22. Benajah GENTRY5 was born in 1733 in Hanover County, Virginia.5 He died in 1830 at the age of 97.5
Benajah was married first to ?Elizabeth [Leah?] Austin and second to Ann Jones. The Brown families that lived near the Gentrys used the name Benajah.
Will was proved January 1831, Albemarle Co VA.
Journal of Gentry Genealogy, Vol 1, Issue 9, Sep 2001.
GFA gives the date of 1733 for the birth of Benajah, based on his age at the time of his death. There does not seem to be any reason to question this. Benajah and Robert were the first of the family to move from Louisa County to Albemarle, Robert apparently several years ahead of Benajah. The latter bought land near Robert in 1764(21) on Biscuit Run near present day Charlottesville. GFA briefly describes Benajah thus: "He was a successful planter and had a number of negro slaves. He was a leading member of the Baptist church and was very active in religious work. In 1817, he transferred all his property to his son Robert, although Benajah did not die until 1831 at the age of 98. His will was proved in Albemarle Co. in January 1831, and named 8 of his children as legatees. His daughter Kate, married Benajah's nephew, John P. Gentry, son of Moses-III." Benajah's name occurs frequently in Albemarle County records in orders for the development and maintenance of roads and as a witness to deeds or as being an adjoining land owner.
The will of Benejah Gentry was probated in Albemarle County on 3 January 1831 . It names as legatees his children Robert, Fannie, John, William, Thomas, Katy, Jane Fulture, and Sarah Hardin. His executors were William Dunkum, James and Robert Gentry, his sons.
Benajah married twice, his first wife was Elizabeth(?) Austin, his second was Ann Jones whom he married in about 1780. His children by his first wife were Mary, Elizabeth, Sally, Annie, Jane, and William. His children by his second wife were Thomas, James, Robert, John, Katherine (Kate), Patsey Frances, and Susan. William and Thomas moved Dickson County, Tennessee while James settled in Monroe County, Kentucky. Robert and John were the only ones of the sons to remain in Virginia.
1. Mary Gentry; married Jeremiah Cleveland, brother of Colonel Benjamin Cleveland - a hero of the Battle of King's Mountain who was terror to the North Carolina Tories during the Revolution; died in 1846 in Albemarle County. Children included: Benejah Cleveland, William Cleveland, Martha Cleveland, Sara Cleveland, Elizabeth Cleveland, and Ann Cleveland.
2. Elizabeth Gentry married William Goodwin.
3. Annie Gentry married Benjamin Sowell.
4. Sallie Gentry married George Hardin.
5. Jane Gentry married Thomas Fulture and settled in Kentucky .
6. William Gentry, born 24 January 1780 in Louisa County , Virginia ; married Lucy Carr; moved to Dickson County , Tennessee ; died there on 28 February 1840 . Ancestor - see later.
7. Thomas Gentry, born 4 April 1782 in Albemarle County; married in Albemarle County on 12 December 1804 to Anna Carr, daughter of Gideon Carr and Ann Sandridge; moved to Dickson County, Tennessee in 1805; died there on 1 February 1849; buried in the Stuart Cemetery. His will is dated 1 March 1847 and filed in Dickson County , page 172, No, 105. Children included: Anderson Gentry, Nancy Gentry, Mary Ann Gentry, Benejah Gentry, Susannah Gentry, Eliza Jane Gentry, Martha Gentry, Jane Gentry, and Lucinda Gentry.
8. James Gentry, born 15 October 1786 in Albemarle County ; married 4 August 1808 in Virginia to Elizabeth Tooley; died 15 January 1861 in Meshack, Monroe County , Kentucky
9. John R. Gentry, born circa 1790 in Albemarle County; married 20 November 1804 in Albemarle County to Mary "Polly" Thurman; died circa 1845 at Crozet, Albemarle County, Virginia.
10. Robert Gentry, born 1788; married Mary Wingfield; died 1879. Children included: Albert Gentry.
11. Martha "Patsey" Gentry; married Elijah Dawson; moved to Calloway County , Missouri . Children included: Robert Dawson, Elizabeth Dawson, Martin Dawson, and James Dawson.
12. Kate Gentry; married her cousin John P. Gentry, moved to Madison County, Kentucky.
13. Frances Gentry married William Dunkum. Children included: Susan Dunkum.
14. Susan Gentry did not marry.
Ann JONES was born (date unknown).
Benajah GENTRY and Ann JONES had the following children: