Updated The Woolverton/Wolverton Family page on 02/09/2005
Note to Woolverton's! I have been in touch with a son of Lester Woolverton, a daughter of Lester Woolverton, daughter of Raymond Woolverton.
Note to Carol Woolverton, daughter of Lester, your email address does not work, please contact me.
Also I have been in touch with Edward Woolverton's grandson.
This is good news and our family tree is growing.
Post a Message to the Samuel Wolverton/Charles Woolverton/Roy Woolverton forum.
(Please note this is not a general Woolverton forum but rather a forum for this particular family, if you think you might have a relative from this line then by all means go ahead and post.)
Click Here For The Samuel Wolverton/Charles Woolverton/Roy Woolverton forum
Opps! the page was deleted. Until I have time to bring it back please except my apologies.
Roy Edward Woolverton & Rose Hazel Sparks Woolverton Photo Taken 1950's
It is said that this line of Woolverton's starts back with Charles Woolverton, who brought along with him two brother's, Gabriel and John, but if so no records have ever been found regarding these other two brothers. Charles' great-granddaughter Elizabeth Woolverton, who married her cousin, Robert Wolverton, July 21, 1798, and who died March 23, 1863, joyfully told her children and grandchildren of the old days when Charles, Gabriel and John came to America and founded the family. It is said she always named the three brother's in the same order. For more information on this line of Woolverton's go to Glen Gohr's Home page he posts a message from the author of the book David McDonald and Nancy McAdams, "The Woolverton Family" dating from 1693-1850 and Beyond on The Woolverton's and more families are talked about in this huge book. The book is wonderful and we found our line of Woolverton's in it. (We are an adopted line of Woolverton's who's family roots of Shearman/Sherman are unknown to us at this time. Where our family ties into the Woolverton's is through Samuel Wolverton the son of Thomas Woolverton. There seems to be much confusion about Samuel Wolverton whether he is a son of Thomas or a brother according to David McDonald & Nancy McAdam's book "The Woolverton Family". However I myself believe as does, Carl Wolverton that Samuel is indeed the son of Thomas Woolverton. To go to Carl's website click below.
My line starts with Samuel Woolverton, he was born in 1835 and married Mary Worden, according to my mother her grandfather Charles was adopted by Samuel after his mother Mary married Samuel, and her first husband ? Shearman/Sherman died.
So our connection to the Wolverton family is through an adoption. My great grandfather Charles Wolverton was adopted by Samuel Wolverton. Charles's mother Mary Worden born in 1857 in Massachusetts (Daughter of Sarah Worden, Connecticut, and Unknown father Worden) Mary is the widow of ? Shearman/Sherman. So my great grandfather is actually a Shearman possibly spelled Sherman, but I have yet to find any Shearman/Sherman family members since I do not know what the name of Charles natural father is or how he died.
According to my mother though Charles died and Mary remarried. It was after doing research with just that bit of information my mother gave me that I stumbled onto all the information I have obtained about the Woolverton family. Much of the information has still not been added to my Genealogy program as for two years now I have been unable to devote much time to research. I am hoping this winter my life will be settled a bit and I can once again devote the time necessary to update more lines and continue with my research to find Charles Wolverton's natural father ? Shearman/Sherman.
My grandfather said he was related to General Sherman. I have yet to find a connection to this line of Sherman's. My grandfather apparently told both sets of children he had this information, and so all my cousins also bring this up. But no one has any answers one way or the other.
Charles was born and raised in Michigan, following many of the census records he lived his whole childhood in Detroit Michigan. Mary and Samuel had 4 children together, their names are: Mary Wolverton, John Wolverton, Theadore Wolverton, Bessie Wolverton. Theodore Wolverton at the age of 14, born in Michigan, son of Samuel Wolverton and Agnes [sic] Wolverton, both residents of Detroit, died on 21 August 1881 in Detroit of Typhoid Fever.
It is possible that Samuel Wolverton used the spelling Wolverton, with one o as it does appear with one o in every census I have seen with him and wife Mary. But my grandfather says his father Charles Woolverton used two o's and said that is the way the family spelled their name. The spelling, Wolverton/Woolverton, and after reading much about the Woolverton's I notice the spelling changes frequently and within families. Much may have to do with the census taker misspelling the name or family members not being able to read or spell, or perhaps different family members just preferred different spellings of the name.
Click here to read about the adopted line of the Woolverton's who are Shearman's/Sherman's by blood. Below find the 1860 and 1870 census of Samuel Wolverton and Mary Worden Shearman Wolverton. I have followed three census's from 1860 through 1880 Detroit Michigan. Two are online for your viewing.
My Grandfather Roy Woolverton worked for the Ford Motor Company for quite a few years in Detroit Michigan while married to his first wife Martha. He left his first wife because of infidelity on the part of Martha. He left Michigan & moved to Ohio where he met and married my grandmother Rose Hazel Sparks. They were married in Buffalo, New York on January 18, 1930. They spent their honeymoon visiting Niagara Falls. At the time of their marriage my grandmother was 30 years old and my grandfather was 40. They had three children together, Shirley, Beverly & Charles all were born in Ohio. Only two of my grandfathers children are alive today and that is my mother Beverly & I believe his daughter Wilma from his first marriage to Martha. My grandfather worked as a Printer and moved throughout Ohio quite frequently, while my mother was growing up because he did color printing. Later after retiring from the Printing business he and my grandmother bought some homes and fixed them up together. They moved to Florida because apparently they had loved it there in 1958 after visiting some friends and decided to buy a home there. Two weeks after arriving there my grandfather became quite ill and died July 27, 1958 in Churluota, Florida. During the time of my grandfather's death we were living in France as my father was stationed there for three years. My mother says my grandfather held me after my birth April 9, 1958. I never knew my grandfather but have felt I have known him my whole life in many ways because my mother has kept his and her mothers memory alive in my heart, as my mother speaks fondly of her father and had a great love for him as well as her mother. My grandfather was laid to rest in Glen Rest Cemetery, Reynoldsburg Franklin County, Ohio. After his death my grandmother sold the house they had just purchased back to their friends and moved back to Ohio. Many years later she married a retired Coast Guard W. D. Kilfoyle and moved to Red Bluff Missouri. She was not happy in the marriage as it seems W. D. Kilfoyle did not treat her kindly. However she died of heart problems in Barlow Kentucky April 11, 1974 a few days after my 16th birthday. She was 74 years old.
Roy Edward Woolverton not sure of the date.
All of this Genealogy was researched by me from Samuel Wolverton down. The Generations before Samuel Wolverton were through the help of a book I mentioned above called "The Woolverton Family" by David McDonald and Nancy McAdams. Go to Glen Gohr's Home page for information on how to obtain a copy of this book for yourself.
There also seemed to be much confusion about Samuel Wolverton in David McDonald's and Nancy McAdams book about whether Samuel was a brother or cousin to Thomas and a son to James Wolverton and Mary Lamerson. A fellow Wolverton researcher Carl Wolverton was able to help me when he stumbled across my site just recently and was able to help me clear up some confusion with his helpful emails to me. I really appreciate his help. So to Carl Wolverton I say thank you very much! he helped me connect Samuel to the proper line and I can now put on my website the ancestor's of Samuel Wolverton knowing that they are correct and sound. You can find Carl's website below:
Here is Carl's cousin Ted Wolverton's website: http://www.wolvertonfamily.org/
If you need a look up of one or two people from "The Woolverton Family" book I am able to do that for you. If I am not busy. However I am not able to devote a lot of time to research your family. I can see if your line is in the book or not and maybe a few sentences from the book about your particular family. See the email button at the bottom of this page.
Census Records for the year 1860 for the Wolverton Family, Detroit Michigan Ward 3, Page 146.
Census Records for the year 1870 for the Wolverton Family, Detroit Michigan Ward 3, Page 95.
Census Records for the year 1920 Woolverton Family Roy Woolverton, Detroit Michigan Ward 19, Sheet Number 8 B. January 6, 1920.
Descendants of James Barton Woolverton
Generation No. 1
1. JAMES BARTON4 WOOLVERTON (THOMAS3, THOMAS2, CHARLES W1) was born February 07, 1785 in Maugerville, Sunbury Co., NB, and died in St Clair, MI. He married MARY M LAMERSON 1812 in NY. She was born 1797 in Salina, NY, and died February 1849 in St Clair Co., MI.
Notes for JAMES BARTON WOOLVERTON:
James Barton Wolverton was born in Maugerville, Sunbury Co., NB on 07 February, 1785 and moved with his parents and siblings to Northampton, Carleton Co., NB in 1798. A Woodstock Anglican Church baptismal record dated 3 May, 1802 indicates that he was "18 years of age the 7 of February next". Based on a story told by an uncle and recorded in a letter dated 29 April 1914 , James had an altercation with his father and brother Joseph and left home without any further communication. He returned to the USA, where in 1812, he was listed with the NY Militia Volunteers. James may have married twice but there is no record. He married Mary M Lamerson in 1812 and had relocated to Michigan by 1820 where he spent the rest of his life. (this was written by Carl Wolverton as mentioned above).
Children of JAMES WOOLVERTON and MARY LAMERSON are:
i. DAUGHTER ONE5 WOOLVERTON, b. 1814.
ii. DAUGHTER TWO WOOLVERTON, b. 1815.
2. iii. THOMAS WOOLVERTON, b. 1816, NY; d. 1868, MI.
3. iv. JACOB L WOOLVERTON, b. 1818, OH; d. April 23, 1872, Detroit, MI.
v. SON THREE WOOLVERTON, b. 1825.
vi. HANNAH S WOOLVERTON, b. 1826, St Clair, MI; m. MATHEW WESTBROOK, March 09, 1845, St Clair, MI; b. 1825.
4. vii. MARY M WOOLVERTON, b. 1827, St Clair, MI.
5. viii. JOSEPH A WOOLVERTON, b. 1829, St Clair, MI.
ix. ELIZABETH WOOLVERTON, b. 1833; m. EDWARD C KEATING, April 16, 1854, Detroit, MI; b. 1828.
6. x. WILLIAM WOOLVERTON, b. 1834, St Clair, MI.
7. xi. SAMUEL WOOLVERTON, b. 1837, St Clair, MI.
Generation No. 2
2. THOMAS5 WOOLVERTON (JAMES BARTON4, THOMAS3, THOMAS2, CHARLES W1) was born 1816 in NY, and died 1868 in MI. He married PHOEBE SCOTT 1836 in St Clair, MI. She was born in MI, and died in MI.
Children of THOMAS WOOLVERTON and PHOEBE SCOTT are:
i. SAMUAL6 WOOLVERTON, b. 1837, St Clair, MI; d. MI.
Notes for SAMUAL WOOLVERTON:
In 'The Wolverton Family - 1693-1850 and Beyond' (page 597) the 1850 census is used as the evidence that Samuel was the son of Thomas and Phoebe. The comment that 'he seems to have died young , as in a letter dated 4 April 1917 N. Woolverton reported that Mary L, Samuel's grandmother ( should read: 'wife of his Uncle Samuel) had named as children of Thomas only Henry, Kitty, Elizabeth' . The fact that James age 66 and Samuel age 12 were included in the 1850 census of the Thomas household, but not in later census reports, suggests that they were both visitors. It is possible that there was only one Samuel born in 1837. He was the son of James Barton Woolverton as shown in the 1840 and 1850 census and confirmed by Mary L Worden Woolverton (page 236).
ii. MARY ELIZABETH WOOLVERTON, b. 1839, St Clair, MI; d. October 18, 1890, Bay City, MI.
iii. CATHERINE WOOLVERTON, b. 1842; m. CALVIN CHAMBERLIN, June 09, 1860, St Clair, MI.
8. iv. GEORGE HARVEY WOOLVERTON, b. 1844, St Clair, MI.
3. JACOB L5 WOOLVERTON (JAMES BARTON4, THOMAS3, THOMAS2, CHARLES W1) was born 1818 in OH, and died April 23, 1872 in Detroit, MI. He married (1) ELECTA P ANDREUS January 28, 1840 in Orion Township, St Clair, MI. She was born 1822 in Orian, St. Clair County, MI, and died 1863 in Detroit, MI. He married (2) JOSEPHINE C MCHOSE January 25, 1864 in Orion, MI. She was born 1845 in Detroit, MI, and died December 08, 1934 in Detroit, MI.
More About JACOB L WOOLVERTON:
Burial: Elmwood Cemetery, Detroit, MI
More About JOSEPHINE C MCHOSE:
Burial: Elmwood Cemetery, Detroit, MI
Children of JACOB WOOLVERTON and ELECTA ANDREUS are:
i. JOHN6 WOOLVERTON, b. 1842.
ii. JAMES J WOOLVERTON, b. 1846.
4. MARY M5 WOOLVERTON (JAMES BARTON4, THOMAS3, THOMAS2, CHARLES W1) was born 1827 in St Clair, MI. She married JOHN SMILEY November 06, 1847 in St Clair, MI. He was born 1822 in Newport, MI.
Children of MARY WOOLVERTON and JOHN SMILEY are:
i. CLORISTA6 SMILEY, b. 1847.
ii. FRANK SMILEY, b. 1864.
5. JOSEPH A5 WOOLVERTON (JAMES BARTON4, THOMAS3, THOMAS2, CHARLES W1) was born 1829 in St Clair, MI. He married (1) SYNTHIA COLLINS January 09, 1849 in St Clair, MI. She was born 1829 in St Clair, MI. He married (2) JANE CORLETT January 17, 1855 in Cuyahoga Co, OH. She was born 1825 in Cuyahoga Co, OH, and died December 26, 1856 in Cleveland, OH.
More About JANE CORLETT:
Burial: Cuyahoga Co, OH
Child of JOSEPH WOOLVERTON and SYNTHIA COLLINS is:
i. JAMES M6 WOOLVERTON, b. 1849.
Child of JOSEPH WOOLVERTON and JANE CORLETT is:
ii. JANE6 WOOLVERTON, b. 1855, Cleveland, OH; d. February 27, 1856, Cleveland, OH.
6. WILLIAM5 WOOLVERTON (JAMES BARTON4, THOMAS3, THOMAS2, CHARLES W1) was born 1834 in St Clair, MI. He married ELIZABETH. She was born 1840 in NY.
Children of WILLIAM WOOLVERTON and ELIZABETH are:
i. FRANK6 WOOLVERTON, b. 1859.
ii. JENNIE WOOLVERTON, b. 1873.
7. SAMUEL5 WOOLVERTON (JAMES BARTON4, THOMAS3, THOMAS2, CHARLES W1) was born 1837 in St Clair, MI. He married MARY L WORDEN. She was born 1839 in Massachusetts.
More About SAMUEL WOOLVERTON:
Children of SAMUEL WOOLVERTON and MARY WORDEN are:
9. i. CHARLES EDWARD 6 WOOLVERTON, b. 1857, Detroit, Wayne Co., MI; Adopted child. (SHEARMAN)
ii. MARY WOOLVERTON, b. 1862, Detroit, Wayne Co., MI.
iii. JOHN B WOOLVERTON, b. 1866, Detroit, Wayne Co., MI.
iv. THEODORE WOOLVERTON, b. 1868, Detroit, Wayne Co., MI; d. August 21, 1881, Detroit, MI.
More About THEODORE WOOLVERTON:
Cause of Death: Killed in an accident in Detroit MI at age 14
v. BESSIE WOOLVERTON, b. 1870, Detroit, Wayne Co., MI.
Generation No. 3
8. GEORGE HARVEY6 WOOLVERTON (THOMAS5, JAMES BARTON4, THOMAS3, THOMAS2, CHARLES W1) was born 1844 in St Clair, MI. He married JENNIE M MORTON December 01, 1872 in Bay City, MI. She was born 1852 in Bennington, MI.
Child of GEORGE WOOLVERTON and JENNIE MORTON is:
i. RUSS MORTON7 WOOLVERTON, b. 1877.
9. CHARLES EDWARD SHEARMAN6 WOOLVERTON (SAMUEL5, JAMES BARTON4, THOMAS3, THOMAS2, CHARLES W1) was born 1857 in Detroit, Wayne Co., MI. He married AMANDA PHEBE SCOTT November 20, 1883 in Stockbridge, Ingham Co., MI. She was born 1864 in MI.
Notes for CHARLES EDWARD SHEARMAN WOOLVERTON:
Charles Shearman was adopted by Samuel Woolverton and name changed to Woolverton after Samuel married Mary Worden Shearman.
More About CHARLES EDWARD SHEARMAN WOOLVERTON:
Adoption: Aft. 1860, Name Shearman changed to Woolverton
Children of CHARLES WOOLVERTON and AMANDA SCOTT are:
i. GUY7 WOOLVERTON.
ii. LOTTI WOOLVERTON.
10. iii. ROY EDWARD WOOLVERTON, b. December 08, 1889, Stockbridge, Ingham County, MI; d. July 27, 1958, Churluota, Florida.
Generation No. 4
10. ROY EDWARD7 WOOLVERTON (CHARLES EDWARD SHEARMAN6, SAMUEL5, JAMES BARTON4, THOMAS3, THOMAS2, CHARLES W1) was born December 08, 1889 in Stockbridge, Ingham County, MI, and died July 27, 1958 in Churluota, Florida. He married (1) MARTHA ELIZABETH GEHRKE 1910. He married (2) ROSE HAZEL SPARKS January 18, 1930 in Buffalo, New York January 18, 1930. She was born August 06, 1899 in Ripley Township, Huron Co., Ohio, and died April 11, 1974 in Barlow, Ballard Co., Kentucky.
More About ROY EDWARD WOOLVERTON:
Burial: Glenn Rest Cemetery, Reynoldsburg, Ohio
Children of ROY WOOLVERTON and MARTHA GEHRKE are:
i. MARGARET8 WOOLVERTON.
ii. EDWARD WOOLVERTON, b. 1911, Detroit, MI; d. July 08, 1944, Normandy, France.
More About EDWARD WOOLVERTON:
Cause of Death (Facts Pg): 1944, Killed in Action WWII
Military service: Corpral, U.S. Army, Awarded Purple Heart
iii. ARTHUR WOOLVERTON, b. November 29, 1912; d. February 1984.
iv. LEONARD TRAVIS WOOLVERTON, d. 1914, 9 month old.
v. WILMA WOOLVERTON, b. 1918.
vi. LESTER WOOLVERTON, b. January 09, 1920; d. December 1968.
vii. RAYMOND JAMES WOOLVERTON, b. May 19, 1924; d. March 21, 1997.
Children of ROY WOOLVERTON and ROSE SPARKS are:
11. viii. SHIRLEY JEAN8 WOOLVERTON, b. June 01, 1931, Cleveland, Ohio; d. June 2000, Ohio.
12. ix. CHARLES EDWARD WOOLVERTON, b. December 15, 1934, Ashland, Ohio; d. March 20, 1991, Tallahassee, Florida.
13. x. BEVERLY JANE WOOLVERTON, b. .
Generation No. 5
11. SHIRLEY JEAN8 WOOLVERTON (ROY EDWARD7, CHARLES EDWARD SHEARMAN6, SAMUEL5, JAMES BARTON4, THOMAS3, THOMAS2, CHARLES W1) was born June 01, 1931 in Cleveland, Ohio, and died June 2000 in Ohio. She married JAMES STAPLETON February 26, 1949 in Ashland, Boyd Co., Kentucky. He died 1998.
Children of SHIRLEY WOOLVERTON and JAMES STAPLETON are:
14. i. SHERYL SUE9 STAPLETON, b.
15. ii. STEVEN JAY STAPLETON, b.
16. iii. SANDRA STAPLETON, b.
12. CHARLES EDWARD8 WOOLVERTON (ROY EDWARD7, CHARLES EDWARD SHEARMAN6, SAMUEL5, JAMES BARTON4, THOMAS3, THOMAS2, CHARLES W1) was born December 15, 1934 in Ashland, Ohio, and died March 20, 1991 in Tallahassee, Florida. He married DELORES PANGBORN in Columbus, Ohio.
Children of CHARLES WOOLVERTON and DELORES PANGBORN are:
i. TERESA9 WOOLVERTON.
ii. CHARLES WOOLVERTON.
iii. ROY DALE WOOLVERTON.
iv. LARRY WOOLVERTON.
13. BEVERLY JANE8 WOOLVERTON (ROY EDWARD7, CHARLES EDWARD SHEARMAN6, SAMUEL5, JAMES BARTON4, THOMAS3, THOMAS2, CHARLES W1) was born December 31, 1932 in Perry Township, Huron Co., Ohio. She married (2) DAVID SCHELLHOUS. He was born in Roseville, California. She married (1) NORMAN EYLES CARTER March 17, 1953 in Franklin Co., Columbus, Ohio. He was born December 20, 1933 in Chicago, Illinois.
More About NORMAN EYLES CARTER:
Occupation: U.S. Air Force
Children of BEVERLY WOOLVERTON and NORMAN CARTER are:
i. KIRK ALLEN9 CARTER, b.
17. ii. KATHY ANN CARTER, b.
18. iii. NORMAN EYLES CARTER, b.
~*~Click here to go to the adopted Woolverton's who are Shearman's/Sherman's by blood.~*~
If you need a look up of one or two people from "The Woolverton Family" book I am able to do that for you, if I am not busy. However I am not able to devote a lot of time to research your family to see if your line is in the book or not and maybe a few sentences from the book about this particular family.
The Woolverton Page updated 02/09/2005 09:12 AM -0800
~Content & Photo's Copyright Kathy Carter White 2004 and Beyond~
Content May Not Be Copied Or Downloaded, Permission Granted By Author For Printing Only