The Hopkins Family - Fulton County, Ohio
William and Mary Hopkins
Uncle Clayton's parents
(Mary M. HUTCHINSON, 1837-1925) (William E. HOPKINS, 1836-1928)
William & Mary are buried in the Dutch Ridge Cemetery,
Fulton Township, Fulton County, Ohio.
(Photo from Encil Mizer album; n101)
Ancestors of William Elijah HOPKINS
Photos & Descendants Book of William HOPKINS
William Hopkins Family Census Records
Photo of James & Ida (Hopkins) Phillips family.
Hanna (HUTCHINSON) PERCIVAL, mother of Mary M. (PERCIVAL) HOPKINS
Clayton P. HOPKINS & Julia Ann MIZER
Wedding Photos October 8, 1890
Clayton, Opal & Julia HOPKINS
Opal, Clayton & Julia HOPKINS
Florence 'Opal' (HOPKINS) SCHOMP (1892 - 1987) &
'Cora' Suzanne (GARDINIER) MIZER (1882 - 1978)
50th Wedding Anniversary, October 8, 1940
Clayton & Julia (MISER) HOPKINS
Julia Ann Hopkins, daughter of Jacob and Delilah Mizer, was born in Fulton county, Ohio, Jan. 28, 1872 and died April 20, 1951, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Harlow Schomp, in Ogden township, Lenawee county, Mich. She had been in failing health for several years, having been confined to her bed for nearly two years, where loving hands did all they could to minister to her every need. She was 79 years, two months and 22 days old.
October 8, 1890, she married Rev. Clayton P. Hopkins of Delta, Ohio and together they walked the pathway of life for nearly 53 years. 42 years of which were spent in faithful ministry for the Lord Jesus Christ. A consistent, victorious Christian character she made an ideal minister's wife, able to assume her responsibility with Christian grace whether in the parsonage as gracious hostess or in the work of the church by her husband's side. Mr. and Mrs. Hopkins were familiar figures especially in this community where so many of their years of faithful service centered and the Ogden Community church.
Mr. Hopkins preceded her in death eight years ago April 12. She was also preceded in death by three daughters, four brothers and five sisters. Surviving is the daughter, Mrs Florence Opal Schomp, who so lovingly cared for her these last years, and one sister, Mrs Leila Ohlinger and one brother, Mr. R. D. Mizer, both of Delta, Ohio.
A faithful pastor's wife, a kind and loving Mother, an ever helpful friend, who too has heard the summons, "Well done" and has laid aside the cross to receive the crown.
We wish to thank our relatives, neighbors for the many acts of kindness, messages of sympathy and beautiful flowers received during the sickness and death of our Mother. Also we wish to thank Rev. Fisher and Rev. Guthrie for their comforting words and Rev. Wilmer Miller for the beautiful songs.
Mr. and Mrs. Harlow Schomp. (Opal Hopkins)
Julia was a Granddaughter of John Myser (1815-1893) & Julia A Lethero and a Granddaughter of John C. Schrock (1804-1877) & Mary A. Legams (1820-1902). Julia was buried in the Dutch Ridge Cemetery, Fulton Township, Fulton County, Ohio next to her husband, Clayton P. Hopkins.
Obituary, Clayton P. Hopkins, 1864 - 1943
Ogden Twp, Lenawee County, Mich
U. B. MINISTER DIES AT HIS HOME SUDDENLY
Rev. Clayton P. Hopkins died suddenly at his home near Ogden Station, Mich., where he had been pastor of the Community church for a number of years. Rev. Hopkins had conducted services in his church Sunday and appeared to be in his usual health. Early Monday morning he was stricken and passed away at 5 a.m. in that morning.
For 42 years Rev. Hopkins had held United Brethren pastorates. During his work in the ministry he resided in Wauseon and pastor of the United Brethren church here at that time and at the North Dover United Brethren church. Nearly all of his pastorates were in northern Ohio and southern Michigan. He was a devoted worker in the Christian faith and lived true to that faith and his preachings.
Rev. Hopkins was 78 years of age. He spent his boyhood days on his father's farm in Amboy Township. He was desirous of obtaining a higher education and through his own efforts he attended Old Fayette Normal in the '80's and prepared himself for the profession of teaching. After fourteen years of successful teaching in the public schools of Fulton county he entered the Theological Seminary and completed the course. He devoted the rest of his life working with young and old people building Christian faith and character and a better society through the church organization of his choosing.
Rev. Hopkins appreciated the old Fayette Normal and his schoolmates of those early years. He enjoyed attending the annual reunion of those students at Fayette, and the reunion of the students of the classes of Prof. Richardson and Prof. Ward in Toledo. He was president at the reunion in Toledo last summer.
He is survived by his wife, Julia, and his daughter, Mrs. Harlow Schomp, Jasper, Mich.
The funeral services will be held at 3:30 o'clock this Thursday afternoon at the church of his boyhood days, Mt. Pleasant U. B. church in Pike township.
(Clayton was born in May, 1864 and died April 12, 1943. He was buried in Dutch Ridge Cemetery, Fulton Township, Fulton County, Ohio.)
Three descriptions of Ogden & Ogden Station:
A station on the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railroad, the settlement was named after its township, then given a post office on November 24, 1874. Russell B. French was appointed its first postmaster. The office operated until July 30, 1932. It was also known as Carpenter.
The first settler in the area was Moses Valentine, from New York State, who built his home in 1826, but the township was not organized until 1837. The town was named from its location in Ogden Township. James Robertson became its first postmaster on December 29, 1869, and the office operated until January 2, 1907. Still shown on the Mapbook of Michigan Counties, TwoPeninsula Press, publishing unit of Michigan Natural Resources Magazine, 1984.
The railroad came through, but it was some three miles from the village of Ogden Center, so the settlement around the depot took the name Ogden Station, but naming it Ogden after its township. Still shown on the Mapbook of Michigan Counties, TwoPeninsula Press, publishing unit of Michigan Natural Resources Magazine, 1984.
Ogden Center is about 7 miles north of the Ohio border (Fulton County), and about ten miles east of Monroe County, MI. On today's map, it appears to be a small town. Although your ancestor had not yet arrived in Michigan, the northern part of Fulton County, OH, was part of Michigan until about 1837.
Below are links to web sites that I have posted.
Gateway To My Web Sites
INFORMATION WEB SITES:
CIVIL WAR - 80th Ohio Volunteer Infantry
EARLY SCHOOLS of FULTON County, Ohio
FAYETTE, Ohio Normal College
HONOLULU Star-Bulletin, Dec. 7, 1941
LENAWEE HISTORICAL SOCIETY MUSEUM
LYONS, Ohio History & Photos
LUCAS County Vital Records
OBITUARIES - Fulton County, Ohio
TOWNSHIP PLAT Maps - 1858 Fulton County, Ohio
TOWNSHIPS PLAT Maps - Lenawee County, Mich
HAUGHTON Cemetery History & Tombstone Inscriptions; Lucas Co., Toledo, Ohio
SURNAME WEB SITES:
BITTIKOFER Family History
CARTER Family of N.W. Ohio
ELLIS family West Virginia
GARDINIER Family History
HAUGHTON Family of N.W. Ohio
HOPKINS Family N.W. Ohio
KIRKMAN Family N. W. Ohio
KELLER Family of N.W. Ohio
LEININGER Family of N.W. Ohio
MCCONNELL Family History
MEISSER Genealogy Association
Jacob MISER Family History
Encil MIZER Family History
Paul & Valleda MIZER Family Photos
SNYDER Family N.W. Ohio
Samuel WIGGINS Family History
CHURCHES & OTHER:
BEULAH United Methodist Church
God's Little Yellow Pages
METAMORA, Ohio United Methodist Church
Links to other Fulton County Web sites: Not mine :-)
Delta, Ohio - Welcome to Delta, Ohio
First Unitarian Universalist Church
Wauseon Ohio News & Information
Wauseon Chamber of Commerce
SWANTON AREA SCHOOLS
Evergreen Local Schools
Archbold Community Library
Delta Public Library
Fayette Public Library
Swanton Public Library
Wauseon Public Library
Butterflies by Judith Bronte, Acacia Victorian
Send mail to: email@example.com
Visit her Gallery: http://clipart.pair.com
Copyright 2001 - 2010
Web page by Charles Paul Keller
Click here to send me an email with your comments, Corpmiz@aol.com