Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Our connection to The CARBERRY'S


BLAZON,
PER FESS OR,
AN ELEPHANT PROPER,ARGENT.

CREST
A BLACKBIRD BETWEEN TWO PALM TREES VERT.

MOTTO
IN ACCORD AND CONCORD.

(Mac) Carbery, (O) Carbery - The principal sept of O Cairbre belong to Co. Westmeath where they were chiefs in the barony of Clonlonan. They remained there in a leading position up to the end of the seventeenth century. Hugh Carbery of Ballymore, Co. Westmeath, was outlawed for his activities on the side of James 11, in whose army another of the family was an officer. At that period, however, the name Carbery was much more numerous in Co. Waterford, it is probable that the people there so called were of different stock and in Irish they were Mac Cairbre not O Cairbre: the existence of the place Ballymac-arbry in co. Waterford corroborates this. In fact MacCarbery occurs more often in the earlier records thanCarbery, but such references relate to places so widely scattered as to be of little use as a guide to location. For example the four Masters mention. Inter alios, Dermot MacCarbry, an Ultonian harper in 1490: while Eneas MacCarbery of the Clogher diocese appears in Archbishop Swain's Register in 1427 both as Mac and O. In the next century the Fiants record many MacCarberys in Counties Monahan and Longford as well as in the parts of the country in which we would expect to find them. In the Faints the O'Carberys, much fewer in number, are all in the midland area around Co. Westmeath: but in 1659 some families were found in Co. Armagh. Finally it should be mentioned that a Norman family deriving its name from the place Carbery* appears in early records, e.g. as a tenant of the manor of Cloncurry, Co. Kildare, in 1304.
At the present time the name is a scattered one, but it is safe to say that it is found most often in Dublin, North Leinster and South Ulster and seldom in Connacht.

Taken from "The Murrumbidgee Carberry's" which was complied by Pat Carberry, June Clarke, Ann Quinlan and Marie Quinlan, published in 1988 after their Family Reunion at GUNDAGAI.


"Where We Fit"

The Carberry's come into our family thru my husband, Thomas Frederick O'Reilly. His mother Cecily (Joan) Carberry, was the seventh child of Frederick Carberry and Mary Tetley.
Frederick's parents were John Carberry and Julia Falvey. John being the 3rd son of Nicholas Carberry and Bridget Gerrahty, our CARBERRY first settlers in Australia.

Nicholas Carberry, the son of Michael was born in 1789 in Omagh, County Tyrone, Northern Ireland. When he was 23 (1812) he was sentenced to life in Botany Bay and transported on the Ship the "Three Bees". This ship sailed from Falmouth on the 8th December 1813, with 219 male prisoners. After a journey of 149 days it reached NSW with a loss of 9 souls. It arrived at Port Jackson on the 6th May 1914.
On arrival Nicholas was assigned to Dr. William Redfern as a clerk and government servant at his property in Liverpool. In 1817 he petitioned the Government for mitigation of his sentence and was granted his "ticket of leave". He was granted a conditional pardon in 1833 by Governor Bourke.
It was while in the employ of Dr. D'Arcy Wentworth of Liverpool that he met Miss Bridget Gerraghty from Elphin in Ireland, also a convict. Bridget arrived in the colonies on the 18th December 1821, transported on the "John Bull ". Nicholas and Bridget married in 1824. They had 6 sons.

Thomas 1825
Michael 1826
John 1828
Joseph 1833
Nicholas 1836
William 1842

Thomas, Michael and John were all born while Nicholas was working for Wentworth in the Liverpool area. After leaving Wentworth's employ the family prospered and in 1833 Nicholas purchased a hotel in Appin which he named "Union Revived". Catholic mass was said there before the Church was built, and Nicholas was a founding member of the Catholic Institute at Appin. He purchased 640 acres of land in nearby Camden. In 1838 Nicholas with James Crowe also had a property on the banks of the Murrumbidgee of 660 acres which was to become the foundation of both their pastorial empires. While Nicholas ran the hotel, Thomas and Michael with James Crowe worked at Gobarralong. They built the stone house that stood on the western side of the river which was to become the family's home from 1846.

Nicholas died in 1867 at the age of 78. Having come to this country as a convict he worked for his freedom and with faith and courage became a respected member of his new country. A true Pioneer.


A list of cemetery headstones were transcribed by S & M Grieves over many months for the benefit of family researchers, particularly those who are unable to visit New South Wales. You can find many Carberry, Luff and Crowe names on their site here


Please continue reading below while these photo's load

Ruins of the "Limestone Inn" built by Joseph and Roseannah CARBERRY 1857-8.
Taken at the Dog on the Tucker Box, Pioneer Monument,"5 miles from Gundagai", NSW AUS


Another View


Another View


The park gates at GUNDAGAI in NSW AUS



On pages 200 & 201 of "The Convict Ships 1787 - 1868" this account of the arrival of The Three Bees can be found.

Three months after the General Hewart's arrival the Three Bees anchored in Port Jackson. There had been only nine deaths among her male prisoners, but no fewer that 55 of the survivors required hospital treatment, the majority for scurvy.

The Three Bees, a first class ship of 459 tons, built at Bridgewater in 1813, had embarked her first convicts at the Canal Docks, Dublin, on August 26, 1813 and had completed her complement at Cork, where she had anchored on September 22. The weather had been sultry and at night the closely crowded prison had been suffocating. The embarkation of the prisoners at Cork had not been completed until October 2, and it was the 27th before she had sailed for Falmouth to pick up a convoy. The weather when she had arrived had been exceedingly cold, the reverse of what it had been at Cork. She had been detained five weeks at Falmouth and the prisoners had suffered severely.

Yet such was the hardihood of the Irish convicts that despite the sudden extremes of temperature, and the fact that some of them had been confined aboard for three months, there were few sick when the Three Bees eventually sailed on December 8. She ran into stormy weather, and the convicts could not always be admitted to the deck. The prison, however, was cleaned and fumigated regularly. At Rio the weather was very hot, but the prisoners were admitted freely to the deck, the temperature in the prisons falling six or eight degrees when all had left it. One man died of fever, but there was no hint that the voyage was to be an unhealthy one, and when she sailed on February 17, the number of sick was small.

On February 27, however, a strange sail was sighted. Believing her to be an enemy, orders were issued for the convicts bedding to be brought on deck and made into a barricade. It remained on deck throughout the night and was drenched by heavy rain. Efforts to dry it failed, and it was returned to the prison, the convicts being warned not to use it. However, they disregarded this injunction, and scurvy broke out, causing seven of the nine deaths. It was fortunate that the Three Bees made a passage of 149 days from Falmouth, as had she made a longer passage there is little doubt that other deaths would have taken place. Many of the convicts who required hospital treatment were very badly affected by scurvy.

Fourteen days after her arrival, on May 20, the Three Bees caught fire at her anchorage near the Government Wharf in Sydney Cove. An Officer, accompanied by a boy carrying a candle and langhorne, had entered the after hold during the morning, and presumably the boy had dropped and unextinguished candle snuff among some oakum or other combustible material - a frequent cause of fire the days of sail. Nothing was noticed at the time, and it was not until about 4.30pm that it was realised the ship was on fire. As columns of suffocating black smoke spiralled into the air, there was almost a panic among the residents of Sydney; for rumour magnified the thirty casks of powder aboard into 130.

The fire had a good hold when first discovered, and soon the standing rigging was ablaze and the flames were leaping to the masthead. The crew had no chance of fighting the flames, and the Three Bees was cast adrift and abandoned, it being thought that the southerly wind would carry her out into the open harbour. Vessels anchored nearby hurriedly weighed and moved to positions of greater safety, while ashore huge crowds gathered to watch the blazing vessel. The feelings of the spectators, no doubt, were faithfully expressed by the Sydney Gazette's reporter, who wrote: "A ship of nearly five hundred tons, set loose, it may almost be said, in the middle of a town, unmanageable, and pouring forth columns of smoke and fire, threatening desolation all around here, with her guns all loaded, first pointed upon one object and then upon another, and every instant expected, by her explosion, to throw down or cover with the dreadful blast all the buildings around or near her."

The first gun went off about 5.30pm, and the explosion of 13 others quickly followed. One swivel ball, entering the parlour window of the residence of the Naval Officer, Captain John Piper, smashed the corner off a portable writing desk, but did no other damage. Nobody was injured in this involuntary bombardment of Sydney, and there was little damage to property. By 7.30pm , the Three Bees had drifted on to the rocks at Bennelong Point, and 15 minutes later her magazine exploded. "It was not as awful as had been expected," stated the Gazette, with a hint of disappointment. The Three Bees blazed throughout the night, and by morning was a total wreck, burnt to the water's edge.

I will be happy to exchange information, on my Carberry's as above. Kaye


KayeMac Home Page

Clan MacMillan Australia