Early Records of the Arnold Family.
pp 427-428 New England Historical & Genealogical Society Register vol 33 – October 1879
EARLY RECORDS OF THE ARNOLD FAMILY.
Communicated by EDWIN HUBBARD, Esq., of Chicago, Ill.
THE following copy of early Arnold records, received from Canada by the Hon. Isaac N. Arnold, president of the Chicago Historical Society, was made by me in May, 1878. The volume from which I copy is a small quarto of sixteen pages of English paper, unruled, faded, and worn. The original,* of which this appears to be a copy, seems to have been written by four different persons. If I were to attempt to assign the authorship to the several writers, it would be, first, from the beginning to the second or third paragraph of page 4 of the quarto volume (the pages of which are given in brackets in the middle of the page), to William Arnold, born June 24, 1587; second, thence to the second paragraph of page 9, to Gov. Benedict Arnold, born Dec. 21, 1615, died 1678; third, thence to the end of page 12, to Josiah Arnold , Sen., born Dec. 22, 1646; fourth, thence to the close, to Josiah Arnold, Jr., born Aug. 25, 1707. The quarto volume from which I copy is probably in the handwriting of the last named Josiah. The record extends one generation farther back than is given by Mr. Savage or any of the authorities referred to by him; and, besides giving the names of the English port from which William Arnold sailed for New England, and the precise date of his sailing, it mentions other dates and localities not previously met with by me. The records of the four writers are all in the first person. If the authenticity of the document and copy be admitted, we have the unusual instance of a personal record of a distinguished family for six generations, extending over a period of two hundred and twenty three years, from A.D. 1553 to 1776.
I have appended a genealogy of one line of this family, giving the ancestry of Mr. Arnold, through whose courtesy I have copied the old record.
A Register, or true account of my owne agge, with my Mother, my Wife, my Brothers and Sisters, and Others of my frinds and acquantance.
1. Imprimis Alce Gully the Daughter of John Gully of Northouer. Who was my Mother. Was Baptized ye 29:Septem 1553.
2. Tamzen, my Sister was Baptized the 4 of Jany. 1571.
3. Joanne Arnold, my Sister was Baptized the 30 of November in the year 1577.
4. Margery Arnold, my Sister, was Baptized the 30 of August, 1581.
5. I William Arnold, their Brother was borne the 24 of June 1587.
6. Robert Arnold, my Brother was Baptized the 18th of October, 1593.
7. Elizabth Arnold my Sister was borne the 9 of April, 1596.
* Query. Is this original document still in existence? - ED.
[ 2 ]
8. Thomas Arnold my Brother, my Mother in lawes Sonne, was Baptized the 18 April, 1599.
9. Eleanor Arnold, my Sister was Baptized the 31 of July, 1603.
The age of my Sister Tamzens Children.
1. Robert Hacker was Baptized the 22 of Jany. 1597.
2. Francis Hacker was Baptized the 24 of Jany. 1599.
3. John Hacker their brother was Baptized the 25 of October, 1601.
4. William Hacker was Baptized the 31 of October, 1604.
5. Alec Hacker was Baptized the 25 of August, 1607.
6. Mary Hacker was Baptized the 4th of March, 1609.
7. Thomas Hacker was Baptized 7th of April, 1616.
[ 3 ]
1. Christian, the Daughter of Thomas Peak of Muoheny* my wife was Baptized the 15 of February, 1583
2. Elizabeth Arnold our Daughter was borne the 23 of November, 1611.
3. Benedict Arnold her Brother was borne the 21 of December, 1615.
4. Joane Arnold their Sister was borne the 27 of Febry, 1617.
5. Steven Arnold their Brother was borne the 22 of December, 1622.
The age of my Sister Joane's Children.
1. Frances Hopkins was Baptized the 28 May, 1614.
2. Thomas Hopkins her Brother was Baptized 7 of Aprill, 1616.
3. Elizabeth Hopkins was Baptized the 30 of July, 1619.
The age of some of my Brother Thomas Children.
1. Thomas his son was born the 3 of May, 1625.
[ 4 ]
2. Nicholas Arnold was Baptized the 15 of January, l627.
1. Tamzen Holman was Baptized the 16 of Decr, 1619
2. Mary the Daughter of Julian Kidgill was Baptized 24 July, 1627.
Jeremiah Rhodes the Son of Zachary Rhodes was borne at Pautuxet the 29 of ye 4 month commonly called June in Ano. Dom. 1647.
Memorandum. We came from Providence with our family to Dwell at Newport in Rhode Island the 19th of November, Thursday in afternoon, & arived ye same night Ano. Domina 1651.
Memorandum my father and his family sett sayle ffrom Dartmouth in Old England, the first of May, Friday &. Arrived In New England. June 24 Ano 1635.
Mem-. We came to Providence to Dwell the 20th of April, 1636.
per me Benedict Arnold.
The full series of 1879 articles goes on to page 438 with the descent from Ynir as presented elsewhere.