The North Carolina Keefes
The surname Keefe/Keeffe may have been brought over to North
Carolina about 1700 with a small
group of Irish that settled the Albemarle area of North Carolina just after the Williamite
The Keefes of North Carolina may or may not be related to the Keefes
of South Carolina. An early colonial settler named Treddell Keefe could have been
the progenitor for Keefe/Keeffes who were found on both sides of the Carolina border;
however, thus far the link between the two families is only circumstantial.
Here I will outline the information which I have found on the Keefe family members
of North Carolina listing mainly the earliest records:
- Treddell Keefe (abstracted incorrectly in his 1723 Will record as Frederick)
was found in the Albemarle Sound area of North Carolina, which became Bertie County. The earliest record I have found for him is 1706. He was a large land owning planter, and also a weaver by trade. He left a Bertie County will in 1723 which listed
his wife Elinor and two sons John Keefe and Treddell Keefe, Jr. Two females named
Elizabeth and Margrett Keefe are also listed on this will as witnesses. Treddell Keefe
might have descendants who eventually migrated to Tennessee.
- John Keefe and William Keefe are listed on the same page of a
tax list for Bertie County, NC in 1757
- John Keefe's estate is listed in 1759 Bertie County, NC. His estate
sale was at the home of Mary Baker. (This Mary Baker probably being his daughter
- Lydia Keefe married James Thigpen of Edgecombe County, NC about
- John Kieff was listed as a witness on a 1761 Johnston County deed, and during the same time period William Keeff is listed at a Johnston County funeral as a Chamber Bearer.
- Edmund Keefe is listed in the 1790 North Carolina Census for Craven
County (Newbern District) with 2 males and 3 females in his household. (Edmund's
wife may have been Sarah)
- Patrick Keef is listed in 1800 North Carolina census - Edgecombe
County, as head of household. This same Patrick Keef died in
1809 with his wife, Mary, as the executor of his will.
- John Keeffe is listed in the 1810 Montgomery, NC census
Note: I am interested in learning more about these Keefe cousins in North Carolina.
If you would like to share any information to add to this site, please use my email
on the Main Page.
TO MAIN PAGE
[an error occurred while processing this directive]