198. Eliza Jane ADAMSON24 was born on 31 August 1822 in Wayne County, Indiana.17 She died on 12 August 1897 at the age of 74 in Huntington, Emery County, Utah.17
Eliza was married to Moses Trader Shepherd on 22 Mar 1840, Muncie, Delaware Co IN. He was born 9 Jan 1820 in Warren, Franklin Co, Ohio. They had 11 children. John Mack b. 1840 & d. 1841, Priscilla Ann, William C. R., born in Delaware Co IN but died in Iowa before 1850. Nancy, b. in Missouri, d. 1851 in Iowa. Aaron b. in Pottawattamie Co, Iowa. Peter b. & d. 1852 "on the plains", presumably on their trek to Utah. Eliza Jane, Moses Andrew, Benjamin Franklin, Isaac Garner & Mary Elizabeth all born in Utah.
The 1860 Census in Sanpete Co, Utah, shows a slightly different family.
Moses T. Shepherd, age 40, b. Ohio. Eliza 37, b. IN. Hyrum age 13, b. Iowa [son of Hannah & 1st husband Isaac Hatch], Aaron A, 10, b. Iowa. Next household is Hannah Shepherd age 42 with Thaddeus 10 [another son of Hannah & Isaac Hatch, Joseph 3, Danl Y. 4/12 [Joseph & Daniel were sons by Moses], Eliza J. age 6, Moses A. 4, and Benj. F. 2 [these last three are Eliza's children]. Apparently Moses was one of the early Mormons that practiced polygamy and the children were variously distributed between the wives in this census.
Moses married Eliza Jane Adamson 22 Mar 1840 in Delaware Co IN. The database says that they sold their 32 acres in 1848 to her brother John Adamson [I don't find that Eliza had a brother John - she did have a brother-in-law John, husband of her sister Priscilla]. After the Shepherds got to Iowa, Eliza was disillusioned and refused to continue West. Moses went on without her and married Martha Amanda Bryant about 1847 or 1848 in Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie Co, Iowa. They had one son. Moses made a trip back to Iowa to help other immigrants to Utah and persuaded Eliza to go West - Martha & the baby had died when he returned to Utah. Moses then married Hannah Garlick on 1 Apr 1856 in Provo, Utah, by whom he had sons Joseph & Daniel. Hannah had previously been married to Issac Hatch by whom she had sons Hyrum & Thaddeus. He married Mary Christina Olsen on 17 Dec 1864 in Salt Lake City and had a daughter Rhoda, b. 1865, who was only about a year old when her father Moses T. Shepherd died.
Moses died 19 Sep 1866, Spanish Fork, Utah Co, UT.
Eliza married (2) Stephen Markham. He was born 9 Feb 1800, Avon, Livingston Co, NY, the son of David and Dinah (Merry) Markham. Stephen had six other wives; he died 10 Mar 1878, Spanish Fork.
Eliza married (3) to Joseph Huff.
She had a total of eleven children by her first husband, Moses Shepherd.
1. John Mack Shepherd, b. 30 Dec 1840, died young in Indiana
2. Priscilla Ann Shepherd, b. 4 May 1842, Mt. Pleasant, Delaware Co IN; married Benjamin Franklin Barney in Salt Lake City - he had three other marriages
3. William Cummins Riley Shepherd, b. 1 Apr 1844, Mt. Pleasant; he married Anna Pierson, 27 Nov 1871
4. Nancy Shepherd, b. 17 Dec 1846, died ca 1850 in Missouri
5. Aaron Adamson Shepherd, b. 9 Aug 1849, Council Bluff, Pottawattamie Co, Iowa. He married Eliza Ann Job, 27 May 1869, Goshen, Utah Co, UT
6. Peter Burr Shepherd, b. 21 Jul 1852, died same year in Council Bluff.
7. Eliza Jane Shepherd, b. 12 Sep 1853, Spanish Fork, UT. Married (1) William Howard Avery, 1 Nov 1869, Salt Lake City.
8. Moses Andrew Shepherd, b. 31 Jan 1856, Palmyra, UT. He had three wives and fourteen children.
9. Benjamin Franklin Shepherd, b. 5 Apr 1858, Spanish Fork. Three wives, ten children.
10. Isaac Garner Shepherd, b. 8 Aug 1861, Spanish Fork. Twelve children.
11. Mary Elizabeth Shepherd, b. 15 Sep 1864, Spanish Fork. She married James Douglas Hay, Sr., 14 Oct 1880, Salt Lake City. He was born in England. They both died in Idaho; twelve children.
Eliza Jane ADAMSON and Moses Trader SHEPPARD were married on 20 March 1840. Moses Trader SHEPPARD was born on 9 January 1820 in Ohio. He died on 19 December 1866 at the age of 46.