History of the Early Settlement of Newton, County of Middlesex, MA
The settlement of Newtown [Cambridge] began in 1631.
The Old East Parish Burying Ground is the resting place for all of the founding families of Newton. In 1654, families living south of the river started holding religious meetings locally rather than making the journey to Cambridge. John Jackson provided an acre of land for a burial ground and for a meeting house, and this remained the only burying site for residents of Newton until 1781. A monument was placed in memory of Newton's founders in 1852, erected by the descendants of the first settlers. At the time inscriptions were recorded, only six headstones from the earliest inhabitants were still standing. However, their memory lives on through their descendants.
The original acre was added to three times, and the cemetery was used continuously until near the end of the 1800s. The final addition to the burying ground was made in 1834. Family members dying in Newton after 1781 may be found here in the East Parish Burying Ground, in the West Parish Burying Ground (opening 1781), or in the South Parish Burying Ground (opening 1802).
JOHN KNAPP II and SARAH PARKE were married on 4 August 1686. SARAH PARKE, daughter of THOMAS PARKE and ABIGAIL DIX, was born on 21 January 1666 in Cambridge, Middlesex County, Massachusetts. She died on 19 December 1727 at the age of 61 in Newtown, Middlesex County, Massachusetts.
JOHN KNAPP II and SARAH PARKE had the following children:
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids