Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Kinnick 2003 Genealogy Book

Prepared as Part of The Kinnick Project,
from the works of hundreds of people by
Compiler, William L. (Bill) Smith

Chapter
Menu

Dorcas and Joseph Front Page

Background information

Morristown, Union Township
Belmont County, OH

 

Morristown * Belmont County, OH (History Book)

Verbatim transcription copy (selected passages):

This little village of Morristown, Ohio, was first settled at the close of the 18th century, one of the first to be settled west of Wheeling on Zane Trace later to be called the National Highway. This is one of the oldest towns in the county laid out in April 4, 1803 by John Zane and William Chapline of Wheeling and named for the first settler Duncan Morrison, who was a Justice of the Peace. The National Road passed through it. It was quite a commercial town at an early date. Among the early business men were Nicolas Rodgers (Tanner), Alexander Morrison and Robert Morrison (saddlers), John Milner (blacksmith), Richard Bazwell (shoemaker), William Harvey (tavern-keeper). Dr. Alexander Gaston practiced medicine as early as 1811. …

The Village from its inception became one of the stage coach stops for points further west. There was a tavern on both sides of the highway, both equipped to take care of man or beast. One building is still standing, The Black Horse Inn. At one time there were also three dry goods stores, two drugstores, two Hotels, one grist mill, one tan yard, two saddle shops, three shoeshops, two hardware stores, one livery stable, one silver-smith, two stock dealers, four doctors, one dentist, carpenters, wagon-makers, blacksmiths, bricklayers, stone-masons, cigar factory, glove factory, a jail, harness shop, telegraph office, telephone office, hack and freight office, a Bank, and a funeral home. …

The first postmaster was Samuel Hathway … serving from April 1, 1807 …

The above information in the History Book, "taken from History of the Upper Ohio Valley Vol. II and records of Morristown Christian Church concerning the Christian Church. By: Millie Russell"



The Establishment of Belmont County, OH (History Book)

Verbatim transcription copy (selected passages):

Established by act of General Arthur St. Clair, Belmont County became an entity September 7, 1801, out of what had been parts of Jefferson and Washington counties, the latter having included all of Eastern Ohio and the territory westward to the Scioto River. When Jefferson County was established in 1797, it controlled all of the territory from Lake Erie southward to what is now Belmont County and westward to cover an area which included at lease one strip of eastern counties.

Belmont was the ninth and last county established under the government of the Northwest Territory. It was the next year that the territorial assembly passed as act April 30, 1802, permitting Belmont countians to elect a delegate to the first Ohio constitutional convention in Chillicothe. James Caldwell won the honor of helping draft the constitution during the convention convening November 1, 1802.

Pultney was the first county seat, this being about on the site of the old Avondale School above Shadyside. A $500 two-story brick courthouse was erected and the first court session under the territorial government convened there November 24, 1801, with David Lockwood as presiding judge; the other members of the court being Jacob Repshire and Daniel McElherren. On April Fools Day of 1803, the general assembly named James Brown, John Matthews and Robert Speer to select a permanent county seat. As a result of their recommendations, the legislature declared St. Clairsville, then called Newellstown for its founder, David Newell, to be the county seat January 19, 1804. This move cost the county the difference between the $500 paid for the first courthouse and $219 for which it ws sold, plus the expenses of a new building in St. Clairsville.

When General St. Clair created the county by his proclamation in 1801, the county consisted of four townships - Kirkwood, Pultney, York and Salem; Richland Township being set up in 1802. First cut in the county's size took place March 1, 1810, when Salem Township and apparently some other territory were shifted to help with the formation of Guernsey County that day. The county was further reduced in size January 29, 1813, when a southern row of townships was shaved off to go into the makeup of Monroe County. So far as is known, the slimming process did not continue through it is believed that part of the land given Guernsey County went into Noble County in 1851 when the last one of the state's 88 counties was created. At the moment, the county has either 534 or 539 square miles of area, the difference depending on which book is used as the source for the figures.

From: A Wheeling, W.Va., newspaper clipping, September 4, 1955. Submitted by: Margaret Kirkland

If you know of content material that could/should be added to this page, including links to other sites, please let us know, now, so we can move to doing that.

Page last updated 20 Jan 2002