Search billions of records on

Kinnick 2003 Genealogy Book

Prepared as Part of The Kinnick Project,
from the works of hundreds of people by
Compiler, William L. (Bill) Smith


George and Hannah Front Page

Trip Part 1

Trip Part 2

Trip Part 3

North Carolina to Indiana - Part 1:

The gathering together and
getting on the road over the mountains.

KG p. 44-48, From North Carolina to Indiana in 1850 (selected passages):

"This was an eventful and notable year in the lives of many branches of the Kinnick family. "

"I have read many books of adventure, migrations and colonizations into new countries and new states in America, thinking as I read, What brave people!"

"Since reaching maturity and giving my own family background study, I find I was bred and born in a family teeming with historic adventure on both sides of the family. The discoveries I have made since 1930 of my background opens the door which hitherto was closed, as far as my knowledge was concerned. It is now January 19, 1950, almost a hundred years after the events of this chapter took place. I have been doing research for twenty years on the history our Kinnick clan has made and as I proceed it becomes more interesting and colorful with each new discovery." …

"I find that five men of our family gave service, which will appear on the Revolutionary Roster of soldiers' service elsewhere in this volume."

"There are still names of Kinnicks found in Maryland but our ancestor, John Kinnick and wife Ann left Maryland and we find them in Davie County, North Carolina, on the Yadkin River in 1795. So they lived in Maryland at least twenty years, how much longer we do not know as early records were destroyed by fire in that state; so probably we will never know the date of their entrance into the U.S.A., which I think was their greatest adventure by crossing the Atlantic Ocean at that early date."

"Their next adventure was their migration from Maryland to North Carolina, … (mention of children, including some errors of fact) …"

"By 1850, both of their parents had died, … (the sons and daughters) had large families and were large land owners and were established permanently it seems in North Carolina for life as the older had lived there for over fifty years."

"(some of the sons had gone to Indiana)…, and had no doubt sent work back of the prospects for land and good opportunities for living and they became interested. One brother, James, who came to Indiana in 1831, with his family, died in 1834, leaving his wife, Margaret Ecles Kinnick and seven children; another son was born that same year after his death, making a family of eight children, the eldest being only seventeen years old. Their mother died in 1843."

"In these twenty-five years of separation I can imagine there were days of longing and yearning to see each other. I fancy it was the subject of conversation at every meal and around every fireside in N.C., and finally there came a time that it seemed best to "sell out" and start to Indiana and make a new home. Of course the crops had to be harvested and stock and grain sold, the gardens and orchard had to be gathered in, all of which took time and all hands had to work and work hard."

"In the meantime George Kinnick had a stroke of paralysis which affected him from the waist down so that he could not walk. His children did not know what to do for they thought he could not make the long journey, nor could they leave him for their mother Hannah to care for him alone, for she also was in her sixties. So they met to talk it over, so much that one day their father overheard them. He sat in a chair made especially for him; it had rollers on the legs which he propelled by using two canes. So as they were in the height of discussion one day he heard them say - "What are we going to do about Pap?" He suddenly appeared on the scene and said, "You needn't say 'What are going to do about Pap?' for Pap's going along," and go he did, riding all the way on a cot put in his own big covered wagon, which was the largest of any in that neighborhood, so it was said. He never left his cot during that long journey. He had the boys fix a rope on a pulley over his cot so when they came to a rough place in the road he could steady himself by holding on to the rope; and dear great grandmother Hannah cared for him all that long, long way."

"Nearing the time they had set to start, one of the families still had three hogs which they had not sold which they had not sold and wondered what they were going to do with them. So great grandfather George came to the rescue by saying, "Boys, go out there in the lot and make a crate big enough to hold three hogs and we'll swing it underneath the wagon; we may need them hogs before we get to Indiana." So that was done."

"There were so many things that were dear to the womenfolks that must be left behind. Aunt Sarah Sheek said: "I'm not going unless I can come back and get my flowers," not realizing the distance. Great grandmother Hannah and all her daughters loved flowers and had them in great abundance. She had so many flowers that when the new owners built the present house they went in the yard with a team of horses and plowed them up. This I was told by the tenant, Mr. Wesley Riddle, in 1947, when I visited the old Kinnick home site."

"Just what furniture they were able to bring couldn't have been very much, for their wagons were full to overflowing with their families. There were seven different families, ranging in age from sixty-six to babes in arms. There were also six single young men who were unattached, four of whom were as yet in the family, but two were sweethearts of two of the young ladies; two others were bachelors, one of whom was a nephew of Hannah Grimes; the other was no relation."

"With a paralyzed man and expectant mothers in the group they presented a serious and complex aspect for traveling a distance of almost a thousand miles by wagon. There is a difference of opinion slightly as to just how many wagons were in that caravan and just how long it took for the journey."

"The Boner Family committee said they came in two covered wagons and four spring wagons and it took four weeks for the journey. Others have said it took longer. In any case they camped out at least twenty-eight or thirty nights. It took twelve horses to draw those wagons and feed for horses, hogs and cows besides food for three meals a day for nearly forty people. To be exact there were thirty-seven people, too many to ride in wagons for lack of room; so the young men and boys had to walk a good part of the way, one of whom was George Kinnick Barlow, who was then just a lad of nine years. This information came from his son, Earnest Barlow, who lives in Morgan County, Indiana."

"After all the plans were completed and their wagons filled with provisions, it would be necessary for them all to gather at one place. The most logical place would be the old John Kinnick homestead, then the home of his son, George Kinnick, who was father or grandfather of them all."

"After seeing that place in 1947, which is still heavily wooded with great forest trees, and many old buildings still standing and the winding road, I can visualize that family darting in and out of the houses bringing out the last-minute treasures, putting them in the wagons. I imagine they were all up a dawn having a hasty breakfast, the men feeding and currying the horses, hitching them to their wagons with the horses neighing, the cows bawling, the hogs grunting underneath the wagons, the dogs barking in the excitement of all this confusion, not understanding what all this excitement meant. When finally great grandfather George was placed on his cot and carried to his own covered wagon, with great grandmother Hannah placed in a chair by his side, that was the signal for everyone to get in their proper place."

"With the confusion over the front wagon driver shouted back, "All ready," and slowly the wheels began to roll and they started out through that narrow winding woodland lane. I can guess there were many tears shed, many hearts aching, to leave the home of their childhood, which had been home to some of them for fifty years."

"That certainly was a testing time to their faith. As far as is known there was not a soul in that great caravan who had ever seen the country through which they must travel, nor the final destination they were seeking in Indiana to make a new home; but they had relatives here who were brothers, sons, and orphan nieces and nephews, some of the latter whom they had never seen. So there was a spirit and urge that led them on, that overcame all hardships encountered. Travel was very slow and tedious over the dirt roads that were not much more than trails one hundred years ago. They must cross the Cumberland Mountains and go around and over the foothills of the Smoky Mountains, increasing their mileage materially, so it would take them all of two weeks' journey to reach the Cumberland Gap, which route they took. Between Mocksville, N.C., in Davie County and the Cumberland Gap was the most rugged country through which they had to travel, a distance of at least two hundred miles around and over the mountains, which extended as far as Middlesboro where Tennessee, Virginia, Kentucky and North Carolina meet."

"I wish I knew the exact date they started but I expect that will remain unknown. All I could ascertain from the older ones of the family was that they left North Carolina in the fall of the year of 1850. A day's journey was so short in mileage, that when they encamped at night-fall they could still see the smoke smouldering from the campfires they had left that morning; so it may have taken them more time than above mentioned to get out of the state of North Carolina."

"This Kinnick farm was about four miles west of Clemmons which was just over the county line in Forsythe County and about six miles northeast of Mocksville, the county seat of Davie County. It was close to the north bend of the Yadkin River, which was in plain view from the east, as it flowed on its way to the south."

"The Boner farm could be seen on the east bank of the river. In order for these two families to visit each other they had to cross the river by private boats or use the ferry which was run by a negro slave, who was so faithful that when he died he was honored by being placed in the cemetery for white people by his friends of that community; whose grave I saw, along with many of the Sheek family who were buried there; but no Kinnicks were placed there as far as I could find."

"Between the Sheek and Kinnick families there was too much forest for visibility between their homes though the distance was not very great."

"I have up to the present time been unable to locate where the following families lived in North Carolinaa; the Barlow's Harrises, Allens and Grosses. Although I did find John Harris's name in the Tax List."

"By the time they had reached the Cumberland Gap, the weather must have been getting pretty cold and their food supply greatly diminished, especially for the stock. But they solved that matter to some extent by deciding to camp for a day in a suitable place, and all hands turn in to assist in one of the most unusual day's work imaginable."

Part 2: Hog Killing on the Trail! | Part 3

If you know of content material that could/should be added to this page, including links to other sites, please let us know, now, so we can move to doing that.

The KINNICK Project

The KINNICK Family Resource Page

Kinnick GenConnect Boards

Kinnick Mailing List

Bill Smith, Coordinator

kbk Front Page (Old)

kbk Menu

kbk What's New?(Old)

Page last updated 20 Jan 2002