1850 to 1976
A COLLECTION OF HISTORICAL SKETCHES
AND FAMILY HISTORIES
COMPILED BY MEMBERS AND FRIENDS
OF THE FULTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY
The Fulton County Historical Society
Wauseon, Ohio 43567
Page 198. Lyons
Lyons, a small village in the midst of a prosperous agricultural area, is just one mile from the Ohio-Michigan line. In fact it was in Michigan territory before the Ohio-Michigan war.
At one time this village of Lyons and surrounding territory were occupied only by Indians. In 1833 Eli Phillips settled one and one-half mile east of the present site of Lyons. Originally his settlement was called Phillips Corners and later became known as Seward. Seward now is merely an intersection of Ohio Route 109 and Ohio Route 120, the store building and old Phillips home having been destroyed to improve a dangerous intersection.
In 1833 Jenks Morey came to Fulton County from Mentor, Ohio. He settled on Section 9 of Royalton Township, thereby owning most of the land upon which Lyons was developed. Mr. Morey maintained an inn or hostelry in a wooden structure and the nearby area became known as "Morey's Corners." Irma Colbath in a letter to Doris Ingall written in 1966 related that the name "Lyons" was given by the Richardson brothers, Elias and "Old" Uncle Thomas, after their home town of Lyons, New York.
Page 262. Stephen Edgar Hinkle
While the immediate ancestry of Steven Edgar HINKLE of Royalton came from York state, they were early settlers in Fulton county. Mr. Hinkle was born in Royalton April 1, 1853, a son of Ephraim and Susan (HUGHTON) HINKLE, the father from Cayuga and the mother from Rensselaer county, New York. The grandparents, John and Mercy (REED) HINKLE, had come early to Fulton county. Stephen and Hulda (SMITH) Houghton, in the maternal ancestry, had removed from New York to the site of Toledo, and lived there many years before there was a city.
John HINKLE, the man who brought the family name to Fulton County, entered 240 acres of wild land and later he secured 400 acres where Lyons now stands, part of it having been platted for the town. When the HOUGHTON ancestry settled in what is now Amboy they entered 240 acres of wild land, and before coming to Fulton County they had entered a half section of land in what is now Toledo. This proved an excellent investment.
On April 10, 1872, S. E. HINKLE married Hattie CASS, of Maumee. She was born March 12, 1853, a daughter of Joseph G. And Mary Ellen (WILSON) CASS. Her father came from New Hampshire while her mother was from Coshocton County. Her grandfather, Bernard CASS, was among the early residents of Maumee. Mr. HINKLE brought his bride to the home of his parents, and then located on an eighty acre farm west of Lyons, remaining there three years. From there he moved to Washington Township, Lucas County, remaining seven years.
When Mr. HINKLE returned to Fulton County he bought out the heirs to the family homestead, and another eighty acre place. He laid out Plainfield addition to Lyons, and sold out some of the lots, and he still owns lots and some improved property there. On the farm Mr. HINKLE always has from twenty to thirty head of grade Holstein dairy cows, and the milk business is a profitable industry.
The children are: Ephraim C., who met death on a railroad, had married Georgia FERGUSON, and they had two sons, Kenneth and Ray, who live in Detroit; Philena is the wife of Houghton FERGUSON of Toledo and her children are: Henry L. and Keron, the last named, deceased; Herbert H. lives in Royalton; Stephen Eugene, of Royalton, married Ina DISBROW and has one child, Clare (Note: s.b. Clair Leroy HINKLE) ; Homer B. married Emma MALLENDICK (deceased) and he lives with his parents.
Mr. HINKLE supplemented his education in common school at the Toledo High School and at Maumee. His wife attended Maumee Seminary. In politics he is a republican, and he has served as a councilman in Lyons. The family belongs to the Universalist Church, and Mr. HINKLE has served as trustee for many years. The organization of the Universalist Church of Lyons was completed by Rev. Samuel BINNS in 1867 with thirty-four charter members. A church was built and dedicated in October, 1868. In the year 1904, under the pastorate of Rev. G. H. ASHWORTH, this church was remodeled with beautiful memorial windows. Mr. HINKLE is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows No. 622 of Lyons, and he has passed all the chairs. Mr. and Mrs. HINKLE are Rebekahs.
It is evident from what has been said above that one of the most useful members of the pioneer HINKLE family has been Stephen Edgar. While due recognition is given to the work and influence of his father and grandfather in the county. Mr. HINKLE has exercised a great energy of his own, and has built both wisely and well on the foundation which was prepared for his own career. Farming, town building and public spirit in all his relations have been prominent features in his life, and his activities and character deserve the memory of the future.
Back to The Lyons, Ohio Index Page.
Below are links to other sets of web pages that I have posted.
Early Schools of FULTON County, Ohio
TOWNSHIP PLATT Maps - 1858 Fulton County, Ohio
HAUGHTON Cemetery History & Tombstone Inscriptions; Lucas Co., Toledo, Ohio
BITTIKOFER Family History
MCCONNELL Family History
Jacob MISER Family History
Paul & Valleda MIZER Family Photos
Samuel WIGGINS Family History
BEULAH United Methodist Church
METAMORA, Ohio United Methodist Church
Buzz Boy's GEORGIA TECH Links
Lyons Ohio History
This page was last updated August 2, 2000
Web page by Charles Paul Keller
Renovated October 25, 2000
Click here to send me an email with your comments, Corpmiz@aol.com
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids