial Park.
7. Mammie Maughan b. July 26, 1881. d. October 12, 1961. Married Andrew Columbus Lancaster. Buried at Tuscaloosa Memorial Park.
8. Minnie Lee Maughan b. July 3, 1883. Not married.
9. Mary Estelle Maughan b. January 26, 1885. d. February 2, 1951. Married Joe Cameron. Buried at Tuscaloosa Memorial Park.
The children of John Fletcher Maughan and Cynthia Melvina Peach are:
1. John Wesley Maughan b. October 14, 1870. d. 1944. Married Lela Jane Craft, daughter of John M. and Nancy Wren Lewis Craft. John Wesley was a farmer and lived in the Benevola Community in Pickens County. He was 5'6" tall, black hair, blue eyes. He died of complications of broken hip and asthma. He is buried at Bethesda Cemetery in Benevola.
John Wesley Maughan
2. Lula Fletcher Maughan b. December 19, 1871. d. December 7, 1948. Married George Abner Turner. Lula Turner was a schoolteacher. Buried at Bethesda Cemetery in Benevola.
Lula Fletcher Maughan
3. William Thomas Maughan b. February 18, 1873. d. March 20, 1950. Married (1) Annie Maud Hamiter. (She died shortly after the marriage and there were no children.); (2) Viva Grace Upchurch, daughter of John William Upchurch and Maudine Hudgins Upchurch. William and Viva are buried at Bethesda Cemetery in Benevola.
4. Robert Evalcus (Val) Maughan b. January 8, 1875. d. August 21, 1955. Married Hattie Elizabeth Sanders, daughter of Albert Sanders and Mattie Craft. Val and Hattie Maughan are buried at Bethesda Cemetery in Benevola. (photo)
Robert Evalcus (Val) Maughan
5. Lucy Lee Maughan b. October 4, 1878. d. March 2, 1959. Married Warren Richard Graves. Buried in Elmwood Cemetery in Birmingham. She had an enlarged heart, arthritis and acute eczema. She died of heart failure. Lucy was a registered nurse.
6. Laura Miriam Maughan b. June 20, 1881. d. February 6, 1964. Married Charles Rhodes Rush. Buried at Bethesda Cemetery in Benevola. Laura Rush was a registered nurse.
Laura Miriam Maughan
7. Horace Maughan b. May 14, 1883. d. February 2, 1952. Married Hattie Bell Worsham, daughter of Rev. & Mrs. L. D. Worsham of Marietta, Oklahoma. Horace Maughan is buried in Cedar Lawn Cemetery in Jackson, MS.
8. Lola Bell Maughan b. January 26, 1886. d. April 22, 1947. Married Jessie Carl Craft, son of John Anderson Craft and Mary Elizabeth (Mollie) Cole Craft. Lola Maughan Craft was known for being a good cook. She is buried at Bethesda Cemetery in Benevola.
9. Bessie Maughan b. September 22, 1889. d. February 27, 1892. Buried in Bethany Cemetery in Pickens County.
ca. 1915 Lola Craft seated, Lula Maughan standing.
A child of Asbury Capus Maughan and Mary Ann Johnson is:
1. Nancy Caroline Elizabeth (Carrie) Maughan b. September 2, 1871. d. October 4, 1939. Married Daniel Jones Gandy. They are both buried at Pleasant Hill Cumberland Presbyterian Church Cemetery in Greene County, AL. Carrie's mother died when she was an infant and her aunt, Kittie Maughan Hollingsworth, and the help of her grandmother Mary Caroline Williams Maughan reared her. Her father left the area and moved to Mississippi.
|Nancy Caroline Elizabeth (Carrie) Maughan with husband, Daniel Jones Gandy, ca. 1930. Their granddaughters L-R: Mollie Elizabeth, Carrie Ella, and Katie Elizabeth.||Daniel Jones Gandy with wife, Carrie.|
The children of Asbury Capus Maughan and Tennessee Ferrell are:
2. Willy Maughan Born in Longtown, MS. Died in 1976 in Blytheville, Arkansas.
3. A. C. Maughan Born in Longtown, MS.
4. Robert Hargrove Maughan Born 1889 in Longtown, Mississippi. Died of lung cancer in 1959 in Senatobia, MS. Married Frankie Pearl Wilkerson. Lived in eastern part of Tate County, Mississippi, during early marriage, later moving to Senatobia, MS, where he ran a country grocery store. He later worked for Senatobia Lumber Company as shop foreman while his wife ran the store.
5. Vernon Maughan Born in Longtown, MS. Died in 1978 in Memphis, TN.
6. Salomie Maughan
7. Mattie Maughan
The children of John Newton Hollingsworth and Martha Caroline Elizabeth (Kittie) Maughan are:
1. William Andrew Hollingsworth b. Aug. 1, 1870 in Greene County, AL. d. January 14, 1871 in Greene County.
2. Mary Anna Elizabeth Hollingsworth b. October 18, 1871 in Greene County, AL. Married John Stephens.
3. Mattie Penelope Hollingsworth b. November 29, 1873 in Greene County, AL. d. November 5, 1924 and buried at Pleasant Hill Cemetery in Greene County. Married W. A. Stephens.
4. Johnie Capers Hollingsworth b. March 14, 1875. d. October 1, 1877.
5. Edgar Earl Hollingsworth b. December 7, 1877 in Greene County, AL. d. November 28, 1878.
6. Bertie Allwin Hollingsworth b. October 3, 1879, in Greene County, AL. Not married. He was shot and killed on October 5, 1901 in a dispute over a business matter. This incident occurred at a ball field in Greene County. He was buried at Pleasant Hill Cumberland Presbyterian Church Cemetery. Charged with the murder was William H. Ragsdale. Thaddeus Gibson was named as accessory.
7. Claude Hollingsworth b. April 9, 1882. d. January 25, 1950 of cancer. Buried in Friendship Cemetery in Columbus, MS. Married Eula Elizabeth McElroy. Worked as nightwatchman for Moss Tire Company in Columbus.
8. Robert Leander Hollingsworth b. February 8, 1884. d. February 24, 1901. Killed with a baseball bat during a Sunday afternoon neighborhood baseball game at a local cow pasture near his home in Greene County. Believed to be accidental. He was 17 years old.
9. Jerome Clanton Hollingsworth b. Aug. 14, 1886. d. September 6, 1947. Buried in Friendship Cemetery in Columbus, MS. Married Annie Lee Parks.
10. Odessie Bunyan Hollingsworth b. 1888 in Greene County, AL. d. September 16, 1889.
11. Maude Elaine Hollingsworth b. July 28, 1890 in Greene County, AL. d. November 20, 1934. Buried in Pleasant Hill Cemetery in Greene County. Married Perryman Cockrell. Both died of tuberculosis in 1934.
12. Henry Cleveland Hollingsworth b. November 16, 1892. d. November 17, 1970. Married Mary Lee Sellers. Buried in Anniston, AL.
The children of Robert Reese Eugene Maughan and Willie Peach are:
1. Henry Clay Maughan b. February 18, 1880. d. January 10, 1921. Buried in Friendship Cemetery in Columbus, MS.
2. Alva Eugenia Maughan b. October 1883.
3. Sammy Hand Maughan b. September 26, 1885.
4. John Gilbert Maughan b. September 10, 1887. Died September 17, 1895. Buried at Bethany Cemetery in Pickens County, AL.
5. Robert Vernon Maughan b. March 24, 1892. d. August 1, 1894. Buried at Bethany Cemetery in Pickens County, AL.
7. William Archie Deal Maughan b. May 1897. d. 1971. Married Cora Colson, daughter of Vivian and Katie Peach Colson. Lived in Columbus, MS where he worked for Mississippi Gas Company in Columbus.
(Information on this generation furnished by: Miss Janie Colvin, Walter Maughan, Madeline Kelly, Irene Wingo, Horace Maughan, Jr. and Bobbye Winston.)
The children of Robert Edward Colvin and Mattie Salome Maughan are:
1. Cliff Harold Colvin b. June 22, 1900. d. August 22, 1957. Married Julia Elizabeth Hamiter. Lived in Aliceville and Carrollton. Buried in Carrollton Cemetery.
2. Clyde Norman Colvin (twin of Cliff Harold Colvin). b. June 22, 1900. d. January 29, 1961. Not married. Lived in Alicevile. Buried at Unity Cemetery in Pickens County, AL.
3. Elvie Norton Colvin b. November 29, 1901. d. August 21, 1970. Married (1) Jeweline Russell and (2) Annie Gaham. Lived in Aliceville, AL. Buried at Unity Cemetery in Pickens County, AL.
4. John William Colvin b. September 20, 1903. Deceased. Married Evelyn Irene Russell. Was a barber in Aliceville.
5. Ira B. Colvin b. April 1, 1906. d. April 16, 1955. Married Lois Atkins. Lived in Aliceville. Buried at Franconia Cemetery in Aliceville. (Lois Colvin later married Judge B. G. Robison, Jr. and they live in Carrollton, AL.)
6. Stafford H. Colvin b. July 5, 1907. d. May 6, 1974. Married Mary Louise Nichols. Lived in Tuscaloosa County. Buried in Memorial Park in Tuscaloosa.
7. Janie Rebecca Colvin b. September 19, 1909. Lived in Aliceville. Not married. She graduated from Livingston University and the University of Alabama and taught in the Pickens County public schools for 41 years. ("Miss Janie" was one of my favorite teachers.)
8. Mattie Maughan (Dot) Colvin b. August 10, 1915. Not married. Lives in Warren, Ohio.
The children of Samuel Erastus Maughan and Lillie B. Phillips are:
1. Hazle Alberta Maughan b. December 18, 1900. d. April 1, 1906. Buried at Unity Cemetery in Pickens County, AL.
2. Mildred Maughan b. February 1905. d. February 4, 1967. Married Ernest Cole. Buried in Carrollton Cemetery.
3. Lester Phillips Maughan b. August 1, 1909. Deceased. m. Lillie Mae Basham. Lived in Tuscaloosa, AL where he and his son, Don, owned H&W Drug Store. Both were pharmacist.
4. Oree Fletcher Maughan b. November 15, 1910. m. Thela Mae Tant, deceased. Lives in Tuscaloosa. Oree is retired from Delview Dairy in Tuscaloosa. No children.
A child of James Gilbert Maughan and Zoda Hildreth is:
One child died at birth.
The children of Robert Wesley Maughan and Effie Lee Noland are:
1. Mary Irene Maughan b. December 21, 1901. Married (1) Thomas Jefferson Pate and (2) Rev. James Ward Caldwell.
2. Infant son died at birth. Buried at Salem Primitive Baptist Church in Pickens County, AL.
3. James Newell Maughan b. September 5, 1904. Married Ruby Woodall. Lives in Huntsville, AL.
4. Walter Hugh Maughan b. February 28, 1907. Married Bessie Harless. Lives in Coker, AL. Retired 1971 from Alabama Gas Corp.
The children of Matthew Kirk (Dumps) Maughan and Rosa Noland are:
1. Noland Anthony Maughan b. October 18, 1901. Not married.
2. Floyd Alton Maughan b. November 20, 1904. m. (1) Levada Pate and (2) Temp Rushing.
3. L. C. Maughan b. November 15, 1906. m. Alice Virginia (Jean) Burkhalter. Lived in Gordo, AL. Both are deceased.
4. Marie Estelle Maughan b. December 13, 1909. m. Boyd Parham.
5. Marie Estelle Maughan b. December 13, 1909. m. Boyd Parham.
6. Barney Ernest Maughan b. October 14, 1911. m. Velma Ann McGee.
7. Lena Bell Maughan b. April 16, 1913. m. Woodrow Hobson.
8. Roy Price Maughan b. September 5, 1919. m. (1) Huston Levins and (2) E. F. (Bud) Mayfield.
9. Nona Lee Maughan b. October 1, 1919. m. (1) Huston Levins and (2) E. F. (Bud) Mayfield.
The children of William Joyner and Lillie Florence Maughan are:
1. Mildred J. Joyner b. December 18, 1903.
2. W. Maughan Joyner b. December 14, 1905.
3. Roy Ward Joyner b. July 18, 1908. d. March 24, 1948. Buried at Tuscaloosa Memorial Park, Tuscaloosa, AL.
4. Frank Hilton Joyner b. August 6, 1910.
5. Emily Nell Joyner b. June 20, 1914.
6. Ruth Judson Joyner b. August 10, 1916.
The children of Andrew Columbus Lancaster and Mammie Maughan are:
1. Bessie Rebecca Lancaster b. September 26, 1906. Married Action Hunter. Lives in Tuscaloosa.
2. Paul Columbus Lancaster b. April 4, 1908. d. May 20, 1968.
3. Ruth Hazel Lancaster b. October 20, 1910. d. November 1, 1961. Married a Mr. Bowers.
The children of Joe Cameron and Mary Estelle Maughan are:
1. Mary Edna Cameron b. September 12, 1913. m. Randal Crawford.
2. Cohen William Cameron b. July 12, 1915. d. February 23, 1979. Buried Tuscaloosa Memorial Park, Tuscaloosa County, AL.
3. Everette Earnest Cameron b. June 8, 1917. d. November 8, 1972. Buried in Nettleton, MS. Married Doris Shemprett.
4. Joe Ellis Cameron, Jr. b. June 3, 1921. Married Rebecca Aleene Greene.
5. William Dean Cameron b. November 23, 1924. Married Tommie Barton.
6. Nellie Cornelius Cameron b. July 31, 1926. Married Grady Richardson.
The children of John Wesley Maughan and Lela Jane Craft are:
1. Lyda Belle Maughan m. Peter T. Martin.
2. Bessie Kathleen Maughan m. Howard C. King.
3. Annie Maud Maughan m. Elton W. Speed.
4. Mary Lucy Maughan m. Marion B. Davis.
5. Lela Mae Maughan m. Gaynor Sanders.
The children of George Abner Turner and Lula Fletcher Maughan are:
1. John Kimbrough Turner b. Feb. 22. 1899. Not married.
2. William Hogan Turner b. Jan. 22, 1901. m. Julia Helen Scott. Hogan was a retired military officer. He was author of book, Descendants of Roger Turner, Jr. published in 1971.
3. Robert Fletcher Turner b. April 24, 1903. d. Oct. 2, 1971. m. Frances Lucille Sides. No children.
4. Mary Lee Turner b. Jan. 26, 1908. m. Ewaltus Glenn McKee, Sr. Divorced after 6 years, she never remarried.
5. Cinthy Inez Turner b. March 28, 1913. m. Allen Preston McElroy.
(NOTE: Above family info taken from book on Turner family by William H. Turner, Jr.)
|The children of William Thomas Maughan and Viva Grace Upchurch are:
1. William Cecil (Buster) Maughan b. Nov. 6, 1911. d. May 22, 1979. m. Mary Lucile Windle, born Aug. 19, 1914 and died June 18, 1982. They lived in Benevola and both are buried at Bethesda Church Cemetery in Benevola. Their children are:
(a) William Gerald Maughan, born Nov. 14, 1934 and married Nancy Barker
(b) James Donald Maughan, born Oct. 23, 1936 and died Nov. 26, 1936 of pneumonia. Buried at Bethesda.
(c) Kenneth Howard Maughan, born July 12, 1939 and married Brenda Kaye Boike. Ken and Brenda are retired and living in Pelham, AL. They have one son, Kevin Craig Maughan, born March 19, 1975 and married Diane Leigh Babb, born June 12, 1974. They married on May 23, 1999. Kevin is a Radiation Therapist and Diane is an attorney. They live in Pelham, AL. They had a son born July 28, 2006 and named him Emerson Bryant Maughan.
(d) Brenda Cecile Maughan,
born Oct. 3, 1952. Married Lt. Col. Michael Patrick (Mike) Hainsey.They
had one son, Christopher Alan Hainsey, born June 20, 1985 and died from brain
cancer on Oct. 17, 2005. They live in Columbus MS where Mike is director
of the Golden Triangle Regional Airport.
(a) Richard Earl Powell, born Dec. 1938.
Died Aug. 26, 2007.Buried at Bethesda Cemetery in Benevola. Married Connie Baird.
They have 3 daughters: Cherry King of Columbus, MS; Alice Powell of
Benevola and Tammy Sims of Benevola.
(a) Mary Linda Maughan, born Aug. 11, 1945. She married Jerry Clark. They live in Eutaw. Linda is a retired teacher
(b) Pamela Jean Maughan, born April 13, 1949. She married Byron Jackson Baggett. They live in Orange Park, FL.Pam teaches school.
(c) John Michael Maughan, born Oct. 6, 1952. He works for the Pickens
County Board of Education in Pickens County and lives in Benevola.
4. Phillip Thomas Maughan b. March 5, 1919. m. Ruth Justine Johnson. Lives in Slough House, CA.Both are deceased.There children are:
(a) Jane Viva Maughan, born June 20, 1952 and died July 1956 of leukemia. Buried at East Lawn Cemetry in Sacramento, CA.
(b) Carol Ruby Maughan, born June 23, 1953. Married John Gorter. They live in Reedly, CA.
(c) Peggy June Maughan, born Feb. 17, 1958. She married Lee
Bryant and lives in Galt, CA.
The children of Robert Evalcus (Val) Maughan and Hattie Elizabeth Sanders
(a) Chandler Murton, Jr.. born Nov. 15. 1932. He married
Janie Grace Jordan. Chan is deceased.
(a) Evelyn Bridges, born Sept 4, 1932. Married James Stamps.
(b) Earl Bridges, born Nov. 11, 1937.
(c) O'Neal Bridges, born Dec. 9, 1940. He married Sarah Kay Martin. They live in Northport, AL.
(d) Alton Hill Bridges, born July 30, 1942. Married Angela Weekly.
(e) Glenn Bridges, born March 15, 1951.
3. Robert Travis Maughan b. Feb. 29, 1912 and d. Nov. 16, 1995. Married Beatrice Thomas. They made their home in Leeds, AL. Beatrice died Oct. 10, 2005. Their children:
(a) Ferrell Maughan, born Sept. 11, 1935. Married Margie Lynn Anderson. They live in Birmingham, AL.
(b) Elsie Ruth Maughan, born Oct. 14, 1940. Married Calvin Eugene
Maughan. They live in Crystal River, FL.
4. Madeline Maughan b. Nov. 14, 1913. m. Barney Clarence Kelly. They live near Aliceville, AL.Their children:
(a) Barney Kelly, Jr., born Dec. 19, 1930. Married Merle Upchurch. Barney is deceased.
(b) Roy Allen Kelly, born Aug. 13, 1934. He is Probate Judge of Pickens Co., AL. He has served as Assistant D.A. and has served two terms as Mayor of Aliceville, AL. He is not married.
(c) Carolyn Ann Kelly, born Sept. 23, 1937. She married John P. Lay, deceased. Carolyn lives in Tuscaloosa, AL.
(d) Daniel Maughan Kelly, born Dec. 19, 1939. Married Shelby McCool, deceased. Dan lives in Tuscaloosa, AL.
(e) Raymond Kelly, born born July 18, 1942. Raymond lives in Tuscaloosa, AL.
(f) Eleanor Ruth Kelly, born Aug. 20, 1945. Married
Coston Addison Blakney. They live in Aliceville, Al.
(a) Gay Marie Brewer, born June 15, 1931 and died Dec. 19, 1989. Married Billy Edmond Lawson, died Dec. 27, 2001.
(b) Robert Austin Brewer, born July 24, 1932 and died May 9, 1971 of toxic shock syndrome. Married Barbara Sue Kimble.
(c) Fred Hobson Brewer, born Nov. 14, 1934 and died June 6, 2000. Married Judith Kaye Patrick but was divorced.
(d) Bobby Warren Brewer, born May 6, 1937. Married Nelda Rebecca Smith, died Dec. 13, 2005. Bobby lives in Caledonia, MS.
(e) Roland Wayne Brewer, born Jan. 5, 1939. Married Alice Rebecca Sudduth, died May 24, 2002. He was remarried to Syble Corbitt on Oct. 18, 2003. They live in Millport, AL.
(f) Lucy Elouise (Weezie) Brewer, born April 22, 1940. (She was named after Aunt Lucy Maughan Graves.) Married Jack Wilson, died March 13, 1993. Weezie lives in Columbus, MS.
(g) Phillip Morris Brewer, born Aug. 20, 1942. Married Darla Jean Brigham and lives in Goose Creek, SC.
(h) James Albert Brewer, born Jan. 31, 1944 and died Jan. 14, 2003. Lived in Chambersburg, PA.
(i) Jerry Kenneth Brewer, born May 14, 1946. Jerry lives in Vernon, AL.
(j) Carey Ervin Brewer, born Jan. 13, 1949. Married Virginia Ann Hill who died Dec. 24, 2004. He remarried Betty Crossley on Aug. 26, 2005.
(k) Terry Ronald Brewer, born Jan. 7, 1952. Married Brenda Joyce Maxell. They live in Columbus, MS.
(l) Kathy Gail Brewer, born Dec. 16, 1953.
Married Mike Perrigen and they live in Eupora, MS.
(a) Sandra Kay Maughan, born July 22, 1944 in Selma, AL. Lives in Selma.
(b) Brenda Gayle Maughan, born June 29, 1947 in Prattville, Al. Married Robert L. Butler.
(c) Robert Terry Maughan, born April 11, 1954 in Wichita, Kansas. Married Deborah Lynn Moody. They live in Selma.
(d) Donna Lynn Maughan, born Aug. 13, 1962 in Montgomery, AL.
Married James Dale Nichols.
(a) Bessie Allen Watt, born Sept. 11, 1938. Married James Raymond Poole. They live in Aliceville, Al.
(b) David Leon Watt, born Sept. 25, 1940 and died Jan. 14, 1969 from burns received in accident at home. Buried at Methodist Church Cemetery in Cooksville, MS.
(c) Robert Allen (Do Little) Watt, born Aug. 5, 1942. Married Elizabeth McDaniel. They live in Marvin Chapel Community in Pickens Co., AL.
(d) William Ray (Pap) Watt, born Jan. 27, 1947. Lives in Morrow GA.
(e) Juanita Watt, born May 4, 1960. Lives in Morrow,
(a) Lester Woodrow "Woodie" Edwards, Jr., born June 15, 1944. Married Connie Maiers. They live in Raleigh, NC. Woodie retired the end of 2006 from Sun Trust Bank. Their children are:
1. Brian Douglas Edwards, born April 27, 1971. Married Angela Smith. They
live in Wilmington, N.C. They have two children:
2. Ashley Nicol Edwards, born July 16, 1973. Married John Wesley
Edwards. They live in Amelia, VA. They have 3 children:
(b) John Nicholas Edwards born Oct. 27, 1949.
Married Gayle Soper. They live in Seabrook, MD. They have one child:
Cynthia Maughan Edwards, born Oct. 27, 1950. Married Kenneth Dwight
Messer. (She was named after Cynthia Melvina Peach Maughan.)
(a) Lewis Edward Maughan, born Aug. 10, 1957. Married Lori Strudgeon. Lewis is a long distance truck driver. They live in Edinboro, PA. He has two step-children, Sean and Lisa.
(b) James A. (Jimmy) Maughan, born Oct. 4, 1960. Lives in Carthage, TX. He and his wife, Debbie, have one child and Jimmy has three step-children. Jimmy has worked off shore for many years but after a back injury he now helps Debbie in their business - a pool store and a bottle water store.
(c) Grace Elizabeth (Beth) Maughan, born March 21, 1962. Lives in Gulfport MS. Beth is divorced and has three children who live with their Dad, John C. Davidson in Fair Oaks CA. Children are: (1) Christina Marie Davidson born Jan. 20, 1987 and twins (2) Stephen Eugene Davidson and (3) Jennifer Nicole Davidson, born April 12, 1989.
(d) Karen S. Maughan, born March 23, 1964. Lives in Saucier MS.
She is married to James Moreau. They have one son, James Earl Moreau III,
born March 27, 1998. Karen has an older daughter, Deena, born 9-7-1982 and
lives near her.
|The children of Jessie Carl Craft and Lola Bell Maughan are:
1. Bracy Dawson (Bill) Craft b. Feb. 16, 1907. d. Nov. 6, 1985. m. Ruby Gladys Nettles (b. Nov. 25, 1907 and d. July 4, 1985), daughter of Zachariah George Nettles and Ruby Sue Henderson Nettles of Camden, AL (Wilcox Co.). Bill was a farmer and for many years ran a small country store in Benevola. . They are both buried in Bethesda Cemetery in Benevola. Bill joined Bethesda Presbyterian Church in Benevola on Sept. 14, 1917 by profession of faith.
Their children are:
(a) Betty Jean Craft, born Sept. 14, 1933. Married Ralph Rountree Banks, Jr., deceased. Betty lives in Eutaw, Al.
(b) Bobbye Gayle Craft, born March 17, 1941. Married Tommy Wilson Winston. They live in Benevola Community. Tommy and Bobbye have one daughter, Kimberly Winston Criswell, born May 19, 1962. Kim is Director of Social Services at Baptist Hospital in Columbus, MS. Kim married Andrew Criswell. They live on the river in Pickensville, AL. Andy is a civil engineer in Columbus, MS. They have two daughters, Haley Michelle Criswell, born April 17, 1989 and Robin Leigh Criswell, born May 8, 1991.
(c) Carl Cole Craft, born Sept. 21, 1950. Carl is a
victim of downs syndrome and lives in a group home in Aliceville, Al.
(a) Joanne Lancaster, born June 8, 1945 and died Feb. 19, 2006. Married John Kirk
Pate.John Kirk, born Jan. 15, 1947 and died Dec. 25, 2009.
|The children of Daniel Jones Gandy and Nancy Caroline Elizabeth Maughan are:
1. Clara Mae Gandy b. October 15, 1890. d. December 31, 1910. Married Joseph Wilburn Leavelle. She lived in Greene County and is buried at Pleasant Hill Cumberland Presbyterian Church Cemetery. (After her death in 1910, Joseph Leavelle married her sister, Bessie Ophelia Gandy.)
2. Claude Wilson Hollingsworth b. b. April 2, 1916 at Pleasant Ridge, AL. Married Marie Mae Colvin and they live in Eutaw, AL.
The children of Sammy Hand Maughan are:
John Fletcher Maughan letter
The following letter were written to Margaret Amanda Wilson, a beloved Weir relative who had moved away from Greene County to Saltillo, Miss. This letter is from John Fletcher Maughan within weeks after the death of his wife, Eliza Jane, and young daughter. (Letter copied as written.)
October 6, 1868
My dear and well beloved Aunty Wilson: I received your most kind and welcome letter a few days past and was truly glad to hear from you and family once more, for I felt just like I was one of your connection that was looked over and not much cared for.
You wanted to know if I had got all the letters that had been sent to me, I certainly have not, they are on the way some where I reakon, they have never reached here yet.
Aunt I was truly glad to hear of your fine protracted meeting out there, I have been to several protracted meetings out here, but could not stay long enough at none of them to do me much good. There has not been any protracted meetings on the ridge this fall, or I don't hear of it.
Aunt, our crop is short every way this year we have out 2 bales of cotton, we sold one two weeks past at 27 1/2 cents and I expect we will keep the rest of our cotton until spring, if we can't get 30 cents for it, for we are making so little that we will be brought down this year to a perfect picture shape. I can't think of working this old poor place next year, I will be moving again Christmas, and I tell you aunt, I won't move many more times, I intend to have me a place of my own, if it is a poor one and it will keep me from moving so much.
Ma says tell you that she has just got out 3 counterpins, out of the loom, this morning and will put a blanket in the loom tomorrow, she sends her best respects to you and family, also sister Kitty, she is going to change her name in a few weeks.
Aunt you give Cousin Eliza my love and tell her that I am much disappointed in my aim, but she must not forget me entirely and to write to me, as ever she has done. Give my love to Cousin Amelia and the rest of the family and all of you must write to me as usual, for I assure you that I will answer your letters.
Aunt I hope you will remember me in your devotions.
From your devoted friend,
John F. Maughan
I hope you all remember me. If you on earth no more I see, an interest in your prayer I crave, that we may meet beyond the grave. Farewell, dear aunt and family
John F. Maughan did move once more, to Pickens Co. where he married Cynthia Melvina Peach, the daughter of John and Tamzy Caroline Gaskin Peach, on November 2, 1869 and bought his own farm. He died August 8, 1902 and is buried at Bethesda Cemetery in Benevola.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids