Camden SC Historical Park
Built in 1812.
John Drakeford, born ca. 1719 in VA, was Captain of the Militia of Granny's Quarter Creek in St. Mark's Parish in Camden District in Craven County , South Carolina . He died at Kershaw Co., SC on or before 1789.
John Drakeford and his brother, Richard came from Fairfax Co., VA. and settled on Flat Rock Creek in the upper part of Kershaw Co. about the middle of the 18th century. Old land titles show that John was here as early as 1754. The two brothers were gallant patriot soldiers in the Revolution. A sword cut on the head desperately wounded Richard, but he recovered and raised a large family. Richard died in 1825. John lived to a great age, dying about 1850. The first Drakefords came to this country from England . Many in SC and Alabama trace their lineage to the branch of the family that settled in Kershaw District.
The Drakeford Log House, built ca. 1810, is located in Historic Camden, South Carolina. The house originally stood 12 miles north of Camden near Flat Rock Road . Donated to Camden District Heritage Foundation by descendants of builder, the house was dismantled, marked piece-by-piece and reconstructed here in 1970. The house has an interior staircase that is unusual in a log house.
John Drakeford, Sr. and his wife, Sarah, had three children. They were:
1. John Drakeford, Jr., Married Sarah Sanders.
2. Richard Drakeford was born ca. 1750 in VA and died 1826 in Flat Rock Community in Kershaw District , SC. He married Sarah Scott, daughter of William and Martha Scott. Richard served in Revolutionary War.
3. Elizabeth Drakeford married James Scott, Jr.
Richard Drakeford and Sarah Scott had 8 children. They were:
1. Colonel William Scott Drakeford, born 1788 in Kershaw District , SC and died there in 1871. Buried in unmarked grave at Drakeford Cemetery . Wife named Elizabeth .
2. Susannah Drakeford married David Evans.
3. Delilah Drakeford, born 1793. Died Feb. 2, 1878 . Married Patrick Layton. They moved to Bethany in Pickens Co., AL from Kershaw District , SC ca. 1840. Patrick died in 1851 and is buried in Bethany Cemetery . In 1860 Delilah was living with Nathaniel and Margaret Drakeford West. Delilah moved to Carroll Co., MS with the West family where she died in 1878.
Two children of Patrick and Delilah Layton were: Sarah Elizabeth Layton, who was married to Alfred Peach in Olney , AL on Nov. 20, 1855 , by Rev. Alexander M. Hanks. This couple moved to Saltillo , MS and are buried there; and Susanna Caroline Layton, who married Lewis Kenard Gardner.
4. Nancy Drakeford, born Aug. 17, 1779 in Kershaw District, SC. Died June 20, 1852 in Olney. Buried at Unity Cemetery . Married James Sanders.
5. Mary Drakeford married Archibald McDowell.
6. Jane Drakeford married Joseph Layton.
7. Sarah Drakeford married Hugh McClester.
8. Elizabeth Drakeford married Turner Cockrum.