Cowsert Families in Pickens County AL
|Back to Cowsert Family
Back to Hughes Family
Back to Index Page
by Wanda Sanders Bodemann
John H. Cowsert Sr. was born between 1745 and 1755 in Augusta, VA. He died 29 Sep 1817 in Chester, SC. His wife was Margaret ____, born ca 1745 and died Apr 1819 in Chester, SC.
Some children of John H Cowsert Sr. are:
1. Margaret, born 1781 in Chester, SC and died 1846 in Bolivar MS. She married Hugh Ingram.
2. Thomas, born 17 Jan 1784 in SC, wife Esther McGraw, and moved to Georgia; died in 1833.
3. John H Jr, born 20 Oct 1785 in SC and died 29 Aug 1843. Married Elizabeth ____. Moved to Pickens County AL by 1830 and is buried in Bethany Cemetery.
4. Richard, born 1787 in SC married Martha ___; died 7 Mar 1861 in Lockhart SC. No issue. Buried in the “Old Irish Graveyard” near Turkey Creek.
5. Mary married John? Darby or Dansby. NFR
7. James married Agnes ____. NFR
8. David ?(was buyer at the estate sale, could be in this family)
9. Joseph born 27 Jan 1796 in SC, married Sarah Stephens ca 1817, died 1861 in Richland MS. Buried in Richland Cemetery at intersection of Highways 14 & 17.
Children of John Cowsert, Jr and Elizabeth ____ were:
1. Ellen Cowsert,* born 20 Dec 1815 in SC; married Dr William Hughes ca 1835, and died 18 Apr 1852 at Bethany. Both buried in Bethany Cemetery in Pickens County. (*We do not have absolute proof she is their daughter, but they are buried near the parents, and census confirms an older daughter her age. Her birth date came from an earlier Cowsert researcher who placed her in the wrong Cowsert family.)
2. Richard D F Cowsert, born 16 Sep 1818 in SC, married Eleanor Adeline Cowsert, his first cousin, and died 18 Apr 1853 at Bethany; buried Bethany Cemetery in Pickens Co AL.
Children of Joseph and Sarah Stephens Cowsert were:
1. John Jimmerson, born 29 Mar 1819 in SC, married Dorcas Melvina Harbin, died 15 Jul 1890 in Goodman, MS.
2. George A, born 13 Aug 1823 in SC, went to California in 1849.
3. William F, born 9 Jun 1825, married Willie Griffin. William joined Walker’s Army in TX.
4. Eleanor Adeline, born 26 May 1827 in AL. Married (1) Richard D F Cowsert, her first cousin, (2) Samuel King and (3) James A Mabry. She died 23 Feb 1889 in Pickens Co AL, buried in Bethany Cemetery, Pickens Co AL under Mrs. E A Mabry.
5. Richard L, born 17 Jul 1829 in AL. Moved to CA, then TX.
6. David S, born 24 Jun 1831, moved to TX.
7. Sarah Angeline, born 11 Aug 1833, married Henry Bonner McGee; she died 9 Aug 1899 in Tchula, MS.
8. Mary Anna, born 31 Dec 1836 in AL, married William David Stevens, her first cousin.
9. Nancy C, born 25 Nov 1839 in AL. Died 29 Jul 1848 at Richland MS.
10. Thomas Shelton, born 24 Apr 1843 in Holmes Co MS, died 17 Jun 1863 Pittsburg PA. He was captured at Camp Timmons, died USA General Hospital.
Children of Eleanor Adeline and (1) Richard Cowsert are:
1. Sarah E M Cowsert, born 12 Jul 1849, married James Gray Sanders 31 Jul 1866 in Pickens Co AL, died 10 Aug 1899. Both are buried in Sanders Cemetery in Scott County, AR.
2. Mary J Cowsert, born 1851, NFR.
3. Nancy Eleanor Cowsert, (“Cricket”), born 1853 in AL, died 23 Oct 1894 in Bryce Memorial Hospital in Tuscaloosa AL. Buried on the grounds.
Children of Eleanor Adeline and (2) Samuel King:
1. Samuel S King, born 27 Oct 1857 AL. Married Neila Massey, he died 30 Jun 1913, both buried in Bethany Cemetery, Pickens Co AL.
2. Alice Eugenia King born 16 May 1859 in AL, married John Wesley Hanson 11 Mar 1879, died 21 Jun 1928 Carrollton AL. Both buried in Carrollton Cemetery.
3. M Adeline King, born 1860, married Alexander Hudgins; both died in a tornado and are buried in Unity Cemetery, Pickens Co AL.
4. Joseph King, born 1863 in AL, last seen walking west at MS state line with brother John H Mabry.
Children of Eleanor Adeline and (3) James A Mabry:
1. Emma Estel Mabry, born 16 Sep 1867 in AL, married William Harvey Cole 22 Jan 1888 at residence of E E Mabry, died 2 Feb 1952 in Parks AR; both buried in Parks Cemetery.
2. John H Mabry, born Dec 1869 in AL, marr (1) Virgie Holland and (2) Sannie E Austin 5 Mar 1896 in Scott Co AR. Died in Guthrie OK.
Wanda Sanders Bodemann, 155 Forest View Circle, (501) 609-9630, Lcbode@cablelynx.com
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids