1. MARK HARDIN1,2 died on 1 May 1735 in Prince William County, Virginia.3
Questionable data re Mark Hardin:
Martin Hardwyn and wife Madeleine du Sauchoy had a baby son, Mark, baptized 26 Mar 1681 in Staten Island New York. Said to be named for his grandfather Marcus du Sauchoy, who was a sponsor. However, there is nothing definite to link this baby to the Mark Hardin who was in Northumberland Co VA in 1707.
From "Breckinridge County" article in Kentucky Genealogy & Bilogy, Volume 1, editor: T.W.Westerfield: Came to America after massacre of St. Bartholomew; forced to flee from France because of Huguenot principles. [Possibly more tradition than fact.]
According to information on the Spainhour home page his parentage usually given as Martin Hardewyn and Madeleine du Sauchoy is not proven but based on likelihood and circumstance. His baptismal date is for their son but no definite proof is found that this baby was the Mark Hardin later found in Virginia. Other contemporary researchers concur that there is not proof.
The records of Mark Hardin follow.
Virginia Colonial Abstracts; Beverly Fleet; Vol of 3 Vol - originally 34 Vol. Reprint Genealogical Pub Co. Inc.; Baltimore; 1988
Northumbria Collectanea, 1645-1720 p.497f; from Order & Record books
Cumins, Alexr er als. Deed 7 Apr 1707 Alexander Cumming & Sarah hs wife, Henry Robinson & Mary his wife, Henry Bryan & Elizabeth his wife. All of Wicco parish sell to Mark Harding of same, for 5000# tobo, 50 acres.
Robert Burrell late of N. Co. dec'd sold on 6 Dec 1699 to Valentine Munslow & Paul Littlefield, a neck of land in sd par, adj land where Burrell lived, which Muslow sold 11 Feb 1678/9 to Paul Littlefield who assigned it on 19th of sd Feb to Jno Lyinum/Lenham/Lynum who with his wife Jane, the 9th Feb 1685/6 sold it to John Multon or Muttoone, late of N Co dec'd and the sd John died without will and no male heirs, the land descended to his daughters Sarah Cumings, Mary Robinson, and Elizabeth Bryan. The land adj that of Tho Berry & Patience his wife. Signed by 6 parties. Wit: Timothy Higgins, John Champion.
Harding, Mark of Wicco parish, carpenter. He re-records deed 20 Jun 1711 17.116
[Mark and his wife Mary are said to have sold this land on Nov 14, 1720 and she released her dower rights.]
Mark Harden. His runaway servant ret'd by Wm Barnes of Maryland 2 Sep 1715 6.135
Northern Neck Grants 5, 1713-1719, #93, p.162
Mark Harding, 94 acres in Richmond Co, 3 Dec 1716
Mark Harding of Northumberland Co. Grant for 94 acres in Richmond Co surveyed by William Thornton near the great Marsh commonly called Rappahannock Marsh. Begin West side of a swamp in Wm. Russell's line ...James Haggard's line. Haggard's corner, Russell's corner, along Russell's line.
Northern Neck Grants 5, #153, p.271
Mark Harding, 122 1/2 acres, Hanover Parish, Richmond Co, 4 Jun 1716
Mark Harding of Northumberland. Warrant issued 3 Dec 1716 and surveyed by Capt. Edward Barrow [There is a descrepancy in the dates of issue of the warrant and the grant itself. One must be an error. The grant can only be issued after the warrant has been issued for the survey and the suvey completed.] Tract on the northward most Marsh, Jeffrey Johson's land, Charles Emmons corner.
Small survey sketches have survived for both these tracts. The Rappahannock River still is in the county of King George which was formed from Richmond. The first sketch does show the land bordering a wide stream.
Virginia Co Court Records
Order Book Abstracts of King George Co VA 1721-1723
Ruth & Sam Sparacio 1992
p.81 5 Apr 1723
James Canon brought before the court by Warrant under hands of Wm Thornton, Gent one of his Majesties Justices of the Peace for this County and arrested for Stealing a Wolfes Head out of a trap belonging to Mark Hardin in Spotsylvania Co. Upon examination of evidence doth order that he be discharged, paying fees, etc.
Mar 4 1722/23, Mark Hardin received a Virginia patent of 642 acres in Stafford Co VA, now stating his residency as King George County. [King George formed from Richmond Co 1721.] The warrant was issued 3 Jul "last" [presumably 1722] and surveyed by Capt. Thomas Hooper on 15 Dec. The tract was on the Northwest branches of Elk Run, Muddy Hole branch, adjacent Joshua Butler. Northern Neck Grant Book A, p.12.
Another patent issed three days later to John Windwright of Stafford Co was for 295 acres as the assignee of Mark Harding of King George Co. The warrent had issued on 10 Dec and Hooper had also surveyed this tract. The land was on a branch of Elk Run called Muddy Hole branch. NN Grant Book A, p.16
VIRGINIA'S COLONIAL SOLDIERS; Lloyd DeWitt Bockstruck, 1988, Genealogy Publishing Co., 3rd Printing 1998.
p.20 County Militia Rosters King George County
6 Nov 1724 Mark Hardin, M. C. [military commission]
The formation of these counties mentioned above:
Northumberland formed in 1645.
Westmoreland Co formed 1653 from Northumberland.
Stafford formed 1664 from Westmoreland.
King George Co formed 1721 from Richmond & Westmoreland
Prince William formed 1730 from King George Co and Stafford Co.
Fauquier formed 1759 from Prince William Co.
Another Northern Neck patent was issued to Mark Harding on 31 Jul 1724 in King George Co. The warrant had issued 13 Mar last [presumably earlier in 1724] and was surveyed by John Savage on 20 Apr. This tract was 232 acres on the East side of a Run called Dutchman's; and joined the land of Alexander Beach, Joshua Butler, and Benjamin Berryman, and Harding's own land. NN Grant A, p.56
The day before, on 30 Jul 1724, Alexander Clemment had received a patent in Stafford Co for 354 on the North side of Elk Run, adjoining the line of Mark Harding, Danl Feagins line, and the meanders of Elk Run. NN Grant A, p.55
[One of the streams within the present boundaries of Fauquier Co has been called Horsepen Run, Marrs Run, and Dutchman's Run - it drains into Marsh Run, then the Rappahannock. This area is in the Southern tip of the county. Elk Run, however, is a bit further East, draining in the other direction toward the Occaquan River.]
Mark Hardin was apparently still buying land in King George Co near his earlier patents, although he had made purchases on Elk Run in Stafford Co. Looking up patents for Alexander Beach, Joshua Butler, and Benjamin Berryman named in Hardin's patent dated 31 Jul 1724, I discovered that they had patents in the area of the great Marsh. Beach's patent dated 15 Dec 1719 for 400 acres names the Marsh Run formerly known as Horsepen run but now called Marrs Run; his boundaries adjoined those of his own land, Charles Morgan, Morgan Darnelle, Edward Price, Alexander Scott, Mark Harding and William Russell. Butler's patent of 29 Jul 1715, mentioned the Marsh, Charles Emmons, Horsepen run, and William Russell. Berryman's patent of 5 Mar 1717, began near the Marsh on the upper side of Jeffrey Johnson.
Land Records of King George Co VA 1721-1743
Sue Ann Damron, Willow Bend Books, 1999
p.5 Bk 1: 31 Deed of L&R Alexander Beach, Hanover Parish, to Charles Morgan. 150a bounded by lands of Edward Price, Morgan Darnall, Alexander Scot, Mark Harden. 2 Nov 1721
p.35 Bk 1:309 Deed of L&R 27 Aug 1725 Alxdr Beach of Stafford to Timothy Reading of King George. 456a upon the road branch of the run issuing out of the side of Marsh Run. Bounded by Alexander Beach, Charles Morgan, Morgan Darnall, Edward Price,, Alxdr Scott, Mark Harding, & Wm Russell
p.46 Bk 1: 362 Deeds of Lease & Release 16 & 17 Jun 1726 Mark Hardin of Hanover Parish planter to Richard Buckner of Essex Co and Wm Strother & Thomas Turner, both of King George. 92a whereon the sd Mark Hardin dwells. Signed: Mark Hardin
Wit: Archibald McPherson, Wm Brent, Eliz. Stidston, Jean Bowers. Rec. 1 Jul 1726
Bk 1: 363 For Two Negro slaves & two white servants each to have five years to serve, for 92A where Mark Hardin now dwelleth. Mary, wife of Mark, relinq dower & thirds through attorney Charles Seale. REc. 1 Jul 1726
Bk 1: 365 Bond 17 Jun 1726 Mark Hardin bound to Richard Buckner, William Strother & Thomas Turner in sum of 300# sterling. If agreements in indentures are observed, obligation to be void.
Bk1:366 P of A 17 Jun 1726. Mary Hardin, wife of Mark, authorizes Charles Seale to relinq her right of dower in land sold to Richard Buckner, Wm Strother & Thomas Turner. Wit: Timothy Reading, Wm Harkney. Rec. 1 Jul 1726
Bk 1: 366 Deed 17 Jun 1726 Richard Buckner, Wm Strother & Thomas Turner have purchased of Mark Hardin 92a. Mutially agree that they nor their heirs shall take any advantage of survivorship after the death of any of them. The heirs or assigns of either of them shall inherit & enjoy the right of property
p.48 Bk 1: 374 Deed of L&R 30 Jun 1726 Timothy Reading to Thomas Turner, 300a adj land whereon Mark Hardin dwells
p.51 Bk 1: 395 Surveys made by John Savage in King George Co from 1722 to Jun 1726 20 Apr 1724 for Mark Hardin, 230a join'g to Berrymans land, Beache's land, land of Joshua Butler, and the sd Hardin's land on a run called Dutchmans Run
28 Apr 1730 Deed from King George Co Thomas Riphley sold 259 acres to William McBee. 2000#'s of tobacco. All that tract of land taken up by Grace Riphley alias Butler, now wife of said Thomas Riphley, in the time of her widowhood, 14 Jul 1727. Land bounded by William Russell, Joshua Butler & Joseph King. Head of a savannah of Elk Run, Mark Hardins land. Wit: John Wright, Charles Morgan. Ack. 1 May 1730.
Mark Hardin's boundaries and neighbors were also mentioned when William McBee sold this tract a few months later.
Notice that this deed mentions William Russell, who was adjacent Mark Hardin in Richmond Co in 1716 and Joshua Butler, who was named as adjacent to Mark Hardin's patent of 642 acres in Stafford. Apparently Russell also owned land in both places. or this is all near the same location.
Prince William Co VA
Deed Book Liber A 1731-1732
Deed Book Liber B 1732-1735
Abstracted by June Whitehurst Johnson, 1982
Book B, p.173-175 14 Oct 1733 James McDonnel of Hamilton Parish, Pr Wm Co to Mark Hardin of Same. Deed of lease and release. 300a East side South Branch of Kettle Run adj Capt Thomas Barber, line of Wm McBee. Ack 23 Nov 1733
15 Oct 1733 2nd deed - McDonnell bound to Mark Hardin in the sum of 100£. Martha, wife of James McDonnell.. Charles Morgan & Thomas Welsh wit both.
Book B, p.176-179 2 Oct 1733 Mark Hardin of Hamilton Parish to James McDonell. 354 ½ on one of the Branches of the Marsh commonly known by name of Dutchman's Run as appears by separate deeds granted to Mark Hardin from the Proprietors Office. The first granted by Edward Jenning for 122 ½ a adj lands of Jeffery Johnson …to Charles Emmons's corner. The other tract granted by Robert Carter for 232 a bounds on lands of Alexander Beeches, line of Joshua Butler. Deeds of lease & release
Signed: Mark Hardin. Wit: Charles Morgan & Thomas Welsh
p.180 Mark Hardin bound to James McDonnell for 100£. Mary Hardin, wife of Mark. Wit. were the same
23 Nov 1733, Ack by Mark Hardin
Prince William Co VA
Deed Book Liber A 1731-1732
Deed Book Liber B 1732-1735
Abstracted by June Whitehurst Johnson, 1982
p.70 B.B, p.340-343 15 Mar 1734 Deed from Capt John William of King George Co to William Stevens of Pr Wm. Parish of Hamilton ….552 a. corner to Mark Hardings land
p.91 Bk. B, p.494-497 28 Jul 1735 James McDonald of Hamilton Parish to Thomas Turner of Hanover Parish, King George Co. Two tracts. On branch known by name of Dutchman's Run. 354 ½ a granted to Mark Harding…..
Deed Abstracts of Prince William Co VA 1740-41
Ruth & Sam Sparacio, 1989
p.52/p.289 Deed dated 21 & 23 Mar 1740 - Emmanuel Combee of Hamilton Parish and Margaret his wife to John Frogg. Parcel on branch of Marsh Run known by name of horse pen branch, land of Wm Russel, Joshua Butler & Joseph King, King's line to head of a savannah of Elk Run, NW to line of Mark Hardings, crossing a savannah & small ridge and another savannah by Mark Harding's Path…. Deed of L&R
Deed Abstracts of Prince William Co VA 1745-1746 and 1748-1749
Deed Books F, G, H, & K are missing
This is DB I and L.
Ruth & Sam Sparacio, 1989
p.5 DB I, p.22-26
21&22 Feb 1745 John Frogg to Thomas Turner. 200a - same description regarding Mark Harding land and path.
Northern Neck Warrants & Surveys Vol. III 1710-1780
Dunmore, Shenandoah, Culpeper, Prince William, Fauquier & Stafford Counties. Peggy Shomo Joyner
p.155 Danl. Feagin of Northumberland. 20 Jan 1723/24 - 20 Apr 1724. 411 acres NW branch Elk Run, adj. Mark Harding, John Windwright. Surv: John Savage
p.156 Alexander Flemins/Flemming 20 Jan 1723/24 - 21 Apr 1724 354 acres Elk Run adj Mark Harding, Danl. Feagin. Surv: John Savage
p.159 Mark Harding of King George Co. 2 wrts, 3 Jul & 10 Dec 1722. 642 acres. (1) W br Elk Run not to entrench on Brent town Grants (2) Muddy Hole br of Elk Run part of land suv by George Copedge. Survd: Thomas Hooper. Sold to John Winright 14 Dec 1722, day before survey for Harding.
p. 173 John Winwright, assignee of Mark Hardin. No wrt. Surv 10 Dec 1722 - 15 Dec 1722. 295a NW br of Elk Run. Surv: Thomas Hooper
Prince William County
p.95 Richard Buckner of Caroline Co. 12 Oct 1730 - 12 Apr 1731. 411 acres adj. Wm MacBee alias MacBoy, Joshua Butler, Mark Harding, Alexr. Clements, Dan'l Feagon [now Crump], Mr. Falkner, Jos. King. Surv: John Warner
p.124 William Reding. 18 Oct 1740 - 15 Nov 1740. 695 acres Hamilton Parish on Licking Run adj Joshua Butler, John Harding, Mark Hardin, John Holtzclaw, Sutton, Wainwright, John Ross, Mr. Burrell. Surv: Joseph Berry
The order of the births of the children of Mark & Mary is speculative and their birth years estimated.
Here are a few quotes from "Landmarks of Old Prince William County," by Fairfax Harrison, which concern Mark Hardin.
**While Lee's [Thomas Lee] grant carried the Virginia frontier to the first hills, the immediately significant occupation of the territory was that covered by more than fifty small grants on the upper waters of Marsh Run, recorded between 1710 and 1719, when the proprietary office again was closed for three years. The incidental recitals of the land books testify that by 1715, few as they may have been, some of these grantees already called Elk Marsh home. Among such proven pioneeer residents were William Russell and Mark Hardin, as well as those who gave their names to streams; John Brown and William Allen, on Brown's Branch; John Marr and John Hooper on Marr's Branch; and Jeffrey Johnson on Johnson's Branch.**
Author's note to above: His [Hardin's] grants of 1716 are [Northern Neck Grants] 5:93, 153. Others in 1723 (N.N., 4: 5, 56) 'on the west branches of Elk Run and on the head of Marr's (now Harper's) Run' included the future site of Hardin's Ordinary. [the 2nd Citation in the Northern Neck grants is incorrect - it's Book 5: p.271, not 153.]
Chapter - Old Roads and the Ordinaries: **Hardin's: After crossing Deep Run and so entering into old Prince William, Dalrymple passed Elk Run Church and, sixteen miles above 'Pickets' reached 'Hardings Ord.' [Note: Picketts Ordinary is known as the first public house on the Fredericksburg-Winchester road above Falmouth. It was originally in King George County, and a boundary change ca 1755, put it in lower Stafford.]
**In June 1716, Mark Hardin had the first of several land grants in the Elk Marsh settlement in what was then Richmond and later Fauquier. As we have shown, the recitals of other land grants indicate that he was living on Marsh Run in 1717 and so was one of the pioneer founders of Fauquier. In 1723 he appears further east 'on the branches of Elk Run.' [see note below] It was here that his son, Martin Hardin, established an ordinary on the 'Shenandoah Hunting Path' or Falmouth Road. The site as indicated by Dalrymple was 1-1/2 miles north of Elk Run Church; and, as all ordinaries were at crossroads, it seems probably that it was a Hardin's Ordinary that the original 'German Path,' leading to Germantown, left the Falmouth road; as did the earliest road leading to the Elk Marsh settlement. In 1741, Martin Hardin voted in Prince William, and on the organization of Fauquier in 1759, had license to keep ordinary 'at his house.' By a deed of 1774 Martin Hardin recited that he was then living in Augusta; and in 1802 his son, Mark Hardin, reciting his own residence in Washington County,Kentucky, conveyed Martin Hardin's lands on Elk Run to Joseph Blackwell. The subsequent records of the Blackwell family identify the site of Hardin's ordinary as that stage of the Winchester road where 'Blackwell's Coloured School' now stands as indicated on the Fauquier may of 1914.**
Booger, "Gleanings," p. 199: Fauquier Court Order Book, 1759. This is confirmed by a deed (Fauquier D.B. I:186) from William Eustace to 'Martin Hardin, Ordinary Keeper,' of certain lands on Elk run adjoining 'the said Hardin's.'
Mark resided in Prince William County VA when he executed his Will Mar 16, 1735; probated 21 May 1735. Left land to eldest son John - 232a in Prince Wm, part of patent of 642a, and also sons Martin [210a, part of 642a], Mark [200a, part of 642 & slave Sambo] & Henry [200a part of 300a bought of James McDoneill, Kettle Run, but if Martin, Mark or Henry die without issue to daughters Ann & Alice Hardin; 100 acres to dau Elizabeth [remainder of 300a bought of McDoneill];
2sh to each besides their land: Martha, John, Martin, Mark, Henry & Martha McDonhill; after wife's death remainder to be divided among 5 daughters Abigail, Mary, Ann, Elizabeth, & Alice. Wife Mary and sons John and Martin, executors. Will indicates that only Martha and perhaps John were married. (Martha married McDonald, perhaps James McDonald.)
Wit: Thomas (x) Simon, Daniel (x) Shumate, Judith (x) Shumate, Elizabeth (E) Roylte
21 May 1735 Presented in court by Mary Hardin & John Hardin, executors named. Proved by oaths of Thomas Simon & Danl Shumate.
The 642 acres was in the Elk Run district probably now in Fauquier Co although it's possible some of it could have extended into Prince William Co. Kettle Run does lie in both Fauquier and Prince William Co, only a short distance away.
I find it interesting that there was a Henry Harding, taking up grants in Stafford Co at the same time Mark Harding was doing so in Richmond Co. No relationship is known, but the two locations are not so far apart. And the name Henry is found in descendants of Mark. Henry Harding received two grants on Acquia [Aquia today] Creek, which still lies within the bounds of Stafford Co. The first was for 564 acres granted on 4 Feb 1714/15, Northern Neck Grant Book 5, #60, p.102. and the second was for 978 acres, same location and neighbors, possibly a re-granting of the first with additional acres, dated 20 May 1725, VA Patent Book A, p.155. A Northern Neck grant to Valentine Peyton on 15 Nov 1715 also mentions 480 acres surveyed for Henry Harding on the south side of Broad Run of the Onaquan [Occoquan] River. Elk Run is also a tributary of the Occoquan and this land likely located in what is now Prince William Co.
MARK HARDIN and MARY ?HOGUE were married about 1709. MARY ?HOGUE4, daughter of WILLIAM HOGE and BARBARA HUME, died before March 1755 in Prince William County, Virginia.3
To date there is no proof that Mary Hogue was the wife of Mark Hardin - see papers copied from Spainhour home page. There are about three different ladies said to be the wife of Mark Hardin.
MARK HARDIN and MARY ?HOGUE had the following children: