Search billions of records on

How I Did The Research

I know that genealogy research can consume all the available time that one is willing to give it. So I set some specific objectives, and resolved that once I had achieved them, I would move on to another project. Here they are:

There was little possibility that I would visit any of the locations involved, so my research would have to rely on the Internet, correspondance, and local volunteers.

My preliminary search of quickly revealed that the JONGELING line is well researched. The kids can make those connections for themselves! KALLEMEYN was another matter.

Nov 2003

Starting with the 1930 U. S. Census for South Dakota, I quickly found the KALLEMEYN family that included Lisa's grandfather and using census information for the preceding decades, tracked them back to Nebraska. There in Lancaster County, I found the first immigrant ancestors, including the elder Jacob. But members of that family group were born in Iowa, and more research there found Martin and Klaas who were apparently not in the direct line of the immigrant. Another immigrant? Yes, as it turns out, one who had come to the U. S. a decade or more before the first one I found.

Dec 2003

Searches of the 1920 and 1930 Federal Census indexes revealed most instances of the surname were concentrated in the Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota, and Minnesota region of the Midwest.

At this point, it appeared that all of the individuals that I was finding were somehow related to the same Kallemeyn family, but I did not know how. To sort them out I needed to construct a complete genealogy for all of the family groups that I found. Sigh. This was going to take longer than I thought!

Jan 2004

By the end of December I had reached the conclusion that all of these Kallemeyns belong to the 1848 Iowa immigrant family. Since I have been unable to consult primary source documents (other than the Federal Census) I began to worry that I might have to leave the proof of this assertion to another researcher.

Then a couple of big things began to bear fruit!

In early December, as a result of a letter I had written to the Oskaloosa (Mahaska Co.) Public Library, I was contacted by Linda Eliason, a volunteer researcher at the library. For an hourly fee, paid to the local genealogical society, she would research local sources for me. We agreed to terms, and she went to work.

On New Years Eve I discovered the Genlias and Zeeuws Archief ISIS (Zeeland Archives) civil records databases in the Netherlands. It took a while to figure out how to work them, but it began to pay off immediately. I found marriage, birth, death records and many other useful facts. Dozens (if not hundreds) of promising records. More things to sort out!

Linda turned out to be a careful and thoughtful researcher. (In fact, she is wonderful!) After some time ploughing through local published sources, without too much success, she turned to the courthouse records. There her hard work payed off. She located Jan's will, identifying him and proving his relationship to Jacob, Martin, and Klaas. And she found property transaction records, allowing me to reach many conclusions about the actions of the family. By the end of January I had photocopies of these records in hand.

I signed up for a "freepages" account at Rootsweb and finished my draft of the web content. Then, pressed by business and family matters, my work came to a stop.

Feb 2005

A year had gone by since I looked at the Kallemeyn material. NFL season is over, NHL is on strike, too early for MLB. Don't like basketball. I am going to finish this website before opening day!

Ka.Web.10 Rev 27 Feb 2005