1283. Amanda L. COMSTOCK448 was born on 13 October 1861 in McDonald County, Missouri.350,370 She died on 12 May 1956 at the age of 94.464
1880 Census. Taylor Twp, Greene Co MO Hh 266
W. T. Hawkins, age 32, b. MO, father b. TN, mother b. KY
Mary J., age 26, wife, b. TN, parent b. TN
Nathaniel B., age 8, son, b. MO
Florance P. age 4, dau, b. MO
Amanda Comstock, 18, sister-in-law, b. Mo, parents b. TN
1900 Census. Taylor Twp, Greene Co MO
Alonzo B. Caldwell, b. Feb 1858, age 42, married 20 years, all in household b. MO
Amanda L., wife, b. Oct 1862, 37, 10 children - 8 living
Earl, son, b. Dec 1881, 18
William C., son, b. Mar 1885, 15
Ora T., dau, b. Nov 1888, 11
John, son, b. May 1891, 9
Alfonso, son, b. Dec 1893, 6
Nellie G., dau, b. Dec 1895, 4
Paul B., son, b. Mar 1897, 3
Willard, son, b. Apr 1899, age 1
John, Father, b. Oct 1827, age 72, widow
Amanda was living in Springfield, Mrs. A. B. Caldwell, in care of Nat Benton, circa 1945. John A. Comstock wrote to her saying he was compiling a history & genealogy of the Comstock Family. Her brother, John P. Comstock had given him many facts but he wanted more information to complete the record of Leander Brown Comstock's family. Dated Jun 15, 1934 He sent a questionnaire for her to fill out. She wasn't very helpful. The questions are abbreviated:
1. What town were you born: McDonell Co [McDonald], Missouri
2. Date of your birth: Oct 13, 1861
3. Date of your marriage to Alonzo B. Caldwell: Oct 21, 1880
4. Date of your brother William Kendrick's marriage to Narcissa Fondren: he was so much older I can't remember
What town did they marry? Strafford, Mo.
5. Date of your sister Mary's birth: can't say
What town did Mary die? Strafford, Mo.
6. Date of Mary's marriage to Taylor Hawkins. can't say
7. Date of sister Sophronia's birth? 3 years older than me
8. Where was Sophronia born: can't say
9. Date of Sophronia's marriage to Jackson P. C. Langston. [no answer]
10. What town was your brother George Oliver born: can't say
What was the date: [no answer]
11. In what town did his marriage to Florence Dolly Branch occur. Strafford, Mo.
What was the date [no answer]
12. Did George have children? Names and addresses. one son, Strafford, Mo
13. What town was borth Thomas Henry born? Strafford, Mo
What the date? 3 years younger than me
14. What was the date of George's marriage to Caroline Delp don't know
There was an error in the question - John A. meant to ask about Thomas Henry's wife - he's the one who married Caroline Delp.
15. Will you kindly give me the present addresses of George's children. Strafford, Mo.
16. Have you a picture of your father, possibly also your grandfather, that you can lend me long enough to make a copy. The originals will be returned to you in good order.
Amanda wrote in pencil on the back of the questionnaire:
sorry, I have been so long
in telling what little I know
which isn't much. I am the youngest
or next to the youngest of a large
Family, 7 children 3 years Between.
& I can't remember there Births &
if you will write to George's
Wife at Strafford Missouri Green Co
Sophronia Langston. also have the
same address. they can tell you
more than I can as they are older.
George's Son live there too.
Sophronia should know all about
Mary & Kindrick
Haven't any Picture of Father.
Mrs. A. B. Caldwell
Amanda and Alonzo are buried Greenlawn Memorial Gardens, Springfield, Greene Co, MO.
Amanda L. COMSTOCK and Alonzo B. CALDWELL were married on 21 October 1880.350 Alonzo B. CALDWELL was born on 1 February 1858 in Missouri. He died on 20 January 1920 at the age of 61 in Springfield, Greene County, Missouri.
Missouri Death Certificate #694
Alonzo B. Caldwell of 2156 N. Campbell, Springfield, died 20 Jan 1920. His death was caused by injury to the base of the brain in a fall in run-away accident. He was born 1 Feb 1858 and was married to Amanda Caldwell. He was retired. His father was John Caldwell, b. VA; his mother Malissa Turiete, b. TN. The informant was Earl K. Caldwell of 2035 Franklin, Springfield. Alonzo was buried Greenlawn cemetery.
Amanda L. COMSTOCK and Alonzo B. CALDWELL had the following children:
|Earl CALDWELL was born in December 1881 in Greene County, Missouri.|
|William Cecil CALDWELL was born in March 1885 in Greene County, Missouri.|
|Ora T. CALDWELL was born in November 1888 in Greene County, Missouri.|
|John CALDWELL was born in May 1891 in Greene County, Missouri.|
|Alfonso CALDWELL was born in December 1893 in Greene County, Missouri.|
|Nell G. CALDWELL was born on 19 December 1894 in Greene County, Missouri. She died in November 1976 at the age of 81 in Indiana. |
Nellie married Benjamin Combs. She is buried Crown Point Cemetery, Indianapolis, Marion Co, IN.
|Paul B. CALDWELL was born in March 1899 in Greene County, Missouri.|
|Millard CALDWELL was born in 1900 in Greene County, Missouri.|
|Alma L. CALDWELL was born in 1902 in Greene County, Missouri. |
Alma L. Caldwell, born Springfield, MO, married Nat. W. Benton of Missouri, on 17 Dec 1923, Hamilton County, OH. Nat was the son of M. E. Benton and Elizabeth Wise. Alma's parents listed as A. B. Caldwell and Amanda Comstock.