OF THE COMMITTEE
Mch 20th 1671/2. At a meeting of the Commtee for ordering the affairs of the Plantation.
Present CAPT HOLYOKE,
Agreed to lay out the Bounds of Stony River Plantation, according to the Grant of the Honored
Genl Court, to the content of Six Miles Square, and that the South bounds of it be a little below the foot of the Island ; or Dear about half a Mile below the Island, in the Great River against the Falls. As Lt
Cooper, and Quarter Master Colton, who are appointed to go about the work To morrow, shall see meet. This being near about Six Miles from Springfield Bounds to that Place, They are to begin thereabout at the Great River, and thence to Run on upon a West line at least Six Miles or more, and Charles
Fery, Joseph Leonard, Samuel Harmon and Joseph Harmon, are appointed to attend
them in this work for running the Line, and Marking it out. And what they shall do herein; they are Speedily to make Return thereof to
The Return of the Persons above mentioned, which were appointed to lay out the Bounds of this Plantation, is as followeth.
We began about half a Mile below the Island in the Great River at the Falls; upon the top of a rising, or Hill ;
Where there had been
a cellar dug,* being about Eighty Rods above the Brook, on the East Side of the Great River: commonly called Saltonstalls Brook, against
which, we Marked a Great Tree on the West Side of the Great River. The first Tree we marked, being a large White Oak, standing 2 or 3 Rods from the Bank of the Great River, The Tree we marked
was a Black Oak in the Range about 6 Rods further Westward, and so running on upon a West Line Six Miles, Marking several Trees in the Range, we fell under the
East Side of the Foot of the Mountain. The line running about 20 Rod to the
Northward of a pretty large Marsh, or Meadow, which lay on the south of our line, and over the swamp which goeth down on the
Back Side of this Meadow, about 2 Rod to a Great Black Oak, which we marked on all four sides. That this is a True account of what we
have done: ¥ Witness our hand this 91st day of March 1671/2.
These Persons went on the Range but six miles, but the line is to go on further
West, a Mile and a Half more, to Make Seven Miles and a Half, and so this Return is accepted by the
So the North Line, by Reason of Westfield Bounds, Can be but Four Miles and a
THOMAS COOPER GEORGE
SAMUEL HARMON JOSEPH HARMON
* This cellar may have been dug when the first attempt to settle the Town was made in 1661.
¥ See p. 10. p. 49.
ß See Town Lines, pp. 12, 49,
This page update Wednesday, September 19, 2001
Copyright September 1999 ©, Kathy
All of "The Front Page" pages are designed to be viewed by
a "INTERNET EXPLORER" Browser